NATION

PASSWORD

Super Hero High: Prometheus Rising (OOC, Open)

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Mighty Asgard
Minister

Founded: Jan 09, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Mighty Asgard » Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:18 pm

Altruistic Paladins wrote:I guess a better way to describe the power is that it is a superpower that is about temporarily giving small, situational powers, such as the ability to fire a gun sideways without any decrease in ability, to people.

Would that be acceptable if the power was just about everyone within a situation getting situational powers (such as the ability to fall fifty feet and suffer no injury) and just leave out the aspects of the power that manipulate the environment?

Empowering others would be acceptable.

Terintania wrote:
Name: Narain Conway
Nationality: American
Height: 6 feet
Weight: Slightly underweight
Hair: Black
Eyes: Glowing green
Abilities:
Flight: Due to being born with wings, Narain can fly.
Armor: Narain can create a layer of armor around him. This armor is strong, but not impenetrable. (see 'costume' for armor appearance)
Action Copying: Narain can replicate an action or movement after seeing it just once. Such as, if he watches a kung-foo scene on a movie, he'll be able to replicate those moves. Downside of this power is that he can only remember something for one day. The next morning his knowledge of how to do whatever he had learned will be gone.
Dorm: Hero
Brief Bio: Narain was born with wings and glowing green eyes. His parents helped him hide this, supporting him rather then hating him for being mutated or something. At first he didn't understand why he had to hide, the ability to fly being normal to him, but as he got older, he began to understand, and kept his differences hidden. He was homeschooled, but when he did leave the house, he would wear a sort of strap halter to keep his wings in place, and wore contacts to hide his eyes. Life continued on that way until he was 14. He didn't mind having to hide, as it was just kind of part of who he was, but one day everything changed in an instant. It happened in the middle of the night, and he was using his powers to memorize some badass sword fighting moves, just to be badass for a few hours before going to sleep. Suddenly he heard a scream from his parent's room, and ran in to see his mom collapsing to the floor beside his dad, who was already dead. From the shadows on the other side of the room, he saw chilling, ice-blue eyes watching him, blood-soaked sword in hand. Narain raised his own sword, which he had been using to practice the moves he had memorized, just as the person attacked him. The fight lasted a while, Narain using his wings and newly learned sword fighting skills, and the killer using his masterful and long-practiced skills. Eventually, though, Narain's knowledge began to slip, and his fighting became sloppier as he began to forget some of the moves. He was quickly overpowered, the killer's blade slicing across his throat. He collapsed next to his parents, choking and gasping with his hand on his throat. The only thing that stopped the killer from finishing him off was the fact that the police arrived just then. A neighbor had heard his mom's scream and called the police. The last thing Narain remembers is hearing the police outside the door and seeing the killer jump out the window before he lost consciousness.
Some time later, he awoke in the hospital. His grandparents were there, and they were so relieved when he woke up, telling him he was very lucky to be alive. A while later, he went to live with his grandparents, who were fairly rich and had manged to convince the hospital not to mention anything about his wings and eyes to anyone. Due to the damage done to his throat, Narain was now unable to talk. He and his grand parents learned sign language, and life went on. Eventually Narain discovered that the man who had killed his parents was a man by the name of Leroy Talisman, and decided that he was going to try to find him and make him pay. A few years later, he decided to go to the Academy for the Empowered to improve his powers and his chances of actually being able to face Leroy when he finds him. Little did he know that there was a nasty surprise waiting for him at the school....

Accepted.

Glovania wrote:
[spoiler]WOW! Someone just made a winged dude just as I tried to post this. Ah well, here is my student app:

Name: Alexander Nylund
Nationality: Swedish
Height: 5' 11"
Weight: 9 st
Abilities: Wing Manifestation - the ability to have wings burst forth from or detach from his back.
Aerial Adaptation - The ability to survive in high altitudes with no impact on his body (lack of oxygen, low pressure, etc.)
Brief Bio: Alex is a quiet teen, who tends to keep to himself when in class, and spends most of his free time on the internet, or lying on his bed, listening to music. He grew up in Toronto, Canada, with Swedish parents who moved there before he was born. He lived most of his childhood as a regular kid, living in Toronto, until one day he simply woke up, and upon scratching his back, he realised that two wings, almost as large as him were protruding from his back. Upon realising this, he leapt from his bed, and leaned against the door, only to see the wings lying there on the bed, detached from his back. He, like any 9 year-old boy would, ran into his parents room to get them to see. But, upon returning to the room with his confused parents, the wings emitted a bright light, causing the three to cover there eyes, and when they looked back, the wings were gone. His parents, confused by all of this, kept his powers a secret to the neighborhood for as long as they could, but Alex's cover was eventually blown when he tried to leap out of his bedroom window and fly down the street. He made it some distance, before crashing through the roof of his neighour's house, some three doors down. His parents were forced to send him to the Super-Hero High when he turned 11, and he has lived there ever since, keeping in contact with his family via Skype, and other forms of communication. Although he can stand high altitude conditions, he still requires some oxygen to breathe, and is as vulnerable to radiation as any other human, so he regrets that cannot fly out of the station to visit his parents in person.
[/spoiler]

Accepted.

Terintania
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Terintania » Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:21 pm

Mighty Asgard wrote:
Terintania wrote:
Abilities:
Armor: Narain can create a layer of armor around him. This armor is strong, but not impenetrable. (see 'costume' for armor appearance)
Action Copying: Narain can replicate an action or movement after seeing it just once. Such as, if he watches a kung-foo scene on a movie, he'll be able to replicate those moves. Downside of this power is that he can only remember something for one day. The next morning his knowledge of how to do whatever he had learned will be gone.
Brief Bio: Narain was born with wings and glowing green eyes. His parents helped him hide this, supporting him rather then hating him for being mutated or something. At first he didn't understand why he had to hide, the ability to fly being normal to him, but as he got older, he began to understand, and kept his differences hidden. He was homeschooled, but when he did leave the house, he would wear a sort of strap halter to keep his wings in place, and wore contacts to hide his eyes. Life continued on that way until he was 14. He didn't mind having to hide, as it was just kind of part of who he was, but one day everything changed in an instant. It happened in the middle of the night, and he was using his powers to memorize some badass sword fighting moves, just to be badass for a few hours before going to sleep. Suddenly he heard a scream from his parent's room, and ran in to see his mom collapsing to the floor beside his dad, who was already dead. From the shadows on the other side of the room, he saw chilling, ice-blue eyes watching him, blood-soaked sword in hand. Narain raised his own sword, which he had been using to practice the moves he had memorized, just as the person attacked him. The fight lasted a while, Narain using his wings and newly learned sword fighting skills, and the killer using his masterful and long-practiced skills. Eventually, though, Narain's knowledge began to slip, and his fighting became sloppier as he began to forget some of the moves. He was quickly overpowered, the killer's blade slicing across his throat. He collapsed next to his parents, choking and gasping with his hand on his throat. The only thing that stopped the killer from finishing him off was the fact that the police arrived just then. A neighbor had heard his mom's scream and called the police. The last thing Narain remembers is hearing the police outside the door and seeing the killer jump out the window before he lost consciousness.
Some time later, he awoke in the hospital. His grandparents were there, and they were so relieved when he woke up, telling him he was very lucky to be alive. A while later, he went to live with his grandparents, who were fairly rich and had manged to convince the hospital not to mention anything about his wings and eyes to anyone. Due to the damage done to his throat, Narain was now unable to talk. He and his grand parents learned sign language, and life went on. Eventually Narain discovered that the man who had killed his parents was a man by the name of Leroy Talisman, and decided that he was going to try to find him and make him pay. A few years later, he decided to go to the Academy for the Empowered to improve his powers and his chances of actually being able to face Leroy when he finds him. Little did he know that there was a nasty surprise waiting for him at the school....

Accepted.

Alright. I'll have him show up sometime after Leroy's class starts, so he won't just immediately run across Leroy by going to his class as the first class he does after getting to the school
Times are looking grim these days~

Glovania
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 27, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Glovania » Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:24 pm

Terintania wrote:
Glovania wrote:-snip-

Nice coincidence. My new character that I just posted also has wings and is in the Hero dorm.

Maybe they could be roommates, if both accepted :P

I also think that maybe vacuum would be a bigger problem to flying out of the station then radiation would be :P

Well, either way, much like everyone else he cannot leave the station, so meh.

But the roommates idea sounds cool. BTW, does your guys have black wings?
Mine are boring old white.
Last edited by Bernard Montgomery, 24 March 1976, eight times in total.

West Aurelia wrote:Three times more Americans have married Kim Kardashian than have died from Ebola. I'm not worried.

Terintania
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Terintania » Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:26 pm

Glovania wrote:
Terintania wrote:
Nice coincidence. My new character that I just posted also has wings and is in the Hero dorm.

Maybe they could be roommates, if both accepted :P

I also think that maybe vacuum would be a bigger problem to flying out of the station then radiation would be :P

Well, either way, much like everyone else he cannot leave the station, so meh.

Yeah, his wings are like in the picture. And they can be roommates, then. I guess your guy either hasn't had a roommate, or lost his old one and is going to get a new one, since my guy will be just arriving, and your guy's been there a while,

I hope he doesn't mind having a mute as his roommate

Glovania
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Glovania » Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:31 pm

Mighty Asgard wrote:
Altruistic Paladins wrote:I guess a better way to describe the power is that it is a superpower that is about temporarily giving small, situational powers, such as the ability to fire a gun sideways without any decrease in ability, to people.

Would that be acceptable if the power was just about everyone within a situation getting situational powers (such as the ability to fall fifty feet and suffer no injury) and just leave out the aspects of the power that manipulate the environment?

Empowering others would be acceptable.

Terintania wrote:
Abilities:

Accepted.

Glovania wrote:
[spoiler]WOW! Someone just made a winged dude just as I tried to post this. Ah well, here is my student app:

Name: Alexander Nylund
Nationality: Swedish
Height: 5' 11"
Weight: 9 st
Abilities: Wing Manifestation - the ability to have wings burst forth from or detach from his back.
Aerial Adaptation - The ability to survive in high altitudes with no impact on his body (lack of oxygen, low pressure, etc.)
Brief Bio: Alex is a quiet teen, who tends to keep to himself when in class, and spends most of his free time on the internet, or lying on his bed, listening to music. He grew up in Toronto, Canada, with Swedish parents who moved there before he was born. He lived most of his childhood as a regular kid, living in Toronto, until one day he simply woke up, and upon scratching his back, he realised that two wings, almost as large as him were protruding from his back. Upon realising this, he leapt from his bed, and leaned against the door, only to see the wings lying there on the bed, detached from his back. He, like any 9 year-old boy would, ran into his parents room to get them to see. But, upon returning to the room with his confused parents, the wings emitted a bright light, causing the three to cover there eyes, and when they looked back, the wings were gone. His parents, confused by all of this, kept his powers a secret to the neighborhood for as long as they could, but Alex's cover was eventually blown when he tried to leap out of his bedroom window and fly down the street. He made it some distance, before crashing through the roof of his neighour's house, some three doors down. His parents were forced to send him to the Super-Hero High when he turned 11, and he has lived there ever since, keeping in contact with his family via Skype, and other forms of communication. Although he can stand high altitude conditions, he still requires some oxygen to breathe, and is as vulnerable to radiation as any other human, so he regrets that cannot fly out of the station to visit his parents in person.
[/spoiler]

Accepted.

SWEET! So, the school term has already started huh? If me and Ter are gonna be roommates, could one of us be a new arrival? If so, could it be me, as I would kinda like that. If so, my app can be assumed changed to fit that.

West Aurelia wrote:Three times more Americans have married Kim Kardashian than have died from Ebola. I'm not worried.

Glovania
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Glovania » Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:32 pm

Terintania wrote:
Glovania wrote:Well, either way, much like everyone else he cannot leave the station, so meh.

Yeah, his wings are like in the picture. And they can be roommates, then. I guess your guy either hasn't had a roommate, or lost his old one and is going to get a new one, since my guy will be just arriving, and your guy's been there a while,

So we can both be new arrivals then.

So your guy doesn't talk, or communicate, at all?

Terintania
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Terintania » Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:33 pm

Glovania wrote:
Terintania wrote:Yeah, his wings are like in the picture. And they can be roommates, then. I guess your guy either hasn't had a roommate, or lost his old one and is going to get a new one, since my guy will be just arriving, and your guy's been there a while,

I thought you said your guy had gone to the school when he was 11?

He uses sign language or writes, but he can't talk due to his throat being damaged.

Mighty Asgard
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Mighty Asgard » Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:34 pm

Glovania wrote:SWEET! So, the school term has already started huh? If me and Ter are gonna be roommates, could one of us be a new arrival? If so, could it be me, as I would kinda like that. If so, my app can be assumed changed to fit that.

Both characters can be new arrivals, that is up to the two of you to decide.

Glovania
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Glovania » Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:36 pm

Terintania wrote:
Glovania wrote:

I thought you said your guy had gone to the school when he was 11?

He uses sign language or writes, but he can't talk due to his throat being damaged.

I did say that, BUT I changed my mind. Being a new arrival would be cooler in my mind for some reason.

I see. So he can't use sign language with me, cos my char does not know any of it, maybe hand gestures, mouthing or simply writing.

Glovania
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Glovania » Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:38 pm

Mighty Asgard wrote:
Glovania wrote:SWEET! So, the school term has already started huh? If me and Ter are gonna be roommates, could one of us be a new arrival? If so, could it be me, as I would kinda like that. If so, my app can be assumed changed to fit that.

Both characters can be new arrivals, that is up to the two of you to decide.

Cool. I see that from recent events we both are. I shall post tomorrow after school.

OH GOD, SCHOOL! SPARE ME, LORD!

Terintania
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Terintania » Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:38 pm

Glovania wrote:
Terintania wrote:I thought you said your guy had gone to the school when he was 11?

I did say that, BUT I changed my mind. Being a new arrival would be cooler in my mind for some reason.

I see. So he can't use sign language with me, cos my char does not know any of it, maybe hand gestures, mouthing or simply writing.

I've always found that being a new arrival seems easier then trying to integrate yourself as though you had been there for a while.

Yeah, I figured most people wouldn't really know sign language there, due to not having a reason to, so with most people he'll just stick to hand gestures or writing.

Zarkenis Ultima
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 22, 2011
Democratic Socialists

Postby Zarkenis Ultima » Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:40 pm

Narain and Jay would have immensely interesting conversations, undoubtedly. :P
Hello! I'm your friendly neighborhood roleplayer cat. If you need any help, send me a TG and I'll see what I can do!
P2TM Community Discussion Thread

Terintania
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Terintania » Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:46 pm

Zarkenis Ultima wrote:Narain and Jay would have immensely interesting conversations, undoubtedly. :P

Uhhh, yeeeahhh.

Narain would be like, signing or writing and Jay would just be staring at him like 'wut?' :P

Zarkenis Ultima
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 22, 2011
Democratic Socialists

Postby Zarkenis Ultima » Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:46 pm

Terintania wrote:
Zarkenis Ultima wrote:Narain and Jay would have immensely interesting conversations, undoubtedly. :P

Uhhh, yeeeahhh.

Narain would be like, signing or writing and Jay would just be staring at him like 'wut?' :P

That's the point. :P
Hello! I'm your friendly neighborhood roleplayer cat. If you need any help, send me a TG and I'll see what I can do!
P2TM Community Discussion Thread

Terintania
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Terintania » Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:50 pm

Zarkenis Ultima wrote:
Terintania wrote:Uhhh, yeeeahhh.

That's the point. :P

I know :P

Corrian
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 19, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Corrian » Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:05 pm

Would it be fine to say that Kira knows sign language? I know it can kind of be uncool to be like "This character knows German!" all of a sudden when it was never mentioned in the app because it is suddenly efficient to the plot. But I don't see sign language as being as big of a deal and I wanted to ask about it since I didn't ever mention she knew anything beyond Russian and English.
My Last.FM and RYM

Look on the bright side, one day you'll be dead~Street Sects

Altruistic Paladins
Senator

Founded: Feb 23, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Altruistic Paladins » Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:23 pm

Corrian wrote:Would it be fine to say that Kira knows sign language? I know it can kind of be uncool to be like "This character knows German!" all of a sudden when it was never mentioned in the app because it is suddenly efficient to the plot. But I don't see sign language as being as big of a deal and I wanted to ask about it since I didn't ever mention she knew anything beyond Russian and English.

I think that it will probably be problematic already I can say that it would be problematic due to one aspect of your post.

You did not specify which one.

There are many tens of sign languages, such as German Sign Language, American Sign Language (which, unlike spoken English, is a member of the general family of French sign-languages that also holds many other national sign-languages), Chinese Sign Language, and many others.

If you are not even aware that there is more than one sign language, I think it would be best just to ignore it. Hell, she can already speak English and butchered Russian. Why would she need to know how to use one of the three different commonly used sign-languages in America that Narain uses.

BTW Terintania, which sign-language does Narain use?

Hell, it is so community-based that, even if both people are using the exact same sign language, the communities are so close that terms related to technology or culture or cursing can be very different depending upon the specific deaf community.

To give an example of this, there was a time where a kid who moved across the country freaked out saying that everyone was cursing like mad. The reason why was that this deaf community's version of "Spongebob Squarepants" was his old deaf community's version of "son of a bitch".

Sign languages are quite the thorny issue in writing for that reason.
Last edited by Altruistic Paladins on Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:56 pm, edited 9 times in total.
By Hits Holy Hand,
The Imperial Majesty Emperor Norton II of the People of the DSA and Protector of Ukraine
Inaugurated 12:06 A.M. Ecuador Standard Time, June 26, 2014; crowned 12:23 A.M. EST; June 26, 2014; instituted the Separation of Positions 1:07 A.M. EST, June 26, 2014; retired from office 4:58 P.M. EST, June 27, 2014; returned to office 1:05 A.M. EST, June 30, 2014; retired again 12:05 P.M. EST

Altruistic Paladins
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Altruistic Paladins » Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:27 pm

Name: Nikita Yevgeniy "Zhenya" Popov
Sex: male
Nationality: Russian
Height: 5'3 (at start of school year)
Weight: 135 (at start of school-year)
Hair: dark blond
Eyes: brown
Costume (if any): (zebra-print, hooded, button-up, long-sleeve shirt [unbuttoned]), red sleeveless jacket (worn over previous item, unzipped), red-tinted black goggles, grey collar shirt (first layer of clothing on torso), red paisley bandana (worn as face cover), orange and grey messenger bag, red wind pants, black and red cleats
Abilities:

"Knife Nut": Superhuman knifemanship that gives the following abilities:
-The ability to spawn five-knives at will once every hour.
-The ability to move much faster and with much more agility when holding a knife.
-Increased cutting and stabbing ability. To elaborate, knives he wields are, with his current ability, able to slash through concrete (an important note is that human bone is 32 times tougher than concrete) and, when dealing with inanimate objects (which his powers are much better at doing), is able to cut a one-meter diameter hole in a steel wall in three minutes' time.
-The ability for knives he wields to never dull.

"Holding Out for a Hero": The ability to have and give minor superpowers to everyone involved in a situation, including the following superpowers:
-the ability to survive a fall of fifty feet without trouble, with anything between that and the height of the tallest waterfall in world requiring just nine or more feet of cubic water to make the fall harmless
-the ability to fire weapons airborne, arms akimbo, one-handed, sideways, running, or multiple other improper ways without a decrease in accuracy
-the ability to suppress the sounds of bullets in air and exiting the barrel for any individuals that are not either canines or of superhuman hearing
-the ability to enhance bulletproof materials so that they are of a much higher grade to the point where there can be no side-effects from getting shot so long as the bullet hits the armor
-the ability to make CPR a squeaky clean matter that never results in resuscitated individuals puking and can even resuscitate individuals for whom CPR would otherwise just be a stop-gap for proper medical care

"Never Found the Body" (if no body is found or a non-corrupt coroner does not check the body, he is either in a remote corner of the world/universe training or a tropical island, sipping screwdrivers, while waiting for either the bar to start refusing service to him or for proper dramatic timing)

Brief Bio: Born in Saint Petersburg, Russia, Zhenya was an odd person. Suffering from cultural cringe, Zhenya embraced Swedish and American culture over Russian culture. From that, Zhenya has self-taught himself English successfully and horribly butchered Swedish due to a cruel irony of fates. Having a tendency toward the extravagant, there was an odd following he gained. With odd ideas, he fashioned the group as "ninjas", a word used very loosely due to heavy inspiration from two Michael Dudikoff movies. Once he and this group reached high-school, the group turned into a group of delinquents as Zhenya fancied himself as the "Tony Montana of underage-drinking" as a supplier of booze for any event that could be improved by the addition of liquor. His powers also manifested themselves at the same time, though he was unaware of what to do with them and just ignored their presence.

The menagerie of rum-running, unusually, benefited from the emergence of vampires. Rather than simply taking part in defense, he mobilized his gang of five from rum-runners into gun-runners, making large profits-off superhuman abilities that made him excellent at fighting-off vampires that got in the way of his operations, effectively ensuring his ability to maintain trade of ammunition (officially) in the city and a large amount of illicit substances (unofficially).

With the vampire war dying down, an agent of some-kind or another cut-him a deal so that his family could live in Sweden and authorities distracted from his "ninjas'" inefficiencies at stealth and subtlety in exchange for membership without a significant cut of profits going to bribery. Despite Zhenya's conceptions, it is not the CIA, but the work of a front-organization ran by the rogue KCIA Unit 684.

During his time at the station, his activities were predominately occupied with one of two things, running his "ninjas" over the phone, which ate-up a large amount of his time due to an attempted crackdown by the FSB, and dating Akira. The relationship fell through despite a similar appreciation for the culture of 1980's America.
Last edited by Altruistic Paladins on Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:05 pm, edited 5 times in total.
By Hits Holy Hand,
The Imperial Majesty Emperor Norton II of the People of the DSA and Protector of Ukraine
Inaugurated 12:06 A.M. Ecuador Standard Time, June 26, 2014; crowned 12:23 A.M. EST; June 26, 2014; instituted the Separation of Positions 1:07 A.M. EST, June 26, 2014; retired from office 4:58 P.M. EST, June 27, 2014; returned to office 1:05 A.M. EST, June 30, 2014; retired again 12:05 P.M. EST

Mighty Asgard
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Mighty Asgard » Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:18 pm

Altruistic Paladins wrote:
Name: Nikita Yevgeniy "Zhenya" Popov
Sex: male
Nationality: Russian
Height: 5'3 (at start of school year)
Weight: 135 (at start of school-year)
Hair: dark blond
Eyes: brown
Costume (if any): (zebra-print, hooded, button-up, long-sleeve shirt [unbuttoned]), red sleeveless jacket (worn over previous item, unzipped), red-tinted black goggles, grey tee shirt (first layer of clothing on torso), red paisley bandana (worn as face cover), orange and grey messenger bag, red wind pants, black and red cleats
Abilities:

"Knife Nut": Superhuman knifemanship that gives the following abilities:
-The ability to spawn five-knives at will once every hour.
-The ability to move much faster and with much more agility when holding a knife.
-Increased cutting and stabbing ability. To elaborate, knives he wields are, with his current ability, able to slash through concrete (an important note is that human bone is 32 times tougher than concrete) and, when dealing with inanimate objects (which his powers are much better at doing), is able to cut a one-meter diameter hole in a steel wall in three minutes' time.
-The ability for knives he wields never dull.

"Holding Out for a Hero": The ability to have and give minor superpowers to everyone involved in a situation, including the following superpowers:
-the ability to survive a fall of fifty feet without trouble, with anything between that and the height of the tallest waterfall in world requiring just nine or more feet of cubic water to make the fall harmless
-the ability to fire weapons airborne, arms akimbo, one-handed, sideways, running, or multiple other improper ways without a decrease in accuracy
-the ability to suppressor the sounds of bullets in air and exiting the barrel for any individuals that are not either canines or of superhuman hearing
-the ability to enhance bulletproof materials so that they are of a much higher grade to the point where there can be no side-effects from getting shot so long as the bullet hits the armor
-the ability to make CPR a squeaky clean matter that never results in resuscitated individuals puking and can even resuscitate individuals for whom CPR would otherwise just be a stop-gap for proper medical care

"Never Found the Body" (if no body is found or a non-corrupt coroner does not check the body, he is either in a remote corner of the world/universe training or a tropical island, sipping screwdrivers, while waiting for either the bar to start refusing service to him or for proper dramatic timing)

Brief Bio: Born in Saint Petersburg, Russia, Zhenya was an odd person. Suffering from cultural cringe, Zhenya embraced Swedish and American culture over Russian culture. From that, Zhenya has self-taught himself English successfully and horribly butchered Swedish due to a cruel irony of fates. Having a tendency toward the extravagant, there was an odd following he gained. With odd ideas, he fashioned the group as "ninjas", a word used very loosely due to heavy inspiration from Michael Dudikoff. Once he and this group reached high-school, the group turned into a group of delinquents as Zhenya fancied himself as the "Tony Montana of underage-drinking" as a supplier of booze for any event that could be improved by the addition of liquor. His powers also manifested themselves at the same time, though he was unaware of what to do with them and just ignored their presence.

The menagerie of rum-running, unusually, benefited from the emergence of vampires. Rather than simply taking part in defense, he mobilized his gang of five from rum-runners into gun-runners, making large profits-off superhuman abilities that made him excellent at fighting-off vampires that got in the way of his operations, effectively ensuring his ability to maintain trade of ammunition (officially) in the city and a large amount of illicit substances (unofficially).

With the vampire war dying down, an agent of some-kind or another cut-him a deal so that his family could live in Sweden and authorities distracted from his "ninjas" inefficiencies at stealth and subtlety in exchange for membership without a significant cut of profits going to bribery. Despite Zhenya's conceptions, it is not the CIA, but the work of a front-organization ran by the rogue KCIA Unit 684.

During his time at the station, his activities were predominately occupied with one of two things, running his "ninjas" over the phone, which ate-up a large amount of his time due to an attempted crackdown by the FSB, and dating Akira. The relationship fell through despite a similar appreciation for the culture of 1980's America.

Accepted.

Corrian
Khan of Spam

New York Times Democracy

Postby Corrian » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:33 pm

Altruistic Paladins wrote:I think that it will probably be problematic already I can say that it would be problematic due to one aspect of your post.

I meant the English one. Didn't realize I had to be specific :P

If you are not even aware that there is more than one sign language, I think it would be best just to ignore it. Hell, she can already speak English and butchered Russian.

Pretend her Russian isn't butchered...her native tongue is Russian, after all. Her English should be the butchered one but she speaks better English then a lot of people who speak English. I don't have the time and patience to learn an entire language for the sake of getting my RP character just right language-wise, so I just used Google Translate. Especially when Russian isn't on the top of my list of languages to learn.
My Last.FM and RYM

Altruistic Paladins
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Altruistic Paladins » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:50 pm

Corrian wrote:
Altruistic Paladins wrote:I think that it will probably be problematic already I can say that it would be problematic due to one aspect of your post.

I meant the English one. Didn't realize I had to be specific :P

If you are not even aware that there is more than one sign language, I think it would be best just to ignore it. Hell, she can already speak English and butchered Russian.

Pretend her Russian isn't butchered...her native tongue is Russian, after all. Her English should be the butchered one but she speaks better English then a lot of people who speak English. I don't have the time and patience to learn an entire language for the sake of getting my RP character just right language-wise, so I just used Google Translate. Especially when Russian isn't on the top of my list of languages to learn.

There is no English sign language.

Within British, Australian and New Zealand Sign Language family alone, there are six different sign languages used in predominately English-speaking areas, and they are about as related as Italian and Spanish. In the French sign-language family, you have American Sign Language, which, in addition to common usage in English-speaking Canada and the United States, is also predominately used in Bolivia, French Guyana, and a large amount of central and western African nations, resulting in multiple dialects (basically about as separated as North American English and British English).

Since you offered no indication that Kira has ever lived outside Russia and the general state of education for any sign-language in Russia considering the generally horrible quality of translators (Russian sign-language education for those who are not hearing impaired tends to be very poor) and just how bad an idea trying to learn a new language over the internet is rather than through a teacher (I cannot stress enough about how horrible the internet is for learning the pragmatics of a language), the circumstances would imply that Kira had to have lived outside of Russia for an extended period of time while enrolled in a school that did not speak her language (the fact that she speaks English in a non-English affect confirms that she learned the language after the age of ten at earliest; anybody who learned the language earlier than that would have bilingual and thus not be speaking either with an inappropriate accent).

To summarize, this means that either:

A. Kira learned ASL from a Russian school teacher (a Russian school-teacher knowing ASL is less likely than getting killed by a shark).
B. Kira moved to the United States or non-Quebecois Canada after age 10-11 and her ASL instructor apparently also managed the "English as a second-language" class while having enough proficiency in Russian to teach in it.

Now, the least probable extrapolations of how she could accomplish this without contradicting developmental psychology to justify this:

C. Kira learned ASL at the same time as she was learning English, somehow not severely screwing-up her understanding of ASL in the process either due to the blind luck of a language she was learning being translated into another language she is still learning back into her first-language since most ASL classes of any dialect tend to be taught in either English (Canada), Spanish (Bolivia), French (French Guyana), a bunch of Niger-Congo languages (Ghana), Arabic (Morocco), and various Berber languages (Morocco), none of which are Russian since the probability that a Russian-speaking person needing to know how to use ASL without first being proficient in English is ridiculously low.
D. Kira somehow became proficient at a sign language purely through books and the internet (which would be almost impossible to find in Russian) despite the often severe difficulty in teaching pragmatics that both have and the time spent between becoming proficient in English after 10-11 and attending the school.

With the facts you have provided, I cannot deduce how Kira could possibly learn both English and become proficient in ASL within the chronology presented without suggesting that either Kira is trilingual and just speaking English in a Russian accent for some reason with ASL being learned alongside Russian and English (considering citizenship laws of Russia and the United States, the fact that you did not specify "American-Russian" in nationality suggests that this is just pointless speculation on my part) or suggesting that there is a highly compressed moment within her chronology somewhere between the years spent learning English after 10-11 and the years spent becoming proficient in ASL (which is doubtful due to her age, and this is ignoring the pragmatics problem or the alternative that is the unmentioned major life event that is moving to Canada or the United States shortly after learning English).

Edit: Remembering the mentioned details about Kira learning English, this narrows it down to one of three scenarios, all of which are improbable, the first more improbable than the other and the second outright contradicting information in the application and the third requiring heavy inference about Kira's history (the "learning it from books and internet" one, the "American-Russian mixed-marriage where a parent taught her both English and ASL after age 11" answer and the "moved to anglophone Canada/US" one)
Last edited by Altruistic Paladins on Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:58 am, edited 6 times in total.
By Hits Holy Hand,

Orinon
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 08, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Orinon » Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:30 am

While we're talking about languages, Alexi's native language is Russian, she's fluent in English, if a bit iffy with big words, and she can hold a conversation in Mandarin Chinese.

She also knows exactly two words in German: Ficken and Miststück.
Last edited by Orinon on Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
I did some threads a long ass time ago that some people care about Iunno ya'll crazy.

Answers to Orinon or Watery. Part time author, part time gas station attendant, full time cynical bastard.

Corrian
Khan of Spam

New York Times Democracy

Postby Corrian » Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:37 am

How the hell does AP know all these things?

I'll give a more thorough response tomorrow when I wake up...
My Last.FM and RYM

Glovania
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Glovania » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:25 am

FINALLY! I shall post.

Pragia
Powerbroker

Founded: May 08, 2012
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Pragia » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:52 am

Only one language Thomas knows.

English! Do you speak it!

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse