NATION

PASSWORD

Winter Short Story Contest (2012) Winners Announced!

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Kingsmouth
Minister

Founded: Jun 05, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Kingsmouth » Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:29 pm

Well, here is my entry. It has goats.

It is entitled, "the goat salesman". I kept it short.

"I'm sick of those god damned smelly creatures. I swear to the mighty walrus 'imself, those eyes stare right into your soul" the goat salesman said, motioning for the bartender to bring him another drink.
"Why don't you just leave the miserable business? hell, I could get you job at the factory if you wanted, it's easy money really."said the man next to him, a portly bloke by the name of Peter.
"I couldn't, uncle says we have to keep selling those filthy beasts. We can't keep the house for much longer like this. No one buys fucking goats. what do you do with a goat? It was bad when the only one who would by them was Terry, 'fore he got arrested for sticking his genitals in 'em." the goat salesman replied.
"Bloody hell, if it's that bad, burn the wretched things in the goat room, and be done with it!"
"Uncle says we have to sell them. I don't have time for any other jobs, tending to them. Odd man, but I really need to help him out, as he did for me."
"I think the best thing for him is probably a mental institution. This is ridiculous Steve."
"I tried to get another job before, but he doesn't like it. He gets angry.I would try to argue,but he's getting very aggressive about it.If we don't sell them ALL within the next week, we're living in the streets, with nothing but an obese cat and a ton of goats."
"That's real nice Steve, but I don't see why you don't just tell him you aren't selling goats anymore. He can't make you, you're a grown man. You shouldn't be wasting your life away selling goats for an old man in a dingy old shack."
"I just want to help, and this is how he wants it.Now, I need to get back, it's my shift."

The goat salesman left shortly after that conversation. He trudged home in the rain and up the tall, grassy hill to the goat shop.Uncle sat in from of the goat house staring blankly at the town below.
"Did you sell any?" the goat salesman asked.
"No."
"Alright then."
And with that, they traded places, and the goat salesman sat in the rain. Nothing happened for nearly an hour, when something very peculiar happened. The silhouette of a man coming up the hill. He soon became visible, wearing a dull purple robe, with the hood pulled down. He had thinning grey hair, and he appeared to be in his forties.
"Hello there. Do you sell goats?"
The goat salesman at first was silent.
"No way. Peter is paying this guy to fuck with me. No one buys fucking goats." he thought, before responding.
"Absolutely. Are you interested in purchasing one?"
"Yes. Could I pay for an order of seven now, and return for more next week?"
The goat salesman was awestruck.
"The Walrus has smiled upon me today! at long last! no...wait...this can't be real. who buys that many goats, let alone any?" he thought.
"Is everything alright?" the robed man asked.
"Of course. I'l go get them for you now.

The next day he told uncle the news. The old man looked slightly worried.
"What's wrong? This is great!" the goat salesman asked.
"No. we can't sell them the goats."
"What? what are you on about you old git?"
"We can't. I don't...trust them. We keep the goats."
"You stubborn fuck! We need the money!"
"No. We keep the goats."
"I'm sick of this shit. I've tried to help you uncle, but that's it. I'm done."
"Fine, leave me. You ware always useless with the goats. never gentle enough."
"Yeah, I bet you get REAL gentle with those goats you pervy old man. A year of my god damned life here!"
The goat salesman stormed out, leaving the old man at the goat house.

As the goat salesman was leaving, the robed man was coming by.
"Ah hello again sir. I've just come to collect my goats. There has been a change of plan. we want all the goats today."
"Take it up with that guy. I no longer work here." the goat salesman said with a frustrated tone.
"Mm. I see."
The man no longer spoke to him, walking by without making eye contact, staring at uncle.
I was curious as to what uncle would say, in regards to denying the man his goats. He crept up to the door frame of the shoddily put together building.

The man in the robe spoke in a different tone. One of contemptuous glee, as though getting sadistic pleasure from his words." Time to pay your debt old man." he said.
"No. I will not leave her like this. She's still fertile with that wondrous seed." uncle sputtered, crawling to his knees, "please...her children will be homeless...you can't..."
The robed man smiled, and turned to leave. The swift turn startled the eavesdropping goat salseman, who darted away. The robed man clearly hadn't noticed him, or simply didn't care. The man approached the goat house, as uncle ran out of the house wielding a kitchen knife.
The robed man turned and stabbed him with dagger, hidden in his sleeve. Uncle fell to his knees, grabbing the open wound with his hand.
"You owed your life to Shub-Niggurath for this gift. Now it has been taken." the man said, making eye contact with the goat salesman. A smile crawled across his face as he pushed the old man from his blade, and turned to the goat house.

The goat salseman knew he should do something, but not thinking, he ran to the goat house.
He walked in to see an enormous creature, appearing almost like an enormous multiple headed goat covered in black tumorous growths filled with an odd liquid. It spoke in an unintelligible language that made the goat salesman's ears bleed, and his head hurt. He began getting dizzy, as the robed man crawled inside the creature, and the goats huddled around the goat salesman, obscuring his view, right before he fell unconscious.
Last edited by Kingsmouth on Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ph'nglui mglw'nafh wgah'nagl Cthulhu R'lyeh fhtagn

"The process of delving into the black abyss is to me the keenest form of fascination."
-HP Lovecraft

OOC:
I don't tend to like grouping myself in with -isms, but a few i'm pretty firm about right now:
Atheist, nihilist. Politically I don't adhere to any particular ideology. I suppose I would be considered far-left.
You can call me Abe if you prefer.

Esternial
Retired Moderator

Founded: May 09, 2009
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Esternial » Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:40 pm

Kingsmouth wrote:Well, here is my entry. It has goats.

It is entitled, "the goat salesman". I kept it short.

"I'm sick of those god damned smelly creatures. I swear to the mighty walrus 'imself, those eyes stare right into your soul" the goat salesman said, motioning for the bartender to bring him another drink.
"Why don't you just leave the miserable business? hell, I could get you job at the factory if you wanted, it's easy money really."said the man next to him, a portly bloke by the name of Peter.
"I couldn't, uncle says we have to keep selling those filthy beasts. We can't keep the house for much longer like this. No one buys fucking goats. what do you do with a goat? It was bad when the only one who would by them was Terry, 'fore he got arrested for sticking his genitals in 'em." the goat salesman replied.
"Bloody hell, if it's that bad, burn the wretched things in the goat room, and be done with it!"
"Uncle says we have to sell them. I don't have time for any other jobs, tending to them. Odd man, but I really need to help him out, as he did for me."
"I think the best thing for him is probably a mental institution. This is ridiculous Steve."
"I tried to get another job before, but he doesn't like it. He gets angry.I would try to argue,but he's getting very aggressive about it.If we don't sell them ALL within the next week, we're living in the streets, with nothing but an obese cat and a ton of goats."
"That's real nice Steve, but I don't see why you don't just tell him you aren't selling goats anymore. He can't make you, you're a grown man. You shouldn't be wasting your life away selling goats for an old man in a dingy old shack."
"I just want to help, and this is how he wants it.Now, I need to get back, it's my shift."

The goat salesman left shortly after that conversation. He trudged home in the rain and up the tall, grassy hill to the goat shop.Uncle sat in from of the goat house staring blankly at the town below.
"Did you sell any?" the goat salesman asked.
"No."
"Alright then."
And with that, they traded places, and the goat salesman sat in the rain. Nothing happened for nearly an hour, when something very peculiar happened. The silhouette of a man coming up the hill. He soon became visible, wearing a dull purple robe, with the hood pulled down. He had thinning grey hair, and he appeared to be in his forties.
"Hello there. Do you sell goats?"
The goat salesman at first was silent.
"No way. Peter is paying this guy to fuck with me. No one buys fucking goats." he thought, before responding.
"Absolutely. Are you interested in purchasing one?"
"Yes. Could I pay for an order of seven now, and return for more next week?"
The goat salesman was awestruck.
"The Walrus has smiled upon me today! at long last! no...wait...this can't be real. who buys that many goats, let alone any?" he thought.
"Is everything alright?" the robed man asked.
"Of course. I'l go get them for you now.

The next day he told uncle the news. The old man looked slightly worried.
"What's wrong? This is great!" the goat salesman asked.
"No. we can't sell them the goats."
"What? what are you on about you old git?"
"We can't. I don't...trust them. We keep the goats."
"You stubborn fuck! We need the money!"
"No. We keep the goats."
"I'm sick of this shit. I've tried to help you uncle, but that's it. I'm done."
"Fine, leave me. You ware always useless with the goats. never gentle enough."
"Yeah, I bet you get REAL gentle with those goats you pervy old man. A year of my god damned life here!"
The goat salesman stormed out, leaving the old man at the goat house.

As the goat salesman was leaving, the robed man was coming by.
"Ah hello again sir. I've just come to collect my goats. There has been a change of plan. we want all the goats today."
"Take it up with that guy. I no longer work here." the goat salesman said with a frustrated tone.
"Mm. I see."
The man no longer spoke to him, walking by without making eye contact, staring at uncle.
I was curious as to what uncle would say, in regards to denying the man his goats. He crept up to the door frame of the shoddily put together building.

The man in the robe spoke in a different tone. One of contemptuous glee, as though getting sadistic pleasure from his words." Time to pay your debt old man." he said.
"No. I will not leave her like this. She's still fertile with that wondrous seed." uncle sputtered, crawling to his knees, "please...her children will be homeless...you can't..."
The robed man smiled, and turned to leave. The swift turn startled the eavesdropping goat salseman, who darted away. The robed man clearly hadn't noticed him, or simply didn't care. The man approached the goat house, as uncle ran out of the house wielding a kitchen knife.
The robed man turned and stabbed him with dagger, hidden in his sleeve. Uncle fell to his knees, grabbing the open wound with his hand.
"You owed your life to Shub-Niggurath for this gift. Now it has been taken." the man said, making eye contact with the goat salesman. A smile crawled across his face as he pushed the old man from his blade, and turned to the goat house.

The goat salseman knew he should do something, but not thinking, he ran to the goat house.
He walked in to see an enormous creature, appearing almost like an enormous multiple headed goat covered in black tumorous growths filled with an odd liquid. It spoke in an unintelligible language that made the goat salesman's ears bleed, and his head hurt. He began getting dizzy, as the robed man crawled inside the creature, and the goats huddled around the goat salesman, obscuring his view, right before he fell unconscious.

Hey! Goats!

I used a goat in my previous entry :p

Costa Alegria
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 29, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Alegria » Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:01 pm

I want to write a story along the lines of those "Scandinavia and the World" comics.
I AM THE RHYMENOCEROUS!
Member of the [under new management] in the NSG Senate

If You Lot Really Must Know...
Pro: Legalisation of Marijuana, LGBT rights, freedom of speech, freedom of press, democracy yadda yadda.
Con: Nationalism, authoritariansim, totalitarianism, omnipotent controlling religious beliefs, general stupidity.
Meh: Everything else that I can't be fucked giving an opinion about.

Kingsmouth
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Kingsmouth » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:52 am

A goat? singular? Mine contains many goats.

THEY ARE WATCHING

"The process of delving into the black abyss is to me the keenest form of fascination."
-HP Lovecraft

OOC:
I don't tend to like grouping myself in with -isms, but a few i'm pretty firm about right now:
Atheist, nihilist. Politically I don't adhere to any particular ideology. I suppose I would be considered far-left.

Nightkill the Emperor
Post Kaiser

Founded: Dec 28, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Nightkill the Emperor » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:53 pm

Hmm.

I can probably do this.
Hi! I'm Khan, your local misanthropic Indian.
I wear teal, blue & pink for Swith.
P2TM RP Discussion Thread
If you want a good rp, read this shit.
Tiami is cool.
Nat: Night's always in some bizarre state somewhere between "intoxicated enough to kill a hair metal lead singer" and "annoying Mormon missionary sober".

Swith: It's because you're so awesome. God himself refreshes the screen before he types just to see if Nightkill has written anything while he was off somewhere else.

Monfrox wrote:
The balkens wrote:
# went there....

It's Nightkill. He's been there so long he rents out rooms to other people at a flat rate, but demands cash up front.

Esternial
Retired Moderator

Postby Esternial » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:02 pm

Nightkill the Emperor wrote:Hmm.

I can probably do this.

We'll see about that... ;)

Kingsmouth
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Kingsmouth » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:03 pm

Yours should have goats.
Then we can have two stories about goats, and they can cross over and have more goat adventures.

-HP Lovecraft

OOC:

Nazi Flower Power
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 24, 2010
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Nazi Flower Power » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:27 pm

Kingsmouth wrote:Yours should have goats.
Then we can have two stories about goats, and they can cross over and have more goat adventures.

Then in the spring you can write a sequel and enter it in the next short story contest. There'll be goats everywhere!
The Serene and Glorious Reich of Nazi Flower Power has existed for longer than Nazi Germany! Thank you to all the brave men and women of the Allied forces who made this possible!

Esternial
Retired Moderator

Postby Esternial » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:35 am

Nazi Flower Power wrote:
Kingsmouth wrote:Yours should have goats.

Then in the spring you can write a sequel and enter it in the next short story contest. There'll be goats everywhere!

I started the goat-thing.

Before it was cool.
Last edited by Esternial on Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kingsmouth
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Kingsmouth » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:03 pm

Shub-Niggurath was doing it well before you.

-HP Lovecraft

OOC:

Esternial
Retired Moderator

Postby Esternial » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:28 pm

Kingsmouth wrote:Shub-Niggurath was doing it well before you.

Ah, so you've heard of me?

Kingsmouth
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Kingsmouth » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:36 pm

No, I suppose that was an assumption, but Shubies been doing this a long time.

-HP Lovecraft

OOC:

Esternial
Retired Moderator

Postby Esternial » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:01 pm

Kingsmouth wrote:No, I suppose that was an assumption, but Shubies been doing this a long time.

Hey! Only friends are allowed to call me that.

Kingsmouth
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Kingsmouth » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:02 pm

...mein gott. Is it really you?

-HP Lovecraft

OOC:

Esternial
Retired Moderator

Postby Esternial » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:07 pm

Kingsmouth wrote:...mein gott. Is it really you?

Indeed.

Kingsmouth
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Kingsmouth » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:36 pm

The goat god of the woods? The bearer of a thousand dark young?

-HP Lovecraft

OOC:

Nazi Flower Power
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 24, 2010
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Nazi Flower Power » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:29 pm

AAAAACHTUNG!!! (Yes, being in the Greater German Reich is a bad influence on me.)

We still need two more judges! Anybody want to judge this thing?
The Serene and Glorious Reich of Nazi Flower Power has existed for longer than Nazi Germany! Thank you to all the brave men and women of the Allied forces who made this possible!

Kingsmouth
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Kingsmouth » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:37 pm

I already submitted a story, so I couldn't. But I guess I could give my... {ahem} unbiased opinions on them...

-HP Lovecraft

OOC:

Kingsmouth
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Kingsmouth » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:38 pm

-HP Lovecraft

OOC:

Costa Alegria
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 29, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Alegria » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:10 pm

I'll be a judge.
I AM THE RHYMENOCEROUS!
Member of the [under new management] in the NSG Senate

If You Lot Really Must Know...
Pro: Legalisation of Marijuana, LGBT rights, freedom of speech, freedom of press, democracy yadda yadda.
Con: Nationalism, authoritariansim, totalitarianism, omnipotent controlling religious beliefs, general stupidity.
Meh: Everything else that I can't be fucked giving an opinion about.

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:42 am

Costa Alegria wrote:I'll be a judge.

Alright, one more judge needed before the 15th.
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

Johz
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Johz » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:55 am

At last. Erm. It's got nothing to do with winter, and is crap. But I finished the damn thing, so I might as well post it.

I wake up, and you're there.

It's still a bit of a shock. I mean, we've been married for a whole month now. I expect you to be gone each morning. But still the gracious, ivory curve of your back lies on our creamy-white bed, your soft brown hair spraying out like a paintbrush over the pillows. You've been sleeping restlessly tonight though, I can tell. The duvet crumples and wraps around you, and you clutch it tightly under your arm. Even as I watch, you mumble a hidden secret, and turn over again, while the bed creaks softly.

This is probably what woke me up. I haven't the heart to criticise you for it, though. I gently tease the bedclothes back slightly, and curl up. As I work my way back into the warmth, my back gently nudges yours. Our spines meet, as we face away, but together. I realise suddenly that this is how I want to die - back to back with you, taking on the world. Is that too morbid? Three months isn't long enough for that, is it?

The red light of my clock shifts slightly, as one more minute is recorded. I watch it blinking rhythmically, counting up, collating our time together. The display notes another minute, then a third, and I begin to realise that sleep is not going to be forthcoming. I can already feel my mind working, wandering, keeping me awake.

I remember when we first met. It was a house party, Colin's, I think. It was certainly Colin's iPod and speakers that pumped his eclectic mix of rap, rock and cheesy pop through this cheap, student apartment. You'd just arrived, although I think I'd been there a while. Someone introduced us to each other, me as "James, from Liverpool, we went to the same school", and you as "Anna, she's a physicist like you. You are still doing physics, aren't you, Anna?" You were. I asked if you'd seen the latest CERN results. You had. You asked if I watched The Big Bang Theory. I did. We stood awkwardly for a moment in that loud, exciting environment, then you laughed and said you needed a night off from physics, and offered me a beer.

You're shifting again, I can feel your back, and hear the rustling of the sheets. Anna, what vexes you so? What are you dreaming of that I can't help you with? I'd lean over and kiss you, but I'm scared to wake you up. Bad as your night may be, heaven knows you need the sleep.

Do you remember our first date? Of course you do. We watched some crappy film - I can't remember any of it now, was it one of those fantasy epics you were so into? - and Katherine had recommended that fantastic Italian place, except of course it turned out to be shut. You were so kind to me, so forgiving, even when it started raining and I'd managed to forget my umbrella. I remember how we both huddled under my jacket as we ran down the street looking for somewhere to get some food. I'll never forget the way you laughed when I refused to let us eat in McDonalds. It wasn't at all cruel, or scornful. You were so pleased that I wouldn't dare have our date end like that.

"James?"

Go back to sleep, Anna. I tilt me head slightly to look at you. Your head is stationary, facing away from me, protected by your fine, beautiful hair, but I know your eyes are open, staring at that damned letter.

"Yes?" I reply, hesitantly throwing the word out into the gulf between us.

There is a long, expanding pause.

"Nothing," you answer, your pleasant Lincolnshire burr marred by something which might just be a cold. I see you move slightly, and feel your hand hunting for mine. I clasp it tightly - but not too tightly. You're warm, and soft.

Seconds pile up between us - minutes, and you don't say anything, don't move at all. All I can hear is the gentle in-out of your lungs, pumping that much-needed oxygen around your body. Then your breathing slows down, and I know you've gone back to sleep. I feel the tension in my body pass away.

I think you took me to your parents before I took you to my parents. Of course, we'd met on Skype, but that's never the same, is it? Tinny speakers, fuzzy picture, and that smell wasn't there. That horrible smell. It was a combination of old, wet dog; some terribly expensive brand of shoe polish; and your dad's cigars. Your mother was fantastic, though. She met us at the door, took away our bags, and within five minutes we were sitting at the table eating the most fantastic stew. You always seemed to take it for granted that there would be food ready whenever we went there. In the end, after everything happened, so did I. Even that smell wasn't enough to tear me away from the comfort your family seemed happy to offer.

My mum's stroke came first. We were camping over the Easter holidays, just the two of us, in some surprisingly beautiful countryside near Birmingham. I'd gone away to the toilet. I remember the block being some distance away, and I had to cross that God-awful road that split the campsite in two. It wasn't particularly busy, it just meant you had to be a bit slower, a bit more careful. And then there was that marshy bit that never seemed to dry up even on the hottest day (and it was a very hot day that day). There was that smell that hung around it, over rotting green pond life. And then on the way back, I thought it would be a good idea to pick some of those wildflowers, and give you a little gift. There were loads of those little blue ones, and then I found a fantastic orange flower, with a single leaf, and a stem that held it right up in the middle of the small patch of un-mown wilderness.

Of course I left my phone at our tent. I'd been charging it, and hadn't thought to take it with me. So you picked it up. Sometimes I wonder if, had I answered that call, things would all be different. If it would be me, not you. Silly, but at least it might have been something. Not this feeling of helplessness. Your face was so white when I arrived back, and I knew something was wrong, I just didn't know what. Had you hurt yourself? Were we being thrown out of our flat? So many thoughts rushed through my mind then. And then you told me, and I remember struggling to put it together in my head as we waited for another phone call.

We drove back home soon after that. Packed everything away into the back of your old Vauxhall, and drove off. Of course we hit the busy traffic, and the horrible waiting seemed to magnify just because of that. By the time we hit London, it was past midnight. My mum was in hospital, so we went straight there. Do you remember how quiet it was? I hated the feeling that we were waiting for her, that there was nothing we can do. I remember even the doctor drumming tension into the room, tapping his finger on his clipboard.

Tap, tap, tap.

Tap, tap, tap.

Tap, tap-

And then it was over.

It took a while for me to recover, didn't it? The first week was okay, because we had so much to sort out. I think my father, my brother and I propped ourselves up by organising the certificates and the funeral, and just generally having things to do. Then the activity passed, and we just seemed to drift away from each other. I spent ages back at your parents' house, your mother being lovely as always. I remember getting into poetry for a while. I could act quite normal when I was reading poetry - as normal as one can be when reading poetry - but I never felt as if I was myself when I did it. It was as if I could channel someone else, who had the eloquence to express my emotions in words that others could understand. But of course these dead poets could only ever express their emotions, so while I could pretend momentarily that my feelings were being solidified into letters on a page and sounds in the air, I always felt as if I'd missed a piece of the whole thing.

Do you remember Anthony? Vaguely, perhaps. He didn't often come round to our flat, but I saw him a lot after work, and during breaks. I guess he nursed me back to life. I think I'd have preferred it if you had, but Anthony was completely uninvolved in my family life, so it was almost easier to open up to him. I don't pretend to know why - I'm not a psychologist. I talked, and he listened, and then he nodded slowly, and that small piece was finished with. Maybe not so straightforward, but whatever it was, it worked.

We used to drink while we were talking. Not much at first, but as these sessions became more and more frequent, we gradually drank more, and eventually exchanged the talking for drinking. Looking back, I guess Anthony had his own problems that he couldn't share, and helping me was his poor ineffectual attempt at helping himself - or at least disguising his own problems. Eventually it got too much, and you started noticing. I was never home when you wanted me to be, and when I was I stank of alcohol. I was angry all the time, except when I drank. I shouted, and I abused you, and I became an alcoholic. I'd like to say that Mum's death excused me, but at that time I was not a nice person. And then you moved out, so I didn't need to excuse myself anyway.

I remember walking, absolutely hammered, into our flat - my flat - and suddenly realising you weren't there. You'd moved out weeks ago, but something clicked suddenly. We'd built up so much of a life together, had been so much together, and here I was forcing you out, and ending it all. I had this thing where if I had a really good idea while drunk, I'd write it down on a sticky note and I'd be able to remember it the next morning. Most of them were the sorts of terrible ideas that just shouldn't happen ever, but that seem like fantastic ideas when drunk. But what I wrote down that night was probably the best thing I've written in my life. I've still got it in a box of papers somewhere. Two words. "Marry Anna."

Thankfully I didn't act on it that night. I'm good at bad ideas, but that would have been disastrous. But next morning, after finally getting up and sorting out some sort of breakfast, I found the paper, and had the sudden realisation that we had always planned to get married. Not necessarily verbal planning, but an unspoken assumption that we were going to stay together for the rest of our lives. And clearly that had gone wrong, and I needed to get back to the place where it could go right.

You know about me and Alcoholics Anonymous. I refused to walk in sober for a long time. Not drunk, per se, but not in any way sober. Certainly it made the event much more enjoyable, seeing it through the gentle, rosy haze of slight inebriation. But then I saw you in the street, and suddenly remembered how much I wanted you back. After that it was slightly easier, but still I needed something. So I took long walks near the flat of the friend you were staying with. Every so often I'd catch a glimpse of you, and I knew I could go back to AA and carry on. You managed to save me from a life of, well, idiocy, just by shouting angrily at me and threatening to call the police every time you saw me.

Hush, Anna. It's going to be okay. You turn in your sleep again, and groan slightly. I feel so damn ineffectual, lying here watching you go through all of this. I'd wrap my arms around you, but I'm scared that will make it worse. I'm scared anything will make it worse, Anna, I don't think I've ever been so scared in my life. Stay with me forever, Anna.

Well I managed it in the end. Never touched a drop of alcohol since. Six months sober, and I knew I was done. I knew that I was ready to face you, to plead for your return.

Except I wasn't, was I? Three times I walked up to your friend's forbidding white door, the frosted glass hiding you away, twisting you into shapes that I couldn't face. Three times I prayed to every god I could think of for the courage that I could no longer get from a bottle, and three times I knew that there was no point. I knew I had to do something more.

You still knew Katherine. I think that was my lifeline. You and Kat had been friends since the first year of University, and you're still together today. You'd listen to a person like her, I knew. So I called her up, and explained my side of the story. All of it, from when Mum died, through to you leaving me, onwards to me wanting to marry you, and finishing with this. I never knew how hard it is to do that. I couldn't give her excuses, I knew that. I had been an alcoholic. I had forced you to leave me. I was the person responsible for this mess.

And that was when I found out. Of course, she was still my friend too, so she got you to meet me. I still don't know how she did that, how hard it was to get you to recognise that I was really sorry. But by this point it was all too late. You were dying.

We met at McDonalds. I think Kat thought it would remind us of our first date, make us smile a bit. I saw where she was coming from, but there wasn't much to smile about. I took an afternoon off to come and see you. You'd just got back from a check-up at the hospital. We talked about small things. Your friends had done a "Come Dine With Me" dinner party. My colleague had just written an interesting paper. The world was almost back to normal. We could still be friends, right?

Ironically, it was a stroke. Not as bad as Mum's in that you didn't die, but worse, because that clot remained. Complications dogged every opportunity they had. The hospital smelt even cleaner this time, and was even more quiet. It became more and more clear that this was just a matter of time. You were alive for now. That was all we had, really. They gave you a prognosis of five months. Of three weeks. Of a year. Eventually, things stabilised. You were still going to die, but at least we knew when. At least we knew how much time you had to plan for.

So I asked you. You'd given me everything that I hadn't deserved, and now, in the face of your death, I demanded one more thing from you, hoping against all hope that you wanted it too. I found a ring, and it was beautiful, and I found a time and a place, and it was also beautiful, and when the time came you said yes, and I think that was most beautiful. The wedding was rushed, and cheap, but also beautiful. And in the end it wasn't as cheap as it could have been, because we were able to blow our savings on it. We had a honeymoon in Scotland, because you liked nature. I never told you how much I hated the countryside after Mum died, but I think you cured me of that in the end.

And now we've settled back into my flat, and life is normal again, except that I keep a picture of Mum on my bedside cabinet, and you keep a letter from the doctor on yours, and we both keep rings on our fingers. And in a few hours you'll get up and make me a cooked breakfast, because it's Saturday, and I'll take you to the nearby hills, and we'll walk in silence. Just the two of us. I love you, Anna.
Always Ready (With a Cuppa): UDL
Praise [violet] for safe switching!

The Village of Johz - (Factbook)
Head of Foreign Affairs:
Mr Newman
Head of the Flower Rota: Mrs Figgis
Population: 269 (Johzians)
Sometime between when the "evolution is just a theory" nonesense dies out, and when Ashmoria starts using captitalization. - EnragedMaldivians
It's called a tangent. It tends to happen on NSG. - Olthar
[E]very Brit I've met on the internet has been violently apathetic. - Conserative Morality
This is Johz. I'd like to give him a hug someday. - Celly
See a mistake? Send me a telegram!|I would be very much indebted to you.
LINKS: My Website|Barryman|Gay Marriage: Who will be next?

#NSG on esper.net - Join us!
Also, bonobos zygons.

North Wiedna
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 01, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby North Wiedna » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:30 am

I'm making some good progress, at least.

http://pastebin.com/Gnt5qH4Y
I am not at all interested in immortality, only in the taste of tea.

Jessjohnesik
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 11, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Jessjohnesik » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:40 am

I'll make a horror story! :lol:
ಠ_ಠ Proud owner of the Mystery Genre RPer award 2014!!
Pro: Science, environmentalism, equal rights, const. monarchy, mixed economy, Scientocracy, abortion, Western Europe, NZ, Japan, Australia, Nordic countries, SKorea, EU, immigration control, Merkel, Buddhism, Israel, centrism, eurofederalism, GMOs, soft euroscepticism
Against: Biophobia, social Conservatism, excessive militarism/pacifism, hedonism, totalitarianism, anarchism, fascism, communism, feminism SJWs/BLM, corruption, Islam, Christianity, Palestine, nazism, Russia, Arab League, Saudi Arabia, Greece, traditionalism, moralism, UKIP, uncontrolled immigration
Political Graph

I wonder if you're the worst person I've ever met; at a certain age it's hard to recall... ~ Olenna to Cersei,Game of Thrones

Esternial
Retired Moderator

Postby Esternial » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:52 am

North Wiedna wrote:I'm making some good progress, at least.

http://pastebin.com/Gnt5qH4Y

Enter a white sheet of paper

"It's covered in snow"

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction