NATION

PASSWORD

Protestantism no longer majority religion in US

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Saruhan
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Protestantism no longer majority religion in US

Postby Saruhan » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:57 pm

At least, that's what our friends in the Pew Forum on Religion & Public Life say

Anyway, while this doesn't really affect my life in any way, I wonder what it will mean for the American political scene. Will the Bible belt be getting less attention as a result? I certainly can't say anything for a fact, but I have a feeling that this will definitely cause the GOP and religious figures to start to sweat, what with their primary support base shrinking. But what do you think NSG?
Caninope wrote:The idea of Pakistan, India and Bangladesh reuniting is about as logical as the idea that Barack Obama will kill his wife, marry Ahmadinejad in a ceremony officiated by Mitt Romney during the 7th Inning Stretch of the Yankees-Red Sox game, and then the happy couple will then go challenge President Xi for the position of General Secretary of the CCP in a gladiatorial fight to the death involving roaches, slingshots, and hard candies.

Divair
Khan of Spam

Founded: May 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Divair » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:59 pm

The number of atheists has increased dramatically, so I'm happy.

CVT Temp
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 03, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby CVT Temp » Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:04 pm

The republicans will continue to move further to the right and appeal to a base of old people who keep getting older. The democrats, being weak, will follow them rightward. After the base of the GOP dies, they will become a fringe third party and another party will arise as a legitimately progressive party with the Dems becoming the new right wing.
Иф ю кан рид дис, ю ар рили борд ор ю ар Россияне.

Osterveim
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 01, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Osterveim » Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:04 pm

It hasn't been the majority religion here in Suffolk County, NY in a very long time. But the decrease in religiosity in the US is something I have both noticed and derived immense satisfaction from.
Recently returned after some years away, cringing at my old forum posts

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jun 14, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Ostroeuropa » Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:07 pm

good news, somewhat. We should remember that protestants aren't guarantee'd to vote right wing.
I suspect this isn't the number of theocrats dropping, it's people who were already agreeing with secularism deciding "fuck it, i don't actually believe anyway."
So this won't have any effect on actual politics beyond making us able to deny that the USA is a "protestant nation" on a whole NEW ground.
Last edited by Ostroeuropa on Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ostro.MOV

There is an out of control trolley speeding towards Jeremy Bentham, who is tied to the track. You can pull the lever to cause the trolley to switch tracks, but on the other track is Immanuel Kant. Bentham is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Critique of Pure Reason. Kant is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Principles of Moral Legislation. Both men are shouting at you that they have recently started to reconsider their ethical stances.

Divair
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Divair » Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:07 pm

CVT Temp wrote:The republicans will continue to move further to the right and appeal to a base of old people who keep getting older. The democrats, being weak, will follow them rightward. After the base of the GOP dies, they will become a fringe third party and another party will arise as a legitimately progressive party with the Dems becoming the new right wing.

Legitimately progressive party?

Please. Now. Need.

Vetalia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 23, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Vetalia » Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:08 pm

I wonder what the demographic growth in Roman Catholics is, though, considering widespread Hispanic immigration to the southwestern states.
Economic Left/Right: 0.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.05

Saruhan
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Saruhan » Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:08 pm

Divair wrote:
CVT Temp wrote:The republicans will continue to move further to the right and appeal to a base of old people who keep getting older. The democrats, being weak, will follow them rightward. After the base of the GOP dies, they will become a fringe third party and another party will arise as a legitimately progressive party with the Dems becoming the new right wing.

Please. Now. Need.

NNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Don't let that party form! Canada will not be denied!
Caninope wrote:The idea of Pakistan, India and Bangladesh reuniting is about as logical as the idea that Barack Obama will kill his wife, marry Ahmadinejad in a ceremony officiated by Mitt Romney during the 7th Inning Stretch of the Yankees-Red Sox game, and then the happy couple will then go challenge President Xi for the position of General Secretary of the CCP in a gladiatorial fight to the death involving roaches, slingshots, and hard candies.

Divair
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Divair » Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:09 pm

Saruhan wrote:
Divair wrote:Legitimately progressive party?

Please. Now. Need.

NNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Canada will still be awesome. The US will just suck less.

Vazeckta
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 15, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Vazeckta » Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:11 pm

There are many more irreligious people, and, in my area at least, a huge influx of Catholics. I'm neither surprised nor happy.
Last edited by Vazeckta on Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Political Compass
Economic Left/Right: 10.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.72
I would probably vote with the American Libertarian Party.
I'm a Christian.
Likes:Capitalism, Classical liberalism, religion, state secularism,gay marriage, charity, God
Dislikes:Left-wing economics, statism, authoritarianism, theocracy, state atheism, social security, welfare, UN, DPRK, PRC
Meh:Teetotalism, pro-choice, EU, legalizing drugs
Blazedtown wrote:
Gladia wrote:I hope you two don't plan on procreating.

Why? A family cross burning is a great bonding activity.

Saruhan
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Saruhan » Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:11 pm

Divair wrote:
Saruhan wrote:NNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Canada will still be awesome. The US will just suck less.

I was thinking more that you might go to the US instead if their politics weren't so fucking awful. We need people who aren't fundies to come here

Divair
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Divair » Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:12 pm

Saruhan wrote:
Divair wrote:Canada will still be awesome. The US will just suck less.

I was thinking more that you might go to the US instead if their politics weren't so fucking awful. We need people who aren't fundies to come here

No, I'm still going to Vancouver. Still an infinite amount of reasons why Canada is better.

Sulamalik
Minister

Founded: Apr 08, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Sulamalik » Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:22 pm

Divair wrote:
Saruhan wrote:I was thinking more that you might go to the US instead if their politics weren't so fucking awful. We need people who aren't fundies to come here

No, I'm still going to Vancouver. Still an infinite amount of reasons why Canada is better.

If the worst aspects of San Francisco and Seattle got together and made a baby, Vancouver would be that baby's dirty diaper.

Toronto's far superior to every city in literally every way possible and if you think differently your either a frenchie or a Newfie..

/rest my case
Last edited by Sulamalik on Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Freiheit Reich wrote:"Economically disadvantaged and angry urban youth music."
Is that a nicer and more modern term to use?

Shadowlandistan
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 05, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Shadowlandistan » Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:32 pm

Divair wrote:The number of atheists has increased dramatically, so I'm happy.

As am I.

Hopefully this will eventually force the GOP to change it's base to Libertarian minded folk, instead of imperialistic, fascist theocrats.
Economic Left/Right: -6.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.54

You are an anarcho-collectivistic.

Cosmopolitan 43%- Nationalistic
Secular 104% -Fundamentalist
Visionary 72%- Reactionary
Anarchistic 76%- Authoritarian
Communistic 34%- Capitalistic
Pacifist 47%- Militaristic
Ecological 16%- Anthropocentric

Faolinn
Minister

Founded: Aug 04, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Faolinn » Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:40 pm

Yes let's all worship the great non-existence. The non-existence rules all and Christopher Hitchens is it's prophet. *bows and performs his not-prayers for the fifth time today.*
Last edited by Faolinn on Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:43 pm, edited 5 times in total.
"And the Gods said down with tyrants and it was good."-Me
One of the religious left.
Research supports cynicism
My ideology.

I support: Deism, Evolution, Pro Choice, Feminism, Environmentalism, Communal Anarchism, Cosmopolitanism, Transcendentalism, Occultism, Anarcho Syndicalism, Mutualism, Legalizing Illegal substances, Sexual Freedom, LGBT Rights, Freedom of Speech

I oppose: Fascism, Objectivism, Determinism, Nihlism, Evangelism, Anarcho Capitalism, Atheism (militant), Conservatism, Monarchy, Totalitarianism,Might = Right, Timocracy, Plutocracy, Oligarchy, Materialism, Creationism, Transhumanism, Legalism, Nationalism, Imperialsm, Racism

I disagree with but have some respect for: Secular Humanism, Agnosticism

Soviet Russia Republic
Minister

Founded: Sep 04, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Soviet Russia Republic » Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:43 pm

20 per cent of Americans say they have no religious affiliation

Really that's it? I'd never guess it would be that low.
Head of Government: Lenia Baikova
Head of State: Vasily Kebin
Population: 172 million
Economy: Command
Religion: State Atheism
Chest' i Slava Rossii
Pro:Russia|Serbia|Norway|Just Russia|CSTO|Secularism|Social Equality
Anti:Nazism|Stalinism|Racism|Homophobia|Religious Extremism|Terrorism

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Postby Ostroeuropa » Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:43 pm

Faolinn wrote:

Yes let's all worship the great non-existence. The non-existence rules all and Christopher Hitchens is it's prophet. *bows and performs his not-prayers for the fifth time today.*

You're adorable. We don't worship anything, that doesn't mean we worship nothing.
Last edited by Ostroeuropa on Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ostro.MOV

There is an out of control trolley speeding towards Jeremy Bentham, who is tied to the track. You can pull the lever to cause the trolley to switch tracks, but on the other track is Immanuel Kant. Bentham is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Critique of Pure Reason. Kant is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Principles of Moral Legislation. Both men are shouting at you that they have recently started to reconsider their ethical stances.

Choronzon
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 17, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Choronzon » Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:45 pm

Faolinn wrote:

What I worship in many ways can be described as "the great non-existence"

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Postby Ostroeuropa » Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:50 pm

Choronzon wrote:
Faolinn wrote:

What I worship in many ways can be described as "the great non-existence"

Do-ho-ho. Very good :p
Ostro.MOV

Vetalia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Vetalia » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:13 pm

Soviet Russia Republic wrote:
20 per cent of Americans say they have no religious affiliation

Really that's it? I'd never guess it would be that low.

Eh, that's only those who identify as such.

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:17 pm

Divair wrote:

Please. Now. Need.

Shut up and take my money!!!
Social Democracy USA!

Cronatian
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jun 17, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Cronatian » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:18 pm

Well, I assume I better move to the next best country that has the highest Protestant population. Any suggestions? I just need a fall back position before the dreaded "Atheist Uprising", in which they begin to burn our brethern on the stake for being too religious. I guess a good stockpile of food and munitions could last me a few years time. Now all I need are a few good bunk mates. Any volunteers?

Norstal
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 07, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:21 pm

Vetalia wrote:I wonder what the demographic growth in Roman Catholics is, though, considering widespread Hispanic immigration to the southwestern states.

The local priest have been saying that Catholics have been leaving in droves once they reach adulthood.

However, it might be on the increase due to immigration, but even immigration is slowing down.
Toronto Sun wrote:Best poster ever. ★★★★★

New York Times wrote:No one can beat him in debates. 5/5.

IGN wrote:Literally the best game I've ever played. 10/10

NSG Public wrote:What a fucking douchebag.

Supreme Chairman for Life of the Itty Bitty Kitty Committee

Vetalia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Vetalia » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:23 pm

Norstal wrote:The local priest have been saying that Catholics have been leaving in droves once they reach adulthood.

However, it might be on the increase due to immigration, but even immigration is slowing down.

True, the big surges for Catholicism were from the Irish and later us Poles immigrating in the late 19th century...visited my parents' hometown a couple of years back and the main church is now closed.

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:27 pm

Cronatian wrote:Well, I assume I better move to the next best country that has the highest Protestant population. Any suggestions? I just need a fall back position before the dreaded "Atheist Uprising", in which they begin to burn our brethern on the stake for being too religious. I guess a good stockpile of food and munitions could last me a few years time. Now all I need are a few good bunk mates. Any volunteers?

# 1 British Virgin Islands: 86 %
# 2 Barbados: 67 %
# 3 Jamaica: 61.3 %
# 4 Marshall Islands: 54.8 %
# 5 French Polynesia: 54 %
# 6 United States: 52 %
# 7 Micronesia, Federated States of: 47 %
# 8 Kenya: 45 %
# 9 Switzerland: 35.3 %
# 10 Germany: 34 %
http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/rel_r ... protestant

Next