NATION

PASSWORD

Super Hero High (old OOC, search for new one)

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Nulvelith
Minister

Founded: Jan 14, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Nulvelith » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:29 am

Wrong about the jello. Jello would hamper it, and stop it from shattering in, but a strong enough noise will overcome that. The human voice is not capable of a strong enough noise, but with amplifiers or superpowers, its just a matter of upping the volume.
And since you missed the point earlier about targeting body parts: there is some frequency that will break parts of the body. More specifically, the types of molecules that make up the body's cells.
Thirdly, we are not fluid. We are malleable solids of varying solidity, with fluid parts. And its all held together by SOLID proteins, which form the shape of our cells.
Last point before i leave this annoying argument: mythbusters is a tv show that performs experiments much the same way a high school class does, albeit with much larger budget. They are by no means even close to 100% accurate, nor do they ever acvount for all of the variables in play. They try something, think of a few different ways to do it, and do it and claim their answer. An actual laboratory would show some completely different, far mor accurate results.
Example to prove my point: mythbusters tried to use a plane's jet engine to flip a car, and failed. Busted. They only used one car, based on how similar it looked to one in a youtube video. Reality (and they even showed it when the episode aired) is that their have been several proven accounts and footage of cars being tossed by a plane's jetstream, including police reports. Mythbusters is not perfect, they know it, and you should be able to realize that.
I am forthwith leaving this argument before i am forced to call upon the trolls.
Be silent. Be not still.

Orinon
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 08, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Orinon » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:22 am

Its far too early in the morning for me to even attempt to read this.
I did some threads a long ass time ago that some people care about Iunno ya'll crazy.

Answers to Orinon or Watery. Part time author, part time gas station attendant, full time cynical bastard.

Altruistic Paladins
Senator

Founded: Feb 23, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Altruistic Paladins » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:52 am

Nulvelith wrote:Wrong about the jello. Jello would hamper it, and stop it from shattering in, but a strong enough noise will overcome that. The human voice is not capable of a strong enough noise, but with amplifiers or superpowers, its just a matter of upping the volume.
And since you missed the point earlier about targeting body parts: there is some frequency that will break parts of the body. More specifically, the types of molecules that make up the body's cells.
Thirdly, we are not fluid. We are malleable solids of varying solidity, with fluid parts. And its all held together by SOLID proteins, which form the shape of our cells.
Last point before i leave this annoying argument: mythbusters is a tv show that performs experiments much the same way a high school class does, albeit with much larger budget. They are by no means even close to 100% accurate, nor do they ever acvount for all of the variables in play. They try something, think of a few different ways to do it, and do it and claim their answer. An actual laboratory would show some completely different, far mor accurate results.
Example to prove my point: mythbusters tried to use a plane's jet engine to flip a car, and failed. Busted. They only used one car, based on how similar it looked to one in a youtube video. Reality (and they even showed it when the episode aired) is that their have been several proven accounts and footage of cars being tossed by a plane's jetstream, including police reports. Mythbusters is not perfect, they know it, and you should be able to realize that.
I am forthwith leaving this argument before i am forced to call upon the trolls.

I find your claims of the experiments being conducted as though they are from a high school science class to be nebulous. Lots of high schools' science classes do not even perform science in the first place, mistakenly thinking of science as a collection of facts instead of a method.

Your arguement falls apart in the "Mythbusters" department that they never called that myth busted on the first attempt, just plausible due to difficulties during testing. They determined it "confirmed" later. That is the awesome thing about Mythbusters, as they follow the scientific method in that they will rerun experiments to get more accurate results. This is what seperates them from such bull-carp as "Braniac: Science Abuse". They abandon hypotheses when results prove them wrong and hold no attachements to their results. M5 Industries does good work in popularizing the scientific method and spreading awareness of how the scientific method works. They do not hold anything to be sacred. One of the keys things of science is that you are ready to acknowledge that everything you know can be proven wrong, it is just a question of if. However, the evidence available right now does not show everything is wrong right now, so we have to act as though it is correct until further testing is done.

