NATION

PASSWORD

[Submitted] Freedom From Violence

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Krioval
Minister

Founded: Jan 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Krioval » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:10 am

Eireann Fae wrote:"And are your prison wardens and guards coerced into taking on the job? If they sign up voluntarily, this resolution would not affect your prison system."

I'm not talking about the guards. I'm talking about the prisoners. They are being harmed through confinement for "choices" they made. Your Excellency's definitions need to be clearer in clause 1.

Henrik Søgård
Imperial Chiefdom of Krioval

Eireann Fae
Minister

Founded: Oct 15, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Eireann Fae » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:16 am

"'No inhabitant of a member nation shall be coerced under threat or the use of force ... to inflict harm, pain or death on any other sentient being.'" Rowan paraphrases the clause. "This resolution, Ambassador, prevents one from being forced to cause harm, not from being harmed. As I said, this law would prevent your government from forcing citizens to become wardens, not from incarcerating people. If you have citizens willing to arrest, prosecute, detain, and even execute prisoners, the proposed law would have no bearing on your prison system."

Ossitania
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Ossitania » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:46 am

Eireann Fae wrote:"'No inhabitant of a member nation shall be coerced under threat or the use of force ... to inflict harm, pain or death on any other sentient being.'" Rowan paraphrases the clause. "This resolution, Ambassador, prevents one from being forced to cause harm, not from being harmed. As I said, this law would prevent your government from forcing citizens to become wardens, not from incarcerating people. If you have citizens willing to arrest, prosecute, detain, and even execute prisoners, the proposed law would have no bearing on your prison system."

I believe the gentleman from Krioval was confused by the frankly awful syntax of the first clause. Try this;

"1. No inhabitant of a member nation shall be coerced through the threat or the use of force, or the threat of being subject to unreasonable discrimination, economic or otherwise, to inflict harm, pain or death on any other sentient being for any reason."

"for their choices" and "by another" are totally unnecessary, as you can't be discriminated against by anyone but another person and if you're not being threatened with discrimination as a result of your choices, you're not even being coerced.
Guy in the Boat,
GA #146 (Co-authored)
GA #177 (Co-authored)
GA #183(Authored)
GA #198 (Co-authored)
GA #202 (Authored)
GA #206 (Authored)
GA #212 (Co-authored)
GA #238 (Authored)
GA #240 (Authored)

President and Sole Resident of Ossitania

Member of UNOG
Ideological Bulwark #265

Discoveria
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 16, 2006
New York Times Democracy

Postby Discoveria » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:09 am

Eireann Fae wrote:"As to the medical thing... A surgeon that refuses to treat their patients is no surgeon at all. While I would think the Discoverian medical industry ridiculous if they had but one surgeon, and that one (or perhaps all?) refused to aid their patients, perhaps such a contract clause would be beneficial in this field as well. Any surgeon that signs an employment contract with a hospital could be obligated to perform their duties to the best of their abilities, or be made to seek their employment elsewhere..."

Matthew conferred with an aide, then rose to address Rowan. "I believe you have failed to grasp the point of my example. This is not about a doctor who refuses to aid their patient for nefarious reasons. It is about an incompetent professional, who should rightly be punished for negligence, having an inappropriate legal defence available to them due to the far-reaching effect of Clause 2. I concede that an employment contract would allow a prosecution on grounds other than refusal to inflict pain, but a court might still be compelled to acquit the doctor because the defence provided by clause 2, based on WA legislation, takes precedence over national laws governing the doctor's contractual obligations. Also, the example is not specific to Discoveria's healthcare system so let us treat it as a general problem, shall we?"

"Even if you dismiss this example as being unreasonable, the fact is that clause 2 outlines an ethical position that our office believes to be unjustifiable, although we find it difficult to give practical examples at this time. Clause 2 protects people from being punished for refusing to inflict harm, pain or death, regardless of the context or situation. But sometimes, to secure the best interests of the greatest number of people, it may be considered morally right to inflict harm, pain or death on a smaller number of people. Sometimes harm cannot be prevented and the only choice available is to decide which party will be harmed. We believe there are situations where the state should, in the public interest, be allowed to punish those who decide to save the few at the expense of the many. Our office therefore remains opposed to clause 2 as written."
"...to be the most effective form of human government."
Professor Simon Goldacre, former Administrator of the Utopia Foundation
WA Ambassador: Matthew Turing

The Utopian Commonwealth of Discoveria
Founder of LGBT University

A member of | The Stonewall Alliance | UN Old Guard
Nation | OOC description | IC Factbook | Timeline

Eireann Fae
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Eireann Fae » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:11 pm

Rowan makes the suggested change to Clause 1, addressing Ambassador McGregor as she does so. "We agree that the text is cumbersome, but if you check the history of the debate, the specification was suggested by Dr. Ferguson of Sanctaria to account for a particular special case. I'm editing it to suit your suggestion, but welcome further comment on the matter, from Dr. Ferguson or any other interested Ambassador. As for your complaint," Rowan continues, posting the revised draft and turning her attention to Ambassador Turing, "what if we codify a sliver of contract law into this resolution itself? Something along the lines of 'Any contract signed freely and willingly by an inhabitant shall be legally enforced, regardless of the other provisions of this resolution.'?"

Not the best wording ever, but I'm in a rush; have to go to work in <10mins and my hair's not even brushed :(

Ossitania
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Ossitania » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:37 pm

Or perhaps just "1a. The obligation to obey the terms of a valid legal contract shall not be considered a form of coercion by this resolution."
Guy in the Boat,
GA #146 (Co-authored)
GA #177 (Co-authored)
GA #183(Authored)
GA #198 (Co-authored)
GA #202 (Authored)
GA #206 (Authored)
GA #212 (Co-authored)
GA #238 (Authored)
GA #240 (Authored)

Member of UNOG
Ideological Bulwark #265

Eireann Fae
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Eireann Fae » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:57 pm

"We believe it ought to be explicitly stated that the contract must itself be signed without coercion. Also, a particularly malicious nation may regard any contract, even one signed with a spattering of blood, drawn with torture, to be 'valid'. If the clause is to be added, we would prefer it to be something more along the lines of what I mentioned before. Though I do thank you for the idea of placement for the clause. If it is to be added there, the proposed clause 1a would have to be moved to 1b, if ever it did get added."

Eireann Fae
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Eireann Fae » Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:45 am

Rowan sets her blue pen aside and looks over the revised draft. "Not our best wording ever, but perhaps one more concerned with the contract clause can fix it..."

Southern Patriots
Senator

Founded: Apr 19, 2004
New York Times Democracy

Postby Southern Patriots » Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:33 am

Opposed.

Remember Rhodesia.

On Robert Mugabe:
Nightkill the Emperor wrote:He was a former schoolteacher.

I do hope it wasn't in economics.

Panzerjaeger wrote:Why would Cleopatra have cornrows? She is from Egypt not the goddamn Bronx.

Ceannairceach wrote:
Archnar wrote:The Russian Revolution showed a revolution could occure in a quick bloadless and painless process (Nobody was seriously injured or killed).

I doth protest in the name of the Russian Imperial family!
(WIP)

Discoveria
Diplomat

New York Times Democracy

Postby Discoveria » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:43 pm

"I find the current contract clause satisfactory, though I note that it seems out of place to legislate that valid contracts should be legally enforced. It may be more sensible, in terms of voter support, simply to take a modified version of Ambassador MacGregor's suggested clause; this solves the contracts issue without creating new legislation on how contracts should be enforced. We suggest the following:

"1a. Where a valid legal contract has been entered into by a number of parties without any form of coercion, the obligation on all parties to obey the terms of that contract shall not be considered a form of coercion by this resolution.""
Last edited by Discoveria on Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Axis Nova
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 14, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Axis Nova » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:59 pm

Never mind prisons, this proposal effectively outlaws both police and tax collectors.

And taxes, for that matter. And elections.
Last edited by Axis Nova on Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Eireann Fae
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Eireann Fae » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:19 pm

"Wöföezœnil, |iʃinka?" Asks Epiſkœ, as Rowan edits the newest clause as per Turing's request. The girl shrugs as she posts the revised draft.

"I do agree, but he is right about attempting to write contract law into this proposal. His wording is a bit more convoluted, but indeed more accurately portrays what we are attempting to do. Unless you have a better idea?" The diminutive Faerie shrugs.

Both delegates of Eireann Fae cringe as the Novan Ambassador brings up his own objection. "Fe-melʒüʃin melʃin'|i bak efœ'þelövnü? Þelövzœ fe'œöpanilʃin?" Rowan shakes her head before addressing the Ambassador, in a far more calm and diplomatic manner than her boss apparently would.

"Kind sir, I believe you are even more confused than Ambassador Søgård, and do wish you had paid attention when we explained the same thing to him earlier. This resolution does not eliminate police forces - it merely demands that your police force either not cause harm, or be completely voluntary. Inhabitants of your nation can still cause harm if they want to; they simply cannot be forced to do it. The same applies to tax collectors - anybody wanting the job can have it, and are free to inflict all the financial pain they wish. Even dominatrix is allowed under the provisions of this resolution, as the sadist is probably more than willing to inflict pain upon the masochist."

"I am afraid that I have absolutely no idea where you get that this resolution would ban taxes entirely - or elections, for that matter. Can you please elaborate?" Rowan silently wonders of Neville would deliver a Green Vesper to the WA chamber; she's certainly feeling the need for one, and has a feeling that need will only intensify as this debate goes on. Sensing her translator's desires, and wanting to be anywhere but this chamber right now anyway, Epiſkœ flies off to the Bar to place the order...

Translation A little clumsy, isn't it?
Translation Does the idiot not know we discussed this thing already? Does he not even see the discussion?

Eireann Fae
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Eireann Fae » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:02 pm

"Do you believe we have a chance?" asks Rowan, returning to the Chamber after having posted their proposal to the various Delegates, hoping to reach quorum.

"Eʃjaʒü!" exclaims the diminutive Faerie Emissary. "Zöküwil gin möhœſnil-veʃakwaʒü win..."

Rowan laughs. "Let us hope we have a decent torch-bearer in that case! Let us see what kind of support our idea can muster amongst the delegates for now. I only hope they find compulsory violence as distasteful as we do..."

Translation: Of course! As much of a chance as a torch in a torrent...

Linux and the X
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 29, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Linux and the X » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:25 pm

Eireann Fae wrote:"Do you believe we have a chance?" asks Rowan, returning to the Chamber after having posted their proposal to the various Delegates, hoping to reach quorum.

"Eʃjaʒü!" exclaims the diminutive Faerie Emissary. "Zöküwil gin möhœſnil-veʃakwaʒü win..."

Rowan laughs. "Let us hope we have a decent torch-bearer in that case! Let us see what kind of support our idea can muster amongst the delegates for now. I only hope they find compulsory violence as distasteful as we do..."

Translation: Of course! As much of a chance as a torch in a torrent...

First approval!
If you see I've made a mistake in my wording or a factual detail, telegram me and I'll fix it. I'll even give you credit for pointing it out, if you'd like.
BLUE LIVES MURDER

[violet]: Maybe we could power our new search engine from the sexual tension between you two.
Me, responding to a request to vote for a liberation: But... but that would blemish my near-perfect history of spitefully voting against anything the SC does!
Farnhamia: That is not to be taken as license to start calling people "buttmunch."

GPG key ID: A8960638 fingerprint: 2239 2687 0B50 2CEC 28F7 D950 CCD0 26FC A896 0638

they/them pronouns

Eireann Fae
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Eireann Fae » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:27 pm

"Many thanks!"

Eireann Fae
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Eireann Fae » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:25 pm

"Well, we do not seem to need any more of these for WorldVision voters," says Rowan, bringing out a tray of Faerie Cookies, magickal snacks imbued with the Spirit Energy of Spirit Faeries in such a way as to make one eating the cookie feel good, in spite of their current situation. She goes around the room, giving a dozen cookies each to the delegates from Linux and the X, Ohen, Objective Persons, Democatia, Three Weasels, Wheeling Park, Jepp, Gordano and Lysandus, The Republic rome, and Moral Raiders. "Thank you all for your support!"

Linux and the X
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 29, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Linux and the X » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:26 pm

Eireann Fae wrote:"Well, we do not seem to need any more of these for WorldVision voters," says Rowan, bringing out a tray of Faerie Cookies, magickal snacks imbued with the Spirit Energy of Spirit Faeries in such a way as to make one eating the cookie feel good, in spite of their current situation. She goes around the room, giving a dozen cookies each to the delegates from Linux and the X, Ohen, Objective Persons, Democatia, Three Weasels, Wheeling Park, Jepp, Gordano and Lysandus, The Republic rome, and Moral Raiders. "Thank you all for your support!"

omnomnom tasty cookies
If you see I've made a mistake in my wording or a factual detail, telegram me and I'll fix it. I'll even give you credit for pointing it out, if you'd like.
BLUE LIVES MURDER

[violet]: Maybe we could power our new search engine from the sexual tension between you two.
Me, responding to a request to vote for a liberation: But... but that would blemish my near-perfect history of spitefully voting against anything the SC does!
Farnhamia: That is not to be taken as license to start calling people "buttmunch."

GPG key ID: A8960638 fingerprint: 2239 2687 0B50 2CEC 28F7 D950 CCD0 26FC A896 0638

they/them pronouns

Discoveria
Diplomat

New York Times Democracy

Postby Discoveria » Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:54 pm

OOC: I guess IC bribes still work

IC:

"I hereby approve this resolution. Seeing as our office has previously made some contribution to the drafting, it is only appropriate to do so and it's totally not because there are delicious magical cookies going around the chamber," said Matthew.

Eireann Fae
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Eireann Fae » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:59 pm

(OOC: It's not a bribe! It's a reward for having the good sense to support Freedom From Violence! :-)

Rowan smiles broadly as she lays a dozen Faerie Cookies before Ambassador Turing. "Thank you for your support!" she cries, as she goes around the room and distributes another dozen each to the delegates from The North Polish Union, Denras, and Telan.

Nua Corda
Powerbroker

Founded: Jul 17, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Nua Corda » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:08 pm

Looks like this does nothing to defang my Civil Service, so I really don't have much of an objection. I see no reason to vote for it, and most likely will not, but even if it does pass my mandatory service will not be harmed.
Call me Corda.
Sarcasm Warning! This post may not be entirely serious
Bullpups, Keymod and Magpul, oh my!
Bong Hits for Jesus!
Like Sci-Fi? Like Worldbuilding? Check out the Uprising Project!
Renegade for Life|Gun-toting Liberal. Because fuck stereotypes|Your friendly neighborhood gun nerd. Ask me anything!|Shameless Mass Effect Fan. I like Quarians a bit more than I should...|This nation is not a nation, and may or may not represent my views|I have been known to draw guns for folks, occasionally
Because people care, right?

Ossitania
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Ossitania » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:15 am

Ossitania stands by its previous statement of opposition to this resolution. We believe the regime on conscription created under the Military Freedom Act to be more than adequate and will not abide by a total ban on conscription.
Guy in the Boat,
GA #146 (Co-authored)
GA #177 (Co-authored)
GA #183(Authored)
GA #198 (Co-authored)
GA #202 (Authored)
GA #206 (Authored)
GA #212 (Co-authored)
GA #238 (Authored)
GA #240 (Authored)

Member of UNOG
Ideological Bulwark #265

Eireann Fae
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Eireann Fae » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:27 am

"I will not bother going launching another conscription debate, but I will tell you, Ambassador McGregor, that the primary focus of this resolution is naught to do with the act. Certain forms of conscription are included in the spirit of this proposal, but the focus is forcing others to cause harm in any manner. That said, feel free to enslave all the populace that you care to do service and support tasks for your vile military complex. Simply do not ask them to pull any triggers, nor punish them for their refusal to do so."

Having said her piece, Rowan takes up a freshly-laden tray and begins distributing dozens of Faerie Cookies to the delegates from Venaleria, GROSS Independency, The balkens, United Greater France, and New-Zealand. "Thank you all for your support!" The girl then walks to the desk of the Nua Cordan Ambassador and hands him a single cookie. "I thank you for not directly opposing the resolution, kind sir."

Before returning to her seat, Rowan shoots a final glance at Ambassador McGregor. "No cookies for you!"

Ossitania
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Ossitania » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:29 am

Eireann Fae wrote:"I will not bother going launching another conscription debate, but I will tell you, Ambassador McGregor, that the primary focus of this resolution is naught to do with the act. Certain forms of conscription are included in the spirit of this proposal, but the focus is forcing others to cause harm in any manner. That said, feel free to enslave all the populace that you care to do service and support tasks for your vile military complex. Simply do not ask them to pull any triggers, nor punish them for their refusal to do so."

With respect, ambassador, we hardly need you to tell us what your proposal does. We have been participating in the drafting process for about as long as this proposal has been on the floor. We know what it is intended to do and what it does and why. You do yourself and your nation no credit by attempting to paint mine as a war-mongering, slave-taking, freedom-hating horde. My delegation's record stands for itself and the only person who comes out looking bad from your slimy accusations is you. To think I once defended your delegation from libelous, disingenuous mud-slinging. I apologise for ever calling you and your entourage excessively principled. Clearly, in your absence from the Assembly, you finally learned how to bring yourself down to the level of others. Kudos.
Guy in the Boat,
GA #146 (Co-authored)
GA #177 (Co-authored)
GA #183(Authored)
GA #198 (Co-authored)
GA #202 (Authored)
GA #206 (Authored)
GA #212 (Co-authored)
GA #238 (Authored)
GA #240 (Authored)

Member of UNOG
Ideological Bulwark #265

Abacathea
Minister

Founded: Nov 17, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Abacathea » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:06 am

The familiar smell of Mr Chombers brand of smokes can be smelt in the chamber as the southern gentleman takes his chair and faces the esteemed delegate from Eireann Fae.

Dearest Rowan, we must admit, we do not share the delegate from Ossitania's concerns. We find they make an excellent proof reader and are usually pretty good in their noted objections, however, from our reading of the draft we see nothing that we would feel untowards. The act seems highly straightforward and we dearest one, will be voting in favour of the act once it hits the floor which we sincerely hope it does. Fret not little one, we have nothing but the utmost faith and esteem in your mission.

Exhaling a perfect smoke circle, Mr Chombers smiled weakly at the young delegate, it was obvious in his face that he was not feeling overly healthy as of late, but he winked to show his mind was still in perfect working order before sitting back in his chair and observing the chamber.
G.A #236; Renewable Energy Installations (Repealed)
G.A #239; Vehicle Emissions Convention (Repealed).
G.A #257; Reducing Automobile Emissions (Repealed).
G.A #263; Uranium Mining Standards Act
G.A #279; Right of Emigration
G.A #292; Nuclear Security Convention
(Co-Author)
G.A #363; Preservation of Artefacts (repealed)
S.C #118; Commend SkyDip
S.C #120; Commend Mousebumples
S.C #122; Condemn Gest
S.C #124; Commend Bears Armed
S.C #125; Commend The Bruce
S.C #126; Commend Sanctaria
S.C #131: Commend NewTexas
(Co-Author)
S.C #136; Repeal "Liberate St Abbaddon" (Co-Author)
S.C #143; Commend Hobbesistan
S.C #146; Repeal "Liberate Hogwarts"

Eireann Fae
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Eireann Fae » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:58 pm

Rowan blushes deeply as Epiſkœ whispers into her ear; words apparently meant for the girl alone as she doesn't relay the message to the Assembly. She opens her mouth to speak, but no words come out, and it seems for once that the girl is ashamed of herself. She breathes a sigh of relief as Sir Jon begins to speak, the redness in her cheeks receding after a few moments to her normal milky complexion. The girl smiles at Ambassador Chombers, but turns her attention back to Mr. McGregor. Unable to look the man in the eye, she focuses quite intently on one of the gold stripes that adorn his navy tie. "P-pray accept my most sincere apologies," she finally manages. "I have recently gone through a few changes and I fear they may have effected my judgement. You are correct that you have been most cordial throughout the discussion surrounding this proposal, even as you opposed the text of the law. I should not have lashed out at you in such a crude manner. Please forgive me, Sir Derek McGregor."

"Oh please, he probably deserved it!" cries a familiar voice from the entrance to the Chamber. Rowan jumped at the voice, but her demeanor brightens considerably as her long-time friend and colleague approaches the desk. The adolescent winks as she nears her young counterpart and snags one of the cookies from the tray before her.

"Alex, those are for our supporters..."

"Oh, there's plenty. Here, keep shaming yourself before that old goat and I'll pass 'em around." Rowan smiles and finally manages to look Ambassador McGregor in the eye as Alexandra looks up a list of supports and makes her rounds accordingly. The young woman passes out four dozen Faerie Cookies to the delegates from Riojasia, Tropicville, Achea and Cisalpinya, and Slow-Declinesville, and comes to a stop at the Abacathean desk.

"You must be Ambassador Chombers," the sixteen-year-old said with a smile, offering the man a cookie. "Alexandra, of Eireann Fae. Rowan has written me of you, most of it good," she winks. "Congrats on getting the REI passed, and thanks for your support of our own Assembly effort. Also," she leans in and speaks a bit lower so only Jon can hear, "word to the wise, try a vaporiser, or even a hookah. The only tobacco I like is a leaf wrapped around some Sinzœ*, but if you're gonna smoke it, you may as well make it easier on yourself..."

Rowan's certainly not going to spell it out, but yeah, those changes. That's my IC excuse for my sleep-deprivation-induced IC rudeness :)
New Rowanism: "Sir X" is a term of endearment, while "Sir X Y" is a symbol of utmost respect. In this case, she is placing McGregor on quite a pedestal :p
* Alex is referring to ʂœnöſœn-Inſinzœ, her own home-grown strain of cannabis. The name is "Aromatic Dreams" in the Faerie tongue; 'ſinzœ' would be literally translated as 'smelly'.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly