NATION

PASSWORD

Nationstates Olympic Games Discussion Thread

A battle ground for the sportsmen and women of nations worldwide. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Saugeais
Minister

Founded: Jul 07, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Saugeais » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:06 pm

City Information:
Arçon is the fourth largest city in the nation (behind Montbenoit, Bugny, and Les Alliés) with a population of around 1.1 million people, and is one of the oldest settlements in the country’s history. Historians attribute Arçon as one of the nation’s founding towns when a traveling medieval lord, Landry of Joux (now Saint Croix) took rest in a bountiful valley surrounded by rolling hills. Looking upon the wonderous land, he decide to found an abbey for his monks traveling with him on the journey. The name of the town originally was “Terre d’Arçon”, so given by Lord Landry when, needing to replace his worn out saddle, found the neighboring forest’s wood was the perfect material for carving saddles out of, thus becoming the “Land of Saddles.” The name was shortened to its current iteration some time later.

Saugeais has a well developed infrastructure, linking each major city (which includes the host cities) via the Saugeais National Highway system. Within each city runs their own independently run public transportation, and specifically for Arçon, one has a wide range to choose from, whether it’s the buses and trolleys of the ATA (Arçon Transit Authority) to the several taxis that litter the street, much to the dismay of the city’s failed governmental action to remove them.

Country Information:
Saugeais has always been a fantastic sports country, hosting several major football, baseball, and rugby tournaments in the past, with the majority of the 75 million populous being more than hospitable to out-of-towners. The nation hasn't had much history in the Olympics, as they have entered onto the world stage during the 6th Summer Olympics. To further add on that fact, no Saugeain delegation has entered into a Winter Olympics, causing much confusion as to why the nation is choosing to host one. There were supremely long deliberations among the Saugeain Olympic Committee as to whether or not a city within the nation could host such an event, but finally came to the conclusion that Arçon was the best fit to hold it in.

Thanks to the ski resort, Arçon tends to get crowded during the wintertime, as every avid skier and snowboarder shoots down the mountain in recreation (most of the time), or settling in the lodge for relaxation on holiday, be it from the locals and travelers alike. The nation is relaxed when it comes to foreign presence, as tourism is one of the main sources of revenue for Saugeais. Laws enforcement is on the lenient side, but any overt attempts at crime will result in harsh penalties.

Facilities:
At current, only three of the proposed venues are currently standing and in operation: Arrowpoint Place, the Saugeais National Forest, and the Arçon Ski Resort located within the forest. Should this bid be selected, construction and/or renovation will immediately begin on the remaining venues and the Olympic Park. Those venues and the Olympic Park will be situated in and around the Saugeais National Forest.

Arrowpoint Place: This stadium, currently in use for the city’s eponymous domestic league club, has been expanded from its original 51,000 capacity by adding a third row of seating specifically for the Olympics. With the help of footings built into the stadium in case such an expansion was deemed necessary by the domestic team’s accord, the stadium can now temporary hold up to 80,000 people, press, and dignitaries all in comfort during the opening and closing ceremonies for which will be the stadium’s only function during these Olympics.

Arçon National Ski Resort and Saugeais National Forest: The ski resort built in the middle of two of the largest hills on the outskirts of the SNF will house the alpine skiing, freestyle skiing, and snowboarding events. The forest itself will play host to the biathlon and cross country skiing events, as well as having specialized bobsleigh and luge tracks built to hold those events.

Arçon Olympic Arena: Renamed for this event, the home court of the Arçon University collegiate basketball team will be converted into a 15,500 seat ice rink with the intent of holding all of the Olympic hockey matches.

Arçon Olympic Oval: Built 3 miles west of the main Olympic grounds but still along the edge of the forest, the Olympics Oval will house the scheduled speed skating events. After the Olympics are over, the facility will become the new training ground for the Saugeain speed skating team.

Arçon National Ice Center: Currently used as the main training ground for small group ice sports, the 5,000 seat National Ice Center will be the host to the figure skating and short track speed skating events.

Arçon Curling Center: The facility originally opened up as a recreational training center for curling, ice hockey, and figure skating. For these Olympics, however, it will concentrate on being the main venue for the curling events. With the national figure skating and ice hockey teams moving to separate venues after the Olympics are over, the Curling Center will then just hold its namesake sport within its walls.

Olympic Village and Medal Plaza: The Medal Plaza will be situated as the central hub between all the venues located within Olympic Park with each of the main venues’ buildings and the ski slopes within walking distance of the Plaza. The Olympic Village is set to the south end of the Plaza and divided into two one-square mile sections, positioned in such a way to coincide with the existing residential structures pre-built in the area. Shuttle buses will be available for athletes’ usage only to and from the Arrowpoint Place and Olympic Oval venues.

Bid Specifics:
The Games will take place over four weeks, from February 22 to March 22. Each RL day’s events will be split over two days where necessary, mostly for ease of scorination, but also to give more opportunities to roleplay. Daily RP cutoff and scorination will take place at 9pm CST.

The most up-to-date version of xkoranate at the time of the opening ceremony will be used.

The events list will follow the base list exactly to the letter. The base events from Vancouver will be in effect. Even with the next RL Winter Olympics right around the corner, no events currently approved for Sochi 2014 will be held. The base events from Sochi will be in effect, as they should be implemented in xkoranate by the time the Olympics start. There will be no demonstration events put forward as part of this bid, but demonstration events may be proposed and will be considered for inclusion.

Each user may enter up to two separate associations (clearly labelled as being controlled by the same user). Each one association may enter up to 200 entries; two associations by the same user may enter up to 300 entries in total (as long as neither exceeds 200). This is the same amount as the City Centre Olympics, which in Liventia’s words, are “mainly to ease the workload on me from non-RPing puppets, which tend to be almost all second entries.” The average rating will be announced at a later time, but will be the exact mean of the minimum and maximum possible ratings.

Unified teams may consist of more than two associations, but will either (a) be treated as an entry of two associations with a maximum limit of 300 athlete entries; or (b) be treated as a single combined entry to which either the 200 athlete entry limit would apply but allowing for a further puppet/master entry.
Last edited by Saugeais on Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:28 am, edited 3 times in total.
The Republic of Saugeais : newswire
Founder of the AIBC
Co-host, World Cup 65
Co-host, World Cup 60 | Co-host, 47th Cup of Harmony | Co-host, Baptism of Fire 50
Hosted: 9th Winter Olympics, Copa Rushmori XV,
19th Rugby Union World Cup, Di Bradini Cup 27
Copa Rushmori VII, World Baseball Classic 21,
9th Rugby League World Cup, Market Cup 3
1st Place: Copa Rushmori 16, Cup of Harmony 58, NSCAA 4
2nd Place: World Baseball Classic 19 & 22, Gaelic Football WC 4,
Di Bradini Cup 23, CoH 54, T20 Cricket Championships 3, Rugby LWC 14
3rd Place: Copa Rushmori 5, 14, 15 & 17, Market Cup 3, RLWC 10
4th Place: DBC 15, WBC 24

Saintland
Senator

Founded: Dec 22, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Saintland » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:17 pm

Saugeais wrote:The events list will follow the base list exactly to the letter. The base events from Vancouver will be in effect. Even with the next RL Winter Olympics right around the corner, no events currently approved for Sochi 2014 will be held. There will be no demonstration events put forward as part of this bid, but demonstration events may be proposed and will be considered for inclusion.

I want to propose that the new events for Sochi 2014 be held as demonstration events. I'm willing to put myself forward as a scorinator for those events.
Why I left NS Sports
NS Sports Results | Saintland Press | Commentaries on the WA's resolutions 7-22-14 update: Complete through #125 |
World Baseball Classic 27 co-host | World Bowl XXII host | World Cup of Hockey 23 host | Various Rankings | King Paulus XV Memorial Games
Official Name: Regnvm Sanctvsterra
Official Name in English: Kingdom of Saintland
Monarch: King Paulus XVI
Demonym: Sanctii
Trigram: SNT

Saugeais
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Saugeais » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:23 pm

Saintland wrote:
Saugeais wrote:The events list will follow the base list exactly to the letter. The base events from Vancouver will be in effect. Even with the next RL Winter Olympics right around the corner, no events currently approved for Sochi 2014 will be held. There will be no demonstration events put forward as part of this bid, but demonstration events may be proposed and will be considered for inclusion.

I want to propose that the new events for Sochi 2014 be held as demonstration events. I'm willing to put myself forward as a scorinator for those events.

Should my bid be approved, and if you still wish to do so, I would have no problems with that.
Founder of the AIBC
Co-host, World Cup 65
Co-host, World Cup 60 | Co-host, 47th Cup of Harmony | Co-host, Baptism of Fire 50

Commerce Heights
Minister

Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby Commerce Heights » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:48 pm

Point of order, Mr President: the most recent confirmed list of RL Olympic Winter Games events is clearly the one for Sochi 2014, and our base list should be revised accordingly. (With respect to Saugeais, I think it would be highly inappropriate to omit the new events from NS Games being held after the RL Games. To help ensure their inclusion, I’ll be willing to update xkoranate as needed for those events based on the Sochi results.)

Additionally, I request that my proposal made last year and duly endorsed by Liventia, Free South Califas (over Lymantatia’s objection), Qazox (in an apparent case of misattribution), and Shofercia be brought to vote along with the host bid(s).

1.3.2. Responsibilities
The President is responsible for:

• Identifying the most recent confirmed lists of real-life Olympic events—the “base list”—and acceptable additions to and omissions from that list (e.g., additions or omissions to be made for the next real-life Olympics, or additions for gender equality)—the “extended list.”

2.2. Choice of sports
The Olympic Winter Games shall contain only sports contested on snow or ice, while the Games of the Olympiad shall contain only sports not contested on snow or ice. All Games must include all of the sports and events on the base list identified by the President, with no additions or omissions except as permitted by the extended list. Any such additions or omissions must be identified in a hosting bid. No restriction is made on the inclusion of demonstration sports and events for which medals are not awarded.

For the sake of clarity, this proposal would delete the heretofore-unused provision allowing hosts to make “minor pragmatic changes” to the event list with the President’s approval, and would prohibit hosts from adding medal events beyond those on the President’s list. It would also make the current suggestions for what the President should include on the optional extended list into a mandate, barring future Presidents from adding arbitrary non-RL-Olympic events to our list of possible medal events.
Last edited by Commerce Heights on Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Liventia
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 04, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Liventia » Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:17 am

Commerce Heights wrote:Point of order, Mr President: the most recent confirmed list of RL Olympic Winter Games events is clearly the one for Sochi 2014, and our base list should be revised accordingly. (With respect to Saugeais, I think it would be highly inappropriate to omit the new events from NS Games being held after the RL Games. To help ensure their inclusion, I’ll be willing to update xkoranate as needed for those events based on the Sochi results.)

I will update our base list; you are quite right to note that if our Games are being held after the RL ones we should follow the RL list. I think our stance has generally been that we follow the last RL Olympics – which in this case would be Sochi.

Additionally, I request that my proposal made last year and duly endorsed by Liventia, Free South Califas (over Lymantatia’s objection), Qazox (in an apparent case of misattribution), and Shofercia be brought to vote along with the host bid(s).

This will be brought to vote concurrently with the host vote.
Слава Україні!

Gregoryisgodistan
Senator

Founded: Jun 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Gregoryisgodistan » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:16 am

Will the new Sochi events be held as demonstration events, full events, or not at all? I'm seeing conflicting information here. You struck through the Vancouver only info in your bid and added that Sochi events would be held, but now it might be demonstration events. Which one will it be? I'd rather they be full events, especially if it's after the RL Olympics.
Gregoryisgodistan, population 75,000,000. All citizens are required to worship Lord Almighty Gregory, our head of state, as a deity.
IBS II Champions
Beach Cup IX Round of 16
World Indoor Soccer Championship 6 - 2nd place
BoI XIV Champion
IBS III Champions
WCoH 22 Round of 16
WB XXII 10th Place in Casaran, advanced to Round of 32
IBS IV host, champion
4th in WCoH 23
WBC 29 QF
HWC 12 hosts
WJHC VI 2nd place,
CoH 60 4th place
WCoH XXIV Champs
CoH 61 Runner-Up
IBS VI Champs
BOI XVI Host
IBS VII Champs
WCoH XXV 2nd Place
WBC 32 2nd Place
IBS VIII host and champs
WBC 33 Host/QF
WCoH 27 co-host and champs
WC 72 Qualifier
WBC 34 champs
CoH 67 Third place

Ceni
Senator

Founded: Jun 26, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Ceni » Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:34 pm

Liventia wrote:
Ceni wrote:I'm going to consider bidding just for the sake of bidding- getting my country out there, a boost for tourism- I've some experience but I'd like to see how the community responds.

Please don't. If you win the bid it means you're actually responsible for producing the scores as well. And as it stands we have very little to judge you on.

I'll drop out then
THE REPUBLIC OF CENI (the user behind this nation uses he/him/his pronouns)
Air Terranea | The Wanderlust Guide to Ceni | Seven Restaurants in Seven Days: Cataloging Cenian Food
Champions: Di Bradini Cup 38, U-18 World Cup 17
Runners-up: Di Bradini Cup 39, Di Bradini Cup 41
NSTT #1s: Lonus Varalin, Ardil Navsal (singles), Gyrachor Rentos, Val Korekal, Elia Xal/Fia Xal (doubles)
UICA Champions' Cup titles (1): 1860 Azoth
World Cup 76, World Cup 79
Baptism of Fire 61
Cup of Harmony 63
Copa Rushmori 41
International Basketball Championships 20
Cenian Open (Grand Slam) 1-8
<Schottia> I always think of Ceni as what it would be like if Long Island was its own nation, ran by Bernie Sanders lol.

Gregoryisgodistan
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Gregoryisgodistan » Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:54 pm

Ceni wrote:
Liventia wrote:Please don't. If you win the bid it means you're actually responsible for producing the scores as well. And as it stands we have very little to judge you on.

I'll drop out then

You could write some RPs about a bid that was rejected because your country lacked experience. I've done things along those lines before, bidding for events I knew I wasn't capable of hosting, but doing them as RPs rather than real bids, and making it clear I had no facilities IC either.
Gregoryisgodistan, population 75,000,000. All citizens are required to worship Lord Almighty Gregory, our head of state, as a deity.
IBS II Champions
Beach Cup IX Round of 16
BoI XIV Champion
IBS III Champions
WCoH 22 Round of 16
IBS IV host, champion
4th in WCoH 23
WBC 29 QF
HWC 12 hosts
WJHC VI 2nd place,
CoH 60 4th place
WCoH XXIV Champs
CoH 61 Runner-Up
IBS VI Champs
BOI XVI Host
IBS VII Champs
WCoH XXV 2nd Place
WBC 32 2nd Place
IBS VIII host and champs
WBC 33 Host/QF
WC 72 Qualifier
WBC 34 champs
CoH 67 Third place

Ceni
Senator

Founded: Jun 26, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Ceni » Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:13 pm

Gregoryisgodistan wrote:You could write some RPs about a bid that was rejected because your country lacked experience. I've done things along those lines before, bidding for events I knew I wasn't capable of hosting, but doing them as RPs rather than real bids, and making it clear I had no facilities IC either.

I think that's what I'll do. Thanks.
THE REPUBLIC OF CENI (the user behind this nation uses he/him/his pronouns)
Air Terranea | The Wanderlust Guide to Ceni | Seven Restaurants in Seven Days: Cataloging Cenian Food
Champions: Di Bradini Cup 38, U-18 World Cup 17
Runners-up: Di Bradini Cup 39, Di Bradini Cup 41
NSTT #1s: Lonus Varalin, Ardil Navsal (singles), Gyrachor Rentos, Val Korekal, Elia Xal/Fia Xal (doubles)
UICA Champions' Cup titles (1): 1860 Azoth
World Cup 76, World Cup 79
Baptism of Fire 61
Cup of Harmony 63
Copa Rushmori 41
International Basketball Championships 20
Cenian Open (Grand Slam) 1-8
<Schottia> I always think of Ceni as what it would be like if Long Island was its own nation, ran by Bernie Sanders lol.

Saugeais
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Saugeais » Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:21 pm

Gregoryisgodistan wrote:Will the new Sochi events be held as demonstration events, full events, or not at all? I'm seeing conflicting information here. You struck through the Vancouver only info in your bid and added that Sochi events would be held, but now it might be demonstration events. Which one will it be? I'd rather they be full events, especially if it's after the RL Olympics.

Sochi events will be base events now, falling under the host's jurisdiction. Therefore, Saintland is not needed to run separate scorination for them, as that'll fall to the host.
Founder of the AIBC
Co-host, World Cup 65

Some Village
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 02, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Some Village » Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:14 pm

What's your view on min-maxing, Saugeais?
Cycling: host of the Island Tours & the WToC
Rugby: participant in the AVRU & host RWC XXI
Swamp Soccer: fourth place in the last World Championship
Korfball: victor of the World Korfball Classic III, second of the WKC IV (KPB: 2th)
Olympics: medals: four. Not too bad for a micronation.

Member of Astyria
Confirmed Puppet: Buyan
Population: 254

Saugeais
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Saugeais » Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:25 pm

Some Village wrote:What's your view on min-maxing, Saugeais?

I've had staunch feelings against it at first, but have grown to accept it if used in moderation.
Founder of the AIBC
Co-host, World Cup 65

Shofercia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 22, 2008

Postby Shofercia » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:36 pm

A guide to making your Olympic Team

This is for the newbies. If vets want to help out, go for it.

You look at the Olympic Sign Up Sheet: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=216619

Damn, that's confusing. So many numbers, and names, and events, and they all do something! Ay caramba! Take a deep breath. Now, let's take the first step together, you and this guide. Simply scan for the sport categories, these things, in fact, here's all of them:

BIATHLON

BOBSLEIGH
BOBSLEIGH
SKELETON

CURLING

ICE HOCKEY

LUGE

SKATING
FIGURE SKATING
SHORT TRACK SPEED SKATING
SPEED SKATING

SKIING
ALPINE SKIING
CROSS-COUNTRY SKIING
FREESTYLE SKIING
NORDIC COMBINED
SKI JUMPING
SNOWBOARDING

That's not so bad, is it? The reason for this, is that each sport category matches up with the RL Federation. Here's the comparison chart:

Biathlon - IBU
Bobsleigh - FIBT
Curling - WCF
Ice Hockey - IIHF
Luge - FIL
Skating - ISU
Skiing - FIS

So let's start, and let's just take one category. Let's go with Skating:

SKATING
FIGURE SKATING
SHORT TRACK SPEED SKATING
SPEED SKATING

As you can see, Skating has three sub categories, namely Figure Skating, Short Track Speed Skating and Speed Skating. If there are no subcategories, then you just go with the main category, treating it as a subcategory for the purpose of the sign up. So anyways, Skating. Let's go with Speed Skating. From this, we get:

SPEED SKATING
Men’s 500 m (3)
Men’s 1 000 m (3)
Men’s 1 500 m (3)
Men’s 5 000 m (2)
Men’s 10 000 m (2)
Men’s Team Pursuit (1 team of 3)
Women’s 500 m (3)
Women’s 1 000 m (3)
Women’s 1 500 m (3)
Women’s 3 000 m (2)
Women’s 5 000 m (2)
Women’s Team Pursuit (1 team of 3)

Let's start off with find six names, three male and three female, since 3 is the biggest number there. How about Larry, Curly and Moe for the guys, and Marcia, Jan and Cindy for the girls? When you're actually RPing this, you're going to want to be more creative with names, but this is my guide, so I can slack off in that category. And let's assign those names, so we get this:

SPEED SKATING
Men’s 500 m (3)
Larry
Curly
Moe
Men’s 1 000 m (3)
Larry
Curly
Moe
Men’s 1 500 m (3)
Larry
Curly
Moe
Men’s 5 000 m (2)
Larry
Curly
Men’s 10 000 m (2)
Larry
Moe
Larry-Curly-Moe
Women’s 500 m (3)
Marcia
Jan
Cindy
Women’s 1 000 m (3)
Marcia
Jan
Cindy
Women’s 1 500 m (3)
Marcia
Jan
Cindy
Women’s 3 000 m (2)
Marcia
Jan
Women’s 5 000 m (2)
Marcia
Cindy
Marcia-Jan-Cindy

Note how for the individual events, we used one line per athlete, but for the team events, we used a single line listing all of the athletes. That only happens when you have something like (1 team of 3) or (1 team of 2) or (1 team of 4), you get the picture. Each line is an entry, so for Skating, we have 28 entries. The average for your delegation should be 50 skill points. What are skill points? Helpful thingies that make your athletes perform better, so 50 or less, should be the average. For 28 entries, you get a total of 1,400 skill points. If this is your first sign up, I'd advise you to stick to the average for most subcategories. You don't have to. I just found it helpful.

As you can see, the Speed Skating subcategory has 12 events, six for men and six for women. So let's say that I want the 1400 points to be evenly spread: 700 for men and 700 for women. And let's say that I'm going to assign 100 to each team event, leaving 600 to be evenly spread amongst the five remaining events, so 120 per event. Again, you don't have to stick to these numbers, they're just there for simplicity's sake. For this, we get:

SPEED SKATING
Men’s 500 m (3)
Larry;S&B;40
Curly;S&B;40
Moe;S&B;40

You do this for every event and every category that you want your athletes to participate in. Oh, and as you can see, the "S&B" magically appeared, what the heck is that? S&B is the demo's country code, since the country is called Stooges & Brady Bunch, the S&B serves as an appropriate three letter/symbol code. Got it? See, not that complicated.

But there's one more thing. Not all events are individual. The hockey and curling events are team events. So here's what you do for that:

ICE HOCKEY
Men’s (1 team)
Stooges & Brady Bunch;S&B;50
Women's (1 team)
Stooges & Brady Bunch;S&B;50

And do the same for curling. Again, it's up to you how you modify it, just make sure that the average modifier is 50, and that there are no more than 200 entries total for your delegation, unless you're doing a joint one, and that's not recommended for your first Olympics.

"But everyone keeps talking about min-maxing, what the heck is that?"

Min-maxing is when you have a lot of players with 100, and 0, as modifiers, so that you get 50. That annoys some people, whereas others don't care. Whether you opt to min-max or not is up to you. Personally, I think that RPing gets your more medals than just min-maxing, but if you learn to do both well, your chances of winning a medal increase. That's just me though, some think that not min-maxing can also help you win. What it really comes down to, is good RPing.

"So, how do I RP?"

Seen a sport? If not, what the heck are you doing here? Go watch a sport. Use youtube. If you participate in a sport, that helps even more. So let's say that you participated in downhill skiing. What are you favorite associations? The wind, the speed, the snow, the scenery of the mountains, the amazingness of it all! Least favorite? Those ski boots! Just from that, you can throw together something decent:

"As athlete X skied down the silky snow, approaching the speed of James Bond, or so he thought, and he winced thinking about his rather uncomfortable ski boots. 007's boots were always comfortable, were they real? Or fake, just like everything else about that movie. He reduced his speed as he approached the corner..."

Then you're going to need to give your favorite athletes a background. Just your favorite, not all of them. If you try, you will go crazy. Although this wasn't an RP that I wrote for the Olympics, it can apply for Speed Skating. Long story short, my special forces of the country that I RP, train by taking down corrupt dictators, whereas my country, Shofercia, is extremely well run. So I figured why not have a girl end up being rescued by my special forces during one of their "training exercises" and have her train in Shofercia. That's the background. This is the RP that the background, plus the above given advice, generated:

Shofercia wrote:Shawnda Burki was ready for her race. She was focused. Today was going to be her day. Somehow, she knew it. Shawnda came a long way to be here, at the World Games. Part of her remembered when she was a little girl, in a poor, brutally oppressed country...

The men came. They always came. To take the kids, to be raped, or worse, to be gangpressed into the army of the "Vicious One". Everyone was to worship him. She remembered the raid on her village, running scared as the men came. Yet this time, something was different. Shawnda felt it, but she didn't know at the time.

The "Vicious One" was running a sex-slave trade, which will into Shofercia's sphere of influence. Although all soft on the outside, the Shofercians knew how to fight. Their commander cadre, drawn from the special forces, was second to none. Wipe out a corrupt dictator, end the sex-slave trade, provide experience to the younger SSF units - it made sense to the Shofercians, to order a unified counterattack against the "Vicious One". It was during the counterattack that Shawnda's village was hit by "thugs of the Vicious One".

"Let them attack-"
"Sir, they'll wound the villagers"
"And they'll wound even more if we don't let the initial wave pass."
"Yes Sir!"
"Remain in your positions!"

Shawnda just ran. She didn't see the guns pointed at her from the bushes. Thugs of the "Vicious One" opened fire, behind Shawnda.

"Blin Sergei, cover me, I refuse to watch a child die!"
"Alright, I know the commander would've done the same-"
"FIRE!"
"Always on time Larry" Sergei replied. Just as Shawnda was running past the bushes where Sergei, Larry and Vova were hiding, Larry jumped on top of her, knocked her down, and rolled to safety, protecting Shawnda with his body, as Sergei and Vova provided the covering fire.
"Looks like you turned a new page in her life's book, Larry" chuckled Vova.
"Shut up and fire" commanded Sergei.
Thugs of the "Vicious One" just got introduced to holes in key areas of their bodies.

Shawnda was stunned. She saw men, with guns, in uniform, protecting her! This was new.
"Who are you?"
"Shofercians" they replied.
"Shofercia" she thought. Shawnda liked the name.

"You're not here to kill me?" she asked.
"Nah, we don't kill unarmed kids, nor do we rape them. We protect them. We're Shofercians. But can you please stay here and be quiet? We have some unfinished business."
Shawnda hid in the reliable bushes.

Meanwhile the Shofercians routed the thugs in the village. "In the name of King Ilya Murometz, I claim this village as temporary property of the Constitutional Monarchy of Shofercia, until the village elders can decide what they wish to do!" stated the commander. The villagers came out of their huts, clearly shaken.

Sergei, Larry and Vova ran to the reliable bushes.
"Are you ok?" Larry asked.
"Yes, thank you, so what happens now?"
"Well that's upto the village elder. Here, let me carry you home!"
On her way home, Shawnda heard the Shofercian National Anthem for the first time. It was beautiful!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrFKDXuQYh0

That was fifteen years ago. Today Shawnda put on her skates, and was warming up. The first round of the Roller Speed Skating Women’s 500 meter Sprint was coming up. This was her event. She grimaced as she saw her fellow teammater, Dahlia Hamalak, lose the race. She was up. She knew what to do. The start was the key. Shawnda pushed off with her hips, skillfully applying the force through her leg muscles to the blades of the skates. One-two, one-two, one-two, keeping the rhythm going. She could feel the warm breath of her opponents, behind her. She told herself not to speed up, to save the strength until the final 100 meters. Pacing was crucial. She glimpsed at the audience, looking for her coach's signal. She saw it, and off she went. VICTORY!

Nothing to cheer about, just yet. She needed to get ready for her next run. Watching her other two teammates lose, only added to Shawnda's resolve. It was her turn. Again she had a great start, kept the pace, and accelerated correctly. Again she won. VICTORY. And now she was in the semi-finals. Two victories away from a medal.

"Great job Shawnda, keep it up!" her coach told her. Shawnda nodded, concentrating on the moment. She looked up at the audience and saw a sign. Blin, Shawnda, you turned a new page! "Nice, they're here!" Shawnda thought. She dismissed the memories. It was time to focus on the competition. Only one memory slipped through:

"What can I do to repay you?" Shawnda asked the trio, as she boarded the ship bound for a safer island in Shofercia.
"Oh, just make our anthem played in front of a million people" the trio answered, half-jokingly. Shawnda had a new calling in life.

And she was off. No longer skating, Shawnda was flying. The Shofercians in the crowd were cheering. The trio were going crazy. "46.976 seconds!" stated the official. "Nice! First run under 47 seconds! World record!" Shawnda smiled sweetly, and waived to the trio. They saluted.

"What are you doing?!" stated her coach. "You're supposed to be saving the energy for this round! Hopefully you have enough left, give it your all girl!"

Shawnda nodded. She was running on pure adrenaline. The start, the one-two, one-two, one-two rhythm. She had it going. But Alia Baena was beating her, by a split second. One-hundred meters left. A new feeling kicking in. It was something that can be called "beyond adrenaline". Shawnda pushed off and dove past the finish line, beating Alia by a split second. The crowd went crazy as Shawnda struggled to keep her balance and fell. But didn't get hurt too badly, only scratches and bruises, well worth the gold medal. The trio came running down the steps.

"Molodetz!" stated the coach.

(Molodetz is a Russian word, that can mean "great job" but can also mean "you're a true warrior")

The trio and Shawnda embraced each other in hugs, as they led Shawnda to the first place ceremony!

The Shofercian National Anthem Played: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrFKDXuQYh0

"Hey Shawnda, wanna go watch Tug of War with us?"
"Coach, can I? Please?"
"Sure!"
"Yippee!" Shawnda felt like a kid again. Except this time, the memories were full of joy.

"Pull! Pull! Pull!" Shawnda tried to keep up with the trio in their chant. It was tough. Yet she managed. The Men's Team was in the finals, about to destroy Jasĭyun. "Pull! Pull! Davite rebyata blin, turn a new page!"

And the National Anthem of Shofercia played again: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrFKDXuQYh0

"Shawnda, you made us proud" stated Larry.
"Yeah, well done. You gotta teach us those blading moves!" Vova added
"Sure, but you have to show me those moves that you used to save me, when I was a little girl!"
"It's a deal!" Sergei concluded, and the quartet embraced in a tearful, joyous hug, as the crowd cheered Team Shofercia all around them.

Anyways, I hope that this guide helped ya out newbie. If the vets want to give any advice on this, you're more than welcome to. This took me 30 mins to write, so please, treat it with respect, as my NSG posts average around the 3 minute mark.
Last edited by Shofercia on Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Come, learn about Russian Culture! Bring Vodka and Ushanka. Interested in Slavic Culture? Fill this out.
Stonk Power! (North) Kosovo is (a de facto part of) Serbia and Crimea is (a de facto part of) Russia
I used pronouns until the mods made using wrong pronouns warnable, so I use names instead; if you see malice there, that's entirely on you, and if pronouns are no longer warnable, I'll go back to using them

Anarchist States Of America
Ambassador

Founded: May 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Anarchist States Of America » Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:56 pm

So when do Teams get added?
Political Compass: Economic Left/Right: 4.62
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.92
DEFCON: [5] 4 3 2 1
Pro- Republicanism, Capitalism, Classical Liberalism, Libertarianism, Old Right Conservatism, Fusionism ,USA (most of the time), UK, UKIP (sometimes), GOP (sometimes), Libertarian Party, Individualism, God made Evolution, Pandeism,Deism

Anti- Totalitarianism, Communism, Socialism, Fascism/Corporatism, Collectivism, Modern Liberalism, Dems, GOP (sometimes), United Nations, European Union
Wonderlic Score: 28, as good as Peyton Manning

Darmen
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 16, 2011
Moralistic Democracy

Postby Darmen » Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:31 am

Anarchist States Of America wrote:So when do Teams get added?

When the sign-ups thread is posted, which won't be until a host is selected, so probably still a few weeks away.
The Republic of Darmen
President: Sebastian Elliott (NLP) | Capital: Scott City | Population: 10.6 mil | Demonym: Darmeni | Trigramme: DAR
Factbook (WIP) | Encylopedia | Domestic Sports Newswire
Champions: CoH 51, CR 13, GCF Test 9, GCF Test 13, WBC 25, QWC 7 Runners-up: CoH 53, CR 10, GCF Test 11, T20C 2, T20C 4, RLWC 10, WBC 42
Third: CR 20, T20C 10, RLWC 20, RLWC 22, R7WC 4, WBC 21, BC 6 Host: CR 9, RWC 18, RWC 26, RWC 35, RLWC 12, RLWC 18, RLWC 22, BC 6, BC 10, WVE 4

Buyan
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 13, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Buyan » Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:10 pm

Well, it would make Saugeais' bid a lot less impressive if there wasn't a challenger, right?
I wish the best of luck for Saugeais & Arçon, it's a very solid bid by a reliable user that certainly would deserve to host the Olympics.

IC-part of the Bid

“Members of the international press!”

The inaugural words of Konstanti Czerwonka already set the tone for the remainder of the presentation, as it was as obnoxious as unfair to name six Buyanese journalists, most of which clearly came to plunder the catering, and one Paradystopian who didn’t had much else to do after an interview with the national football manager, an international crowd. Nonetheless, Czerwonka carried on.

“I have the great honor to present to you a challenging bid for the upcoming Ninth Winter Olympics.”

While one of the press members had to be evacuated, choking on his free ham sandwich, the remaining ones became all ears over this proposal. Bringing the Olympics to Buyan seemed not only an impossible task, but also one that fell out of the financial scope of the nation. The mayor of Wladica, who lived up to his promise of a ‘major sports announcement’, didn’t seem to mind much. Leader for Life Kazys Portnii, to whom he thanked this steady job, had provided him with a carte blanche. That a new food restriction program had to be brought into life for it was only a detail. Without much ado, he led his small crowd of auditors through a Powerpoint presentation which featured the basic information, apart from a few ‘fwiewsh’-effects and a cartoon which the man himself found irresistibly funny.

The Olympics will come to… Buyan

Buyan is an archipelago with eleven islands spotted across a northern Esportivan sea. According to the most recent headcount, it has a population of around twenty-five million souls and although there are several microclimates, the weather can generally be described as chilly. For thirteen years now, this Empire has been ruled by Kazys Portnii, the Leader for Life. The gentle members of the press will note that the notepad handed out, which is decorated with the Olympic logo, also contains an obligatory ‘Hurrah Portnii!’ annotation on the bottom, as the central government supports these Olympics both with funds and manpower.

The sporting history of this magnificent nation is… Well, pretty humble to say so. Only catching on to the international scene during the last few seasons, they cannot bow yet upon an amalgam of titles and honors, although their title in the Baptism of Fire 54 might be worthy to mention.

The Olympics will come to… Serkau

Serkau is the second-biggest island of the nation and can pride itself over having two million inhabitants. Being located in the center of the archipelago, it has been, throughout history, a trading hub of the nation. No wonder that during the previous century the island became a focal point for the mining and oil industry. Nowadays, these industries seem to be in decline and this organization will aim to uplift the future of the technology of the future.

Since the reign of Leader for Life Portnii, already nine of the infamous Pulnov Labs have been opened on Serkau, three of which in Wladica. As each region has its very own specialization, Serkau became the focal point for material sciences and transportation innovations. No wonder it can bow on the best-developed train infrastructure in the archipelago, whilst being a leading factor in the world of Buyanese construction novelties.

The Olympics will come to… Wladica

With some 315.000 inhabitants, Wladica is the most populated and biggest city of the island of Serkau. The town has always been one of the more progressive cities in the nation and can pride itself upon a large sporting tradition. This is symbolized these days by first divisionist Wladica Rugby Club which houses the magnificent Dolin Arena, football club Gornik Wladica, basketball team Wladica Dunk and the swimming team from Wladica which contains EAF finalist Bartosz Knup.

Located in the shadow of the Bruczniwko Mountains in the east, the strip of peaks which cross the island from west to northeast, but near the Bay of Vulsza in the west, it combines the advantages of a coastal city with the ideal location for a massive winter sport event.

The Olympic facilities

*** Transport ***

As mentioned, Wladica is a national pioneer when it comes to transportation. The only less point upon the complete mapping is that there is no international airport as there wasn’t a large enough plain in the immediate surroundings. Therefore, the incoming athletes, officials and journalists will have to travel using the Hoyersko International Airport (HYO), which is located approximately a one hour drive away from the Olympic Village. For the time of the Olympics, a shuttle service will connect both locations and a lane of the I35 and I74 will be reserved for transport from and towards the airport. There is also a direct train connection, with a special stop near the Wladica Communal Oval.

Apart from the Raszkowski Curling Center, all facilities are located in the east of the town. This allowed the organization to make use of the extensive tram network in existence, which connected these parts of town with both the city center and the nearby mountains. If the bid would be excepted, the network will be expanded with three additional lines. One will connect Hrusha Mountain with the Olympic Village, a second one redirects the traffic from and to the three main stadiums and a third one connects the Village, the city center and the hotel area.

*** Staying in Wladica ***

In its current state, Wladica will struggle to house the umpteen sports enthusiasts and journalists which will follow in the trail of the athletes. Three measures have been taken up to deal with this problem. First of all, there is a reconversion program of the nearby coastal towns in the Bay of Vulsza to make place for a variety of guest houses. Secondly, Wladicans are encouraged to open their houses to create modest, cheap but warm guest rooms. They should be ideal for the less well-off Olympic visitor. Thirdly, it was decided to create the Hotel Area, build in cooperation with the National Infrastructure Organization. It should add no less than 18.000 beds to the town, of which 3.000 are already in use.

The coin used is the Mint and the prices can be considered as cheap by the outer world, knowing that five Mint is worth approximately two NS$. A beer will cost you 2 Mint, a proper meal will usually not cost you more than 15 Mint while your stay for the night could range between 45 Mint for a simple bed up until 150 Mint for dinner and a nice room.

*** Sports Venues ***

* Wladica Communal Oval: The linchpin of these Olympic Games, the Communal Oval will be expanded to allow seating for 28.000 people. It is located in the east of town, near the I74, it is handy to reach by tram and train and has the necessary parking facilities to cope with masses of supporters. It will be the background for the opening and closing ceremony, but will also stage the speed skating events and figure skating finals. A few ice hockey games will be contested there as well, namely the semi-finals and the finals.

* Black Hoof Rink: Black Hoof Rink is considered the best ice hockey field on the island as it is used by the Wladica Dragons, the only puckslingers in town. The current seating of 2.500 fans will be expanded with temporary stands for 25.000 supporters, who will be able to watch not only half of the hockey games but also the short track speed skating action.

* Ernst Pulnov Ice Park: Renamed after the previous national leader, the current track dating from some forty years ago will be updated and expanded to allow bobsleigh, luge and skeleton events on an Olympic level. Counting eighteen curves over 1.680 metres, it certainly lives up to the expectations. Most feared will be the four-curve labyrinth. It can be reached by shuttle bus from the end point of the Hrusha Tram Line.

* Hoyersko Arena: To aid the limited facilities for ice hockey, the Hoyersko Bulls lend their facility for some of the less important first-round games. It leaves room for some 4.000 supporters after the restructure works. It lies within one hour and a half of the Olympic Village, so be on time!

* Hrusha Mountain: The background of every Wladica postcard and the location for alpine skiing, with the sole exception of the slalom events. Already in the beginning of the previous century, skiing enthusiasts dared their limbs on the flanks of this majestic mountain. The only negative point might be that it is a bit too uphill and although the transport problems have been solved, it might tend to be snowy over there.

* Jakub Czernov Ramp Complex: A completely novel ski jumping park has been constructed for these Olympics and it can rightfully be named one of the pearls of our Olympic architecture. Named after a former mayor, the Czernov Complex –already dubbed The CC- can be considered the place for ski jumping and the Nordic combination with two brand-new hills. Located near the foot of Hrusha Mountain, it is also an easy rally point for all the ski sports.

* Pramurcz Range: In one of the uncountable valleys which can be found in the surroundings of Hrusha Mountain –thirty minutes travel- the location for the Olympic snowboarding has been resurrected. The location isn’t finished yet and some regret that it’s a bit far off from the other skiing spots, but the quality of the snow is first-class.

* Raczkowski Curling Center: The only facility in the western part of town, the Raczkowski Curling Center, named after a local resistance hero, will be a multisport center. Initially build by the town to encourage youth ice sports, it will serve as a secondary ice hockey rink as well as a curling palace. With 21.500 stands, it can stand proudly next to its two bigger brothers when it comes to the size of the stadiums.

* The Eagle Trail: Located a few miles north of The CC, this place will be the gathering point for all cross-country skiers, biathlon fanatics and the participants of the Nordic combined who survived their jump. It’s probably the location which will require the least work, as the looming forests from Hrusha Mountain always have housed plenty of room for cross-county skiers.

* The Valley: To the north of the Hrusha Mountain Facility, we find the final venue of these Olympics. Although some said it was a bit of a compromise spot, as the freestyle skiers wanted a place to call their own while the slalom fans disagreed with Hrusha Mountain, it can be seen as an excellent venue due to being known to bolster as less icy spots as possible.

*** Non-sporting Venues ***

* Olympic Village

As said, an Olympic Village will be erected near the I74, the artery of these Olympics. The design, in typical Serkan bungalow style, has been criticized for not being place-effective, but the result is a true, cozy village and not an apartment park. After the Olympics, it will be used as a military base.

* Media Center

After much deliberation, it was decided to place the Media Center along the I74, exactly in the middle between the Wladica Communal Oval and the Olympic Village. According to our technicians, they should be provide you with around-the-clock electricity and the military joined in the effort to ensure fax, internet and other wiresome or wireless connections.

* Supporters’ Home

To encourage the atmosphere, part of the city center –more exactly the strip between the Raczkowski Curling Center and the vast town square, with festivities on the latter- has been declared to become the Supporters’ Home. The idea behind it is to connect fans from across the world through a wide range of bigscreens, little souvenir shops and stands with liquor at low prices.

OOC-part of the Bid

Timing

The Olympics will take place with 21 event days, preferably between the 24th of January and the 22th of February 2014. This would ask for sign-ups to be opened immediately after New Year.
Cut-off will occur around 08:00 GMT, off days will probably be in weekends.
The order of events will be a slightly altered version of the Orean Olympics schedule.

Events

Below, one can find the list of events and amount of participants allowed spoilered. Before continuing, I would like to remark that the main idea was to make the step from the Vancouver list towards the Sotchi list, as these NS Olympics will run along the RL ones.
The result is a list of 104 medal events.

ALPINE SKIING (10 medal events)
Men’s Downhill (3)
Men’s Slalom (3)
Men’s Giant Slalom (3)
Men’s Super-G (3)
Men’s Super Combined (3)
Women’s Downhill (3)
Women’s Slalom (3)
Women’s Giant Slalom (3)
Women’s Super-G (3)
Women’s Super Combined (3)

BIATHLON (11 medal events)
Men’s 10 km Sprint (3)*
Men’s 15 km Mass Start (3)
Men’s 20 km Individual (3)
Men’s 4×7.5 km Relay (1 team of 4)
Women’s 7.5 km Sprint (3)*
Women’s 12.5 km Mass Start (3)
Women’s 15 km Individual (3)
Women’s 4×6 km Relay (1 team of 4)
Mixed 2×6 km + 2×7.5 km relay (1 team of 4)
*Pursuit events will also be held for the top 60 finishers in the sprint events.

BOBSLEIGH (4 medal events)
Two-Man (3 teams of 2)
Four-Man (2 teams of 4)
Two-Woman (3 teams of 2)
Four-Woman (2 teams of 4)

CROSS-COUNTRY SKIING (12 medal events)
Men’s 15 km Freestyle (2)
Men’s 30 km Pursuit (2)
Men’s 50 km Classical (2)
Men’s 4×10 km Relay (1 team of 4)
Men’s Individual Sprint (3)
Men’s Team Sprint (1 team of 2)
Women’s 10 km Freestyle (2)
Women’s 15 km Pursuit (2)
Women’s 30 km Classical (2)
Women’s 4×5 km Relay (1 team of 4)
Women’s Individual Sprint (3)
Women’s Team Sprint (1 team of 2)

CURLING (2 medal events)
Men’s (1 team)
Women’s (1 team)

FIGURE SKATING (5 medal events)
Men’s Individual (3)
Women’s Individual (3)
Pairs (2 teams of 2)
Ice Dancing (2 teams of 2)
Team Event (1 team)

FREESTYLE SKIING (10 medal events)
Men’s Aerials (3)
Men’s Halfpipe (3)
Men’s Moguls (3)
Men’s Ski Cross (3)
Men’s Slopestyle (3)
Women’s Aerials (3)
Women’s Halfpipe (3)
Women’s Moguls (3)
Women’s Ski Cross (3)
Women’s Slopestyle (3)

ICE HOCKEY (2 medal events)
Men’s (1 team)
Women’s (1 team)

LUGE (4 medal events)
Men’s Individual (3)
Women’s Individual (3)
Doubles (2 teams of 2)
Team Relay (1 team)

NORDIC COMBINED (6 medal events)
Men’s Individual Normal Hill/10 km (3)
Men’s Individual Large Hill/10 km (3)
Men’s Team Large Hill/4×5 km (1 team of 4)
Women’s Individual Normal Hill/10 km (3)
Women’s Individual Large Hill/10 km (3)
Women’s Team Large Hill/4×5 km (1 team of 4)

SHORT TRACK SPEED SKATING (8 medal events)
Men’s 500 m (3)
Men’s 1 000 m (3)
Men’s 1 500 km (3)
Men’s 5 000 m Relay (1 team of 4)
Women’s 500 m (3)
Women’s 1 000 m (3)
Women’s 1 500 m (3)
Women’s 3 000 m Relay (1 team of 4)

SKELETON (2 medal events)
Men’s (3)
Women’s (3)

SKI JUMPING (6 medal events)
Men’s Individual Normal Hill (3)
Men’s Individual Large Hill (3)
Men’s Team Large Hill (1 team of 4)
Women’s Individual Normal Hill (3)
Women’s Individual Large Hill (3)
Women’s Team Large Hill (1 team of 4)

SNOWBOARDING (10 medal events)
Men’s Halfpipe (3)
Men’s Slopestyle (3)
Men’s Parallel Slalom (3)
Men’s Parallel Giant Slalom (3)
Men’s Snowboard Cross (3)
Women’s Halfpipe (3)
Women’s Slopestyle (3)
Women’s Parallel Slalom (3)
Women’s Parallel Giant Slalom (3)
Women’s Snowboard Cross (3)

SPEED SKATING (12 medal events)
Men’s 500 m (3)
Men’s 1 000 m (3)
Men’s 1 500 m (3)
Men’s 5 000 m (2)
Men’s 10 000 m (2)
Women’s 500 m (3)
Women’s 1 000 m (3)
Women’s 1 500 m (3)
Women’s 3 000 m (2)
Women’s 5 000 m (2)

If one looks closer into this list, he will note the following extravaganzas.
* As in Orean, four-woman bobsleigh remains on the list.
* A gender-equality addition is the Women’s Nordic combined.
* In comparison with Orean, a few sign-up numbers have been altered, more exactly Nordic Combined and Ski Jumping. This in order to limit the delegation size, as the technical maximum has been raised to 249 due to the addition of events.

* In order to make the bridge towards the Sotchi event list, the following additions have been made:

Mixed relay             Biathlon
Slopestyle (m/f) Freestyle skiing
Halfpipe (m/f) Freestyle skiing
Slopestyle (m/f) Snowboard
Parallel Slalom (m/f) Snowboard
Team Relay Luge
Team Competition Figure Skating

* Three demonstration events will be allowed and scorinated by me, with a maximum of three events per sport. For demonstration events to be accepted, one has to provide a way of scorination and a reasoning why said sport should have a place at the Olympics. When accepted, sign-ups for those sports will be accepted. If more than three sports would be accepted, only those with the highest amount of sign-ups will be scorinated.

Scorination

The starting point of scorination will be the most up-to-date version of xkoronate at the time of the opening ceremony.

Associations

Each user may enter up to two separate associations (clearly labeled as being controlled by the same user). The cap for an association is 210 entries for a single association and 320 entries for a user. The small raise is motivated by the addition of events.
Towards unified teams, the policy of the previous Olympics will be continued. I’ll take the liberty to quote Liventia on this.

“Unified teams may consist of more than two associations, but will either (a) be treated as an entry of two associations with a maximum limit of 3[2]0 athlete entries; or (b) be treated as a single combined entry to which either the 2[1]0 athlete entry limit would apply but allowing for a further puppet/master entry. A maximum of 3[2]0 athlete entries and two signup entries per user, without exceptions.”

The average skill level is determined on 50, with a maximum skill of 100. Delegations that not abide to this rule, will not be entered (but will receive TG warning and a time slot to reiterate their skill levels).
Coming to the subject of min-maxing, these Olympics will follow the following guidelines. Outright min-max’ed entries (more than 30% 100’s) will be refused unless the delegation size is notably small. In other cases of min-maxing, the user will be asked for IC justification. However, we ask the entrants kindly to limit min-maxing.

Buyan?

Hi. My name is Buyan. You might know me from previous events such as the IUBC or, which I count as a more important experience for the Olympics as it shows a long-term commitment dealing with large scorinations, my cycling extravaganzas as Some Village, such as the two editions of the World Tour of Cycling and the Island Tour.
From Some Village
'Bu', like in 'book'. 'Yan' like the cyclist 'Jan Ullrich'.
RP Population: 22 million
Overenthusiast and slightly naive Republic ruled by Sil Moen
State of Economy: deplorable
Weather: cold
Atmosphere: less depressing than before, but only a bit

Gregoryisgodistan
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Gregoryisgodistan » Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:13 pm

How will you handle scorination for the new Sochi events if our Olympics are before the RL ones? The scorinators don't actually exist yet and won't until we have actual data.
IBS II Champions
Beach Cup IX Round of 16
BoI XIV Champion
IBS III Champions
WCoH 22 Round of 16
IBS IV host, champion
4th in WCoH 23
WBC 29 QF
HWC 12 hosts
WJHC VI 2nd place,
CoH 60 4th place
WCoH XXIV Champs
CoH 61 Runner-Up
IBS VI Champs
BOI XVI Host
IBS VII Champs
WCoH XXV 2nd Place
WBC 32 2nd Place
IBS VIII host and champs
WBC 33 Host/QF
WC 72 Qualifier
WBC 34 champs
CoH 67 Third place

Buyan
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Buyan » Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:31 pm

Gregoryisgodistan wrote:How will you handle scorination for the new Sochi events if our Olympics are before the RL ones? The scorinators don't actually exist yet and won't until we have actual data.

A very good question.

When one looks to the added events, they can be split in three 'types'.

* The team competitions. Those can be scorinated by adding up the individual scores the way they are calculated on the Sotchi Olympics (b.e. the mixed relay in the luge, will be the addition of a men's, womens and duo time)
* The snowboard and freestyle skiing events. Based upon the FIS results, there will be some fondling with the existing files for such events.
* Likewise in the female ski jumping.

I'll be honest with you, I'm still figuring out the details of the curving, but I'll get in touch with CH to ensure that the results will be correct in spirit.
From Some Village

Mytannion
Minister

Founded: Aug 07, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Mytannion » Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:56 pm

Two excellent bids and bidders, having competed in competitions run by both, I would have faith in either to run a good Olympics. I will also reiterate the fact that cycling is an immense thing to scorinate properly on NS Sport and so should not be taken lightly when looked at by voters.

Despite this, one question to Buyan/SV that I do have is quite simply do you think you're ready to host such a big thing and why so?

Good luck to both bids.
Last edited by Mytannion on Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Third Republic of Mytannion
Capital: Esca - Population: 43,500,000 - Demonym: Mytanar

Sporting Achievements:
Football: Copa Rushmori XVII, CoH 56 & 59 Champions. Qualified for WC 55, 58, 60, 61, 63, 66; Round of 16: WC 56, 57, 62, 65. Quarter Finals: WC 68.
Lacrosse: WLC IX & XVII Champions!

Liventia
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 04, 2008

Postby Liventia » Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:42 am

Whilst remaining officially neutral on both bids, I'd like to back one point:
Mytannion wrote:I will also reiterate the fact that cycling is an immense thing to scorinate properly on NS Sport and so should not be taken lightly when looked at by voters.

Having run a few cycling events of my own, Myt is 100% right when he says Buyan's efforts at running cycling events should not be ignored as just some minor effort.
Слава Україні!

Buyan
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Buyan » Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:47 am

Mytannion wrote:Two excellent bids and bidders, having competed in competitions run by both, I would have faith in either to run a good Olympics. I will also reiterate the fact that cycling is an immense thing to scorinate properly on NS Sport and so should not be taken lightly when looked at by voters.

Despite this, one question to Buyan/SV that I do have is quite simply do you think you're ready to host such a big thing and why so?

Good luck to both bids.

First of all, thanks for your and Liventia's kind words.

Well, the obvious answer is, 'if I didn't think I was ready, I wouldn't toss my hat in the ring'. But on a more serious note, yes. I haven't posted this bid -especially the OOC part- just in a moment of insanity, I've thoroughly thought this through since September. I indeed can not bow upon the wide range of experience Saugeais has, but I feel I've had the hang of the raw part of mass scorinating (getting timely cut-offs, inserting a lot of data, outputting and formatting it appropriately) with the WToC and have managed to ensure a prolonged effort in that event. I've carefully looked through the amount of work on this event, examinated the scorinator and I feel I have the spare time to ensure that it is run well, even if a hick-up would occur. But -and that might be a dealbraker for some- I only can assure that till the end of February. I know that some prefer a post-Sotchi NSOlympics, but at that time, I can not guarantee the kind of quality this event deserves.
From Some Village

Qazox
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 17, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Qazox » Tue Dec 24, 2013 7:41 am

Liventia wrote:Whilst remaining officially neutral on both bids, I'd like to back one point:
Mytannion wrote:I will also reiterate the fact that cycling is an immense thing to scorinate properly on NS Sport and so should not be taken lightly when looked at by voters.

Having run a few cycling events of my own, Myt is 100% right when he says Buyan's efforts at running cycling events should not be ignored as just some minor effort.

As someone who also has experience hosting cycling, I agree with Liventia on agreeing with Mytannion.
Wikipage/Qazox National Football Team
Qualified for World Cups 31, 33, 35-50, 54-59, 61, 62. Runners-up: CoH 52
Baptism of Fire 44 (w/Mangolana); World Baseball Classics 1, 4, 5, 10, 13 and 23; World Cup of Hockey 7 and 14; World Bowls IV & IX; IBC X; Baptism of Iron III and VIII; NSCAA Tourney II, III (conferences/regionals), The OXEN Cup; the TOUR de QAZOX, Qazoxian Sports Festival and NS X-Games/Winter X-Games I.
World Cups of Hockey 4 & 6; World Baseball Classics 6, 8 and 9, World Bowls 3 and XXI; Draggonnii Inviyatii V, IBC XI
xkcd 1110 (zoomable!)

Britonisea
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 29, 2012

Postby Britonisea » Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:38 am

Sorry, But is there a Winter Olympics and who is going to host of there is?

BTW, I AM NOT SIGNING UP. NOR ASKING TO HOST.
Rexubliqué Univexserellué de Brityunik #BRI
Follow Britonish Television on Twitter: TVBBritonisea
WorldVision Top 9 | WorldVision Factbook
1st - 162 points - WV112 (314 J+T)
1st - 154 points - WV81
1st - 139 points - WV47
1st - 138 points - WV99 (258 J+T)
1st - 134 points - WV87 (242 J+T)
1st - 132 points - WV73
1st - 117 points - WV64
1st - 113 points - WV41
1st - 98 points - WV63

World Hit Festival Top 9 | World Hit Festival Factbook
1st - 51 points - WHF50
1st - 42 points - WHF59
1st - 38 points - WHF52
1st - 34 points - WHF42
1st - 34 points - WHF48
1st - 33 points - WHF68
1st - 28 points - WHF46
1st - 28 points - WHF37
1st - 20 points - WHF26

Saugeais
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Saugeais » Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:40 am

Britonisea wrote:Sorry, But is there a Winter Olympics and who is going to host of there is?

BTW, I AM NOT SIGNING UP. NOR ASKING TO HOST.

Been one every year for the past eight years. Host vote hasn't happened yet.
Founder of the AIBC
Co-host, World Cup 65

Olympic Council
Secretary

Founded: Jan 10, 2010

Postby Olympic Council » Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:49 pm

Last edited by Olympic Council on Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NS Sports