NATION

PASSWORD

Postapocalyptia S1E1: Tits Hills (IC, semi-closed)

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!
Ayreonia
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postapocalyptia S1E1: Tits Hills (IC, semi-closed)

Postby Ayreonia » Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:27 pm

OOC

(The screen is dark, a charismatic and old-sounding voice speaking)
( This song plays.)
Rigel Three. Such a boring, generic and nonromantic name for a planet. When the first human colonists arrived, the United Nations Space Exploration Committee (UNSEC) was quick to christen it as such: it orbited the star Rigel and was the third planet. No more naming planets after ancient gods or figures of mythology: the human world was secular and politically correct now. A loaded name such as "Jesus" or "Allah" would simply not do.

Of course, human nature is not so easily overridden by rules and protocols: upon seeing the desert landscape with ruins of an ancient and long-gone alien civilization jutting out, the colonists let their imagination run wild. The human mind pictured a once great culture, wiped out by... what? What indeed. Nobody knew, but the melancholy vista spoke volumes. This people had been destroyed by some cataclysmic event, an apocalypse of sort. And so, the colonists came up with a name, one that stuck and spread to new arrivals and the press.

They named it Postapocalyptia.

(Screen flashes to white, slowly sharpening into a picture of an endless desert. Wind blows, sand flies, the usual clichés. From now on, imagine drawn-looking stills of the described scenes.)

Arid and barren and consisting mostly of sand and rocks to the untrained eye, Postapocalyptia, or Postpoc, didn't really attract many settlers at first. Sure, there were the alien ruins, but those were hardly the first ones humanity had encountered, and who would really care about the skeletal remains of once great structures reaching into the sky? The answer is, obviously, archaeologists. So Postapocalytian society evolved into a collection of small townships where these explorers would find places to stay, along with fueling points and outposts where they could rest and recuperate during their journeys into the desert.

That is, before they discovered timonium.

Named after its finder, timonium was a wondrous substance. Sprinkle it onto the sand, and crops would grow even in the driest desert. Fill your vehicle with it, and it would behave like a more efficient version of Betelgeuzean biofuel. Drink it, and you die a horrible and painful death (yes, someone tried). Most importantly, burning it would generate exorbitant amounts of energy, at the cost of heavy pollution. And it was freaking everywhere. It looked like wherever you drilled, you could find some of the stuff. In fact, its many uses and spread across the entire planet made scientists speculate that timonium wasn't, in fact, a natural element, but a substance engineered by the now-extinct aliens of Postapocalyptia. And oh boy, did it start a 25th century version of the Gold Rush.

Several energy and agricultural companies immediately took notice and landed their people on Rigel-3, only to be massively disappointed. It turned out that the reports the settlers had sent back home had been greatly exaggerated. While timonium was extremely useful in an underdeveloped place like Postapocalyptia, there were practically zero uses for it anywhere else. Those days, most crops were grown in massive hydroponic complexes, there were much cleaner ways of generating similar amounts of power, and alcohol was still the substance of choice for people who wanted to drink themselves to death. Feeling cheated, the corporations gathered what little initial staff and equipment they had brought and left the planet.

Or would have, save for the fact that they couldn't.

You see, unbeknownst to most of its denizens, Postapocalyptia had also become a test site for a new orbital power plant. Situated at the Lagrange point between Rigel-3 and its moon, this plant would collect a mixture of solar rays, cosmic radiation and gravitic energy, then convert it into electricity by some combination of science and witchcraft (presumably). Since it was all very new and experimental, nobody really understood the math behind it, so of course it was a matter of time before something got royally fucked up. Namely, the plant blew up, creating a massive gravitational flux in the system that prevented any spaceship from entering or leaving the system, lest they be crushed like tin cans on the ocean floor. Somehow, the planet itself wasn't affected, probably because of its own big-ass gravity well, but the settlers were pretty much stranded.

And so, cut off and most likely forgotten by the rest of the world, the people of Postapocalyptia lived on. Law was in the hands of groups who had the most firepower, which initially meant the small armed security forces Gazprom and other corporations had brought with them. Gradually, these turned into something resembling a police force, but only in the larger settlements. In most parts of Postpoc, law was getting rewritten every day in the wake of the last gunfight as Vagabond bands fought hostile wildlife, bandits and each other in search of alien artifacts and riches.

Ah, yes, the Vagabonds. Such a curious occupation could have never arisen anywhere else. Part explorer, part archaeologist and part gunslinger, these reckless wanderers braved Rigel-three's deserts in search of... what? Varying greatly in temperament and motivation, often the only thing that separated these men and women from regular homeless people was that they had (or at least pretended to have) some sort of scientific interest in the alien ruins dotting the landscape. They were wild, unpredictable and often feared by "decent" folk, with tales of their exploits told at campfires and dingy bars all across the planet. Of course every Postapocalyptian child wanted to become one when they grew up. People kept their distance because of the respect--

"One hundred grand?! Are you shitting me, you sumbitch? You trying to rob a man blind or what? I should take your head and mount it up as a warning! For other thieves! And make your cock into a... a wunderbaum!"

Well, maybe not out of respect.

(Music chances)

A PORTAL TO THE MULTIVERSE PRODUCTION

AN AYREONIA ROLEPLAY

(Short clips of the characters doing their stuff, ending in a freeze frame with text)

Ayreonia as Hiram Dupont, the Driver

Cylarn as Russell Gellar, the Ex-Soldier

Mincaldenteans as Severine Fields, the Rogue

Esternial as Ezekiel Eins, the Schizo Chef

Ultramania as Thomas Wayne Jr., the Creepy Guy

Jessjohnesik as Anna Brand, the Hot Doctor, and her BFF Dahl

Bering as Michael Dave, the Scientist

Pan Asian Amercian Coalition as Elsha Johanshen, the Prodigy

Transoxthraxia as Furia Madog, the Psycho

...and Lucy as herself!

(shot to Lucy and the gang speeding through the desert, with some of the people sitting on the turret, passing a bottle between them, camera pans as the tank rides into the sunset. Just as the screen is about to go black, a burst of gunfire can be heard, followed by manic laughter)

POSTAPOCALYPTIA
Last edited by Ayreonia on Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Images likely to cause widespread offense, such as the swastika, are not permitted as national flags. Please see the One-Stop Rules Shop ("Acceptable Flag Policy").

Photoshopped birds flipping the bird not acceptable.

Ayreonia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Ayreonia » Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:22 pm

EPISODE 1: Tits Hills

Hiram realizes he's stuck with Lucy, for better or worse
A new band of Vagabonds forms
Bad shit happens

"Jesus, dude! Calm down."
"Calm down? Calm down? You're insulting my intelligence with this crap you're spewing."
"Do I look like a fucking millionaire to you? I don't have tons of money to spend on a tank. The fuck would I need a tank for anyway?"

Hiram Dupont cursed the stubbornness of the man in front of him. "Lots of things," he insisted. "You could, I don't know, shoot stuff with it. Drive it around. Sell it for scraps." He cringed at the thought. "Drive around and shoot stuff at the same time. The targeting computer's capable--"

"Exactly! I don't need to shoot stuff, driving or no! I'm a merchant, and Twixt Hills is too safe for me to invest in a tank." The other man sighed. "One hundred and twenty."
"One hundred and twenty what? Cos' all I can think of is one hundred and twenty 'fuck-you-Dupont's. She's worth millions!"
"I don't have millions, and neither does anybody else on this planet."
"Fuck you then, Harlaw. Fuck you."
"Fuck me for not having millions? Damn right. One hundred and forty or we're done here."
"We're done."

Hiram sighed as he watched the merchant depart. It was the same old song everywhere. 'I don't need such a weapon', 'I can't afford it', 'let me offer a ridiculously low price and watch you freak out'. Problem was, they were usually right. Postapocalyptia's economy being what it was (largely nonexistent), it was highly unlikely anybody would have the money to pay Lucy's worth.

As he started walking down the main street of Twixt Hills -- a small settlement lying in a pass between two tall hills, giving it its name, as well as its local nickname, Tits Hills -- Hiram reflected that some part of him didn't even want for him to succeed. He had been through thick and thin driving Lucy, and it would have broken his heart if someone bought it only to scrap it. And if anybody did, that was probably what they'd do. Finding a capable tank crew on Rigel Three was unlikely, as was finding a purpose you'd need such a vehicle for. It had been perfect for him, Toni and Jamie, before the two had deserted him, the sons of bitches. He wondered what had happened to the other ScanPower combat vehicles when the incident happened. Probably broken down somewhere in the Sands, or scrapped.

I can't sell Lucy, he mused as he walked, walking and drawing funny looks from the townspeople. The pass Twixt Hills lay in was somewhat of a border between Postpoc's "civilized parts" and the Deep Sands, so it was a popular resting spot for Vagabonds and other people heading out into the badlands. Still, people like him weren't an everyday sight, and "I saw a Vagabond today" was something folks told each other at the bar in the evening. Not for a sensible price anyway. But what can I do? She's no use to me alone.

Then it struck him. Twixt Hills. Frontier territory. He'd find a new band here. There should be plenty of people here who'd be capable of handling themselves. Even if they'd never seen an IFV like Lucy before, he could teach them the basics. A grin spread across his face. No more being stuck in this dump! He'd take the road again, explore the depths of this planet, and maybe even find something interesting or valuable. Maybe even something that'd help the researchers in Montecristo find a way to get off the planet.

Almost literally shivering with excitement, Hiram walked into Lou's Dump, a dingy bar/tavern where he was staying in an abominable but low-rent room. Taking out a pen and paper, he scrawled a note:
VAGABONDS WANTED!!!!!!!

Able-bodied people for expedition into the Deep Sands needed
Need to be able to work in a group

Looking for:

archea arg diggers
mechanic
fighters
cook (decent)
medic
hunter
etc

Necessary skills:

basic survival skill
not be an asshole

I offer equal division of loot & a kickass tank to drive around in

If interested, come to the Lou's Dump bar & ask for Dupont

He took the note, went back downstairs to the bar and handed the piece of paper to one of the urchins who were always hanging out at the place, even though Lou was adamant about not serving alcohol to underage people. Giving the kid a dollar, he said, "Take this note. Show it to your friends, make copies of it and spread it out 'round town. When I can see you've done the job, I'll give you five more bucks." The kid's eyes gleamed at the sight of the bill, and the promise of even more made him grin uncontrollably. He darted away at the blink of an eye. Hiram turned to the barkeep and owner.

"Lou! Gimme something to drink!"

Lou was a tremendously fat balding man whose clothes seemed to be perpetually dirty. Hiram didn't know if he ever washed them.

"Oh? You going to pay for it this time, Dupont?" he wheezed. Lou had a very thin, high voice for a man of his size.
"C'mon, Lou..."
Lou started pouring a beer. "You know the only reason why I tolerate your presence here is that you're good publicity. Everyone wants to come drink here just to see the Vagabond."
"Well, yeah! Hey, about my rent..."
Lou impaled Hiram with a murderous glance. "As I was saying. I'm letting the drinks slip, since this is my foulest stuff anyway-"
"Hey!"
"-but you really are the most niggardly person ever come in here. You're like-"
"Lou."
"-a walking stereotype-"
"I'm warning you, fatty."
"-of a motherfucking Jew."
Images likely to cause widespread offense, such as the swastika, are not permitted as national flags. Please see the One-Stop Rules Shop ("Acceptable Flag Policy").

Cylarn
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 25, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Cylarn » Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:44 pm

Ayreonia wrote:EPISODE 1: Tits Hills

Hiram realizes he's stuck with Lucy, for better or worse
A new band of Vagabonds forms
Bad shit happens

"Jesus, dude! Calm down."
"Calm down? Calm down? You're insulting my intelligence with this crap you're spewing."
"Do I look like a fucking millionaire to you? I don't have tons of money to spend on a tank. The fuck would I need a tank for anyway?"

Hiram Dupont cursed the stubbornness of the man in front of him. "Lots of things," he insisted. "You could, I don't know, shoot stuff with it. Drive it around. Sell it for scraps." He cringed at the thought. "Drive around and shoot stuff at the same time. The targeting computer's capable--"

"Exactly! I don't need to shoot stuff, driving or no! I'm a merchant, and Twixt Hills is too safe for me to invest in a tank." The other man sighed. "One hundred and twenty."
"One hundred and twenty what? Cos' all I can think of is one hundred and twenty 'fuck-you-Dupont's. She's worth millions!"
"I don't have millions, and neither does anybody else on this planet."
"Fuck you then, Harlaw. Fuck you."
"Fuck me for not having millions? Damn right. One hundred and forty or we're done here."
"We're done."

Hiram sighed as he watched the merchant depart. It was the same old song everywhere. 'I don't need such a weapon', 'I can't afford it', 'let me offer a ridiculously low price and watch you freak out'. Problem was, they were usually right. Postapocalyptia's economy being what it was (largely nonexistent), it was highly unlikely anybody would have the money to pay Lucy's worth.

As he started walking down the main street of Twixt Hills -- a small settlement lying in a pass between two tall hills, giving it its name, as well as its local nickname, Tits Hills -- Hiram reflected that some part of him didn't even want for him to succeed. He had been through thick and thin driving Lucy, and it would have broken his heart if someone bought it only to scrap it. And if anybody did, that was probably what they'd do. Finding a capable tank crew on Rigel Three was unlikely, as was finding a purpose you'd need such a vehicle for. It had been perfect for him, Toni and Jamie, before the two had deserted him, the sons of bitches. He wondered what had happened to the other ScanPower combat vehicles when the incident happened. Probably broken down somewhere in the Sands, or scrapped.

I can't sell Lucy, he mused as he walked, walking and drawing funny looks from the townspeople. The pass Twixt Hills lay in was somewhat of a border between Postpoc's "civilized parts" and the Deep Sands, so it was a popular resting spot for Vagabonds and other people heading out into the badlands. Still, people like him weren't an everyday sight, and "I saw a Vagabond today" was something folks told each other at the bar in the evening. Not for a sensible price anyway. But what can I do? She's no use to me alone.

Then it struck him. Twixt Hills. Frontier territory. He'd find a new band here. There should be plenty of people here who'd be capable of handling themselves. Even if they'd never seen an IFV like Lucy before, he could teach them the basics. A grin spread across his face. No more being stuck in this dump! He'd take the road again, explore the depths of this planet, and maybe even find something interesting or valuable. Maybe even something that'd help the researchers in Montecristo find a way to get off the planet.

Almost literally shivering with excitement, Hiram walked into Lou's Dump, a dingy bar/tavern where he was staying in an abominable but low-rent room. Taking out a pen and paper, he scrawled a note:
VAGABONDS WANTED!!!!!!!

Looking for:

archea arg diggers
mechanic
fighters
cook (decent)
medic
hunter
etc

Necessary skills:

basic survival skill
not be an asshole

He took the note, went back downstairs to the bar and handed the piece of paper to one of the urchins who were always hanging out at the place, even though Lou was adamant about not serving alcohol to underage people. Giving the kid a dollar, he said, "Take this note. Show it to your friends, make copies of it and spread it out 'round town. When I can see you've done the job, I'll give you five more bucks." The kid's eyes gleamed at the sight of the bill, and the promise of even more made him grin uncontrollably. He darted away at the blink of an eye. Hiram turned to the barkeep and owner.

"Lou! Gimme something to drink!"

Lou was a tremendously fat balding man whose clothes seemed to be perpetually dirty. Hiram didn't know if he ever washed them.

"Oh? You going to pay for it this time, Dupont?" he wheezed. Lou had a very thin, high voice for a man of his size.
"C'mon, Lou..."
Lou started pouring a beer. "You know the only reason why I tolerate your presence here is that you're good publicity. Everyone wants to come drink here just to see the Vagabond."
"Well, yeah! Hey, about my rent..."
Lou impaled Hiram with a murderous glance. "As I was saying. I'm letting the drinks slip, since this is my foulest stuff anyway-"
"Hey!"
"-but you really are the most niggardly person ever come in here. You're like-"
"Lou."
"-a walking stereotype-"
"I'm warning you, fatty."
"-of a motherfucking Jew."

"Tits Hill" was a perfect name for Twixt Hill, as while the settlement lacked in many normal amenities, it had some of the hottest dancers throughout Postapocalyptia. While most strippers in Postapocalyptia were ugly, fat, diseased whores, the ones in Twixt Hill's brothel were amazing - for such a barren, desolate place. "The Patrician" was the main strip club in Twixt Hill, and it attracted locals, Vagabonds, and Private Security grunts from all over with its cheap drinks and sexy women. In one of the private booths, one of the most feared mercenaries in Postapocalyptia was getting an interracial lapdance from two strippers, one of which was black and the other a Latina. A former UNSEC First Sergeant and Gazprom Officer, Russ Gellar was a high-priced veteran that was hired by the more affluent settlers of Postapocalyptia. As the two women rubbed themselves up against the mercenary, he would periodically take drags of a white grape blunt. With marijuana having been legalized throughout the world hundreds of years ago, it was a common substance that was steadily catching up to tobacco in popularity. Russ was a pothead, and although many people felt that it had a negative effect on one's skill, Russ disagreed, as he had carried out a majority of his operations while under the influence.

After 15 minutes had passed, Russ was back on the street, rolling up the sleeves on his old desert camo UNSEC jacket as he walked down the street. He had recently heard about an operation that - if successful - would merit big bucks, so he was now making his way to Lou's Dump Bar, to meet up with a guy named Dupont. He had heard mention of Dupont before; the guy was apparently an ex-Scanpower grunt who was known for his tank, or IFV. While Russ had mainly been a light infantry guy, he had spent the latter part of his UNSEC career and the majority of his Gazprom career in mechanized units, and he enjoyed his time riding on IFVs around the desert. Hopefully, this mission would involve plenty of riding.

Russ soon entered the bar, and took a puff on his blunt as he approached the bar counter and the bartender, making eye contact with him using his bloodshot eyes.

"Howdy," he said, speaking with his southern accent. "Where can I find Dupont?"
✎ Member - ℘ædagog
If you are serving the US and its allies right now overseas, thank you for what you do.
Recipient of the Best Crime RP'er Award and the Best Crime RP Award for 2013 in P2TM. Recipient of the Best Crime RP'er Award of 2014 in P2TM.

Esternial
Retired Moderator

Founded: May 09, 2009
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Esternial » Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:54 pm

Striding into town on foot, Zee drew even more attention than his apparel was already contributing for. Transport was essential around these parts, whether you hired someone or had your own, but Zee didn't need transport; his legs would never tire, and that wasn't some build up to some lone ranger-esque drivel, Zee's legs were harder than tempered steel and powered by a small, self-sustainable power source.

Gazing around through his goggles, Zee noticed the staring denizens.

"Ah, a welcoming party! You shouldn't have!" He shrieked in amusement, approaching a woman that was holding her child. Zee took the baby from her hands. "A strange idea for a gift, but now that my band of minions has met their demise I will need new recruits!"

The baby screamed, as did the woman, frantically pulling Zee's arm to no avail.

"He's a bit on the small side, though. Unfortunately I have no vacant spots for someone with his specifications." Zee said before handing back the baby, subduing the commotion that was drawing onlookers. Innocently he turned around and walked away, only to be grabbed firmly by his shoulder by a rather rowdy looking fella.

"I think you and I have a problem"

"I'm sorry. Take this tea as a sign of my solidarity"

Moments later the man lied squirming on the ground, hands covering his face that had just been doused in scalding hot tea. Zee shrugged and moved on, his path of destiny crossing with that of a young child, who passed on a scrap of paper with something scribbled on it. The handwriting was godawful, and he could only make out the destination and a few odd words.

"If this information is correct, I'm going to take a trip on a yacht!"

And thus Zee found his way to Lou's, after several detours. Walking in with a piece of cake and a severed left arm, he sat down and raised the arm to hail one of the servers.

"I'd like to fence this cake, and I'm looking for a man named Bi Pant"

"...or Oipant?" He muttered, pulling out the scrap of paper, which now featured a bloodstain.
Last edited by Esternial on Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mincaldenteans
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 17, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Mincaldenteans » Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:59 pm

Severine Fields

Severine had gotten up from her desk yawning at the immense sense ennui that usually descended upon her this time of day, which was everyday. One more hack job didn't do her a world of good, but her latest had given her a small amount to pay for rent, food, the utility (if the regularly scheduled outages counted), and even a tiny bit for herself. She smiled, thirty whole whopping credits extra for a new blend of tea that she had her eye on for two months and finally she'd be able to procure it. Granted 'Earl Grey' was not an exotic blend, but Severine had found it near impossible to obtain on this heap. People wanted booze, and while she wasn't adverse to alcohol, her preference for tea had made her look a bit odd to the rest. Still, she found it at the liquor store down the road and had literally worked free for three days just so the shopkeeper could keep it on hold for her until such time Severine had the money for it.

Pulling up her knee high boots, she checked the mirror to smooth out the wrinkles that took over from sitting behind a monitor all day before heading out and strolling down the road. All manner of forgotten life occupied this little shit hole of a town. Hookers, dealers, sycophantic yes man and the occasional sane type that was as rare as rain itself. That is to say, never, just everyone else. Still, it wasn't going to deter her mood and anticipation of sitting on a couch sipping a tea of Earl Grey and curling up to a dusty old book she'd been meaning to read.

"Look, mister, look I have something for you!" A girl with a missing tooth, ragged hair and dusty cheeks ran up to her shaking a note proudly in her tiny fist.

Severine frowned, "I'm not a mister, sweetie." Though she was a bit amused by the cute kid.

"Oh," the girl said dejected but beamed up, "Will you take it anyway?"

"Sure," Severine said with a sigh, after all, it's a kid, what could possibly go wrong.

The girl pulled her hand back, "Can I have a dollar?"

"Are you serious?"

"Please, I really want a candy bar and mama said..."

"Candy bar from there?" she gestured with her chin to the liquor store and the girl nodded excitedly. "How bout I buy you that candy bar and you give me that note?"

"Oh that'd be great mister!"

"I'm a not a mister."

"Well I dunno what else to call you, daddy calls my mom a b-"

"Don't even finish that," Severine interrupted and gestured for the kid to move on to the liquor store. She took a look around to make sure no one thought it suspicious or opportunity to exploit, yet like usual, no one gave a damn. She followed behind, the girl running into the store and Severine entered only moments after. She already head the grumpy old man behind the counter grousing at the girl.

"Leave the kid alone, old man, she's with me," Severine said by way of greeting, slapping down a twenty for the small bag of tea he'd been holding all these months. "And two candy bars for this peep squeak."

"Hey!" The girl whined but Severine just winked at her and the kid giggled, making grabby gestures with her free hand. Severine tossed one to her while the old man came back.

"Thirty, sweetheart."

"Thirty!? You said you'd sell it to me for twenty, that was the deal."

"The candy's five each."

"Christ, how the fuck do you stay open?" She grumbled, slapping the last bit of her extra money down.

"You people pay, how else?" The old man blinked at her, somehow confused by her statement. He slide the small box of earl grey tea to Severine who snatched it along with the other candy bar, signaling the kid to follow. The kid complied, face dotted with melted chocolate.

"The note, kid."

"Oh yeah, here," the kid said halfheartedly, attention locked on to the candy bar like it was Christmas. Severine smiled at the sight and gave the kid the other candy bar before shooing her away. She began walking back and unfurled the crumpled note to read its contents.

VAGABONDS WANTED!!!!!!!

Looking for:

archea arg diggers
mechanic
fighters
cook (decent)
medic
hunter
etc

Necessary skills:

basic survival skill
not be an asshole

Stopping in her tracks, Severine thought of the many things that could go wrong and the many things that could go right. The risk was high, but the reward could be higher and right about now she needed a pay off to one up her parents and get them all off this dirt ball. She wouldn't mind if they were kissing her feet and her ass while they left either. Looking up, Lou's was only a street walk away and Severine gave it a handful a moments to think about it before making her way across the street and into Lou's.

Pan Asian Amercian Coalition
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 01, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Pan Asian Amercian Coalition » Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:35 pm

Things were bleak. Elsha thought things would never get this bad, but much to her surprise, they had. It would be almost impossible to think of anyway the situation could possibly get worse.

She was bored.

She half sat and half lay in an old lawn chair, recently liberated from a nearby yard, with her feet propped up and an old wire spool. Her arms dangled lazily at her side, one holding a bottle of inexpensive root beer. She disinterestedly tried to have a drink of the sweet brown elixir, only to discover it was empty. She gave out a deep chested sigh and stood up and stretched. Her odd getup drew some eyes, with her coats' impetuously polished brass buttons gleaming in the sunlight. She pulled up her satchel and strolled in to the street, watching and waiting for any entertainment to present itself. Elsha was losing hope when an odd fellow in a black coat and gasmask began shrieking something about a welcoming party. She had found a new purpose: track this guy and try not to die from laughing. She was already giggling a little bit, and after he splashed a man with tea she was doubling over. By the time she recovered, the funny man left. Elsha simply forgot about him for a few minutes and began walking down the road, before coming upon a crumpled bit of paper on the ground.
VAGABONDS WANTED!!!!!!!

Looking for:

archea arg diggers
mechanic
fighters
cook (decent)
medic
hunter
etc

Necessary skills:

basic survival skill
not be an asshole

Elsha found the man's lack of spelling skills slightly amusing. However it contained just what she need: adventure! Elsha didn't need to run anywhere to grab her stuff, she pretty much lived out of her satchel. If she needed money, she would just borrow it from a local bank under a fake name. If she needed a place to sleep, she just took whatever was on the clothesline and slept under the stars. She learned to live light since before she came to Rigel 3, and it always nice to only have to move a few kilos of gear at a time. Elsha decided to practice her skills on the way there, and quickly climbed to the roof of a nearby building."Alright, don't touch the ground from here to there, and I'll buy myself another root beer" she said to no one in particular. She quickly began sprinting across the roofs, vaulting over low chimneys and jumping from one structure to another. She could get to anywhere in Twixt Hills like this in a few minutes and was much faster than taking the crowded streets.

She soon arrived at a dumpy bar, prominently marked with the word LOU in bright pink letters. She swiftly jumped down from the roof with a graceful landing in an alley, and quickly strode into the front door.After promptly taking a seat at the bar, she spoke to the greasy fat man behind the counter.
"Get me a root beer and DuPont." She spoke in a dismissive tone as she sat down and leaned on the bar with crossed arms.
Last edited by Pan Asian Amercian Coalition on Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Scientia viam libertatis "...................................................................................... ///I take my realism with cream and sugar///
MT/Near Future. Mechs, Railguns, Jet VTOLs, Etc.
Factbook under construction. Nat'l Anthem
Humanist Demi-Socialist Technocractic Militant Democracy. Quite a mouthfull, ain't it?
The End of Oil.------Tank otaku. Panzer is my passion!
XCOM Alphabet
Rupudska wrote:
Pan Asian Amercian Coalition wrote:Nice to see that this is back.

You are impressively slow.

Transoxthraxia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 19, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Transoxthraxia » Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:37 pm

Twixt Hills

Furia wasn't having a good day. On Postapocalyptia it was hard to have a truly good day, but she was having a worse day than normal. She'd been kicked out of at least three settlements by now; and two of them for medical malpractice. What a farce. "They had consented..." She muttered to herself weakly as she held her Kukri in her right hand, crumpled up sheet of paper in her left, her gear on her back as she wandered throughout the landscape surrounding the settlement of Twixt Hills. She had known of this settlement ever since she was a little girl. They called it Tits Hills, mostly due to the quality of the women there. Some quality, she thought to herself, putting one miserly boot in front of the other, trudging on to the settlement. Stomach grumbling, she suddenly remembered that she hadn't eaten in two days. Clutching it, in a vain attempt to make it stop cramping, she trudged onwards. Looking back on the piece of paper that she had, it had a list of names, and, at the top, in semi-legible writing, it read, "Kill List". She didn't want to go into it just yet.

Upon reaching the settlement's outer limits, she folded the piece of paper and stuffed it in the pocket of her shorts, and leaned up against a building. Surveying the area, she could tell that it was rife with little urchins, kids, teens, and adults with almost no money and surviving only on the goodwill of others. "Perfect to take food from..." Furia muttered, eyes squinting to see which of the urchins seemed to be the best off. As she did so, she realized that she had been leaning up against a pole that had a piece of paper attached to it. The paper read, from what she could tell:
VAGABONDS WANTED!!!!!!!

Looking for:

archea arg diggers
mechanic
fighters
cook (decent)
medic
hunter
etc

Necessary skills:

basic survival skill
not be an asshole

"M-Mm-Mek... Fuck that word, I guess. F-Fight-Fighters. Oh! That's me!" Furia exclaimed excitedly. She crumpled the paper into a ball, and stuffed it in the same pocket in which her kill list was in. Sheathing the Kukri it's sheath on her waist, she began walking around town, having completely forgotten about food, in search for Lou's Dump. It wasn't hard to find. A pretty denigrated place, but Furia had thrived in places as such. Entering Lou's Dump, she took out her piece of paper. Though she meant to pull out the piece of paper that had the information about the Vagabonds on it, she accidentally pulled out the kill list, and held it up to the light. The title and the first three names were visible to all onlookers of the newcomer to the bar. "Oops..." She said frustratedly, crumpling that paper up before taking out the other one. Reading it in detail, she looked up from the slip, and yelled. "Hey! Is there a D-" She looked back down to read the name off. "A Dupont? Is there a Dupont in here?" She repeated herself, walking a few steps, as onlookers watched her gear clank against itself.
Where must we go, we who wander this wasteland, in search for our better selves?
In Egypt's sandy silence, all alone,
Stands a gigantic Leg, which far off throws
The only shadow that the Desert knows:—
"I am great OZYMANDIAS," saith the stone,
"The King of Kings; this mighty City shows
"The wonders of my hand." The City's gone,
Nought but the Leg remaining to disclose
The site of this forgotten Babylon.

We wonder, and some Hunter may express
Wonder like ours, when thro' the wilderness
Where London stood, holding the Wolf in chace,
He meets some fragment huge, and stops to guess
What powerful but unrecorded race
Once dwelt in that annihilated place.
The Nuclear Fist wrote:Transoxthraxia confirmed for shit taste

Ayreonia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Ayreonia » Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:42 am

Hiram Dupont
Lou's Dump
11:32 Galactic Standard Time

OOC: Assume it's been a few days between my first post and the time you guys have converged to Lou's.

Hiram was brushing his teeth when the intercom buzzed. Muttering curses, he walked into his flat's "living room," foam running from the corner of his mouth. Lou's was one of the building in Twixt Hills that had intercoms. They were pretty handy when communicating with people in the some house, since phones didn't work this far from civilization. Even satellite phones were on the fritz since the gravitic flux destroyed most satellites in orbit.

"Yeah?" Hiram moaned as he picked up the 'com, his mouth full of foam and toothbrush.

"Dupes?" came the voice from the other end. It was Lou. "Is that you? You sound weird."

"Ish justh cosh... oh hold on, gimme a shec." He ran back to the bathroom, spat most of the foam out, then returned to the intercom. "Sorry. My mouth was full of stuff."

"I can imagine. Hey, look, there's a bunch of people downstairs, asking to see you."

Hiram snickered. "See? Told ya my presence would draw people in."

"No, I mean they're specifically asking for you. They've all got some piece of paper and they know your name. Well, except for the weird guy in the gas mask, he's looking for Bi Pants."

"Bi Pants? You sure he means me?"

"Positive. He's got the same flier as the rest, though the handwriting on that is slightly more atrocious than on the rest."

"Aight. Buy 'em drinks or something. I'll be down in five." The 'com went *click* as he disconnected just in time not to hear Lou's protest.

Hiram finished dressing before the cracked mirror in his bathroom. He put on the knee and elbow guards out of habit -- if you spend some time crawling inside a tank, you'll be thankful you have those. His t-shirt was wrinkled, but at least it was clean at the moment. He knitted his shemagh around his neck; it was looking like it would be a windy day, so something to protect your face with was good to have. The goggles he left on his forehead, partly to keep his hair from falling into his eyes, and partly because they looked bitchin'. Finally, he buckled his belt, with his revolver on the right hip and his Ka-bar on the left. Running a hand through his shaggy black hair, he gave the mirror his best grin. "Lookin' good, Hiram. Lookin' good."

He took the stairs down and walked to the bar, his eyes darting around looking for Lou. "Clear a table," he said, spotting the fat man, "and turn down the music for a sec."

Lou complied as a serving wench went to notify three men seated at a table near the bar that their place was now commandeered by a bunch of Vagabonds. They grumbled, but after taking a look at Hiram, decided not to object. Hiram stepped onto a chair and called out, "Those of you who are here about the Dupont gig, would you kindly gather here!"

Five people had turned up so far. Not bad. Three women, one man, and somebody whose clothes didn't give away their gender. They all looked like they could handle themselves okay, especially the man in UNSEC camos, although the younger girl's clothes were too clean for his liking.

"Hey guys," Hiram nodded at the five. "Glad you could come. Name's Dupont, Hiram Dupont. I don't mind you using the first name, but say it's a Jew name and I'll punch you in the throat. Have a seat," he gestured, sitting down on the chair on which he had been standing on.
"Now, I hope my man Lou's set you up with something to drink. But I bet y'all have a bunch of questions about this job and all, so go ahead and shoot." He pulled out a cigarette and put it in his mouth. "Anybody got a light?"

Esternial
Retired Moderator

Postby Esternial » Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:02 am

Zee remained seated, ignoring this Dupont fellow whom he had no business with. It took a few minutes, but finally a persistent voice inside his head convinced him there there was a high likelihood that this man was Sir Bi Pants.

He gracefully discarded the arm, accidentally bitch-slapping another patron, before he stood up and plotted his course towards the table and sat down, placing the cake in front of him. Responding to Dupont's earlier request for a light, he extended his MUG, which suddenly produced a jet flame, produced by some liquid that was extremely volatile and vaporized at room temperature. MUG could produce any liquid, after all.

"Don't be shy. She doesn't bite" Zee reassured Dupont whilst holding a mug in his hand that was spewing a huge flame.

"I heard you own a yacht. I'm very much interested in taking it for a joyride. Don't worry about water; where I'm going we don't need water!"
Last edited by Esternial on Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Transoxthraxia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Transoxthraxia » Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:16 am

Furia flipped open a lighter which she produced from a pouch on the bag on her back. It had clearly orginally been stainless steel, a beautifully hand-carved design on both sides of the lighter. It was a flip-top. She fipped it open, light it, and placed it directly under Dupont's mouth. "Don't breathe too deep; that's diesel that's burning." She said matter-of-factly. "Unless, of course, huffing gas is your thing. I don't judge." After stating this, she pulled a chair from the table and sat down, placing one booted foot on top of the other, on the table, her hands interlocked behind her head in a reclined, relaxed position, slinging her lighter back in her bag, snapping it shut in one fluid motion.

"Yeah, I have a question. I know we're vagabonds n' all, but, what're we after exactly? Do we have a set goal here? Or are we just the Brady Bunch meets Rigel Three? The name's Furia, by the way. Furia Madog."
Where must we go, we who wander this wasteland, in search for our better selves?

Cylarn
Postmaster-General

Postby Cylarn » Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:27 am

Ayreonia wrote:Hiram Dupont
Lou's Dump
11:32 Galactic Standard Time

OOC: Assume it's been a few days between my first post and the time you guys have converged to Lou's.

Hiram was brushing his teeth when the intercom buzzed. Muttering curses, he walked into his flat's "living room," foam running from the corner of his mouth. Lou's was one of the building in Twixt Hills that had intercoms. They were pretty handy when communicating with people in the some house, since phones didn't work this far from civilization. Even satellite phones were on the fritz since the gravitic flux destroyed most satellites in orbit.

"Yeah?" Hiram moaned as he picked up the 'com, his mouth full of foam and toothbrush.

"Dupes?" came the voice from the other end. It was Lou. "Is that you? You sound weird."

"Ish justh cosh... oh hold on, gimme a shec." He ran back to the bathroom, spat most of the foam out, then returned to the intercom. "Sorry. My mouth was full of stuff."

"I can imagine. Hey, look, there's a bunch of people downstairs, asking to see you."

Hiram snickered. "See? Told ya my presence would draw people in."

"No, I mean they're specifically asking for you. They've all got some piece of paper and they know your name. Well, except for the weird guy in the gas mask, he's looking for Bi Pants."

"Bi Pants? You sure he means me?"

"Positive. He's got the same flier as the rest, though the handwriting on that is slightly more atrocious than on the rest."

"Aight. Buy 'em drinks or something. I'll be down in five." The 'com went *click* as he disconnected just in time not to hear Lou's protest.

Hiram finished dressing before the cracked mirror in his bathroom. He put on the knee and elbow guards out of habit -- if you spend some time crawling inside a tank, you'll be thankful you have those. His t-shirt was wrinkled, but at least it was clean at the moment. He knitted his shemagh around his neck; it was looking like it would be a windy day, so something to protect your face with was good to have. The goggles he left on his forehead, partly to keep his hair from falling into his eyes, and partly because they looked bitchin'. Finally, he buckled his belt, with his revolver on the right hip and his Ka-bar on the left. Running a hand through his shaggy black hair, he gave the mirror his best grin. "Lookin' good, Hiram. Lookin' good."

He took the stairs down and walked to the bar, his eyes darting around looking for Lou. "Clear a table," he said, spotting the fat man, "and turn down the music for a sec."

Lou complied as a serving wench went to notify three men seated at a table near the bar that their place was now commandeered by a bunch of Vagabonds. They grumbled, but after taking a look at Hiram, decided not to object. Hiram stepped onto a chair and called out, "Those of you who are here about the Dupont gig, would you kindly gather here!"

Five people had turned up so far. Not bad. Three women, one man, and somebody whose clothes didn't give away their gender. They all looked like they could handle themselves okay, especially the man in UNSEC camos, although the younger girl's clothes were too clean for his liking.

"Hey guys," Hiram nodded at the five. "Glad you could come. Name's Dupont, Hiram Dupont. I don't mind you using the first name, but say it's a Jew name and I'll punch you in the throat. Have a seat," he gestured, sitting down on the chair on which he had been standing on.
"Now, I hope my man Lou's set you up with something to drink. But I bet y'all have a bunch of questions about this job and all, so go ahead and shoot." He pulled out a cigarette and put it in his mouth. "Anybody got a light?"

When he was called over by Dupont, Russ coughed as he was in the middle of of a big hit from his blunt. After taking a few seconds to regain control of himself, he walked over to the others and took a seat around the area. Lou would soon bring him some Earth-made whiskey, and Russ would take a sip as he listened to the others. A girl with weird hair asked what the mission was going to be, and some weird guy in weird armor asked another question about a "yacht", which Russ was quickly able to figure out that by "yacht", he meant the IFV. He patiently listened as the others talked, laughing at the strange man's question.
✎ Member - ℘ædagog
If you are serving the US and its allies right now overseas, thank you for what you do.
Recipient of the Best Crime RP'er Award and the Best Crime RP Award for 2013 in P2TM. Recipient of the Best Crime RP'er Award of 2014 in P2TM.

Mincaldenteans
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Mincaldenteans » Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:56 am

Severine perked eyebrows at the small group congregated at the meeting; interesting lot that had assembled. She remained silent though couldn't help but giggle at the thought of a yacht in the sands; on Postpoc, anything was possible. And Severine didn't have to ask the main questions as Furia had already done so. Though Severine herself was shy, she took an immediately liking to the girl and her candor. Girl power and all that, she snickered to herself in thought. She refrained from any drink, not particularly trusting Lou's beverages since... well, ever. There was nothing in this hole-in-the-wall that ever appealed to Severine and she realized this was actually the first time she was in the bar and not looking from the outside.
Last edited by Mincaldenteans on Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Pan Asian Amercian Coalition » Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:16 pm

Elsha was one of the last to take a seat at the table, as to took some effort to drag two chairs from her original spot. Once she had dragged the chairs over, she used one as a normal person would and propped her feet up on the other. She observed the amalgamation of people who had showed up, and noticed someone familiar: it was the funny man with the black coat! A massive grin had made it's way on to her face as he offered Dupont a unholy hybrid of jet engine and coffee mug. That was until the sharp foul smell of reefer hit her nose, which triggered the instinct of covering her nose with her inner elbow. It was wafting off the man next to her. She turned her head to him, lowered her elbow and spoke the stoner.

"Are you smoking that crap? That's disgusting, man." Before the smoking man had time to react, she quickly turned to Dupont. "And, Dupont is a French name, not Jewish."
"Scientia viam libertatis "...................................................................................... ///I take my realism with cream and sugar///
Humanist Demi-Socialist Technocractic Militant Democracy. Quite a mouthfull, ain't it?
XCOM Alphabet
Rupudska wrote:

Ayreonia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Ayreonia » Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:40 pm

Hiram yelped as a jet of flame roared past his face. He almost fell out of his chair trying to dodge the inferno.

"Woah, dude!" he exclaimed, trying to regain his composure and dignity.

"Don't be shy. She doesn't bite." The guy was calmly holding the mug-shaped lighter to Hiram's face. He gave the masked fellow an incredulous look and accepted the girl's light instead. He was about to thank her, but his show of gratitude quickly turned into a coughing fit, just as the lady explained she had filled the lighter with...

"Diesel?" he managed between hacks. "Who the fuck in their right mind uses diesel as a lighter fluid? You trying to poison me?"

"I heard you own a yacht," the weird-ass masked fella chimed in, apparently oblivious to the scene in front of him.

"A yacht? Bro, I'm not sure you..."

"I'm very much interested in taking it for a joyride," the madman (Hiram was getting pretty sure he was one) rambled on. "Don't worry about water; where I'm going we don't need water!"

Hiram blinked several times before he could piece together what the other had said.
"Oh, yeah. You're right, fella," he said tentatively, with a careful smile. His eyes he kept on the mug.
"Where we're going, we don't need water. Riiight. 'Cos there ain't any, and tanks don't go on water. I get it. Heh heh, you're funny. Heh. Anyway," Hiram turned a bit in his chair to face the woman, "we do have a goal. As much fun blasting through the desert and looting is, there is a place I'd like for us to reach. It's very deep in the Sands, about three hundred klicks from -- ah-haaa!" Hiram grinned. "Now I ain't no fool, lady. I'm not telling where we're going before I know y'all are on board." The grin faded from his face.

"I'll just tell ya this now: it's something me and my old crew found. We were on our way back to Red Cairns to hire backup and transport, when the two bastids decided to quit on me. 'Least they let me keep Lucy, though now I've seen it wasn't because of the kindness of their hearts." He spat, the took a long drag from his cigarette. "Ever tried to sell a tank in a dump like this? Poor assholes can't afford it. 'Course, now that you lot are here, am glad that I didn't..." he drifted away as two more women joined the group.

"Hel-lo, ladies," he greeted them. "Guess you're here after that Vagabond ad? Sorry for the handwriting on those, by the way. Tha's what happens when you let a bunch of illiterate kids copy your texts for ya."

"So yeah, as I were saying... Us. An alien ruin in the Deep Sands. Nobody knows 'bout it, 'cept me and my two bud- ex-buddies. Oh, I know what 'cher thinking! 'Why risk our lives for another ruin tha's probably been looted already?' or 'those never have anything sweet inside anyways'. Well, listen up, kiddos," he held one finger up.
"One: as I said, just me, Toni and Jamie know about that place, and those two have quit vagabondin' for good."
Two fingers.
"Two: I detest the men-ta-li-ty that alien shit's worthless. Yeah, from what we've seen, they weren't as smart as us, their gear wasn't as sweet, etcetera. But there's still archaeological value to the stuff. We ever get off this rock, some musem'll pay us good bucks for the junk. Like those 'Gyptian statues and shit. Worthless rock, by the looks of it, but some nut's gonn' buy it. Plus me myself am interested in history and stuff, thank you very much."
Three fingers.
"Three: and this is the best part," Hiram's grin returned. "That wasn't no ordinary ruin. This one glowed."
Last edited by Ayreonia on Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mincaldenteans
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Mincaldenteans » Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:06 pm

That caught Severine's interest. Postpoc being the forgotten bastard child that mother Earth herself wouldn't love, there wasn't much interest in the planet's worth, let alone its history. For all her interest in history, she only knew of Earth's exploits, the conglomerates that had taken some interest of PostPoc and the subsequent abandonment of it. Everything else from there was the same old story of people eking out an existence that was futile. She wanted off this rock and on a colony worth living in. Or maybe Earth itself, she always thought of visiting Paris.

"What exactly do you mean, it glowed?" Severine piped up, she crossed her legs and folded her arms, squinting that the man. "For all we know that piece of mystery stuff is just a big glowing hunk of nothing with a bunch of batteries shoved up its ass to makes us go 'oooh, ahh' and we're on a fool's errand. What proof you got other than your word and a tank?"

Jessjohnesik
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 11, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Jessjohnesik » Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:08 pm

"Hey, look what I found." Dahl said spontaneously to Anna, making her turned around to see Dahl holding a piece of paper.

VAGABONDS WANTED!!!!!!!

Looking for:

archea arg diggers
mechanic
fighters
cook (decent)
medic
hunter
etc

Necessary skills:

basic survival skill
not be an asshole

"That's pretty interesting." Anna said with sarcasm. "Why exactly did you show me it. It's not going to get us off of this planet. " She told Dahl, still relatively depressed at not being able to get away from this solar system.
"Perhaps it won't, perhaps it will. You don't know for sure what we might find in the desert. I say we check this guy out, perhaps this could be our chance." Dahl persuaded Anna more than usually, I the rested in this 'job offer'.
Anna sighed, instead asking Clara, the AI, on the probability of the mission helping them get off the planet. "It's actually pretty l-" before Clara could finish, she was cut off by Dahl. "Don't you finish that, or else miss depressy over here might as well spend the rest of her life whining about not being able to get off this goddamn planet." She boldly stated, awaiting a response.
"Fine. I'll go." Anna said with an irritated look on her face and stood up.
"So where is this guy?" Anna asked.
"Lou's dump bar. Do you know where that is?" Dahl said with a puzzled look.
"Yea, I remember walking past it once, it shouldn't be far, probably there." Anna explained, pointing int he presumed location of the bar.

After about ten minutes, they came to the bar.
"We're here for this." Dahl sternly stated, putting the paper in front of the barman.
ಠ_ಠ Proud owner of the Mystery Genre RPer award 2014!!
Pro: Science, environmentalism, equal rights, const. monarchy, mixed economy, Scientocracy, abortion, Western Europe, NZ, Japan, Australia, Nordic countries, SKorea, EU, immigration control, Merkel, Buddhism, Israel, centrism, eurofederalism, GMOs, soft euroscepticism
Against: Biophobia, social Conservatism, excessive militarism/pacifism, hedonism, totalitarianism, anarchism, fascism, communism, feminism SJWs/BLM, corruption, Islam, Christianity, Palestine, nazism, Russia, Arab League, Saudi Arabia, Greece, traditionalism, moralism, UKIP, uncontrolled immigration
Political Graph

I wonder if you're the worst person I've ever met; at a certain age it's hard to recall... ~ Olenna to Cersei,Game of Thrones

Esternial
Retired Moderator

Postby Esternial » Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:12 pm

Ayreonia wrote:Hiram yelped as a jet of flame roared past his face. He almost fell out of his chair trying to dodge the inferno.

"Don't be shy. She doesn't bite." The guy was calmly holding the mug-shaped lighter to Hiram's face. He gave the masked fellow an incredulous look and accepted the girl's light instead. He was about to thank her, but his show of gratitude quickly turned into a coughing fit, just as the lady explained she had filled the lighter with...

"Diesel?" he managed between hacks. "Who the fuck in their right mind uses diesel as a lighter fluid? You trying to poison me?"

"I heard you own a yacht," the weird-ass masked fella chimed in, apparently oblivious to the scene in front of him.

"I'm very much interested in taking it for a joyride," the madman (Hiram was getting pretty sure he was one) rambled on. "Don't worry about water; where I'm going we don't need water!"

Hiram blinked several times before he could piece together what the other had said.
"Oh, yeah. You're right, fella," he said tentatively, with a careful smile. His eyes he kept on the mug.
"Where we're going, we don't need water. Riiight. 'Cos there ain't any, and tanks don't go on water. I get it. Heh heh, you're funny. Heh. Anyway," Hiram turned a bit in his chair to face the woman, "we do have a goal. As much fun blasting through the desert and looting is, there is a place I'd like for us to reach. It's very deep in the Sands, about three hundred klicks from -- ah-haaa!" Hiram grinned. "Now I ain't no fool, lady. I'm not telling where we're going before I know y'all are on board." The grin faded from his face.

"I'll just tell ya this now: it's something me and my old crew found. We were on our way back to Red Cairns to hire backup and transport, when the two bastids decided to quit on me. 'Least they let me keep Lucy, though now I've seen it wasn't because of the kindness of their hearts." He spat, the took a long drag from his cigarette. "Ever tried to sell a tank in a dump like this? Poor assholes can't afford it. 'Course, now that you lot are here, am glad that I didn't..." he drifted away as two more women joined the group.

"Hel-lo, ladies," he greeted them. "Guess you're here after that Vagabond ad? Sorry for the handwriting on those, by the way. Tha's what happens when you let a bunch of illiterate kids copy your texts for ya."

"So yeah, as I were saying... Us. An alien ruin in the Deep Sands. Nobody knows 'bout it, 'cept me and my two bud- ex-buddies. Oh, I know what 'cher thinking! 'Why risk our lives for another ruin tha's probably been looted already?' or 'those never have anything sweet inside anyways'. Well, listen up, kiddos," he held one finger up.
"One: as I said, just me, Toni and Jamie know about that place, and those two have quit vagabondin' for good."
Two fingers.
"Two: I detest the men-ta-li-ty that alien shit's worthless. Yeah, from what we've seen, they weren't as smart as us, their gear wasn't as sweet, etcetera. But there's still archaeological value to the stuff. We ever get off this rock, some musem'll pay us good bucks for the junk. Like those 'Gyptian statues and shit. Worthless rock, by the looks of it, but some nut's gonn' buy it. Plus me myself am interested in history and stuff, thank you very much."
Three fingers.
"Three: and this is the best part," Hiram's grin returned. "That wasn't no ordinary ruin. This one glowed."

During the entire exposé, Zee sat completely still and listened; concealed eyes peered through the googles at Dupont, but predominantly at Furia's rack.

The fact that it glowed made Zee wonder why nobody else had found it yet. Stuff like that usually fell out of place in the middle of a desert, but Zee wasn't one to pay attention to questionable logic. As Zee was about to take a sip from his cup of newly-generated tea, still carrying the odour of the burnt liquid which obviously did not bother him, that nagging voice in the back of his head became louder.

"So what's in it for us?" A deeper voice spoke from behind the mask, less frivolous than before, as the masked figure took on a different posture. Now sitting more upright and less casually, Zee had given Ezekiel the floor; the floor would be the dominant share of their shared consciousness, which fluctuated greatly.

Zeke's grip on the mug tightened and the tea took on a darker colour, changing into coffee. He still used the straw, though.

"We've just met, so I'm staying cautious of your offer. I'm going to need more details" Zeke said, putting a strange emphasis on the "I" in his speech. Contrast to Zee, Zeke's body was tense all over, as if he was expecting someone to try and kill him any second. On numerous occasions did he accidentally stab someone in the eye with a fork or some other household object when they tried to get his attention by tapping him on the shoulder.

Cylarn
Postmaster-General

Postby Cylarn » Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:50 pm

Pan Asian Amercian Coalition wrote:Elsha was one of the last to take a seat at the table, as to took some effort to drag two chairs from her original spot. Once she had dragged the chairs over, she used one as a normal person would and propped her feet up on the other. She observed the amalgamation of people who had showed up, and noticed someone familiar: it was the funny man with the black coat! A massive grin had made it's way on to her face as he offered Dupont a unholy hybrid of jet engine and coffee mug. That was until the sharp foul smell of reefer hit her nose, which triggered the instinct of covering her nose with her inner elbow. It was wafting off the man next to her. She turned her head to him, lowered her elbow and spoke the stoner.

"Are you smoking that crap? That's disgusting, man." Before the smoking man had time to react, she quickly turned to Dupont. "And, Dupont is a French name, not Jewish."

Russ chuckled at her response, and took another drag of his blunt, exhaling and releasing a cloud of smoke. Despite the fact that marijuana had been legal for centuries, there were still idiots and ignorant people who believed it to be a harmful substance, which scientific studies had found were outweighed by the benefits.

"Deal with it, Dwain Esper," he said jokingly. "It's been legal for awhile, and who cares if he has a French name? It's just a name."

Ayreonia wrote:Hiram yelped as a jet of flame roared past his face. He almost fell out of his chair trying to dodge the inferno.

Two fingers.
Three fingers.

"Are we talkin' 'bout a figurative 'glow' or a legitimate, fluorescent 'glow'?" Russ asked. "I ain't throwin' in my gun on somethin' that I don't know 'bout? Are you sure no one has hit it yet?"
Last edited by Cylarn on Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
✎ Member - ℘ædagog

Transoxthraxia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Transoxthraxia » Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:18 pm

"Who in their right mind uses diesel? I do. It's good for you. I think. Helps you clear your mind and body. Usually. I think." As she said this, she reached into her backpack's strap pocket, and pulled out oa package of her own cigarettes. The box was unlabelled, and appeared as if it was originally a playing card box. It had the words "Furia's shit" sharpied over the real label. Inside were a bunch of custom-rolled cigarettes that probably contained more than just tobacco. Pulling one out, she stuck it in her mouth, where it hung from, and she lit it with her diesel lighter, breathing deeply as the fumes lit up the end of the death stick. Opening her eyes and flipping off the lighter, she continued speaking. "Glowing, you say?" She leaned forward and placed her hands on the table, much more intrigued by what had been said. "I like glowing shit. When something glows, it's either really good, or bad. About a fifty-fifty chance, I'd say. What was in the place? You went in, didn't you?" Furia asked, evermore nosy than before.
Last edited by Transoxthraxia on Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cylarn
Postmaster-General

Postby Cylarn » Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:24 pm

Transoxthraxia wrote:"Who in their right mind uses diesel? I do. It's good for you. I think. Helps you clear your mind and body. Usually. I think." As she said this, she reached into her backpack's strap pocket, and pulled out oa package of her own cigarettes. The box was unlabelled, and appeared as if it was originally a playing card box. It had the words "Furia's shit" sharpied over the real label. Inside were a bunch of custom-rolled cigarettes that probably contained more than just tobacco. Pulling one out, she stuck it in her mouth, where it hung from, and she lit it with her diesel lighter, breathing deeply as the fumes lit up the end of the death stick. Opening her eyes and flipping off the lighter, she continued speaking. "Glowing, you say?" She leaned forward and placed her hands on the table, much more intrigued by what had been said. "I like glowing shit. When something glows, it's either really good, or bad. About a fifty-fifty chance, I'd say. What was in the place? You went in, didn't you?" Furia asked, evermore nosy than before.

"If you want cancer, or if you wanna lose brain cells, keep on usin' diesel," he said, taking another drag of his blunt as his eyes drifted down to Furia's breasts. "I'll keep usin' my butane to smoke my grass. Forget your diesel; this'll clear your mind."

Russ took a swig of his whiskey, and bumped off some ashed from his blunt, which was almost halfway down. While a normal blunt would be dead by now, he made sure to get a rather long cigar wrap, which was around the length and width of a normal robusto cigar. He then pointed at Hiram, wanting to know where exactly on a map, they were heading. He had operated in that area before, but he wanted more specifics.

"I wanna see this place on a map," he said. "I want specifics on where we're gonna actually be, in the Deep Sands."
✎ Member - ℘ædagog

Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Pan Asian Amercian Coalition » Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:24 pm

Elsha was a little cheesed by smoky's indignant response,but was impressed by his knowledge of obscure exploitation media.The fact he could remember something like while stoned was an impressive feat. She began coughing after he released a cloud of acrid smoke. She knew that reefer wasn't horrible stuff, she had experimented a little bit when she was eighteen back on Earth, it was the smoking that riled her. Smoking in general, not just mary jane but tobacco, any thing. Her anger began to show when she turned to the man.

"Well listen here Smoky, I was well aware of it being legal. It's the smoking that pisses me off. And speaking of which..." She trailed off as she reached into her satchel, coughing every few seconds from the smoke of Hirams' cigarette and Smoky's blunt. She produced an industrial respirator and hurridly strapped it on so she wouldn't have to suffer through the scent of burning tobacco every time she wanted a breath. Naturally, this would breathing a little harder in a different manner, but at least she wouldn't get Smoky's secondhand. She turned to Dupont.

"How do you know the glow was produced by the ruins? It could've been phosphorescent algae growing on the rocks, or lights from a dig sight." She took a wheezy breath "Or, it could be radioluminescent ore and kill everyone who comes near."
Last edited by Pan Asian Amercian Coalition on Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
XCOM Alphabet
Rupudska wrote:

Transoxthraxia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Transoxthraxia » Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:54 pm

Cylarn wrote:
Transoxthraxia wrote:"Who in their right mind uses diesel? I do. It's good for you. I think. Helps you clear your mind and body. Usually. I think." As she said this, she reached into her backpack's strap pocket, and pulled out oa package of her own cigarettes. The box was unlabelled, and appeared as if it was originally a playing card box. It had the words "Furia's shit" sharpied over the real label. Inside were a bunch of custom-rolled cigarettes that probably contained more than just tobacco. Pulling one out, she stuck it in her mouth, where it hung from, and she lit it with her diesel lighter, breathing deeply as the fumes lit up the end of the death stick. Opening her eyes and flipping off the lighter, she continued speaking. "Glowing, you say?" She leaned forward and placed her hands on the table, much more intrigued by what had been said. "I like glowing shit. When something glows, it's either really good, or bad. About a fifty-fifty chance, I'd say. What was in the place? You went in, didn't you?" Furia asked, evermore nosy than before.

"If you want cancer, or if you wanna lose brain cells, keep on usin' diesel," he said, taking another drag of his blunt as his eyes drifted down to Furia's breasts. "I'll keep usin' my butane to smoke my grass. Forget your diesel; this'll clear your mind."

Russ took a swig of his whiskey, and bumped off some ashed from his blunt, which was almost halfway down. While a normal blunt would be dead by now, he made sure to get a rather long cigar wrap, which was around the length and width of a normal robusto cigar. He then pointed at Hiram, wanting to know where exactly on a map, they were heading. He had operated in that area before, but he wanted more specifics.

"I wanna see this place on a map," he said. "I want specifics on where we're gonna actually be, in the Deep Sands."

"You know, you shouldn't be the one talking about killing brain cells." Furia said, nodding to the man's whiskey. "But I digress, I'm pretty sure that everyone here is a short a few good brain cells. But really, let's leave the brain cells and the thinking to the big wig scientists, hm? I'm more focused on making money and ensuring that I eat, and survive. Personally, I'd prefer to be focusing on that, rather than a few petty brain cells, don't you? By the way," Furia said, extending a grimy hand towards Russ, ignoring the fact that his eyes were fixated on her breasts, and said, "Furia. I guess you're okay to meet."

Cylarn
Postmaster-General

Postby Cylarn » Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:02 pm

Transoxthraxia wrote:
Cylarn wrote:

"You know, you shouldn't be the one talking about killing brain cells." Furia said, nodding to the man's whiskey. "But I digress, I'm pretty sure that everyone here is a short a few good brain cells. But really, let's leave the brain cells and the thinking to the big wig scientists, hm? I'm more focused on making money and ensuring that I eat, and survive. Personally, I'd prefer to be focusing on that, rather than a few petty brain cells, don't you? By the way," Furia said, extending a grimy hand towards Russ, ignoring the fact that his eyes were fixated on her breasts, and said, "Furia. I guess you're okay to meet."

Russ chuckled at Furia's remark about his brain cells, and her further statements about brain cells before nodding in agreement. When she introduced herself, Russ immediately made eye contact with the young woman, his much larger hand taking her's and holding it firmly, but gently as he shook it.

"Russ," he said. "A pleasure to meet you, Furia."
✎ Member - ℘ædagog

Ayreonia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Ayreonia » Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:33 pm

Lou was in high spirits. Dupont and his little congregation had drawn in loads of curious gawkers who were buying drinks to have an excuse to hang out and catch a snippet of the Vagabonds' conversation. Accordingly, the level of noise in the bar was lower than usual. From the corner of his eye, Lou saw a drunk try to crank the volume on the jukebox, only to be dragged away by angry patrons. It looked like it would be an excellent day. Now, if only he could make Dupont stay...

A pair of women entering snapped him out of his daydreaming. "Welcome, ladies!" he exclaimed while cleaning a glass with a rag. "What can I getcha?"

"We're here for this," the tougher-looking of the two grunted, slamming a piece of paper on the counter. Lou didn't even have to look at it to know what it contained.

"Right over there," he inclined his head to the left. "The big table with the colorful bunch. You can't miss it. Oh, and before you go," he grabbed two pitchers of beer and handed them over. "It's on the house. Mr Dupont's friends are my friends."

The conversation at the table had risen to a level where everyone seemed to be talking at the same time. Hiram leaned forward and rested his head on his hands, letting the flow of the voices wash over him for a second. He then snapped his fingers a few times and straightened.

"Aight, aight, shut up. Everybody. Seriously, ev'rybody just shut the fuck up for a minute. Thank you."

He used the silence to let his gaze wander over the crowd. They'll do, he thought. I reckon they'll do real good. Taking a long draw from his cigarette and putting it out on an ashtray, he steeped his fingers and leaned back.

"Good, I can hear my own thoughts now. First things first," he looked at the girl with the suspiciously clean clothes. "Yeah, Dupont's French, but me, all I can say in that is je ne parle Francais pas. I think that's how it goes. Anyway, my family's Jewish, so my folks thought it'd be real funny to give me a Hebrew first name. Hiram. As I said," he threw his hands up in the air, almost knocking the UNSEC dude's glass over.
"Sorry. As I said, I don' mind. Just don't rub it in my face that I have a Jew's name."

"As for the glow," Hiram went on, taking a sip of his ale, "Y'all bring up good points, but check this out." He leaned forward conspiratorially.
"It wasn't no dig site, that's for damn sure. We checked the place out. There was no man-made equipment lying around, no tire marks in the sand, in short, no sign of anybody ever having been there. Well, 'cept them aliens who built the place, of course."

"Now the kid here brings up an intrestin' point," he went on, turning to Elsha, "and she's clearly a smart one." Hiram grinned and raised his glass in salute.
"Algae, you say? Not a bad sylo-logism, I say. Problem is," he drank a mouthful and swallowed with a deep sigh of pleasure, "there ain't such a thing as glowing algae here on ol' Rigel Three. Least, nobody has found any, which, to be fair, ain't a surprise, since this dustball's mostly unexplored. Anyway, glowing algae, unlikely."

Hiram let his gaze sweep his small group again. "Now what was that black hair red lips here said?" he continued. "Empty hunk with batteries shoved up its ass? Ha!" He produced another cigarette and held it out to be lit. Once it was burning, he went on.
"You mightn't know how sweet that'd be, girl. 'Cos I'm telling ya, nobody had been there in a while. But that shit glowed. It was a kind of bluish-cyanish color, totally even, not a flicker. Kinda faint, so you wouldn't even see it by day. I ain't no physicianist, but I do know a thing or two about electronics. If shit glows, it's powered by something. Which means there's something in there that works."

He let that sink in for a while before continuing. C'mon, Hiram, they're almost convinced. "But the best point of the conversation award goes to mask-and-goggles over there," he smiled, gesturing at Zeke. "What's in it for you guys? Well, you've seen my fliers. Equal distribution of loot. Meaning that whatever we find in there, we share. And if it's some kinda alien power source that I suspect it is, we're gonna be rolling in cash once we haul it back to Montecristo for the Archaeologists' Association to examine."

"And since my word seems not to be good enough for some..." Hiram exclaimed, his voice rising. This was his grande finale. "Here I've got a photo of the siteTHE FUCK YOU THINK YOU'RE DOING, ASSHOLE?!"

In one fluid motion, Hiram jumped up from his chair, knocking it back, drew his revolver and shoved it into the stomach of a patron who had been listening a bit too closely for Hiram's liking. The man doubled over, but quickly regained his senses as the reluctantly Jewish Frenchman aimed his gun at his forehead.

"P-p-p-please, sir," the small, ragged man pleaded with terror in his eyes, "d-d-don't hurt m-me!"

Hiram cocked the revolver. "Were you eavesdropping, sonofabitch?"

"N-no! I was just standing there, I swear!"

"The hell you were." Hiram grabbed the man by the collar.
"LOU! This fella's giving us trouble."

A dead silence descended upon the bar. The fat barkeep sauntered over. "What's the problem?"

"The guy's drunk and bothering me. Escort him out, would you?"

Lou put his huge hand around the visibly shaken man's neck. Judging by his expression, the immense fatty had a crushing grip.
"All right, mister. It's time for you to go home."
"No! Please! I... I was just interested in the job! I'm with them! I'm a Vagabond, I swear!"

"The fuck he is," Hiram grunted, sitting back down. "I know the dude. Works for Harlaw, a butcher of some sort. Spends all his earnings at the Patrician." He snorted.

"Anyway, that's my story. Oh yeah, the picture." He passed the photo around. It had been taken at night, and clearly represented a tall skeletal structure that was lit by something. "Now, I've been yapping for long enough. Whaddya guys say?" He drank the rest of his ale and gave a mighty belch. "You in or what?"

Cylarn
Postmaster-General

Postby Cylarn » Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:45 pm

After listening to Hiram's rather dramatic speech, Russ took a long drag of his blunt and followed it up by finishing off his glass of whiskey, slamming it upside down onto the table to show that he was in.

"You got me convinced," he said, making eye contact with Hiram. "Anyone else in? Furia?"
✎ Member - ℘ædagog

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse