NATION

PASSWORD

Is Your Halloween Costume Racist?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Torcularis Septentrionalis
Powerbroker

Founded: May 05, 2012
Ex-Nation

Is Your Halloween Costume Racist?

Postby Torcularis Septentrionalis » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:24 pm

Hi, I've been up some 30+ hours, but I wanted to share this with you all because it's very important. Because halloween is coming up shortly, there's something that needs to be brought to some attention here. I'm not going to sit here and say "omg you guys are racist," but... well, have you thought about whether your costumes are?
ImageImageImageImage

I kind of got into the whole "Cultural Appropriation" thing when I realized that Native Americans, who are probably the most oppressed and misrepresented people in the USA, were being fetishized and sexualized by turning their beautiful, wide range of cultures into stereotypical Halloween costumes. "Indian Chief," "Cherokee Princess," "Red Indian," and "Indian Brave" are among the samplings you can find in just about any costume shop near Halloween. But, let's not also forget the "Geisha" and "Samurai" costumes that clump Asian cultures all together into one massive clusterfuck for the sake of selling pretty, shiny dressed in a tacky polyester lotus print. We also can't forget the homegrown costumes... People putting on blackface, pretending to be gangsters and thugs, or people wearing "middle eastern" clothing with fake bombs strappped to their chest...

Is this what we've come down to? Instead of getting creative with our costumes or buying something fun and magical, or silly and whimsical. I mean, who doesn't want to go to a Halloween party as a penis? I do. Penises are cool. But, WHY are be turning minorities into costumes? When did it become okay to demean the culture of others to polyester and stereotypes? Why are we making light of sacred objects like warbonnets?

It's not okay. I might be a white, American girl with no culture to speak of, but that doesn't mean that I can't say, "hey, reconsider that costume because it's fucking insensitive." Below I've listed some resources, but first, how do you determine whether your halloween costume makes you look like a dick?
a. It is a costume related to someone's culture of heritage.
b. It is a costume depicting a particular race of people.
If you meet a or b or both, maybe you should give it some thought for sensitivity. If you don't meet these qualifications, congrats, your costume is NOT culturally inappropriate / racist.

My Identity Is Not A Costume
An Open Letter To Non-Native in Headdresses
But Why Can't I Wear A Hipster Headdress?
A Sampling of The Racism For Sale
On Why Prancing Around In a Warbonnet And Warpaint Is'nt Appreciating Native Culture
Cultural Appropriation And Costumes
Dia De Los Muertos is NOT Your Halloween
Cultural Appropriation And Halloween

SO, NSG, do you think dressing up as other cultures of races is racist?
The Andromeda Islands wrote:This! Is! A! Bad! Idea!
Furious Grandmothers wrote:Why are you talking about murder when we are talking about abortion? Murdering a fetus is impossible. It's like smelling an echo. You're not making sense.

20 year old female. Camgirl/student. Call me Torc/TS/Alix

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Founded: Nov 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:29 pm

Torcularis Septentrionalis wrote:SO, NSG, do you think dressing up as other cultures of races is racist?

No, at least not necessarily.
Don't take life so serious... It isn't permanent...
Freedom from religion is an integral part of Freedom of religion
Married to Koshka
USMC veteran MOS 0331/8152
Grave_n_Idle: Maybe that's why the bible is so anti-other-gods, the other gods do exist, but they diss on Jehovah all the time for his shitty work.
Ifreann: Odds are you're secretly a zebra with a very special keyboard.
Ostro: I think women need to be trained
Margno, Llamalandia, Tarsonis Survivors, Bachmann's America, Internationalist Bastard B'awwwww! You're mean!

Saiwania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Saiwania » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:33 pm

It is just a costume, let people dress up as they want. I think it is safe to say that what you have is White guilt and a belief in political correctness.
Sith Acolyte
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken!

Cetacea
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 27, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Cetacea » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:34 pm

bravo, I agree entirely and I must say those are some attractive models you have there:)

Torcularis Septentrionalis wrote:It's not okay. I might be a white, American girl with no culture to speak of, but that doesn't mean that I can't say, "hey, reconsider that costume because it's fucking insensitive."

White American girls do have there own distinct culture and costumes like Cow girl, vampire chique and dead cheerleader might be fine and not suffer from the same issue of disrespect and appropriation...

Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Torcularis Septentrionalis » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:37 pm

Saiwania wrote:It is just a costume, let people dress up as they want. I think it is safe to say that what you have is White guilt and a belief in political correctness.

So, I can put on blackface and expect to not be called racist and insensitive? It's not disrespectful to demean vast cultures to a singular, stereotyped, fetishized ideal?
Furious Grandmothers wrote:Why are you talking about murder when we are talking about abortion? Murdering a fetus is impossible. It's like smelling an echo. You're not making sense.

Tubbsalot
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 17, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Tubbsalot » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:39 pm

Er, I could understand a native American or Arab being upset about the respective costume, but the geisha costume has to be one of the least offensive stereotypes in the world (not to mention there's no implication that every Asian is a geisha). And I don't even understand the one for the black woman. Are they stereotypically targeted by vampires?

This is coming across as oversensitivity, to me at least. How far does it go? Obviously there are no ye olde Victorians around these days, but would it still be disrespectful to dress up in flouncy ye old clothes?

Edit: wait, is the black woman's one meant to be that she's slathered in phat bling (i.e. one sadly obnoxious necklace)?
Last edited by Tubbsalot on Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Twats love flags." - Yootopia

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:41 pm

Torcularis Septentrionalis wrote:
Saiwania wrote:It is just a costume, let people dress up as they want. I think it is safe to say that what you have is White guilt and a belief in political correctness.

So, I can put on blackface and expect to not be called racist and insensitive?

You might be called racist, that doesn't necessarily make it true.
Married to Koshka
Grave_n_Idle: Maybe that's why the bible is so anti-other-gods, the other gods do exist, but they diss on Jehovah all the time for his shitty work.
Margno, Llamalandia, Tarsonis Survivors, Bachmann's America, Internationalist Bastard B'awwwww! You're mean!

Saruhan
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Saruhan » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:41 pm

Just because I saw this, i'm going to specifically dress and act like the biggest Colonial soldier and John Bull fanboy from the 1880s as possible. Or is it only racist if they haven't been a great power in the last 4-5 centuries or so?
Caninope wrote:The idea of Pakistan, India and Bangladesh reuniting is about as logical as the idea that Barack Obama will kill his wife, marry Ahmadinejad in a ceremony officiated by Mitt Romney during the 7th Inning Stretch of the Yankees-Red Sox game, and then the happy couple will then go challenge President Xi for the position of General Secretary of the CCP in a gladiatorial fight to the death involving roaches, slingshots, and hard candies.

Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Torcularis Septentrionalis » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:42 pm

Tubbsalot wrote:Er, I could understand a native American or Arab being upset about the respective costume, but the geisha costume has to be one of the least offensive stereotypes in the world (not to mention there's no implication that every Asian is a geisha). And I don't even understand the one for the black woman. Are they stereotypically targeted by vampires?

This is coming across as oversensitivity, to me at least. How far does it go? Obviously there are no ye olde Victorians around these days, but would it still be disrespectful to dress up in flouncy ye old clothes?

The Black woman is a white woman who has painted herself to have brown skin, chains, a "grill", and the classic gang-related bandanna on her wrist.

Also, Victorian dresses are neither related to traditional culture, nor are they related to a specific race.
Last edited by Torcularis Septentrionalis on Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cielomare
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 21, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Cielomare » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:45 pm

So, she's dressing as a gang member? I missed the part where it implied all dark skinned people are gang members and dress like that.

Actually, I missed that part where any of those costumes imply all people "represented" as something dress like that.
*DefCon 5*DefCon 4*DefCon 3*DefCon 2*DefCon 1*
[align=center]"Proud" Christian

Saiwania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Saiwania » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:45 pm

Torcularis Septentrionalis wrote:So, I can put on blackface and expect to not be called racist and insensitive? It's not disrespectful to demean vast cultures to a singular, stereotyped, fetishized ideal?

I don't care what other people think of my costume choice, if I want to wear something I will. I suppose I am a brash and insensitive person but take from it as you will. You refer to yourself in the OP as a "White American girl with no culture to speak of." Might it be possible that you are really just ashamed about being White, and you don't want to risk offending anyone?
Last edited by Saiwania on Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sith Acolyte
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken!

Treko
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 04, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Treko » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:46 pm

Dressing up as a S. American guerrilla fighter isn't racist, is it?

Saruhan
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Saruhan » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:47 pm

So, I can put on blackface and expect to not be called racist and insensitive? It's not disrespectful to demean vast cultures to a singular, stereotyped, fetishized ideal?

It's All-Hallows-Eve, you're supposed to dress up in a way you would never normally dress.
Caninope wrote:The idea of Pakistan, India and Bangladesh reuniting is about as logical as the idea that Barack Obama will kill his wife, marry Ahmadinejad in a ceremony officiated by Mitt Romney during the 7th Inning Stretch of the Yankees-Red Sox game, and then the happy couple will then go challenge President Xi for the position of General Secretary of the CCP in a gladiatorial fight to the death involving roaches, slingshots, and hard candies.

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:48 pm

Cielomare wrote:So, she's dressing as a gang member? I missed the part where it implied all dark skinned people are gang members and dress like that.

Actually, I missed that part where any of those costumes imply all people "represented" as something dress like that.

That would be a sign that you're thinking rationally.
Married to Koshka

Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Torcularis Septentrionalis » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:50 pm

Saiwania wrote:
Torcularis Septentrionalis wrote:So, I can put on blackface and expect to not be called racist and insensitive? It's not disrespectful to demean vast cultures to a singular, stereotyped, fetishized ideal?

I don't care what other people think of my costume choice, if I want to wear something I will. I suppose I am a brash and insensitive person but take it as you will. You refer to yourself in the OP as a "White American girl with no culture to speak of." Might it be possible that you are really just ashamed about being White?

I'm not ashamed of being white. If I were black or asian or middle eastern, I wouldn't be ashamed either. I was born to this race.
I just don't have a culture, but I still think every culture deserves respect.

Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Torcularis Septentrionalis » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:51 pm

Cielomare wrote:So, she's dressing as a gang member? I missed the part where it implied all dark skinned people are gang members and dress like that.

Uhm. That's what her specific costume is implying. It's really not okay to try to pretend to be any culture or race you're not. It's offensive.

Sardine World
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 22, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Sardine World » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:51 pm

it aint racist if you hate all the races equally

duh
Economic Left/Right: 6.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.05
Updated 3/22/15

Coherent Imbeciles
Envoy

Founded: Jan 20, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Coherent Imbeciles » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:51 pm

Wow. People are legitimately feeling asspain about this?
I'm not seeing anybody getting hurt about cowboy/girl outfits, surfer costumes, or nerdy apparel. Is it that we Californians don't get to be outraged minorities?
I say fuck a lot.
I don't like obnoxious bronies. You can watch the show. Just don't shout about it from the rooftops.

Things they will be alright.
There's nothing sicker in society than a lack of liquor and sobriety.

Meryuma
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 16, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Meryuma » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:52 pm

I don't think being white and dressing as a geisha or a samurai is racist unless you painted yourself yellow or something. I generally agree with your point, though.
ᛋᛃᚢ - Social Justice Úlfheðinn
Potarius wrote:
Neo Arcad wrote:Gravity is a natural phenomenon by which physical bodies attract with a force proportional to their mass.

In layman's terms, orgy time.

Niur wrote: my soul has no soul.

Saint Clair Island wrote:The English language sucks. From now on, I will refer to the second definition of sexual as "fucktacular."

Trotskylvania wrote:Alternatively, we could go on an epic quest to Plato's Cave to find the legendary artifact, Ockham's Razor.

Norstal wrote:Gunpowder Plot: America.

Meryuma: "Well, I just hope these hyperboles don't...

*puts on sunglasses*

blow out of proportions."

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

...so here's your future

Sardine World
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 22, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Sardine World » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:52 pm

Coherent Imbeciles wrote:Wow. People are legitimately feeling asspain about this?
I'm not seeing anybody getting hurt about cowboy/girl outfits, surfer costumes, or nerdy apparel. Is it that we Californians don't get to be outraged minorities?

^^^^^^
Economic Left/Right: 6.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.05
Updated 3/22/15

Saruhan
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Saruhan » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:52 pm

Saiwania wrote:
I don't care what other people think of my costume choice, if I want to wear something I will. I suppose I am a brash and insensitive person but take it as you will. You refer to yourself in the OP as a "White American girl with no culture to speak of." Might it be possible that you are really just ashamed about being White?

I'm not ashamed of being white. If I were black or asian or middle eastern, I wouldn't be ashamed either. I was born to this race.
I just don't have a culture, but I still think every culture deserves respect.

Bullshit you don't. You share a basic linguistic culture at the very least, There's also the local religion that would no doubt influence you (even if it's influence turned you off religion) the mass media, your system of law

Tubbsalot
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 17, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Tubbsalot » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:53 pm

Torcularis Septentrionalis wrote:The Black woman is a white woman who has painted herself to have brown skin, chains, a "grill", and the classic gang-related bandanna on her wrist.

Oh, so that's why it looked weird. I dunno, that still doesn't come across as offensive to me, but I suspect the American context is a different one.

Torcularis Septentrionalis wrote:Also, Victorian dresses are neither related to traditional culture, nor are they related to a specific race.

Right, so, what would you suggest going as? Does everyone have to be an inanimate object? You can't go as a geisha, because wearing traditional Japanese costume is racist; you can't go as a witch, because you're demeaning wiccans as quaint amusements; can you go as a princess, or would that be invoking the historical function of women as window dressing?
"Twats love flags." - Yootopia

Meryuma
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 16, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Meryuma » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:55 pm

Tubbsalot wrote:
Torcularis Septentrionalis wrote:The Black woman is a white woman who has painted herself to have brown skin, chains, a "grill", and the classic gang-related bandanna on her wrist.

Oh, so that's why it looked weird. I dunno, that still doesn't come across as offensive to me, but I suspect the American context is a different one.

It definitely is, but even outside of that it would be racist.
ᛋᛃᚢ - Social Justice Úlfheðinn
Potarius wrote:
Neo Arcad wrote:Gravity is a natural phenomenon by which physical bodies attract with a force proportional to their mass.

In layman's terms, orgy time.

Niur wrote: my soul has no soul.

Saint Clair Island wrote:The English language sucks. From now on, I will refer to the second definition of sexual as "fucktacular."

Trotskylvania wrote:Alternatively, we could go on an epic quest to Plato's Cave to find the legendary artifact, Ockham's Razor.

Norstal wrote:Gunpowder Plot: America.

Meryuma: "Well, I just hope these hyperboles don't...

*puts on sunglasses*

blow out of proportions."

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

...so here's your future

Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Torcularis Septentrionalis » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:55 pm

Tubbsalot wrote:

Torcularis Septentrionalis wrote:Also, Victorian dresses are neither related to traditional culture, nor are they related to a specific race.

Right, so, what would you suggest going as? Does everyone have to be an inanimate object? You can't go as a geisha, because wearing traditional Japanese costume is racist; you can't go as a witch, because you're demeaning wiccans as quaint amusements; can you go as a princess, or would that be invoking the historical function of women as window dressing?

Uhhh, witches as classic horror/fantasy witches don't represent wiccans/pagans. I used to be pagan, it really didn't have anything to do with us.
Princess doesn't "invoke the historical function of women as window dressing." You're kind of grasping at straws.

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:55 pm

Uhm. That's what her specific costume is implying.1 It's really not okay to try to pretend to be any culture or race you're not.2 It's offensive.3

1: Not really, no.
2: Yes, it is.
3: Only if you're grasping for something to be offended by.
Married to Koshka

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General