NATION

PASSWORD

Maryland close to eliminating death penalty

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Condunum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 26, 2011
Ex-Nation

Maryland close to eliminating death penalty

Postby Condunum » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:28 pm

No, really.

Maryland’s Senate voted Wednesday to repeal the death penalty, moving the state one step closer to joining 17 others that ban capital punishment.
The Senate voted 27-20 to pass legislation that would replace execution with a sentence of life without the possibility of parole. The bill must be approved by the House of Delegates before becoming law.

Gov. Martin O'Malley said he was pleased with the vote.

"We remain hopeful that we will see a similar outcome in the House," he said in a statement. "It's time to end this ineffective and expensive practice and put our efforts behind crime fighting strategies that work."

Maryland has five inmates on death row, although no executions have been conducted since 2005. The state has carried out five executions since the death penalty was reinstated in 1978, according to the Death Penalty Information Center.

“The vote in the Maryland Senate to end the death penalty is in line with an emerging trend away from capital punishment around the country,” Richard Dieter, the center’s executive director, said in a statement. “Death sentences and executions have sharply declined, and now states are taking the final step toward eliminating the death penalty.”

So my state is replacing the death penalty with life-sentencing. Personally, I think this is another great step towards fixing the broken prison system. What are your thoughts, NSG? Progress, or stupid move?
password scrambled

Saruhan
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Saruhan » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:31 pm

Good on you Maryland, took you bloody long enough though
Caninope wrote:The idea of Pakistan, India and Bangladesh reuniting is about as logical as the idea that Barack Obama will kill his wife, marry Ahmadinejad in a ceremony officiated by Mitt Romney during the 7th Inning Stretch of the Yankees-Red Sox game, and then the happy couple will then go challenge President Xi for the position of General Secretary of the CCP in a gladiatorial fight to the death involving roaches, slingshots, and hard candies.

Disserbia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 10, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Disserbia » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:31 pm

Hurray for Maryland!
You can't spell scat fetish without catfish.
Mollary wrote:Hate and alcohol can unite most people.

Souriya Al-Assad wrote:One does not simply Mossad The Assad.

New Maldorainia wrote:Dissy likes touching my walruses.

The Blaatschapen wrote:Remember, birthdays are good for you. The more you have, the longer you'll live.
Funniest shit on this shite
fakbuk and other random shit
PC:
Economic Left/Right: 3.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.00
PS:
Right: 1.45
Libertarian: 6.22
Non-interventionist: 5.82
Cultural liberal: 2.23
PT:
democratic National Liberal
In a more sane world I'd be a moderate Republican.

Faolinn
Minister

Founded: Aug 04, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Faolinn » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:32 pm

Please let it be so.I pray they will choose the path of wisdom.
"And the Gods said down with tyrants and it was good."-Me
One of the religious left.
Research supports cynicism
My ideology.

I support: Deism, Evolution, Pro Choice, Feminism, Environmentalism, Communal Anarchism, Cosmopolitanism, Transcendentalism, Occultism, Anarcho Syndicalism, Mutualism, Legalizing Illegal substances, Sexual Freedom, LGBT Rights, Freedom of Speech

I oppose: Fascism, Objectivism, Determinism, Nihlism, Evangelism, Anarcho Capitalism, Atheism (militant), Conservatism, Monarchy, Totalitarianism,Might = Right, Timocracy, Plutocracy, Oligarchy, Materialism, Creationism, Transhumanism, Legalism, Nationalism, Imperialsm, Racism

I disagree with but have some respect for: Secular Humanism, Agnosticism

Evil Siamese Cats
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 09, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Evil Siamese Cats » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:35 pm

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. The journey is to have a functioning prison system. The single step is to abolish the death penalty. OK, this "single step" is more of a day's hike, but still...I guess what I'm saying is that this is a very good thing for MD and other states need to follow suit, but there's still a long way to go.

Sadly, I come from a state that is in love with the death penalty. (Not TX. Ohio. It's like TX but has snow on the ground.)

Condunum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Condunum » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:36 pm

Saruhan wrote:Good on you Maryland, took you bloody long enough though

Indeed it has. I hold Maryland to be a very progressive state, but we do have some rather bass ackwards things.
password scrambled

The Serbian Empire
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Serbian Empire » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:46 pm

Saruhan wrote:Good on you Maryland, took you bloody long enough though

And Michigan never had the death penalty in the first place so this is long overdue for Maryland to eliminate the death penalty when Michigan has been around for nearly 180 years without it.
LOVEWHOYOUARE~ WOMAN
Level 12 Myrmidon, Level ⑨ Tsundere, Level ✿ Hold My Flower
Bad Idea Purveyor
8 Values: https://8values.github.io/results.html?e=56.1&d=70.2&g=86.5&s=91.9
Political Compass: Economic -10.00 Authoritarian: -9.13
TG for Facebook if you want to friend me
Marissa, Goddess of Stratospheric Reach
preferred pronouns: Female ones
Primarily lesbian, but pansexual in nature

Rereumrari
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 25, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Rereumrari » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:48 pm

Have fun paying for the rent, medical needs, and food of convicted murderers. Don't worry, i'm sure he will learn his lesson if he ever escapes.
The political compass is a lie.

The Serbian Empire
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Serbian Empire » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:50 pm

Rereumrari wrote:Have fun paying for the rent, medical needs, and food of convicted murderers. Don't worry, i'm sure he will learn his lesson if he ever escapes.

It's still cheaper than the legal appeals to put someone to death. Yes, those appeals are all paid by the tax payer.
LOVEWHOYOUARE~ WOMAN
Level 12 Myrmidon, Level ⑨ Tsundere, Level ✿ Hold My Flower
Bad Idea Purveyor
8 Values: https://8values.github.io/results.html?e=56.1&d=70.2&g=86.5&s=91.9
Political Compass: Economic -10.00 Authoritarian: -9.13
TG for Facebook if you want to friend me
Marissa, Goddess of Stratospheric Reach
preferred pronouns: Female ones
Primarily lesbian, but pansexual in nature

Saruhan
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Saruhan » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:50 pm

Rereumrari wrote:Have fun paying for the rent, medical needs, and food of convicted murderers. Don't worry, i'm sure he will learn his lesson if he ever escapes.

It actually costs less than executing them, but whatever, don't let facts get in your way
Caninope wrote:The idea of Pakistan, India and Bangladesh reuniting is about as logical as the idea that Barack Obama will kill his wife, marry Ahmadinejad in a ceremony officiated by Mitt Romney during the 7th Inning Stretch of the Yankees-Red Sox game, and then the happy couple will then go challenge President Xi for the position of General Secretary of the CCP in a gladiatorial fight to the death involving roaches, slingshots, and hard candies.

Rereumrari
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Rereumrari » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:53 pm

Saruhan wrote:

It actually costs less than executing them, but whatever, don't let facts get in your way
1 death needle<50 years rent, food, medical care. Unless we are injecting the guy with gold and diamonds, there is no way.

Condunum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Condunum » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:57 pm

Rereumrari wrote:
Saruhan wrote:It actually costs less than executing them, but whatever, don't let facts get in your way
1 death needle<50 years rent, food, medical care. Unless we are injecting the guy with gold and diamonds, there is no way.

nevermind the cost of the appeals process for death row inmates. But that would ruin your stupid little fantasy about death row somehow being beneficial.
password scrambled

The Steel Magnolia
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Steel Magnolia » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:58 pm

C'est magnifique!

Condunum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Condunum » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:58 pm

Saruhan wrote:

The only way it could really cost less is by removing the appeals process, which is both a gross destruction of rights and a shout that essentially would say, "Hey! We think that anyone we put on death row could never have been wrongly convicted!"
password scrambled

Frisivisia
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Frisivisia » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:59 pm

Another step to a less shitty society.
Impeach The Queen, Legalize Anarchy, Stealing Things Is Not Theft. Sex Pistols 2017.
I'm the evil gubmint PC inspector, here to take your Guns, outlaw your God, and steal your freedom and give it to black people.
I'm Joe Biden. So far as you know.

For: Anarchy, Punk Rock Fury
Against: Thatcher, Fascists, That Fascist Thatcher, Reagan, Nazi Punks, Everyone
"Am I buggin' ya? I don't mean to bug ya." - Bono
Let's cram some more shit in my sig. Cool people cram shit in their sigs. In TECHNICOLOR!

Rereumrari
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Rereumrari » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:59 pm

Condunum wrote:
Rereumrari wrote:1 death needle<50 years rent, food, medical care. Unless we are injecting the guy with gold and diamonds, there is no way.

nevermind the cost of the appeals process for death row inmates. But that would ruin your stupid little fantasy about death row somehow being beneficial.
That has nothing to do with the cost of him actually being in prison for decades on in. He will still seek appeals if he has a life sentence, so that cost is a constant no matter what sentence he is given.

The Steel Magnolia
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Steel Magnolia » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:01 pm

Someone should really link the dozens of sources and preempt the "it's cheaper!" argument.

Condunum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Condunum » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:01 pm

Rereumrari wrote:
Condunum wrote:nevermind the cost of the appeals process for death row inmates. But that would ruin your stupid little fantasy about death row somehow being beneficial.
That has nothing to do with the cost of him actually being in prison for decades on in. He will still seek appeals if he has a life sentence, so that cost is a constant no matter what sentence he is given.

No it's not. The appeals process for death row inmates are more expensive, on account of the fact that we're planning on killing the person. So we give them far more appeal opportunity.

But if your only concern is the cost, something is wrong here.
Last edited by Condunum on Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
password scrambled

Condunum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Condunum » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:04 pm

The Steel Magnolia wrote:Someone should really link the dozens of sources and preempt the "it's cheaper!" argument.

http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/costs-death-penalty
Some nice information about total cost there.

http://deathpenalty.procon.org/view.ans ... nID=001000
This is what you're looking for, though.
password scrambled

Rereumrari
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Rereumrari » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:06 pm

Condunum wrote:
Rereumrari wrote:That has nothing to do with the cost of him actually being in prison for decades on in. He will still seek appeals if he has a life sentence, so that cost is a constant no matter what sentence he is given.

No it's not. The appeals process for death row inmates are more expensive, on account of the fact that we're planning on killing the person. So we give them far more appeal opportunity.
Appeals over a lifetime in prison will still add up to be the same as someone who spends a year appealing on death row. It's a constant and will cost the same over time no matter what. You only add more to the cost when you start paying for his rent for decades.

Frisivisia
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Frisivisia » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:06 pm

Rereumrari wrote:
Condunum wrote:No it's not. The appeals process for death row inmates are more expensive, on account of the fact that we're planning on killing the person. So we give them far more appeal opportunity.
Appeals over a lifetime in prison will still add up to be the same as someone who spends a year appealing on death row. It's a constant and will cost the same over time no matter what. You only add more to the cost when you start paying for his rent for decades.

Source?
Impeach The Queen, Legalize Anarchy, Stealing Things Is Not Theft. Sex Pistols 2017.
I'm the evil gubmint PC inspector, here to take your Guns, outlaw your God, and steal your freedom and give it to black people.
I'm Joe Biden. So far as you know.

For: Anarchy, Punk Rock Fury
Against: Thatcher, Fascists, That Fascist Thatcher, Reagan, Nazi Punks, Everyone
"Am I buggin' ya? I don't mean to bug ya." - Bono
Let's cram some more shit in my sig. Cool people cram shit in their sigs. In TECHNICOLOR!

Dooom35796821595
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 11, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby Dooom35796821595 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:07 pm

was it not one of the founding fathers that stated "it is better 100 guilty Persons should escape than that one innocent Person should suffer"
relevance is that if you kill someone you can't unkill them and apologise, and allow them a chance to live there life.
When life gives you lemons, you BURN THEIR HOUSE DOWN!
Anything can be justified if it is cool. If at first you don't succeed, destroy all in your way.
"Your methods are stupid! Your progress has been stupid! Your intelligence is stupid! For the sake of the mission, you must be terminated!”

Tlaceceyaya
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 17, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Tlaceceyaya » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:07 pm

Rereumrari wrote:
Condunum wrote:No it's not. The appeals process for death row inmates are more expensive, on account of the fact that we're planning on killing the person. So we give them far more appeal opportunity.

Source?
Economic Left/Right -9.75, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian -8.87
Also, Bonobos.

Dimitri Tsafendas wrote:You are guilty not only when you commit a crime, but also when you do nothing to prevent it when you have the chance.

Condunum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Condunum » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:08 pm

Rereumrari wrote:

Even if this is true, why should we have the death penalty?
password scrambled

Rereumrari
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Rereumrari » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:09 pm

Dooom35796821595 wrote:

was it not one of the founding fathers that stated "it is better 100 guilty Persons should escape than that one innocent Person should suffer"
relevance is that if you kill someone you can't unkill them and apologise, and allow them a chance to live there life.
Yes and they also were fine with the Death Penalty even though they also included the "cruel and usual" clause in the 8th amendment, which means the death penalty was never meant to be illegal or unconstitutional.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General