NATION

PASSWORD

Tyrrhenian Broadcasting Corporation: TBC News

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Elcric Kcalb
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 23, 2009
Corporate Police State

Postby Elcric Kcalb » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:15 pm

Elcric Kcalb: Taking the bait, but not getting hooked.

Kcalbite News Network
"Bringing you the latest, most reliable news from Elcric Kcalb, Tyrrhenia, and the world over."

Proposed Change to Anti-Communism Policy Reaches Corporate Senate

Gratenburg, Elcric Kcalb - After many months of hardship through the intangible bureaucracy of Elcric Kcalb, banking company H.A. Haarstad has finally thrust its revision to the Corporatocracy's Anti-Communism policy into discussion. Though this development will go a long way in seeing the proposal through, it is really only the beginning of the even longer process of drafting, debating, revising, and debating again the legislation. Though the road ahead is long and likely bumpy, company spokesperson Johnathon Scott remained hopeful.

"This is a tremendous step forward in correcting an unnecessarily aggressive aspect of our foreign policy, in addition to potentially breaking the stranglehold some Private Military Companies hold on the Corporate Senate." Scott said during a press release earlier this morning.

Since being passed in 1988, the Corporatocracy's Anti-Communism policy proclaimed the intention to intervene militarily wherever Communist revolts took place in the vicinity of Elcric Kcalb. Scott attributes the legislation's passing to "widespread paranoia directed against Communism at the time, in addition to the Corporate Senate's desire to make its Anti-Communism policy abundantly clear, and intimidating."

"Though the fact that Private Military Companies, such as Goliath and Tantamount, were at the height of their influence at the time, and were in the position to gain a lot from such an aggressive policy, definitely played another factor,"
Scott was quick to add.

H.A. Haarstad's proposed revision involves what could be described as a "preemptive strike in the form of timely investments." Instead of fighting Communist revolutionaries as they appear, the new policy will instead focus on preventing such revolutions before they can happen. The document asserts that Communist revolutions most commonly take place in countries suffering economically, where citizens would feel tempted by the promise of economic "equality" and putting the means of production in the hands of the masses. The solution, then, would be to invest in and partner with suffering countries to remedy their failing economies, thus eliminating any desire for such a revolution.

"With this policy, we will be able to expand Kcalbite influence, spread economic prosperity, and simultaneously enrich our own country. It will benefit us much more than our current policy, which calls for little more than turning nations suffering Communist uprisings into occupational zones."
Last edited by Elcric Kcalb on Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

New Belhavia
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 06, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby New Belhavia » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:16 pm

OoC: This is an agreed-upon backdating by me and Cuk. If there are any comments or you want to make a reply, TG me. This is part of the RP-in-work between the Gratenburg Pact and IASM. IASM: If you want to reply, TG me.

THE PROVISA TIMES

Imperial War Ministry: Military Basing Rights Announced with Cukarica

Pictured: Camp Harbinger, under construction, 112 miles northwest of Neopolis, Cukarica

Levalon: New Military Basing Rights With Cukarica Allow Empire 'Better Force Projection' Within Tyrrhenia
February 26th, 2013 | By Joseph T. Kollen (jtkollen@aij.org) (AIJ)

PROVISA, New Belhavia — The Imperial War Ministry released a public statement announcing that the Imperial government has reached a deal with the government of Latin Imperium of Cukarica, an insular central Tyrrhenian nation, on military basing rights for Imperial forces set for the next twenty years. The War Ministry noted that "the Imperium of Cukarica has, for centuries, largely kept to itself...with this new engagement, Cukarica has agreed to allow Imperial forces to construct several military installations in the northwest of the country."

This surprise announcement comes nearly three weeks after the regional security conference at Gratenburg on February 5th, and several weeks after Akimonad has announced "freedom of navigation" exercises in Tyrrhenia to take place next month. Regional and international security experts are buzzing over the rumors that the Empire, Corporatocracy of Elcric Kcalb, and German Empire reached an accord on invading Titanicia, a failing totalitarian dystopia ostracized by the international community which is often referred to commonly as "the IASM." Officials at the War Ministry were especially tight-lipped, refusing to leak information to the press. When asked at the press conference whether this was an indication towards war with the IASM, Michael Levalon, Deputy Foreign Minister for Tyrrhenian Affairs, said flatly "no." Elaborating, he asserted that "these talks [with Cukarica] were in the works for a while now...the Empire is always interested in growing its global and regional force projection capabilities. This basing [deal] will allow us to contribute to that national security objective. The uncivilized savages in Titanicia are a different concern."

Sam Waterson, Levalon's predecessor in the Imperial Foreign Ministry who is now a regional security consultant at the Sam Rohr International Relations Policy Center, predicted conflict with Titanicia was not far off. "Let [us] be serious here...Provisa needs a staging area if it wants to effectively operate a theater [of combat] with IASM...Aschenhyrst and Tavok are too close and blunt to build up forces before [an invasion]. Cukarica...is sufficiently close but operationally secure from the UDT's reach. A perfect midway point to attack the barbarian realm." When asked for comment, a spokesman for both the War and Foreign Ministries declined to answer.

Garret D'Agos, a former foreign policy reporter for the Dakos Weekly who was named its social media blogger-in-chief last December, argued that this new military basing deal was, instead, a reaction to the planned Akimonadi-Maltropian naval exercises. Reporters found Deputy Foreign Minister for Allied Affairs Jacen Gray and his family leaving Cafe Ouredian, a upscale Emmerian restaurant in Kings Hill, and asked for comment on these rumors. Raising a hand to the cameras, Gray curtly retorted, "[The Foreign Ministry] categorically denies this [basing] deal with Cukarica as some sort of 'reaction' to Kent's latest provocation...this deal was being planned for several months, I can tell you. It's strictly a Tyrrhenian matter." He refused any more questions as he and his family escaped the press by getting in their S.U.V. and driving off.

Levalon vehemently disputed D'Ago's argument when e-mailed for comment, replying back that "A new military basing deal...to be set for twenty years is clearly too long to be some sort of a knee-jerk response to the Akimonadi's recently-announced exercises...so [Mr.] D'Ago's theory is plain wrong. This [deal] is strictly for Imperial force projection pursuit to our national security objectives within Tyrrhenia. I couldn't be more clear on the matter."

The first two military installations, Camps Harbinger and Victory, are set to be fully constructed within the week, using normal combat-tested military prefabricated buildings. An airbase will be attached to Camp Harbinger, and 2,000 Imperial Marines of the 21st Division will arrive by March 3rd. The Imperial Army's 4th Division is set to move out by March 8th, and 30,000 combat personnel will be garrisoned at the military installations by April 2nd, according to a supplemental report released to the press by the Imperial Logistics Department. Meanwhile, the 12th Carrier Fleet will be moving to port in Neopolis for what Levalon called an "indefinite period." The Imperial forces have scheduled a joint war games with local military authorities for mid-March.

Meanwhile, locals are thrilled about the chance for increased business with thousands of foreigners streaming in to work in the new military facilities. Economists estimate $974,000 in additional consumer spending will hit the surrounding communities, especially the entertainment, food, and hospitality sectors.

Joseph T. Kollen reported from Provisa. Michael Jacobson reported from Neopolis, Cukarica. None of these organizations are associated with the AIJ, and all opinions and personal views in the article do not reflect the viewpoints of the AIJ or their employees.

MORE IN INTERNATIONAL
  • IASM in 'Precarious Position', Hansdann Says [ 5679 ]
  • War of Words Heats Up in Pardes: Akimonadi Rhetoric Escalates [ 10344 ]
    Image Comments [ 15412 ] | Image E-mail this article
    © Association of Imperial Journalists 2013
Last edited by New Belhavia on Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Empire of Belhavia
National Factbook (IIwiki): Imperial Leadership - Imperial Armed Forces - Foreign Relations - News

[01:56] <NB> Moral of the story: Don't f*** with the NB political machine. We f***in' hustle for our votes...
"My will shall shape the future. Whether I fail or succeed shall be no man's doing but my own...my responsibility; win or lose, only I hold the key to my destiny." - Elaine Maxwell
"The historical debate is over. Free market capitalism is the answer." - Thomas Friedman

New Belhavia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby New Belhavia » Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:33 pm

THE PROVISA TIMES

Freeport Senate 2014 Poll: Haller 44%, Gray 41%

Pictured: Deputy Foreign Minister Jacen Gray (C), center, at a press conference in Freeport, N.B.

New Poll Out Shows Former Lib Dem Governor Narrowly Edging Out Rising Conservative Star
March 31st, 2013 | By John Haddensworth (jhadden@aij.org) (AIJ)

PROVISA, New Belhavia — A new poll released by the Provisa Herald and Callas College Survey, Ltd., this morning shows that the open Imperial Senate seat in Freeport Province will be tightly contested as high-profile candidates line endorsements, snatch up campaign operatives, and jockey to declare their formal intentions. The marquee Senate race that has been developing is a result of a decade-long rightward shift among key demographics within the prominent eastern province. Freeport Province was formerly a Liberal Democratic Party bastion, going for the Lib Dem presidential nominee five out of the last seven elections since 1988. Until 1998, the province had the longest streak of sending Lib Dems to the Senate of any province. However, population shifts, the opening of expanded military installations, and the political machine that arose around then-candidate Eli Goldman, in the course of a decade moved Freeport from a Lib Dem stronghold to a swing province. Goldman won the province in 2008, breaking a 20-year losing streak for Conservative nominees, and again in 2012. Goldman himself narrowly won a Senate seat in an upset in 1998, disrupting the Lib Dem virtual monopoly. Since then, Conservatives have captured nearly all major province-wide offices and the legislature.

The Provisa Herald/Callas College Survey poll tested several candidates in both potential primary and general election lineups. In a hypothetical Conservative primary, Deputy Foreign Minister for Allied Affairs, Jacen Gray, the son of corporate mogul Harold Gray of Gray Industries & Oil Consortium and the global face of the Anti-Communism Alliance (A.C.A.) public relations effort, would handily beat Provincial Assembly Speaker Jason Kos 56% - 23%. If former Provincial Senator Rich Dentham, who is reported to be mulling a Senate bid himself, was added, Gray would receive 57% to Kos' 26% and Dentham's 11%, and 6% undecided.

The Lib Dem primary is highly contested, with over a dozen current and former officeholders either having declared or considering a candidacy. The poll tested a seven-way primary, with former Freeport Governor Jack Haller on top at 35% to Assembly Minority Leader Garret Giffin's 22%, former Imperial Senator Ron Jasowitz' 18%, Provincial Senator Dan Xanatos' 7%, investor Kelsey Farnian's 6%, Freeport City Comptroller Hal Nottis' 5%, former Freeport Councilman Valery Cellus' 3%, and 4% undecided. Farnian, Nottis, and Cellus have declared, while Haller, Giffin, and Jasowitz are still mulling their candidacies.

The strongest candidate for the Lib Dems is Haller, who in a general election lineup narrowly beats Gray 44% - 41%. Gray beats all other candidates by double-digits, except Jasowitz, who he beats 49% - 40%. This is the first poll to show Gray competitive. An earlier Adrian Foundation (C)/The Global Telegraph poll out on February 25th showed Gray trailing all three major Lib Dem candidates by double digits, with a lower name recognition among the registered voting population. The Adrian Foundation poll pegged Gray's overall name recognition at 29%, up from 3% in an earlier survey poll out in early February. The Provisa Herald poll has Gray's name recognition at 71%, an astounding feat considering that no advertisements have aired. Brendan Medvan, a adjutant professor of political science at Freeport Provincial University, credits this to Gray's high profile in the international War of Words between the ACA and its opponents, chiefly the Republic and Commonwealth of Akimonad and the United Republic of Emmeria. Medvan asserts that "[Gray] has been doing press conferences, going on TV [shows] and the like, which got the ACA's message out [but] also got his name recognition introduced to people more broadly....I've counted that he's done at least a dozen press conferences in Freeport relating to the [War on Words] since mid-February."

Gray's favorablity rating stands at 55/23 positive/negative, while former Governor Haller's favorability numbers come in at 47/39. John Haddens, a reporter at ProvisaInsider.com, the all-politics information clearinghouse and press organization, quoted confidential sources close to Gray who allege the Deputy Foreign Minister will announce his Senate candidacy in the next six weeks, if not sooner. It is clear the War of Words has propelled the 28-year-old aspiring politician right where he wants to be. The poll surveyed 1,277 likely voters in Freeport province, with a margin of error of +/- 4.6%.

John Haddensworth reported from Provisa. Julia Heibnitz reported from Freeport. None of these organizations are associated with the AIJ, and all opinions and personal views in the article do not reflect the viewpoints of the AIJ or their employees.

MORE IN POLITICS
  • Lib Dem Minority Leader Denounces Goldman Foreign Policy, Empire's Defense of the ACA [ 459 ]
  • Settas: Senate Nears Passage of Landmark Tax Reform, Bill's Triumph "In Sight" [ 45822 ]
  • Provisa Councilman Tom Roth Lambasts Proposed Tax Increase for Kings Hill Residents [ 765 ]
    Image Comments [ 103295 ] | Image E-mail this article
Last edited by New Belhavia on Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.
The Empire of Belhavia
National Factbook (IIwiki): Imperial Leadership - Imperial Armed Forces - Foreign Relations - News

[01:56] <NB> Moral of the story: Don't f*** with the NB political machine. We f***in' hustle for our votes...
"My will shall shape the future. Whether I fail or succeed shall be no man's doing but my own...my responsibility; win or lose, only I hold the key to my destiny." - Elaine Maxwell
"The historical debate is over. Free market capitalism is the answer." - Thomas Friedman

The IASM
Senator

Founded: Jan 01, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The IASM » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:20 am

Titianician State Media

Titianician Senate orders complete extermination of infected by force

Opexion, Titianicia: I has been declared in the United Ditorates of Titianicia that all lifeforms infected with "fungus homo infectious" will be exterminated at all costs by the Titianician Armed Forces. All active legions shall are authorised to use chemical agents along with tactical nuclear weapons to exterminate the infected humans who are of no apparent use to the state at this moment in time.

It has been revealed that the Titianician species of infected humans are controlled by an extremely powerful fungus that was praying on the large Titianician ants and termites there for forcing them to produce spores for the fungus.

Vast amounts of radiation have been detected coming from the outer region of Titanicia which are predicted to be the fallout of nuclear weapons.

Our official corespondent stated that "Titianicia can survive this event through force due to the extremely large military that is operated by it. It also has semi isolationist policies when concerning foreign policy so the mainland should not be affected extremely badly by these events as well".

I has also been noticed that any non Titianician object has been ordered to be shot down on detection due enforce isolation policies and to prevent even more of the effected from entering or leaving Titianicia.
Last edited by The IASM on Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:53 am, edited 3 times in total.
HUN-01

20:22 Kirav Normal in Akai is nightmare fuel in the rest of the world.
11:33 Jedoria Something convoluted is going on in Akai probably.
Transoxthraxia: I'm no hentai connoisseur, but I'm pretty sure Akai's domestic politics would be like, at least top ten most fucked up hentais"
18:26 Deusaeuri Let me put it this way, you're what would happen if Lovecraft decided to write political dystopian techno thriller
20:19 Heku tits has gone mental
20:19 Jakee >gone
05:48 Malay lol akai sounds lovely this time of never

The IASM
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The IASM » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:25 am

Titianician State Media

Titianician home fleets head home

Titianician Armed Forces deploying mines in Mednorian waters

Opexion, Titianicia: It has been noticed that the Titianician home fleets -which numbers at around 1645 ships - have been seen entering Titianician waters once after their military training for rapid response. They after several weeks of simulated combat and training.

Our official corespondent from the Titianician divison of internal affairs has commented on this saying "the withdrawal of the fleet is expected after a moderately large security threat has posed itself however I have been instructed to say that this threat is of great importance that the fleet returned in preparation for this threat".

Also it has been noticed that several Titianician minelayer crafts has been deployed at in Mednorian waters. It is certain that they are deploying mines in a distinctive massive spiral. It seems to be forcing the passage of ships into the eastern opening near Tavok.
HUN-01

Transoxthraxia: I'm no hentai connoisseur, but I'm pretty sure Akai's domestic politics would be like, at least top ten most fucked up hentais"
18:26 Deusaeuri Let me put it this way, you're what would happen if Lovecraft decided to write political dystopian techno thriller

New Belhavia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby New Belhavia » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:36 pm

THE PROVISA TIMES

IESB: 1st Quarter Report: Trade Volume Between Empire and Afalia Rises 26%

Pictured: NBS North Star, center, a transport tanker registered to the Balian Shipping Consortium, near Blackdon, the Kingdom of Afalia

1Q Report Out Shows Imperial Firms Doing Brisk Business in Afalia, Especially Construction & Manufacturing Sectors
April 4th, 2013 | By Jack Hathaway (jhath@aij.org) (AIJ)

PROVISA, New Belhavia — The Imperial Economic Statistics Bureau (IESB) released its report on the recently-ended 1st economic quarter, running from January to March. Trade with eastern Tyrrhenian neighbors, the German Empire and Elcric Kcalb, remained steady, with exports declining 3.9% to western Tyrrhenia and extraregional trade skyrocketing 65.3% over the 4th quarter of 2012.

International trade analysts are pleasantly surprised at the unexpected spike in extraregional trade, which had increased modestly at 5.7% in 2012 and 4.2% in 2011. Much of the increase is attributed to a raft of new trade agreements between the Empire and friendly powers stretched out around the world, easing restrictions and red tape for Belhavian companies to engage foreign markets. An eyebrow-raising statistic among seasoned economists was that the volume of trade flow between the Empire and the Kingdom of Afalia increased by 26.1% over the first quarter, causing the Provisa Stock Exchange (PSE) and Imperial Bond Exchange (IBE) to rise 45 points and 15 points, respectively, in early morning trading. Much of the trade growth is in the construction and vehicle manufacturing sectors. Several Belhavian firms had received bids to aid in the reconstruction of Blackdon following the devastating attack by the Titanicians in the ongoing Afalia war. Daytime traders rallied yesterday afternoon, causing the PSE to rise 81 points on reports that the remaining surviving Titanician forces were in full retreat from Coalition fleets, freeing the most trafficked shipping routes from the threat of military seizure and harassment.

Factory orders for construction and mining vehicles and equipment rose sharply since January, with Roth Energy Holding Company, Dynamic Metal Manufacturers' Limited, Adrian Automotives, Goldman Construction Services, LLC, and Grant Global Export Corporation all seeing their stock prices rise significantly on the PSE from eager floor traders. Afalian demand for construction equipment has been consistent through late January, with Belhavian firms doing brisk business. The Balian Shipping Consortium saw the highest increase in shipping orders between the Empire proper and the Kingdom of Afalia, with Gray Industries & Oil Consortium and Roth Industries battling for second place in transport orders. Western Transport, Inc., a West Dakos-based shipping firm, rounded out the top four shipping companies flush with Afalian demand for reconstruction goods and services.

Rumors from the Capitol indicate that Afalia and the Imperial government may be negotiating a free trade agreement caused the U.S.-based Dow Jones to rise 34 points. Military production orders have risen sharply since December, with renewed orders for armored vehicles, mid-sized warships, and newer F-22A fighter craft to the Pyrion Group and American firms Boeing and Raytheon. Another interesting note was that global markets increased when news about the upcoming press conference concerning a new Imperial-Gratislavian free trade deal was leaked. The Gratislavian Chancellor is currently visiting the Empire on a state visit. The 1Q report notes that Imperial-Gratislavian trade has increased 14% in the past three months, reflecting growing economic ties between the two nations.

Jack Hathaway reported from Provisa. Justin Nutalen reported from Blackdon, Afalia. None of these organizations are associated with the AIJ, and all opinions and personal views in the article do not reflect the viewpoints of the AIJ or their employees.

MORE IN FINANCE & BUSINESS
  • Roth Industries Closes One Regional Distribution Center in Pardes [ 1270 ]
  • High-Yield Bond Market Surges With New Rates Topping 12% on Corporate Notes [ 35401 ]
  • Commodities Fall Overall Despite 23 Point Gain in PSE, Ending a Five-Day Rally [ 10556 ]
    Image Comments [ 8744 ] | Image E-mail this article
Last edited by New Belhavia on Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Empire of Belhavia

Elcric Kcalb
Diplomat

Corporate Police State

Postby Elcric Kcalb » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:53 am

Kcalbite News Network
"Bringing you the latest, most reliable news from Elcric Kcalb, Tyrrhenia, and the world over."

Executive Order Targets United Ditorates

Gratenburg, Elcric Kcalb - An Executive Order issued by Executive Chairman Adenauer today has struck a trio of blows to relations with the United Ditorates of Titianicia. There were three clauses to the order in all; the first ending trade between the United Ditorates and the Corporatocracy, the second seizing all Titianician assets on Kcalbite soil, and the third declaring an embargo of the United Ditorates to be in effective. During his announcement, Adenauer denounced the United Ditorates as "a blight upon Tyrrhenia, if not the world."

The Corporate Senate's decision to approve a trade agreement with the United Ditorates in early December, now nullified, was met with much controversy, partially due to the narrow margin of votes by which it was approved and partially because of the United Ditorates' rigid adherence to an ideology Chairman of Commerce Pavle Branović decreed "clumsy, ill-thought out," and "destined for failure." Within a month of the agreement being signed, the United Ditorates failed to find markets for any of their goods. Companies that did purchase goods from Titianicia generally reported negatively on them, calling Titianician goods a myriad of negative terms, among which were dangerous, defective, and primitive.

Food companies based out of the Corporatocracy's colonies found minor profits exporting what the Titianicians referred to as "upper-class food." After a private conference with Executive Chairman Adenauer, it was found that the losses incurred by an end to trade with the United Ditorates were entirely negligible.

In accordance with the second clause of the Executive Order, the Department of Political Affairs has announced that Titianician ambassador Dr. Gerald Green and his staff will be returning home without any of the belongings they arrived with. Inversely, and in what some are calling "typical Kcalbite fashion," the Department of Political Affairs has also reported that the Kcalbite embassy in New Alotos was discreetly emptied of all personnel and material assets over a week ago.

so sooty

New Belhavia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby New Belhavia » Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:28 am

THE PROVISA TIMES

Analyst: Rumored 'Gratenburg Pact' Exists; Flexes Muscle in Tyrrhenia

Pictured: Michael Levalon, Deputy Foreign Minister for Tyrrhenian Affairs, at a regional affairs lecture at Imperial Provisa University

Waterson: Tyrrhenian A.C.A. Organization "New Major Power" of Influence Within the Region
April 21st, 2013 | By Joseph T. Kollen (jtkollen@aij.org) (AIJ)

PROVISA, New Belhavia — Sam Waterson, a regional security consultant at the Sam Rohr International Relations Policy Center, gave a press release today in downtown Provisa to assert that the Empire and nearby allies, Prussia and Elcric Kcalb, are organized in a regional-centric alliance known as the "Gratenburg Pact." He cites anonymous leaks from within the government, who gave testimony to Mr. Waterson alleging that the rumored regional security conference last February 5th was a meeting of Tyrrhenia's leading powers to formalize a shadowy league to better coordinate the enormous geopolitical, military, and economic influence the trio have over the region.

When asked for a response, Michael Levalon, Deputy Foreign Minister for Tyrrhenian Affairs - Waterson's successor - replied curtly "no comment." Waterson, a retired senior Imperial Foreign Ministry officer who occupied Levalon's position before leaving to take up more lucrative private sector employment, is a major player in foreign and regional affairs circles. A thirty-three veteran of diplomacy, his tenure at the Foreign Ministry was marked by blunt, uncompromising public statements and a well-honed knack for strengthening regional ties. At his press conference, he argued that "[New Belhavia, Prussia-Steinbach, and Elcric Kcalb] are the most powerful players in both Tyrrhenia, and more broadly, in the international community...[our] own Empire and the Prussians fill out the senior echelons of the Anti-Communism Alliance (A.C.A.) leadership," the global defensive alliance dedicated to fighting far-left oppression and safeguarding economic freedom. The former deputy Foreign Minister elaborated, saying "sources within the government have come [forward]...the so-called 'Gratenburg Pact' is reality."

When asked for public comment, spokesmen for the Imperial Foreign Ministry and the Offices of the President and His Majesty all declined to answer any inquiries. Several officials, from all levels of government, have come forward under a cloak of anonymity to confirm Waterson's statements. One source, who only revealed he was a top aide to Deputy Foreign Minister Levalon, confirmed that "the Grat[enburg] Pact is real...it exists." Another diplomat who is in the Office of Levantian Affairs remarked that "the Pact formed in Gratenburg last February...[and] has been active since. It's fully known to everyone in the Ministry." An Imperial senator on the Intelligence Subcommittee came to forward, remarking that "the Grat[enburg] Pact rules Tyrrhenia...there [is] no doubt about that...all the important regional decision-making happens here [in Provisa], in Berlin, and in Gratenburg."

One source, a retired Air Force general who has maintained ties to senior military circles, acknowledged that the Pact leadership "met with Allamunnae at Draakurr and worked out some agreement [for regional cooperation]...I hear that the Pact will refrain from engaging communist forces in Levantia." When asked if the Pact will involve itself in non-regional affairs, the various sources differ. The Senator commented that "we know all about the [Akimonadi-Maltropian-Emmerian] exercises later this month. We have a plan. There's a reason the 5th [Fleet] is still in Pardes," while the top Levalon aide speculated that "the Pact's reach will stay in-house, as it were...the ACA's interest is the [three nations'] primary ambitions outside Tyrrhenia." The retired general argued that "no f***ing way [that] the Grat[enburg] Pact stays region-only...some friends at the War Ministry tell me [War Minister Jan] Argan and [N.B.I. Director Evan] DeWeese have big geopolitical schemes up their sleeves." Many of the sources refer to the shadowy alliance in short hand as the "Grat Pact," which has drawn jokes among the government officials, many of whom have jovially connected the Pact's name to Gratislavia, a new ally of the Empire and somewhat active member on the world stage. The Gratislavian Chancellor recently came to New Belhavia on a state visit.

Waterson concluded his press conference by saying "the Gratenburg Pact, whether publicly known or not, effectively rules Tyrrhenia. Make no mistake: this organization is the true power within the region." Michael Levalon was caught by reporters exiting the regional affairs lecture at Imperial Provisa University. When pressed for a remark, he said, "I categorically repeat my previous answer: no comment."

Joseph T. Kollen reported from Provisa. Michael Jacobson reported from Northport, Allamunnic States. None of these organizations are associated with the AIJ, and all opinions and personal views in the article do not reflect the viewpoints of the AIJ or their employees.

MORE IN INTERNATIONAL
  • Ramsey Declares Segland 'Theocracy,' Imperial Leadership Outraged [ 1449 ]
  • Valerie Hynes Exclusive Expose: McNernia Battleground Zero for Geopolitical Foes [ 4832 ]
  • Levalon: Falsean Forces in Levantia 'Outrageous', 'Unacceptable'; Home Fleet Put on Alert [ 4701 ]
    Image Comments [ 6433 ] | Image E-mail this article
Last edited by New Belhavia on Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Empire of Belhavia

The IASM
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The IASM » Mon May 13, 2013 8:46 am

OOC: Just saying what Titianicia would do about the war of the worlds.

Titianician State Media

Titianicia denies all involvement in the murder of President Luis Castilla

Ditorate Shogun Iyæn Stratovimä addressing the accusations at a press conference

Opexion|Titianicia: A press conference has held in Opexion concerning the death of the [late] president Luis Castilla. Several fingers have been pointed towards the Titianician State Authority as the assassins. Ditorate Shogun Iyæn Stratovimä address the the issue stating "Although Emmeria is one of our enemies, we respected them and we would not dear assassinate President Luis Castilla" and he later stated "anyway the assassin did a sloppy job". These statements were meet with some mild opposition by other senators in the senate.

The accusations were first purposes after the extremely hostile relations between the URE and the UDT after two previous wars. The first which was on the continent of Verktha left both parties empty handed as it proved to be a pointless conflict while the invasion of Afalia proved near fatal to the Titianician government as it lead to Ditor Lazin's capture. This has spiralled a massive diplomatic conflict that has been relatively quiet recently.

When asked what do you wish for President Hayes he replied with "I wish him well and I also hope he will be instrumental to repairing relations between our two nations and I hope he will come to a peaceful conclusion of hostilities although Lazin would prefer nuclear war - he would find it more entertaining".

When also asked what will his policy be towards the ACA and the those who stand against them, he replied carefully saying " We shall attempt not to enter this conflict unless our interests threatened. We reassure that we will not fire unless this "war of words" becomes more than words".

Last edited by The IASM on Mon May 13, 2013 11:40 am, edited 3 times in total.
HUN-01

Ascelonia
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 27, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Ascelonia » Tue May 14, 2013 6:46 am

Doubts Rising in Post-Waldenburg War World

Joint Ascelonian-Cukarican Task Force 3 participating in a training exercise

Mednordian Pact in Question
February 5th, 2013
By Armen R. Halber (arhalber@sva.org)

CYRONE, Ascelonia - Following the last major joint operation between the two Mednordian giants in Paloni, the long-standing pact between the two nations has come under fire from speculators. With a new Emperor in Cukarica and Ascelonian succession in crisis, some say that the partnership between the two nations won't last much longer. Senior military advisor to the Faulkner administration, Colonel Aleks Reimsfeld, states, "[Ascelonia and Cukarica] worked together for hundreds of years. According to historians, [our] relations go back over a millenia. This isn't to say that friendly relations won't continue, but the current state of affairs can't last much longer with other players entering the picture. Kristaan knew this. Friedrich knew this. Caroline should know this. We need to prepare for a multipolar world."

When asked to speculate on Caroline's foreign policy, Reimsfeld declined to comment. Meanwhile, other analysts suggest that the relationship will continue as planned. Minister of Defense Adelbert Rensly had this to say, "There is no reason to doubt the alliance between [us and Cukarica]. [We have] always shared the same interests in trade and defense. To suggest otherwise is sheer poppycock."

Chairman of the Senate Committee on International Affairs Holpert Rudesberg also commented on the matter, "As an Ascelonian, I committed to maintaining friendly relations with [Cukarica]. Of course, our relationship can't stay the same forever, but we're dedicated to maintaining the harmony between us."

However, even amid reassurances regarding the Mednordian Pact, several mainstream news analysts have suggested that Caroline will no longer seek relations with Cukarica in order to strengthen her position in Blomburg. Instead, friendlier relations with members of the rumored Gratenburg Pact may play into the Queen-turned-Empress' plans. Of course, such a move would be met with controversy. A recent Alsup Poll reveals that 64% of Ascelonians favor the Cukarica over 'Gratenburg Pact' member states. Moreover, the study shows that an overwhelming 86% of Ascelonians believe that the Mednordian Pact will better serve Ascelonian interests.

In a measure following popular opinion, forces in the Senate and the National Assembly have been pushing respective versions of Amendment XXXIII to the Ascelonian Constitution, which would effectively make breaking relations from Cukarica unconstitutional. On the other hand, the amendment contains a clause that nullifies the add-on when "acts of war" or "infringements upon national sovereignty" have been initiated by the other party. Notably, the legislation would make Cukarica's assassination of Emperor Friedrich Godfrey, which was, ironically, requested by the Senate, expressly illegal and an act of war.

Despite doubts about the longevity of the pact, experts have already begun comparing the alliance to the so-called 'Grat Pact' and other major factions within Tyrrhenia. Senior SvA political analyst and commentator Jördis Falhaus remarked, "To suggest that this so-called 'Grat Pact' rules Tyrrhenia is not only ludicrous, but also personally offensive to people who've actually lived in reality and worked in international politics. The Mednordian Pact alone possesses forces and populations triple that of 'Gratenburg' nations. There's much bigger fish to fry in Tyrrhenia: the Mediterranican Union, the new Waldenburg, the Republic of Paloni, the Levantian Council, and the b------s in Ralkovia. All of those pose bigger threats to Ascelonian interests and all of these parties must be dealt with kid gloves."

When confronted with Falhaus' analysis, Reimsfeld responded, "True, we live in a multi-polar region, but to say that Gratenburg is insignificant would be a downright lie. [Ascelonia] cannot afford to ignore the growing power of the [Grat Pact]. MU has remained dormant for the past few years. Waldenburg and Paloni have been significantly weakened by years of civil war. The Levantian Council only cooperates on regional issues. Ralkovia is busy meddling with extraregional affairs. The only major treaty organizations that seeks to project power in the region are the powers based in Gratenburg and us. Meanwhile, we're tied down by the numerous threats around us while Gratenburg remains relatively free to operate. We cannot allow this to happen."

The views and opinions expressed in this article are solely those of the author(s) and other contributors. These views and opinions do not necessarily represent those of the Royal Broadcasting Corporation, the Stem van Azkelonica, or the Ascelonian Government.

MORE FROM INTERNATIONAL
  • Marksen: 'Don't Call Me A Monarchist'
  • Value of CryptoCoins Skyrockets
  • Senate Convenes Over Budget Concerns
  • Cat Inherits Enormous Fortune
    Image Comments [ 2721 ] | Image E-mail | Image Share | Image Print
    © Royal Broadcasting Corporation 2013
Last edited by Ascelonia on Mon May 20, 2013 6:35 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Prussia-Steinbach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 12, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Prussia-Steinbach » Wed May 15, 2013 8:13 am

PRUSSCORP.
International News Service

GERMANY "OPENING UP" - WITHDRAWS FROM IFA

Last night, the German Empire officially resigned its membership in the Imperial Fascist Alliance, a "collection of Fascists, Francoists, Right-Wing Total Monarchies, National Socialists, Rightist Stratocracies, and other Far-Right Dictatorships"

By HILMAR STERN
Published: May 14, 2013

BERLIN, German Empire — Several minutes ago, the Foreign Office officially tendered its resignation from the increasingly irrelevant Imperial Fascist Alliance. According the letter of resignation, "the time in which the German Empire needed the Imperial Fascist Alliance" had "come to an end." However, the language used throughout the notification of immediate secession was undeniably amiable, and Foreign Minister Paul von Bismarck expressed a fervent hope that the close relationship the German Empire had enjoyed with many IFA states would continue.

This came along with a press release by the Foreign Office, detailing a change to imperial foreign policy. Questioning the wisdom of "alienating fellow right-wing states and democracies" and stating that Germany would from now on seek "firm friendship with nations that share our own ideals" and are "nearby our own geographic location," the document adopted a tone of conciliation of near-apologetic sincerity. Announcing that the German Empire would begin seeking closer trade and diplomatic relationships with countries such as Yohannes, the Allamunnic States, and Ascelonia, this is a major turn from the increasingly-hostile and self-promoting path the Empire has recently been taking.

"We are committed to increasing the prominence of Tyrrhenia as a whole," Foreign Minister Bismarck said in the release's introduction. "Our policy is not only to fight Communism and to enrich the Empire — though those are priorities — it is to help our fellow Waldenburgian and right-wing countries achieve a degree of success that others may not ever experience."

The press release was, however, significantly Tyrrhenia-centric, though it also stressed that nations of the far-left would not be worked with, as per usual imperial policy. Stating that "our region is of major importance," it expressed a desire to "rid Tyrrhenia of the Red Horde," and replace it with "liberal democracy and traditionalist monarchy."

"Let us enter a new era of creative Enlightenment combined with practical Realpolitik," Bismarck wrote, in a flourishing script copied to the document. "The world is a new place; it is a place for strength, and a place for wisdom in using it. Let us hope we may exercise both needs."

Hilmar Stern reported from Berlin.

Image Share this Article Image Tweet this Article Image E-Mail this Article
© 2013 PrussCorp. Corporation

8.739 Comments
Share your thoughts.

fluffitypeff Berlin, Brandenburg
...what's the IFA
3.557 likes
Image Reply Image Like

May 15, 2013 at 4:51 p.m.

Mark G. Wustrow, Hanover
We were members of the IFA? :o
6.083 likes
Image Reply Image Like

May 14, 2013 at 4:51 p.m.

brare89 Luckenwalde, Brandenburg
The Empire's definition of "open" is kind of amusing, tbh.
9.292 likes
Image Reply Image Like

May 14, 2013 at 4:52 p.m.

TOP STORIES RIGHT NOW:
  • Pflanz: Belhavia "betraying us to the Quigley Cabal" [ 8.295 ]
  • HIM the Kaiser to address the Reichstag on foreign policy [ 8.201 ]
  • Bismarck: Germany "is secular, has always been secular, and will remain secular" [ 2.703 ]
I don't care if people hate my guts; I assume most of them do.
The question is whether they are in a position to do anything about it. ― William S. Burroughs

Prussia-Steinbach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 12, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Prussia-Steinbach » Wed May 15, 2013 4:48 pm

PRUSSCORP.
International News Service

KAISER'S REICHSTAG ADDRESS DETAILS NEW POLICIES ON ECONOMY, FOREIGN AFFAIRS

Automobile manufacturing is a major industry in the Empire, as shown by this inside look at a Volkswagen showcase. Economists predict that German arms and technology industries will take a hit with the new, more liberal trade policies being imposed

By KLEMENS VON BREER
Published: May 14, 2013

BERLIN, German Empire — Earlier this afternoon, HIM Kaiser B.E. Steinbach addressed the Reichstag for two hours, elaborating upon the new, more open foreign policy that is being adopted by the Empire, as announced last night. Making the speech without use of notes or a pre-written text, HM addressed his three main topics — trade and economics, immigration and emigration, and alliances and embassies — in a concise, yet informative format.

"The German Empire will continue to retain its major tariffs and taxes on imported goods for foreign nations," HM said, launching into the first subject on the docket. "However, many — if not most — tariffs on goods from closely-allied and related nations such as Elcric Kcalb, New Belhavia, and Yohannes will be eliminated." The emperor also expressed a desire to expand trade relationships to other regions across the globe. "Though we have traditionally had strong connections in trade to places such as the Nineteen Countries and Nachfolgian Reich, we wish to establish more working relationships with other places. This is a necessary step in reducing the semi-isolationism Germany has been drawn into, attempting to significantly influence foreign affairs while keeping its subjects virtually ignorant of life and occurrences in other regions."

This is a daring statement to make, especially for HM the Kaiser, who has typically been seen as the initiator and most firm supporter of the Germanic enforcement of nationalistic imperialism.Though it has been criticised by many members of the right-wing Fatherland and Conservative parties, HM the Kaiser's usual loyalists in the Reichstag and Bundesrat, the emperor's new state of mind has garnered praise from many Free Democrats and Progressive People's partiers. "We are overjoyed to see the Kaiser's mind taking a more liberalistic turn," said Gunter Papesch, a leading member of the left-wing PPP. "His Majesty has always been known as an authoritarian, controlling, nationalist personality, and a dissemination of his extremism is not a bad thing at all."

Yet, some still have doubt as to the authenticity — or significance — of this change of heart by the German head of state. "Is this really that major a change?" said Eugene van Falk, a liberal political commentator for The Local. "I really don't see the great importance in this little policy-change. We're allowing more trade — with only right-wing nations we're allied to — and we're loosening up immigration — with only right-wing nations we're allied to. It's all publicity, from government-subsidised corporations like PrussCorp, trying to make their god-king look good."

Whether the new foreign policy will be a substantial change or not, it gained massive support from the German Reichstag. "We were, I am sad to say, on the path of the pariah state," HM said, to a hushed crowd of legislators. "I hope that our new attempt at openness may push us off of that path, and gain for us a new reputation for being a legitimate, advanced, right-wing nation." This began a brief throe of applause, from MPs across the political spectrum. "I really believe this is the beginning of a new era for Germany," said Theophil von Martens, a Christian Democrat MP. "We will begin a new day, one of cooperation with the international community, rather than hostility."

"Along with a decrease in the… extremity and militancy of our protectionism, a loosening of immigration and emigration laws will begin to be effected on June 1," HM the Kaiser announced, moving on from his discussion of economic policy. "We will, from now on, require only a legitimate ID for citizens to pass through customs between the Empire and other ACA states… nationals from states we are not officially allied with, but have close trade or ambassadorial relationships with — such as Yohannes or Ralkovia — will still require a passport and a brief, cursory, at-the-terminal screening, in order to ensure the visitor is not extremely undesirable." Asked to define "extremely undesirable" by an MP, the Kaiser replied: "Oh, you know, terrorists, serial killers, teen pop idols," to a quick blast of laughter.

"I find this to be an… interesting direction for the Germans to be taking," said Senator James Gulden, a noted Belhavian critic of the anti-ACA bloc. "Their militancy, though off-putting to some, more liberal and Leftist states, was a strict guarantee that their empire would remain intact and their society remain conservative. They were vehement in their quest for Communist elimination, and we [the Belhavian government] definitely didn't blame them for it."

"we will be seeking diplomatic and trade allies across the world," the Kaiser said, beginning to wind down his speech with a summary of the policy. "We will increase cooperation with our current allies. Economic advancement — which, my grandfather [Kaiser Georg] recognised to be the single most important aspect of national and imperial prosperity and eminence — will be a priority. We will continue to oppose the Red Horde, and remain leaders in the global counterrevolution; but, our aim will be to cease the alienation of fellow rightists and start making friends, in Tyrrhenia and across the globe."

Klemens von Breer reported from Berlin.

Image Share this Article Image Tweet this Article Image E-Mail this Article
© 2013 PrussCorp. Corporation

5.049 Comments
Share your thoughts.

proudgermanic1890 Dresden, Saxony
I don't see this as a good thing. Whether we were on the path of the "pariah state" or not, why should we care? I liked Steinbach's "fuck you" attitude to foreign policy. Why did it change?
5.904 likes
Image Reply Image Like

Anner F. Grabow, Mecklenburg
Finally, our allies are actually allies. This is a GOOD THING. Our old policy wasn't "hard-line," it was just plain hostile. Hostile to everyone except Germany and Nachfolgia. We need to get rid of a bit of our Germano-centrism, to be honest, it was becoming rather distasteful.
6.083 likes
Image Reply Image Like

johan rt. Stolpe, West Prussia
@proudgermanic1890 fuck u we ned 2 brake down berders and illegalize imigration lawes let eryone be a worl citicen stinback goldmen cin all suck it
351 likes
Image Reply Image Like

May 15, 2013 at 4:52 p.m.

TOP STORIES RIGHT NOW:
  • Emmeria continues hostile anti-ACA rhetoric [ 10.006 ]
  • Leader of Bavarian separatist party arrested [ 9.863 ]
  • Imports to rapidly increase, economists predict [ 9.840 ]
I don't care if people hate my guts; I assume most of them do.
The question is whether they are in a position to do anything about it. ― William S. Burroughs

Ascelonia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Ascelonia » Fri May 17, 2013 9:02 pm

Von Faulkner Losing Steam

Senator Jakob Strauss assaulting Senator Paul von Altgeld

Faulkner Administration Under Fire
February 6th, 2013
By Armen R. Halber (arhalber@sva.org)

CYRONE, Ascelonia - With the resignation of Kristaan, the head of government, High Chancellor Aleksander von Faulkner, has come under fire for staying silent about the entire affair. Meanwhile several scandals struck key officials within the Faulkner's cabinet. Namely, the Minister of Health and Human Services has admitted to taking bribes from Ascelonian insurance companies to disclose government-held medical records. Moreover, the Ministers of Justice, Transportation, Defense, and Foreign Affairs resigned in protest of von Faulkner's lack of response to the succession crisis. Compounding the resignations, several internal memos from the highest levels of government reveal conflicting and often controversial policies regarding Blomburg.

Signs of fracture within the fragile governing coaliton are appearing everywhere as the National Assembly congregates for the fifth time in three weeks to discuss the budget, which has suffered immensely from lack of donations and investments. The current alliance within the Assembly and the Senate consisting of conservatives, nationalists, and monarchists remains divided on the Caroline affair with monarchists and some traditional conservatives supporting Caroline on the one hand and nationalists and neoconservatives in opposition to her succession on the other. While politicians and protestors alike fill the street to voice their opinion on the matter, the courts have kept quiet. Deliberations are proceeding as scheduled with a ruling expected as early as next week.

Kristaan's popularity, long believed to have been the lynchpin of Faulkner's administration, had declined rapidly in Cyrone with the former's ambiguous stand on the Blomburger question. With the left-wing politicans demanding withdrawal from Blomburg and ultranationalists calling for the inclusion of the shattered monarchy in the Ascelonian Empire, the Emperor was content with leaving the issue untouched. However, his appeal amongst the common folk of Ascelonia remained relatively high up until his marriage to Caroline. Commentators claim the declining support may have motivated Kristaan's resignation, but others point to the spikes in his approval rating following the assassination attempts on his person.

Regardless of reason, the loss of Kristaan proved a critical blow as von Faulkner's whips in the Senate and the Assembly have failed to produce results on the budget and several amendments to the Constitution. Today, the Senate exploded into violence over a rider amendment to a military budget appropriation that would distribute a multibillion dollar logistics contract to a company affiliated with one of the key Cadet Houses of Ascelonian Nobility. Senators came to blows over jobs for their respective constituencies. Left-wing and right-wing senators had to be forcefully separated by Senate security and reseated. Notably, Senator Jakob Strauss of South Weihelm was rushed to the emergency room after almost being choked to death by Paul von Altgeld of Auglich. Paul will likely face no charges under laws protecting nobility and politicians in the Senate from being prosecuted over minor offenses.

As a result of the brawl, a vote of no confidence is scheduled for the end of the week. The current government is projected to fall. Opinion polling leans heavily toward the nationalists and democratic socialists with results split along partisan lines. Analysts fear that if an election were to occur today, the new government would pass amendments abolishing the monarchy. Others, however, say that the latest change to the Constitution make such a motion next to impossible to pass. Either way, the current state of affairs appears untenable and von Faulkner has evaded the media on the situation.

The views and opinions expressed in this article are solely those of the author(s) and other contributors. These views and opinions do not necessarily represent those of the Royal Broadcasting Corporation, the Stem van Azkelonica, or the Ascelonian Government.

MORE FROM INTERNATIONAL
  • Caroline Ruling Expected Next Week
  • Caroline's Tax Plan
  • Partnik: Q1 'Bigger than We Expected'
  • Monocled Man Fistfights Teen Bully
    Image Comments [ 2721 ] | Image E-mail | Image Share | Image Print
Last edited by Ascelonia on Mon May 20, 2013 6:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Elcric Kcalb
Diplomat

Corporate Police State

Postby Elcric Kcalb » Mon May 20, 2013 6:14 pm

Short article in bound, because I don't care much for writing more.

Kcalbite News Network

"That's Not Very Nice." - Exec. Chairman Wilhelm Adenauer

Gratenburg, Elcric Kcalb - A release of information within the United Republic of Emmeria prompted an emergency session of the Executive Chairman and his cabinet earlier today. The leak consisted of a telegram, now dubbed the "Gratenburg Telegram," which asserts the existence of a regional alliance between the Corporatocracy, the German Empire, New Belhavia, and potentially other parties. The telegram also asserts that the meeting cementing said alliance took place within Gratenburg, in addition to that the alliance had a vested interest in invading one country or another. At the end of the session, the Executive Chairman addressed reporters in regards to the article with the following statements.

"I'm not going to comment on the accuracy of that cable. It isn't really necessary at this point. What I will comment on is the United Republic's interest in giving us our 'Acaema, Afghanistan, and Vietnam.' That's not very nice. I'm inclined to believe that, when faced with such a statement, most leaders would get angry and say mean things. I don't think that's entirely necessary at this point either. People have said enough mean things in that "war of words" debacle going on. The very same debacle my staff and I have decided not to take part in- and will continue to do exactly that. It's rather silly."

"Fortunately enough, I don't like to get angry and say mean things, call for blood, fire the missiles, etc, etc. What I would like is for representatives from the U.R. to sit down with representatives from the Corporatocracy and, mayhaps, discuss the reasoning for wishing to give us such a hard time. We try to be reasonable here in the Corporatocracy, so it honestly should not be that alien an idea that Emmeria and Elcric Kcalb can cooperate on some level."

After these statements, the Executive Chairman declined further comments and questions.
Last edited by Elcric Kcalb on Mon May 20, 2013 6:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

The Fanboyists
Senator

Founded: Sep 21, 2007
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby The Fanboyists » Sat May 25, 2013 1:47 am

Move Pays Early Dividends
Polls Show Filie & Andrsunn with a commanding lead early in general race
May 15th, 2013

FAEDRULHULM, Allamunnic States - Two months later, the Centrist Coalition is receiving big rewards for the renewal of the coalition: with former Presidential Candidates Heinrich Grimm and Danielle Andrsunn out of the field and campaigning for the coalition (with Andrsunn set to become Chancellor if the party wins the elections). Over the earlier months of the campaigns, the two were perceived to be the biggest threat to President Andrew Filie's reelection bid. With arguably the three most popular candidates consolidated into a single bloc, the Centrist juggernaut looks to have maintained its momentum.

That is not, however, from lack of trying on the part of their opponents. Workers' Party candidate Eric Wilson, along with his running-mate, Edryk Hendriksunn, have been campaigning relentlessly, playing up what they call Filie's pro-wealthy agenda, arguing that he has not been tough enough on businesses that mistreat their workers.

In the heavily-industrial Allamunnic States, the balance between unions and big businesses is still a hot issue, with many claiming that work-places are still not safe enough, and that health benefits and job security for injured workers are insufficient compared to the dangers of work in the factories. Some argue that it is because the government (in particular the Filie administration) has not been tough enough on big businesses, while others claim that allowing large levels of unionization would destroy the national economy. Others claim that this is all a side-effect of legislation passed in 2009 intended to clean up the nation's environment, stating that this legislation passed the cost onto businesses, who have either cut pay and benefits or laid off workers, passing the cost onto taxpayers.

A planned strike at the automobile factories across the city of Meuse, the nation's largest automotive manufacturing center, is expected to test the administration's position on the issue.
Last edited by The Fanboyists on Sat May 25, 2013 2:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
Proud member of the Ajax role-playing community!
Ottonia, Draakur, and Untsangazar in Ajax
Terefuxe, formerly Allamunnic States (NSSport)

"The plans and schemes of tyrants are broken by many things. They shatter against cliffs of heroic struggle. They rupture on reefs of open resistance. And they are slowly eroded, bit by little bit, on the very beaches where they measure triumph, by countless grains of sand. By the stubborn little decencies of humble little men." -Eric Flint, Belisarius II: In The Heart of Darkness

The Fanboyists
Senator

Postby The Fanboyists » Sat May 25, 2013 2:37 am

Automotive Workers Strike in Meuse
Estimated 368,000 workers go on strike
May 19th, 2013

As threatened, workers at six automotive companies' factories went on strike yesterday after an incident earlier in the month in which a worker at Piekskaart was severely-injured in a workplace accident and was denied his pension and compensatory benefits. Workers employed by Northwatch Auto (also known as "Naut"), Burgurvogun, Piekskaart, Holt, Fedorson, and Meuse Motor Company are all involved in the strike.

Piekskaart CEO Galen Frost called the walk-off "unacceptable" and threatened those workers participating with the loss of their jobs. "This is not how we go about business here in the States, and in Meuse in particular." Of course, numerous union employees begged to differ.

"We tried everything else, petitioning the boards of directors, petitioning the government, asking for a federal investigation. Nothing seemed to get the executives' attention. So now, we've been left with no other choice," said a union member, asking that they not be identified.

Piekskaart, Fedorson, and the Meuse Motor Company have all announced plans to hire non-union workers to maintain production during the strike. No statement has been released by Holt, while Naut and Burgurvogun (both public-private partnership companies) have both indicated willingness to negotiate with workers.

Workers' Party presidential candidate Eric Wilson praised the unions and their representatives for being willing to take such action, calling them "an example of integrity for workers around the nation." One of his opponents, Isaac Muhlenkampf of the Moralist Coalition, disapproved in terms that cannot be printed in an all-ages news resource. At press-time, current-President Andrew Filie had yet to release a statement.

UPDATE: Filie has made an appearance on television with the governor of Northwatch and the mayor of Meuse, releasing a joint statement:
"While we do not oppose the Allamunnic Automotive Workers' right to strike and protest perceived unfair treatment, we ask both sides to remain open to negotiation, so as to avoid any outcome that would prove mutually-damaging."

Erin Brantley is a permanent staff member of TBC's Northwatch Office. She reported from Meuse.
Last edited by The Fanboyists on Sat May 25, 2013 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

"The plans and schemes of tyrants are broken by many things. They shatter against cliffs of heroic struggle. They rupture on reefs of open resistance. And they are slowly eroded, bit by little bit, on the very beaches where they measure triumph, by countless grains of sand. By the stubborn little decencies of humble little men." -Eric Flint, Belisarius II: In The Heart of Darkness

The Fanboyists
Senator

Postby The Fanboyists » Sat May 25, 2013 3:19 am

Strike Escalates, Violence at the Picket Lines
Seven injured after brawl erupts
May 24th, 2013

Strike-breaking workers attempted to enter a Piekskaart factory, yesterday, but they were met with resistance from strikers. During a small scuffle as strikers attempted to prevent the workers from entering the factory, a striker was struck in the face, which ignited a brawl between strikers and strike-breakers. Seven people were injured, although a total of nine persons received hospital attention after being arrested. The fight lasted about four minutes, witnesses report, at which point police monitoring the strikes separated the belligerents and arrested those involved. A total of eleven persons were arrested, with charges (likely of public disorder, as well as assault in a few cases) pending at press-time.

In response to the violence, Meuse Police Chief Domerik Skmyt ordered the police presence monitoring the strike to be increased from 26 officers to 43 officers, and with riot police on standby in the event of further violence. At a press conference, Skmyt stated that "no matter how strongly those involved feel about the strike, or those breaking it, there is no excuse for violence, now, or ever." He added that the police would allow the public demonstrations associated with the strike to continue so long as there was no further threat to public safety.

However, that was not enough for business owners, including Galen Frost, the CEO of Piekskaart, who announced that from now on, strike-breaking workers would be accompanied by private security personnel. "This company owes it to its consumers and stock-holders, as well as its other employees, to remain functioning and producing. The police are too few in number to help us protect this investment, nor is it their job, so to that end, we have hired security personnel who will henceforth be guarding all of our employees attempting to work during the strike." Executives at Meuse Motor Company and Fedorson have taken similar action, with the three companies hiring approximately 12,000 security personnel between them in Meuse alone.

Though the move is legal, several pundits and law enforcement officers have cried foul over it. Once officer, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, said that bringing in private security "is just adding kerosene to a powder keg." Others have echoed that state of mind, saying that the introduction of private security greatly increases the risk of further violence.

In related events, after brief negotiations involving guarantee of pensions and compensatory injury benefits, workers at Naut and Burgurvogun returned to work. It is believed that this will increase pressure on the four remaining companies suffering from the strike as their competitors return to full-capacity production.

Updates will continue from Meuse as events unfold.

Erin Brantley is a permanent staff member of TBC's Northwatch Office. She reported from Meuse.

New Belhavia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby New Belhavia » Sun May 26, 2013 9:54 pm

THE PROVISA TIMES

Imperial Senate Overwhelmingly Passes Stand-Alone Military Appropriations Bill After War Ministry's Lobbying

Pictured: Senate Majority Leader Ian Settas (C-Provisa) talking to reporters after the bill's passage.

Overwhelming Bipartisan Support Ensures "Strategic Naval Initiative" Is Fully Funded With Duty Surcharge
May 27th, 2013 | By Andrew Kominsky (akominsky@aij.org) (AIJ)

PROVISA, New Belhavia — Late Sunday evening, the Imperial Senate overwhelming passed an emergency stand-alone military appropriations bill 47 - 23, garnering exactly 2/3rds support in the chamber that crossed party lines. The passage of the bill is a victory for Senate Majority Leader Ian Settas (C-Provisa), a possible Conservative 2016 presidential candidate whose knack for coalition-building within the slow-to-move Imperial legislature prevailed on this key piece of appropriations.

Although the Imperial budget process begins in January and goes through committee write-ups and a floor vote by July 1st, the Imperial Navy had lobbied strongly for the emergency stand-alone appropriations bill, which can be considered without a lengthy committee review if its declared a "measure for national security" and has sustainable, specific spending cuts - called "offsets" in government parlance - or revenue sources attached to fully fund it.

Following the start of the global War of Words between the Anti-Communism Alliance (A.C.A.), the center-right defensive alliance and a geopolitical oppositional bloc led by the nation of Akimonad in February, the Imperial military High Command ordered a comprehensive strategic, operational, and geopolitical review of the Imperial Navy's capabilities following the turn of events on the world stage, which will affect Imperial force projection, particularly the Imperial Fleet's "blue water navy" abilities, toward global foes. After a two-month review process, Admiral Daniel Davos, the Chairman of the Imperial Naval Command, released a 44-page report called the "Strategic Naval Initiative" as a conclusion of the Navy's top-down review.

On May 1st, Davos outlined several shifts, both in the short-, medium-, and long-term, in the Imperial Navy's combat readiness, and overall operational focus. Chiefly, he announced that "[O]ur command ship and fire support capabilities will need to be modified in the changing condition of today's navy," pausing to comment that "[W]hile the Imperial Navy will continue to utilize modernized Iowa-class battleships in that operational sense, Naval Command believes that the Monarch-class battleship produced by Triumvirate Enterprises in Pardes will gradually become the primary warship class of command and fire support warships." He elaborated that "Following the 'cooling off' in the War of Words, the Empire's warmer relations with the Kingdom of Belfras will see the transfer of two Perun-class aviation battleships and one Monarch-class command ship from Belfrasian service to the Imperial Navy, where we can realize the needed shift in combat capabilities outlined in the Strategic Naval Initiative." This revamping of Navy warships will cost hundreds of billions of dollars over the next few years, coinciding with the SNI report's call to raise the overall number of commissioned warships to 750 by 2018.

Within days of the unveiling of the SNI report, Admiral Davos and multiple senior officers within the Imperial War Ministry publicly called on the Imperial Senate to pass a stand-alone military appropriations bill to fund this five-year naval expansion. President Goldman endorsed the measure a week later during an interview on INN. War Minister Jan Argan and Admiral Davos did a week-long media blitz to promote the Strategic Naval Initiative. On May 16th, a bipartisan contingent of national security hawks led by Foreign Relations Committee Chairman Senator Adrian Kalian (C-Dakos) announced that the anticipated funds to pay for the military expansion could be raised through a 1.5% custom duty surcharge on all imports, levied on top of existing tariffs, which differ on a sliding scale depending on the good. The Imperial Budget Office estimated in January that the average tariff on an imported good was 2.1%.

In the last week, Senate Majority Leader Ian Settas whipped his Conservative Party caucus, as well as sympathetic swing votes in the Liberal Democratic Party caucus, and scheduled a vote for Sunday, remarking Thursday afternoon that "I have [all] the votes I need to pass this bill," referencing anonymous tips to the press that Settas had at least 42 votes to defeat a filibuster, which requires 60% of members to vote to proceed in a cloture floor vote to defeat a filibuster in the 70-member Senate chamber. On Saturday, the Senate engaged in a marathon session that defeated almost all attempts to add amendments, called "riders," onto the appropriation package. At 10:36 pm on Sunday, Settas announced that with all votes cast, the bill passed 47 to 23, with 'yes' votes coming from 37 Conservatives and 10 Liberal Democrats, and 15 Lib Dems, all 4 Libertarians, and 4 Conservatives voting 'no'. Nearly the entire Conservative caucus, which has a solid 41-member majority, backed the measure, with all ten crossover Lib Dem votes coming from "rightist" moderates. The 15 'no' Lib Dem votes came from the so-called 'peaceniks' from the left-wing of the center-left opposition party. All four Libertarian Party senators, all staunchly opposed to interventionism abroad, were joined by four libertarian Conservatives, who defected to vote no.

The bill has the 1.5% custom duty surcharge levied at all points of entry into the Empire starting June 1st at 12:01am by the Imperial Department of Immigration, Border Enforcement, and Customs, an Interior Ministry organ that is directed by statute to collect all tariffs, duties, and import taxes for the Ministry of the Treasury.

Andrew Kominsky reported from Provisa, N.B. None of these organizations are associated with the AIJ, and all opinions and personal views in the article do not reflect the viewpoints of the AIJ or their employees.

MORE IN TOP STORIES
  • Youtube Parody 'The Twit of Opexion' Most Viewed Video Among Belhavian Teens, Study Finds [ 5709 ]
  • Berlin: Communist Insurgency Engulfs Vast Dominion; A.C.A. Forces Dispatched [ 9045 ]
  • War of Words 'Cools Down,' Prompting New Diplomatic Ties in Pardes with Provisa [ 90 ]
  • Navy to Senate: Strategic Naval Initiative Funding "Vital" For National, Geopolitical Security [ 674 ]
    Image Comments [ 45 ] | Image E-mail this article
Last edited by New Belhavia on Sun May 26, 2013 10:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Empire of Belhavia

New Belhavia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby New Belhavia » Wed May 29, 2013 9:08 pm

THE PROVISA TIMES

Freeport Senate '14: Gray, Haller "Gearing Up" for Marquee Senate Campaign, Sources Say

Pictured: Deputy Foreign Minister for Allied Affairs Jacen Gray interviewing with Jack McCoy on INN's The Arena earlier this week.

Open Freeport Senate Seat Is Up-For-Grabs in 2014 Midterm Elections
May 29th, 2013 | By Andrew Kominsky (akominsky@aij.org) (AIJ)

PROVISA, New Belhavia — First reported on the political junkies' website ProvisaInsider.com, several high-placed sources - both Conservative and Liberal Democrat - have come forward to reveal that both Deputy Foreign Minister for Allied Affairs Jacen Gray, the youthful so-called "ACA spokesman" and second son of corporate mogul Harold Gray, who is the presumptive Conservative frontrunner, and former provincial governor Jack Haller on the Lib Dem side, are signalling their intentions to enter the race for the open Imperial Senate seat in the eastern Freeport province.

Several senior Gray aides have recently left his office, and have registered a SuperPAC 'Freeport Taxpayers' First', a pro-Gray independent expenditures political committee that can raise and spend unlimited amounts of money in the upcoming election. It's been well-published that the aspiring politician and visible icon of wealthy Provisa has used his perch in the Foreign Ministry to increase his name recognition and to build foreign policy bona fides, along with patriotic credentials. Several well-known Conservative political operatives, long-time staffers, and a pollster all confirmed under the cloak of anonymity that they were signed up on the Gray Senate campaign-in-waiting. Statistician Nathan Filnerian, a non-partisan political handicapper, opined that "[Jacen] Gray's name recognition is sky-high...he went from zero to sixty within three-and-a-half months. He's snapping up all the best [Conservative political] talent in the province...[and] even bringing in some operatives from the capital for his campaign. This will be a top-notch political team."

Jack Haller, a popular Lib Dem governor of the province for most of the 1990s who left office in 2003, has been making his own moves. Haller has been atop several Lib Dem primary polls, capturing between three in ten and four in ten primary voters in a crowded, seven-way race. Quietly, well-placed Liberal Democrats acknowledge Haller intends to enter, and when he does, he'll clear the field with an experienced campaign team, well-developed fundraising networks, high name recognition, and high favorability and likability numbers. A prominent provincial Lib Dem pollster admitted that "Haller's snatching up all the best staffers...if I wasn't on another province-wide campaign already, I'd be with Haller's shadow campaign." A major fundraiser for the Freeport City Liberal Democratic Party machine added that "I know all the major [donors] are waiting for Haller. Once he announces, they're cutting checks like it was yesterday. The other [candidates] have no shot, really."

Haller, currently the Government Affairs executive vice-president at telecommunications giant Imperial Information Technologies, has been on a "listening tour" of Freeport, visiting middle-income neighborhoods, small businesses, and public buildings in a pseudo-campaign stop fashion. A poll out by the Conservative National Committee on Monday had Gray running at 45% to Haller's 43%. A public poll by the Provisa Herald and Callas College Surveys, Ltd., two months ago pegged Gray at 41% and Haller slightly ahead at 44%. Campaign watchers all agree that the race is razer-thin between the presumptive Conservative and Lib Dem frontrunners.

Senate Balance of Power: Can the Lib Dems Retake the Chamber?

Political scientists are skeptical that the Liberal Democrats can gain enough seats to retake the majority. In the 70-member legislature, the Conservatives hold 41 seats, to the Lib Dems' 25 and Libertarians' 4. Julius Levan, a sage-like national political prognosticator, argued that "[t]he Liberal Democratic Party is extremely unlike to successfully run the table and gain eleven seats to retake the majority. But is possible, though, is a reduction in the Cons' almost-super-majority." He pointed to the open Freeport Senate seat, saying that "The fact that [it is] competitive at all is a bad sign for the Lib Dems...they need to hold [this] seat and gain eleven more. Even if Haller fends off Gray - a huge gamble in and of itself - and all four Conservatives and one Libertarian senators in LD provinces fall...they still come up short."

Jason Ruyon, a spokesman for the Liberal Democratic National Committee in Provisa, crowed that "[o]ur party is well-placed to regain the majority with our common-sense agenda of sensible government and Monarchy reforms, opposed to the far-right fringe, failed right-wing Robin-Hood-in-Reverse policies of the Goldman-Settas-Gray Conservatives." When asked for polls or other evidence to back up his claims, Ruyon refused to comment further.

"The Lib Dems will be lucky if they don't lose more seats," asserted Nicolas Asseltan, a former right-leaning Independent senator who retired in 2008. "The way the Lib Dems are going - with their left-wing non-sense, opposing the A.C.A. and other ridiculous policy positions...I highly doubt they'll exist in ten years." Commented former Liberal Democratic Party National Chairman Fabian Bakstub, a member of the more moderate "rightist" Lib Dem faction, "If my party doesn't get with the 21st century, I fear the LDP will cease to compete on an Empire-wide level in thirty years."

Andrew Kominsky reported from Provisa, N.B. None of these organizations are associated with the AIJ, and all opinions and personal views in the article do not reflect the viewpoints of the AIJ or their employees.

MORE IN TOP STORIES
  • Professor of Culture at MPU Compares "Hate" to "Holocaust"; Gets Sacked [ 10236 ]
  • Department of Internal Security Raid in Dakos Busts $4.5 Million in Smuggled Akimonadi Goods [ 457 ]
  • Hansdann: Austro-Hungarian Fears of Imperial-Belfras Warship Deal "Unjustified," "Unnecessary" [ 635 ]
  • Experts on Oured's Grat Pact Debacle: Is Emmeria Still Interested in Detente? [ 99 ]
    Image Comments [ 51 ] | Image E-mail this article
The Empire of Belhavia

Ascelonia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Ascelonia » Thu May 30, 2013 1:39 am

Vote of No Confidence Passes; Stunning Upset in Caroline Ruling

New face of Ascelonia?

Government Under Siege
February 15th, 2013
By Patrik V. Rosgeld (pvrosgeld@sva.org)

CYRONE, Ascelonia - After the recent streak of scandals and resignations, the National Assembly convened on Friday for a vote of no confidence. The motion passed in a landslide 586-170 vote with a stunning 244 abstentions. Representatives of the Monarchist Party struggled to reach an agreement on a position during the debate prior to the vote while members of the Conservative Party abstained. In a shocking twist, Ascelonia First agreed to vote with the Democratic Socialists and Labour as well as a smaller coalition of left-leaning independents. As a result, the government has fallen and new elections are expected within the coming weeks, pending a decision on the date by the Ascelonian Independent Election Commission.

In response to these events, Monarchist Party leader von Faulkner finally made a statement: "With regards to the haters, I ran this government for the last twelve years under three Emperors. I presided over one of the longest periods of economic growth and productivity, yet now everyone seeks to tarnish my reputation. I see myself backstabbed by the coalition I helped build and tossed aside like a dirty tissue, because of problems and crises they created. Of course, I'm getting old. Of course, I need time off. Now if the public really needs to get into my business, they should know I've been suffering from cancer for the last half year. Yes, I've been seeking treatment in private. No, I don't care about Cyrone, Parliament, or Caroline anymore. Now, bugger off you vultures."

Conservative leader Kevin Lewell issued a response: "This administration remained silent for far too long while the country has fallen apart at the seams. For God's sakes, we can't even pass a budget proposal to fund the troops in Cyrone. This is a terrible travesty and von Faulkner ought to be ashamed of himself for disgracing the country and drawing us closer to the brink of chaos. Moreover, von Faulkner's dubious ties to the House of Azkelon have made him as incontinent as the last two Emperors. We cannot endorse the continuous lies and scandals any longer. I stand with the Crown Prince of Ascelonia as the legal heir to the throne and I will have none of this Caroline nonsense. And I will see the rest of you lot at the polls."

Unfortunately, Crown Prince Frederik Gotfrij still remains unseen for the sixth month in a row. It's uncertain if he is dead or alive and no one knows whether he's prepared to turn down the throne a second time in his life. If he does not return, then Prince Valerien II of Arkadica from the House of Nemskar and Princess Layla of Numera from the House of Svengaard are the next two in line for the throne as the closest blood relatives of Kristaan. Valerien II has gone to press on several occasions, supporting the current Crown Prince as the legitimate heir. Layla has yet to talk to the media, however. A string of noblemen and noblewomen as well as random commonfolk have appeared on Phoenix.tv, the nation's premier video-hosting website, as well as Ascelonian Youtube, appealing to the public to support their claim to the throne. The videos have garnered millions of views with dozens of parodies, going viral in a matter of days.

A new odd-ball alliance of Democratic-Socialists, Labourmen, and Nationalists stood side-by-side in a high school auditorium in Cyrone with a few independents in the background as Labour Party leader Josef Kindlesmann read an announcement, "Following the string of recent scandals and disagreements, we no longer have confidence in von Faulkner to continue leading the coalition. Although we have been complacent in the past, the time for action has come now to dismantle this terrible government and build anew. As of now, we, the representative elected by the people to stand in for their views, no longer believe that the monarchy is in their best interests. Moreover, we see the increasingly erratic behavior by the past two Emperors as indicative of the inherently unstable nature of authoritarian leadership. As such, we come together as a rainbow coalition of varying interests and diverse views, to abolish this dinosaur institution."

Meanwhile, forces within the Senate have remained silent as the institution more or less reviews laws passed by the Assembly and works with the Emperor on foreign policy. The Monarchists in both houses have not responded to any of our inquiries and their leaders have declined to make any statements regarding the fall of the government. In related news, the Supreme Court of Ascelonia has ruled 5 to 3 with 1 abstention in landmark decision in favor of Caroline's succession to the throne. Notably, however, judges on both sides have brought their opinions into public forums in order to appeal to the general sentiments of the Ascelonian public.

In a speech after the ruling, Chief Justice Georg Woller said the following, "Normally, I would not engage an activities considered 'activist'. I've fought my entire life trying to avoid the label and enforce the laws thrown upon me, but I've waited too long. For the past decade during my tenure as a Justice of the Supreme Court, I've watched as the Parliament stripped down the institutions of law and defunded the justice system. We've seen criminals deported into cordoned off 'slumzones' simply because housing them and feeding them in prison is too expensive. This an outrage and I cannot condone this continued mockery of the legal code. If supporting Caroline makes me some kind of heretic, then so be it. She has the support of her predecessor and the support of God on her side. You try to kill her. I know the Senate has already."

Woller declined to explain some of his accusations, but he did continue, "For the sake of unity, I want everyone to set aside their doubts and find it the answer to this question in their hearts: 'Who will serve this country better?' If you can answer that, you will know who should occupy the throne."

On the other hand, Justice Rudolf Ellsberg spoke at a legal conference at Bellardine University emphasizing his strong opposition to the ruling, "I abstained on the matter, not because I didn't oppose Caroline. No. I abstained, because the court already decided who they were going to vote for before they even considered the facts and the fact is that Caroline's claim is as strong as a tinfoil. By God, I abstained in principle. Principles, good sirs. Principles are what countries are built on. Precedents. Laws. The Caroline case overthrows the entire legal system. Lord help us, we might as well have stood over the Constitution and taken a good whiz. Look, she isn't Ascelonian, she doesn't have the royal bloodline, and she can only claim the throne via Kristaan, who's lost his marbles like his uncle. This is a disgrace to the institution of justice and you should all remember what happened here. We came out with a ruling before we even wrote the opinions."

Lastly, the second in line to the throne, if Caroline's bid failed, Valerian II declared before an auditorium in Sufram, Arkadica, "Today, we see the dawn of a new era. A terrible epoch for Ascelonia. We've seen the overthrow of our monarchy and the usurpation of our moral values. This whore has taken that which is my birthright, the throne. Seeing as how Kristaan resigned and Frederik Gotfrij II is nowhere to be seen, I am next in line to the throne, not some Blomburger slut. I think Ascelonians will know that I am the true heir and support me against this self-conceited bitch. We will take back this country no matter the cost, even if we must do so by force of arms. We will hang Caroline from the highest tree in the land and we will purge the Parliament of those who doubt the strength of our beloved monarchy. Long live the House of Nemskar. Long live Ascelonia."

MORE FROM INTERNATIONAL
  • Editorial: No Country for Young Men
  • Caroline Ruling Analysis
  • Violent Thugs Attack Cyrone Airport
  • Senator Paul von Emlund: "Caroline is a threat"
    Image Comments [ 3625 ] | Image E-mail | Image Share | Image Print

New Belhavia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby New Belhavia » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:19 pm

[OoC note: I had Pruss' blessing to RP Bismarck in my article's first paragraphs.]

THE PROVISA TIMES

In A Startling Move, the A.C.A. Disbands, German Foreign Ministry Says

Pictured: The Anti-Communism Alliance (A.C.A.) Central Administration Building in downtown Berlin, German Empire.

German Foreign Minister: The Alliance "Has Fulfilled Its Purpose Brilliantly"
June 24th, 2013 | By Andrew Kominsky (akominsky@aij.org) (AIJ)

PROVISA, New Belhavia — In a unforeseen move, the international geopolitical stage was turned upside down as the German Foreign Ministry announced that the Anti-Communism Alliance (A.C.A.), a center-right global defensive alliance dedicated to fighting far-left dictatorships and defending economic freedom, has disbanded effective immediately. Foreign Minister Bismarck announced at an impromptu press conference Monday afternoon in downtown Berlin that "[t]he Kaiser, in consultation with the alliance Grand Council delegates, has decided that the [A.C.A.] has achieved its purpose and no longer needs to continue to function as a coherent organization," continuing that "the alliance will be dissolved hereby immediately."

When pressed for comment by an array of international reporters, Bismarck remarked that "[the German Empire] has always envisioned an end point for the alliance; once its objective was concluded, there would be no further need for it." One journalist asked if this was a victory for the anti-ACA geopolitical oppositional bloc led by the nation of Akimonad, to which the German Foreign Minister quipped, "Not for an Autobahn minute. This decision was made by our highest echelons, of our own volition. Without even a shot fired. The foes of Germany may try to pat themselves on the back, but they had no involvement in His Majesty [the Kaiser]'s decision on the [A.C.A.]'s fate."

The Imperial Leadership Scrambles In Wake of Geopolitical Chaos

The senior tier of Imperial officials seemed to react in a distracted fog, their usual confident - even arrogant or snarky - demeanor in foreign affairs having seemingly vanished. The Imperial Foreign Ministry released a curt statement to all Provisa pool reporters from major domestic and foreign media outlets: "The Empire of New Belhavia has always stood as a beacon of freedom and liberty, fighting to spread economic prosperity and freeing the oppressed peoples of the world from the discredited, evil communist ideology that that still tyrannizes select nations around the world. The Empire's geopolitical Anti-Communist Project will continue, whether the A.C.A. had lived on as a global organization or not."

Deputy Foreign Minister for Allied Affairs Jacen Gray, the son of corporate mogul Harold Gray, the so-called "global face of the A.C.A.," and likely Senate aspirant for the open Freeport seat in 2014, has keep a low profile since news broke about the ACA's dissolution. A spokesman for the deputy Foreign Minister's office declined to answer any questions. Mr. Gray, found by reporters having lunch with colleagues at the premier Emmerian restaurant Cafe Ouredian, waved off an onslaught of questions, saying offhandedly as he left that "this notion of me being the 'face of the ACA' or its 'spokesman' is categorically false...a label promoted by others who know, frankly, nothing." He left without further comment. Opposition Liberal Democrats, led by his likely Lib Dem opponent in the Freeport Senate race, ex-governor Jack Haller, piled on what they called Mr. Gray's "flip-flopping," charging the unofficial Conservative candidate as a hypocrite and "far-right extremist," allegations senior Conservative Party leaders immediately denounced as malicious and "patently wrong."

The Offices of His Majesty and the President both refused comment, declining to respond to reporter inquiries. Imperial Foreign Minister Joseph Hansdann, however, summoned reporters for a brief press conference inside the Ministry. When pressed on Belhavian intentions going forward with former geopolitical foes such as the Republic and Commonwealth of Akimonad, among others, Hansdann adopted a conciliatory tone. "The Empire [of New Belhavia] has, at times, had an acrimonious relation with many nations, particularly the Akimonadis, who as geopolitical...sparring partners...engaged in heated rhetoric." Raising the palms of his hands, the Foreign Minister shrugged, "But really, the A.C.A. business aside...New Belhavia and Akimonad have much in common...similiar cultures, politics, etc. We would be amenable to repairing diplomatic relations and re-examining things such as trade embargoes," adding hastily, "Only, of course, if nations such as Akimonad are mutually interested in doing so as well."

On the Rise and Fall of the A.C.A.: Is the Global Trend Towards Anti-Communism Its Lasting Legacy?

The Provisa political establishment, including politicians, pundits, academics, and government officials, has scrambled to form coherent theories of how the Empire proceeds in a post-A.C.A. world order. On the hard right, a faction of ultra-nationalists have rallied around ACA stalwarts Senator James Gulden (C-Raffen) and neoconservative think tank scholar Jeffrey Goldberg. Goldberg, when reached for comment, argued that "the global rightward shift [towards anti-communism] by a vast majority of first-rate worlds in our current international system is a clear indication that the A.C.A., as [Foreign] Minister Bismarck suggested, has 'achieved its purpose.' Before the A.C.A.'s rapid rise and global ascendency, the communist and socialist blocs had an advantage in crafting world politics." He elaborated, "With the [A.C.A.] on the scene this past year, international geopolitics took a swift turn to the right. Even the libertarian white knight faction," crudely referring to the anti-ACA bloc, "Had stepped up its anti-communist policing actions and foreign policy. This is the A.C.A.'s lasting legacy." He concluded.

However, domestic ACA critics and opponents, such as Scott Lerner, a left-leaning scholar at the centrist Provisa think tank, The Center for Responsible Media and Government (CRMG), asserted that "[t]he Akimonadis and Emmerians [were] right on point - the A.C.A. was a crypto-fascist alliance of warmongers and tyrannies, and our country's role in it was shameful and disgusting." He continued that "we should atone for our membership and conduct by allying ourselves with [our] former geopolitical foes - Akimonad, Emmeria, Austria-Bohemia-Hungary, the United States of Minnysota - right in our geographic backyard - and others." Leading Liberal Democratic Senator John Fellan of Merrina Province, an outspoken member of the opposition party's far left-wing, essentially concurred. "We must demonstrate to the virtuous nations of the international community that New Belhavia will shake off the taint of the ACA and recalibrate its foreign policy towards Kent, Oured, and so on."

However, Senator Gulden advocated a different vision: "[New] Belhavia must maintain its prominence in the community of now-defunct ACA nations, to rally them in a new offensive against the world's remaining few Communist and socialist regimes. Our foes can not be accommodated! Only through a neo-A.C.A. league rising from the ashes of Berlin's failed endeavor can we accomplish the Anti-Communist Project through the utter and wanton destruction of the Communist bloc."

Bracketed by these extremes - or in spite of them - a new consensus is emerging among the majority of the political establishment. Co-opting ideas from both hardline rhetorical camps, a mainstream faction led by Senate Majority Leader Ian Settas (C-Provisa), a possible 2016 presidential contender, has put forward a different path. "The Empire [of New Belhavia] has already established an alternative, non-A.C.A. geopolitical network of influence, diplomatic ties, and alliances," Settas spoke candidly in an exclusive interview granted to the Provisa Times. "The United Republic [of Emmeria], the Itailian Empire, [the Kingdom of] Belfras, Gratislavia, [the Kingdom of] Afalia, and so on...the Empire is free to build a course in a rightist, anti-communist community of global powers who are eager to leave [New] Belhavia's A.C.A. past behind to craft a new world stage...where the few remnants of Communist regimes are isolated, neutralized, and liberated. I feel confident about our nation's path going forward."

Andrew Kominsky reported from Provisa, N.B. Joseph T. Kollen reported from Berlin, Germany. None of these organizations are associated with the AIJ, and all opinions and personal views in the article do not reflect the viewpoints of the AIJ or their employees.

MORE IN SPECIAL EDITION: A.C.A. COLLAPSE
  • Analysts Are Divided: What is New Belhavia's Geopolitical Path Forward? [ 10236 ]
  • War Ministry Announces Naval Base Lease in Itailian Empire [ 906 ]
  • Lib Dems Attack Jacen Gray as 'Flip-Flopper' As Deputy Foreign Minister Denies Having Been "ACA Spokesman" [ 6341 ]
  • ACA Hardliner Pundits Rally Around Sen. Gulden, Analyst Jeffrey Goldberg [ 99 ]
    Image Comments [ 498 ] | Image E-mail this article
Last edited by New Belhavia on Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.
The Empire of Belhavia

Ascelonia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Ascelonia » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:40 pm

Markets Uncertain as ACA Disbands

Stock indices drop as word of ACA's demise spreads.

ACA No More Today
June 24th, 2013
By Patrik V. Rosgeld (pvrosgeld@sva.org)

Mednordia City, Mednordian International Canal Zone - Facing extreme pressure from it's critics, the Anti-Communism Alliance disbanded today with an announcement from its long time de facto leader, Kaiser B.E. Steinbach of the German Empire. The organization left an indelible mark on the world with its firebrand politics and aggressive positioning that almost drew its membership into a war with right-wing Pardesian statess. Moreover, the threat of intervention from Akimonad against the increasingly belligerent German Empire prior to the dissolution of the coalition lead some experts to believe that Akimonad and its allies forced Bismarck into a position where dismantling the alliance was his only option.

Dr. Harald Joohal of the Institute of Tyrrhenian Affairs, a foreign policy think-tank based in Cyrone, remarked, "The fact that the ACA disbanded so suddenly and without explanation must be a certain indication of tensions building up behind the scenes. Bismarck either couldn't keep a lid on internal issues or he couldn't wiggle out of the mounting crisis with Akimonad." Joohal went on to explain that the German Empire's actions have left a power vacuum in the region. "Without a Tyrrhenian organization in the international scene, the region will likely be less secure and more prone to piracy and imperialism from outside." Joohal's concerns have been reflected in the presence of extraregional leftist military forces in Levantia and a sharp decline in investor confidence at home.

The MEDNDEX, or the Mednordia Investment Index, dropped 173 points today as speculators coped with the news of the ACA's demise. In particular, the armaments industry, recently recovering from the succession crisis and the government's insolvency, suffered huge losses in derivatives and futures. Several other export sectors of the economy lost significant value with businesses that dealt with the German Empire, including a couple of tobacco retailers and shipping firms, taking the brunt of the impact. The losses began immediately following the announcement from Berlin, halting once Empress Caroline made an appearance with elected Chancellor Tahira in the Mednordian International Canal Zone to declare Ascelonian intentions to protect regional trade and defend the region against external threats.

"Today, we've seen the failure of aggressive 'diplomacy'. Violent posturing with belligerent rhetoric only creates enemies. Bismarck and Steinbach were men who sought battles with democratic republics and their sympathizers. They ended up making enemies out of democracies and republics. That will not be our perogative," Caroline said with a dozen of the country's leading businessmen at her back. "Ascelonia will not seek enemies outside the region. However, we will build partnerships with other countries who value free trade and free markets, and we will continue defending this region, not because some politician says so, but because the people of the country and the free peoples of the region demand it."

Amid the speech, several left-wing protestors heckled Caroline before being driven off with anti-capitalist slogans and red banners. Toward the close of the rally, Caroline handed off the microphone to Chancellor Tahira who had this to say, "We are not an imperialist nation and we will not seek unilateral policies in the region. In fact, we are currently in talks with allies and friendly countries in the region to plan for a future without the ACA and with a strong regional defense policy." Several pundits, especially on left-leaning talk shows, have blasted the speech despite the fact that the stock market's sharp drop slowed as a result of it.

Ascelonia Tonight's Rebecca Aversly spoke to an audience of twenty million viewers, "Caroline's playing a dangerous game. She can't pursue an interventionist policy like her predecessors. That's why we were several trillion dollars in debt and why we were forced to sell off major government assets. We cannot continue down the path of privatization and economic liberalization. We need more protections and more spending at home instead of abroad."

On the other hand, political theorist and international relations specialist Jorhal said this about the new Empress, "Caroline, unlike Steinbach, knows where to delegate her authority. She knows that she needs to work with other nations and give them a say in any partnership. However, she's not the type who would let them exploit our friendliness and generosity. Carolinian politics and policies are here to stay and, based on what we've seen thus far, that's a damn good thing."

MORE FROM INTERNATIONAL
  • Tahira: God Needed in Classrooms
  • Werhaal Steel Declares Bankruptcy
  • Podolski Trial Continues
  • Chief Justice Resigns
    Image Comments [ 2736 ] | Image E-mail | Image Share | Image Print
Last edited by Ascelonia on Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

New Belhavia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby New Belhavia » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:34 pm

THE PROVISA TIMES

Joint Belhavian-Ascelonian Naval Exercises Launched in South Tyrrhenian Sea in Empire's First Post-A.C.A. Move

Pictured: Imperial War Minister Jan Argan gesturing at a press conference Friday afternoon.

Argan: Joint Naval Exercises "Due To Closer Geopolitical Relationship" Between Nations
June 28th, 2013 | By Joseph T. Kollen (jtkollen@aij.org) (AIJ)

PROVISA, New Belhavia — Late Friday afternoon, Imperial War Minister Jan Argan announced that the Empire of New Belhavia and Western Tyrrhenian nation of the Grand Republic of Ascelonia would be conducting joint military exercises, starting this weekend and continuing for two weeks. The Ascelonian 3rd Levantian Task Force, commanded by Commodore Valeria Behrstein from the Caroline-class fleet carrier HMS Relentless, will conduct maritime and amphibious naval war games with the Imperial 3rd Fleet, headed by Rear Admiral Davin Jacobson in his flagship, the De Ruyter-class Battlecruiser Counterpunch. The Imperial 3rd Fleet is based in the Shelvay Islands Crown Territory deep in the South Tyrrhenian Sea nearby German and other tropical colonies.

The two naval squadrons will transverse the South Tyrrhenian Sea, rendezvousing north of the Aurelius Islands and engage in a round of war games that will see the two strike forces head south to Lamehk, north to port calls in the small western Waldenburger principality of Krune, before parting ways. During the southern leg of the exercises, the joint force will practice amphibious landing missions in the Shelvay Islands Territory. At the press conference, War Minister Argan lauded the move as "[a] sign of closer relations...it's due to [our] closer geopolitical relationship over the last few months." He added that he "anticipates both naval fleets will conduct themselves professionally, productively, and honorably," quipping, "we don't want a war, now do we?" This elicited chuckles from the gathered journalists.

Is Caroline Positioning Ascelonia Towards the Grat Pact, Eastern Tyrrhenian Powers?

After the recently-ended Ascelonian War of Succession, more commonly called the "Succession Crisis" within the Grand Republic itself, Empress Caroline is a broadly-popular monarch but whose reign is threatened by her tenuous hold over Ascelonian elites, many of whom opposed her bid for the throne. Professor Alan Kierkgaard, an Ascelonian political scientist who is a guest lecturer at Imperial Provisa University, asserted that "[Empress] Caroline needs to recalibrate her foreign policy...the previous policy of restraint and pseudo-isolationism hasn't worked - and won't work - thus threatening her reign." He elaborated, "a more forceful foreign policy by her will solidify her strength among Ascelonia's middle and lower strata, while weakening opposition from elites."

Jeffrey Goldberg, a noted realist thinker whose prominence in the public sphere on the news network circuit and, more recently, a leader of a faction of stalwarts still hewing to the defense of the now-defunct Anti-Communism Alliance (A.C.A.), argues that "Ascelonia has taken steps in recent months to align itself with East Tyrrhenia, where the 'Grat Pact' nations, who are the regional hegemons, lie...its a shrewd strategy: she opens up new markets and alliances, while allowing the 'Grat Pact' to do the heavy lifting." Sam Waterson, a regional security consultant at the Sam Rohr International Relations Policy Center who first made public rumors about the shadowy tripartite geopolitical league between the Empire, Germany, and Elcric Kcalb, opined that "[Empress] Caroline is walking a political tightrope...on the one hand, she risks a backlash at home if she seems to be 'cozying' up with the Grat Pact regional hegemons." He continued "on the other hand, however, she needs to secure Ascelonia's place in the regional order, and that means coming to terms with the Grat Pact leaders."

The Empire's reach into Western Tyrrhenia is limited. Imperial embassies and private industry trade contacts are fairly modest, though Ascelonia has moved up the Imperial Economic Statistics Bureau (IESB)'s ranking list of regional trade partners from 33rd to 21st since 2003. The closest Belhavian military presence is in northwest Cukarica, where the Imperial High Command has 50,000 ground troops, a full Air Wing, and a carrier strike force. "The outreach goes both ways," Goldberg added. "Ascelonia comes closer to East Tyrrhenia, but New Belhavia and other Grat Pact nations may begin to have some influence in Western Tyrrhenia as well." "Indeed," Waterson concurred, it is a two-way street. The Imperial leadership knows what its doing here."

Joseph T. Kollen reported from Provisa, N.B. Andrew Kominsky reported from Mednordia City, Mednordian International Canal Zone. None of these organizations are associated with the AIJ, and all opinions and personal views in the article do not reflect the viewpoints of the AIJ or their employees.

MORE IN INTERNATIONAL
  • Reports: Settas To Give Foreign Policy Speech on Empire's Post-A.C.A. Geopolitical Future Next Week [ 1596 ]
  • Organizing Pardes Command "Going Smoothly" for 5th Fleet in Italia, Warren Says [ 722 ]
  • Valerie Hynes Exclusive Expose: Inside the Belhavian-Akimonadi Relationship [ 894 ]
  • Gray Industries Goes After Roth Industries' Pardesi Market Share in New Product Launch [ 76 ]
    Image Comments [ 98 ] | Image E-mail this article
Last edited by New Belhavia on Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Empire of Belhavia

New Belhavia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby New Belhavia » Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:13 pm

[OoC: This is my ICly debut of my TIME magazine-equivalent. It's been around since the 1910s (the RL TIME was circa 1923).]

THE GLOBAL TELEGRAPH

The Conservative Savior?

How Ian Settas May Be the Conservatives' Best Hope of Retaining Control of Belhavian Politics
July 4th, 2013 | By James Wellon (jw@time.org)

A Political Dynasty Continued

Ian Settas was born July 9th, 1978. Two-and-half years later, his father Julian Settas would ascend into the Imperial presidency as the first Conservative since the early 1960s. From 1968 through to 1980, the Liberal Democrats had monopolized political power in the Empire. Running and winning on foreign ideologies such as Keynesianism, social democracy - even moderate socialism - the Empire seemed to be on the road to a leftist dystopia that is currently inhabited by today's West European nations. The global protests of 1968 had shifted the country towards the center-left, the academia of the day predicted, and the Lib Dems would be on the road to a permanent electoral majority as religiosity dipped, leftism spread among the Imperial youth, and the Imperial government grew in power and expenditure. And yet the Revolution of 1980 - then-Senator Julian Settas' decisive victory over Lib Dem incumbent Richard Novian Sr. and the electoral rout of the Lib Dem majority in the Imperial Senate - changed all that. The academics of the late 1960s and 1970s were wrong. Since 1980, the country has been on track to a permanent Conservative majority - and Ian Settas may be the key to its continuation.

Young Ian was only three when his father was inaugurated in January 1981, but he would attend every presidential inauguration since. As the only son, Julian Settas groomed his son to eventually take over the reins of political power within the Conservative Party and prolong the Settas political dynasty. In 1996, Mr. Settas attended Harvard University in the United States. He wrote at the time that "the [U.S.] Republicans have served as a successful model of how to win. I'm taking close notes." Also attending Harvard around the same time was Michael Roth, the eldest son and now-C.E.O. of Roth Industries. Professors reported that the pair because fast friends, and cemented an alliance of political and corporate power together.

In 2004, at a ripe age of 26, the aspiring Settas decided to end his short foray into corporate law and run for the open Imperial Senate seat in Provisa. His father rallied the troops - calling in favors, securing contributions from longtime donors, holding events to galvanize the grassroots - while his old college best friend Michael Roth bundled millions from Corporate Belhavia into Settas' campaign. He won decisively, beating a popular former Lib Dem Provisa mayor with 55% of the vote.

His political career bright and heavy with expectations, the young Senator kept his head down, throwing himself into Senate business, cultivating ties in all wings of the Conservative Party, and toeing the party leadership line. With scandal-ridden Senator Adolphus Reitiz' resignation as Senate Majority Leader in early January 2012, Ian Settas saw his opportunity. It really wasn't a match - the party caucus was not going to oppose the son of the most popular and beloved Conservative president in half-a-century. He won. Only 34 years old, Ian Settas could add Senate Majority Leader to his resume of titles and accomplishments.

The Rise & Fall of the A.C.A.: The Conservatives' Lethal Gamble?

The international geopolitical order erupted into profound chaos as the Anti-Communism Alliance formally dissolved. The premier center-right anti-communist alliance had, in a matter of months, become a key world player in global politics. Founded in June 2012, within two months the alliance had become embroiled in the Karentenyia War. Though a tactical defeat, the alliance would grow more prominent as it attracted nation-states as new members in regions across the globe.

The A.C.A. was seen as a boon for the Conservatives: Fiercely anti-communism, joyously belligerent in dressing-down of foreign leftist states, a cohesive military pact; the Conservatives jumped at the foreign policy bona fides the alliance could provide. Ian Settas, ever the naturally-gifted politician like his father, followed suit. Sources indicated that Settas was already eying the presidency in 2016, just months after his promotion to leader of the Imperial Senate. Strategists close to the aspiring presidential contender leaked that he was eying shoring up the right-leaning German vote in north Belhavia by signalling closer relations with Germany through the A.C.A. It would allow Settas to proudly continue his father's foreign policy, the aggressively-anticommunist Settas Doctrine, and claim it as his own. The pro-A.C.A. move would also endear him to the private defense industry, a crucial Conservative special-interests bastion and a group of influential behind-the-scenes players in the form of the Pyrion Group, Weston Arms, and other contractors. Settas in line, the Conservatives wholeheartedly embraced the A.C.A.

Which might be their downfall. Within the last two weeks of the dissolution of the global anticommunist military league, numerous polls out show the Conservatives in trouble. With the November 2014 midterm elections only fifteen months away, the Conservatives have taken a public relations beating. With the public sphere afire with a national anxiousness of 'what now?' following the fall of the A.C.A., the Conservative Party has seen its positive image shrink in light of the foreign policy disaster. A Callas College Survey Ltd poll on July 1st showed the Conservative image among the general electorate to be 43%, a new low from a month ago where the party had 61% approval and favorability numbers. The Liberal Democrats, in the meantime, had their party's subpar favorability spike to 34%, up nine points from a low of 25% last month. Individual candidates are suffering, as well. A new Provisa Times/IBNN public poll had undeclared Conservative frontrunner Jacen Gray down 7 points in the last week against Lib Dem contender Jack Haller in the marquee Freeport Senate election. This after the pair of unannounced rival candidates had been neck-and-neck in the polls. In deeply-conservative Raffen province at the German border, incumbent Senator James Gulden, an A.C.A. stalwart and hardline advocate, has seen his opponent steadily gain ground in the wake of the A.C.A. collapse. Moderate Lib Dem provincial senator Karen Merkal, behind Gulden by a whooping 33 points just last month, has significantly improved her numbers by tying Gulden to the increasingly-unpopular A.C.A. legacy, and is now only down 12 points in a survey out yesterday.

A President Settas as the Conservative Standard Bearer?

His ambition well-known among the Provisa establishment, how the party fairs in the possibly-turbulent 2014 midterms will either aid or hinder Ian Settas' quest for the presidency. Although President Eli Goldman is popular and has enacted a strong conservative agenda, the lingering doubt from the A.C.A.'s fall may end up allowing the first Lib Dem to be elected since Garret Holleran in 1992. Already, Lib Dem Senate Minority Leader John Fellan, a prominent member of the party's far left, has taken the to the microphone to steer the public discourse against the Conservatives and center-right institutions and promote strains of leftist thought. Though Belhavian society is firmly conservative - the oft-repeated line from Conservatives since 1980 has been "the Empire is a right-leaning nation" - a more moderate Lib Dem "rightist" in the mold of Holleran could imperil the Conservatives' 16-year monopoly over the Presidential Palace.

Enter Ian Settas, stage right. Handsome, politically-savvy, charismatic, and cunning, Settas has established himself as a brilliant and extremely knowledgeable campaign tactician. Competent, credentialed with a J.D. from Imperial Provisa University Law, and endowed with his father's political savvy, Settas is well-positioned to assume the presidency. If he can guide the Conservatives through a tough midterm election and when - not if - he announces his presidential candidacy, the Conservative Party can count on another eight years in the Presidential Palace. If he doesn't, the era of the permanent conservative majority may come to a close.

James Wellon is a senior political correspondent for THE GLOBAL TELEGRAPH. None of these organizations are associated with the Kalian Media Group, and all opinions and personal views in the article do not reflect the viewpoints of the KMG or their employees.

MORE IN FEATURED
  • Pundits Excited For Next Week's Settas Foreign Policy Speech on Empire's Post-A.C.A. Future
  • A.C.A. Collapse: the Provisa Establishment's Freakout
  • John Fellan and the Rise of the Lib Dem Left
  • Jacobson's Corner: the Grat Pact Ascendent
    Image Comments [ 12098 ] | Image E-mail this article
    © Kalian Media Group 2013
The Empire of Belhavia

New Belhavia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby New Belhavia » Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:46 pm

THE PROVISA TIMES

Since A.C.A. Collapse, Polls Show Conservatives In Trouble For '14 Midterms

Pictured: Likely LD Senate candidate Jack Haller, speaking to reporters during his "listening tour" of Freeport, N.B.

Numerous Surveys Out Show Conservative Party Brand, Candidates Suffering In Eyes Of Voters
July 4th, 2013 | By Joseph T. Kollen (jtkollen@aij.org) (AIJ)

PROVISA, New Belhavia — In the two weeks since the formal dissolution of the Anti-Communism Alliance (A.C.A.), the center-right defensive military pact, voters are dealing the ruling Conservatives with a backlash from the very public Conservative embrace of the A.C.A. and the Imperial government's close ties to the now-defunct global organization. In a series of public and private polls released over the last two weeks, both the Conservative Party brand as well as individual candidates and officeholders are seeing reduced support across the electorate. A new Callas College Survey Ltd tracking poll announced on July 1st showed the Conservative image among the general voting populace to be at 43%, a record 2-year low. The last Callas tracking poll on June 1st had the party with a 61% approval and favorability numbers. In contrast, the opposition Liberal Democrats have seen their party's weak favorability numbers increase by 9%, up nine points from a low of 25% last month to 34% this month. One former Conservative National Chairman opined that "the nearly 20-point drop in approval in our [the Conservative] party brand in just two weeks is catastrophic...I mean, we have to stop the bleeding before the ceiling drops in on us." An influential Conservative Imperial Senator, who asked to speak confidentially, concurred and remarked that "[Our] party needs a tourniquet. This hemorrhaging could be fatal."

A monthly public survey by the Hunter Opinion Research Center in early June tagged the Conservatives at 68% for competence in running the government, 71% for handling foreign affairs, and 59% for "doing what's right for the Empire." In that poll, the Lib Dems fared extremely weak: 23% on government competence, 18% on foreign policy, and 27% for "doing what's right." On July 2nd, they released new numbers, with the Conservatives taking a massive hit in all three polled categories, and the Lib Dems benefiting by seeing modest increases. The Conservatives reached 45% on competence, with the Lib Dems rising to 32%, 51% on foreign policy to the LD's 26%, and 41% on "doing what's right" to the Lib Dems' 32%. The Conservatives lost key support among rural lower-income residents, urban voters, colonials, those with post-graduate degrees, and women. Senator Robert Jzenski (C-Vernia), one of the quartet of "libertarian" Conservatives in the Senate chamber, crowed that "[t]his is all the proof our party needs to embrace our [four-member] group's recommendation of a foreign policy of restraint and non-intervention abroad. This A.C.A. business has discredited the warmongering neoconservative hawks. Our leadership should take note."

Conservative Candidates See Dip In Polls Across the Empire

Across both competitive and solidly-partisan provinces, Conservative incumbents, challengers, and undeclared candidates all have see at least a small dip to a large reduction in voter support in the upcoming November 2014 midterm elections, about 15 months away.

One marquee race heavily watched by both sides of the political aisle is the open Senate seat in Freeport province. Deputy Foreign Minister for Allied Affairs Jacen Gray is the undeclared Conservative frontunner, while former governor Jack Haller is the unannounced Lib Dem favorite. Both have quietly been laying the groundwork for a intense - and close - campaign, and have stepped up their public appearances in pre-candidacy attempts to sway voter sentiment in their favor. Numerous public polls since late March have had both respective party frontrunners running neck-and-neck in voter surveys, usually within four points of each other. A new Provisa Times/IBNN public poll had Gray down 7 points against Haller last week, 48% - 41%. A Global Telegraph/CRMG survey released July 3rd had Haller ahead six points, 49% - 43%, while a Liberal Democratic National Committee internal poll has Haller pegged at 47% to Gray's 38%. Haller spokesman Jake Glenhall emailed us victoriously, proclaiming, "If Jack Haller decides to run for the people's Senate seat, he's heartened to see that the good folks of Freeport province have rejected the humiliating crypto-fascist A.C.A. foreign policy debacle and the failed Robin Hood-in-reverse economic policies of the Goldman-Settas-Gray Conservatives." Mr. Gray's office retorted in a press release that "[P]olls go up and down, but Jacen Gray is ready, competent, and pre-eminently experienced to become Freeport's next Senator if the voters want him to run."

Meanwhile, hugging the border with Prussia-Steinbach, the deeply-conservative Raffen province has proven a surprise to political prognosticators as incumbent Senator James Gulden, an A.C.A. stalwart and hardline advocate, has seen his opponent steadily gain ground in the wake of the A.C.A. collapse. Moderate "rightist" Lib Dem provincial senator Karen Merkal has significantly improved her numbers by tying Gulden to the increasingly-unpopular A.C.A. legacy. Merkal was behind Gulden by a whooping 33 points just last month, with an Adrian College Poll showing Gulden with 54% to Merkal's 21% on June 1st. Raffen province is sparsely-populated, with its capital of Raffenburg having only 40,000 residents. The province is heavily devoted to wheat and barley farming, and is typically a Conservative stronghold with strong provincial demographics: few urban voters, a significant right-leaning ethnic German population, and a Conservative-friendly farmer and social conservative base. However, in the days since the A.C.A. disbandment, Merkal was gone into overdrive, hammering a message of conservative values and independence from party voting and hitting Gulden over his commonly-bombastic and fiery pro-A.C.A. rhetoric. An internal poll released by her campaign has her only 12 points down - Gulden's 45% to her 33% - while a nonpartisan public survey by Hansen House Research on July 4th pegged Gulden at 50% to Merkal at 36%. Senior provincial Conservative leaders are progressively nervous as Merkal drives up Gulden's negatives while increasing her own positives among the voting populace. The same Hansen poll tagged Merkal with a net 15-point favorability (51% favorable/36% unfavorable) while Gulden went from a net 34-point favorable rating three months ago to eking out a narrow 2-point positive rating (49%/47%).

Though the Conservatives are facing a public backlash for their prominent advocacy of the Empire's A.C.A. foreign policy, "[T]he midterm is still fifteen months away," non-partisan political statistician Nathan Filnan opined, "Which is several political lifetimes. Don't count the Conservatives out just yet. The Lib Dems need to improve their broader policy positions to inspire voter confidence in them - just capitalizing on the Conservatives' foreign policy debacle won't cut it." A senior Liberal Democratic statesman, speaking with anonymity, agreed. "Our party needs Holleran-style moderation to win back the public's trust. Left-wingers like John Fellan scare the heck out of most Belhavians."

John Tguren, a political science professor at Merrina Provincial University, disagreed. "We've seen at crucial times in history that a foul-up on one key issue could be all that's needed for the opposition party to seize the political headwinds and make an electoral recovery. The Lib Dems are well-positioned to be that redemption story for Imperial politics."

Joseph T. Kollen reported from Provisa, N.B. Andrew Kominsky reported from Freeport, N.B. None of these organizations are associated with the AIJ, and all opinions and personal views in the article do not reflect the viewpoints of the AIJ or their employees.

MORE IN POLITICS
  • Sources: Settas Foreign Policy Speech on Post-A.C.A. Future To "Strike Middle Ground" [ 1980 ]
  • Conservatives In Panic Mode As Polls Show Public Backlash To A.C.A. Foreign Policy [ 112 ]
  • "Grat Pact Ascendent," The Global Telegraph's Richard Jacobson Asserts [ 894 ]
  • Leaker: Belhavians Using "Backchannels" Through Oured To Approach Akimionadis [ 990 ]
    Image Comments [ 344 ] | Image E-mail this article
The Empire of Belhavia

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents