NATION

PASSWORD

DEFEATED: Microcredit & Microgrants

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Charlotte Ryberg
The Muse of the Westcountry

Founded: Mar 14, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:16 pm

Honoured ambassador Dr. Castro:

Apart from the suggestion to compress the definitions section as explained here, I think there is no more reasonable concerns that I can think of. I would suggest full steam ahead after the compression of the clause I pointed out.

Yours etc,

Ms. Sarah Harper, ambassador and delegate.

Glen-Rhodes
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 25, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Glen-Rhodes » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:35 pm

There isn't much of a need to compress the definitions; the proposal is well under the length limit. That said, I may submit this soon, if my schedule permits.

Dr. Bradford William Castro

Ambassador-at-Large,
Permanent Chief of Mission for World Assembly affairs,
the Commonwealth of Glen-Rhodes

Glen-Rhodes
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Glen-Rhodes » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:40 pm

Diatraba
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 12, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Diatraba » Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:50 am

Sorry, but is this a resolution which aims to micromanage the Assembly's finances? If it is, I'd vote FOR - I'll have a word with my regional delegate to approve this

Désolé, mais est-ce une résolution qui vise à la microgestion des finances de l'Assemblée? Dans ce cas, je voterais pour - je vais parler avec mon délégué régional en vue d'approuver cette excellente résolution
Dimitri MacCarinson - Honourary Chief Ambassador on behalf of the Communist State of Diatraba (PMT)- One nation, one vision!
DEFCON: 3 - army at rediness - rediness levels above normal
UK Threat Level: Substantial - an attack is a strong possibility
REDCON: 2 - Full Alert - Army ready to fight
My Nation's Political Compass: Economic Left/Right: -4.50
Social Libertarian Authoritarian: 3.69
My Political Compass
Our economic report

Glen-Rhodes
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Glen-Rhodes » Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:31 am

I didn't expect the trial submission to make it quorum. I noticed a typo yesterday evening and planned on taking it down and fixing it today. I'm not too sure how the typo will affect the resolution, if it is passed.
- Forming lending standards to which all authorized IMF lenders are bound, and routinely inspecting the practices and finances of authorized WMF lenders;

Diatraba wrote:Sorry, but is this a resolution which aims to micromanage the Assembly's finances? If it is, I'd vote FOR - I'll have a word with my regional delegate to approve this.

No, I'm afraid it's not. It pools together credit lenders to provide microcredit to poor entrepreneurs.

Ambassador-at-Large,

Diatraba
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Diatraba » Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:47 am

Glen-Rhodes wrote:I didn't expect the trial submission to make it quorum. I noticed a typo yesterday evening and planned on taking it down and fixing it today. I'm not too sure how the typo will affect the resolution, if it is passed.
- Forming lending standards to which all authorized IMF lenders are bound, and routinely inspecting the practices and finances of authorized WMF lenders;

Diatraba wrote:Sorry, but is this a resolution which aims to micromanage the Assembly's finances? If it is, I'd vote FOR - I'll have a word with my regional delegate to approve this.

No, I'm afraid it's not. It pools together credit lenders to provide microcredit to poor entrepreneurs.

Ambassador-at-Large,

and WHAT, may I ask, is microcredit? I am not a businessman, a statistician, a mathematician, nor an economist! Threfore, good sir, you will need to explain what you mean.

et ce qui, je vous le demande, le microcrédit? Je ne suis pas un homme d'affaires, un statisticien, un mathématicien, ni un économiste! Par conséquent, mon bon monsieur, vous aurez besoin d'expliquer ce que vous entendez.
Dimitri MacCarinson - Honourary Chief Ambassador on behalf of the Communist State of Diatraba (PMT)- One nation, one vision!
My Political Compass
Our economic report

Charlotte Ryberg
The Muse of the Westcountry

Founded: Mar 14, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:57 am

Glen-Rhodes wrote:I didn't expect the trial submission to make it quorum. I noticed a typo yesterday evening and planned on taking it down and fixing it today. I'm not too sure how the typo will affect the resolution, if it is passed.

I think that is an unintentional typo that's unlikely to cause serious problems. As the GA proposal rules state:
A Proposal won't be nuked for the occasional typo, but if I have to spend a good chunk of time trying to figure out what's going on, it'll be nuked.

And not to worry, IMF is an acronym for a good handful of organizations and terms, from a anatomy term to a file format. Either way, I've voted in favour.

Glen-Rhodes
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Glen-Rhodes » Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:54 am

Diatraba wrote:and WHAT, may I ask, is microcredit? I am not a businessman, a statistician, a mathematician, nor an economist! Threfore, good sir, you will need to explain what you mean.

I would not be deserving of my station if I wrote a resolution without describing its meaning. The definition of microcredit is provided in the text:
DEFINES microcredit as the extension of loans for small sums of money, by lenders to those in poverty, for the purpose of sustaining livelihood and encouraging entrepreneurship;

Ambassador-at-Large,

Quintessence of Dust
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 21, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Quintessence of Dust » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:17 pm

OOC: Your proposal uses both 'WMF' and 'IMF'.
The fight is long and tough, but together, we can make it. -- José Carlos Mariátegui

Two kinds of pork in one soup? Bring it on. -- Christina Hendricks

Lou Sonova
Attaché

Founded: Apr 02, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Lou Sonova » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:26 pm

Ok so in order for me to cast my vote on this I need to know one thing.Why does the world assembly need to get involved I have my on thories on why but i want to here it from the one proposing this idea,why does the world assembly need to establish this loan system?Why cant this be done by private coorperations?

Diatraba
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Diatraba » Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:06 pm

I have - after a lot of thought and conversation with our Director for Finance - decided to vote FOR this resolution. After consulting the tally of delegate votes, I see that my honoured delegate (Alsted) has given 287 votes in favour (which means that he received 286 endorsements - all of which he put towards this resolution - and he had his own single vote, which he has put to this resolution)

This is a well-thought resolution, and I think Doctor Castro should be congratulated for such an ingenious idea

Que tengo - después de mucho pensamiento y la conversación con nuestro Director de Finanzas - decidieron votar por esta resolución. Previa consulta al recuento de los votos de los delegados, veo que mi delegado honor (Alsted) ha emitido 287 votos a favor (lo que significa que recibió 286 anotaciones - todas las cuales se dedicará a la presente resolución - y tenía su propio voto único, que que ha dedicado a esta resolución)

Esta es una resolución bien pensado, y creo que el doctor Castro debería ser felicitado por esta idea ingeniosa

J'ai - après beaucoup de réflexion et de conversation avec notre directeur des finances - a décidé de voter pour cette résolution. Après avoir consulté le décompte des voix des délégués, je vois que mon délégué honneur (Alsted) a donné 287 voix en faveur (ce qui signifie qu'il a reçu 286 mentions - qui a mis à cette résolution - et il avait sa propre voix unique, qui il a mis à la présente résolution)

Cette résolution est bien pensé, et je pense que le docteur Castro doit être félicité pour cette idée ingénieuse

Ich habe - nach einem viel Nachdenken und Gespräch mit unserem Direktor für Finanzen - beschlossen, für diese Entschließung stimmen. Nach Anhörung der Tally der Delegiertenstimmen, sehe ich, daß mein verehrter delegieren (Alsted) verfügt über 287 Stimmen (was bedeutet, dass er 286 Vermerke - empfangen gegeben, die er alle in diese Richtung gesetzt Auflösung - und er hatte seine einzige Stimme, die er hat zu dieser Entschließung Put)

Dies ist eine gut durchdachte Lösung, und ich glaube, Doktor Castro für solch eine geniale Idee sollte gratuliert werden
Last edited by Flibbleites on Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Political Compass
Our economic report

Krioval
Minister

Founded: Jan 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Krioval » Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:23 pm

Diatraba wrote:snip

OOC: Could you please put the non-English translations into a spoiler tag or something. They're taking up roughly 3/4 of your post.

Lou Sonova
Attaché

Founded: Apr 02, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Lou Sonova » Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:27 pm

Diatraba wrote:I have - after a lot of thought and conversation with our Director for Finance - decided to vote FOR this resolution. After consulting the tally of delegate votes, I see that my honoured delegate (Alsted) has given 287 votes in favour (which means that he received 286 endorsements - all of which he put towards this resolution - and he had his own single vote, which he has put to this resolution)

This still leaves me wondering ok you like this thought but why do you think such a resolution neds to be "international" and not a private coorperation

Hiriaurtung Arororugul
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Mar 03, 2009
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Hiriaurtung Arororugul » Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:53 pm

ENCOURAGES nations with areas of large numbers of impoverished citizens to inquire about and establish IMF chapters in those areas;

Dr. Castro, could you please clarify the meaning of these two clauses? How are IMF lenders to be bound by lending standards? What exactly would an IMF chapter consist of? What do the letters IMF stand for?

Don't tell me you're trying to sneak an International Monetary Fund in through the back door.

Hiriaurtung Arororugul picks up an acoustic guitar, and in his thick Aundotutunagirian accent begins singing a horrible little song about the IMF.

Padded with power here they come
International loan sharks backed by the guns
Of market hungry military profiteers
Whose word is a swamp and whose brow is smeared
With the blood of the poor

Who rob life of its quality
Who render rage a necessity
By turning countries into labour camps
Modern slavers in drag as champions of freedom

Sinister cynical instrument
Who makes the gun into a sacrament --
The only response to the deification
Of tyranny by so-called "developed" nations'
Idolatry of ideology

North South East West
Kill the best and buy the rest
It's just spend a buck to make a buck
You don't really give a flying fuck
About the people in misery

IMF dirty MF
Takes away everything it can get
Always making certain that there's one thing left
Keep them on the hook with insupportable debt

See the paid-off local bottom feeders
Passing themselves off as leaders
Kiss the ladies shake hands with the fellows
Open for business like a cheap bordello

And they call it democracy

See the loaded eyes of the children too
Trying to make the best of it the way kids do
One day you're going to rise from your habitual feast
To find yourself staring down the throat of the beast
They call the revolution

IMF dirty MF
Last edited by Hiriaurtung Arororugul on Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hiriaurtung Arororugul
WA Ambassador
The People of Aundotutunagir

WARNING! This account only posts in-character and will treat all posts directed at it as in-character as well.

The ivain isles
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 10, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby The ivain isles » Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:48 pm

Hiriaurtung Arororugul wrote:

ENCOURAGES nations with areas of large numbers of impoverished citizens to inquire about and establish IMF chapters in those areas;

Dr. Castro, could you please clarify the meaning of these two clauses? How are IMF lenders to be bound by lending standards? What exactly would an IMF chapter consist of? What do the letters IMF stand for?

Don't tell me you're trying to sneak an International Monetary Fund in through the back door.

Hiriaurtung Arororugul picks up an acoustic guitar, and in his thick Aundotutunagirian accent begins singing a horrible little song about the IMF.

Padded with power here they come
International loan sharks backed by the guns
Of market hungry military profiteers
Whose word is a swamp and whose brow is smeared
With the blood of the poor

Who rob life of its quality
Who render rage a necessity
By turning countries into labour camps
Modern slavers in drag as champions of freedom

Sinister cynical instrument
Who makes the gun into a sacrament --
The only response to the deification
Of tyranny by so-called "developed" nations'
Idolatry of ideology

North South East West
Kill the best and buy the rest
It's just spend a buck to make a buck
You don't really give a flying fuck
About the people in misery

IMF dirty MF

See the paid-off local bottom feeders
Passing themselves off as leaders
Kiss the ladies shake hands with the fellows
Open for business like a cheap bordello

See the loaded eyes of the children too
Trying to make the best of it the way kids do
One day you're going to rise from your habitual feast
To find yourself staring down the throat of the beast
They call the revolution

IMF dirty MF

If you read the last posts you would know IMF was a typo.
I probably hate everything you stand for. (and on)

My political viewpoint: Social democratic liberal

Why I want to destroy the very fabric of society

Hiriaurtung Arororugul
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Mar 03, 2009
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Hiriaurtung Arororugul » Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:55 pm

The ivain isles wrote:If you read the last posts you would know IMF was a typo.

Your point?

Typo or not it is within the text of the proposal, is it not? Therefore it is a component of this proposed resolution and must be considered as if it were placed there intentionally. The law does what the law says.
Hiriaurtung Arororugul
WA Ambassador
The People of Aundotutunagir

WARNING! This account only posts in-character and will treat all posts directed at it as in-character as well.

Glen-Rhodes
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Glen-Rhodes » Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:46 pm

Quintessence of Dust wrote:OOC: Your proposal uses both 'WMF' and 'IMF'.

OOC: I know. I didn't notice it until yesterday evening. I planned on taking it down today, but when I got online, it was already at-vote. Never really expected the proposal to reach quorum without a TG campaign; it was only a test submission. :\ I'm not sure how the typos will affect the resolution, if it's passed. "IMF" is used in a key clause.

Mad Sheep Railgun
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 27, 2009
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Mad Sheep Railgun » Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:58 pm

Glen-Rhodes wrote:Never really expected the proposal to reach quorum without a TG campaign; it was only a test submission.

It happens. Commend AMOM reached quorum without me sending a single TG.

I'm going to oppose this IC because, well, Arororugul likes to scream OPPOSSED. I'm not sure what the effect of having "IMF" in there would be. You can't claim that lenders are held to lending standards because it's talking about IMF authorized lenders and since the IMF is never actually established it doesn't exist in any real sense. It can still "routinely inspect the practices and finances of authorized WMF lenders" though.

The other clause, about the IMF chapters, is not a mandatory clause anyway so I guess that's not a problem.

A possible fix for all this would be to establish the IMF in a later resolution.
OOC puppet of Yelda

The St Timothy Isles
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Mar 08, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The St Timothy Isles » Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:27 pm

Maybe the IMF in a later resolution can include:

CHANGES any typos before this resolution containing IMF to WMF

or something?

This helps my repeal of International Road Safety become obsolete. It's good because I wasn't going anywhere with it. Search it up in this forum.
Siv Jackson, Minister of Foreign Affairs and World Assembly votes

DEFCON 5
"To make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe..."
--Carl Sagan
"The Jonas Brothers are here. They're out there somewhere. Sasha and Malia are huge fans. But, boys, don't get any ideas. I have two words for you: predator drones. You will never see it coming. You think I'm joking."
--Barrack Obama

Create a Mario Kart track!—http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=53596

Free and Open States
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 28, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Free and Open States » Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:35 pm

The Confederacy can not support this resolution.

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Founded: Jul 29, 2008
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Rich Port » Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:37 pm

Microcrediting? Isn't that what people do to boost their credit scores? :blink:
THOSE THAT SOW THORNS SHOULD NOT EXPECT FLOWERS
CONSERVATISM IS FEAR AND STAGNATION AS IDEOLOGY. ONLY MARCH FORWARD.

Pronouns: She/Her
The Alt-Right Playbook
Alt-right/racist terminology
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Enn
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 26, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Enn » Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:47 pm

Krioval wrote:
Diatraba wrote:snip

OOC: Could you please put the non-English translations into a spoiler tag or something. They're taking up roughly 3/4 of your post.

Also, why use those other languages? OOC, we write in English. IC, the Universal Translator deals with various languages. From an IC perspective, it seems rather dismissive of you to specify four particular languages as being 'worthy' of posting in.
I know what gay science is.
Reploid Productions wrote:The World Assembly as a whole terrifies me!
Pythagosaurus wrote:You are seriously deluded about the technical competence of the average human.

Virtualila
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 10, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Virtualila » Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:50 pm

Virtualila stands opposed to this proposal. While we commend the nation of Glen-Rhodes for their attempt to fight poverty, we believe that instituting even more credit is the exact opposite of what is nessecary to do so. It is worth noting that entire economies have crashed when too many civilians have found themselves in debts they cannot reimburse, largely as a result of credit and loans-- these people find themselves homeless and faces debts which they have no hope to pay off. We would go as far to say that, instead of providing yet another credit system, that international credit systems need to be tightened greatly to insure that civilians do not take out loans that they cannot pay back.
When you are too far to one side that you can no longer see even the near borders of the other, regardless of the cause, you have gone too far.

Proud Centrist Social Libertarian
Political Compass: Left: -3.00, Libertarian: -6.10
Political Spectrum: Left: 0.36, Libertarian: 5.27

Glen-Rhodes
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Glen-Rhodes » Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:52 pm

Mad Sheep Railgun wrote:A possible fix for all this would be to establish the IMF in a later resolution.

Or repealing this (should it pass), at some later point in time, and resubmitting it without the typos. Seems kind of pointless to create a resolution to say that the IMF is synonymous with the WMF. At this point in time, I'm asking delegates who voted for to now vote against, so that it can just be resubmitted.

Flibbleites
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jan 02, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Flibbleites » Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:01 pm

The St Timothy Isles wrote:Maybe the IMF in a later resolution can include:

CHANGES any typos before this resolution containing IMF to WMF

or something?

No, that would be an amendment and amendments are illegal.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives