NATION

PASSWORD

World Cup LXV (65) RP Thread

A battle ground for the sportsmen and women of nations worldwide. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Sangti
Ambassador

Founded: May 03, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Sangti » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:28 pm

PARTING DIARIES
MY RESOLVE

Excerpt from the diary of John Utanes, striker of the Agilang Dilaw

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

We now went to Karditan for the final game of our qualifiers against the Robber Barons. It was like going to Equestrian States all over again, as I saw horses doing the usual things a normal person can do. (However I am not that excited, since I saw horses already in the earlier fixture.) We were told to go underground, as Football is banned in Karditan. Someone told us not to tell the authorities that we are a football team; we just said,

"We are tourists."

Even in an underground stadium, their fanbase is still supportive. There is a football liberation front or something there, and since we are playing football, they let us in to the stadium. However, the match is not that good of a finish.

Three first half goals from Karditan--two from Mario Cansetta (14', 35') and Richard Bunson (40') gave Karditan a 3-0 lead at halftime. Jaime gave us a cold beating of words he carelessly chose. Our players did not whine either. In the second half, Our play got better, and I scored two on the 48th and the 71st. It was now 3-2. But the last laugh went to Cansetta, netting his hattrick at the 85th. Final score was 4-2.

We flew back to Sangti, disappointed but still spirited--the FAS has received an invitation from the authorities in Cassadaigua that Sangti is invited to participate at the Cup of Harmony. The plane landed and a press conference is held immediately.

Then I told everyone of my decision.

"I will retire from football at the end of the Cup of Harmony. I think my time is up and I should give others a chance to play for the Agilang Dilaw. But I'll give my one last shot at the Cup of Harmony. Thank you to all who supported me in my journey."

That gave Jaime some hope for the upcoming Cup of Harmony.

Last edited by Sangti on Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
THE ROYAL UNION OF SANGTI AND THE FILINDO ISLES
Region: Esportiva | Sportswire | Trigramme: TRB | Leader: TBA | Libertad Sportswear
Founder, Trofeo de Paz | Co-organizer, IUBC, International Domestic Basketball competition (with Buyan)
Winners, World Baseball Classic 29, NSCAA 6, Federation Club Cup I, Rugby Union World Cup 23 | Qualified for World Cup 68, 69 and 71
<NWW|MOC> Well, I should probably head for bead.
<+Audio> "Tuna has been extortionate since around 2007, stop complaining, jizzballs"
<SNT-FFR> Apparently, I'm not a "good" sports RPer :p
[04:20] <Glo> Ohkay...
[04:20] <Glo> So Esper is officially down
[04:20] <@commerceheights> then how are you sending this message? :P

Lymantatia
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 13, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Lymantatia » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:20 pm

A Year In The Life: Weeks 49-52
The person centered around in "A Year In The Life" is a female 14-year-old named Liselotte de Archambault (November 20, 1997-) who lives in Roselle, a town with a population of 10,000 which is near Laurentia. Liselotte's paternal ancestry starts with the Archambault noble family. She has a mother (October 22, 1964-), father (June 2, 1962-), a 14-year old sister Marguerite (March 11, 1997-) and a 22-year old brother named Alfred (March 28, 1989-).
Week 49 (December 3-December 10)
Her family goes to Connorstown.
Week 50 (December 10-December 17)
She visits the Archambault castle.
Week 51 (December 17-December 24)
Her family goes to Connorstown.
Week 52 (December 24-December 31)
She celebrates Christmas and the New Year.
Lymantatia 2–1 German-Spanish Empire
Posted at 9:00pm 2013 July 7 - We have won 2-1. Well we were close to reaching the playoffs. See you in two to four months.
Goalscorers
3 mins - Jacques Bressler (Lymantatia)
49 mins - Jacques Bressler (Lymantatia)
50 mins - Yunel Ferdinand (German-Spanish Empire)
Current Statistics
Average number of time of goals: 40 minutes
Average number of time of goals by other teams: 50 minutes
Most goals by person on Lymantatia's team: Jacques Bressler (21)
IC Time is 9:00pm 2013 July 8
Baptism of Fire 44 Round of 16, de facto retired.

Kiryu-shi
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 07, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Kiryu-shi » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:36 pm

When Reah first heard the news, she did not believe it for a moment.

It wasn’t that she didn’t believe that the Bear-Belles, as they were called, actually were able to play football.

And it wasn’t that she couldn’t believe that such a prestigious squad, with incredible success as recently as World Cup 62, would have failed to manage to win their group outright.

But… Reah had never in her life encountered a non-human life form who were, by all accounts, intelligent, and… athletic? Not that she had encountered nonathletic… animals. But it was a bit difficult to attribute the quality of athleticism to beings who wouldn’t understand what athleticism was.

And yet, here she was, preparing for a match against these Ursines. And… others.

There was, for once, Harrietta Karra o Hara, the winger, apparently some type of being related to what Reah knew as a rabbit, who was completely invisible. Who could feed the ball to Sorrkhie Torr’hay, a Tiggrahth’hrra, who were related in part to Tigers. Not that Reah had ever even see a Tiger - she had no idea what it would mean to order a defender who also had never seen a tiger to attempt to tackle the Tiggrahth’hrra player.

But still, most of the focus for Reah would have to be on the Ursines on the pitch.

For Reah, who had come to football from a distinctly medical background, who prided herself on her ability to know just about any anatomical issue that could possibly afflict her players, as well as her keen understanding of the physical limitations and capabilities of both her squad and her opponents, the Ursines seemed completely mysterious.

In the hours after the playoff draw was announced, Reah buried herself in the film room, with just her assistant Josh and the captain of the squad, Megumi Harris, in the room. Megumi, who had been working on yet another shutout to close out the qualification campaign and clinch the second place finish in their group, seemed genuinely frighted by the prospect of facing an offensive line of at least fairly five gigantic opponents attacking her net for 180 minutes over the next couple of weeks. Reah, perhaps less physically frightened, was simply attempting to familiarize herself with anything she could regarding the Bear-Belles and what they could accomplish on the football pitch. It was clear that when they were playing to the best of their capabilities, they would make for an opponent that would be more or less impossible for the Kiri to overcome. They had played some truly terrifying matches, including a couple of 5-1 matches in the first half of qualifications during which their attacking philosophy manifested itself in truly dominating ways. They had only lost twice during the entirety of qualifications, and, in matches when they were able to physically impose their will on the pitch, had looked like - well, another species playing the sport. Every time they touched the ball it seemed like it rocketed from their paws. But what was truly intimidating was the way in which a single one of them could force their way down the pitch, leaving helpless defenders in their considerable wakes.

But what interested Reah in particular was the fact that the Bear-Belles seemed to play just a little bit worse the second time they faced their opponents. The matches in the second half of qualifications seemed to be closer, and the opponents of the Bear-Belles seemed to play a little bit more cohesively and confidently. Tackling seemed just effective enough to be able to disrupt some of the attacks from the Ursines, and when the Ursines were pressured into a match that involved more long-passing and slow-developing plays, they could be kept from scoring in large amounts. And the fact that Sudagiu, a team that didn’t seem to be particularly talented, was able to keep a clean slate through both of their legs against Bears Armed seemed quite promising. Of course, those matches, at least on tape, seemed to occur when the Bear-Belles weren’t particularly playing with a strong sense of urgency, a quality that Reah couldn’t quite believe would be the case in the play-offs to qualify for the World Cup.

The stale coffee that Reah had recently become increasingly dependent on was constantly present during that one study session, and by the time the clock began to indicate that dawn may be reappearing, Josh had brought her upwards of fifteen cans of the cheapest, strongest coffee the vending machine in the hallway had to offer. While she wasn’t a fan of diuretic components of the caffeinated beverage, she had to say that she was astounded by how much more useful it seemed than the alcohol that had previously accompanied her on these study sessions.

And as Reah had finally allowed herself to collapse onto a makeshift cot that Josh had prepared for her in the film room, for the first time in a week, her thoughts were not on how much her sleep might be aided by a glass of wine…

… Instead, she had visions of 8 foot tall ursines making their way through the backs of her eyelids.
Champions: Baptism of Fire 21, Di Bradini Cup 24
Second Place: Cup of Harmony 26
Third Place: Cup of Harmony 27, Di Bradini Cup 23
Qualified: World Cup 37, World Cup 61-66

Maklohi Vai
Minister

Founded: Jan 07, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Maklohi Vai » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:45 pm

OOC: A one day break from the Klaus line, which I don't know if I'll pick back up.

“So there’s something I’d like to ask you. All of you.”

The coach stood in the front of the locker room, his players lounging on folding chairs facing him. Assistants stood around the room, watching the speech.

“How badly do you want this?”

The coach was hunched over, glaring down at his players. His polo shirt hung loosely in front of him as he bent over to speak. He paced, but not across the entirety of the room. He timed his pacing so that his biggest points came when he was in the center of the room.

“HOW BADLY? You have come here, to this World Cup, to do what? Are you here just to qualify for the Cup of Harmony? Are you here just to give another halfway decent performance?”

The players were mostly paying attention, but a few were dozing off a little. They had heard a million variations of this speech before.

“You boys have a chance, a chance to do something great. You could qualify for the World Cup proper. No team in the history of this nation has done that before. Nobody!”

Appeal to history, continue.

“Do you really understand what this would mean to people? Do you understand how much your performance affects peoples’ lives? Because it does. People in this country love this sport and this team.”

Appeal to emotion, continue.

“What else would you try for once you’re here? Why not give it all you’ve got in order to try and qualify for the World Cup?”

Appeal to logic, continue.

“Are you going to give me a performance I’ll remember? Because this is sure as hell my last chance to get it.”

Personal appea--- No, wait. That stirred them up. The players sat up straight in their chairs, looking quizzically at the coach. They knew he would clarify his statement.

“Guys, I’m retiring after this cycle. I’ve coached this team for 18 years, and I’ve had a damn good time. But I’m getting too old for this.”

*cut to news desk*
“News broke today that the coach of the Maklohi Vai national football team, Rimolanao Lomokanapai, will be retiring after this World Cup cycle. The team currently is preparing to play the first leg of a playoff qualification series against Ko-oren, which if they win would catapult them into the World Cup proper. Coach Lomokanapai has not spoken to the media yet, but the Maklohi Vai Football Association made a statement:”

“We are saddened to hear of the departure of our beloved coach, Rimolanao Lomokanapai, and we wish him well in his travels further in life. For 18 years, he has been a vital part of this national team, and his presence will be felt long after he leaves. He will guide our team well for the rest of this World Cup cycle, and then will participate in the transitional period for the new coach’s entrance.”

“When asked for plans for hiring a new coach, the FA replied,”

“We will be looking both domestically and internationally for coaching candidates.”

“No further details were given. A new coach is expected to be announced by the end of the cycle, whenever that may be for the Vaian side.”

OOC: I am indeed looking for a new coach. TG me if interested, and check the WCDT for more specific info.
"For the glory of our people, we govern our nation freely. For the glory of Polynesia, we help and strengthen our friends. For the glory of the earth, we do not destroy what it has bestowed upon us."
Demonym: Vaian
-Kamanakai Oa'a Pani, first president of Maklohi Vai
-6.13/-8.51 - as of 7/18
Hosted: MVBT 1; WBC 27; Friendly Cups 7, 9; (co-) NSCAA 5
Former President, WBC; WBC Councillor
Senator Giandomenico Abruzzi, Workers Party of Galatea
Administrator
Former:
Head Administrator
Beto Goncalves, Chair, CTA
Abraham Kamassi, Chair, Labour Party of Elizia
President of Calaverde Eduardo Bustamante; Leader, LDP
President of Baltonia Dovydas Kanarigis; Leader, LDP
President of Aurentina Wulukuno Porunalakai; Leader, Progress Coa.

Ossidiacqua
Envoy

Founded: Sep 25, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ossidiacqua » Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:10 pm

Miserabili: The musical of the Acquan World Cup 65 qualification saga
And yes, that is an excuse to visualise Grand High Cardinal Giocomo Re as Idris Elba in a Pope Hat
An increasingly shameless Les Miserables re-appropriation

SCENE SEVENTY-FIVE:
A lot has happened. Again. Re and Galileo have turned up and aren't willing to stay quiet, and Vega and Velasquez try to gee the team up ahead of their playoff matches against Paradystopia, aided by the return of Di Falco.
(Wedding Chorale/Beggars at the Feast/Finale)

[TEAM]
Focus your mind,
Upon this day of days!

May all the Acquans,
Watch us from above!

Now for the nation,
We go out to play!

And crown this,
cycle at the Word Cup!

(The chanting becomes a complex warmup of stretches, Di Falco enters, followed by Re and Galileo)

[DI FALCO]
My friends! I have returned! But, Re and Galileo have followed me to you!

[RE]
So you think, you've escaped,
Think you're living the life of the free?
I know you, I've marked your card,
You can never get too far from me.

[GALILEO]
Yes it's true, I've tracked you,
Knew you'd come crawling back to your team.
I'll keep close, don't you fear,
You are never as free as it seems.

[VEGA]
I'm aware, this I know,
Still I ran and you couldn't keep up,
I escaped, showed you up.

[RE]
When I look at you, I see the people,
They who rely on your team, who have nothing,
But I want that adoration and love, I know,
It will one day be mine!

[VEGA]
You're not loved, you are feared,
That's the way when you rule like you have.

[GALILEO]
Don't talk back, be aware,
I could set loose the grizzly bear!
You're allowed, this one time,
To stay living, you're on borrowed time.

[RE]
I'm the Grand High Cardinal!

[GALILEO]
Don't forget it, young man...

[VEGA]
If you think, I am scared,
I've faced down a few grizzly bears,
There is nought you can do!

[GALILEO]
Pity to ruin a match like this one,
It's important, we know this at least.

[RE]
We will move away now, but we're watching you.

[VEGA]
Yes it's important!--
I realised, you're both dense,
You don't know how to coach a defence!
With me gone, well what then?
You'd be stuck with a team full of men,
With no goals, with no aim,
Even Velasquez couldn't quite grab the fame.

[VELASQUEZ]
This is true, we tried so,
But the team couldn't do it alone.

[VEGA]
So you see, they need me,
Even footballing minds struggle here.

[RE]
Yes, it's true, they need you.
We'll back off and let you get prepared!--
Just don't think, this is it,
We'll not ever be out of your hair.
Come, away, time to play,
Good luck tonight, let's see how you fare...

(Vega and Di Falco go back to the players as Re and Galileo talk between them on the way out, sort of...)

[RE]
Ain't it a laugh?
Ain't it a treat?
Running the land,
The world at my feet?
Running a team,
Sounds like hard work.
Let him do the graft,
Then get all the perks.
Acquans don't you see,
Your best option is me?
Cos I'm the only Cardinal,
That you're going to see!

Master of the land, don't forget my name!
Giocomo Re's still here, it's all the same.
Sitting on my throne, sitting at the top!
Keeping down technology, know when to stop!
Keeping up with old assassins,
Some of them reached thirty-five!
But I'm the one in power,
I'm the one who'll tell 'em when to die!

[RE AND GALILEO]
Watch the Acquans dance, haven't got a clue.
They let the Magisterium tell 'em what to do!
Scared of new advance, don't know how to act.
Believing what you tell 'em, they'll assume it's fact.
We know exactly what we're doing,
Power is what we're about!
So don't forget to watch your back,
When you hear our awful shout!

(Re and Galileo leave, Velasquez leads the team talk, aided at last by Di Falco and Vega all together again.)

[VELASQUEZ]
Alone he waited in the shadows,
He counted hours, til he'd come back.
I dreamed a dream we'd qualify,
I'll do it now before I retire.
And then at the end of the day,
It will all depend on how well we play,
Take these words, my friends, to you heart,
For now we really start.--

We can play,
We can win.
Take this chance,
And we'll begin.
Pasarga,
Or Saugeais.
Will await,
Seize your fate.
Win at home,
Win at home.

[VEGA]
My friends, it's time to shine.
My friends, it's trim to triumph.
I know what you can do,
Il Colosseo's yours!

[DI FALCO](interjecting)
Keep your eyes on the prize.
For Ossidiacqua.
Beat Paradystopia.

[VELASQUEZ]
C'mon, c'mon! We'll beat them here at home!
Gives us a chance, when its time to play away.

[DI FALCO]
He's right, you know, let's seize the first attack!
We'll hit, them hard, we'll have them running back!

[VEGA]
It's you who must play out there on the pitch.
It's you who must fight for the ball.
It's thanks to you that you are here,
So go again with the ball at your feet.
Acquans, your matches kept me going,
When they arrested me,
You gave me strength from day to day,
Belief to carry on,
And now I'm home with you!

[VELASQUEZ]
Now he is here,
Again beside us.
Now we have to fight,
For now the stakes are highest.

[VEGA]
You will win, c'mon, you're going to win.
It's our time, our time to qualify!

[DI FALCO]
Yes, Vega, forbid them now to lose!
They'll obey,
They will try!
On this pitch,
You'll play with all aggression.
Play it well,
They won't know what has hit them.
It's your motive,
This tale of qualification!
Your coach escaped to help you,
Whilst I was on the run!

[VELASQUEZ]
Come with me,
Where Acquans sing and praise you.
All your fans,
Sing out, Il Colosseo.
Come on then,
I'll lead you down the tunnel.

[VEGA]
Remember, it's his last time here,
So make sure it's to glory!

[VELASQUEZ]
By my hand,
I'll strive for qualification.
This I swear,
It's been my whole vocation.

[VEGA]
And remember,
Velasquez is your captain!
Go out there, do your best!
And make the fans and I so proud!

(The team run down the tunnel to face Paradystopia, taking in and joining in with the chants of the fans)

[TEAM AND FANS]
Do you hear the Acquans sing?
Up in the stands in the Acquan night?
It is the chanting of a people,
Who are climbing to the light.
For the time it now has passed,
And we are on the edge at last.
The long wait to qualify,
Will soon be past!

We will beat Paradystopia,
In Sant'Elia, tonight!
They will not know what has hit them,
When the Acquans come to fight!
The chain will be broken,
And we will march on to the finals!

Be a part of our crusade!
Come and sing and stand with me!
Up in the stands, we are the people,
They are playing to make happy!
Say, do you hear the people cheer?
It's qualification that they want,
And what they've waited all year!

Be a part of our crusade!
Oh, the Acquans marching strong!
Somewhere in the Magisterium,
Re is scared off by our song!
Singing for victory tonight?
It is a lead we'll need to bring,
When the match comes...
The next match comes!

(The curtain falls to the sound of one man clapping)
The Former Oasirican Republic of Ossidiacqua - Pop. 87,500,000
Capital: Sant'Elia - Demonym: Acquan - Trigramme: OSD
Runner-Up: Cup of Harmony 56
"If Found, Please Return to Time and Space"
Puppet of Polar Islandstates

Pasarga
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 09, 2009
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Pasarga » Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:51 pm

Who is a little over 45 percent of the way there?

Playoff First Leg
Last edited by Pasarga on Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Qazox
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 17, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Qazox » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:07 pm

Stadii Di Bradini, Starblaydia-

It's all over but the crying, gnashing of teeth and the burning of rubberized chickens as Starblaydia held serve, beating Qazox 2-0 in the first leg of the 2-legged play-off tier. Qazox must win by 3 goals or win by an identical 2-0 score to force a shootout to get into the World Cup.

SCORING:
Calamari- 33'
Khurnos- 54'
Wikipage/Qazox National Football Team
Qualified for World Cups 31, 33, 35-50, 54-59, 61, 62. Runners-up: CoH 52
Baptism of Fire 44 (w/Mangolana); World Baseball Classics 1, 4, 5, 10, 13 and 23; World Cup of Hockey 7 and 14; World Bowls IV & IX; IBC X; Baptism of Iron III and VIII; NSCAA Tourney II, III (conferences/regionals), The OXEN Cup; the TOUR de QAZOX, Qazoxian Sports Festival and NS X-Games/Winter X-Games I.
World Cups of Hockey 4 & 6; World Baseball Classics 6, 8 and 9, World Bowls 3 and XXI; Draggonnii Inviyatii V, IBC XI
xkcd 1110 (zoomable!)

Taeshan
Senator

Founded: Aug 11, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Taeshan » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:57 pm

Taeshan
The Archregimancy

Watson
Ephraim the Grazer

Longwaters
Mark the Hairy

Lydie
Symeon the Enchained

Jaffacake
Evagrius the Imprisoned

Fasnacht
Abramios the Recluse

Pato
Eusebius the Rigorous

Juniper
Hilarion the Naked

Müller
Artemius the Unwashed

Ptolemy
Mark the Goatskin Wearer

Ibrahim
Gerasimus the New Ascetic

Wiggin
Theophilus the Wise

Subs:60' Skylar Crane for Brian Ibrahim [TAE], 71' Grant Wetter for Manny Pato [TAE], 85' Kyle Laravy for Xavier Ptolemy [TAE]

Goals: 21' Gerasmius the New Ascetic [ARC], 55' Mark the Goatskin Wearer [ARC], 89' Ender Wiggin [TAE]

There is a reason they call it the dreamed realm. Thats where all opponents dreams go to die. Heck when only 1000 fans of yours can go, and the pre match leads to aching feet that in every way lead to poor play you are gonna have a bad time. Anywho by the time the game actually roles around the team is tired, the fans are asleep and the fact that a game still has to be played is a shock. But not enough, the Knights spent the whole of the first half and much of the second half out of sorts, and really only in the late minutes did much of anything resembling the form of Taeshani soccer.

Before we talk about the game lets talk about some religious stuff. Atheism is the preeminent religion in Taeshan so as you can guess it was quite an interesting lead up to the game. Also certain members of the team, i.e the female ones (Lydie and Gloria Walters) were looked at at heathens by the monks and friars and whatever else one sees in the nation that is.

Anywho...The game was far from what the Knights needed. The only glimmer of hope was Ender Wiggin's goal in the late minutes that at least saved some face for them in the away game. With a brilliant corner kick Wiggin found the ball and headed it into the net. This goal could really help the team in the second leg as the Knights woul need to win by more than two goals to assure their way to the World Cup. Anything less than that say a 1-0 victory might create a problem, though with away goals 1-0 would be enough to help the Knights on especially with that away goal. A 2-1 game at home would really make things incredibly interesting and may well lead to penalties or something crazy for a spot in the world cup.

In other news the Knights have risen in the worlds most recent rankings. Funnily enough they now have reached their highest rank of 9, with their opponents making it to 10th. This continues to make this one of the greatest playoff matchups. Elsewhere the Knights will look to qualify cause that may very well be the best chance for the Knights to do something great. A huge chance awaits for the Knights if only they can do the deed.
Last edited by Taeshan on Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Champions - Copa Rushmori 22, Cup of Harmony 35, Di Bradini Cup 19, World Baseball Classic 13, Gridiron World Championships (World Bowl 0), World Bowl 34, World Lacrosse Championship 2

World Cup Qualifications-41, 44, 46, 59, 61(RoS), 62(Quarterfinals), 63 (RoS), 64 (Quarterfinals), 83, 84 (RoS), 85, 87

Hosts-Cup of Harmony 55, Copa Rushmori 14, Sporting World Cup 10,
Quidditch World Cup 10, World Cup of Hockey 41, World Cup 87

Quakmybush
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 14, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Quakmybush » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:17 pm

Jon Fields IV sat in the dressing room following his squad's final world cup qualifying match. The team went a somewhat disappointing 4-4-10. "At least we're back" he said to himself. He hoped the squad would earn an invite to the upcoming Cup of Harmony, but that invitation had not yet come. He knew the team had along way to go to be similar to that of his great grandfathers. They would need luck, and a large amount of effort. The talent was certainly there on the team. He knew that it would come, he hoped he would be around when Quakmybush tasted that world cup glory again. Maybe, he thought that they could even get past the second round, which his great grandfathers teams never could accomplish. Jon Fields stood up and walked towards a mirror. He looked into it and said "We will do this, we will qualify again, and become a force". With that Fields left the stadium, and prepared himself for a short vacation, knowing that either the Cup of Harmony would come calling, or he would return and hit the ground running on his training regiment, preparing to take Quakmybush back to the promise land.
Quakmybush
Qualified for World Cups 29-33, 35-41, Second Round in 32,33,39.
Champions of World Cup of Hockey 1, and 3
Hosted World Cup 33, World Cup of Hockey 2, and Women's World Cup 5

Apox
Minister

Founded: Jun 30, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Apox » Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:31 am

OOC: Some statisical analysis of qualifying, as I really can't be bothered to do match reports for 6 games! I don't mind at all if this receives negligible RP bonus!

Record - Won 13, Drawn 3, Lost 2
35 Goals For, 12 Goals Against, +23 GD

(Record includes pre-Qual friendly against NSI)
Games as Captain
Olim Benzari - 13
Jack Forster - 4

Name Caps Sub Caps
William Hewitt 9
Joe Frost 5
Ettie Seabrooke 3 1
Dan Weekes 12
Jack Forster 13
Jennie Scott 6 1
Fronden Abel 14
Hans Nielssen 12
Matthias Sindelar 7 2
Athelstan Firth 5 3
Olim Benzari 13
Fran Gracie 11
Will Fich 11 1
John Carpenter 4 4
Jack Moses 16
Fari Y 5 2
Armando Quillisi 1 4
Sammie Puskas 2 3
Marlon Vetta 6 2
Keri Ularu 14
Fred Barnett 9 2
Maxim Kolo 1 4
Tolgus Tregajorran 4 3

Goals Scored
Name Goals
Keri Ularu 10
Fred Barnett 3
Own Goal's 3
Olim Benzari 2
Marlon Vetta 2
Jenson Moses 2
Tolgus Tregajorran 2
Will Fich 2
Jack Forster 1
Matthias Sindelar 1
Fronden Abel 1
Dan Weekes 1
Hans Nielssen 1

Note: The home and away matches against Penileanium don't count as they were not counted as matches for qualifying in my RP
(hence why there are only 17 games accounted for here.)
Last edited by Apox on Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
The History of Modern NSSports internationalpost.apx (Newswire) The Apoxian Compendium
Winners: Campionato Esportiva IV, V & XVI, World T20 Championships VI, Imperial Chap Olympiad
Runners-up: CoH 58, World T20 Championships V, Campionato Esportiva XII
Third: Campionato Esportiva XIII
Fourth: Campionato Esportiva VII & XV
Baptism of Fire 50, Cup of Harmony 56, World Cup 69, World Cup 73, World Cup 82
Friendly Cups 2 & 6, World T20 Championships II, Campionato Esportiva IV, VIII, XII & XXIII, GCF Season 4, 8 & 10

Ko-oren
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 26, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ko-oren » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:04 am

"All that's left is one home game."
"Yeah.."
"What are you going to do?"
"I.. I don't know. Who knows if it all comes to an end here?"
"Of course it does."
"Oh, I thought you were talking about my career"
"I was talking about more than one thing."
"Oh"
"Have you made any decision yet?"
"I don't think so"
"Well, you have one more match to decide... or four... or more"
"It all depends, maybe I don't play well tomorrow, and it's one more game. Maybe I play great and it's four. Maybe I keep playing great and it's eight"
"But after that? You have decided to keep playing the rest of this season?"
"After that? Well, let's first end this season. We've come so far. It's not new anymore. We did it before"
"Would you rather have not qualified last season, so that you could qualify for the first time ever in your last season?"
"Maybe I would, yeah"
"I don't think I've ever heard someone say they'd rather not have qualified"
"I don't think I have, either"
"So"
"We win tomorrow, I play the World Cup. We draw tomorrow, or we lose, I have to hope for the Cup of Harmony"
"About that... Wouldn't it be great to play there and do well?"
"I don't know. Would I rather end my career after two losses and a draw on the World Cup or somewhere in the quarterfinals or even further in the Cup of Harmony"
"Choices..."
"Choices?"
"You can, after all, still fuck up tomorrow"
"I could"
"You could choose to do so. You could deliberately not qualify"
"I could deliberately not qualify."

Defensive showdown ends in 0-0
In the first of two playoff legs for a place in the World Cup, Ko-oren played 0-0 in Maklohi Vai. The Vaians, like the Ko-orenites, like a defensive style, which did not give way for a lot of goal opportunities. The last game is in the Wind Arena, Tangku, where the Greenblues will have to win in order to qualify. The Vaians are okay with a 1-1 draw, for the away goal rule has them qualify in that case. The big difference, and advantage, is the home fans. While Maklohi Vai is not that far away, the Vaians outnumbered the Ko-orenites heavily in the stadium, and we can only expect that the opposite will happen in the largest city of the south.

For the first match, it is already a relief that we did not lose. Losing the first game not just harms your chances, but also the morale and the losing team just has one chance to turn it around. After a draw, both teams feel like they have a chance, after all. Many fans probably remembered the previous playoffs, when Ko-oren played Mytannion. At the time, Ko-oren still had an underdog status, but the first game ended in 0-0 as well.

A different newspaper blocks the first one

Dehenat, 34, again rumored to quit football
Sobek Dehenat, already legendary central back for the Greenblues, has again not answered negatively or positively to the question if he quits football after this season. He was in a similar situation after last World Cup, when he thought of quitting after the first successful qualification attempt for Ko-oren.
There is another newspaper on top of this one

Ko-orenite clubs out of CC, GC, SBCC already
All clubs from Ko-oren were already eliminated from the big tournaments. Losing anywhere between the first and the last qualifying round, not even one team managed to secure a group phase spot. Actually, Fori did, but finished 4th in their SBCC group with two draws and four losses. ...
WCC and WCOH President and NS Sports' only WC, WBC, WB, WCOH, IBC, RUWC, Test Cricket, ODI, and T20 loser!

Trigramme: KOR - Demonym: Ko-orenite - Population: 27.270.096
Map - Regions - Spreadsheets - Domestic Sports Newswires - Factbooks
Champions 1x World Cup - 1x CoH - 1x AOCAF - 1x WBC - 4x World Bowl - 1x IBC - 4x RUWC - 3x RLWC - 2x T20 WC - 1x AODICC - 2x ARWC - 1x FHWC - 1x HWC - 1x Beach Cup
Runners-up 1x World Cup - 3x CAFA - 1x AOCAF - 1x WBC - 3x World Bowl - 1x WCoH - 4x IBC - 2x RUWC - 1x GCF Test Cricket - 1x ODI WT - 2x T20 WC - 1x FraterniT20 - 1x WLC - 1x FHWC
Organisation & Hosting 2x WCC President - 1x WCOH President / 1x BoF - 1x CAFA - 1x World Bowl - 1x WCOH - 2x RUWC - 1x ODI WT - 1x T20 WC - 1x FraterniT20 - 1x ARWC - 1x FHWC - (defunct) IRLCC, BCCC, Champions Bowl

Ossidiacqua
Envoy

Founded: Sep 25, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ossidiacqua » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:27 am

Miserabili: The musical of the Acquan World Cup 65 qualification saga
And yes, that is an excuse to visualise Grand High Cardinal Giocomo Re as Idris Elba in a Pope Hat
An increasingly shameless Les Miserables re-appropriation

REVIEWS AND AUDIENCE PRAISE

After the triumphant end of the seven hour epic that is Miserabili, we congregated outside the entrance to the theatre to gauge how well it went down with the paying public, and ask them what they thought of the production...

"...was that it? That was the end? I can't believe you've kept me here for the best part of seven hours to watch a production that finishes before the last match of qualifying. I need closure, dammit! What happened in the second leg?! I invested time into that thing, I need the outcome! That's seriously the end? There's no encore? Goddammit...
Filipo Vaccino"

"I blame the parents.
Vincenzo Giacometti"

"Well, where to start? The dialogue was awkward and ill-thought out, and the songs were lifeless and hackneyed. The performances of Vega and Re in particular seemed incredibly hammed up, and the tepid performances from the rest of the cast only served as to emphasise that fact. The delivery overall was limp and lifeless, and by the time you got to scene forty you were beginning to notice that the actors and actresses had been drinking backstage. I wish I could have joined them on hitting the booze - it might have made it bearable. Only my professional integrity as a theatre critic stopped me walking out after the first hour. That, and the crossbow aimed at my head by an assassin...
Luca D'Empoli"

"You took me out of a whole day at the office for that? I actually feel quite bilious. In fact, can I stop you there? I've got to go, I'm actually feeling pretty queasy...
Esteban Nova"

"Deus ex machina, I thought it'd never end... I was clean shaven when we started!
Maria Sanchez"

"Marginally better than silence.
Alicia Defederico"

"Where were the titties? I was specifically told there would be gladiator fights, gratuitous nudity, live murders, and hot girl-on-girl action. Furious... 6/10, would watch again.
Patricio Malvolio"

"Lawsuit.
Victor Hugo, Claude-Michel Schönberg, and Herbert Kretzmer"
Last edited by Ossidiacqua on Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Former Oasirican Republic of Ossidiacqua - Pop. 87,500,000
Capital: Sant'Elia - Demonym: Acquan - Trigramme: OSD
Runner-Up: Cup of Harmony 56
"If Found, Please Return to Time and Space"
Puppet of Polar Islandstates

Blouman Empire
Post Marshal

Founded: Sep 05, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Blouman Empire » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:48 am

THE EMPIRE TIMES

Important Win For Eagles

The Eagles managed to win their first playoff game against Kinitaria beating the visiting side 4-2 in front of a packed home crowd putting them in a good position to qualify for the World Cup. The game started off with much fan fare as the team walked onto to the pitch to thunderous applause from the fans as Blouman flags waved all around the stadium and the fans were rewarded for their support in the 10th minute as Baden Lakes opened the scoring with a solid hit 20 yards out. Kinitaria ensured they wouldn't be a walk over and quickly picked up their game as the challenged the Blouman back line, Dalča Nurmanov took the first shot for his side but it flew straight into Solomon's arms. As both sides traded attacks neither seemed to be able to be successful, a shot from Robert Schmitz got past Costin Petran but failed to get past the post hitting it on the wrong side and bouncing out of play. Towards the end of the first half Nurmanov side stepped Hamish Aplin and charged down towards the goal, chipping Solomon he scored a goal for Kinitaria leveling the score line at the break.

The second side started much the same way as the first with both sides putting strong attacks but also with equally strong defensive moves that succesfully blocked those attacks. Kinitaria scored again in the 61st minute as a corner kick sailed high into the box midfielder Kristijan Preda rose above the pack and headed it in giving his side the lead. It wasn't long before the Eagles got one back as a counter attack proved successful allowing Schmitz to score his first for the day placing it in the bottom right corner. This was quickly followed up from the kick off as the Eagles regained possession and with some superb passing amongst the forwards Schmitz scored his second as he let the ball fly curving it into the goals. Kinitaria fought back relentlessly attacking goals attempting to bring the scores even again, however, Solomon had found his form and easily saved a number of shots. A goal by George Cardol thanks to a low cross by Andrew Lambert in the 89th minute sealed the game for the Eagles giving them a two goal advantage. As the minutes for extra time slowly ticked on the crowd began to sing "Beautiful Home" until the final whistle as they broke out in cheers knowing that the Eagles were that much close to World Cup glory.

Captain Baden Lakes was ecstatic as he spoke to the media after the game "Today we showed what we are capable of, I believe we can now make it to the World Cup, the next game will be tougher as they will be wanting the win but we have beaten them today and we will beat them again". Lakes also thanked the crowd "Always good to have a home crowd that is supporting you it makes the difference when playing a though opponent I really want to thank them for their efforts today". Their entire campaign now comes down to the final game, the team will know that everything they have worked for up to this point will count for nothing if they suffer a big defeat in the second game. With the Eagles winning tonight they will be determined more then ever to ensure they make it to the World Cup.
You know you've made it on NSG when you have a whole thread created around what you said.
On the American/United Statesian matter "I'd suggest Americans go to their nation settings and change their nation prefix to something cooler." - The Kangaroo Republic
http://nswiki.net/index.php?title=Blouman_Empire

DBC26-Winner

The Archregimancy
Game Moderator

Founded: Aug 01, 2005
Democratic Socialists

Postby The Archregimancy » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:16 am

Dear Purple Knights of Taeshan,

A copy of your recent match report regarding the first playoff match between the Archregimancy and your squad reached our offices here in the Monastic Republic, and we would like to gently correct some misconceptions that have appeared in your media.

While we realise that the pre-match liturgy can be a burden on visitors, we deny that "the fans are asleep" once the match gets underway. While this may be true for visiting fans, any monks in attendance are most likely in an advanced state of hesychastic prayer. This may appear to be 'sleep' to visitors, but is in fact a process of meditative prayer.

The female members of your squad such as Miss Walters are not looked upon as 'heathens' just because they are women. On the contrary, women hold a high place of honour in the Archregimancy; the blessed Mother of God was, after all, a woman. It is only because the entire Monastic Republic republic is dedicated to the Most Holy and Pure Theotokos that we tend to discourage other women from visiting. Furthermore, we do not regard the atheist members of your team as 'heathens', as we reserve the latter term for non-Christian religious beliefs. The atheists are merely atheists.

The abbreviation "Fr." stand for "father", not "friar". "Friars" are Roman Catholics who are beholden to the heretical and schismatic Pope of Rome, and we assure you that none are resident in our nation, and that none play for the national football team - though individual friars have been known to occasionally visit the Archregimancy for theological discussions.

We would like to congratulate you on your recent rise to 9th in the World Cup rankings. It is not for us to question why God should so bless you, and we would note that under the modified universal salvation taught by St. Maximus Confessor, it is entirely possible for the good atheist to achieve salvation should God so choose.

Finally, as Fr. John the Golden-Throated wittily pointed out in his radio broadcast, you should not be downheartened by the loss; after all we've been "eating Jaffacakes for breakfast here in the Dreamed Realm before this lot of atheists were even born".

We look forward to the second playoff leg in your God-forsaken nation with anticipation,

Yours in Christ,

The Monastic Football Association +

Sandwich Territories
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Sandwich Territories » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:48 am

SBC SPORTS

Turori Best the Sandwich FA 1-0; Royals Look Forward to 2nd Match

OLD CRUSTVILLE- Ematea Saenu bowed out on a victorious note as The Eels (Turori) finished the first match with a 1-0 win over the Sandwich Territories FA at Le Stade de Triumph on Monday. The result consigns Sandwich FA to the hot seat after the fact that they are the lowest ranked team in the playoff matches. Liinai Zakazaka scored the only goal in the game in the first half, after good work by 21-year-old Klaillal Tuirma.

There was almost a fairytale moment when the retiring Patrick Ward thundered a 35-yard effort against a post after the break. The veteran midfielder "co-captained", so to say, the Sandwich FA in his final appearance before calling time on a career spanning 17 seasons in the Sandwich Premier League. Jackson Barnes returned to the starting XI, and Nevil Logan came in for his first appearance. Sandwich made three changes as 20-year-old Eric Evans replaced Patrick Ward, while Kevin Williams and Jacob Johnson replaced Remi Ferdinand and Markus Smith respectively.

Turori might have had the lead in the second minute when Liinai Zakazaka met a Rutaj Ranaso corner on the left-hand side of the box but his header was parried by Tolliver Ments at the line.

Liinai Zakazaka continued to cause the away side problems as he cut in from the left but his low goal-bound effort was deflected wide by Ments, but the Turori forward got his reward in the 23rd minute. Klaillal Tuirma found space on the left touchline, before cutting in and laying the ball to the 30-year-old, who drove a low shot into the bottom left-hand corner of the goal from 25 yards.

The Sandwich FA were seeing little of the ball, but could have equalised as Zach Banks fired into the side netting and Devin Alton just failed to get on the end of Marc Wade's cross with the goal gaping.

The second half continued as the first ended with the Eels creating plenty of chances, including a Jukkia Diijelhma effort from the left that went just beyond the far post. Vrotaoa Lorasoiba was the next to go close for Turori, bursting inside two defenders on the right of the area but, on his weaker foot, could only drive into the side-netting.

Cediici Tzatzos was being urged to shoot on every occasion by the Turori fans and obliged in the 62nd minute when he hit a rasping 35-yard drive towards goal, only to see it cannon back off the right-hand post with Ments beaten. Turori searched for a second, and came close when Lorasoiba's strike from the right was blocked by Roberts with Ments stranded.

At the 85th minute of play, the game came to a halt momentarily, as Patrick Ward was walking off of the pitch, with cheers comming from all four sides of the ground. The midfielder's exit was the last event of note in Sandiwch's team efforts for tonight, as they saw out the game to give some players experience, and plan for the next match.

Sandwich manager Max Bellerd: "Patrick Ward's ambition was always when he left Sandwich to go out on top and you see in the guy today he did that. He nearly scored a fantastic goal, just his all-round game he's going out as a top, top player. He could still play another year. He has been absolutely phenomenal for me in my time here. You see today his organisational skills, his quality, his leadership was first class. I am really delighted for him because he wanted to finish the game with a win. He has been a big part of 16 clean sheets for us in international matches, which is a great achievement so we know we are only margins away from being a decent side. We need to add some players in summer but unfortunately one of those will have to come in to replace the likes of Pat who has been an absolute colossal player for this club."

Max Bellerd also had this to add: "There are some changes needed in the summer if we are going to make a larger challenge next year that's for sure. I am too old to have aggravation every day of my life with players so I think I would like to keep most of the players, if not all of them. It is no good saying we are a bad team - you don't finish this if you are a bad team. That being said, we have been somewhat lucky all tourney, short of that little bit of quality that is needed to keep going. I don't have to get a squad together; I already have a group together that do it week-in, week-out to try and get us further into the World Cup. It will be difficult, but we will have a go next World Cup. We've got no divine right to come straight back up to where we are now. We'll have to work hard. I've inherited a group with some good professionals. That has been the reason to why we have gotten to this point today. Lots of them get up more than early enough to get to training on time. One player's donated more than he earns and he earns enough."

Whatever the case, the team surely has it's work cut out for them tonight.

EDIT: Had to fix the caps on the article's title.....twice.
Last edited by Sandwich Territories on Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
Member of Kennan
Kennan Diplomat to The South Pacific

Ranked 58th in the World Cup Rankings
Total Olympic Medal Count: 1 (Silver)
Reimsburgh Blues Season 1 KHL Champions
Commissioner of the Kennan Hockey League and the Kennan Premier League
Original Member of the AAFL/AAFA
Reimsburgh Tech Mariners in NSCF
Host of the SBC Bowl, and the Kazarian Cup

Saintland
Senator

Founded: Dec 22, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Saintland » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:48 am

Economy

The King's Government of Saintland refers to their economic system as a "3rd way" between capitalizm and socialism. That is, actually, a relatively accurate description of the economy of Saintland. Saintland's economy is certainly not a capitalizt system like that of the Free Republics, but neither is it socialism. Instead, it is a 3rd way system where the Royal Family and the Church possess most of the wealth of the nation, in addition to all of the power. The Sanctii economy combines the economic inequality of capitalizm with the economic authoritarianism of socialism. It is a system that combines the least popular elements of both systems into one.

Saintland has traditionally been a primarily agricultural society. Even in the present day, farms make up an important portion of Saintland's economy. The agricultural sector has become increasingly automated and as it has become increasingly automated, Royal Farms has bought up more and more farmland. Due to the cold climate in Saintland, it is difficult to grow many crops, but the Sanctii still manage to grow a few crops in spite of their short growing season. Fish and livestock remain major staples of the Sanctii agriculture economy. Even today, it is relatively common for villagers to own livestock and it isn't even unheard of for residents of the cities to own livestock. Many Sanctii are self-employed, even today, as fishermen.

Saintland has a nearly 200 year history of industry, although it has always been relatively small-scale. Saintland has exported relatively little in the way of industrial goods, preferring to keep goods they produce within their own borders. With the limited population of Saintland, which was much more limited in past generations, the Kingdom of Saintland has not developed much of an industrial economy.

There is a limited textile industry in Saintland, which uses wool, flax and silk to produce clothing. Flax is one of the more popular non-food crops grown in Saintland, due to its compatibility with the climate. King Paulus I, the first King of Saintland, had brought his silk worms with him when he fled to Saintland and the Royal Family of Saintland has cultivated silk, which was traditionally only worn by the King and the nobility. One of the reforms of King Josephus X was to legalize the wearing of silk by everybody and encourage the expansion of the silkworm population.

As Saintland industrialized, construction began on a network of railroads owned by the Royal family. The railroads linked the cities and towns of Saintland together, making travel throughout the Kingdom fast and easy. The railroads have been upgraded a number of times. Most recently, they were updated to high-speed rail. Now, it is possible to travel across Saintland with relative speed. When King Paulus XV banned private ownership of automobiles, there was very little opposition to the move. Few Sanctii had even bothered to own automobiles, due to the high prices.

Still, industry never really took off in Saintland, as Sanctii industries were considered second-rate compared to products from the neighboring Federation of Free Republics. Industry would remain a fairly minor portion of the economy of Saintland. Even today, the Kingdom of Saintland does not have much in the way of industry and what industry they do have is primarily geared toward fulfilling demand within Saintland.

Saintland has benefited immensely from their complete absence of intellectual property legislation. With centuries of experience spying on foreign nations and copying their technologies, even before the advent of patents, the Kingdom of Saintland already had a highly advanced network of industrial spies before the rest of the world even knew that they existed. Saintland's spies travel the world, seeking blueprints from patent offices. Upon finding blueprints of original inventions, they make copies of them and send the copies to the King's Government. The King of Saintland personally examines every new technology and decides whether or not it should be adopted.

Presently, Saintland is in the process of trying to create a strong information economy. Sanctustube is just one of the examples of this effort. Although many people have this perception that Sanctustube is just a heavily censored Internet video site filled with Church of Saintland propaganda, it is actually one of the leading piracy havens on the Internet. By offering all of the popular television programs from around the world, to viewers outside of Saintland, Sanctustube is able to draw a large foreign audience. By drawing a large foreign audience, Sanctustube can sell ads to foreign advertisers. The sheer number of multinational enterprises that advertise on Sanctustube is truly massive.

Another attempt at developing an information economy for Saintland is the handheld game console called the Saint. Saintland completely missed the boat on smartphones and the Princes of Saintland are unable to correct that mistake, as King Paulus XV is apparently firmly convinced that nobody wants a cell phone that does more than make and receive phone calls. In a market without smartphones, the Saint is heavily marketed around its smartphone-style Internet apps that permit Sanctii to remain connected at all times. The launch of SaintBook, a social networking service run entire through the Saint, was rather unexpected given the government of Saintland's concerns about social networking, but that also is a major selling point for the Saint. However, the Saint was also designed to sell internationally, where there is demand for a handheld game console that produces life-like experiences.

Much of Saintland's economy is owned by the Royal Family. If you want a telephone in Saintland, you have to get service through Royal Telephone. If you want to access the Internet, your only choice is Royal ISP. If you want to watch TV, your only options are the five Royal Networks, numbered Royal One through Royal Five. Cable and satellite television are non-existent in Saintland. The health care industry is completely nationalized and the education industry is run by the Church of Saintland, which is a governmental body in all but name, with the sole exception of the foreign resident schools. Increasingly, farmland is being bought up by the Royal Family. The rail industry is completely owned by the Royal family, as is every form of transportation.

Each Royal enterprise is run by a different member of the Royal family. Since Saintland defines a "Royal" as anybody who is descended from a King of Saintland, through an entirely paternal line, there are numerous distant members of the Saintland Royal Family that control their own business enterprise. Although the King is the head of the Royal Family and legally owns all of the family's wealth, he effectively permits his siblings and cousins to continue using his property. This is why the Royal Family of Saintland is so wealthy, compared to the remainder of the nation.

As has likely become clear to our readers by now, Saintland is a nation where the Royal Family effectively secure for themselves the benefits of being on the right side in both capitalizm and socialism. This produces an economic system that enriches the royal family, while undermining the nation's economic strength and the living standards of the people. At one time, the common people of Saintland were serfs and had to answer to a lord. Today, they are effectively still serfs in all but name, but instead of answering to nobility they answer to royalty. Such is the way the economy works in Saintland.

OOC: I'm currently struggling to find the motivation to RP, so this emergency draft I had saved will have to do. Maybe I'll add to this later or maybe not.
Why I left NS Sports
NS Sports Results | Saintland Press | Commentaries on the WA's resolutions 7-22-14 update: Complete through #125 |
World Baseball Classic 27 co-host | World Bowl XXII host | World Cup of Hockey 23 host | Various Rankings | King Paulus XV Memorial Games
Official Name: Regnvm Sanctvsterra
Official Name in English: Kingdom of Saintland
Monarch: King Paulus XVI
Demonym: Sanctii
Trigram: SNT

Albaie
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 15, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Albaie » Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:52 pm

Deberen was in the car back from the airport to his house. His sons had gone out for drinks with the team and he drove in silence. The phone started to ring. He looked down and saw the Imperial Flag on his Iphone. He pressed the button for the incar phone. " Deberen." The voice of the Emperor flooded his car.
" Yes sir " He replied almost straight away.
" I just phoned to say well done in the World Cup for our first time it was really good and some good performances. Unlucky in the Under 15 World Cup as well your son looked very good I am sure he will come through well. I had us signed up our regional tournament and I would like you to carry on with your staff, I also am having 50 million Eire pumped into you transfer money for Dubrack's Town to say thanks. I will speak more tommorow and good luck with the Esportiva cup. " Said the Emperor and Deberen smiled and relaxed in his chair all was good.
Emperor Michael II Dubrack Dubracksson his most catholic majesty, the papal gentlemen, Crusher of the Republic. Emperor of Albaie islands, New Albaie, Rutenburg, Petrelle, Dubracksland-Newfoundland, Leifson-Newfoundland, Dubracksland, Firecount, Wetern, Retu, Tere, Ilop, Yerekn, Tenke and Hurte.
Crown Prince Dubrack Dubrack Dubracksson
Rated AAA by InterHoh Orginzation
King of the Nationstates Loyalist Resistance Army
Embassy Thread

Paradystopia
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 10, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Paradystopia » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:28 pm

Pre-YS: No way! They cut me off ... That's just down right rude.
JW: It is slightly, but what is this place? Seems rather nice ...
YS: I know this place! It's the bar I mentioned!
Pre-JW: The what?
JW: The one in Aflyannafleeinnaflu?
Pre-YS: Yeah. This place rocks.
YS: Totally.
Pre-JW: I'm still lost ...
JW: Yapper said we should go here after I, err ... we? ... said I needed a stiff drink.
Pre-JW: Yeah, I could do with something potentially lethal to calm my nerves
JW: I know dude, I was there.
Pre-YS: So what's everyone drinking?
JW: Something strong. Very strong.
Pre-JW: I'll have a double of what he's having ...
YS: A salmon whisky on ice for me
Pre-JW: Salmon whisky?
Pre-YS: Yeah, well, you know whisky is made with fermented grain? We worked out how to do it with salmon. It's really nice.
JW: I'll pass.
Pre-YS: Okay. Back in a sec.
Pre-JW: Do you think this place will have the football results?
JW: Oh yeah, I nearly forgot ...
YS: Should do, unless the children's poetry contest is on ...
Pre-JW: What?
YS: The kids poetry contest. It's a big thing here and seeing as the Lymryk Isles aren't in the World Cup ... well, no-one cares about the football ...
JW: Seriously ... it's like the biggest thing in Multiversal sports
YS: Yeah, but poetry's more interesting
Pre-JW: So ... is it on?
YS: Not sure. I think it's this week ...
Pre-YS: Hey guys ... Check it out! The Poetry contest is on!
JW & Pre-JW: What the fuck ...
YS: Awesome!
JW: Yapper?
YS & Pre-YS: Yes?
JW: Err ... I just need one of you guys ...
YS: Ok, I'll watch the poetry.
Pre-YS: Wassup James?
JW: Could I borrow the time-travel device?
Pre-YS: But you'll miss the poetry.
JW: It's a risk I'm willing to take.
Pre-YS: Ok. I suppose.
JW: Cool. Thanks. James? You coming?
Pre-JW: I thought you'd never ask.
JW: Later dudes.
Pre-JW: Yeah. Adios.
Pre-YS: Don't they like poetry?
YS: I guess not. Their loss.
Pre-YS: Indeed
ðe Pantiſsokratik Mayrittoghraſye of Paradyſtopia
Demonyme: Paradyſtopi
Capittel Sitee:Newetoun
Baysed y': Eſporteve (Esportiva)

Officially the NSRB's Vulgar Person, or whatever 'VP' means ...

Starblaydia
Game Moderator

Founded: Apr 05, 2004
Father Knows Best State

Postby Starblaydia » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:20 pm

The pure white shirt was held up in front of him, pristine in every respect. Not a single mark, crease or single thread out of place. Two large digits were embroidered - not thermally printed, but machine embroidered - on the right breast as it faced him. It could have represented 2, or the letter A, but his base was somewhere in between those, and its presence felt natural to him. He had that many fingers and that many toes, after all. Maybe that meant something. His eyes moved up and to the right, to the stark set of small purple intersecting lines. There were either four laid across each other, or anything up to ten of them jutting out from a central point before branching off. A complex string of lines and curves was below them, and it meant something to him, too, but he didn't really read it.

ediraf

Now his eyes were distracted by a golden light, burning into his mind. Geometic shapes formed around it as it bathed him in it's glory. Stars, he thought to himself, in purple and black. They surrounded a being of law and love and light, of gently flapping wings and a proud, noble head. It turned to look at him and, as it did so, five small stars shone into being above its head.

It stared at him. Stared through him.

The eagle was conveying a message to him that he didn't understand and couldn't possibly decipher. Its gaze was so intense, with so much meaning that he failed to grasp even the simplest of its insistent projection. The eyes darkened to blacker than black.

But no, they weren't getting darker; it was just contrast. It was everything else that was getting brighter. It was almost the same golden light as before, but it brought with it a fierce heat that blistered the skin and sloughed blackened flesh from charred and cracked bone. His vision was aflame and he stepped back, trying to shield his eyes.

Slowly the flames became localised. What he had not noticed before was an immense black shape, again a simple geometric one with four equal sides at alarming and sinister angles. One entire half of it, the left half as he looked, was burning. The other half was the black obsidian that drunk in the light, barely even reflecting the tongues of fire as they licked up into the air before burning out, replaced by a new one.

The shirt was gone, the eagle rushed towards him. Dizzyingly fast, it was upon him in a moment. Through him and over him and around him, the burning, dying eagle enveloped him and took him away. Far, far away. Yet he was still left behind with the black shape half on fire, half immovable.

He heard the eagle's cry off in the distance, right inside the centre of his mind. The eyes opened.

Simeone shot bolt upright in his bed, a cold sweat across his entire body. He assumed he'd woken with a shout, but bar his own heavy breathing and the feeling of his heart pounding within his chest, there was nothing in the room with him, just the usual items and furniture in his dark bedroom. He sighed heavily.

"It's starting."
Last edited by Starblaydia on Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Six-Time World Cup Committee President (WCs 25-33, 46-51 & 82*)
Co-host of World Cups 20, 40 & 80 • Di Bradini Cup Organiser
World Cups 30, 63 & 83 Runner-Up • World Cup 27 Third Place • 25th Baptism of Fire Runner-Up
Seven-Time AOCAF Cup Champions • Two-time U21, One-Time U18 WC Champions • Men's Football Olympic Champions, Ashford Games
Five-Time Cherry Cup Champions • 1st Quidditch World Cup Champions • WGPC8 Drivers' Champion
The Protectorate of Starblaydia
Commended by WA Security Council Resolution #40
Five-Time NS World Cup Champions (WCs 25, 28, 41, 44 & 47)

Kiryu-shi
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 07, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Kiryu-shi » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:58 pm

It would all be over soon.

To be perfectly honest, a playoff exit was more than what Reah had dared to hope for during long stretches of qualifications. But that didn’t much help her current mood. Despondent might be one word for it. Hopeless.

It was simply too much to strategize for; when the Bear-Belles were on their game, there was no way that Reah could see to stop their aggressive attack long enough to successfully mount good, high quality challenges on the other end of the pitch. It took a miraculous effort by Megumi Harris to prevent even more goals from scoring, as she was responsible for 8 saves on shots on goal, and another few fantastic plays to take the ball away on a couple of crosses.

But it hadn’t been enough. The first half had been brutal, as the Kiri had come out ridiculously tentative following the harrdiharr, and never managed to get their feet under them properly. By the time the whistles blew to mark the end of the 45 minutes, the team looked defeated. It wasn’t physical - although there were certainly a few bigger bruises than usual from a couple of attempted tackles that didn’t go too well - it was a look in the eyes of many of the players. The young ones especially, the midfielders that Reah had decided to place on the team despite a perceived lack of mental and physical toughness, the possibility that they wouldn’t be mature enough to handle themselves at the international level; they looked like they would not be able to go on.

Reah was extremely happy that the Ursine nation had been able to put the Kiri up in such a nice hotel. By all accounts, it was new, and their hosts certainly didn’t seem like they had held back at all with the accommodations. While the travel was a bit of a hassle, having to connect by rail through the nation of Mikitivity, it had worked its way out reasonably enough, and now, at three in the morning Ursine time, Reah found herself on the balcony of her room, looking out over the Bears Armed night. She knew a bit about the nation itself from a brief meeting she’d had with the foreign affairs advisor. Apparently it was a fairly militaristic nation, and there were even army camps not too far from the grounds where they’d be playing in the morning. And the stadium itself was built on what used to be part of a military base. The thought sent a slight shiver down her spine.

The air was pleasant, falling on the cooler side of the spectrum, as Reah looked towards Wimbley Stadium, the sight of her potential last match as head coach of the Kiri. It seemed relatively non-intimidating from this distance, without it being fully lit up. There seemed to be enough lights to make out the general structure of the building, but she couldn’t see many of the details. Like any of Kiryu-shi’s away matches this campaign, there would likely be many seats reserved for fans of the Kiri, but likely no Kiryu-shi individuals participating as fans. To say that Reah wasn’t optimistic about their chances tomorrow would be understating things significantly. She just didn’t have the man-power to stand up to the Ursines, and she couldn’t think of a single way to figure out how to field a successful team.

Reah glanced down from her balcony to the grounds below, where it seemed as if the few guests who had been occupying the beautiful walkways had gone to sleep. They were still lit up, but she couldn’t see any movement coming from them at all. She briefly considered strolling down there now that it seemed empty, but she didn’t quite want to run into any unsuspecting Ursines if she could avoid it. The males, who she hadn’t really seen close up during the previous match, were even more striking than their female counterparts, and she wasn’t looking forward to encountering another until she absolutely had to.

She turned away from the balcony, suddenly struck by a moment of grief. Her moment of glory, the one time in her life during which she was not a supporting member, the one time when she was not only listened to, but obeyed… She could not think of a way in which it would not come to an end tomorrow. There hadn’t been any official word, of course, but it was obvious that she would be the perfect fall-woman for a public that expected the Kiri to make it to the World Cup. That had been the plan all along, she suspected. And she had ignored it, committed to playing to win, overcome a dismal start to qualifications to make it this far, but in the end she’d be playing into exactly what the administration that had appointed her had wanted. A mediocre selection of a mediocre coach to lead the Kiri to mediocrity. She and her staff were puppets, nothing more, nothing less.

Reah sank onto the mattress, grateful for its size. She could feel small here. She could feel what was close to nothing…

When Reah was at a loss for words during half time of the first leg, it had been Megumi and Enéh who had led the pep talk. Enéh in particular spoke with a passion that Reah knew she would never possess. It was spoken with a fighter’s menace, a deep and burning anger that was the result, she knew, of years of being considered not quite good enough, not the striker that her potential should had let her be. The passion that came with the knowledge that this would likely be her last chance to make a name for herself on the world’s biggest stage. And it had been Enéh who held the point of attack for the Kiri, and it was her magnificent goal late in the game that had drawn the deficit down to a single goal. But it was too little, too late. No matter how well Enéh played, they were playing at the Bears Armed, at Wimbley, in front of a terrifying crowd against an opponent who physically outclassed the Kiri at every step.

As incredible as the performance of Megumi and Enéh were, Reah knew she’d be unable to think of a way to win by enough points to take the aggregate victory away from the clutches of the Ursines.

Reah closed her eyes in the bed, hoping that sleep would grasp her within it’s arms eventually, as futile as the desire may have been. Every breath was long and deep, but the images inside her head would not stop flashing by. It was a whirlwind of activity, from the moment she got a letter in the mail indicating she was being considered for selection to the Kiryu-shi National Football Program Head Coach position, the interviews she’d been through during the hiring process, the first time she’d auditioned players for her squad, the late night meetings with her staff, the first time she sat down on the sideline for an international match…

Would it seem like a dream the day after tomorrow, when it was all over?
Champions: Baptism of Fire 21, Di Bradini Cup 24
Second Place: Cup of Harmony 26
Third Place: Cup of Harmony 27, Di Bradini Cup 23
Qualified: World Cup 37, World Cup 61-66

Turori
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 03, 2004
Democratic Socialists

Postby Turori » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:15 pm

Eels Joint Top, Headed to Playoffs
7th Straight Shutout not enough

Turori Eels head coach Ematora Saenu has certainly sorted out the defensive side of the ball for the Turori Eels after their disappointed 2-3 Home defeat to Darmen on Matchday 11 in which the Eels conceded 3 goals - half of their entire total for all of World Cup 65 qualifying leading up to that point.

No goals have gone in since, including the 1-0 Matchday 18 victory over lowly Albaie with the winner scored in the 43rd minute by Jukkia Diijelhma.

The victory was the Eels 7th straight, every single match since the Darmen defeat. Each victory in the streak has been a shutout for the Eels who were able to boast one of the top 5 defensive records at the end of qualifying. However, an early defeat to Thatius and an inability to break even in matches against Darmen have relegated the Eels to the Playoff Stage of the World Cup 65 finals despite finishing the campaign level on points with group winners and new sporting and political rivals, Darmen.

Throughout their low-scoring shutout streak, the play of the Turori defense, led by Yoains Konoaafeo, has been absolutely Stellar. While typically the credit and praise for a shutout streak lies with the goalkeeper, one can not overlook the defensive contributions to ensuring that Turoki Tide goalkeeper Hooizo Nuakoi, present for all 7 of the Eels most recent victories and a total of 10 throughout the 18 match qualifying campaign, had little to do to achieve the feat.

The Turori National Team finished the World Cup 65 qualifying campaign with a record of 15 wins, 1 draw and 2 defeats for a total of 46 points over the 18 match stretch. The Eels accrued more points than any other team that failed to automatically book their ticket to the Rushmori World Cup 65 in Pasarga and Saugeais, and in a super table of all teams that attempted to Qualify (200), the Eels would have placed 7th overall, level with Darmen and Gyatso-Kai.

But now, the Playoffs await for an Eels side filled with both Experience and youth, and really not so much inbetween. A two legged match against the upstart Sandwich Territories, who punched above their weight to finish in the Runner-Up position behind Osarius in Group 11, is all that now stands between the Turori National Team and a return to the World Cup Finals.

Turori Goalscorers::
43' Jukkia Diijelhma

Turori Eels Lineup ::
[GK] Hooizo Nuakoi, [D] Lioniaa Tana, [D] Diauro Dlaminii, [D] Yoains Konoaafeo, [UT] Restiaa Mumamba, [ML] Cediici Tzatzos, [MC] Rutaj Ranaso, [MC] Vrotaoa Lorasoiba, [MR] Raso Tareak, [FC] Liinai Zakazaka, [FC] Jukkia Diijelhma
BENCH::
[FC] Loala Kigoouao, [FC] Anuh Ciniima, [M] Aaron Gibbons, [M] Etamara Kulkkiia, [UT] Mumau Atla-Siioai, [D] Moia Fliporta, [GK] Ronji Miiastara

Last edited by Turori on Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<Silexhera> Why does Turori make sense? :p

Jeruselem
Minister

Founded: Antiquity
Democratic Socialists

Postby Jeruselem » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:25 pm

Princess Katy, Princess Melody and Michelle Salad

Katy: This is Princess Katy for Naked News Jeruselem. I'm with the Jeru FC and Jeruselem coach at the moment, but there's a big announcement today from both coaches.
Melody: Hello everyone, yes I have a big announcement
Michelle: Me too
Katy: Who's going to start?
Melody: You go first fruity
Michelle: I'm quitting the World Cup scene because I'm too old and my health is not good. I'll be coaching locally but I can't cope with all the travel.

Katy: So the recently health scare is the big factor
Michelle: Actually getting a grandkid is
Katy: I'm not surprised you've been not very well of late
Michelle: I can't handle the stress anymore, my body isn't up to it
Katy: So sis, what about you?
Melody: Well, I'm quitting the Jeru FC position

Katy: Health reasons?
Melody: No, I've had enough of people stealing money from my team and treating them like trash
Katy; Big call sis, you've tried hard with the team
Melody: Yes, I can't take anymore of that. I do my best but management are undermining everything
Katy: Retiring?
Melody: No way, I have plenty to offer.

Katy: Your assistant is taking the team to the CoH?
Melody: Yes, I have a baby coming soon so I have to be at home
Katy: Fruity who's taking your team to the CoH?
Michelle: Your Mum Sophia
Katy: Well big changes but Sophia isn't going to be coach for next World cup?
Michelle: No, but I think I know who's got the job now

Katy: You gonna say?
Michelle: She's next to me.
Melody: Well, I'll take it. No problems
Michelle: The job belongs to younger person who can inject more effort into it
Katy: What about Melody Pond?
Michelle: She's done great with her team. Her team could actually make finals.

Melody: I think she'll stay put there
Michelle: She's worthy of this job. But I think she's happy where she is now
Melody: Yes, her team almost made the finals automatically.
Michelle: I'd certainly endorse either Melody
Katy: You might face each other in the CoH, how does that feel
Melody: May the best team win!

Michelle: You'd think Jeru FC would be favourite
Melody: No given how close Jeruselem came to getting a playoff spot, Jeru FC cannot be complacent
Michelle: Still, both teams have a chance of winning something
Melody: Yes, winning something would be nice.
Katy: Yes it would
Michelle: I second that
Jeruselem's sports achievements
http://www.nswiki.net/index.php?title=J ... hievements

Land of the Tiger Princesses

Maklohi Vai
Minister

Founded: Jan 07, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Maklohi Vai » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:28 pm

Part 1

Official Press Release of the Maklohi Vai Football Association

To Whom it May Concern:

With the recent announcement of inent to retire from coach Rimolanao Lomokanapai, the Association has begun a domestic and international hiring search to find the best candidate to coach the team next cycle. We are seeking the following attributes in a coach:

1. Experience as head coach of a national team OR experience as an assistant coach for more than 5 years on a national team. We believe that experience is a key factor when considering any position. When considering a top 50 international football team, it is even more important. An experienced coach will be able to lead the team to greater success with greater efficiency, and that is why we ask for this experience.

2. A heavily defensive style, preferably close to the current style of -4. While this sentiment is an organizational decision, it also reflects the character of Vaian football: a strong defense that tires down the opponents, allowing strikers to break free. In addition, players on the current Vaian national team are trained to work in a defensive system, and as such would work much better with a defensive coach.

3. Can work with a variety of ages of players. The Vaian national team ranges in age from 20 to 42, and all players are constant contributors. Any successful coach must be able to adapt to the needs of all players at hand by recognizing that each player's desires are different.

4. Can participate in development of youth teams from U-15 up. In order to be successful in the future, youth development must be a priority. While the FA has hired top coaches for the youth development leagues and national youth teams, the national team's coach provides an extra sense of development by showing youth players what it would be like if they were to make it to the national team.

5. Strong motivator. Besides being a trait desirable in general, Vaian teams are typically more likely to benefit from a strong motivator in a coach. Playing a defensive style requires constant vigilance, especially in the face of attacks, which may be more frequent. With motivation, players are able to give it their all and perform as they need to.

6. Good communication ability. A coach cannot truly be a coach unless he can get his ideas to stick with his players. A coach needs to be tuned to his players' needs and desires, and needs to be able to effectively get across his point. A failure in this category creates a domino effect that is hard to reverse.

7. Reasonable, but not over the top, disciplinary inclination. Maklohi Vai has always played disciplined football, allowing it to execute complicated defensive schemes that other teams may not grasp. This trait also goes for punishment: the Association believes that a player's punishment should be just and swift, and that the person closest to the incident, typically the coach, should have no fear in making such decisions.

These seven traits are only the start of what a prospective candidate should have. So far, the Association has received two international submissions and four domestic submissions, and is weighing all of them currently. Hiring a coach sooner rather than later is our preference, so any prospective applicants are encouraged to submit as soon as possible. Applications can be sent to the headquarters of the Association at: 3440 Oa'a Avenue, Kolo Lahi, Maklohi Vai. (OOC: TG me)

OOC: An international candidate will be accepted, I just need to include the prospect of a domestic candidate for RP purposes.
Last edited by Maklohi Vai on Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"For the glory of our people, we govern our nation freely. For the glory of Polynesia, we help and strengthen our friends. For the glory of the earth, we do not destroy what it has bestowed upon us."
Demonym: Vaian
-Kamanakai Oa'a Pani, first president of Maklohi Vai
-6.13/-8.51 - as of 7/18
Hosted: MVBT 1; WBC 27; Friendly Cups 7, 9; (co-) NSCAA 5
Former President, WBC; WBC Councillor
Senator Giandomenico Abruzzi, Workers Party of Galatea
Administrator
Former:
Head Administrator
Beto Goncalves, Chair, CTA
Abraham Kamassi, Chair, Labour Party of Elizia
President of Calaverde Eduardo Bustamante; Leader, LDP
President of Baltonia Dovydas Kanarigis; Leader, LDP
President of Aurentina Wulukuno Porunalakai; Leader, Progress Coa.

Kinitaria
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Kinitaria » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:31 pm

A History of Kinitar Football in Eighteen Objects
Thirteen: The ballot box

Irin Kučera, despotic leader of Kinitaria, grew more and more erratic as the years progressed. He was, at the end, essentially a paranoid old man. Purges of party members held to be disloyal to the regime were increasingly common, the instruments of state security increasingly refined, the amount of people who would disappear in the night simply increasing. For some reason, these repressive policies did little to help the economy, which soon found itself in turmoil. Hyperinflation struck Kinitaria, leading to the formation of the Kinitar Salvation Front (Liga Salvatorani Kinitarii, LSK), a broad and often disorganised opposition group composed of many factions, who were often opposed to each other. The only thing they held in common was a desire to see the end of the Kučera regime. For the first time in decades, bitter street conflicts broke out on the streets of Kinitaria. The nation’s cities burned for almost a week before the army were able to regain control, but regain control they did. The LSK was too small, and had tried to stir up insurrection too early. Key figures of the rebel group were arrested, and very few were ever heard from again.

The creation of the LSK, while it could be heralded as a triumphant return to the open for opponents of Kučera, also gave the Kinitar government a point on which to focus its repression. Anyone publicly seen, or even thought to be, affiliating with the LSK was putting themselves at the risk of a late-night visit from a government agent. As such, a number of underground resistance groups refused to have anything to do with the “united front”, preferring to continue conducting their own operations independently. These groups would have a significant impact long after Kučera. Nevertheless, the LSK appeared to be gaining ground. Sporadic political demonstrations – something which would have been thought impossible just a decade ago – began to appear in some of Kinitaria’s key cities. And while the demonstrations may have been small, they were certainly noticeable. They were a severe embarrassment to the Kinitar government, which maintained its campaign of repression against them. However, the civil resistance campaign advocated by the LSK grew increasingly stronger, until the government agreed to meet LSK leaders for negotiations. The negotiations were approached by a period of optimism throughout the country, but the Party nomenklatura proved to be too stubborn, and talks collapsed after a few months. It was the signal for a general uprising. Street protests and violence in many Kinitar cities forced Kučera to abandon power. In attempting to flee Mi'ato, he was captured and immediately executed in a show trial.

This was not the signal for Kinitaria to leap forward into an age of prosperity and democracy. A provisional government, headed and controlled by the LSK, immediately seized power, although they did announce that open and democratic elections would be held within the next few months. To their credit, they did deliver on this promise, and election campaigning began almost immediately as formerly banned parties re-emerged onto the political stage. The last truly free election in Kinitaria, you may remember, was held in a tense climate as rival groups scrapped for control, not only of the ballot box, but also of Kinitaria’s streets. Armed police were on the streets once more as Kinitaria looked to bring back democracy – a move carried out purely out of necessity, according to the LSK government. Many people were happy to accept that – it was better than being beaten up on the way to the polling station, after all.

The elections were, not surprisingly, won by the LSK in a landslide, giving them an overall majority in the newly-reformed Parliament of Kinitaria. For the first time in over thirty years, Kinitars from all across the political spectrum were able to look to the future with hope. But there were many challenges involved in the rebuilding of the country, and as it emerged, the LSK were not capable of dealing with them. It was never intended to be a political party, but instead a united front campaigning for the removal of Kučera. Now that he was gone, there was nothing to hold the party together, and the arguments soon began between the different factions. Given that almost all ranges within the political spectrum were represented in the LSK, these arguments would be very bitter indeed. The LSK ultimately proved incapable of governing the country, the proof of which came when some of the more radical factions began to split from the party entirely, paving the way for a general exodus from all sides. The rump government which remained couldn’t hold onto power for long, and a new general election was called just fourteen months after the last one.

This was, of course, having its impact on football in the nation. Olimpia Mi’ato led the National Unity League by two points after 14 games of the planned 38-game season had been played, but then the violence broke out. The league was immediately suspended, and it would never complete that season. It would never complete any season, for that matter – the league was forcibly dissolved after the end of Kučera’s reign. What’s more, the Federation refused to recognise any titles won in the national league experiment, citing that as many of the clubs who would otherwise have competed had been dissolved by the government for political reasons, any league titles won in the era could not be considered legitimate. Although this decision was met by protest from some of the stronger clubs of the Kučera era, it is one decision the Federation would stand firm on, and one which it continues to this day. It’s certainly true that, for whatever reason – and many have been suggested – they didn’t like the idea of a national league, and immediately cabled their intention to move back to a system with two regional leagues in parallel, as it had been before the Communist era.

Many clubs did not approve of the idea of moving back to the old system, and so the Federation agreed to set up a commission, which would have the intention of finding the best system to run Kinitaria’s league system. The majority of clubs agreed to this, given that it was early in what would have been the current season, as long as the commission’s decision was ready by the end of the season. The Federation Cup still took place as normal, and was won by the reconstituted Dinamo Paleu, who beat off Serenberg in the final. It was not only banned political parties which were re-entering life in Kinitaria, but also banned football clubs. On many occasions, these would be refoundings of the original clubs, and would have to start life from the bottom just as though they were a new club, but some of the renamed clubs also chose to revert to their original names – Torpedo Avnani, for example, who returned to their pre-revolutionary name of Avnani Athletic. Some of the new-old clubs ended up being very successful, like Port Qaraman, who – in the future – would use their name and influence to quickly propel themselves up the league structure.

The league commission, in the end, didn’t take very long to report its findings. Shockingly, for an organisation that was in the pocket of the Federation, they recommended that the league revert to two separate regional structures. The Federation itself took the chance to expand on their control, and re-established the old Alliance and Northern League, but as subdivisions of the Federation, not as their own independent organisations. A small minority of clubs protested this, but in reality, it made very little difference. The two leagues had been subordinated to the Federation a long time before the seizure of power. The move to make it official was just confirming what everyone knew already.

And so, league football began once again, leaving a 20-year gap in the archives of Kinitar football. This is a gap that will never be filled – according to the Federation’s official records, no league titles were handed out in two decades. Some clubs took exception to this. Universita Tirinthea, who had won four league titles in the unified division, insisted on putting four stars on their shirt “purely for decorative reasons”. The Federation took a dim view of this, and brought in a new system in which clubs were only permitted to wear stars based on the number of titles – in either regional division – they had won. One star was awarded for every five titles. (Later, when the national league eventually reconvened, these stars would also be rendered obsolete, causing similar problems.)

Kinitar society was changing too fast for the organisations associated with football in the country to be able to keep up. But, football had been such an integral part of Kinitar society for so long, that all they could do was run behind as fast as possible. And the rollercoaster ride of societal unrest was a long way from finished. There would be many more twists and turns that the Federation would still have to try to accommodate.
Last edited by Kinitaria on Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Technocratic State of Kinitaria | capital: Mi'ato | RP population: 145 million | demonym: Kinitar
trigramme: KIN | colours: blue and yellow | languages: Kinitar (de facto) and English | island nation | MT
Weather in Mi'ato | Litora | Serenberg

Economic Left/Right: -5.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.26

Champions: Baptism of Fire 47 | Hosts: Baptism of Fire 52 (with Legalese), Cup of Harmony 60 (with Kazamatsuri), AOCAF 43

Pasarga
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 09, 2009
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Pasarga » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:37 pm

Last edited by Pasarga on Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NS Sports