NATION

PASSWORD

FALL 2014 SHORT STORY CONTEST

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Advertisement

Remove ads

The NAR
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The NAR » Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:42 am

(Just wrote this a few days ago for LA. Enjoy :)
THE BLOOD OF OUR BROTHERS

There was nothing but darkness in my field of vision. While my eyesight was gone, I could hear the muffled gunshots, screams of the wounded, artillery, and the immensely terrifying sound of Japanese War Cries. Through the chaos, I could hear the calm palm trees wave in the wind as if the dead tried to fly away from the pain and suffering of war.

I heard fellow Marines charging past, their boots rumbling the ground like a volcanic eruption. Funny, we were on a volcano right now. It was terrifying-not knowing. Not knowing what was going on. Am I dead? Is this it? 4 years of fighting for my country-4 years of taking lives for it-4 years of losing the best men I’d ever served with… gone? And for what? Oil? Power? Patriotism? We weren’t fighting for America… we weren’t fighting for the Allies, or world peace. We were fighting for our brothers: Marines. When it all narrows down… nothing matters but them. They ARE your family, your lifeline… your hope...

I felt a tug from my backpack straps, then a pull, which ripped me off the ground and onto my back. It was now just a blurred out face. “MIKE!”

My eyes cleared up some, and I gazed up at a man. His face was covered in sand, dust, and blood, and by looking at him… I could tell it wasn’t his blood. His green eyes hardly pierced me through the fear that irradiated from him. His helmet, decorated with tallies and a camo cover, dangled lazily atop his head, the straps undone and waving in the wind. It was Joey: My best friend.

“Christ, Michael! GET UP!” he yelled. Then it hit me. I jumped up, scrambling in the sand for a second before throwing myself against a sand dune for cover. It must be low tide.

There were Marines on either side of me, dodging bullets that would then lodge themselves in the sand. The sand dune stretched for miles down the island, and in the distance, a giant mountain: Mount Suribachi-our target…

There were artillery shells smashing into the beach behind us at a constant rate, sending fellow Marines- our brothers- into the air, then crashing back down into the sand like ragdolls. They then lay there, only a twisted bloody corpse.

The sand… it was moist… but not from the sea. It was soaked with the blood of the fallen. It was then, the sheer velocity of the war hit me.

We were… just kids. More than half us us were fresh outta High School. Those poor mothers… sending their dear sons away to war, and then watching a man in uniform approached their door with a yellow letter. “Your son is a hero” it said. “His duties and sacrifices will be commemorated forever” it said. Fancy way of saying you’re son was killed. The only type of closure they had was the fact that their sons were coming home a hero. Hero or not, they were still coming home in a box.

But ARE we heroes? Heroes are supposed to save people, protect people. All WE have done is kill. Kill fathers, neighbors, friends… what does that make us? I dont know… I really don’t…

“Can I get you something, sir?” I heard

Suddenly, it was all gone. The horrors of war were replaced by a nice, cozy corner restaurant. A waiter leaned on the counter, looking at me concerned. “Sir, are you alright?” he asked. Reluctantly, I nodded.

“Just freakin’ dandy” I said sarcastically.

“Can I get you anything, sir?” he asked.

“Yes, a coffee please. Extra sugar”

“Sure thing, pal” the waiter said, then leaving to fetch my coffee. I again zoned out, forcing away the memories that had consumed years of my life.

“Mike! What’s the matter with you!? Open fire!” I heard, and realized it was Joey. I snapped back into the zone-the one you enter when you could die any second. I raised my rifle, an M1 Carbine, over the crest of the sand dune and took a deep breath… then fired.

It was never easy, killing someone. Knowing that you stole the life from someone else, but you still lived to tell the tale. It wasn’t as satisfying as the officers first said it is. “They aren’t people, they’re Japs!” they said. “Do it for America” they said.

Next to me, a Marine-not even 18, leaned against the sand dune with a giant radio pack. He had the phone up to his ear as he spoke in such a terrified tone.

“6th Platoon to USS New York! Jesus! 6th Platoon to USS New York!”. The boy looked at me. “I can’t get establish a comm with the ship!”

“Was it hit!?” I asked, terrified.

“Negative!”

“Then why can’t you contact them!?”

“I’m not su-” his head snapped to the side and he crashed down into the sand, rolling down the dune and came to a halt at the bottom. Blood began to spread around through the sand.

“My God…” Joe said as he looked down at the corpse of the young boy. I waved my hand to gain his attention.

“Joe! Suck it up! We gotta get off this damn beach!” I yelled. “Say here and give em’ hell!”.

I dove forward and slid down the dune to the dead Marine pulled the radio off of his back. I set it down in the sand and picked up the phone.

“USS New York, this is Sergeant Wolfe! Do you copy?” I yelled. “Repeat. USS New York! Do you copy!?!?”. I felt a sense of failure as I heard nothing in response. I slammed the phone into the sand and cursed God. I picked up the M1 Carbine and proceeded back to the top of the sand dune, where Joseph was firing down range at the Japanese.

“Alright, Joe! We have to get off this beach! On my mark, you cover me, okay!?”

“What!? Are you insane!?”

“Guess so! I’m gonna take out the Japs in the first row of bunkers and clear a path for an advance!”

Joe shook his head and wiped the sweat away, smearing the dirt and grime across his face. “Good luck”.

-------------

“Sir?”

Instantly, the terrors of war were gone. The corpses, the blood, the craters and the awful smell of rotting flesh. It was… cozy. Smelled of peacefulness and happiness. It was a small corner restaurant in Queens.

“Sir… are you feeling alright?” said the waiter in a white overall and a white chef’s hat. Reluctantly, I nodded. “Um... “ I cleared my throat, still thinking it was filled with dirt and ash from bombs and smoke and sand.

I looked down at my Coffee. “Thanks a lot”

----------

I ran. Faster than I knew I could, dodging waves of bullets and nearly falling into the sand that was moistened by the blood of our Brothers. The corpses showed the eternal pain that their families would soon feel.

I was close-close to the first bunker. I’m gonna make it. C’mon! By the time I was within 20 yards, my movements were seemingly mechanic. I couldn’t feel my legs. The stamina was depleting, but it was refilled by the hope that I will once again see those I love.

Suddenly, and immense and sharp pain erupt from my upper thigh, and I crashed onto the ground, right on my face, then grinded through the sand to a halt. The sand stung. As I lay there, face in the bloody sand and my face now bruised and bleeding, I drifted away, and the pain subsided.

I was the, once again, in the restaurant, at the counter, staring down at my coffee that had only gone down a little bit. I looked up, and saw a man and a woman directly across the counter. The woman was beautiful, with a long, elegant red dress and pretty blue eyes. The man next to her was much older, with a sad expression and grey eyes. Wrinkles stretched across his face.

He caught me looking at him, and fixed his fedora. “America is at war again…” he mumbled, sipping his coffee. “Terrible, terrible things are going to happen, you know…”

I looked back to my coffee, trying not to think of it. The stillness of the coffee melted away. It was sand.

Despite the pain that thrashed through my veins, I pushed myself up off the ground, arms wobbling as I did. I crashed onto my back and laid there, feeling the bullets whiz by my head. It was scary-any moment a bullet could hit me, and I’d be just like the others: a Marine coming home in a box.

My body was weak. I knew I was losing a lot of blood, but I HAD to go, there was no backing down now. My brothers needed me, and I’d rather die than give up on them. I let loose my pack and tossed it into the sand, then ripped of my jacket, revealing only a tank top. I pulled out my combat knife from my right thigh, the opposite of where I was shot, and began to cut off the sleeve.

When it was off, I rolled it up and bit down on it. Through the cloth, I muttered a prayer in the midst of the chaos.

“Dear Lord, give me the strength to do what needs to be done to return home to my family”

With that, I jabbed the knife into the wound and screamed at the pain. I bit down so hard I thought I’d shatter my teeth. My vision blurred as the bullet came out atop the knife, then rolled off into the sand. I crashed back, tired, but knew that sleep would be a death sentence.

To stop the bleeding, pulled the sleeve out of my mouth and wrapped it around my leg. I tied it to my leg, wincing at the pain. I then grabbed my M1 Carbine.

I had to leave the backpack; it was weighing me down, and I needed all my energy to get out of the open and into the trenches. I made the Cross Sign across my chest and took a deep breath. “The Lord is my Shepherd”.

There was no turning back now. My feet pounded in the sand as I limped as fast as possible towards the Japanese lines, bullets whizzing past me and striking terror deep into my soul. Any second I could be dead, and that wasn’t easy to know. Most soldiers tried to block that out, but it was really difficult. The threat was always there, and there was no running from it, it wasn’t something you could escape without being court martialed and possibly shot.

Then I fell. It felt like an eternity that I was suspended in the air, the ground rushing at me like a train. The thoughts and memories that priests said we would feel blasted into my mind like a trench gun. Ma, Pa… Millie… all those I hold so dear, at home, safe and sound, while every second I am closer to death.

Then I crashed onto the ground, the air getting ripped from my lungs. I lay there in the dirty, muddy sand, coughing painfully and trying to suck up air desperately, but I couldn’t. Every breath hurt more and more- I felt so helpless.

I would die, laying in some Japanese Entrenchment in the middle of some stupid island in the middle of the Pacific. The guys in Europe, they were liberating people in France, Belgium, the Netherlands-they were heroes. People cheered them on as they stood over a now destroyed Nazi Germany. Who were we liberating? Maybe a village that has no idea WHAT is going on? We’ll never invade Japan, and even if we did, it’s not like they’ll LIKE us. Those Army boys in Europe are heroes, and we’re just Marines; dying painfully for nothing. An island, that is what we’re dying for. A damn patch of sand and dust.

“Shūi no teki!” I heard, and looked up to see a Japanese soldier. His Type 69 LMG was leveled at my chest. He wore a greenish uniform with a net over his helmet. I sat up, coughing, as he shook , the gun rattling. He was just a kid, maybe 19.

“Kūki-chū ni te o irete, anata no amerika sukamu” said the Japanese soldier.

I looked at the kid with understanding-knowing the pain he was suffering at this very moment.

“Hey… it doesn’t have to happen like this. Just put the gun down, and walk away…” I said calmly, though I was filled with fear.

“Watashi wa te o ire tari, watashi wa utsu zo kami ni chikau!”

“I don’t understand what you’re saying”

“Ima!”

Then I charged. He fired, but I lunged sideways and missed the spray of bullets, then crashed into him, forcing him to drop the gun and smashing him into the trench’s wall. Only after I had him by the throat did I realize I had to weapon. I hesitated, but snapped back into action. I let loose his throat and shoved him back, planting a kick in his gut. He clenched his stomach and fell over.

Then, I pulled of my helmet. I took his off, snapping the straps against his neck, then tossed it high in the air to show the other Marines that I’d reached the trench. I then turned back to the Japanese soldier and sighed. “I’m… I’m sorry”.

I wound up and crashed the heavy helmet into his skull. He fell over on his side, eyes wide open- dead… I put the helmet back on-my hands shaking. I just wanted to curl up in a ball and die. It’d be a helluva lot better than living through this hell. I turned around and walked back to where my M1 Carbine lay, and picked it up.

As I passed by the dead soldier, I stopped. Looking down at his LMG, I realized that I needed it. I dropped the M1 Carbine into the sand and knelt, grabbing the LMG and adjusting it to make myself comfortable.

Then, I began to limp towards a small wooden bunker, where I could see the barrel of MGs sticking out and firing. I made the cross symbol across my chest before raising the MG. I pulled the trigger…

“Hey, kid” I heard. Again, the war was gone, and the restaurant was back. The man looked at me concerned.

“Yeah?”

“It’s gonna be okay…”

“How do you know?”

“War never changes, kid… I was you once”

“Oh really?”

“Yes. World War One, back in France, in the trenches”

I nodded and then sighed. “I don’t know what’s gonna happen… maybe it’ll all be okay. They’ll put me in some rear-D unit or something. Never was the leader type”

“You’ll do okay, kid. You got that look in your eyes: faith”

I shrugged. “When you’re charging a fully defended beach run thick with Japs, what does faith matter?”

“It means everything”

“How?”

“Lemme tell you something, kid. When I was in those trenches, not knowing whether or not the next minute will see you alive, faith is all you have. Faith in God, faith in your family, faith in your brothers that are fighting right beside you. They are your faith, your hope, your reason”

I found myself surged with patriotism as I mowed down the Japanese soldiers, leaving a pool of blood and a pile of corpses. I moved towards the flagpole, which held up the Japanese flag, and began to lower it. When it down, I searched around my pockets.

“Where is it…?”

I felt a rectangular piece of metal in my pocket and pulled it out. A silver lighter. I put it up against the corner of the flag, and it soon caught fire. Quickly, I raised the flag up into the sky, watching the fire spread. There was a cheer from other Marines on the beach at the sight of the burning Japanese Flag. I climbed up out of the trench.

I motioned my arm towards the Mountain, and the Marines all understood. The roar of battle emerged as they charged towards the Mountain……

I looked at the man, smiling. “Thanks a lot, friend… thanks so much…”. I stood, tossing on my fedora and putting on my overcoat.

“Hey!” yelled the waiter. “You didn’t pay for that!”

I turned and smiled. “I’ll pay you when I get back”

And then, as the sun beat down on me at the top of Mount Suribachi, beating and soaking into my soul as if God himself had soaked into us. My weight and strength transferred to the metal post of the flag. Marines also assisted. The wind was powerful atop of the Mountain.

When it was placed firmly in the dirt, we stepped back to survey it. It ripped brutally in the wind, but it was strong, and held it’s place. Joey patted by back. “It’s a beautiful thing, Mike... “. I smiled and saluted the flag. “I pledge allegiance, to the flag, of the United States of America. And to the Republic, for which it stands, one nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all”....

2 Months Later….

A smile was planted firmly on my face as I walked casually into the restaurant in Manhattan, then sitting down in the same seat as I did 4 years ago. The waiter was the same man as before, waiting on the now crowded store.

I waved and he came over. “Yes sir, may I help you?” he asked.

“Yes, you may. How much is a coffee?”

“25 cents”

I nodded and reached into my pocket, pulling out a twenty dollar bill and handing it to the waiter. “Sorry it’s late, but I promised”. He scanned me, his eyes then widening.

“You… you look so different…”

I laughed. “Yeah well you’re not looking so good yourself old man”. He laughed in response.

“Good to see you”

“And you.”. I tipped my hat and stood. “If you’ll excuse me, I have a life to fulfill. Get out and enjoy yourself, the war IS over”

I walked out of the restaurant, a smile planted on my face. “God Bless you, Joseph. Rest in Peace”
America, The Military, First Responders, Bernie Sanders, Democracy Liberty, Equality, Freedom of Speech, Right to Bear Arms, Mixed Economic System, Canada, Germany, Leafyishere, IDubbz, FilthyFrank, RONALD REAGAN

Stalinism, Fascism, Feminazism, Feminazis, Feminazis who are still living, Feminazis who are dead, annoying Gay Pride people, FUCKEN WEEABOOS, emos, constantly-depressed people, Donald Trump, Hillary Clinton

If you ever want some QUALITY ASS memes, TG me, and I'll hook you up ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Corvus Metallum
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 29, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Corvus Metallum » Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:48 am

6000 words due November 5th? Sounds like something my English teacher would assign. I'll do it. :p

Nazi Flower Power
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 24, 2010
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Nazi Flower Power » Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:28 pm

Corvus Metallum wrote:6000 words due November 5th? Sounds like something my English teacher would assign. I'll do it. :p

6000 words is a maximum, not a recommendation. Don't English teachers usually give you a minimum or a range rather than a maximum?

Actually, I've been surprised at how many short entries we have so far -- especially after people asked about exceptions to the 6000 word limit.

And I need to get my ass in gear and finish my own story. I have about 4500 words so far.
The Serene and Glorious Reich of Nazi Flower Power has existed for longer than Nazi Germany! Thank you to all the brave men and women of the Allied forces who made this possible!

Shaggai
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 27, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Shaggai » Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:35 pm

I may or may not end up finishing my entry.
piss

Corvus Metallum
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 29, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Corvus Metallum » Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:32 pm

Nazi Flower Power wrote:
Corvus Metallum wrote:6000 words due November 5th? Sounds like something my English teacher would assign. I'll do it. :p

6000 words is a maximum, not a recommendation. Don't English teachers usually give you a minimum or a range rather than a maximum?

Actually, I've been surprised at how many short entries we have so far -- especially after people asked about exceptions to the 6000 word limit.

And I need to get my ass in gear and finish my own story. I have about 4500 words so far.

I know that, but if I don't set my goal to the maximum I end up with something horrendously subpar to my own standards of non-RP writing. :P

My English teacher (thus far in the year) has consistently said she wants 2 1/2 pages for her essays, but I certainly wouldn't be surprised if she decided to do a word count especially since I'm in the APLAC class she teaches.

Norstal
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 07, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:42 am

Nazi Flower Power wrote:

I bet they're still writing. *nods*
Toronto Sun wrote:Best poster ever. ★★★★★

New York Times wrote:No one can beat him in debates. 5/5.

IGN wrote:Literally the best game I've ever played. 10/10

NSG Public wrote:What a fucking douchebag.

Supreme Chairman for Life of the Itty Bitty Kitty Committee

Rostogovia
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 28, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Rostogovia » Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:48 am

Do I see a trend towards war stories?
NS's Resident PETA Nut
Feminist
Up The IRA! Proud Irish Republican Socialist
☭☭☭Trotskyist.☭☭☭
Bernie Sanders 2016, the worlds only honest statesman.
Gender - Male
Religious beliefs: On the corner of atheism and agnosticism.

★Comrade of the Commonwealth of Socialist States (CSS)★

Old Tyrannia
Game Moderator

Founded: Aug 11, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby Old Tyrannia » Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:55 am

Rostogovia wrote:Do I see a trend towards war stories?

Looks like it. Hopefully by the time the judges get around to my story they'll be bored of war stories and find a nice horror story in the vein of H.P. Lovecraft and M.R. James a refreshing change. ;)
"Classicist in literature, royalist in politics, and Anglo-Catholic in religion" (T.S. Eliot). Still, unaccountably, a NationStates Moderator.
"Have I done something for the general interest? Well then, I have had my reward. Let this always be present to thy mind, and never stop doing such good." - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations (Book XI, IV)
⚜ GOD SAVE THE KING

Nazi Flower Power
Postmaster of the Fleet

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Nazi Flower Power » Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:53 pm

Just want to remind everyone the deadline for this is coming up. If anyone has anything they've been working on for this contest, now would be a good time to finish it up and post it.
The Serene and Glorious Reich of Nazi Flower Power has existed for longer than Nazi Germany! Thank you to all the brave men and women of the Allied forces who made this possible!

Unitaristic Regions
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 15, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Unitaristic Regions » Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:39 pm

Nazi Flower Power wrote:Just want to remind everyone the deadline for this is coming up. If anyone has anything they've been working on for this contest, now would be a good time to finish it up and post it.

Thanks for the reminder. My story is about done (wrote everything, just have to type out a few parts.) It stars pubescent satanic demon prince Sz'arlak "the Younger" as protagonist, who finds out soul harvesting isn't all it's trumped up to be when your dear daddy doesn't think you're old enough to go out and party :D.
Last edited by Unitaristic Regions on Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Used to be a straight-edge orthodox communist, now I'm de facto a state-capitalist who dislikes migration and hopes automation will bring socialism under proper conditions.

Lunas Legion
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 21, 2013
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Lunas Legion » Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:02 pm

Nazi Flower Power wrote:Just want to remind everyone the deadline for this is coming up. If anyone has anything they've been working on for this contest, now would be a good time to finish it up and post it.

I forgot about this.

Welp, let's see what I can write over this weekend since I have most of it planned out anyway.
Last edited by William Slim Wed Dec 14 1970 10:35 pm, edited 35 times in total.

Confirmed member of Kyloominati, Destroyers of Worlds Membership can be applied for here

Forsher
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 30, 2012
New York Times Democracy

Postby Forsher » Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:07 pm

I think I shall not be entering this time around... it's the middle of exams and even when it wasn't (i.e. the vast majority of the length of entry) I have been busy. However, I shall try (I'm nothing if not irresponsible)... I already have a start.
That it Could be What it Is, Is What it Is

Stop making shit up, though. Links, or it's a God-damn lie and you know it.

The normie life is heteronormie

We won't know until 2053 when it'll be really obvious what he should've done. [...] We have no option but to guess.

Skeckoa
Minister

Founded: Jan 06, 2013
Ex-Nation

SUBMISSION

Postby Skeckoa » Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:25 pm

Madam Andrea Adelita

I have never been the type to go around putting on record the successes of my work projects. I only spoke when spoken to, and I kept quiet about my various affairs. As much as I tried to stay consistent to that ideal of living, it simply must be cut at the corners if I want to move up in this world. When the barrio came to my face and asked "what have you done for the hood?", I would say, "I did what I could". I want to not care about their response, nor what they think about me, but when someone has hidden bodies, housed brothers hiding from the police, and have kept drugs out of the ranks of our most influential people, I would not have to prove myself to anybody. I guess that's something that I should have expected.

So what am I to do in a moment like this?

The city was hot on its toes for the past several months. The whole gentrification, slumming issue had finally began to cause friction between the 'canos and the Americans. Housing rights this, artists that, hipsters there, enrichment nowhere. The combination of bad words, fist fights, city hall protests, and the anti-yuppie movement had culminated into a steaming pile of hot shit, to which everyone felt the heat of. That friction between the Americans and the 'Canos made its heaviest mark in the schools. It was in their that the 'Canos and the poor Americans congregated daily, and where we took on the name of our block in an everlasting fight of sovereignty and class. Fights, car break-ins, even the graffiti in the bathrooms told part of the tale of what the neighborhood had been going through for the past half-decade. From there, we have Andrea.

It had been decided by her that she served the sole purpose of starting fights at school. Hair pulling, screaming, the whole nine yards. I remember best, one fight that she had with a couple of gringas after gym class. We were in the locker rooms and of course, as if mandated by holy decree, the gringas were trying their best to dress back into their regular clothes. Andrea knew this. She had seen them walk in, talk amongst themselves, and take their silent night-like crawl to the back where the showers were. They had a favorite stall, the one latched to the corners away from everyone else. Andrea took no time to stand up, and march down the middle of the hall. We of course, made space for her. There was no reason to get in the way, besides, we had an idea what would happen, and we secretly wanted it to happen. Everyone knew where these girls lived, and more importantly, we knew the families that used to live where she lived. The resounding essence of Andrea's footsteps took hold of the room's throat and refused to let go. When she got to the stall, she grasped her eyes onto the two, particularly the taller one, she was the prettier of the two. She inspected her thoroughly, passing her eyes over her entire body, taking in everything she could about her. Andrea took her time in her examination and with the most mocking of grins announced, "Aww, she got the body of a chiquitita. Oh honey, don't act like you need this", stealing her bra off the rack and parading it showing off the fact that the size was, let's admit it, less than what someone her age should have. The actions that ensued were at the least several degrees of variation from typical gringa thought, she slipped into her shirt and shorts and followed Andrea out the door. Everyone followed her out into the hall. I remained by my locker and heard it all. The gringa (Amanda is her I name I believe) went out into the hall where everyone would hang out, and grabbed Andrea by the shoulder and turned her around. Expecting this, Andrea heaved the gringa onto the floor and began swinging her fists. They would go at it, turn, take different turns on top of one another, but for the most part, it was easy to note that Andrea was the better fighter of the two. Andrea was eventually able to subdue her adversary. She put her knees on each of her arms and began final humiliation of the American girl. She ripped open a large hole in Amanda's shirt. The boys cheered. They were cheering all right.

So what am I to do in a moment like this?

I had the displeasure of knowing Andrea. Poor yes, but she had always the support of her mother, and especially of her father. From a young age she learned how to box and how to defend her younger sister. She constantly sought out people who dared cross her little sister and fought them off accordingly. I was assigned to read and comment on the poems that she wrote in Mr. Constanza's Poetry class back in middle school. She wrote about feeling like an eagle, soaring. She talked about how she would be the woman that everyone could depend on, and that she would carry them through the Mojave Desert and into the rich valleys of California. She even made poems acting as an immigration lawyer, defending her clients, and starving off the beast that wished to rip them away from their homes. The last day for that particular semester, she wrote her heart out on the pages of her journal. Seeing just how much of a toll this had on her, we skipped class and hung out at her place almost in tears. Once again, she was back at it, as Andrea fought, she put her nation on her shoulders, and let their wishes be telegrammed by every swing of her fist. As soon as her intentions became clear. another detail also came to light. This was a joke. A sorry excuse for a fighter. I'm sure that if the context of gentrification did not exist, the two women would be good friends. However, Andrea didn't care about that. She cared about looking strong, making her people strong, and being able to help ensure that, because of her, no other 'cana would have to look at the Americans as unstoppable creatures, but more like spiders. Scary, yet they fit so snug under the sole of a shoe. What about the boys there, cheering their heads off? The national fight was their fight, not hers. The fight of nations took place in boxing rings, street corners, even when buying prostitutes. It would be nice to let the women fight, but that, for a so very gentlemanly society, was out of the question. So as she fought for nation, the boys cheered when the gringa gave a slight desperate tug at Andrea shirt, exposing part of her breast (as quick as she covered up, as quick as the cheers turned into them encouraging her to go on fighting). When she ceased to beat the poor girl, she walked away the same way that a boxer would after successfully defending their championship belt. When the boys saw her walk away, they cheered her on the same way that they would cheer on a stripper.

The hours passed and the rest of the school day passed along with it. Mr. Archer may of said something worthwhile in history class, I would not have known. I was too busy thinking looking at a crane out the window. It looked majestic as it cut through the air lacerating the face of the street below it, erecting a new condo complex. I could have gotten work done in study hall, but instead, I invested my time reading through a torn-up copy of Jane Eyre that sat in the bookshelf that was in the classroom. About forty pages were ripped out from the middle of the book. Once I got to that part, I would have to actually find a place that had those missing pages. After school, everyone would go and spend an hour or two with their friends to go eat, smoke, or have some fun. Amanda and a few more of the gringas would always go to someone's house and hang out there. Andrea on the other hand, would go with some people and smoke. It seemed so blatant the attempts made by some of the boys there to get her attention. She'd been asked out many times, and has almost always have said no. People would seek to hook-up with her, kiss her. She was just never about that kind of stuff. Yet, maybe it was not just the boys, because I don't think that her girlfriends ever thought much about when she would place her hand on their thighs, overly compliment them, or made excuses to get them to change clothes in her presence. I have never been the type to go and gloat about my successes, but we did as teenagers do, and none of these boys will ever know her like I got the pleasure to.
Last edited by Skeckoa on Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:23 pm, edited 4 times in total.
One of those PC liberals with anti-colonist sympathies
——————————
————————————
————————————
CALIFORNIA REPUBLIC
————————————

Spoder
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 15, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Spoder » Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:45 pm

Spodermen's Adventure

On an uninhabited island

Juses > Spodermen, wut teh fuk r we doin here?

Spodermen > Shut teh fuk up Juses ur an fagit. We r stranded on tis islend becuz ur stooped dad shot us out awf teh ski

Juses > I can ken walk on water. C u later fagit.

*Juses walks across the sea*

Spodermen > W8. I ken spin webs.

*Spodermen swings off the island and is captured by black Dolan*

Spodermen > Halp me Juses u litel bich
Last edited by Spoder on Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Legalize gay weed
Time to get aesthetic.
I support insanely high tax rates, do you?

Unitaristic Regions
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Unitaristic Regions » Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:02 pm

Spoder wrote:Spodermen's Adventure

On an uninhabited island

Spodermen > Shut teh fuk up Juses ur an fagit. We r stranded on tis islend becuz ur stooped dad shot us out awf teh ski

I really like your plotting and style, but the pacing is still a tad sub-literary. You might want to work on trimming your work of adjectives (swamping a first draft with the little buggers is done by the most talented of writers.)
Used to be a straight-edge orthodox communist, now I'm de facto a state-capitalist who dislikes migration and hopes automation will bring socialism under proper conditions.

Spoder
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Spoder » Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:03 pm

Unitaristic Regions wrote:

On an uninhabited island

I really like your plotting and style, but the pacing is still a tad sub-literary. You might want to work on trimming your work of adjectives (swamping a first draft with the little buggers is done by the most talented of writers.)

It's the Abridged version.
Legalize gay weed
Time to get aesthetic.

Unitaristic Regions
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Unitaristic Regions » Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:09 pm

Spoder wrote:

It's the Abridged version.

Ah, then the need for a more "pressing" style of description would arise, naturally. Still, I really like that sense of urgency, that getting to the point of Spoderman, in how he asserts he can spin webs. Certainly, here we are shown the moral conviction and inner strength of a well-developed protagonist.

Spoder
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Spoder » Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:13 pm

Spoder wrote:It's the Abridged version.

Ah, then the need for a more "pressing" style of description would arise, naturally. Still, I really like that sense of urgency, that getting to the point of Spoderman, in how he asserts he can spin webs. Certainly, here we are shown the moral conviction and inner strength of a well-developed protagonist.

I think the abridged version captures Spodermen's internal struggle really well in fewer words.
Last edited by Spoder on Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Legalize gay weed
Time to get aesthetic.

Unitaristic Regions
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Unitaristic Regions » Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:15 pm

Spoder wrote:

I think the abridged version captures Spodermen's internal struggle really well in fewer words.

Especially the inverse-Oedipal Complex with God that you so cunningly described by using Jesus as a metaphor, and this all in ONE SENTENCE. The abridged version is obviously a work of artistical expression not hitherto witnessed on this earth.

Spoder
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Spoder » Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:17 pm

Spoder wrote:I think the abridged version captures Spodermen's internal struggle really well in fewer words.

Especially the inverse-Oedipal Complex with God that you so cunningly described by using Jesus as a metaphor, and this all in ONE SENTENCE. The abridged version is obviously a work of artistical expression not hitherto witnessed on this earth.

Wait until I publish the revised edition.

Homeric similes and Platonic philosophy x10.
Legalize gay weed
Time to get aesthetic.

Unitaristic Regions
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Unitaristic Regions » Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:18 pm

Spoder wrote:

Wait until I publish the revised edition.

Homeric similes and Platonic philosophy x10.

My strokes of awe are getting ready as we speak.

Guns in Eden
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jul 16, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Guns in Eden » Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:20 pm

It was a beautiful spring morning. The lawn sparkled with dew and the air was comfortably cool. Ricky Jackson shuffled down the flagstone walkway to the sidewalk to retrieve the Sunday paper. He was still wearing his pajamas and not yet fully awake. He hadn't had his morning coffee yet, and he was never fully awake until he had his coffee. He walked back to the house with the paper tucked under his arm, but just as he was about to reach for the door handle, something caught his eye and he stopped dead in his tracks. Blood was smeared across his door in the shape of an "X." He immediately remembered the news report he had seen the night before about a series of murders in which the victims' homes had been marked with bloody "X"s on the door. Fear gripped him, and he immediately snapped out of his early morning stupor. He hurried back inside without bothering to close the door behind him, tossed the newspaper on the kitchen table, and called 911. It was all he could do to keep his hands steady while picked up the phone and dialed. A woman answered the phone and asked whether he needed the police, the fire department, or an ambulance. "The police!" said Jackson. "Someone drew a bloody 'X' on my door like those murders..."

"What's your address, sir?" asked the woman on the other end of the line.

Jackson gave his address, and the woman connected him to the nearest police department. A police officer asked what the problem was, and Jackson explained about the "X" on his door. "All right," said the police officer. "We'll send someone over there to check it out. Don't do anything to the door in the meantime. I mean don't wipe off the blood or anything. We need to see it exactly the way you found it."

"Okay," said Jackson. He hung up the phone and went out on the porch to wait for the police. He paced anxiously back and forth, up and down the porch, while he waited. It only took a few minutes for the police to arrive, but it felt like hours. He felt a rush of relief when he saw the police car coming up the street, and he went down to the curb to meet the police officers. There were two of them, a middle-aged black woman with braided hair and a young white man with piercing blue eyes.

"Someone drew an 'X' on your door in blood?" the black woman asked.

"Yeah," said Jackson. He pointed up toward the house. "It's right there."

The police officers went up to the porch to look at the door. They exchanged a few words, then the man returned to their car to get a camera and an evidence collection kit. He took pictures of the door and checked for fingerprints while the black woman talked to Jackson. She said her name was Detective Anita Mosby, and she was investigating the recent murders that had been on the local news. She asked him if he had any idea who had put the "X" on the door, if he knew anyone who had a grudge against him. He had no idea who could have done it, and he didn't think it was anyone he knew. She asked if he had noticed anything else out of place in his house or if he had seen anything suspicious in the last few days. He hadn't.

When they were done gathering evidence, Mosby and her partner suggested to Jackson that he should stay somewhere else for a day or two and they would watch the house to see if the murderer appeared. Jackson didn't feel safe staying at the house, so he decided to go stay with a good friend who lived nearby. Mosby assured him that the police would keep an eye on both Jackson's house and his friend's house where he was staying. They suspected they were dealing with a serial killer, and they took it very seriously.

Jackson spent most of the day talking to his friend, Bill. First they talked about the ominous mark on Jackson's door, then they moved on to other subjects. They talked about their families and their favorite sports teams, and Jackson tried unsuccessfully to relax. When night came, he was still too anxious to sleep. He lay awake in bed for a long time wondering what was happening at his house.

Meanwhile, Mosby and her partner were sitting in their car across the street from Jackson's house, drinking coffee and talking about the case. There had been three murders so far, and all of them had occurred between the hours of 10 PM and 2 AM, so the two detectives has taken a nap in the afternoon and returned around 9:30 in the evening to watch for the murderer. All three murders had taken place in the victims' homes, all three homes had been marked with an "X" smeared across the door in cow's blood, all three victims had been white men in their 60s, and all of the bodies were found laid out in their beds with broken necks, as if they had been hanged and then cut down and returned to their beds. The forensics people had not yet determined what the murderer used to snap their necks. There were no fibers found on the bodies, no ropes or bungee cords where they didn't belong, no ceiling fans or light fixtures pulled out of place by the weight of a body. The news networks had nicknamed them the "X Marks the Spot" murders.

A flicker of movement caught Mosby's eye and she looked up from her coffee. Her partner was already reaching for the door handle on his side of the car. A tall gaunt figure was moving in Ricky Jackson's kitchen and a dim bluish glow lit the walls behind him. The detectives could not tell where the light was coming from or how anyone had gotten into the house. They had not seen anyone walking up on the sidewalk or through the yard. Mosby got on the radio to inform headquarters what was happening, then got out of the car and crossed the street, walking toward the house. Her partner and a pair of officers from an unmarked patrol car that was parked up the block were converging on the house as well, and two other officers who had been parked around the corner took up a position by the back door. Mosby allowed the patrolmen in the front of the house to go ahead of her with guns drawn. One of the men pounded on the door, yelling, "Police! Open up!"

They heard footsteps approaching the door, and one of the officers pointed his gun at the door so that it would be aimed at whoever came out. The latch clicked, the door opened, and a ragged figure appeared in the doorway. His chin was buried under a long tangled beard, his cheeks were sunken, and his skin was gray and peeling. He was wearing a battered blue wool hat and a moth-eaten wreck of a coat. He looked more like a corpse than a living man, except for his eyes, which gleamed with an odd intensity. "Can I help you, officers?" he said in a strange old-fashioned accent.

"What are you doing here?" the officer by the door demanded. He had his gun pointed directly at the man in the doorway, but the man didn't seem to be afraid of it.

"I came to kill the man who lives here," said the man in the doorway. "He doesn't seem to be home." He said it in a conversational tone, as if it was no big deal, like he was talking about grocery shopping or going out to eat. The detectives and officers were startled by his honesty, and chilled by his apparent remorselessness. It wasn't every day that a suspect confessed his intention to commit murder so readily and with so little emotion.

"You're not allowed to kill people," said one of the officers. "Put your hands up and come out here."

"I suppose you have a job to do," said the man, and he did as he was told. The officers cuffed him, read him his Miranda rights, and searched him for weapons. They didn't find any weapons or any kind of ID. While they were patting him down, Mosby introduced herself and asked the man's name.

"Zachary Butler," the man said. "I am from Ohio, I was born in 1837, I fought for the Union in the Civil War, and I died a prisoner of war. You cannot have me executed because I am already dead, and that is why I am cooperating with you, because there is nothing you can do to me that will make any difference. You will not stop me from killing the man who lives in this house." He sounded perfectly serious, and now that he mentioned it, his coat did look like it had once been part of a Union uniform. The rest of his outfit was either civilian attire or Confederate military issue from late in the war when the Confederates got sloppy.

"Going for the insanity defense, are we?" one of the police officers quipped.

"No, I am not," said Butler. "I do not need a defense because I will never stand trial."

"Why do you think that?" Mosby asked.

"Because I am dead," said Butler. "I cannot walk among the living by daylight. You can take me to jail tonight if you wish, but I will be gone in the morning."

"Really?" said Mosby.

"Yes, really."

"You know, you might be right that you'll never stand trial. We gotta get you a psychiatric evaluation."

"We can do all that down at the station," one of the patrolmen said. Mosby stepped out of the way, and the officers marched Butler down to their car. He got in the back of the car without any fuss, and one of the officers radioed headquarters to let them know what was happening.

The interrogation room had plain white walls and simple furnishings. There were a couple of cameras mounted on the ceiling at the corners of the room. Butler sat with his arms folded on the table in front of him and looked around the room. Most suspects were nervous or angry when they were brought in to be interrogated, but Butler just looked bored. Mosby asked him if he wanted any tea or water. "No, thank you," said Butler. "I'm dead; I don't need to drink."

"All right," said Mosby. She sat down across from him and set a folder full of notes on the table in front of her. A chill ran down her spine when their eyes met and she had to remind herself that she was the one interrogating him and not the other way around. He was one of the most intimidating suspects she had ever interrogated. Part of it was his physical appearance, but most of it was the fact that he wasn't afraid of her. She was thankful that there were armed men in the next room watching the video feed from the cameras, ready to come to her rescue if anything went wrong.

She asked Butler what he was doing at Ricky Jackson's house, even though she already knew the gist of it, and Butler told her again that he intended to kill Jackson. "Why did you want to kill him?" Mosby asked.

"It is my duty," said Butler. "I am a soldier, not a murderer. I kill when I am ordered to kill."

"So who told you to kill Ricky Jackson?" Mosby asked.

"I'm afraid I can't tell you that," said Butler. An unpleasant smile flickered across his cracked grayish lips. "You're a detective. You'll have to do some detective work and figure it out for yourself."

"Have they told you to kill anyone else?"

"Yes, but I think you know about that. Mr. Jackson is the only one that I haven't already killed."

"But you've killed other people?"

"Yes."

"Who have you killed?"

Butler named the three victims of the "X Marks the Spot" murders. Mosby asked him some questions about the murders to make sure it was a legitimate confession and not some sort of sick attention-seeking behavior, and Butler told her about the murders. He said there was no murder weapon. Since he was a ghost, he could use telekinesis to snap people's necks. Mosby didn't believe him, but she let him tell his version of the story. Butler said he was not the one who marked the doors with blood. Someone else marked them, and that was how he knew where to go and who to kill.

"Do you know why they picked Ricky Jackson's house?" Mosby asked.

"Yes," said Butler. "Several years ago, a black man who lived in this area was murdered by a group of white men, and the police refused to do anything about it. His family thinks the police chief himself might have been involved in the murder, but that particular detail is not important. The police chief died of a stroke before I ever heard of any of this. But not everyone involved with the murder has died of natural causes in the intervening years. The brother of the man who was lynched is the one who told me the story, and I agreed to give him revenge. He marks the homes of the murderers, and I kill them."

Mosby was grateful to get some information about who Butler was working for, but she still found the story deeply troubling. She could sympathize with the dead man's brother wanting revenge, and she could understand why he didn't trust the justice system to handle it, but he still had to be stopped. Mosby felt sorry for him, but she couldn't let him get away with murder. She had a job to do. She shook her head and heaved a sigh. "If Ricky killed someone, you could have just come to the police and told us," she said. "Things are different now. We don't let people get away with murder just because the victim was black and it happened a long time ago. It wouldn't have been a problem if you just came and talked to us, but now you went and killed someone. Now you're looking at murder charges."

"You can't press charges against someone who's dead," said Butler.

"Is the guy you're working for dead?" asked Mosby.

"No," said Butler. "You can press charges against him if you figure out who he is. That is why I haven't told you his name."

"Okay," said Mosby, "but why didn't he just come in and talk to us if he knows who killed his brother?"

"Because he can't prove it," said Butler. "All the physical evidence is gone because it's been so long. It would be his word against the murders'."

"So how do you know he's telling the truth?"

"I could tell by the rage in his eyes and I could hear it in the sound of his voice when he told me the story. And I know the men of Georgia. The blacks are more trustworthy than the whites when it comes to these sorts of things."

"I get what you're saying," said Mosby. "Racism is a big problem -- but black people can still lie."

"This man wasn't lying," Butler insisted. "You know, there was a time when I wouldn't have taken his word. I was racist when I was alive. I didn't like having blacks in the army. I didn't think they would fight effectively, and I didn't trust them with weapons. But I've had a long time to think about it, and I understand more now than I did back then. This man was telling the truth. His brother was murdered in cold blood for nothing but the color of his skin, and he deserves to have revenge."

Mosby sighed again. She couldn't help agreeing with Butler, at least a little. She was appalled by his murders, and she didn't want to agree with him, but he had a point -- if someone was lynched, then their family deserved to see the perpetrators punished. It just was supposed to be done through the courts, not by some deranged Northerner.

It was almost dawn by the time Mosby and her partner both had asked Butler everything they could think of to ask. They didn't believe Butler's claims that he was a ghost with supernatural powers, but they still thought it was best to collect as much information as possible that night in case he was planning some sort of escape attempt or he felt less cooperative in the morning. When they were done questioning him, they sent Butler to a holding cell and both detectives went home to get a couple of hours sleep. It would take some time and research to find the man Butler was working for, so they decided to leave it till the next day, when they were rested enough to think clearly.

Butler was gone when Mosby returned to the station the next morning. Her partner showed her the empty cell, still locked; and the officer who had been on guard duty overnight frantically insisted that Butler had vanished into thin air. When they reviewed the footage from the security cameras, it didn't show exactly how Butler had escaped. Something had disrupted the video for a fraction of a second, and in that moment he disappeared. Mosby was angry, but not really surprised. After all, Butler had warned them that this would happen. They put out a warrant for his arrest, but Mosby didn't really expect him to be caught, at least not until nightfall.

"I want to talk to Ricky Jackson," Mosby said. "He knows who he lynched."

"What? Okay, but how are we going to get him to tell us?" said her partner.

"Good cop, bad cop," said Mosby. "You're the good cop. And if he doesn't tell us, Butler's probably going to kill him. We need to get him in here right away."

"I don't know if we even need a bad cop," said her partner. "Butler's scarier than you are."

"I know," said Mosby. "We've got to get him off the streets!"

Mosby called Jackson and asked him to come down to the station. She said they knew who was trying to kill him, but they needed to ask him a few more questions to get the whole story straight. Jackson agreed to come in, and he arrived at the station about half an hour later.

Jackson got very defensive when Mosby asked about the lynching. He sprang to his feet and knocked aside the chair where he had been sitting. "I never killed anybody!" he said. "Just because I'm white doesn't mean I'm some kind of racist!"

"Don't play dumb," said Mosby. "I need to know who you lynched so I can find the guy who's trying to kill you!"

"You said you already knew who it was!" Jackson protested.

"The guy who's trying to kill you is a hit man," said Mosby. "He says he was sent by a black guy that's mad because his brother got lynched."

"Well, I don't know what he's talking about," said Jackson.

Mosby talked to Jackson for another couple of minutes, then let her partner have a turn, but neither of them could get him to tell them anything about the lynching. Eventually, Jackson said he didn't want to talk any more without his lawyer, so they decided to let him go and approach the case another way. They put together a list of everywhere Butler's victims had ever lived, along with the dates they had lived at each address. They looked for a time and place where all three victims and Jackson had lived near each other, then looked for unsolved murders in the same area during the same time period. Their research led them to a case from 1979, in which the mutilated remains of an unidentified black man were found hanging from a tree on a pig farm. The owner of the farm was the one who had reported it to the police, and he had claimed in his report that he had no idea who the victim was or how the body wound up on his farm.

"You've got to be kidding me," said Mosby. "What kind of useless shitbag doesn't even ID a victim?"

"Maybe we should try talking to Jackson again," her partner suggested.

"No, he doesn't want to talk," said Mosby.

"Yeah, but he's going to get killed," said her partner.

"Yeah, I'm kind of worried about what's going to happen if we can't figure this out by tonight," said Mosby. She glanced at the clock. It was past 4 in the afternoon. The sun was sinking in the western sky, and light spilled through the windows in slanting golden beams.

"Do we know what they did with the body?" her partner asked.

"I don't know," said Mosby. "Maybe we can track it down, but there's no way we're going to figure this out today. We just don't have time."

Mosby's partner stared pensively at a photo of the corpse in the case file from 1979. "Well, Ricky brought this on himself by refusing to talk to us and he'll just have to live with the consequences," he said. "He deserves it anyway if he really did this. I mean I know it sounds bad, and we've still got a case to solve, but what are we supposed to do?"

Evening came and Mosby and her partner left for the night. Mosby was worried about what would happen that night, but there was nothing she could do about it. She heated up a frozen steak tip dinner in the microwave and ate it in front of the TV. She watched a couple of episodes of "Law & Order" even though they were both reruns. The show wasn't very realistic, but she had always loved mysteries, realistic or not.

When Mosby woke up the next morning, she had a sick feeling in the pit of her stomach, and even before she got out of bed, she had a hunch that it was going to be a bad day. She was greeted at the station by a throng of reporters. She told them she couldn't answer any questions, but that didn't stop them from asking as she pushed past them to get into the station. They all talked at once, talking over each other so that it was hard to make out the individual questions, but Mosby still made out enough of the words to gather that Ricky Jackson had been murdered during the night and rumors were circulating about Butler's escape.

Inside the station, her boss confirmed that Jackson had indeed been murdered. Two policemen had seen the whole thing, but had been unable to stop it. Jackson had called them because a strange glowing mist was coming out of a vent in the ceiling of the room in Bill's basement where he was staying. He led the policemen into the room and pointed out the vent where the mist was coming from, and then his head snapped back and there was a hideous crunch of bone being crushed. Jackson slumped to the floor and blood gurgled from his mouth. He made a few twitching movements, and then he was gone. The policemen saw Butler standing in the doorway of the bathroom, and then he vanished into the mist without a word. The officers who had witnessed the murder were both convinced that Butler was really a ghost, and Mosby had to admit it was getting increasingly difficult to think of other explanations for everything that was happening. She didn't want to deal with a ghost, though. It wasn't her job to hunt ghosts.

Mosby and her partner visited the scene of Jackson's murder and interviewed his friend, Bill, but that didn't give them any useful information. They already knew who was committing the murders, just not how to stop him. Bill said he didn't know anything about the 1979 case and he never thought Jackson was racist enough to be part of a lynch mob. "I mean he sometimes complained about all the black people that are on welfare, but he never said anything about killing them," Bill said. "I wouldn't have let him in my house if I thought he was the kind of person that would kill somebody!"

"Well, it was a long time ago," Mosby said. "Sometimes people change." She wasn't convinced that Jackson had changed much since 1979, but she wasn't tactless enough to badmouth him in front of his friend, especially not after he'd been murdered.

As they were walking back to their car, Mosby thought of something -- Butler had said that he found his victims by the marks on their doors. Did that mean anyone could summon him by simply smearing cow's blood on a door? "Hey, I have an idea...," she said. She explained her idea to her partner, and they explained it to their boss when they got back to the station.

"And where are you going to try this?" their boss asked.

"I could mark my house," said Mosby. "Butler wouldn't kill me because he knows who I am and he's looking for white guys. Maybe we can get him to tell us who he's working for, ask him if he's planning to kill any more people. If he really is a ghost, maybe there's some way to put his soul to rest so he'll stop killing people."

"I guess it doesn't hurt to try," her boss said. "It doesn't seem like we're having much luck with anything else. Just make sure the news doesn't pick up any of this ghost stuff. They'll go nuts with it."

"Right," said Mosby.

That evening, she took her partner home with her. They stopped at a butcher shop to buy cow's blood and a basting brush, and at a Burger King to buy dinner. They waited till after dark to put the cow's blood on Mosby's door so as not to attract unwanted attention from her neighbors. And then they had to wait for Butler to appear. They talked about the case while they waited, and they poked around the internet looking at Civil War sites and historical records from 19th century Ohio to see if they could find any proof of Butler's existence. They didn't find anything, but that was hardly surprising. They didn't even know what town Butler was from.

Mosby glanced up from her reading. "Did you leave the TV on?" she asked.

"No, why?"

"Look." There was a faint light flickering on the wall of the living room, but no sound, like someone had left the TV on with the volume turned all the way down.

"Oh, maybe I did leave the TV on," her partner said, and he started toward the doorway. Mosby knew it wasn't the TV, but she didn't stop him. She got to her feet, grabbed her gun just in case, and followed him into the living room.

Sure enough, Butler was there. He jumped back in surprise when they stepped into the room. "You!" he said. "What are you doing here?"

"I wanted to talk to you," said Mosby.
Butler looked around uncertainly. "This is your house, isn't it?" he said.

"Yes," said Mosby. "I painted the 'X' on the door because I wanted to talk to you. How did you know it was my house?"

Butler picked up a magazine off the coffee table. "The men I am after don't read 'Ebony'."

Mosby smiled. "You're probably right about that. Why don't you have a seat and we can talk?"

Butler put the magazine back on the table and sat down on the couch. Mosby sat on the other end of the couch and her partner pulled up a chair. "You want me to stop killing people, don't you?" Butler said when they had settled themselves.

"Yes," said Mosby. "Is there something we can do to make you stop killing people?" She hadn't expected to be able to approach the subject so directly, but she wasn't going to complain.

Butler sighed. "I think I am going to stop," he said. "If this house belonged to someone I did not know, I might have murdered an innocent man -- to the extent that anyone in the South is innocent, that is. I could never forgive myself if I did such a thing."

Mosby was relieved that Butler had seen a reason to end his killing spree, but she was still concerned that he might change his mind later and attack more people if he could be sure of who they were. Butler was still dangerous, and of course the man who sent him on his killing spree was still on the loose. Mosby decided to see if she could get him to let down his guard so they could ask him again about who he was working for. "You're still mad about the war, aren't you?" she said. "Is that why you came back as a ghost?"

"Of course I'm mad about the war," said Butler. "I'll always be mad about the war. I'll never forgive the people here for what they did to me. I wasn't born a killer, you know. They made me this way."

They talked for a while about Butler's life -- his background, his experiences in the Civil War, how he was captured by the Confederates, and of course how he died. He seemed grateful to have someone to talk to. "There aren't many people who want to listen," he said. "Most people don't believe me when I tell them who I am. It gets lonely sometimes, and of course the people I knew when I was alive are all dead."

After a while, when Mosby thought they had established enough of a rapport, she asked Butler again who he was working for. "I gave him my word that I wouldn't spill the beans on him," said Butler.

"This guy is a murderer," Mosby insisted. "We can't just leave him walking around loose."

"I know you have a job to do, but you'll have to do it yourselves," said Butler. "I'm not going to tell you who sent me."

"But you're not working for him anymore?"
"I'm not going to kill anymore," said Butler, "but he's still my friend. I might still work for him if he needs help with something else. I really don't know. I can deliver a message for you if you have anything you want to say to him, but I really can't turn him in."

"That would be helpful if you could deliver a message for us," said Mosby. "Maybe we could work out some kind of plea deal. And if we can get him to turn himself in and talk to us, then maybe we can do something about those guys who killed his brother!"

Butler shrugged. "It can't hurt to try."

Nazi Flower Power
Postmaster of the Fleet

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Nazi Flower Power » Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:28 pm

Yay, entries! 4 days left for anyone who is still writing.

The New World Oceania
Minister

Founded: May 03, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The New World Oceania » Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:57 pm

PUT THEM IN SPOILERS GOOD GOD DO NOT MAKE ME SCROLL

On an uninhabited island

You thought we wouldn't notice you plagiarizing from Ulysses?

Also, a submission.

Rhythm Method (or Why We Never Were Menstrual)

Granted, was here not overly otherwising francophonesianitz thursdaying, smittly runner in and out and up vainly vainlies put finneganing then outly eating, push turd, kurdnt come and yankied doodling out, given participling month-making chi( )d learn to infinitively give up and in outta overly egging without whitest, a lking a bout a punktu a shunned perioding whole many rounds and like Ezr(re)a(d) blood blood blood blood blood blood blood bloovert operationing with progesteronie pasta'd the tamp-only sinning inequitea partying on at the Jew housing departmently servicing made slight clean give quarterly weeks and then blood blood blood blood blood;
Main complainerism's alcon sitter Ed, the Francophonesianitz was a goodungladie and even the past's doffter us jell was atter curf, few who sawyer tushder, more men talking a drink inner hand sewen Edfu alkder alele brokloos. Courting, Ed'd'said'his courting Franc's Gavin ough'twas an ease, he singed tozadoose aunt shefell, but jed jew di'dn'tw'nt'n'nuffit saidaididd-done itis Tim, sentTimseTim to sexears in the stated present.
Francophonesianitz though was lowreckolita, rotiner die-re-mi that
"My beauty, even, I feel has decayed, and the lunar eclipse to-nite handles the earth in its mysterious embrace; even this evening I feel the need to walk into the wood to clear my thoughts, but this is beyond reprehensible in the eye of the Court, no; for should I walk into the sea then I shall see it is all of my fault upon which rape is brought upon me, no; for should I recall when I was beautiful, I shall have shed too many tears to have not stolen from the righteous people, will have stolen sympathy and thrust it on myself; and this is an evil above all, in Christ's na"
many jewers haden look at for the jewery but the slawyersettled on Sven, who readthe length ofthe dairy andecidedEd was guilty.
Buddall's fare in loafs and whores, she was just ella venat thetimof themur derofer father. Course, Ed'n'tad beensentenced en cuirling but dans le sexual battery and assault charges ad Edith v the State of Louisiana ex rel Francololita nd it was an outomouthic winsince it was an woman plaintiffing but if they'd've tried've imon murder they'd've failed'a prose'a cute because not only was it a male-man they fought for but he wasn't there to re present himself in the try all and that was just the markofa weak man.
Francophonesianitz was explaining she didn't feel a weller than how she'd recently felt to her mother who washed dishes the whole talk through then when Francophonesianitz was done talking turned and said "that's nice nice but you are absolutely not a virgin" and diss missed her. Repert whosedays lader redder buddy found ena pila pills.
More bled than the mouth.
Last edited by The New World Oceania on Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Woman-made-woman.
Formerly Not a Bang but a Whimper.
Mario Cerce, Member of the Red - Green Alliance, Fighting for your Fernão!
Elizia
Joyce Wu, Eternal President of Elizia
Wen Lin, Governor of Jinyu
Ahmed Alef, Member for South Hutnegeri
Dagmar
Elise Marlowe, Member for Varland
Calaverde
Alsafyr Njil, Minister of Justice
Vienna Eliot et. al, Poets
Dick Njil, Journalist
Assad Hazouri, Mayor of Masalbhumi
Baltonia
Clint Webb, Member of the Seima
Ment-Al Li, United Nations Agent
Aurentina
Clint Webb, Senator

Nazi Flower Power
Postmaster of the Fleet

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Nazi Flower Power » Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:33 pm

The New World Oceania wrote:PUT THEM IN SPOILERS GOOD GOD DO NOT MAKE ME SCROLL

I'm not sure why we got so many people posting without spoilers... Every time I think I know what to expect from the people on this forum, some people come along and start doing something different. Some of them are nations I don't recognize, so maybe it's a good thing if it means we're getting new people.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction