NATION

PASSWORD

Why only two sets?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Etha
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jan 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Why only two sets?

Postby Etha » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:42 pm

So I was wondering (As I often do, and just now decided to converse about it), why do Humans just get the two pairs of teeth? Wouldn't it be a biological advantage for survival to have? And as such, evolution would have supplied us with more pairs?
What say you, NS? ( :lol: That was the first time I've ever said that!).

Pope Joan
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Pope Joan » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:47 pm

I know someone who has grown multiple rows of teeth, like a shark.

It is cumbersome and uncomfortable.
"Life is difficult".

-M. Scott Peck

Salandriagado
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 03, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Salandriagado » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:51 pm

Growing more body parts is energy-expensive. Unless there's a particular evolutionary drive to do so, it tends to not happen.
Cosara wrote:
Anachronous Rex wrote:Good thing most a majority of people aren't so small-minded, and frightened of other's sexuality.

Over 40% (including me), are, so I fixed the post for accuracy.

Vilatania wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:
Notice that the link is to the notes from a university course on probability. You clearly have nothing beyond the most absurdly simplistic understanding of the subject.
By choosing 1, you no longer have 0 probability of choosing 1. End of subject.

(read up the quote stack)

Deal. £3000 do?[/quote]

Of course.[/quote]

Alyekra
Minister

Founded: May 03, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Alyekra » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:01 pm

I know some people who get really old sometimes get a third set.

EDIT: Or maybe not.
Last edited by Alyekra on Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(FOR LEGAL REASONS, THAT'S A JOKE)

65 dkp

Avenio
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Avenio » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:05 pm

Because the jaw and the skull both evolved from highly-modified tissue associated with the vertebrae. Bilateral symmetry applies.
Last edited by Avenio on Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lunatic Goofballs
Retired Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Lunatic Goofballs » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:06 pm

Teeth shmeeth. I want some spare cartilage in my hip and back. :(
Life's Short. Munch Tacos.

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
Hunter S. Thompson

Shaluach
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Feb 03, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Shaluach » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:11 pm

Lunatic Goofballs wrote:Teeth shmeeth. I want some spare cartilage in my hip and back. :(

Sounds rather painful.
I've had a massive overhaul of my views. Please excuse anything I've posted before December of 2014.

Etha
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Etha » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:23 pm

Salandriagado wrote:Growing more body parts is energy-expensive. Unless there's a particular evolutionary drive to do so, it tends to not happen.

But, Humans have been in an environment where receiving said energy is quite a feasible task.
Also, because its uncomfortable shouldn't have anything to do with it, right? Survival's survival.

Sun Wukong
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 16, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Sun Wukong » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:24 pm

I tried to revisit the issue at the last several conclaves of divine and semi-divine entities, but the Tooth Fairy Union is a powerful lobby.
Great Sage, Equal of Heaven.

Shaluach
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Feb 03, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Shaluach » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:25 pm

Etha wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:Growing more body parts is energy-expensive. Unless there's a particular evolutionary drive to do so, it tends to not happen.

But, Humans have been in an environment where receiving said energy is quite a feasible task.
Also, because its uncomfortable shouldn't have anything to do with it, right? Survival's survival.

The problem here is that we can actually survive without more than a second set of teeth.
I've had a massive overhaul of my views. Please excuse anything I've posted before December of 2014.

Etha
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Etha » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:26 pm

Sun Wukong wrote:I tried to revisit the issue at the last several conclaves of divine and semi-divine entities, but the Tooth Fairy Union is a powerful lobby.

...?
Suck it Shaluach! You can't do Squat on here! MWAHAHAHA!!!

Etha
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Etha » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:28 pm

Shaluach wrote:
Etha wrote:But, Humans have been in an environment where receiving said energy is quite a feasible task.

The problem here is that we can actually survive without more than a second set of teeth.

But Birds could have Survived without losing their teeth, yet they did as so to be more fit to their niche. So shouldn't Humans do so as well? (Except the task is quite the opposite here. :p ).

Goeiehoopland
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Goeiehoopland » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:40 pm

Etha wrote:But Birds could have Survived without losing their teeth, yet they did as so to be more fit to their niche. So shouldn't Humans do so as well? (Except the task is quite the opposite here. :p ).

In what universe does an additional set of teeth help humans better adapt to its niche?
Followup question: is it the same universe where meat is cooked, greens are smoked, and food is artificially processed?
A waste is a terrible thing to mind.

AiliailiA
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jul 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby AiliailiA » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:41 pm

Etha wrote:So I was wondering (As I often do, and just now decided to converse about it), why do Humans just get the two pairs of teeth? Wouldn't it be a biological advantage for survival to have? And as such, evolution would have supplied us with more pairs?

Evolutionarily, chewing things like grain came along too late to change something so basic. That's my guess, but there is considerable doubt about what the "neolithic" diet actually was.

I really wish it was possible to grow more teeth. My last set are pretty bad. Hopefully science can come up with something better than dentures before that's my only option.
My name is voiced AIL-EE-AIL-EE-AH. My time zone: UTC.

Cannot think of a name wrote:"Where's my immortality?" will be the new "Where's my jetpack?"
Maineiacs wrote:"We're going to build a canal, and we're going to make Columbia pay for it!" -- Teddy Roosevelt
Ifreann wrote:That's not a Freudian slip. A Freudian slip is when you say one thing and mean your mother.
Ethel mermania wrote:
Ifreann wrote:
DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:
: eugenics :
What are the colons meant to convey here?
In my experience Colons usually convey shit

NSG junkie. Getting good shit for free, why would I give it up?

Etha
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Etha » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:42 pm

Goeiehoopland wrote:
Etha wrote:But Birds could have Survived without losing their teeth, yet they did as so to be more fit to their niche. So shouldn't Humans do so as well? (Except the task is quite the opposite here. :p ).

In what universe does an additional set of teeth help humans better adapt to its niche?
Followup question: is it the same universe where meat is cooked, greens are smoked, and food is artificially processed?

The Universe where losing your teeth in a freak accident could cause death. This probably wouldn't lead to death in a first world country, but...
Yes, yes it is.

AiliailiA
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby AiliailiA » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:44 pm

Sun Wukong wrote:I tried to revisit the issue at the last several conclaves of divine and semi-divine entities, but the Tooth Fairy Union is a powerful lobby.

:lol:
Very bad for their industry if just anyone could grow teeth.

Cannot think of a name wrote:"Where's my immortality?" will be the new "Where's my jetpack?"
Maineiacs wrote:"We're going to build a canal, and we're going to make Columbia pay for it!" -- Teddy Roosevelt
Ifreann wrote:That's not a Freudian slip. A Freudian slip is when you say one thing and mean your mother.
Ethel mermania wrote:
Ifreann wrote:
DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:

Sun Wukong
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Sun Wukong » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:44 pm

Etha wrote:
Goeiehoopland wrote:In what universe does an additional set of teeth help humans better adapt to its niche?

The Universe where losing your teeth in a freak accident could cause death. This probably wouldn't lead to death in a first world country, but...
Yes, yes it is.

Those same people who lack basic medical care would be as likely to die as a result of impacted teeth growing in improperly.

Etha
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Etha » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:45 pm

Ailiailia wrote:
Etha wrote:So I was wondering (As I often do, and just now decided to converse about it), why do Humans just get the two pairs of teeth? Wouldn't it be a biological advantage for survival to have? And as such, evolution would have supplied us with more pairs?

Evolutionarily, chewing things like grain came along too late to change something so basic. That's my guess, but there is considerable doubt about what the "neolithic" diet actually was.

I really wish it was possible to grow more teeth. My last set are pretty bad. Hopefully science can come up with something better than dentures before that's my only option.

Well, in places where this possibly could occur, it's probably prevented due to the Whole world's gene pool being mixed together due to Global travel and the such. But if you could put Boundary Bubbles around certain areas around the world, it might start to occur.

Big Jim P
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Big Jim P » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:47 pm

Lunatic Goofballs wrote:Teeth shmeeth. I want some spare cartilage in my hip and back. :(

Brother, I hear you.
Hail Satan!
Happily married to Roan Cara, The first RL NS marriage, and Pope Joan is my Father-in-law.
I edit my posts to fix typos.

Etha
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Etha » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:53 pm

Sun Wukong wrote:
Etha wrote:The Universe where losing your teeth in a freak accident could cause death. This probably wouldn't lead to death in a first world country, but...
Yes, yes it is.

Those same people who lack basic medical care would be as likely to die as a result of impacted teeth growing in improperly.

Well, those deaths would not account for a large percentage of the pop., and as such would be mostly irrelevant.

Sun Wukong
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Sun Wukong » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:54 pm

Etha wrote:
Sun Wukong wrote:Those same people who lack basic medical care would be as likely to die as a result of impacted teeth growing in improperly.

Well, those deaths would not account for a large percentage of the pop., and as such would be mostly irrelevant.

The same is true for people who die on account of loosing all their teeth.

Sun Wukong
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Sun Wukong » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:56 pm

Big Jim P wrote:

Brother, I hear you.

I tried to revisit the issue at the last several conclaves of divine and semi-divine entities, but the Tooth Fairy Chiropractor Union is a powerful lobby.

AiliailiA
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby AiliailiA » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:58 pm

Etha wrote:
Ailiailia wrote:

Well, in places where this possibly could occur, it's probably prevented due to the Whole world's gene pool being mixed together due to Global travel and the such. But if you could put Boundary Bubbles around certain areas around the world, it might start to occur.

Considering wisdom teeth, evolution seems to have taken us towards fewer teeth rather than more.

Sun Wukong wrote:
Etha wrote:The Universe where losing your teeth in a freak accident could cause death. This probably wouldn't lead to death in a first world country, but...
Yes, yes it is.

Good point. A mutation which provides a third set of teeth is more likely to kill (before breeding age even) than to provide any individual benefit.

We're looking for family or tribe benefit in older people still being able to chew, and that necessarily takes a lot longer to evolve than an individual advantage.

Ethel mermania wrote:
Ifreann wrote:
DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:

Etha
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Etha » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:02 pm

Big Jim P wrote:

Brother, I hear you.

Big Jim P
Post Czar

Compulsory Consumerist State
? That's...An odd Founding date...

Lunatic Goofballs
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Lunatic Goofballs » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:05 pm

Etha wrote:
Big Jim P wrote:
Brother, I hear you.

Big Jim P
Post Czar

Compulsory Consumerist State
? That's...An odd Founding date...

He's been around longer than SARS. :p
Life's Short. Munch Tacos.

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
Hunter S. Thompson

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General