In the words of excellent scientist and popularizer of it Bill Nye:

"Extroardinary claims require extroardinary evidence."
Last edited by Altruistic Paladins on Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.
By Hits Holy Hand,
The Imperial Majesty Emperor Norton II of the People of the DSA and Protector of Ukraine
Inaugurated 12:06 A.M. Ecuador Standard Time, June 26, 2014; crowned 12:23 A.M. EST; June 26, 2014; instituted the Separation of Positions 1:07 A.M. EST, June 26, 2014; retired from office 4:58 P.M. EST, June 27, 2014; returned to office 1:05 A.M. EST, June 30, 2014; retired again 12:05 P.M. EST

Corrian
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 19, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Corrian » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:52 am

Orinon wrote:Its far too early in the morning for me to even attempt to read this.

I just got up and read it all:P
My Last.FM and RYM

Look on the bright side, one day you'll be dead~Street Sects

Camicon
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Camicon » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:00 pm

Altruistic Paladins wrote:I find your claims of the experiments being conducted as though they are from a high school science class to be nebulous. Lots of high schools' science classes do not even perform science in the first place, mistakenly thinking of science as a collection of facts instead of a method.

Your arguement falls apart in the "Mythbusters" department that they never called that myth busted on the first attempt, just plausible due to difficulties during testing. They determined it "confirmed" later. That is the awesome thing about Mythbusters, as they follow the scientific method in that they will rerun experiments to get more accurate results. This is what seperates them from such bull-carp as "Braniac: Science Abuse". They abandon hypotheses when results prove them wrong and hold no attachements to their results. M5 Industries does good work in popularizing the scientific method and spreading awareness of how the scientific method. They do not hold anything to be sacred. One of the keys things of science is that you are ready to acknowledge that everything you know can be proven wrong, it is just a question of if. However, the evidence available right now does not show everything is wrong right now, so we have to act as though it is correct until further testing is done.

In the words of excellent scientist and popularizer of it Bill Nye:

"Extroardinary claims require extroardinary evidence."

I'm angry because I dislike it when people act ignorantly, and say ignorant things, and believe themselves to be above basic debate etiquette. Make an assertion, you back it up or withdraw.

I also dislike it when people ignore reality in favour of their own opinions.
Nulvelith wrote:Wrong about the jello. Jello would hamper it, and stop it from shattering in, but a strong enough noise will overcome that.(1) The human voice is not capable of a strong enough noise, but with amplifiers or superpowers, its just a matter of upping the volume.(2)
And since you missed the point earlier about targeting body parts: there is some frequency that will break parts of the body. More specifically, the types of molecules that make up the body's cells.(3)
Thirdly, we are not fluid. We are malleable solids of varying solidity, with fluid parts. And its all held together by SOLID proteins, which form the shape of our cells.(4)
Last point before i leave this annoying argument: mythbusters is a tv show that performs experiments much the same way a high school class does, albeit with much larger budget(5). They are by no means even close to 100% accurate, nor do they ever acvount for all of the variables in play(6). They try something, think of a few different ways to do it, and do it and claim their answer. An actual laboratory would show some completely different, far mor accurate results(7).
Example to prove my point: mythbusters tried to use a plane's jet engine to flip a car, and failed. Busted. They only used one car, based on how similar it looked to one in a youtube video. Reality (and they even showed it when the episode aired) is that their have been several proven accounts and footage of cars being tossed by a plane's jetstream, including police reports(8). Mythbusters is not perfect, they know it, and you should be able to realize that.(9)
I am forthwith leaving this argument before i am forced to call upon the trolls.(10)

1) Citation needed
2) Citation needed
3) Citation needed
4) True. Which is not something I ever contested. In fact, I made a point of saying "flesh and blood" many times.
5) Verifiably false.
6) True. And they acknowledge this. And when people bring forward legitimate gripes, they re-do the experiments, in different way and with greater depth.
7) Do you actually think that they show everything the Mythbusters actually do on the show? No. There is a shitton of things that they never air, even more that they never film.
8) Citation needed
9) I never said they were perfect. But, pray tell, what does that have to do with the specific myth that, when frozen solid a body will shatter like ice? Look, take some grass. Freeze it in ice. Now break the ice with a hammer. Does the grass shatter? No, it does not. So why would a piece of flesh act differently?
10) Call upon the trolls? Come again? Do you mean to call me a troll? Or do you mean that you will bring people to troll me? Or something else entirely? Could you clarify?

You are the one making ridiculous claims. Back it up with some evidence (which you can't, because you are wrong).

MA, as much as I enjoy tearing apart poorly crafted arguments, do you mind stepping in and delivering an OP ruling?
Last edited by Camicon on Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hey/They
Active since May, 2009
Country of glowing hearts, and patrons of the arts
Help me out
Star spangled madness, united sadness
Count me out
The Trews, Under The Sun
No human is more human than any other. - Lieutenant-General Roméo Antonius Dallaire
Don't shine for swine. - Metric, Soft Rock Star
Love is hell. Hell is love. Hell is asking to be loved. - Emily Haines and the Soft Skeleton, Detective Daughter

Why (Male) Rape Is Hilarious [because it has to be]

Corrian
Khan of Spam

New York Times Democracy

Postby Corrian » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:08 pm

Ugh, I know how it feels, Camicon. I just spent my whole morning debating/arguing with people who still think BioWare owes them a changed Mass Effect 3 ending.
My Last.FM and RYM

Camicon
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Camicon » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:15 pm

Corrian wrote:Ugh, I know how it feels, Camicon. I just spent my whole morning debating/arguing with people who still think BioWare owes them a changed Mass Effect 3 ending.

I actually enjoyed the ME3 ending. People just keep over analyzing what apparently happened. Even after BioWare released an official statement on what happened.
Hey/They
Active since May, 2009
Country of glowing hearts, and patrons of the arts
Help me out
Star spangled madness, united sadness
Count me out
The Trews, Under The Sun
No human is more human than any other. - Lieutenant-General Roméo Antonius Dallaire
Don't shine for swine. - Metric, Soft Rock Star
Love is hell. Hell is love. Hell is asking to be loved. - Emily Haines and the Soft Skeleton, Detective Daughter

Why (Male) Rape Is Hilarious [because it has to be]

Corrian
Khan of Spam

New York Times Democracy

Postby Corrian » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:23 pm

Camicon wrote:
Corrian wrote:Ugh, I know how it feels, Camicon. I just spent my whole morning debating/arguing with people who still think BioWare owes them a changed Mass Effect 3 ending.

I actually enjoyed the ME3 ending. People just keep over analyzing what apparently happened. Even after BioWare released an official statement on what happened.

So did my sister and my dad, and countless others.

I agree with the over analyzing thing. But still, people dislike it and think BioWare owes them a new ending, even though, even after someone gave me a source, I see no proof of it being a majority that wants it changed. Even if they are a majority, they still don't owe anyone a new ending in my opinion. To me, it is like saying you dislike an ending of a movie, and because of it, they owe you a new re-filmed ending. It is just silly in my opinion.

I've heard of some people who, after thinking about the ending more too, they liked it more. Also, the extended cut did it for a lot of people. I haven't finished it yet, so....But I expect to like it. I just think it made people have to think about it too much, I dunno. Don't really care as long as they shut up about it. It's been a year, people just seriously need to move on. There's been plenty of "Meh" endings to things that I haven't gone on an outrage about.

Besides, it has been proven that controversy can just help things, even if for a little bit.
My Last.FM and RYM

Altruistic Paladins
Senator

Founded: Feb 23, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Altruistic Paladins » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:38 pm

I do share the disappointment in the ending that the "retake Mass Effect" crowd has, and do think it demonstrates the mistakes of St. Elsewhere's ending, Twin Peaks' ending, and Lost's ending in one ending which artists can dissect. I think that the ending is a good example of how not to do a finale, and think it can be used as a good aid in understanding how not to do finales. I sympathize with the idea that Bioware lied to some extent about the number of endings (leaked scripts do show they never intended to go above three endings), though that is hardly my concern beyond the endings given being great examples of how not to make endings. I even understand how frustration can be worse with games than other media because video games, as an interactive media, have people experience the art differently rather than just percieve the art differently. I do think there is nothing wrong from expecting better from a respected developer making the conclusion to a series with a good reputation as a story.

However, I do think people over-reacted on the "Retake Mass Effect" side. I hate hate-filled spewed profinity laden complaints. I hate intellectually void jerks thinking the people at Bioware needed to die for it. I cannot stand the portion who thought divine wrath was necessary to be incurred upon Bioware. I cannot understand people who thought they "owned" the franchise. I could not understand a sizeable portion of the "Retake Mass Effect" people in general. On the other hand, I do also think people on the other side over-reacted by saying that artistic integrity is dead and the medium set back decades by Bioware altering the ending post-release considering that Kingdom of Heaven, Blade Runner, Little Shop of Horrors, and I am Legend all benefited from alterations after release.

Whatever I may think of the quality of the ending, I did think this article about how Drew Karpyshyn, the lead writer of Mass Effect and the co-lead writer of Mass Effect 2, originally planned to end the franchise does provide food for thought since the implication of the article is that this was the ending they planned to go with before the script of Mass Effect 3 was leaked. It does provide good fodder for discussion about the quality of the ending at launch versus the new ending versus the one used before the script leak and whether changing scripts after a script leak makes sense or not.

Also, I need to pick myself off the floor after reading the word "over-analyzing".
Last edited by Altruistic Paladins on Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:20 pm, edited 8 times in total.
By Hits Holy Hand,
The Imperial Majesty Emperor Norton II of the People of the DSA and Protector of Ukraine
Inaugurated 12:06 A.M. Ecuador Standard Time, June 26, 2014; crowned 12:23 A.M. EST; June 26, 2014; instituted the Separation of Positions 1:07 A.M. EST, June 26, 2014; retired from office 4:58 P.M. EST, June 27, 2014; returned to office 1:05 A.M. EST, June 30, 2014; retired again 12:05 P.M. EST

The Magic Hobo
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 04, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Magic Hobo » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:26 pm

Comic relief.

Girl: aww look, a puppy!
Me: Careful honey, it has a knife.
Puppy with knife strapped to side: What? Noo, no I don't.
Some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Pragia
Powerbroker

Founded: May 08, 2012
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Pragia » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:46 pm

The Magic Hobo wrote:Comic relief.

Girl: aww look, a puppy!
Me: Careful honey, it has a knife.
Puppy with knife strapped to side: What? Noo, no I don't.

Claiming asdf things to be yours is bad and you should feel bad.

Orinon
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Orinon » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:58 pm

As the founder of the original SHS thread, I hereby decree that this argument is silly, and you should all feel bad.

If you wanna argue, use the TG system.
I did some threads a long ass time ago that some people care about Iunno ya'll crazy.

Answers to Orinon or Watery. Part time author, part time gas station attendant, full time cynical bastard.

Pragia
Powerbroker

Postby Pragia » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:36 pm

Orinon wrote:As the founder of the original SHS thread, I hereby decree that this argument is silly, and you should all feel bad.

For clarification, your guys are still fighting right?

Orinon
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Orinon » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:44 pm

Pragia wrote:
Orinon wrote:As the founder of the original SHS thread, I hereby decree that this argument is silly, and you should all feel bad.

For clarification, your guys are still fighting right?

Nope. And they weren't fighting. It was twin sister tickling twin brother. Shoulda made it more clear. :P

Pragia
Powerbroker

Postby Pragia » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:45 pm

Orinon wrote:
Pragia wrote:For clarification, your guys are still fighting right?

Nope. And they weren't fighting. It was twin sister tickling twin brother. Shoulda made it more clear. :P

Can I edit... Actually nvm, my guy could just see it as that

Levtos
Attaché

Founded: Oct 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Levtos » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:17 pm

. . . Well... i apologise to all persons involved for causing an argument.
Quotes worth stating:

"FUS RO DAH!!"
"FAWK YO COUCH!"
"WE ARE THE ANGRY MARINES!!! WE'RE ANGRY DAMMIT!!!!"
"Roflcopter goes SOISOISOISOISOISOISOISOISOISOISOISOISOISOISOISOISOISOI!!!!!!"

I am a wolf furry. Deal with it.

Orinon
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Orinon » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:39 pm

Good boy.

Have a cookie.

*smashes a building sized cookie on top of you*

Orinon
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Orinon » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:18 am

In my post:

LOUD NOISES.

Eaglleia
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 06, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Eaglleia » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:31 am

431 pages... whoa. Still open?

Corrian
Khan of Spam

New York Times Democracy

Postby Corrian » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:41 am

Eaglleia wrote:431 pages... whoa. Still open?

Yup

Orinon wrote:Good boy.

Have a cookie.

*smashes a building sized cookie on top of you*

*Eats remains of cookie*

Anyway, Cassie is now having issues in class...
My Last.FM and RYM

Almere
Lobbyist

Founded: Oct 11, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Almere » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:01 am

Corrian wrote:

Yup

great :p

Name: Samuel "Loco" Morkam
Nationality: British
Height: 5'
Weight: 90 lbs
Hair: white with blue tips
Eyes: black
Costume (if any): always dresses in white
Abilities: teleportation, prehensile tail, ability detection
Dorm: Vigilante
Brief Bio: Born and raised to adolescence in South London in an average working-class family. On a trip to his grandparents in the Canadian Rockies he fell from a small cliff and was in a coma for several weeks. When he awoke, he had suffered amnesia and began undergoing changes and manifestations of his abilities (as well as changes in physical appearance, including a tail, white skin and hair, and pitch-black eye colour). He fled his grandparents' home and went in search of others like him. He finally heard of the High School for those that were different, and went to find it.

Orinon
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Orinon » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:17 am

You'll noticed that around 6 people are constantly here. The rest come and go.

Dunno why. I mean, I give them cookies, but still they run D:

Eaglleia
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 06, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Eaglleia » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:32 am

Name: Razrel Akhal
Nationality:English/Japanese
Height:5'11"
Weight:63 kg
Hair:Black
Eyes:Silver
Costume (if any):No
Abilities:
-Super Speed
-Telekinesis
-Reduced aging
-Other high physical capabilities (High within human constraints only, however, and therefore not "super")
Subject: Power Control
Brief Bio:Born in rural Scotland, he inherited his powers from his grandfather, and the two were the only ones to know about it. He was given his sword by said grandfather upon his passing. His parents never knew about his powers, and before they could learn about them, while Razrel himself was only 14 years old, they were killed by a men. Losing his senses, Razrel telekinetically shredded the man who killed his parents, however, this was witnessed by a few villagers, an as a result he had to escape before anything came of it, for they feared him. After wandering through the countryside, he was taken in by a man who also possessed powers, albeit rather different ones,and the man became his mentor, teaching him how to properly use his own powers. From there he moved to London where he finished his education and many years later partaking in the First World War. During this time period, the man who had taken him in passed on as well, and Razrel moved to America, after which his life became considerably more normal. However, he was eventually pulled again into a war, the Second World War. And some time later, yet again, this time the one to eliminate the vampires. Unlike most, he enjoyed his employment as a fighter, but he eventually quit this job and decided to do what both his grandfather and mentor had asked him to do, and help others who also possess powers.

Edit:Retconned some powers, made the abilities description clearer, added subject properly
Last edited by Eaglleia on Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:18 am, edited 29 times in total.

Orinon
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Orinon » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:38 am

Can I just say, waaaaaaaaay too many abilities.

Pragia
Powerbroker

Postby Pragia » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:04 am

Why Edam need to make class pointless? Want to talk again, but I get a feeling Asgardian intervention is soon.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse