NATION

PASSWORD

NSG Senate Chamber [NSG Senate]

A resting-place for threads that might have otherwise been lost.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Venaleria
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 20, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Venaleria » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:23 pm

Evraim wrote:
Venaleria wrote:
*whispers*

Logical fallacy overload

Good girl. *pats head*

Or are you a boy? I've no idea.

Try the latter...
Vice President of Aurentina, representing Lüsen, District 375
Election Commissioner for the Red-Greens Party
NSG Senate Administrator
Ambassador to the Totally Rad Party
Join Sirius. Siriusly.
If you're going to spell my name, spell it correctly. Or you can just call me Ven or Venny.
"Is it behind the bunny?" "It IS the bunny!" -MP

Oneracon
Senator

Founded: Jul 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Oneracon » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:24 pm

Ainin wrote:
Oneracon wrote:
So are you saying that the following aren't "actually helpful":
  • Ear thermometers
  • Artificial limbs
  • Scratch-resistant glass
  • First aid reflective blankets
  • Aircraft anti-icing systems
  • Fire-resistant building reinforcements
  • Firefighting equipment
  • Freeze drying
  • Improvements to water purification and solar energy
  • Satellites

To be fair satellites are used in warfare.

-Minister of Research and Astronomy

I was countering the Senator's assertion that space research is not "actually helpful"
Compass
Economic Left/Right: -8.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.72
Oneracon IC Links
Factbook
Embassies

"The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power"
Pro:LGBTQ+ rights, basic income, secularism, gun control, internet freedom, civic nationalism, non-military national service, independent Scotland, antifa
Anti: Social conservatism, laissez-faire capitalism, NuAtheism, PETA, capital punishment, Putin, SWERF, TERF, GamerGate, "Alt-right" & neo-Nazism, Drumpf, ethnic nationalism, "anti-PC", pineapple on pizza

Your resident Canadian neutral good socdem graduate student.

*Here, queer, and not a prop for your right-wing nonsense.*

Byzantium Imperial
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 22, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Byzantium Imperial » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:24 pm

Oneracon wrote:
Byzantium Imperial wrote:Every scientific development every made, past present future, will be weaponized. I say we stick to terrestial research, which is cheaper, more efficient, and is actually helpful to our people

• Ear thermometers
  • Artificial limbs
  • Firefighting equipment
  • Freeze drying
  • Satellites

Those civilian technologies will leak to us quickly. Just because they didnt have space craft doesnt mean you cant find those things in Italy or germany
New Pyrrhius wrote:Byzantium, eat a Snickers. You become an imperialistic psychopathic dictatorship when you're hungry.

The Grumpy Cat wrote:Their very existence... makes me sick.
After a short 600 year rest, the Empire is back, and is better then ever! After our grueling experience since 1453, no longer will our great empire be suppressed. The Ottomans may be gone, but the war continues!
I support Thermonuclear Warfare. Do you?
Proud member of The Anti Democracy League
Senator Willem de Ruyter of the Civic Reform Party

Evraim
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Evraim » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:24 pm

Venaleria wrote:Try the latter...

Oops. Sorry. Good boy. *pats head*

Yes you are! Yes you are! :p

Maklohi Vai
Minister

Founded: Jan 07, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Maklohi Vai » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:26 pm

The Nihilistic view wrote:
Maklohi Vai wrote:Byzantium was referring to it as a time unit, which it isn't. Dwight Schrute is correct.

He did not use Light, I inserted that and changed the meaning to distance. ie it will be longer than half a million years.

Why did....

Oh never mind, it doesn't matter.

Byzantium Imperial wrote:
Maklohi Vai wrote:Byzantium was referring to it as a time unit, which it isn't. Dwight Schrute is correct.

I didnt refert to it as a time unit. I said half a million years

I know that now, sorry.
"For the glory of our people, we govern our nation freely. For the glory of Polynesia, we help and strengthen our friends. For the glory of the earth, we do not destroy what it has bestowed upon us."
Demonym: Vaian
-Kamanakai Oa'a Pani, first president of Maklohi Vai
-6.13/-8.51 - as of 7/18
Hosted: MVBT 1; WBC 27; Friendly Cups 7, 9; (co-) NSCAA 5
Former President, WBC; WBC Councillor
Senator Giandomenico Abruzzi, Workers Party of Galatea
Administrator
Former:
Head Administrator
Beto Goncalves, Chair, CTA
Abraham Kamassi, Chair, Labour Party of Elizia
President of Calaverde Eduardo Bustamante; Leader, LDP
President of Baltonia Dovydas Kanarigis; Leader, LDP
President of Aurentina Wulukuno Porunalakai; Leader, Progress Coa.

Venaleria
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Venaleria » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:26 pm

But I don't think foreign countries are going to invade us with flying lethal paper darts...
NSG Senate Administrator
Join Sirius. Siriusly.
If you're going to spell my name, spell it correctly. Or you can just call me Ven or Venny.

Oneracon
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Oneracon » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:27 pm

Oneracon wrote:
  • Ear thermometers
  • Artificial limbs
  • Firefighting equipment
  • Freeze drying
  • Satellites

Those civilian technologies will leak to us quickly. Just because they didnt have space craft doesnt mean you cant find those things in Italy or germany

So you say that technology from space exploration is actually helpful? :eyebrow:
Compass
Oneracon IC Links
Factbook
Embassies

Pro:LGBTQ+ rights, basic income, secularism, gun control, internet freedom, civic nationalism, non-military national service, independent Scotland, antifa
Anti: Social conservatism, laissez-faire capitalism, NuAtheism, PETA, capital punishment, Putin, SWERF, TERF, GamerGate, "Alt-right" & neo-Nazism, Drumpf, ethnic nationalism, "anti-PC", pineapple on pizza

Venaleria
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Venaleria » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:27 pm

Evraim wrote:
Venaleria wrote:Try the latter...

Oops. Sorry. Good boy. *pats head*

Yes you are! Yes you are! :p

Well I feel slightly degraded...
NSG Senate Administrator
Join Sirius. Siriusly.

Byzantium Imperial
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Byzantium Imperial » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:29 pm

Venaleria wrote:

But I don't think foreign countries are going to invade us with flying lethal paper darts...

How could you possibly know that? We need to be ready for everything..... that means mole people and zombies too

But if we give money to join european space efforts when we arnt part of the eu, before we know it, number 3 on the list happens.

edit: before somebody points out space tech would help beat aliens, so does nukes
Last edited by Byzantium Imperial on Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
New Pyrrhius wrote:Byzantium, eat a Snickers. You become an imperialistic psychopathic dictatorship when you're hungry.

After a short 600 year rest, the Empire is back, and is better then ever! After our grueling experience since 1453, no longer will our great empire be suppressed. The Ottomans may be gone, but the war continues!

Ainin
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 05, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Ainin » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:30 pm

Venaleria wrote:

Your right. But if we give money to join european space efforts when we arnt part of the eu, before we know it, number 3 on the list happens.

Slippery slope, and against the OST.

Republic of Nakong | 內江共和國 | IIwiki · Map · Kylaris
"And when the last law was down, and the Devil turned round on you — where would you hide, Roper, the laws all being flat?"

Venaleria
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Venaleria » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:31 pm

Venaleria wrote:

How could you possibly know that? We need to be ready for everything..... that means mole people and zombies too

But if we give money to join european space efforts when we arnt part of the eu, before we know it, number 3 on the list happens.

edit: before somebody points out space tech would help beat aliens, so does nukes

For some reason, that first argument seems slightly absurd to me...
NSG Senate Administrator
Join Sirius. Siriusly.

Byzantium Imperial
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Byzantium Imperial » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:36 pm

Ainin wrote:
Byzantium Imperial wrote:Your right. But if we give money to join european space efforts when we arnt part of the eu, before we know it, number 3 on the list happens.

Slippery slope, and against the OST.

(this is actually seriously) if the 1930's taught us anything, its that nations dont keep their promises.
We shouldnt be balancing our nations survivals on the promises of other nations. It is a very bad move

Ainin
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Ainin » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:37 pm

Venaleria wrote:

Haven't you seen Independence Day? Nukes suck against aliens.
"And when the last law was down, and the Devil turned round on you — where would you hide, Roper, the laws all being flat?"

Oneracon
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Oneracon » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:37 pm

Ainin wrote:Slippery slope, and against the OST.

(this is actually seriously) if the 1930's taught us anything, its that nations dont keep their promises.
We shouldnt be balancing our nations survivals on the promises of other nations. It is a very bad move

Are you referring to the Treaty of Versailles, Senator?
Compass
Oneracon IC Links
Factbook
Embassies

Ainin
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Ainin » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:38 pm

Ainin wrote:Slippery slope, and against the OST.

Still doesn't change that it was a slippery slope...

Byzantium Imperial
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Byzantium Imperial » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:41 pm

Oneracon wrote:
Byzantium Imperial wrote:(this is actually seriously) if the 1930's taught us anything, its that nations dont keep their promises.

Well i was thinking the munich treaty of 1938, but versaille as an example works too. Also, the molotov ribentrop pact of late august 1939 didnt work out as planned either. At least for Stalin.

Oneracon
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Oneracon » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:45 pm

Oneracon wrote:

Well i was thinking the munich treaty of 1938, but versaille as an example works too. Also, the molotov ribentrop pact of late august 1939 didnt work out as planned either. At least for Stalin.

Well I was going to say that the socio-political situation in Germany at the time, especially because of the horrible conditions imposed by Versailles, are what gave rise to WWII. Hitler didn't rise to power on his own, he had plenty of help from the victorious Allies of WWI and the Treaty of Versailles.
Compass
Oneracon IC Links
Factbook
Embassies

Byzantium Imperial
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Byzantium Imperial » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:51 pm

Oneracon wrote:
Byzantium Imperial wrote:Well i was thinking the munich treaty of 1938, but versaille as an example works too. Also, the molotov ribentrop pact of late august 1939 didnt work out as planned either. At least for Stalin.

Well I was going to say that the socio-political situation in Germany at the time, especially because of the horrible conditions imposed by Versailles, are what gave rise to WWII. Hitler didn't rise to power on his own, he had plenty of help from the victorious Allies of WWI and the Treaty of Versailles.

Actually my main argument for versaille was going to be it mandated the US keep an active role in europe to maintain the watch on the rhine, and it mandated that all nations come to the aide of those under attack and to stop future wars.
Russian civil war intervention, american isolationism, italian invasion of ethiopia all seem to show that NOBODY was keeping their promises. If anything, the germans kept up their end of the deal the longest, paying reps untill the early to mid 30s
Last edited by Byzantium Imperial on Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

New Sapienta
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 28, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby New Sapienta » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:53 pm

Oneracon wrote:
Byzantium Imperial wrote:Well i was thinking the munich treaty of 1938, but versaille as an example works too. Also, the molotov ribentrop pact of late august 1939 didnt work out as planned either. At least for Stalin.

And Stalin had he given the Communists approval of the Communist-Social Democrat alliance.

Ainin
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Ainin » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:27 pm

Order of Aurentina Establishment Act | Author: Ainin [TR] | Sponsors: Oneracon [RG], Byzantium Imperial [NIFP], Vedastia [LFP], The Nihilistic View [LD] | Urgency: Meh
The Senate of Aurentina,

Affirming numerous citizens have done great acts for the betterment of the nation,

Declaring that they should be recognized for their efforts,

Establishing the Order of Aurentina,

Marking its mission is to "recognize great laudable efforts to improve the nation and assist the people of the Commonwealth",

Barring any sitting politician and serviceperson from obtaining the award for actions that are implicitly part of their job,

Separating the order into three ranks:

• Grand Commander of the Order of Aurentina, CA [A maximum of 5 persons may hold this title at any given time]
  • Officer of the Order of Aurentina, OA [A maximum of 50 persons may hold this title at any given time]
  • Member of the Order of Aurentina, MA [A maximum of 200 persons may hold this title at any given time]

Creating the Order of Aurentina Panel, consisting of 20 randomly-selected professors of political science from Aurentine universities,

Tasking the committee with screening potential candidates and recommending nominees to the President of Aurentina, who may choose to accept or veto the committee's recommendation,

Noting the President's veto may be overruled by a 75% supermajority of support from the panel,

Affirming that membership is lifelong and may only be revoked by an Act of Senate,

Hereby passes the Order of Aurentina Establishment Act.

Great Nepal
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Nepal » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:15 pm

Byzantium Imperial wrote:Those civilian technologies will leak to us quickly. Just because they didnt have space craft doesnt mean you cant find those things in Italy or germany

So, you want our nation to be technological backwater of the world taking up crap that other nations have deemed not valuable enough to protect?
Last edited by Great Nepal on Sun Nov 29, 1995 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ainin
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Ainin » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:18 pm

GN, while you're online, could you revise the dates in the act back a year or two? 5 months isn't enough to design an unmanned spacecraft.

Wolfmanne
Senator

Founded: Mar 16, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Wolfmanne » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:28 pm

delete
Last edited by Wolfmanne on Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cicero thinks I'm Rome's Helen of Troy and Octavian thinks he'll get his money, the stupid fools.

Great Nepal
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Nepal » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:29 pm

Ainin wrote:GN, while you're online, could you revise the dates in the act back a year or two? 5 months isn't enough to design an unmanned spacecraft.

I will move it back by nine month (or a year). When act was purposed, there was lot longer to design unmanned aircraft but its been stuck in queue for a while...
I will do this tonight.
Last edited by Great Nepal on Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Last edited by Great Nepal on Sun Nov 29, 1995 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

CTALNH
Powerbroker

Founded: Jul 18, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby CTALNH » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:49 pm

Yanalia wrote:How are we going to get an unmanned space flight in five months starting from scratch?

Not gonna happen? :shock:
"This guy is a State socialist, which doesn't so much mean mass murder and totalitarianism as it means trying to have a strong state to lead the way out of poverty and towards a bright future. Strict state control of the economy is necessary to make the great leap forward into that brighter future, and all elements of society must be sure to contribute or else."
Economic Left/Right: -9.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 3.64
Lawful Neutral/Lawful Evil half and half.
Authoritarian Extreme Leftist because fuck pre-existing Ideologies.
"Epicus Doomicus Metallicus"
Radical Anti-Radical Feminist Feminist
S.W.I.F: Sex Worker Inclusionary Feminist.
T.I.F: Trans Inclusionary Feminist

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Archives