NATION

PASSWORD

Are the US police militarizing?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

When did the police start militarizing?

Post-9/11
68%
After the Sandy Hook shooting
6%
Other (Post what it was)
16%
Never
10%

Total votes : 136

Luremurg
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 26, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Luremurg » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:57 pm

Our Governator wrote:
The Land Fomerly Known as Ligerplace wrote:Since your on nationstates, odds are that it doesn't involve explosions but does involve orcs.

NOBODY GETS MY D&D

We need to preserve our freedom and our weapons from these un-american russian chinese/communist imperialist muslims.
Last edited by Luremurg on Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Our Governator
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 27, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Our Governator » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:58 pm

Scomagia wrote:
Nationes Pii Redivivi wrote:
Association Football starts with an "A".

What else starts with an "A"? Azazel. Who is sometimes linked with Satan? Azazel. What animal is Azazel associated with? A GOAT! :twisted:

You know what sounds kind of like Azazel? Azalea. Conclusion: being fancy is satanism
"Small L" libertarian, "big R" Republican.
"I'm not a Conservative... as I understand the English language, a conservative wants to conserve, to make things the same, to keep them as they are. Conservatives want bigger government. The true conservatives today, who call themselves "liberals", these New Dealers, want to keep things the same: they want to keep going on the same path, towards bigger and bigger government. I would like to dismantle that. I call myself a Liberal, in the true sense of Liberal, in the sense that means and pertains to freedom."
- Milton Friedman

The Liberal Conservative Party
The Heart of a Liberal,
The Brain of a Conservative

The Scientific States
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 29, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Scientific States » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:58 pm

It's very apparent that the police have militarized heavily in the last decade of so. It's also apparent that police have tended to use force, even unjustified force, a lot more in the last decade.
Centrist, Ordoliberal, Bisexual, Agnostic, Pro Social Market Economy, Pro Labour Union, Secular Humanist, Cautious Optimist, Pro LGBT, Pro Marijuana Legalization, Pro Humanitarian Intervention etc etc.
Compass
Economic Left/Right: 0.88
Social Liberal/Authoritarian: -6.62
Political Stuff I Wrote
Why Pinochet and Allende were both terrible
The UKIP: A Bad Choice for Britain
Why South Africa is in a sorry state, and how it can be fixed.
Massive List of My OOC Pros and Cons
Hey, Putin! Leave Ukraine Alone!

Jarish Inyo
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Jarish Inyo » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:58 pm

Scomagia wrote:
Jarish Inyo wrote:
I live in an area that is dominated by farming. Maybe you should shut up and think before you continue your bashing of the government and the police.

Simple fact is that nearly all the school shootings, or most shootings, that the media make a big deal of are in small towns like mine. Crime is everywhere. Poverty doesn't play as much into it.

Poverty doesn't play much into crime? Are you joking?

No, I'm not. People use poverty as an excuse for crime. But's it just that, AN EXCUSE. People are not commenting crimes to get the things they need to live.
Ambassador Nameless
Empire of Jaresh Inyo

The Land Fomerly Known as Ligerplace
Powerbroker

Founded: Jul 25, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Land Fomerly Known as Ligerplace » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:59 pm

Our Governator wrote:
Scomagia wrote:What else starts with an "A"? Azazel. Who is sometimes linked with Satan? Azazel. What animal is Azazel associated with? A GOAT! :twisted:

You know what sounds kind of like Azazel? Azalea. Conclusion: being fancy is satanism

TIL: Big Jim apparently has mad swag game.
Founder of the Church of Ass.

No Homo.
TET sex chat link
Neo Art wrote:
The Land Fomerly Known as Ligerplace wrote:Ironic ain't it, now there really IS 47% of the country that feels like victims.

........fuck it, you win the internet.

The New Sea Territory
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 13, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The New Sea Territory » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:59 pm

The Sotoan Union wrote:
Jarish Inyo wrote:
Vandalism is a crime. Private properly gets vandalized all the time. the owner of the properly has to pay to repair the damage. And if the property is public, then it is mine and your tax dollars repairing the damage.

A victimless crime in most senses of the term.

But I believe that just because a crime doesn't involve a victim doesn't mean that it shouldn't be a crime.

Barring the thousands who pay taxes, sure.

Name any victimless crime, then, and tell me why it must be illegal or we have Anarchy in the UK.
| Ⓐ | Anarchist Communist | Heideggerian Marxist | Vegetarian | Bisexual | Stirnerite | Slavic/Germanic Pagan | ᛟ |
Solntsa Roshcha --- Postmodern Poyltheist
"Christianity had brutally planted the poisoned blade in the healthy, quivering flesh of all humanity; it had goaded a cold wave
of darkness with mystically brutal fury to dim the serene and festive exultation of the dionysian spirit of our pagan ancestors."
-Renzo Novatore, Verso il Nulla Creatore

Trygg
Envoy

Founded: Jul 10, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Trygg » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:59 pm

Scomagia wrote:
Trygg wrote:My neighbor has a goat. She eats my strawberries. Sinister indeed :p

Your strawberries are only the beginning.

If I wake up and find my rhododendron missing, I surrender.
Fecal-Meteorologist of the general forum

Make Oreos our currency now!
-------
Hetland 2 wrote:
As of now, Christopher has the sex appeal of road kill.
-------
Hakio wrote:
Fuck the dictionary.

The Sotoan Union
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 03, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Sotoan Union » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:59 pm

The New Sea Territory wrote:
The Sotoan Union wrote:A victimless crime in most senses of the term.

But I believe that just because a crime doesn't involve a victim doesn't mean that it shouldn't be a crime.

Name any victimless crime, then, and tell me why it must be illegal or we have Anarchy in the UK.

Since you can just stretch the definition of victimless crime however you want I don't think anybody can.
Last edited by The Sotoan Union on Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Luremurg
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 26, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Luremurg » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:00 pm

Did you know Obama is a communist that was raised in China?
Preserve your freedoms people.
Praise Alex Jones.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Scomagia
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Scomagia » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:00 pm

Jarish Inyo wrote:
Scomagia wrote:Poverty doesn't play much into crime? Are you joking?

No, I'm not. People use poverty as an excuse for crime. But's it just that, AN EXCUSE. People are not commenting crimes to get the things they need to live.

Or people who commit most crimes are in desperate situations and have received poor education and can't see a way out through legitimate means.
Insert trite farewell here

The Scientific States
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 29, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Scientific States » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:01 pm

Luremurg wrote:Did you know Obama is a communist that was raised in China?
Praise Alex Jones.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Stop the attempt at satire. It's downright spam, and doesn't contribute to the thread.
Centrist, Ordoliberal, Bisexual, Agnostic, Pro Social Market Economy, Pro Labour Union, Secular Humanist, Cautious Optimist, Pro LGBT, Pro Marijuana Legalization, Pro Humanitarian Intervention etc etc.
Compass
Economic Left/Right: 0.88
Social Liberal/Authoritarian: -6.62
Political Stuff I Wrote
Why Pinochet and Allende were both terrible
The UKIP: A Bad Choice for Britain
Why South Africa is in a sorry state, and how it can be fixed.
Massive List of My OOC Pros and Cons
Hey, Putin! Leave Ukraine Alone!

Sacraligic
Political Columnist

Founded: Aug 17, 2014
Ex-Nation

Endorsement

Postby Sacraligic » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:01 pm

Can someone please endorse me! i will endorse them too. You can endorse by clicking the nation name, and clicking endorse on the bottom left, under write telegram
Thank you
Grand Chancellor of the Holy Sacraligic Empire

Jarish Inyo
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Jarish Inyo » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:01 pm

Scomagia wrote:
Jarish Inyo wrote: Can you honestly state that you have never broken any law? Never stole anything? Never broke the speed limit? Can anyone here say they haven't?

Prove that the average citizen in a criminal. Prove it or stop talking shit.

Hit too close to home, did I? Everyone has taken something that doesn't belong to them while they are an adult. Every driver has broken the speed limit.
Ambassador Nameless
Empire of Jaresh Inyo

Trygg
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Trygg » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:01 pm

Jarish Inyo wrote:
Scomagia wrote:Poverty doesn't play much into crime? Are you joking?

Some do, actually. Say a homeless man drinks from a city park fountain. Couldn't that be considered illegal?

-------
Hetland 2 wrote:
-------
Hakio wrote:
Fuck the dictionary.

Scomagia
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Scomagia » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:02 pm

Jarish Inyo wrote:
Scomagia wrote:Prove that the average citizen in a criminal. Prove it or stop talking shit.

Hit too close to home, did I? Everyone has taken something that doesn't belong to them while they are an adult. Every driver has broken the speed limit.

Prove it.
Insert trite farewell here

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:02 pm

The Scientific States wrote:
Luremurg wrote:Did you know Obama is a communist that was raised in China?
Praise Alex Jones.

Stop the attempt at satire. It's downright spam, and doesn't contribute to the thread.

And in fact Luremurg gets a *** Warning for trolling and spamming *** for that and prior posts.

Knock it off. Now.

The Sotoan Union
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Sotoan Union » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:03 pm

Trygg wrote:
Jarish Inyo wrote:

Some do, actually. Say a homeless man drinks from a city park fountain. Couldn't that be considered illegal?

It's victimless so it should be completely legal obviously!

Except taxpayers pay for that so it does have a victim.

Whichever makes less sense.

Our Governator
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Our Governator » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:03 pm

Scomagia wrote:
Jarish Inyo wrote:

Prove it.

They hate it when you do that
"I'm not a Conservative... as I understand the English language, a conservative wants to conserve, to make things the same, to keep them as they are. Conservatives want bigger government. The true conservatives today, who call themselves "liberals", these New Dealers, want to keep things the same: they want to keep going on the same path, towards bigger and bigger government. I would like to dismantle that. I call myself a Liberal, in the true sense of Liberal, in the sense that means and pertains to freedom."
- Milton Friedman

The Heart of a Liberal,

Trygg
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Trygg » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:03 pm

Jarish Inyo wrote:
Scomagia wrote:Prove that the average citizen in a criminal. Prove it or stop talking shit.

I highly doubt EVERY driver has broken the speed limit.

-------
Hetland 2 wrote:
-------
Hakio wrote:
Fuck the dictionary.

The New Sea Territory
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The New Sea Territory » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:05 pm

The Sotoan Union wrote:

Since you can just stretch the definition of victimless crime however you want I don't think anybody can.

Well, no, it's not stretching them. I go off the idea that an individual should have inalienable rights (not natural...) to life, liberty and property. We can disagree on what the rights should be, but if I am not causing damage to anyone else or their possessions then what the fuck am I doing wrong?
| Ⓐ | Anarchist Communist | Heideggerian Marxist | Vegetarian | Bisexual | Stirnerite | Slavic/Germanic Pagan | ᛟ |
"Christianity had brutally planted the poisoned blade in the healthy, quivering flesh of all humanity; it had goaded a cold wave
of darkness with mystically brutal fury to dim the serene and festive exultation of the dionysian spirit of our pagan ancestors."

Our Governator
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Our Governator » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:06 pm

The Sotoan Union wrote:Since you can just stretch the definition of victimless crime however you want I don't think anybody can.

Well, no, it's not stretching them. I go off the idea that an individual should have inalienable rights (not natural...) to life, liberty and property. We can disagree on what the rights should be, but if I am not causing damage to anyone else or their possessions then what the fuck am I doing wrong?

Can you give some examples of crimes without victims?
- Milton Friedman

The Heart of a Liberal,

The New Sea Territory
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The New Sea Territory » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:06 pm

The Sotoan Union wrote:
Trygg wrote:Some do, actually. Say a homeless man drinks from a city park fountain. Couldn't that be considered illegal?

It's considered public property. If the public allows the man access to the water, sure.

This is why public property is sloppy. We should have private and collective property, but the only real public property is air.

The Sotoan Union
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Sotoan Union » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:07 pm

The Sotoan Union wrote:Since you can just stretch the definition of victimless crime however you want I don't think anybody can.

It can be pretty subjective as to what rights you are violating or not.

Like peeing in public. There's no direct victim, or is there? Are people victimized if they are offended? Is the person who pays for it a victim?

Wouldn't it be easier to just ban it?

Trygg
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Trygg » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:07 pm

The Sotoan Union wrote:
Trygg wrote:Some do, actually. Say a homeless man drinks from a city park fountain. Couldn't that be considered illegal?

Exactly.

-------
Hetland 2 wrote:
-------
Hakio wrote:
Fuck the dictionary.

The Land Fomerly Known as Ligerplace
Powerbroker

Founded: Jul 25, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Land Fomerly Known as Ligerplace » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:09 pm

Our Governator wrote:

Can you give some examples of crimes without victims?

Smoking a joint in your basement.
Founder of the Church of Ass.

No Homo.
TET sex chat link
Neo Art wrote:
The Land Fomerly Known as Ligerplace wrote:Ironic ain't it, now there really IS 47% of the country that feels like victims.

........fuck it, you win the internet.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General