NATION

PASSWORD

PASSED: Passport Harmonisation Act

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Which of these are you currently doing?

Naming you're firstborn son Edsel
5%
Spit Shining Your Reeboks
5%
Abusing the patio furniture
5%
Giving your gerbil a Rorschach test
18%
Cheering up a potato
10%
Buying a 1931 Almanac
3%
Listening for disguised non-satanic messages (e.g. "Be Nice to Your Mother") in Marilyn Manson songs
9%
Re-establishing the Roman Empire...in Pittsburgh
23%
Freeing the oppressed toasters of America
21%

Total votes : 91

New Rockport
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 09, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby New Rockport » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:01 am

Qumkent wrote:
New Rockport wrote:I ran this proposal by my country's privacy commissioner and he had the same concern that my esteemed colleague from Tjennewell did. I do not think my government will allow me to support this proposal unless the required passport specifications are established in the proposal itself, rather than left to WA bureaucrats to establish. The risk to our citizens' privacy is just too great.

In spite of the recently passed WA right to privacy your Excellency ?

Yes, your Highness*. There is no guarantee that the right to privacy will not be repealed. Additionally, the right to privacy might only bind WA member states, and not WA agencies.

-Silvana Rossi, Ambassador

* OOC: I was unable to find the proper form of address for a Khan. If this is incorrect let me know and I'll change it.
Last edited by New Rockport on Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Federal Republic of New Rockport

Qumkent
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jun 03, 2009
Ex-Nation

Passport Harmonisation Act

Postby Qumkent » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:18 am

New Rockport wrote:
Qumkent wrote:
New Rockport wrote:I ran this proposal by my country's privacy commissioner and he had the same concern that my esteemed colleague from Tjennewell did. I do not think my government will allow me to support this proposal unless the required passport specifications are established in the proposal itself, rather than left to WA bureaucrats to establish. The risk to our citizens' privacy is just too great.

Yes, your Highness*. There is no guarantee that the right to privacy will not be repealed. Additionally, the right to privacy might only bind WA member states, and not WA agencies.

* OOC: I was unable to find the proper form of address for a Khan. If this is incorrect let me know and I'll change it.

OOC. If you really want to be fawning and formal, you'd call him "Noble Khan", but since Mongkha is a civil servant it is perfectly good manners jus to call him "Your Excellency" in line with his rank of Ambassador ;)

Cobdenia
Envoy

Founded: Mar 14, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Cobdenia » Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:51 pm

New Rockport wrote:
Qumkent wrote:

To do this is impossible when one considers that there are a) many, many nations that are populated by non-human sentients b) nations exist in different technological eras and c) a word count.
Sir Cyril MacLehose-Strangways-Jones, GCRC, LOG
Permanent Representative of the Raj of Cobdenia to the World Assembly
Proud member of the Green Ink Brigade

Cobdenia
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Cobdenia » Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:10 pm

NOTING the potential security risks arising from being unable to accurately assess those entering and leaving a nation,

FURTHER NOTING that such a potential security risk may be exacerbated by the inability of relevant officials to guarantee the authenticity of a foreign passport,

BELIEVING that foreign nationals, excluding diplomatic and consular officers, should abide by the laws of the nation in which they are present, but nevertheless mindful of the variation in law and legal systems between nations,

1. DEFINES:
a) a "Passport" as a travel document issued by the nation of which the person is a citizen, national, or subject, identifying the bearer as being a citizen, etc., of that country;
b) a "Visa" as a document issued by a recieving nations allowing a foreign citizen entry into that nation, subject to terms and conditions (made clear to those wishing to aquire a visa).

2. MANDATES that all citizens carry a Passport issued by a relevant nation in which they hold citizenship or other nationality status, when travelling abroad, except where deemed unnecessary through the existence of bilateral and multilateral border control agreement, or when unilaterally declared unnecessary by the receiving nation,

3. PERMITS issuing nations to allow children under the age of majority, or a specific age that is lower than that of the age of majority, in the issuing country to travel on the passport of one or both of their parents, as necessary under national law,

4. FOUNDS the Standardised World Assembly Safe-conduct for Travel and International Control Association (SWASTICA),

5. CHARGES the SWASTICA to establish minimum requirements of details to be included into passports, including but not limited to passport numbers, facial representations of the owner, name, date of birth, validity, and anti-forgery features. SWASTICA will not hold any personell information

6. MANDATES that member states abide by the requirements laid down by the SWASTICA,

7. AFFIRMS that the passport entitles the holder to any of the consular services available from their nation's Embassies, Consulates, Consulates-General, High Commissions, Deputy High Commissions, Legations and other diplomatic missions as they may require,

8. ENSHRINES the right of consuls to visit nationals carrying an appropriate passport of the nation they represent when detained for legal reasons:
a) allows consuls to give the detainee legal advice, lists of approved barristers and/or solicitors, and guidance on the legal process of the nation in which they are detainedl;
b) in cases where there is no diplomatic or consular presence of the detainee's nation a consul of another nation may be substituted for a consul of the detainee's nation, where bilateral or multilateral agreements are in place for such a substitution;
c) diplomatic and consular officers are prohibited from interfering with the legal actions taken against a nation of the country they represent.

9. AFFIRMS that any national of a member state, carrying a valid passport and visa cannot be denied entry to a nation, except where either the security of that nation is at stake, for reasons of medical quarantine, where their is reason to believe the terms of the visa are likely to be violated or if there is reason to believe the visa was obtained fraudulently

10. URGES all nations to recognise the passports of nationals of member states,

11. MANDATES the publication of all Passport appearances (including information about recognising counterfeits), to be made available to all relevant officials, including but not limited to: immigration officials, customs and excise officers, security personnel, and constables of the law.

New revision, though need to check wordcount prior to submission.

Charlotte Ryberg
The Muse of the Westcountry

Founded: Mar 14, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:14 pm

Honoured ambassador Sir Cyril MacLehose-Strangways-Jones, regrettably it is over the character limit. You may like to shorten the committee name if you wish. That would save some character space.

Cobdenia
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Cobdenia » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:39 am

This has been submitted. One or two changes to wording to bring down number of letters, but no change to the content. Obviously, SWASTICA has been changed to something more boring

http://www.nationstates.net/page=UN_proposal1/match=passport

Cobdenia
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Cobdenia » Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:20 pm

Bump for resubmission, the link the above post should work. Tell you're freinds, family, and coworkers!

Prizes on offer for all those delegates that approve!

Yes, real prizes!

Cobdenia
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Cobdenia » Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:25 pm

Yet another resubmission; here's the current wording:

NOTING the potential security risks arising from being unable to accurately assess those entering and leaving a nation,

FURTHER NOTING that such a potential security risk may be exacerbated by the inability of relevant officials to guarantee the authenticity of a foreign passport,

BELIEVING that foreign nationals, excluding diplomatic and consular officers, should abide by the laws of the nation in which they are present, though mindful of the variation in law and legal systems between nations,

DEFINES a "Passport" as a travel document issued by the nation of which the person is a citizen, national, or subject, identifying the bearer as being a citizen, etc., of that country, and a "Visa" as a document issued by a receiving nations allowing a foreign citizen entry into that nation, subject to terms and conditions (made clear to those wishing to acquire a visa).

MANDATES that all citizens carry a Passport issued by a relevant nation in which they hold citizenship or other nationality status, when travelling abroad, except where deemed unnecessary through the existence of bilateral and multilateral border control agreement, or when unilaterally declared unnecessary by the receiving nation,

PERMITS issuing nations to allow children under the age of majority, or a specific age that is lower than that of the age of majority, in the issuing country to travel on the passport of one or both of their parents, as necessary under national law,

FOUNDS the Something or Other, which is charged with establishing mandatory minimum requirements of details to be included into passports, including but not limited to passport numbers, facial representations of the owner, name, date of birth, validity, and anti-forgery features. It will not collect any personal information,

AFFIRMS that the passport entitles the holder to any of the consular services available from their nation's Embassies, Consulates, Consulates-General, High Commissions, Deputy High Commissions, & Legations as they may require,

ENSHRINES the right of consuls to visit nationals carrying an appropriate passport of the nation they represent when detained for legal reasons:
a) allows consuls to give the detainee legal advice, lists of approved counsels and/or barristers, and guidance on the legal process of the nation in which they are detained;
b) in cases where there is no diplomatic or consular presence of the detainee's nation a consul of another nation may be substituted for a consul of the detainee's nation, where bilateral or multilateral agreements are in place for such.

AFFIRMS that any national of a member state, carrying a valid passport and visa cannot be denied entry to a nation, except where either the security of that nation is at stake, for reasons of medical quarantine, where there is reason to believe the terms of the visa are likely to be violated or if there is reason to believe the visa was obtained fraudulently,

URGES all nations to recognise the passports of nationals of member states,

MANDATES the publication of all passport appearances (including information about recognising counterfeits), to be made available to all relevant officials, including but not limited to: immigration officials, customs and excise officers, security personnel, and constables of the law.

Proposal link is once again:
http://www.nationstates.net/page=UN_proposal1/match=passport

Cobdenia
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Cobdenia » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:52 am

Quroum Dance!

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Grays Harbor » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:58 am

OOC - whats with the pointless and completely unrelated poll?
Everything you know about me is wrong. Or a rumor. Something like that.

Not Ta'veren

Omigodtheykilledkenny
Negotiator

Left-Leaning College State

Postby Omigodtheykilledkenny » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:12 am

Omigodtheykilledkenny FAQ | "The Biggest Sovereigntist IN THE WORLD" - Chester Pearson

The Palentine
Diplomat

Founded: May 18, 2005

Postby The Palentine » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:00 am

OOC: I'll have you know that my efforts to rebuild the Roman Empire in Pittsburgh is moving along quite swimmingly. :p
"There aren't quite as many irredeemable folks as everyone thinks."
-The Dourian Embassy

"Yeah, but some (like Sen. Sulla) have to count for, like 20 or 30 all by themselves."
-Hack

Enn
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 26, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Enn » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:24 pm

Good to see the UN/WA Creative Acronym Service is still alive and well.
I know what gay science is.
Reploid Productions wrote:The World Assembly as a whole terrifies me!
Pythagosaurus wrote:You are seriously deluded about the technical competence of the average human.

Sidh Ohn
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 05, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Sidh Ohn » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:23 pm

Cobdenia wrote:5. CHARGES the SWASTICA to establish minimum requirements of details to be included into passports, including but not limited to passport numbers, facial representations of the owner, name, date of birth, validity, and anti-forgery features

My only issue is with this part. Specifically the words "but not limited to" as it essentially gives SWASTICA unlimited power over the passport and thus emigration systems of sovereign nations. Remove "but not limited to" from the wording and you'll have my support.

Cobdenia
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Cobdenia » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:32 am

I fail to see how giving the committee power over passport appearance and detail inclusion would affect immigration in any way, shape, or form.

Sidh Ohn
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 05, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Sidh Ohn » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:39 pm

It doesn't really, but the current wording already includes those basics, however to add "but not limited to" potentially gives it far more reaching and really unnecessary authority over the passport system than these basics, and thus very well could effect the emmigration (not immigration) policies of the nations that would then be forced to abide by it's rules.

Cobdenia
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Cobdenia » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:29 am

The problem of attempting to ensure that everything that should be covered is cover (the few I listed would not, I feel, be adequate), plus there is the tech/alien issue. This way, the organisation can theoretically say "passports may be made of rock, paper, or be ethereal concepts, a data disk, etc", as well as alter it for non-humans - i.e., if the species doesn't have faces. It allows for every permutation to be covered without worrying to much about what those permutations are. Plus, there are word count issues.

The Palentine
Diplomat

Founded: May 18, 2005

Postby The Palentine » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:58 am

Not bad, old boy. Normally I'd be against the Festering Snakepit forming another damned commitee and bureaucracy, but refeshingly, this one seems useful. You can count on my nation's support, old bean.

Excelsior,
Sen. Horatio Sulla
"There aren't quite as many irredeemable folks as everyone thinks."
-The Dourian Embassy

"Yeah, but some (like Sen. Sulla) have to count for, like 20 or 30 all by themselves."
-Hack

Sionis Prioratus
Senator

Founded: Feb 07, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Sionis Prioratus » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:06 am

Cobdenia wrote:OoC: It's more a case that one addresses the nations, rather then the organisation. With the UN, the United Nations term was actually addressing the nations, but was grammatically correct. With the WA, World Assembly grammatically can only refer to the body, not to the actually countries as the World Assembly - hence world assembled

OOC: ^ This.

Btw, The World Assembly, alongside its constituent Peoples of the World Assembled, or variations of the theme, have passed a relevant portion of laws already :)

IC: In what regards SWASTICA. what would its symbol be? Would a BIG stamp of it appear on the cover of every single passport of the Worlds?

I suggest instead OMGWTF (Organization for Managing and Granting Worldwide Travel Freedom).

Yours truly,
Cathérine Victoire de Saint-Clair
Haute Ambassadrice for the WA for
✡ The Jewish Kingdom of Sionis Prioratus
Daughter of The Late King Adrian the First
In the Name of
Sa Majesté Impériale Dagobert VI de Saint-Clair
A simple truth

Sionis Prioratus
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Sionis Prioratus » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:13 am

And the poll makes me feel disenfranchised. Weren't my firstborn son approaching his hundreth anniversary, I'd be naming him Willy Wonka.
In the Name of
A simple truth

Freeoplis
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 18, 2009
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Freeoplis » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:03 pm

Upon reading the proposal this Nation notes the following points which we recognize have already been raised but we also see as issues:

Cobdenia wrote:4. FOUNDS the Standardised World Assembly Safe-conduct for Travel and International Control Association (SWASTICA),

This Nation is uncomfortable with such an abbreviation used for an organisation.

Cobdenia wrote:5. CHARGES the SWASTICA to establish minimum requirements of details to be included into passports, including but not limited to passport numbers, facial representations of the owner, name, date of birth, validity, and anti-forgery features,

On the basis such requirements could be prescribed as including race, religeon, sexual orientation we would oppose such loose terminology. We feel this should be restricted to only those requirements "deemed to be in the interests of facilitating the purpose of this legislation" This would exclude such unneccesary requirements and information about citizens being included.

Cobdenia wrote:9. AFFIRMS that any national of a member state, carrying a valid passport and visa cannot be denied entry to a nation, except where either the security of that nation is at stake, for reasons of medical quarantine, where their is reason to believe the terms of the visa are likely to be violated or if there is reason to believe the visa was obtained fraudulently

We would like a particular Nation to maintain discretion at all times as to who is granted admission into their Nation.
The Republic of Freeoplis
Region of Absolution

New Rockport
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 09, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby New Rockport » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:32 pm

Freeoplis wrote:Upon reading the proposal this Nation notes the following points which we recognize have already been raised but we also see as issues:

Cobdenia wrote:4. FOUNDS the Standardised World Assembly Safe-conduct for Travel and International Control Association (SWASTICA),

This Nation is uncomfortable with such an abbreviation used for an organisation.

Don't worry. It's been changed.

Freeoplis wrote:
Cobdenia wrote:5. CHARGES the SWASTICA to establish minimum requirements of details to be included into passports, including but not limited to passport numbers, facial representations of the owner, name, date of birth, validity, and anti-forgery features,

On the basis such requirements could be prescribed as including race, religeon, sexual orientation we would oppose such loose terminology. We feel this should be restricted to only those requirements "deemed to be in the interests of facilitating the purpose of this legislation" This would exclude such unneccesary requirements and information about citizens being included.

My nation's government agrees. Suppose this agency mandates that passports include fingerprints or genetic information. A person should not have to have such sensitive personal information put into a government database in order to be able to travel internationally.
The Federal Republic of New Rockport

Freeoplis
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 18, 2009
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Freeoplis » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:47 pm

New Rockport wrote:My nation's government agrees. Suppose this agency mandates that passports include fingerprints or genetic information. A person should not have to have such sensitive personal information put into a government database in order to be able to travel internationally.

With such an unrestricted freedom being created this Nation cannot support this proposal.
The Republic of Freeoplis
Region of Absolution

Sionis Prioratus
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Sionis Prioratus » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:25 pm

New Rockport wrote:
Freeoplis wrote:Upon reading the proposal this Nation notes the following points which we recognize have already been raised but we also see as issues:

Don't worry. It's been changed.

Fixed indeed!

FOUNDS the Global Emigration, Security, Travel And Passport Organisation.
a) This organisation will establish minimum requirements of details to be included into passports, including but not limited to passport numbers, facial representations of the owner, name, date of birth, validity, and anti-forgery features;
b) Members states are required to abide by these requirements.

I, for one, await eagerly our new GESTAPO overlords at every border! :)
In the Name of
A simple truth

Cobdenia
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Cobdenia » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:28 pm

Freeoplis wrote:
New Rockport wrote:My nation's government agrees. Suppose this agency mandates that passports include fingerprints or genetic information. A person should not have to have such sensitive personal information put into a government database in order to be able to travel internationally.

With such an unrestricted freedom being created this Nation cannot support this proposal.

The proposal does not allow the organisation to gather any personel information. Indeed, there is no requirement that the information that goes on passports be held on a government database - so even if they were to require fingerprints (which they won't. Not all species have fingers) on passports, they only have to be on passports - not collated by the government. Plus, the right to privacy already covers many concerns

If one doesn't want someone entering their nation, don't issue visas. Simple
Last edited by Cobdenia on Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives