NATION

PASSWORD

International Coalition for Expansion [MT|Open]

Where nations come together and discuss matters of varying degrees of importance. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Virana
Minister

Founded: Jan 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Virana » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:48 pm

Graznovia wrote:Edit: Virana's F-29 is worth a look if you want something intended to fulfill pretty much the same roles as the F-35, different in that it was done right and didn't cost more than Australia's economy.

Actually, I have yet to write up its development history. The program ran into just as many problems and the overall development funding was twice as much as that put into the F-35 so far. Which means it too was one of those "it's only going because it's too big to cancel" programs. $250 billion is a lot of money to just terminate a program.

The per-unit cost is lower because there's been more individual units produced. That's the case with the F-35; by the second production batch it'll be under $100 million, and the third around $75 million. Additionally, the flyaway cost on the F-29's page does not factor in development costs, again because so many units have been produced. The actual cost of producing it would be far lower because of that, but I export them for a static cost above their true production cost. This effect is generally termed economies of scale, where increased production numbers reduce the average production cost over time.

Graznovia wrote:I'm going to be frank.
And for that 20-30 million in savings you get an aircraft that is far less capable than F-22. Stealth is pretty much the only good thing about the F-35; it is in fact less maneuverable than the F-4 dating from the 60s and slower than the F-15 which it is slated to replace as bomb truck.

And don't forget that the stealth capabilities of F-35 aren't very spectacular especially from the side or rear, so against an OPFOR flight flying spread out and sharing target data the stealth advantage is greatly reduced. Also, the piss poor maneuverability of F-35 means that for all the relatively advanced avionics it is equipped with, it would ironically enough often be able to detect but not jink from an incoming missile, reliant on countermeasures to do the job. In air-to-air combat, you'd be relying on your stealth and avionics to detect at BVR, and engage with missiles your adversaries before they can even see you. Failing that, you're likely fucked if the adversary survives (not unlikely; missiles actually have pretty low kill rates in general) and closes in on you, because you neither have the maneuverability to challenge nor the speed to flee.

Actually, the performance envelope of the F-35 is almost exactly the same as the F/A-18 Hornet's, which is, in fact, very reasonable for a modern multirole fighter. Its avionics aren't just "relatively advanced", they're rather eons more advanced than anything ever used in a fighter jet before. Fighter pilots commonly say "if I can see a missile, I can outmaneuver it"; the problem is actually seeing the missile while both you and the missile are performing high-G maneuvers. The F-35 keeps its eyes on the missile and allows the pilot to keep track of it.

And when considering that its flight envelope is pretty much the same as the Hornet, its maneuverability is not as bad as you're making it seem. It can match up with most modern fighters and crosses the threshold using its avionics suite.

Missiles do have far smaller kill rates in general than they're advertised, but that could largely be attributed to the fact that most advanced modern missiles with the latest in seeker technology haven't been tested in an operational combat environment. In testing, many types of missiles—particularly short-range AAMs with imaging infrared seekers—have far higher kill rates than their predecessors. In terms of medium/long range missiles, the MBDA Meteor has a far smaller operational range than comparable long range missiles like the AMRAAM, but the Meteor's key advantage is that it massively expands the "killbox", so to speak.

Again, the latest and greatest has yet to be used outside of testing.
Last edited by Virana on Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
II Mentor specializing in MT and GE&T. If you need help, TG me, visit our thread, or join our IRC channel, #NSMentors on irc.esper.net!

Mentors Hub | Welcome to II | RP Questions | #NSMentors
International Incidents Mentor | IIwiki Administrator

Owner of the United Republic of Emmeria and everything about it

Arthurista
Minister

Founded: Sep 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Arthurista » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:51 pm

Graznovia wrote:
Erucia wrote:But in any case, the F-35 is designed as and is used as a multi-role fighter craft. I really don't ever remember hearing that it has poorer performance than the Phantom (source, is what I mean), and I really don't ever remember the F-15 as a bomb-truck. However, while I will grant that it will probably have worse field performance than a 4.5 Gen fighter, the modern state of aerial warfare will involve heavy use of electronic support and lots of distance fighting.

Too lazy to dig up all the sources, but this one is good reading as a whole: http://www.ausairpower.net/APA-NOTAM-300309-1.html

Also
> Uses a 5.45x45mm round ICly since 2007

Why do we devote so much effort into small arms lol. If we're fighting peer-threats, the weapons that really count are tacair, arty and armour. Infantry are basically there just to mop up and occupy, aren't they?

On the fighters front, I think I made a mistake in making a F-35-esque multirole. Should've gone for a dirt cheap fighter that's used for A2G 75% of the time but still capable of doing A2A in an emergency. IMHO stealth or EW aren't particularly relevant once your high-end 5th gens have seized air superiority and SEADed out enemy SAM batteries. Lyran Sparrowhawks, SAAB Gripens or Chinese J-10s and JF-17s are probably the aircrafts to go for.
Last edited by Arthurista on Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:57 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Phonencia
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 27, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Phonencia » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:01 pm

Arthurista wrote:
Graznovia wrote:
Too lazy to dig up all the sources, but this one is good reading as a whole: http://www.ausairpower.net/APA-NOTAM-300309-1.html

Also

Why do we devote so much effort into small arms lol. If we're fighting peer-threats, the weapons that really count are tacair, arty and armour. Infantry are basically there just to mop up and occupy, aren't they?

On the fighters front, I think I made a mistake in making a F-35-esque multirole. Should've gone for a dirt cheap fighter that's used for A2G 75% of the time but still capable of doing A2A in an emergency. IMHO stealth or EW aren't particularly relevant once your high-end 5th gens have seized air superiority and SEADed out enemy SAM batteries. Lyran Sparrowhawks, SAAB Gripens or Chinese J-10s and JF-17s are probably the aircrafts to go for.

In some areas like thick jungles, forests, urban environments etc. they are critical to combating enemy forces, especially terrorist. In open field battle? Not so much.

Also, just to note, I have Aleckandor's back 8)
Unified diversity
Functioning as one body
Every part encouraged by the other
No one independent of another
Irreplaceable
Indispensable
You're incredible
Incredible...

Romberg
Senator

Founded: Mar 15, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Romberg » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:24 am

Erucia wrote:
Liberated Counties wrote:What missile defense systems would you recommend we use?

We need one thats short/medium range, and one long range system.

Someone once whooped my ass in an invasion using the S-300 system I mean S-400 system (opps!). Couldn't even fly in my own controlled airspace, so my hat's off to that for a long-range system.

Support for the S-400. We use them as our main long range SAM, and the Pantsir-S1 in the short range role. Got a couple of Patriots in storage as well...

Anyway, I'm back.
Proud Member of Astyria.

Info: Population 150 mil. Centrist. Based on a much more competent Austrian Empire with Scandinavian and Russian influences.

Storefronts: Holding Company|Airline|Railway

First Valerian Empire
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 31, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby First Valerian Empire » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:25 am

Romberg wrote:
Erucia wrote:Someone once whooped my ass in an invasion using the S-300 system I mean S-400 system (opps!). Couldn't even fly in my own controlled airspace, so my hat's off to that for a long-range system.

Support for the S-400. We use them as our main long range SAM, and the Pantsir-S1 in the short range role. Got a couple of Patriots in storage as well...

Anyway, I'm back.

Go away, no one likes green flags.
The Valyrian Imperium
●▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬๑۩۩۩۩۩๑▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬●
''Great ambition is the passion of a great character. Those endowed with it may perform very good or very bad acts. All depends on the principles which direct them.''

Liberated Counties
Senator

Founded: Oct 28, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Liberated Counties » Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:36 am

We purchased the patriot system for long range Defense, NASAM for medium/small range defense, and stinger missiles for small range.
I am a Liberal Capitalist living in the UK.

IIwiki Page | NStracker Page | Factbook

Proud Member of the INTERNATIONAL FREEDOM COALITION!

Romberg
Senator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Romberg » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:52 am

First Valerian Empire wrote:
Romberg wrote:

Anyway, I'm back.

Go away, no one likes green flags.

I'm so tempted to change my flag to the Gadaffi-era Libyan flag right now :D
Proud Member of Astyria.

Info: Population 150 mil. Centrist. Based on a much more competent Austrian Empire with Scandinavian and Russian influences.

Aleckandor
Minister

Founded: May 30, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Aleckandor » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:43 am

Romberg wrote:
First Valerian Empire wrote:Go away, no one likes green flags.

I'm so tempted to change my flag to the Gadaffi-era Libyan flag right now :D

Don't come crying to us when your people rebel and you get poked in the bottom with a sword.
♜♞♝ ~ THE GLOBAL SOVEREIGN CONFEDERACY OF ALECKANDOR ~ ♝♞♜
The IC demonym is "Aleckandorean(s)". Just call me Aleck.
"ANYBODY THAT SAID YOU WON'T EAT XMAS AND NEW YEAR RICE, LET THEM DIE BY FIRE!" - Based Ugandan (?) Chef

Confederate Constituencies | Ethnocultural Groups | Yerhvennian Continent Map | Diplomatic Relationships
RP Tech: MT/PMT | Total GDP: $354.6 Trillion | Population (2020): 24.7 Billion | Standing Military: 10.3 Million

Port Charlotte
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 07, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Port Charlotte » Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:19 pm

Nation Name: The Holy Empire of Port Charlotte
National Leader(s): Empress Scarlet Get
National/Most Common Religion: Roman Christian
Government Form: (Democracy, Monarchy, Capitalist, Communist etc.) Dictatorship
Is every citizen given equal opportunities in society, regardless of race, ethnicity, religion, political views, etc.? Y/N
Are the basic civil liberties and fundamental rights of LGBT citizens protected by law? Y/N
Are your citizens free to practice any religion they please? Y/N
Military Strength: (you may post a link to your military factbook if you have one) I do, just not complete
Main Infantry Weapon: AR-79
Main Battle Tank: Gladiator 3
Main Fighter Plane: F-10 Striker Fighter
Main Naval Warships:
Bourne Class Super Aircraft Carrier
Iron Class Frigate
Infantry Calibers Used: (7.62x39mm Russian, 5.56x45mm NATO etc.)
  • 9x19mm Parabellum
  • 5.56×45 mm NATO
  • 7.62×51mm NATO
  • 7.62×39mm
  • Caliber .308 inches

Military Service Branches:
  • Port Charlotte Guards Army
  • Port Charlotte Royal Navy
  • Port Charlotte Royal Air Force
  • Port Charlotte Royal Marine Corps.
Infantry Body Armor: (if none type N/A)
Improved Outer Tactical Vest
Are You Willing to Switch to the 6.5x39mm ICE Cartridge for Your Main Rifle?: (6.5x39mm ICE is
6.5mm Grendel with a different name, there is literally no difference whatsoever)
Its possible, since we have a country made defense contractor.
Are You Willing to Assist in Offensive Military Operations?: Yes
List All Other Alliances You Are a Member of: In Singature
Do You Want to Make a Monetary Donation to the ICE Humanitarian Branch?: (donate money to help build schools and hospitals in liberated/conquered nations. Please specify amount) 100,000,000
Do You Want to Make a Materiel Donation to the ICEH or Peacekeeping Corps?: (all rifles/LMGs etc. should be chambered for 6.5 Grendel/ICE) No
Are You In Need of Military Aid?: (training, equipment etc.) No
Are You Willing to Volunteer Extreme-Climate Areas of Your Nation for Training Exercises?: (arctic, mountainous etc.) Yes
If Yes, List Areas and Climate:
  • Tropical wet
  • Tropical wet and dry
  • Semiarid
  • Desert (arid)
  • Mediterranean
  • Humid subtropical
  • Marine West Coast
  • Humid continental
  • Subarctic
  • Tundra
  • Icecap
  • Highland
Other Facts You Believe ICE Should Know About Your Nation:
Membership Type: (Humanitarian, Security, Full/Dual) Full
RP Examples:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=251653&p=15484127#15484127
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=238076&p=14705299#when
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=223303&p=13178425#inject
Zephyic Civil War- Port Charlotte withdraw
Defense of Qubec- Port Charlotte Victory
Intonisian/Emexican War- Port Charlotte withdraw
Defense of Port Charlotte- Lost
THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA IS THE GREATEST NATION GOD HAS PLACED ON THIS EARTH. WE FIGHT FOR THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE AND ANSWER THE CALL OF JUSTICE WHEREVER TYRANNY REIGNS.

Arthurista
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Arthurista » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:01 pm

I vote we accept the app above.
Last edited by Arthurista on Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Romberg
Senator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Romberg » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:29 am

I'd support PC as well.
Proud Member of Astyria.

First Valerian Empire
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 31, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby First Valerian Empire » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:38 am

I like all the new apps
The Valyrian Imperium
●▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬๑۩۩۩۩۩๑▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬●
''Great ambition is the passion of a great character. Those endowed with it may perform very good or very bad acts. All depends on the principles which direct them.''

Afalia
Senator

Founded: Jul 21, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Afalia » Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:52 am

Port Charlotte app looks good to me.

Romberg
Senator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Romberg » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:20 am

Arthurista wrote:
Graznovia wrote:

Also

What about the Karlberg K42 or their modified Gripens? And yes I agree with F-29s as well.
Proud Member of Astyria.

Eslovakia
Ambassador

Founded: May 04, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Eslovakia » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:00 am

Utrikesdepartment - Ministry of Foreign Affairs
Utrikesminister Karl Hjörtsberg- Foreign Minister Karl Hjörtsberg
Från: Utrikesdepartmentet

Subject: Application for the International Coalition for Expansion
Ämne: Antagning till internationella kolition för utvdigning

Encryption level: Low-C3
Kryptering Nivå: Låg C3

To: The International Coalition for Expansio

Nation Name: The Federal Republic of Eslovakia
National Leader(s): President Ingrid Eslovsson
National/Most Common Religion: No state religion
Government Form: Federal Republic
Is every citizen given equal opportunities in society, regardless of race, ethnicity, religion, political views, etc.? Yes
Are the basic civil liberties and fundamental rights of LGBT citizens protected by law? Yes
Are your citizens free to practice any religion they please? Yes
Military Strength: A current Work in Progress
Main Infantry Weapon: K Ak 5, IMI Tavor TAR-21
Main Battle Tank: Panzarvagn 2
Main Fighter Plane: K-JAS-39 Gripen, K-JAS-39X Ragnarök and K42 Natteravn
Main Naval Warships: Infantry Calibers Used: 5.56x45mm NATO
Military Service Branches:

Infantry Body Armor: Individual Body Protection Gear
Are You Willing to Switch to the 6.5x39mm ICE Cartridge for Your Main Rifle?: Yes
Are You Willing to Assist in Offensive Military Operations?: Yes
List All Other Alliances You Are a Member of: n/a
Do You Want to Make a Monetary Donation to the ICE Humanitarian Branch?: Annual donation of $2.3 billion with a flexible adjustment rate of %10
Do You Want to Make a Materiel Donation to the ICEH or Peacekeeping Corps?: Yes
Are You In Need of Military Aid?: Only need access to facilities where desert and jungle warfare training is applicable.
Are You Willing to Volunteer Extreme-Climate Areas of Your Nation for Training Exercises?: Yes
If Yes, List Areas and Climate: Kebnekaise Mountain for alpine troops, Dense forests.
Other Facts You Believe ICE Should Know About Your Nation: http://iiwiki.com/wiki/Eslovakia
Membership Type: Full
RP Examples:
Fall of Light
Changing of the Guard
Sound of Thunder
Last edited by Eslovakia on Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
Some good info on Sweden
Birkaine wrote:Idiots who are not only aware of their idiocy but hell bent on keeping it regardless of how much disruption they cause deserve to eat a dick
Birkaine wrote:How about we have a thread that's just about some guy getting a back alley handjob from a New Delhi whore but we write it in such technical and obtuse language that the mods won't notice? First one to get banned loses.

Birkaine wrote:Are you seriously trying to turn this into a conversation on whether or not you're a human?
2QTBSTR8 ~ oHai thar! ~ I'm Bisexual, for LGBT rights and this is how I live my life regardless of other peoples opinions.
If you support LGBT rights, feel free to add this to your signature ~~~ヾ(^∇^)

The IASM
Senator

Founded: Jan 01, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The IASM » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:30 am

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=252018

OOC: for the thread.
HUN-01

20:22 Kirav Normal in Akai is nightmare fuel in the rest of the world.
11:33 Jedoria Something convoluted is going on in Akai probably.
Transoxthraxia: I'm no hentai connoisseur, but I'm pretty sure Akai's domestic politics would be like, at least top ten most fucked up hentais"
18:26 Deusaeuri Let me put it this way, you're what would happen if Lovecraft decided to write political dystopian techno thriller
20:19 Heku tits has gone mental
20:19 Jakee >gone
05:48 Malay lol akai sounds lovely this time of never

Arthurista
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Arthurista » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:44 am

Awesome app, Eslo :). I'm vote we accept, of course.
Last edited by Arthurista on Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Afalia
Senator

Founded: Jul 21, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Afalia » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:05 am

I second that for Eslovakia's application.

Romberg
Senator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Romberg » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:07 am

Unconditional endorsement.
Proud Member of Astyria.

Arthurista
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Arthurista » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:08 am

Just need one more Security Council vote (or IM to approve the app himself).

Graznovia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Mar 03, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Graznovia » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:44 am

Lol Romberg did you somehow summon Eslovakia?
You mentioned his K42 and bam, next post, he applies.
That said, I raise both hands in approval.

On another note, no offence, but personally I would not field a fighter without any gun armament.

Romberg
Senator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Romberg » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:47 am

Graznovia wrote:Lol Romberg did you somehow summon Eslovakia?
You mentioned his K42 and bam, next post, he applies.

:D
Proud Member of Astyria.

Itailian Maifias
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 15, 2010
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Itailian Maifias » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:08 am

@Gaveria, Welcome Aboard as ICE's 37th member

@Port Charlotte, Welcome Aboard as ICE's 38th member

@Symphonia, Welcome Aboard as ICE's 39 member

@Eslovakia, No Nords for you! I kid, welcome aboard mate as our 40th member

@Hydrowhatever, Denied.

I've gone around and updated the roster and all that jazz, let me know if you still aren't on it.

Additionally, Doppio Guidici has unfortunately perished from this world of Nationstates, which leaves us with a vacant Security Council seat. If you're interested, drop me a telegram and we'll discuss it. I should have someone appointed within the next two days at most.
The Kingdom of Hibernia [FT]| The Empire of Britain [E2] | The Kappan Dominion [SWG]
Your Local Peculiarity in the Southern Beta Quadrant
" You hypocritical Venetian bastard "
" Intentions pave a certain road, outcomes are what matter."
For Minnysota
Come here ya' Frenchie. The only Viking fan I ever liked.
For Reformed Britannia
Remember, remember the Plight of Sir Roberts
For Gibet
Vorwärts Für Immer

Gaveria
Envoy

Founded: Mar 30, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Gaveria » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:02 pm

Itailian Maifias wrote:@Gaveria, Welcome Aboard as ICE's 37th member

@Port Charlotte, Welcome Aboard as ICE's 38th member

@Symphonia, Welcome Aboard as ICE's 39 member

@Eslovakia, No Nords for you! I kid, welcome aboard mate as our 40th member

@Hydrowhatever, Denied.

I've gone around and updated the roster and all that jazz, let me know if you still aren't on it.

Additionally, Doppio Guidici has unfortunately perished from this world of Nationstates, which leaves us with a vacant Security Council seat. If you're interested, drop me a telegram and we'll discuss it. I should have someone appointed within the next two days at most.

yay. Now break out the cake and party favors.

also wouldn't mind getting you guys opinion on the first complete draft of President' Marshall's factbook page
Last edited by Gaveria on Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The official IC name is the Allied States of Aurelia
Federal Archives| Characters| Allied States Defense Force| Department of State| Map| ICE| Allied Press
I'll take a dry vodka martini, stirred not shaken. And the names' Frost, Jack Frost.
Big bad mod huffed, and they puffed and they warned me!

Port Charlotte
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 07, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Port Charlotte » Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:57 pm

I am leaving for Boot Camp, I will be back on the 21st of July.
Zephyic Civil War- Port Charlotte withdraw
Defense of Qubec- Port Charlotte Victory
Intonisian/Emexican War- Port Charlotte withdraw
Defense of Port Charlotte- Lost
THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA IS THE GREATEST NATION GOD HAS PLACED ON THIS EARTH. WE FIGHT FOR THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE AND ANSWER THE CALL OF JUSTICE WHEREVER TYRANNY REIGNS.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NationStates