NATION

PASSWORD

The Calm Before The Storm (IC)

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!
Waztaskio
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 09, 2013
Iron Fist Consumerists

The Calm Before The Storm (IC)

Postby Waztaskio » Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:20 pm

Last edited by Waztaskio on Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:41 am, edited 3 times in total.

Machtergreifung
Senator

Founded: Jul 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Machtergreifung » Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:09 am

St Petersburg, Russia
January 14th, 1900

Ivan Durnovo, Chairman of the Committee of Ministers, was not a man suited to his job. To preside over the great empire of the Tsar, to hold the paramount position at the head of the beauracracy of the largest European nation, with all the problems, conflicts and issues that came with it was not a task many men were capable off, but few were as ill-suited as Durnovo.

He had, however, the good fortune to have inherited his position from the man who had dragged Russia in to the modern era, Nikolay Bunge, who was responsible for the first great reforms in the Russian Empire, establishing factories, railroads, banks and turning Russia in to the image of a modern state. Durnovo was not such a reformist minded man, but he saw fit to continue the policy of his predecessor.

The one area in which Ivan Durnovo excelled, however, was in the palace intrigues that gripped the Russian Empire. Having spent all his life amongst the circle of the nobility, there was little he did not know. Most importantly, he maintained an excellent working reationship with the Tsar, who for all his virtues was uneducated for the role he found himself occupying.

The reform that Ivan Durnovo was overseeing was spearheaded by one man, Count Sergei Yulyevich Witte. Witte had driven through a great deal of reforms, and based on their success, Durnovo was content to let Witte handle such mundane details as the encouragement of industry and the switch of the Russian currency to the gold standard.

At his desk, Durnovo skimmed over at the latest proposal that came from Witte's office. He understood little of it, but Witte seemed convinced that it would further develop the industrial power of the Russian economy, and Durnovo had no reason to doubt that.

Report from the Special Conference on the Needs of the Rural Industry

The report, based on the data collected in November of last year, proposes the following reforms:

- The establishment of a state-sponsored loan system for the purchase of fallow land for agriculture or industry.
- The continued development of state-railroads to connect all parts of the Russian Empire by a rail network.
- Allocation of funds and materials to construct additional railroads in the Far East, to be carried out by units of the Imperial Russian Army in the region.
- The formation of a "Ministry for Agriculture" with a mandate to ensure the continued growth of Russian agricultural output, and the goal to establish an agronomist in every villiage in the Russian Empire.
- The removal of leagistic restrictions on entrepreneurial ventures, in line with the state's encouragement of loans for the development of land.

Signed,
Count Sergei Yulyevich Witte
Finance Minister of Imperial Russia

Without much thought, Durnovo scrawled his approval, before collecting his coat and papers and calling for the car that would carry him to the Winter Palace. He knew exactly what the Tsar would do, approve the recommendations without as much as a moments thought, before turning back to whatever activity was occupying his time.

Disregarding the pile of papers that represented the reports of mutiny in the army, dissent in the navy, revoultionary political activity in the countryside, the lawlessness of the Central Asian Steppes and the plight of the peasants, Ivan Durnovo swept out of his office for the grandeur of the Winter Palace.
Last edited by Machtergreifung on Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fralinia
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 21, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Fralinia » Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:05 pm

Having listened to several hours of debate over a new property tax, Émile Loubet, President of the Republic, closed the day's session of Parliament and walked through the halls of the Palais Bourbon to the doors, and then then the street. His car was waiting for him, and he politely asked the driver to take him to his house.

Once at home, he headed to his office. He had been asked to oversee the debate, as little progress had been made thus far, but listening to Frenchmen argue all day had exhausted him. He sat down at his small, neatly kept desk, alone in his bare and bleak office, and looked over a stack of papers his secretary had given him earlier that day. Pulling on a rope behind is desk, he summoned the butler.

A few moments later, a young man in a black vest walked into the room. "Sir, you called?"
Without looking up, Loubet responded. "Yes, I was going to ask if you could go fetch me a coffee from the kitchens? Two spoons of sugar, no milk, sil vous plait.

The butler bowed and left the room. Loubet looked to his papers. The first few were briefings from his staff.
Rebels in Chad inflict heavy casualties in recent battle, more troops...
Before he finished the header, he stopped. That seemed entirely too depressing to read before his coffee. He shuffled it to the back and read the next title.

Reports show Excellent Harvest, Excess Grain on Market
There. That wasn't too bad at all. Loubet read through the brief paper and make a quick note in his pocketbook to talk to Parliament about government grain purchases. He placed that paper in it's own stack on the side and moved onward.

Chinese expected to lease Guangzhou Bay to French Indochina, negotiations underway.
As he read through that rather lengthy article and considered the options, the butler came into the room, bowed, and placed the coffee on Loubet's desk. With a slight nod, the president waved off the butler. Back to Chad.

Picking up the other paper, the one about the Chad rebels, he read over that quickly. Same as usual. The Muslims had won another battle, taken another river, captured another officer. The endless war in the lower Nile Basin was not going well for France.

Loubet wrote up a quick plan in his pocketbook, to discuss with his High Command. He was reasonably certain it would be rejected, either by his generals or by his cabinet or Parliament or someone, but he had to do something. He was the president of France. Doing things was his job.

He put down all of the other papers and leaned back in his chair. 1900 was going to be a long year.
John Rawls wrote:Justice is the first virtue of social institutions, as truth is of systems of thought. A theory, however elegant and economical must be rejected or revised if it is untrue; likewise laws and institutions no matter how efficient and well-arranged must be reformed or abolished if they are unjust.

Che Guevera wrote: At a given moment it appears that there may have been a great commotion and a single great change. But that change has been gestating among men day by day, and sometimes generation by generation.
History buff, anti-imperialist. Small horse aficionado. Big fan of Paradox games and almost-state-champion debater.
I read the news.
This poster is a known communist sympathizer.

Waztaskio
Negotiator

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Waztaskio » Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:58 am

White House, Washington D.C, United States of America
January,20,1900
9:00 AM

William McKinley sat in the oval office, overlooking some documents on American Industry. It was a tiresome work under his presidency, with growing debates on how America's industrialization process should go, William was caught in the middle. His job was difficult, and he had really not much people to help him besides his personal secretary. The reports were put down, and he rubbed his head for a moment, until his secretary walked in.

"Sir, Congress is moving close to passing the Gold Standard Act of yours, it is getting positive reviews and we should hopefully see passage of it soon.". William had fought for this bill in Congress to be passed, and with the news you would think he would be excited, but his work was still to much. "Thank you Silvia, hows the Territories of Puerta Rico, Philippines, and Guam fareing?", he did not look up when he said those words. Silvia, having worked with the president for a while knew he got like this when he was in deep stress, so it did not hurt her feelings. "They are well, we are still in the process of integration, but so far no real problems are breaking out. As for Cuba, you still need to take a stance on what to do with them.". Cuba was a matter of which William wanted to have not much part in, he stood for giving it Independence, and wanted to maintain their own affairs, with a American naval base just to keep watch.

"I will, and will always stand for the independence of Cuba, I just need to build American Naval bases there to keep watch over it. I do not wish to talk about Cuba much, as further problems are arising". Problems in China with the Boxer Rebellion really was pushing over the balance of the world. It wasn't much of a international incident, but it was still a cause for concern. William wanted to keep a friendly China that would cooperate with America, but did not want to get involved in with it militarily at the time. "Send a delegation to China, I want to witness the State of Affairs in the country, and figure out how friendly there going to be with us.". Silvia nodded to the president, China was a cause for concern, but she had her own views on the situation, but didn't allow them to be heard. "At once sir, I shall leave you to your work", was her last words before leaving the room.

William then began thinking about how his Country could be run most efficiently. The system of Bureaucracy that was established only covered so much. He had a United States Congress, Department of Agriculture, Department of Justice, Department of Interior, Department of State, and Department of Treasury. These Departments really helped alot, but they lacked in various aspects that was left to the President to send bills to Congress to do the others not covered. William then began to think about more ways that could ease the tension, but the thought was cut short when he needed to think about the Delegation he was sending to China. He worked his way to the Telephone, calling the Secretary of State John M. Hay's.

The Phone rang on the lines after the operator connected him, and soon a answer from Hay's. "Hello?" said John, and the president responded, "Hello Hays, this is President McKinley. Listen, I really have some important matters to discuss with you. Mind meeting me at the White House later today?". Hay's responded in a bit more enthusiastic tone of voice, "Sure, i'll be around in a couple of hours. What is it about?". McKinley sighed, then gave a lazy response "China". And soon the phone call was ended.

White House, Washington D.C, United States of America
January,20,1900
1:00 PM

Hays had just arrived at the White House, were he was greeted by the President himself. They worked there way up to the Oval Office, and sat down to have their important Discussion, McKinley opened first, "My Hays, I'm glad you could make it. We have some real serious matters to discuss regarding China. The ongoing revolts in the region are destabilizing the government, making it more and more difficult to trust them. If the Government decides to listen to the rebels, they could go back to Isolationist ways and we would end up moving Americans out of China. Now, at the moment we have no confirmation on what the government will do, but I am authorizing a delegation to be sent there to negotiate agreements between our fine nations.". Hays nodded in approval, but then thought to himself for a moment on how bad these talks could go.

"Mr President, I do agree that we must find a stance on China. A question I do want answered is, what if the Chinese Government sides with the rebels, and refuses to speak with our delegation? This could mean Americans could be trapped in China, as with no communication we wouldn't be able to pull our people out without making it seem like a act of war. I believe, the delegation should not be only headed there with Ambassadors, I would personally like to request a officer of the Marine or Army Corp to be sent to make the Chinese Government know that we do not wish to fight, but we are prepared to resort to it if our people are harmed.".

McKinley pondered that, he knew it would probably be necessary, but it can be interpreted as something negative. "I do appreciate the suggestion, and believe me if the situation was not like it is now, I would authorize that, but at the moment the United States cannot afford to make people in China more agitated at foreigners by sending a Military man there. We need to be as peaceful as we can. Also, I want this Delegation to make a trip to Russia, and Britain's colony in India. I want assurance that we can have support if all things go wrong.". Hays agreed, and then gave his goodbyes to the President, before leaving on his mission to assemble the group. "Oh and Hays, I would like the Delegation to be ready by February 10th to leave for China!", Hays waved back to signal he heard, and soon disappeared into the streets.

Congress, Washington D.C, United States of America
January,20,1900
3:00 PM

Congress was in the middle of a debate session for the Bill. It had been passed in the Senate, but still had doubts by the House. The Speaker of the House David B. Henderson, a Civil War vet, was assisting efforts on trying to get the Gold Standard Act bill passed, he along with McKinley were Republicans, and they both served which gave him respect. Most of the House agreed with the bill, but there was still some discontent between it. Senator Nidgel K. Bumpers was one of the main dissenters. "This bill, will be a disgrace to the currency of America. If we allow the Gold Standard Act to pass, we effectively make our country limited to it's ever-growing options, and prevent us from showing the true strength we all know this country has".

Not much of the room agreed with him, as most were siding with McKinley on this one, as it would bring limitations, but greater rewards in the long term. David spoke up, "The Bill is a great way to show even though America might be strong, and we may be limiting our own power, we show the world that the USA isn't afraid to stand up to itself, and keep it in reasonable bounds to promote prosperity, and peace throughout the Globe. If this Bill doesn't pass, it will lead us into Inflation rates high above what we've seen, and bring just the thing our Founders sought to prevent. We will commence voting after about a month or two, and we will decide this matter there.". And for the day, Nidgel had to drop his argument.
Last edited by Waztaskio on Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Elderowa
Senator

Founded: Nov 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Elderowa » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:07 am

In Tokyo, Japan:

Emperor Mutsuhito sat as the Genro, the powerful Oligarchy of Japan composed of Generals and Economic advisors, discussed the future of Japan. Having recently won the Sino-Japanese war, Korea had become a protectorate of Japan. The Genro planned on turning Korea into a new Japanese state, which Mutsuhito agreed, on the condition that it would get the same economic prosparity that Japan was striving towards. To accomplish this and Japanese control of Korea, Mutsuhito suggested that Business Leaders should set up new business centers and encourage both Japanese emmigration to Korea and Korean entrepenuership. A few Generals of the Genro wanted to surpress and "purge" the Koreans living there, but Mutsuhito refused such an idea. "That is a sick, disastrous idea that will only breed hatred for us not only by the Koreans, but with Western powers." Said Mutsuhito. "Only Barbarians would consider such an idea appeasable, and we are not barbarians. We must work towards the Koreans favoring our rule, not hating us." The Genro accepted Mutsuhito's plan.

The next issue Emperor Mutsuhito and the Genro discussed was the Boxer Rebellion. Recently, Chinese Rebels had been going through the country, attacking foreigners and their positions, and mercilessly Killing Christians. The Boxers even attacked Formosa a few times, but with no success thanks to the fact that its an island. The Genro not only saw this as an attack on their nation, but also as a way of gaining influence in China. The Genro believes that since the Boxers attacked their country, they have the right to invade Southern China and claim more territory in the name of Japan. These newly acquired lands will provide food and greater Economic Power to Japan. Mutsuhito, however, is not sure that invading China solo is a wise idea. "Although I don't believe any Western power supports the Rebels, us invading it on our own might be seen as an act of aggression," Mutsuhito said with Concern. "Perhaps we should wait to see what other nations with Interest in China do before we attack." The Genro, while dissapointed, understands their emperors concern, and accept his plan to wait and see. However, Mutsuhito does give the command to prepare the army.
Last edited by Elderowa on Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mifan
Minister

Founded: Nov 05, 2013
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Mifan » Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:17 am

Rome, Italy
Victor Emmanuel III, has been in power for a while now. He have seen Italy going through a tough period of time. The nation was still too poor to even handle it's own internal issues. Emigration was at an all time high and the population was too poor to care for themselves. The northern part of the county is the only place that has been prospering lately, but the south was a whole different story. Poverty stricken and it still hasn't learnt the new agricultural techniques like the rest of Europe did. And on top of that tensions in Europe was at an all time high.

Italy has been in the Triple Alliance ever since the 1800s. The only problem with that was Italy was allied to the country that it hated the most, Austria-Hungary. The king pondered the question on if Italy should withdraw itself from the alliance. Not a lot of benefits came to Italy other than high tensions and if a breaking point is encountered then Italy could be dragged into a war.

No we can't just leave the alliance like that. If we did Germany and Austria-Hungary would surely try to force us to join again, probably by force. Then again if we stay in the alliance a war with France could be brought to our borders. The thought raged through his mind as he left the room. The king just wanted to fix Italy internal issues and then he will focus on the international stage more.
Last edited by Mifan on Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Uh, they're called green hearts.

You racist.

Muldinith
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Muldinith » Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:39 am

The Ottoman Empire
Jan. 29th 1900

His Imperial Majesty Grand Sultan and Caliph Abdul Hamid II had ruled the Ottoman Empire since 1876. Now at the turn of the century, he was faced with a period of decline of his empire.

His Majesty sat at the head of a long wooden table. The Grand Vizier Halil Rifat Pasha sat to the right of him. They both studied documents of various nature. The two of them effectively ran the Ottoman Empire.

Though heavily modernised, the Ottoman Empire was a dying land. Abdulhamid had banished the Constitution of 1876, but now he felt it was the only thing that could slow if not halt the rising discontent. The centers of unhappiness were mainly the Ottoman held lands in Europe. Although previous Ottoman reforms had allowed universal representation etc., Abdulhamid had planned to create a General Assembly of the Balkan Territories, in which he and the Grand Vizier would hear their pleas.

He first had to reach out to the governors and other prominent statesmen, lawyers, businessmen and even students to attend the Assembly. He also sent a letter of his intentions to the Heads of States of Serbia, Bulgaria, and Greece.

The heavy industrialisation that was in progress was also favored by the Sultan. Following the guidance of British and French advisors, an Ottoman Stock Exchange had been previously established. On January 14th, the Minister of Finance Cihan Göker Küçük proposed a state run organisation that would centralise the country's early grain industry. Egypt and its Nile River resources were valuable to Ottoman grain. It would be responsible for requisitioning 70% of all grain production centers and putting them into state control. Then, government investments would maximize the production potential of each center. Lastly, jobs would be created as the civilian population would be called upon to run this project. Grain exports would also be cut to 30% contrast to the previous 60%. Sultan Abdulhamid read over these plans and approved the creation of the Egyptian Grain Company.

Abdulhamid was a dedicated reformer and his policies were thought to save the failing Ottoman Empire. Nevertheless, some still opposed the authoritarian government.
Last edited by Muldinith on Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Et tu, Brutus?"

Beware the Ides of March.

"Kill one man, and you are a murderer. Kill millions of men, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god."

Kratu
Senator

Founded: Dec 16, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kratu » Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:41 pm

Berlin, Germany

Wilhelm the second was listening to reports of the anarchy reining in China. Depending on who comes out of the anarchy alive and he would support them if China industrialized then they could become a powerful ally of the Kaiserreich.
Revolutionary Socialist

Imperium Nova
Minister

Founded: Sep 25, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Imperium Nova » Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:03 pm

5th of February, 1900
Stockholm, Stockholm Castle, The Audience Room
12:45

His Excellency Prime Minister Boström. He should be quite used to the title still, being the longest serving Prime Minister in Swedish history, in fact, 2 times as long as the second-longest serving one. However, the title had only existed for around 30 years, but still. And he was quite popular too, despite his lack of former education. And he did not come from a noble family either, considering his predecessor had been a baron. But that did not bother him, and if anyone else was bothered, he could always bring up his grandfather, the archbishop, and also his uncle, who had been a teacher of the king, then they would at least quiet down somewhat. And why care about what they said? He had the support of the people, well, the voters, and His Majesty, which he was now to meet.

The King had given him a large freedom in choosing his ministers, something that the earlier prime ministers had not enjoyed. But still, the King had the right to rule alone, and he knew that his term could come to an end at any time. However, that seemed unlikely. He was on good terms with His Majesty, for he respected him, and feared him. Their politics split on the precious issue on Norway. Whilst the King advocated on a more unified state, and equality and such, the Prime Minister did not see how Sweden could partner more with Norway, with their uncivilised system of universal male suffrage. This whole, democracy ideal, would serve them no good.

The Prime Minister picked up his pocket watch, 12:58, ticking onwards. Soon His Majesty would enter, and their discussion could begin, and it was a vital discussion too. One regarding the future military prospects of the United Kingdoms, and the regards of a military build-up. Prime Minister Boström saw no prospects in such a deal, an expanding of the military would come to the expense of the farmers, which he represented, and were a part of. Even though, being one of the more wealthier ones. But the King seemed intent on it, and they had long been heading on a collision course on this theme. The clock striked one o'clock, and the doors to the Royal Chambers were opened, and the King entered, in his regal, Admiral uniform, with all medals on.
"Your Royal Majesty." The Prime Minister said, and bowed down. Then after some time, the King responded.
"Prime Minister, You are most welcomed." He said, and the Prime Minister rose up. The Prime Minister sensed some hostility, this might be one of the last audiences.
Last edited by Imperium Nova on Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Machtergreifung
Senator

Founded: Jul 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Machtergreifung » Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:49 pm

St Petersburg, Russia
Febuary 12th, 1900

With the government of Imperial Russia, there was never a clear method for achiving any set goal. The quickest and most direct way as to appeal to the Tsar himself: to cut through the beauracracy and tradition that wrapped itself around the Russian monarch like protective armour. This method was also the hardest, as everyone in the court had their own agenda, and nothing was set in stone. A list of promotions for senior members of the civil service would suddenly have extra names on the bottom, names of well-connected, minor officals with no outstanding merit. The military districts in the wild Asian steppes and in the Far East would appeal for veteran officers, and find themselves with a gaggle of semi-trained cadets, sons of the Russian nobility.

The most effective way to progress in the court of the Romanov's was through conspiracy. Count Witte, always mindfull of the best interests of the Empire, had founded a small clique about him in the Imperial Russian court. Consisting mainly of the Grand Duke Alexander Mihailovich, a prominant Romanov in the Russian Navy and the Grand Duke Nicholas Nikolaevich, who held a imporant beauracratic role in the Russian Army. Witte had brought Grand Duke Alexei Alexandrovich, head of the Russian Navy in to the circle as well. What united them was a growing fear for the Russian position in the Far East.

The Minister of Finance carried some weight in the court, but combined with the presence of three of his own family, there was no doubt that the issue was serious, enabling Witte to elegantly sidestep the inefficent and delaying Durnovo. Late on a cold Febuary night, the four men sat in the Tsar's private study before the Tsar himself.

It was a meeting fraught with fustrations. The three Grand Dukes grew fustrated at the ignorance of the Tsar in matters that, to them, were as clear as day. The Army was in a poor state of dicipline and morale was Nicholas Nikolaevich's point. In his duties as Inspector General, he was constantly shocked at the number and frequency of revolts in the Army, and something had to be done. Alexei Alexandrovich and Alexander Mihailovich lectured at length about the poor state of the logistical train of the Russian Navy, the vital importance of the newly accquired base at Port Arthur and the weakness of the Russian Pacific Fleet.

In turn, the Tsar grew fustrated and only being informed once the situation had deteriorated badly. What hadn't he been told about the disloyalty of the Army? Why had nobody told him of the need to expand the dockyards in Port Arthur and send more ships to the Pacific Fleet?

It took all of Sergei Witte's diplomacy to bring the meeting to more productive level. The Tsar, despite his ingorance of the affairs of state, grasped the general idea of what his three family members and his Minister wanted of him. With the concerns in the Far East, both over the growing disorder in the Qing Empire as well as the aggressive stance of the Japanese, the Tsar understood that there was a threat to Russian interests. After Nicholas Nikolaevich had explained the critical nature of the Chinese railroads, Witte knew he had won over the Tsar.

He simply asked them, "What does it require to make this problem go away?"

The reply was three battleships, three crusiers, a dozen destroyers and an army of nintey thousand men.

The Tsar sighed. "You have my approval. I suppose you would like to command the army, Nicholas Nikolaevich? Then you may. If you can solve all my problems with such speed as this. If only you could solve the political discontent that ruins my country..."

Sergei Witte gave a small smile. "I may be able to help your Imperial Majesty in that respect, but I fear that would require another meeting, if your Imperial Majesty would be so kind?"

"Yes, Count Witte, but it must be one that does not make me as useless as it does my English cousins. Or my German ones, for that matter. Next month, some time, I intent to spend some time away from the dulldrum of government." As the four men bowed and left their autocrat, Witte's smile had grown larger.

Five days later, the gears of policy-making were in motion. The plans to move the horses, guns, food, water, arms and all the other supplies of war for eighty thousand men were being drawn up and ready to be executed by the end of the month. The ships to be sent to the Pacific had been detailed, the crews being battered in to a state of readiness and the prepartions made for a trip around half of the world that would make a significant impact on policy in the Far East.

OOC: I don't intend for any of these reinforcements to reach the Far East until four months or so. Despite the urgency, it's still Russia, and logistics even after the Russo-Japanese war were never exactly good...

Neros
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 22, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Neros » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:03 pm

When China awakes, the world will tremble.

February 7th, 1900
Beijing, China

"Hold the street!" A Chinese official said, dressed in average clothing for the time. He was clearly a civil servant for the Military, but a trait distinguished him from the others - first, his Han background, which would honestly be hard to determine if one was not East Asian, and second, his Queue, the hair style worn by Manchu officials and adopted nation-wide for all civil servants, was cut. He held the long braided piece of hair in his hand while he directed the small squad of soldiers - who themselves seemed like a randomly thrown together militia. Those who had guns knelt behind a few hastily thrown together sand bags, and beyond those gunmen, held some soldiers armed with just melee weapons - spears, swords, and the like.

This man was named Hui Fu Cheung, and he would prove to be loyal to his ideals. The Boxer Rebellion itself was not just a revolt of conservative Chinese groups against foreign imperialism, but a civil war. The Reformer, or Republicans, fought with esteemed fervor against the Boxer and the Qing Dynasty to promote a republic over the thousands of years of dynastic rule. The militiamen here were Reformers, and they could see the mob growing from the streets. This street in particular, named Yángguāng Lùjìng and translated into "Sunshine Path" gave a fantastic holding point from the rest of the city towards the Summer Palace - and by that stretch, the Foreign Legations. The crowd that formed at the end of the Sunshine Path began to march up the street - joined by men, women, and children alike from the streets that branched off. This was the Society of Righteous and Harmonious Fists, whose numbers were augmented with disgruntled citizens of Peking. A grotesque scene moved to the front of the crowd - a Boxer carrying the head of a foreign missionary on a spear. Their chanting was becoming clearer to the men assembled at the top street - "Defend China - Kill the Foreigner!" being a popular choice.

Hui Fu Cheung let out an audible sigh of relief as soldiers of the New Army began to fill the gaps in his defense. Frontline militia men were exchanged for trained soldiers - ones who actually had knowledge and understanding of firing western-style rifles and the like. The group of Boxers continued their march - as if they did not noticed nor care of the change in guard. Suddenly, their numbers meant nothing to the New Army soldiers. The calm, relaxed yet tense faces of the soldiers dressed in western uniforms were nothing short of a scare tactic on it's own, if the Boxers could see it from that distance that is. They merely saw the end of a rifle and a helmet, but they continued forward.

Without warning and without provocation, a single shot came from the defending point and tore into one of the Boxers, sending him into a crumbling, screaming heap of flesh on the ground. The Boxers ran, but rather than fleeing, they ran towards the defenders. Without an order or proper discipline, the New Army soldiers continued to fire as the Boxers came in waves. Some were equipped with domestically-made Remington repeating rifles, and were able to quickly bring down at least twelve Boxers before reloading. It was a massacre, and it was over within the hour. Pools of blood, screaming agony, and the mild late-winter day made the smell of gunpowder mix with the smell of death. The soldiers of the New Army advanced their position - effortlessly and horrifically killing those who were wounded on the street. They themselves took only light wounds from some Boxers who had guns they took from foreigners, or the Arsenals. The Boxer death toll was in the hundreds.

In nearly full-view of the Foreign Legations to top this all off, the Sunshine Path Massacre demonstrated the deteriorating situation in China.

February 8th, 1900
Approaching Dalian, China

The mass of people moved as a single unit along the road to Port Arthur. At the center was a metal cage - normally used for punishment in the Qing Court, but adapted with four pairs of wheels. Within the cage sat a woman dressed in the clothes of a commoner, but her face gave the true identity of the woman. Empress Dowager Cixi, who looked as if she had aged an entire life time on the run, sat poised on a wooden chair - massive shackles binding her hands and feet. Being a Chinese noblewoman, she had her feet bound and would have been unable to walk more than a few meters, so the chains seemed a bit much. She held her head high and proud as Dalian began to pass by them. The citizens of the port city emerged to see the Empress - who once ruled over all of China for nearly four decades. Most stood with a face that showed indifference, they wanted to simply live their lives and did not honestly care if they were still under Imperial authority or the Republic. Their biggest threat came from Russia and Japan, and the ongoing events of China only made them fear the foreigners even more.

The mass of people finally arrived at an elegant gate - a view of the harbor being seen a few miles beyond it. "Что это?" The guard said. The Chinese looked among themselves, none of them spoke Chinese. The guard repeated, in broken Mandarin. "What...is this?" His thick Russian accent bleeding and stumbling all over the words. He motioned to a boy on the street - one who had managed to learn bits of Russian and spoke Chinese as his mother tongue by hanging around Port Arthur and chatting with the guards.

"They are the Republicans." He said to the guard, who had managed to assemble a squad of other Russians from the port with all the commotion. A leader of the group emerged, directly speaking to the Russians on the port side of the fence, and the Chinese gathered around him. The small Chinese boy provided a translation for the Russians. "He says the Empress has been charged with numerous crimes against China and the Republic. He says that she has made China weak against the foreigners." He listened a little more. "I don't understand that word, or that one. Oh, he asked what she had to say on her behalf." The Empress spoke, softly but heard by all, surprisingly. The boy was cursed with a fit of laughter, before remembering he had to translate what was said. "She said that as Empress, she makes the laws, and she committed none." He paused for a bit, seeming confused glances from the Russians. "It doesn't translate well."

Activity began to pick up in the crowd, with the Republicans placing the caged Empress in front of a brick wall - in view of the Russians and the Chinese spectators. Begrudgingly, ten men stepped forward, armed with their Gewehr knock-offs and a deadpan for faces. The Russians spoke quietly to each other, while the boy sat, wide-eyed. "They are going to kill her." He said, the seriousness of his voice strange for a boy his age. The man who was once speaking to the entire crowd of Russians and Chinese turned solely to the Russians, and said in very broken Russian,

"Let the world tremble." In a swift motion he swung his hand downwards. The Empress sat idly, her face unchanging. The aged beauty met her violent death with such pose and elegance that it was almost tragic. Her body, slammed with ten rounds of bullets in the chest and single one taking out a piece of her head. She didn't even look the same as she once was, she seemed so, mortal now. The rulers of China were once thought of as the closest thing to the Heavens, but she died as any normal person would. A journalist was watching - and photographing the entire scene, from the Chinese presenting the Empress to the Russians, all the way to her execution. He even managed to snag a picture of her lifeless body. He would send these to his contacts in Japan, Australia, and America to get word out. He began to frantically telegram a message to his boss in Shanghai.

Code: Select all
START

Empress CIXI dead. FIRING Squad. Republicans. Port ARTHUR

STOP

Elderowa
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Elderowa » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:23 pm

Tokyo, Japan
February 13th

The Newspapers across Japan rang with the news from China: The Empress Cixi had been killed by Rebels. Their Nations ambassador to China had survived and was on his way back to Tokyo, but the news shook the Japanese. It especially shook Emperor Mutsuhito and the Genro. The Genro where infuriated: The Business Leaders where outraged that they might loose their few spheres of Influence to Rebels, and the Generals were outraged that China might become an Anarchic state that would threaten Japan.

"Gentlemen, Gentlemen," Mutsuhito said frantically, "I understand our concern. This is a serious crises. With Empress Cixi dead, we cannot know the Future of Japan anymore, or of our interest there."

"It is a complete outrage!" Said one of the Generals furiously. "This proves that China is descending into Chaos! We need to intervene, and we need to do so now!" The other members of the Genro shouted in agreement.

"We cannot risk going in there on our own!" Mutsuhito said with the firm voice of an Emperor. The generals cooled off a little. "I know the risk this poses on our glorious nation. I know the risk this poses on our Interests. But I refuse to send our people in there alone, without any assurance that we will not be villainised, without any assurance of Victory."

"Who cares what the other countries think?" Said one of the Economic Advisers. "They probably will do the exact same thing we do anyways. Declaring war now is the only rational thing to do."

"Did you forget when those Americans stormed our shores?" Said Mutsuhito with anger and passion in his voice. "How they humiliated us? How they made us realized how far back we had fallen? We have not reached their levels of power yet! If we are villainised because we invade China first, then we will loose. We will loose everything, all because of our Hubris. We must think logically. And we must take into account of our people. They only recently fought off the Koreans. Many of our people are war weary. While they might agree with an invasion of China, they will not support one we cause simply because an Empress died. We must await to see how the rest of the world reacts. This is my decree."

A number of the Genro were outraged by the "Pacifism" their leader was presenting, but since he was their Emperor, they had no choice but to accept his rule. But from this Confrontation, the Genro would start to secretly hate their Emperor.

Waztaskio
Negotiator

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Waztaskio » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:21 pm

State Department Building, Washington D.C, United States of America
February,14,1900
9:00 AM

John M. Hay's was sitting at his office, with his expedition enroute to China already, with the ship and the Delegates already onboard the ship "The USS Tohomas", which was a standard steam transport ship. The President, having thought more about John's suggestion was allowed to take twenty US Marine Corp's men, under the command of First Lieutenant Griswold Kingston who were also onboard for the journey. John had sent the ship off at around 6:00 AM, and John was sitting in his Office reading through some other reports from the region when his secretary Gina rushed in. "John, terrible news, the Empress of China has been executed!".

John was in a particularly good mood and did not want anyone to spoil it, but hearing those words was like a bullet going through his chest and into his skull paralyzing him in a trans state. He didn't respond for a full minute, then he looked up and noted the expression of his Assistant. "That is not all sir, a massacre has also taken place in the city of Beijing, reports of hundreds of Chinese people are dead from the Army, and from the looks of things it will get worse.". Hays then stared at Gena, not knowing at first what to say. The Delegation was already off for China and he could re-route it, but this is a mission of upmost importance to turn away. "Gena, I will be sending letters to Britain, France, Portugal, Japan, Russia, Italy, and Spain to try and gain support for us there. We are not the only ones this must be causing panic to."

Gena began on the typewriter, preparing to write down the telegrams for each of the delegates. Hays spoke softly, but firmly at how he wanted each letter to be worded.

Secretary of State John M. Hay's
United States Department of State

Official Letter

The United States Government would like to ask for your assistance in the conflict in China.

Dear Tsar Nicholas II,

The United States Government wishes to wish you good relations to the sovereignty of both our nations. Due to recent developments, it has been brought to our attention of the atrocities being committed in the Chinese state, which has involved the Execution of the Empress and a Massacre on the streets of Beijing, and has been harming churches, missionaries, and any foreigner who is seen in the land of China. The United States Government will not standby, for a rebellion like this to threaten the stability of the region, as it would directly put Russian Assets at risk, and that means more of a chance for armed conflict in the region, which we would love to avoid at all possible in China.

We would like to request the aid of the Russian Empire in our struggle against the so called "Boxer Rebellion", we are putting together a coalition that will stand against China if the rebellion is to succeed and harm any more of our missionaries, businesses, and citizens. We wish to promote strength, prosperity, and stability to the land of China then Anarchy. We would love to know that the Empire of Russia will back us in our efforts, and provide support if needed. We are organizing a meeting onboard a delegation enroute to China now on the ship "The USS Tohomas", if you accept the offer we will want you to send some delegates to the Port of Manilla on the Philippine Islands were you will meet the ship for the talks, "We await your reply.

Signed - Secretary of State John M. Hay's - Washington D.C

Official Letter

The United States Government would like to ask for your assistance in the conflict in China.

Dear French President Émile Loubet,

The United States Government wishes to wish you good relations to the sovereignty of both our nations. Due to recent developments, it has been brought to our attention of the atrocities being committed in the Chinese state, which has involved the Execution of the Empress and a Massacre on the streets of Beijing, and has been harming churches, missionaries, and any foreigner who is seen in the land of China. The United States Government will not standby, for a rebellion like this to threaten the stability of the region, as it would directly put the lands of Indochina which is your lands at risk, and that means more of a chance for armed conflict in the region, which we would love to avoid at all possible in China.

We would like to request the aid of the French Republic in our struggle against the so called "Boxer Rebellion", we are putting together a coalition that will stand against China if the rebellion is to succeed and harm any more of our missionaries, businesses, and citizens. We wish to promote strength, prosperity, and stability to the land of China then Anarchy. We would love to know that the Third French Republic will back us in our efforts, and provide support if needed. We are organizing a meeting onboard a delegation enroute to China now on the ship "The USS Tohomas", if you accept the offer we will want you to send some delegates to the Port of Manilla on the Philippine Islands were you will meet the ship for the talks, We await your reply.

Official Letter

Dear Japanese Emperor Mutsuhito,

The United States Government wishes to wish you good relations to the sovereignty of both our nations. Due to recent developments, it has been brought to our attention of the atrocities being committed in the Chinese state, which has involved the Execution of the Empress and a Massacre on the streets of Beijing, and has been harming churches, missionaries, and any foreigner who is seen in the land of China. The United States Government will not standby, for a rebellion like this to threaten the stability of the region, as it would directly put the lands of Manchuria and Korea which is your lands at risk, and that means more of a chance for armed conflict in the region, which we would love to avoid at all possible in China.

We would like to request the aid of the Empire of Japan in our struggle against the so called "Boxer Rebellion", we are putting together a coalition that will stand against China if the rebellion is to succeed and harm any more of our missionaries, businesses, and citizens. We wish to promote strength, prosperity, and stability to the land of China then Anarchy. We would love to know that the Empire of Japan will back us in our efforts, and provide support if needed. We are organizing a meeting onboard a delegation enroute to China now on the ship "The USS Tohomas", if you accept the offer we will want you to send some delegates to the Port of Manilla on the Philippine Islands were you will meet the ship for the talks, We await your reply.

Official Letter

Dear King Victor Emmanuel III,

The United States Government wishes to wish you good relations to the sovereignty of both our nations. Due to recent developments, it has been brought to our attention of the atrocities being committed in the Chinese state, which has involved the Execution of the Empress and a Massacre on the streets of Beijing, and has been harming churches, missionaries, and any foreigner who is seen in the land of China. The United States Government will not standby, for a rebellion like this to threaten the stability of the region, as you are the site of many holy sites, we regret to inform you that missionary churches are being burned and foreigners are being killed due to what they teach, this must not be allowed to continue and i trust the Kingdom of Italy will see we need to move towards ending this peacefully, then resorting to armed conflict.

We would like to request the aid of the Kingdom of Italy in our struggle against the so called "Boxer Rebellion", we are putting together a coalition that will stand against China if the rebellion is to succeed and harm any more of our missionaries, businesses, and citizens. We wish to promote strength, prosperity, and stability to the land of China then Anarchy. We would love to know that the Kingdom of Italy will back us in our efforts, and provide support if needed. We are organizing a meeting onboard a delegation enroute to China now on the ship "The USS Tohomas", if you accept the offer we will want you to send some delegates to the Port of Manilla on the Philippine Islands were you will meet the ship for the talks, We await your reply.

Official Letter

Dear King Alfonso XIII,

The United States Government wishes to wish you good relations to the sovereignty of both our nations. Due to recent developments, it has been brought to our attention of the atrocities being committed in the Chinese state, which has involved the Execution of the Empress and a Massacre on the streets of Beijing, and has been harming churches, missionaries, and any foreigner who is seen in the land of China. The United States Government will not standby, for a rebellion like this to threaten the stability of the region, we understand that the recent war between us brought humiliation and dissent between our two nations, but we must look past that and find a way forward then back. We are aware that Spain has a history of being very holy, and it pains us to inform you that this China problem is burning churches and killing missionaries and foreigners alike, which i'm sure you are not happy about. We ask that we may humbly put our differences aside, and work toward a common goal.

We would like to request the aid of the Kingdom of Spain in our struggle against the so called "Boxer Rebellion", we are putting together a coalition that will stand against China if the rebellion is to succeed and harm any more of our missionaries, businesses, and citizens. We wish to promote strength, prosperity, and stability to the land of China then Anarchy. We would love to know that the Kingdom of Spain will back us in our efforts, and provide support if needed. We are organizing a meeting onboard a delegation enroute to China now on the ship "The USS Tohomas", if you accept the offer we will want you to send some delegates to the Port of Manilla on the Philippine Islands were you will meet the ship for the talks, We await your reply.

Official Letter

Dear Portuguese King Carlos I,

The United States Government wishes to wish you good relations to the sovereignty of both our nations. Due to recent developments, it has been brought to our attention of the atrocities being committed in the Chinese state, which has involved the Execution of the Empress and a Massacre on the streets of Beijing, and has been harming churches, missionaries, and any foreigner who is seen in the land of China. The United States Government will not standby, for a rebellion like this to threaten the stability of the region, as it would directly put the lands of Macau which is your lands at risk, and that means more of a chance for armed conflict in the region, which we would love to avoid at all possible in China.

We would like to request the aid of the Kingdom of Portugal in our struggle against the so called "Boxer Rebellion", we are putting together a coalition that will stand against China if the rebellion is to succeed and harm any more of our missionaries, businesses, and citizens. We wish to promote strength, prosperity, and stability to the land of China then Anarchy. We would love to know that the Kingdom of Portugal will back us in our efforts, and provide support if needed. We are organizing a meeting onboard a delegation enroute to China now on the ship "The USS Tohomas", if you accept the offer we will want you to send some delegates to the Port of Manilla on the Philippine Islands were you will meet the ship for the talks, We await your reply.

Official Letter

Dear British Queen Victoria ,

The United States Government wishes to wish you good relations to the sovereignty of both our nations. Due to recent developments, it has been brought to our attention of the atrocities being committed in the Chinese state, which has involved the Execution of the Empress and a Massacre on the streets of Beijing, and has been harming churches, missionaries, and any foreigner who is seen in the land of China. The United States Government will not standby, for a rebellion like this to threaten the stability of the region, as it would directly put the lands of Hong Kong which is your lands at risk, and that means more of a chance for armed conflict in the region, which we would love to avoid at all possible in China.

We would like to request the aid of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland in our struggle against the so called "Boxer Rebellion", we are putting together a coalition that will stand against China if the rebellion is to succeed and harm any more of our missionaries, businesses, and citizens. We wish to promote strength, prosperity, and stability to the land of China then Anarchy. We would love to know that the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland will back us in our efforts, and provide support if needed. We are organizing a meeting onboard a delegation enroute to China now on the ship "The USS Tohomas", if you accept the offer we will want you to send some delegates to the Port of Manilla on the Philippine Islands were you will meet the ship for the talks, We await your reply.

With those finally finished, he ordered them to be sent off. He hoped he would get the support he desperately needed for this, but it was all up to them. He also ordered a telegram to be sent to the ship, telling them to reroute to Manilla.
Last edited by Waztaskio on Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zenoch
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 24, 2013
Ex-Nation

Zulu kingdom

Postby Zenoch » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:59 pm

King Dinuzulu paced the grounds outside his home, thinking about the future of his people. Not 40 years ago, they had lost a war to the Englishmen that cost them much of their rightful lands. The king knew his only options were to fight, or to slowly die. Of course, he knew he could not fight the British by himself. His army of 40,000, while fierce and courageous, lacked the superior technology of the White men.
A plan formed in Dinuzulu's mind.
"I will ally both the white men and my own people, and we can fight off the British!" He said to himself. He rembered hearing tales from some cow herders about different white men in the African lands to the north. The called themselves the Italians.
These men may help us. Dinzulu thought. They will give us guns and ammunition.

Dinzulu also wanted to gain favor with the other tribes around him. He sent a message to every tribe in the area of the Zulu kingdom.
To my fellow People
The white men have scourged our lands for many years. They brought nothing but death and war to our land. Their weapons were great, but our hearts are greater! If we ban together, unite as one people, we can free ourselves of the white man, and Africa will be as it once was!

Dinzulu also sent a party of 20 men north to see if they could find any Italy men. Dinzulu had sent them with a sealed letter.

Pratse
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 17, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Pratse » Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:31 am

The Spanish Empire & Colonies
February 15, 1900

A lot had happened over the last few years. Nearly every colony overseas had been lost to the heinous Americans after the conclusion of the ridiculous Spanish-American war. The liberals were increasingly annoying as they clamoured for Spain to become a Republic, as other powers in Europe had recently done, toppling the order that once was considered natural, an order that had ruled Europe since the dark ages. His majesty Alfonso XIII knew that his throne was in increasingly greater danger of being brought down, and he knew that meant his death.

Not much after their summoning, the Prime minister of the state appeared before the king in his royal office. Sir Francisco Silvela was a man new to the position, but not to politics. The king stood up, pulled his glasses out of his face, and looked sternly at Silvela, and moved his shaking hand forward and rested it against Silvela's shoulder.

"Listen" he began. "I want you to gather your ministers, and tell them they are all fired..."

"Su excelencia, you must be-"

"Listen" repeated the king. "They are almost as incompetent as the French. Dispatch them all. New" pause, "New ministers, we're going to need new ministers. Don't just get the first, or the richest. Get the - the citizens, the best of the citizens. Intelligent scholars, students, teachers," the king coughed repeatedly. He turned his back to the minister, pressed his knuckles against a table, and took a handkerchief in his hand. He motioned the minister to leave him. "Do as you are told!" cried the king before coughing once more. As Silvela departed the room, the Royal Physician walked inside, holding a hefty black box in his hand.
Last edited by Pratse on Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
[Insert signature here].

Fralinia
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 21, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Fralinia » Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:12 pm

FEBURARY 14th, 1900, PARIS, FRANCE
"And that, Monsieur Loubet, is why we need to send more troops into the Eastern Asian colonies. If the Boxers are allowed to continue their rebellion, there is a good chance that they may attempt to cleanse the once-Chinese areas in southern Asia, with disastrous results for our colonies, monsieur."
The chief of staff of French Forces, Comm. Brault, finished his presentation to the President over the situation in Asia. He then looked to President Loubet for the response.

After a short pause, Loubet nodded. "Yes, Commander, I think that is a good course of action. Present the order to me, and I'll authorize you to send... well, how many men are we talking here, Commander?"

Brault nodded and looked down at his notebook. "Monsieur President, we would be talking on the order of 6,000 troops. Most would be colonial troops out of Indochina itself, and then rest can either be from West Africa or France proper, depending on what you deem best. I recommend sending in standards from France, monsieur."

Loubet pondered the idea. "Perhaps the Legion?"

"The Legion? I had not considered it. If you wish t, it's use can be authorized."

Loubet nodded and waved away Brault. "Just present me a paper to sign, and I'll authorize you to do what you want, Brault. You know better than I how to fight a war."

"Yes, monsieur. I'll draft up a plan tonight."

Brault left the President's office. Loubet leaned back in his chair. Talking to no one in particular, he began muttering about the times.

FEBURARY15TH, PARIS,FRANCE

Having signed the brief bill on his desk, Loubet smiled at his commander. "There, Brault, now do what needs to be done. Do you understand?"

The commander nodded and walked out of the room. Loubet's secretary walked in behind him.
"Monsieur, these just came in from Indochina. I've actually just got them off the wire. Here."

He read both quickly.

"The Chinese continue to degenerate their nation, the Americans are concerned enough to want to discuss an intervention, France is moving troops into Indochina, God only knows what the Japanese are thinking... the next great war will start on the shores of the Land of the Setting Sun, I suppose. I only hope it will not devolve into a grudge war between Europeans. Thank you, Mrs. Allaire. If you'll excuse me."

The secretary walked out. Loubet began writing his response.

Official French Republic communique
To The Office of the President of the United States of America

From The Offices of President Émile Loubet of the Third French Republic

To whom it may concern,
The French government has received communications that the United States would like to hold a conference with a French delegate on board the USS Thomas in the harbour of the port of Manilla. The President of France would like you to know that the current governor of French Indochina, Paul Anathase Dourner, has been contacted and is en route to serve as the representative of the Republic for this conference. We hope that much can be accomplished.

Signed,
Émile Loubet, President of the Third French Republic
John Rawls wrote:Justice is the first virtue of social institutions, as truth is of systems of thought. A theory, however elegant and economical must be rejected or revised if it is untrue; likewise laws and institutions no matter how efficient and well-arranged must be reformed or abolished if they are unjust.

Che Guevera wrote: At a given moment it appears that there may have been a great commotion and a single great change. But that change has been gestating among men day by day, and sometimes generation by generation.
History buff, anti-imperialist. Small horse aficionado. Big fan of Paradox games and almost-state-champion debater.
I read the news.
This poster is a known communist sympathizer.

Mifan
Minister

Founded: Nov 05, 2013
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Mifan » Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:59 pm

Rome, Italy Feburary 15, 1900
"I need a situation report on China right now!" The king was angry when he received the news of rebellion in China."China has so many resources that can help us and we aren't even trying to get involved! I need information on the situation!"
One of his advisors stepped forward to speak, but was too scared seeing the king's anger. He mustered up the courage to speak,"Your majesty, the rebels have killed the empress in China, and on top of that the army killed hundreds in the streets."
Turning to his adviser the king's eyes flared with anger. If these rebellions keep going who knows what will happen. He heard of a U.S. coalition forming against China and wondered how successful it would be. "How is the rest of the world reacting to the situation?" Another adviser stepped forward and responded to the king's question."The United States has begun to form a coalition against the Chinese. We don't know how many nations will join, but we received a telegram from the U.S. asking for our assistance." The adviser showed the king the telegram from the U.S. He asked for them to prepare a delegation to go to the Philippines to attend the talks. Once they left he began his reply to the U.S.
To, Offices of the United States Government,
We have received information that you are forming a coalition against China because of the so called "Boxer Rebellion". I would like to say that Italy would gladly join this coalition to help restore order in the area, and will send a delegation to the Port of Manila to discuss what actions are necessary to bring peace to the area.We hope this coalition will benefit us all.
Sincerely, Victor Emmanuel III, King of Italy
Uh, they're called green hearts.

You racist.

Pantorrum
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 15, 2013
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Pantorrum » Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:42 pm

Queen Victoria had grown old as Queen of England, but still ruled. Her Prime Minister kept the country, the worlds largest empire, in order.

Shortly after the turn of the 20th century, tensions were recorded in China which could affect British holdings in Hong Kong and India. In response, 10,000 troops moved to the border of Northern India and a fleet of 16 ships, mainly destroyers and 1 battle cruiser, moved up from Australia. The fleet would aid the Americans who were expected to form a coalition against the Boxr Rebellion, as it is called. A message was sent to the Americans.

Code: Select all
To: The United States

I, Queen Victoria, hope to aid you in an attack on the forces of the Boxer rebellion in not only the name of protecting our Asian holdings, but also in the name of Peace. We have worked in relative peace and hope to bring together our great nations in the name of international good will.

Your ally,
Queen Victoria
I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good, therefore, that I can do or any kindness I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it for I shall not pass this way again- Etienne de Grellet du Mabillier
_[' ]_
(-_Q)
If you support Capitalism put this in your Sig.

Zenoch
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 24, 2013
Ex-Nation

Zulu kingdom

Postby Zenoch » Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:11 pm

Responses had come from the surrounding tribes regarding the alliance against the British. The KaNgwane, Qwaqwa, and Ganzankulu tribes had accepted. Dinzulu was disappointed that the Botothatswana and Lebowa tribes had not responded. They were large tribes that would be great allies in a war. Dinzulu decided he would personally visit the tribes and try to convince them to ally.

Pungwe river, southeast Africa.
The Zulu messenger party had reached the river and decided to rest for a day. They had been living off the land instead of lugging around lots of supplies. The plan was to deliver the message to any Italians they found once they reached the Somali tribes.

Ardboe Eire
Minister

Founded: May 28, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Ardboe Eire » Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:11 pm

Lisbon,Portugal

Portugal had been one of the great powers of the world a few centuries before however now she was in decline.Losing the colony of Brazil in 1822 and the recent calls by many for a republic and overthrow of King Carlos I has greatly weakened Portugal's standing in world politics.
However it would be very tough for King Carlos to change the people's feelings about him.

To:United States of America
Encryption:Low

We are willing to join the United States in a coalition in preventing a conflict in China.We are also willing to allow Coalition forces access to our port of Macau.However our forces are seriously lacking arms.Especially side arms,artillery and machine guns.We would wish to access some of these weapons in return for joining this coalition.
Signed,
King Carlos I

Meanwhile after this a telegram was sent to Macau to get the troops mobilised there and to send a delegation of the governor of Macau and a few others to the Philippines.
RPs I'm participating in:

Die Wende:The change (Cold War RP)OOC/Signup:http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=235188&p=13832294#p13832294

World of 2013 RP(OOC/Sing-up page):http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=232224

East Vs. West (Cold War RP:OOC/Signups):http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=232162

Elderowa
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Elderowa » Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:59 pm

In Tokyo, Japan
February 17th, 1900:

The Japanese newspapers were filled with gruesome images from the Anarchy in neighboring China. From public executions to beheadings, to children missing limbs from the chaos, to all the pictures relating to Empress Cixi's execution, the Japanese people were outraged. A poll conducted only yesterday showed a majority of the Japanese, including Koreans and Formosans, now actively wanted their emperor to declare war.

Mutsuhito was indeed considering it. He had seen all the photos before the news printed them, and he was constantly recieving telegrams from China on how the country was tearing itself apart. He was also worried that this chaos might spread into his own nation. This, combined with a war hungry Genro, was making him think he'd have to go to war with China without international support.

That is when the Genro arrived at his office. "My Emperor!" One of them shouted.

Mutsuhito looked at them quizzically, without saying a word.

"We have recieved this telegram from America last night. They want us to send an Ambassador to their court to discuss this crises. We might finally get international support for this war."

"Wonderful!" Mutsuhito said with a smile, "We shall send an ambassador at once." Then he sighed and looked out the window. "But..." the Emperor continued, "I fear I have no choice but to do something about China now. I worry things are going to far there."

The Genro was pleased by this. In fact, one of the Generals stepped forward with a smile and a plan. "Sir, we came up with a plan that will not only increase the size of our nation, but will make us beloved by the other Powers."

"What is it?" Mutsuhito asked.

"Its a 2 step plan: Step one is to send 6 warships and 40,000 troops to Hainan, with our intent on conquering it. Step two will be a naval blockade. With our ownership of Formosa, Korea and Hainan, the Major powers will have a base of operations outside of China, with which we can easily strike China inwards while the Chinese cannot strike out. We call it, Monsoon Season."

Mutsuhito sighed. "Very well, I approve of operation Monsoon Season. Make sure the Russians and French know of our intentions as well. I don't want Europeans thinking we're about to attack them."

The Genro agreed, and immediately telegrams were sent:

To: The United States

We are pleased to hear that you want to solve the Chinese Crises. We accept your invitation, and shall be sending you one of our Top Delegates. However, you know that we are very close to China. While the delegation is considering what to do, we have had no choice but to Activate Operation Monsoon Season, in which we shall be blockading China. This is for our safety and the Safety of your merchants.

Signed,
Emperor Mutsuhito, of the Japanese Empire.

To: France

Because of Recent events in China, we have been forced to begin Oparation Monsoon Season, which is aimed to isolate China from attacking Foreigners and from spreading into our territory or other territories. Our military operations are not intended to harm you or your colonies. In fact, we want to defend your holdings both in China and in Indo-China. We hope you understand.

Signed,
Ambassador Gunpai Yikunomora, Japanese Ambassador to France.

To: Russia

Because of recent events in China, we have been forced to enact Operation Monsoon Season, which is aimed to isolatr China from attacking foreigners and from spreading into our territory or other territories. Our military operations are not intended on harming you or your country. In fact, we want to defend your holdings in Chinspa and your own country. We hope you understand.

Signed,
Ambassador Rishu Tamorai, Japanese Ambassador to Russia.

Within the hour, Shinji Takamori, a top advisor to the Emperor, was on his way to the Phillipines, and a few hours later, 6 war ships, filled with 40,000 troops, were headed to Hainan, ready to conquer it in the name of their Emperor and Empire.
Last edited by Elderowa on Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Neros
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 22, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Neros » Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:41 pm

"Do not impose on others what you yourself do not desire."
- Confucius

February 19th, 1900
The Tiananmen Gate
Beijing, China

Over a week had passed from the incident in Manchuria, and Sun Yat-sen had his time. To grieve, perhaps? Not quite, but there is a sort of stinging feeling deep in his chest. The last of imperial rule in all of China died at the hands of a Western terror machine, gruesome in it's operation and deadly in practice. The rifle, the backbone of the infantry, even his own, was such a barbaric way to die. He personally felt that the incident made those Republican soldiers no better than the Qing they fought against, or the Western Imperialists they intended to surpass. His hands were bloody, though he gave no order to have the last Empress' death, he knew the fault rested on the shoulders of the Republic. Without realizing it, he had noticed he made the way down the steps of the Forbidden City and stood at Tiananmen Square, an enormous crowd drawn before him. Foreigners and Chinese alike, even other minorities were present. Most were journalists for major news outlets, some were merely spectators or political emissaries, but they all had questions.

Sun Yat-sen, Interim President of the Republic of China, a government so far unrecognized abroad due to their uprising against the Qing Dynasty, rested his hands on the podium before him. His written speech sat there - accompanied only by a glass of water. The death of the Emperor before and the Empress recently has left the Republic as the sole government claiming authority over China, and he has to answer for it. He began, in a manner of deliverance and near-sorrow.

"We gather here to mourn. Mourn the loss of innocence, of what we've had, what we have lost, and what we will not have. If I am the first to inform you, I apologize, but that apology is nothing to what must come. At the gates of Port Arthur, on February 8th, 1900, Empress Dowager Cixi was violently executed at the hands of the Army of Southern Manchuria, a unit created by the Republic to operate deep in Manchu-dominated lands. In life, she was overflowing with the spirit of traditional China, and in death, held onto that honor. Witnesses say she met her end with dignity, and that is befitting for one of her status. The Army of Southern Manchuria was tasked with capturing the Empress, who had fled the capital when our forces took the Forbidden City just a few months ago, and once captured, transport her to Port Arthur or Korea to serve trial for the suspected assassination of The Guangxu Emperor, as well as charges of corruption in diverting funds to restore her personal residence. The trial was to feature a delegation of foreign ambassadors to ensure the proceeding was fair." His manner of speaking was unfaltering, and thus, Sun Yat-sen continued.

"Though we mourn her passing, we must realize what lies ahead for China. The forces remaining under Qing control are fighting without a sovereign, and the Society of Righteous and Harmonious Fists is enacting a campaign of terror across the North China plain. The Republic of China, under my direction and that of my Cabinet, will begin the process of repairing and rebuilding anew. In the face of adversity, the greatest nations will be tested, and if they are truly great, they shall pass. Many before us have failed, and there is no guarantee that this will work, but the only thing we cannot do is stand idly by. Inaction is the death of all governments, and we intend to continue moving forward. The people of China demand a voice in their government as well, leaving the idea of imperial rule in the very ground where the Empress now rests. The Republic is ready to take on the responsibility of extending rule over all of China."

"We cannot go forward looking back and dwelling on the past. Thus, the Mandate of Heaven has passed not to me, but to the people of Zhonghua. It is our time to rule and direct our own destiny. The Republic of China has issued the Declaration of Rights, which has outlined the rights granted to all citizens of this na-"

The speech was broken off by a sudden round of explosions, coming from the Zhengyangmen, the southern gate of Tiananmen Square. Just east was the Dōng Jiāo Mín Xiàng, or, the Legation Quarter. The gathered crowd had their attention directed to this development - it seems the Boxers were hungry for revenge not just against the Republic for the execution and massacre, but against the foreigners for their continued interference in affairs that did not belong to them. In a flurry of motion, soldiers descended the steps of the Tiananmen Gate to flank Sun Yat-sen, as he began to motion for the foreigners to enter the Forbidden City out of safety. The soldiers willingly escorted foreigners into this place where not so much as a Chinese commoner was to stand, but a final man of Chinese descent at the bottom of the steps. Sun gave a quick look back at the man, who drew a rather long knife from his waist-band.

He let out a cry, "For the Empress!" He declared, but only made it up five steps or so. Not only did Sun Yat-sen see the man, but his escort guards had as well. Two soldiers skillfully and mercilessly shot and killed the man, sending two shots into his chest and another taking out the man's face. He fell back in a pool of blood and brain, all motions, heartbeat and breathing, ended permanently. This too was in front of the foreign reporters, who continued to scribble in their notepads and take pictures. Sun Yat-sen allowed them use of telegrams to communicate with their superiors, but a more daunting situation was unfolding at the Legation Quarter.

February 19th, 1900
Legation Quarter
Beijing, China

"Hold the lin-"

The officer directing the soldiers of the New Army, dressed in a elegant western-style uniform, was suddenly silenced as a bullet flew through his lower jaw. His nice, polished uniform was splattered with blood as he collapsed into a heap of gurgling screams. His own soldiers grabbed him and pulled him towards the Legation Street, where he could be treated for the gaping face wound. His recovery, however, is slim. In his absence, a young Corporal rose to take command and bark orders.

"Keep your heads down!" He yelled, the sand bag he rested against exploding, a bullet lodging itself in it's innards. They was meant to aid against river floods, but they made excellent impromptu street defenses, and the Chinese were always employing irregular tactics. However, these Boxers were not like the ones at the Sunshine Path Massacre. The corporal could not simply open fire and send them running - because they were firing upon him. He peered over the bag, seeing the alleys of the small houses teaming with the ends of rifles. The corners gave the rebels enough coverage to hold the line - and an even worse possibility - advance quickly up the street. The Corporal finally lost it, throwing his gun on the sand bag and firing. A man at a corner let out a scream - slumping into the street for a brief moment. His comrades pulled the poor bastard back into the alley, he was still alive. The soldiers under fire began to employ similar tactics - finding their target and quickly attacking. However, not all had much success. They would turn up and jerk suddenly - dead on the spot.

The battle stood still as the fire fight raged - however, it seemed the New Army was outlasting the rebels, as many began to run down the street, in what the soldiers thought was a retreat. The Boxers were able to sneak into the city - and many were already in the city to begin with - so the fighting was a continuous experience. Run you cowards, fucking run. The Corporal thought, peering over the barrier. He narrowed his eyes, though, trying to see what was moving at the base of the street. It was turning the corner, pulled by oxen and horses unused to the streets, but it was an artillery cannon.

The Corporal's eyes grew wide, and thus he was not the first to call it out. He had stood there in shock that they rebels had such a piece of equipment when their own equipment was so scattered and few. Surely they had no ammunition, or even someone who could fire such a weapon. Another man, a private called out "Cannon!", with a subtle hint of fear in his voice. He sounded young, but gruff nonetheless. It was a brilliant flash that none of the soldiers would see or hear that ended their lives. In their place, a large crater and scattered limbs, the moans of wounded soldiers still living the brutal agony of just a single shot.

The Corporal heard none of the moans that would drive a man insane though - the blast deafened him, and took his lower legs. Half of what remained of his body was scorched as well, and he was many feet from where he once was. He grabbed his rifle - only to find it splintered and warped - beyond all repair or operation. He looked for his sidearm, but found it and the rest of his supplies blasted away form him. He turned to look down the street to see another horror, besides the one he had just witnessed. The Boxer rebels had stormed from their hiding spots and were coming, sprinting even, some with rifles and some with spears, swords and the like. A Boxer carrying a Guandao was the first to reach him. The boxer swung his weapon without so much as a thought - it's clink against the road a gruesome reminder that flesh and bone at one time was before it. The nameless corporal's head rolled away, blood pouring from what remained of his torso. More rebels filled in past him - intent on reaching the foreign legations.

Kratu
Senator

Founded: Dec 16, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kratu » Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:29 pm

Western Germany

Ludwig Beck and the rest of his unit were firing on the targets set up with their Mausers some of the older officers smiled at the accuracy of the rifle instead of the muzzle loaders that had been used when they were at their subordinates rank. They also watched on as they wheeled a Maxim Gun of and shoot up an entire line of beer bottles and blasted it to tiny shards. As the unit continued to train subordinates watched and said "When war comes they will be ready for it".
Last edited by Kratu on Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Revolutionary Socialist

Kolmya
Minister

Founded: Dec 17, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kolmya » Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:09 pm

Franz Joseph was sure that this would be a great age for Austria-Hungary.

Meanwhile...
At Imperial army headquarters...

Hans wrote on the forms that would require officers to be bilingual. Seperate units would be established for certain ethnicities. The bilingual officers would allow easier communications between units of different ethnicities.
Last edited by Kolmya on Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Galborea wrote:We are the Doomfags of Troubled Candlebride Reverence.

Kolmya
Minister

Founded: Dec 17, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kolmya » Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:47 pm

Becker was climbing. It was along way to the top. These were some of the elite. He was at mountain training school. They had full gear. Steyr. Back pack. And the rest of the mountain climbing tools. These were not the hills at basic training. These were the alps. He wanted to be a mountaineer. He craved it...
Galborea wrote:We are the Doomfags of Troubled Candlebride Reverence.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse