NATION

PASSWORD

Christianity and Homosexuality

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

UnhealthyTruthseeker
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 16, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby UnhealthyTruthseeker » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:42 pm

New Mitanni wrote:The Pauline passages referring to slavery can be reconciled with modern practice by recalling Christ's admonition to render unto Caesar that which is Caesar's. The law at the time of Paul allowed slavery. If the law changes, then the status of slavery changes. Which is presently the case. Paul never states that slavery per se is good or that the Church finds slavery to be a required social institution.

The homosexual lifestyle choice, in contrast, is not an institution comparable to slavery, but a perversion of the natural order that no law can rectify.

Nothing that can be explained or understood logically can possibly be a perversion of nature. You know what is unnatural, though? Your god. So, if your god is good, then it must not be bad to be unnatural. That being said, there's no way that homosexuality can be unnatural because it is based upon logically explicable foundations.
A little homework for you!

What part of L(f(t)) = Int(exp(-s*t)*f(t),t,0,inf) don't you understand?

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Founded: Nov 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:43 pm

UnhealthyTruthseeker wrote:
Dyakovo wrote:Didn't you know that if the catholic church accepts homosexuality then everyone will become a homosexual?

Oh I forgot about that scientifically proven idea. How does gays getting married affect other marriages?

Yes, I know you're being sarcastic, but I want to see your answer to this.

Easy...
If gay marriage is allowed then everyone will want one (remember everyone will become gay if it's accepted)
Don't take life so serious... It isn't permanent...
Freedom from religion is an integral part of Freedom of religion
Married to Koshka
USMC veteran MOS 0331/8152
Grave_n_Idle: Maybe that's why the bible is so anti-other-gods, the other gods do exist, but they diss on Jehovah all the time for his shitty work.
Ifreann: Odds are you're secretly a zebra with a very special keyboard.
Ostro: I think women need to be trained
Margno, Llamalandia, Tarsonis Survivors, Bachmann's America, Internationalist Bastard B'awwwww! You're mean!

UnhealthyTruthseeker
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby UnhealthyTruthseeker » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:43 pm

Dyakovo wrote:Easy...
If gay marriage is allowed then everyone will want one (remember everyone will become gay if it's accepted)

Doh! How silly of me.

Flameswroth
Senator

Founded: Sep 05, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Flameswroth » Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:14 pm

Dyakovo wrote:Didn't you know that if the catholic church accepts homosexuality then everyone will become a homosexual?

Oh I forgot about that scientifically proven idea. How does gays getting married affect other marriages?

Yes, I know you're being sarcastic, but I want to see your answer to this.

The Marriage Omnicomplex

It's a divine, powerful network created by God. When you're married in an approved, holy marriage, your souls are entwined into the nexus of loving power. It gives you a modicum of God's infinite love and, in turn, your own union helps to power that matrix of affection. But in the unholy abomination of gay marriage, your connection to the grid is corrupted. It draws only energy from the grid, it does not help to power it. As gay marriages increase, the available power in sapped by these leeching influences, reducing the grid's ability to help couples feel the love of God in their lives.

If you were to make homosexual unions more commonplace, you add a greater burden to the Marriage Omnicomplex, reducing the love and divine oneness that the truly good couples feel.

I wonder if I can start a religion based on this premise...
Last edited by Flameswroth on Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Czardas wrote:Why should we bail out climate change with billions of dollars, when lesbians are starving in the streets because they can't afford an abortion?

Reagan Clone wrote:What you are proposing is glorifying God by loving, respecting, or at least tolerating, his other creations.

That is the gayest fucking shit I've ever heard, and I had Barry Manilow perform at the White House in '82.

Blouman Empire
Post Marshal

Founded: Sep 05, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Blouman Empire » Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:57 pm

UnhealthyTruthseeker wrote:Nothing that can be explained or understood logically can possibly be a perversion of nature. You know what is unnatural, though? Your god. So, if your god is good, then it must not be bad to be unnatural. That being said, there's no way that homosexuality can be unnatural because it is based upon logically explicable foundations.

Apart from your little attack on god, it is stupid to argue about wether homosexuality is unnatural or natural, because quite frankly it matters naught and is a fallacy to push either as an argument for or against.
You know you've made it on NSG when you have a whole thread created around what you said.
On the American/United Statesian matter "I'd suggest Americans go to their nation settings and change their nation prefix to something cooler." - The Kangaroo Republic
http://nswiki.net/index.php?title=Blouman_Empire

DBC26-Winner

UnhealthyTruthseeker
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby UnhealthyTruthseeker » Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:59 pm

Blouman Empire wrote:Apart from your little attack on god, it is stupid to argue about wether homosexuality is unnatural or natural, because quite frankly it matters naught and is a fallacy to push either as an argument for or against.

I wasn't attacking god. The god of Christianity is, by definition, outside of logic and nature, for the essence of this god is self-contradictory. Such a god is unnatural. If such a god is good, then it is clear that unnatural =/= bad.

Blouman Empire
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Blouman Empire » Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:05 pm

Blouman Empire wrote:Apart from your little attack on god, it is stupid to argue about wether homosexuality is unnatural or natural, because quite frankly it matters naught and is a fallacy to push either as an argument for or against.

I wasn't attacking god. The god of Christianity is, by definition, outside of logic and nature, for the essence of this god is self-contradictory. Such a god is unnatural. If such a god is good, then it is clear that unnatural =/= bad.

Yeah you were and as I say you can't say because something is unnatural or natural whether that makes it good or bad.
You know you've made it on NSG when you have a whole thread created around what you said.
On the American/United Statesian matter "I'd suggest Americans go to their nation settings and change their nation prefix to something cooler." - The Kangaroo Republic

DBC26-Winner

UnhealthyTruthseeker
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby UnhealthyTruthseeker » Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:06 pm

Blouman Empire wrote:Yeah you were and as I say you can't say because something is unnatural or natural whether that makes it good or bad.

I fail to see how we disagree.

New Kereptica
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 14, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby New Kereptica » Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:09 pm

Blouman Empire wrote:

Yeah you were and as I say you can't say because something is unnatural or natural whether that makes it good or bad.

Pointing out that your god is irrational != an attack thereon.
Blouman Empire wrote:Natural is not nature.

KiloMikeAlpha wrote:Umm hmm.... mind if I siggy that as a reminder to those who think that it is cool to shove their bat-shit crazy atheist beliefs on those of us who actually have a clue?

Teccor wrote:You're actually arguing with Kereptica? It's like arguing with a far-Left, militantly atheist brick wall.

Bluth Corporation wrote:No. A free market literally has zero bubbles.

JJ Place wrote:I have a few more pressing matters to attend to right now; I'll be back later this evening to continue my one-man against the world struggle.

Mercator Terra wrote: Mental illness is a myth.

UnhealthyTruthseeker
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby UnhealthyTruthseeker » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:55 pm

Bump because I want NM to answer my questions.

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Founded: Nov 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:33 pm

UnhealthyTruthseeker wrote:Bump because I want NM to answer my questions.

:rofl:
Don't take life so serious... It isn't permanent...
Freedom from religion is an integral part of Freedom of religion
Married to Koshka
USMC veteran MOS 0331/8152
Grave_n_Idle: Maybe that's why the bible is so anti-other-gods, the other gods do exist, but they diss on Jehovah all the time for his shitty work.
Ifreann: Odds are you're secretly a zebra with a very special keyboard.
Ostro: I think women need to be trained
Margno, Llamalandia, Tarsonis Survivors, Bachmann's America, Internationalist Bastard B'awwwww! You're mean!

Blouman Empire
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Blouman Empire » Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:21 pm

Blouman Empire wrote:Yeah you were and as I say you can't say because something is unnatural or natural whether that makes it good or bad.

I fail to see how we disagree.

I don't think we do but I am just pointing out that it is poor form to argue for or against something in regards to if it is natural or not. I do the same to people who argue against SSM.

DBC26-Winner

UnhealthyTruthseeker
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby UnhealthyTruthseeker » Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:15 pm

Dyakovo wrote: :rofl:

I take it it's funny because he historically does not answer direct questions? Also:

Ascon
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 02, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Ascon » Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:48 am

New Kereptica wrote:Pointing out that your god is irrational != an attack thereon.

Except that it is. Try and see it from the other side. Irrational is a word that always carries some kind of negative connotation (except in math. Say "i" everyone!) so when you apply it to somebody's belief system that's a defacto insult regardless of intent, and you'd be hard pressed to convince someone that your intent isn't to insult in the first place when you choose a word like "irrational" to apply to something as deeply personal as their chosen deity.
"If you want a symbolic gesture, don't burn the flag, wash it."
-Norman Thomas

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 23, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:50 am

Ascon wrote:
New Kereptica wrote:Pointing out that your god is irrational != an attack thereon.

Except that it is. Try and see it from the other side. Irrational is a word that always carries some kind of negative connotation (except in math. Say "i" everyone!) so when you apply it to somebody's belief system that's a defacto insult regardless of intent, and you'd be hard pressed to convince someone that your intent isn't to insult in the first place when you choose a word like "irrational" to apply to something as deeply personal as their chosen deity.

Can you suggest an alternative word that fits ?
Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
- Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

Ascon
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Ascon » Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:58 am

The Alma Mater wrote:Can you suggest an alternative word that fits ?

Maybe an alternative phrasing. The point isn't so much to sugar coat it, but to make it clear that attack isn't the intent. For instance, I'm not a Hindu. I regard the idea of having a literal manifestation of a deity in a shrine in someone's home to be outside of what I understand to be useful religion. You could call it irrational, I suppose, but here's the thing: Hindu people are quite well aware of how their beliefs are seen by those of monotheistic faiths. They don't need to be told that, any more than a Christian has some sort of deficit in their knowledge that you're fixing by telling them their God is, in your view, irrational.

So if you find yourself in a position where you absolutely must point this out, for whatever reason, then would it be so hard to say "Well you probably already know I find the idea of god irrational?" After all, that started when someone suggested that the Christian God is self-contradictory. Christians certainly don't see it that way, so you're not going to build any bridges by suggesting that somehow God being irrational is an agreed upon premise. If anything, a person making such a claim would be regarded by Christians a someone who's betrayed a deficit in their own understanding of what God is.

To phrase the statement to make it sound more like an opinion is not only more reasonable but it gives both sides room to breathe.
Last edited by Ascon on Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Norman Thomas

The Zodi Identity
Attaché

Founded: Nov 19, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Zodi Identity » Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:31 am

The concept of unnatural is quit insentient.

Black holes are natural. Volcanoes are natural. Earthworms are natural.

All exist within our physical observable universe.

Homosexual animals exist in our physical observable universe. These are animals ruled by instinct.

Thus homosexuality is entirely natural.

Abasing ourselves before a structure dedicated to an unobservable entity (God in its many facets) does not occur in nature or any other field outside of human interaction.

(In character)
Thus religion in general must be deemed to be 'unnatural' by those sentient individuals of The Zodi Identity.

The marginals believe in the most insane folktales. Ignore the marginals.

Ascon
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Ascon » Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:44 am

The Zodi Identity wrote:The concept of unnatural is quit insentient.

Black holes are natural. Volcanoes are natural. Earthworms are natural.

All exist within our physical observable universe.

Homosexual animals exist in our physical observable universe. These are animals ruled by instinct.

Thus homosexuality is entirely natural.

I think you're making a leap here, as you seem to be suggesting that *any* activity engaged in by animals is necessarily natural for human beings. This line of reasoning only works if you're also willing to call incest, murder, infanticide, war, etc. natural for humans as well.

The Zodi Identity wrote:Abasing ourselves before a structure dedicated to an unobservable entity (God in its many facets) does not occur in nature or any other field outside of human interaction.

This, again, assumes that what's natural for animals is necessarily what's natural for humans AND vice versa. You seem to be following the idea that as long as at least two species engage in a given activity, it is therefore normal. (Ex:Humans building dams is natural because beavers also build dams, but humans building spacecraft is not because no animal species is known to do so.) This makes me wonder: This being the case, would it be unnatural for humans to build dams if, for whatever reason, beavers became extinct? If so then the definition of natural becomes entirely useless and arbitrary.

This strikes me as a VERY simplistic approach to the question as well as being quite beside the point when you consider how this relates to Christianity, since one of the tenets of Christian philosophy is that to deny the natural man is to attain spiritual enlightenment. In other words, spiritual purification occurs when the body's urges are controlled and mastered. (This is why Christians fast.)

So even if you were to prove that homosexual behavior is natural among humans, it would be entirely irrelevant to Christian philosophy.
-Norman Thomas

Kobrania
Minister

Founded: May 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Kobrania » Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:46 am

And circumcision is natural? :eyebrow:
"Only when you acknowledge that your country has done evil and ignore it will you be a patriot." -TJ.

ZIONISM = JUSTIFYING GENOCIDE WITH GOD.

Kobrania, the anti-KMA.

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 23, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:51 am

Ascon wrote:I think you're making a leap here, as you seem to be suggesting that *any* activity engaged in by animals is necessarily natural for human beings. This line of reasoning only works if you're also willing to call incest, murder, infanticide, war, etc. natural for humans as well.

They are. As are generosity, selfsacrifice, love etc.
Natural does not imply good or bad. It does, of course, imply that God "made it that way" if you are a believer.

This, again, assumes that what's natural for animals is necessarily what's natural for humans AND vice versa. You seem to be following the idea that as long as at least two species engage in a given activity, it is therefore normal

Normal and natural are two different things.
In addition, normal and abnormal again do not imply good or bad. Being a genius is abnormal. Being a millionaire is abnormal.
Last edited by The Alma Mater on Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
- Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

The Zodi Identity
Attaché

Founded: Nov 19, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Zodi Identity » Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:56 am

Ascon said:

"So even if you were to prove that homosexual behavior is natural among humans, it would be entirely irrelevant to Christian philosophy."

Correct. Christian and all religious philosophy is ruled by the acceptance of human beings of its relevance.

The question I explored in your quote was the term 'Natural'
An adjective denoting: "Existing or caused by nature. Not caused by man" - Encyclopaedia Britannica.

Thus as an adherent to a religion any person is entitled to believe within their dogma just as I am entitled to believe that dogma did not bring the universe into being.

This is not an attack on religion or a defence of homosexulaity but a containment of the terms used by those that debate on these fora.
Last edited by The Zodi Identity on Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

Ascon
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Ascon » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:07 am

Kobrania wrote:And circumcision is natural? :eyebrow:

Relevance, if you please? :)

The Alma Mater wrote:They are. As are generosity, selfsacrifice, love etc.
Natural does not imply good or bad. It does, of course, imply that God "made it that way" if you are a believer.

Points awarded for consistency to The Alma Mater.

So my question, then, is why is "naturalness" even relevant, since as a human society we don't use it as a basis for determining right vs. wrong. In other words, if we concede that infanticide is "natural" because we observe animals doing it in the wild, that doens't in any way make it more acceptible to kill a baby in human culture. That being the case, why would a Christian care about whether homosexuality was natural or not?

The Alma Mater wrote:Normal and natural are two different things.
In addition, normal and abnormal again do not imply good or bad. Being a genius is abnormal. Being a millionaire is abnormal.

I meant to say "natural" at the end there. It wasn't my intent to bring "normal" into the discussion. :)
Last edited by Ascon on Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Norman Thomas

UnhealthyTruthseeker
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby UnhealthyTruthseeker » Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:29 pm

Humans exist in nature, and humans are part of nature, therefore everything humans are, do, and create is natural.

Ascon
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Ascon » Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:30 pm

UnhealthyTruthseeker wrote:Humans exist in nature, and humans are part of nature, therefore everything humans are, do, and create is natural.

Kinda makes the word meaningless, doesn't it? I mean, if that's the definition, is anything unnatural?
-Norman Thomas

Tokos
Senator

Founded: Oct 28, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Tokos » Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:31 pm

Ascon wrote:
UnhealthyTruthseeker wrote:Humans exist in nature, and humans are part of nature, therefore everything humans are, do, and create is natural.

Kinda makes the word meaningless, doesn't it? I mean, if that's the definition, is anything unnatural?
The word could still have meaning in juxtaposition with the supernatural.
The Confederal Fasces of Tokos

Economic Left/Right: -6.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.05

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General