NATION

PASSWORD

Argument Thread OOC Future Tech Only

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]
Balrogga
Minister

Founded: Apr 16, 2004
Iron Fist Consumerists

Argument Thread OOC Future Tech Only

Postby Balrogga » Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:08 am

I made this Thread to contain arguments about ship size, nation size, and other FT arguments that frequently pop up in threads, disrupting the RP.

Anyone who wants to use this to move a hyjack out of their thread are welcome and invited to do just that. Just remember, as the OP, I have the right to tell someone abusive to move on because these debates get heated at times (the JOLT Thread did) and I would rather not bring in Moderation if we can work things out ourselves. No trolling or flaming allowed.

Now, let us get onto business.
The Fallen Empire of Balrogga

Intergalactic Trade Hub Thread - Founder / Argument Thread / Advice Thread / DoGA Resource site / ESUS Alliance / The Bloody Hand / Ta'Nar Rumor Thread
Not because it wishes harm, but because it likes violent vibrations to change constantly
Horror – the true horror that paralyzes the mind and scars it with nightmares – is never truly healed.
I had to read that post a couple times to make sure there was not something brilliant burried under all that stupidity...
The quiet foe is the one you need to pay heed, not the loudmouth attracting all the attention.

Ordering lunch

Terraius
Minister

Founded: Oct 26, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Terraius » Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:26 am

Interesting. Didnt 1,000 pages used to be the limit? Now Im seeing threads anywhere from 400-600 getting capped and unable to post.
The Archregimancy wrote:Terraius is also a Catholic heretic personally responsible for the Fourth Crusade.
Lupelia wrote:Terraius: best Byzantine nation for weather.
Yeah I really like planet consuming Warp storms myself.

A Nationstates-II FT Roleplay

Heirosoloa
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 21, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Heirosoloa » Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:29 am

I believe they lowered it some time ago to keep the forums running smoothly.

Kreanoltha
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 25, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Kreanoltha » Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:49 am

Heirosoloa wrote:I believe they lowered it some time ago to keep the forums running smoothly.

That is correct. </notamod>
I'M BACK!!!

"The size of ones internet spaceboats are inversely proportional to the size of ones penis."

FT only.
#NSLegion. For all your NS-FT RPing needs.

New Amerik
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 08, 2010
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby New Amerik » Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:22 pm

Kreanoltha wrote:
Heirosoloa wrote:I believe they lowered it some time ago to keep the forums running smoothly.

I believe its somewhere along the line of 500 pages or so, with most of the threads doing so being in Arts, General, or F7. I must admit, never even thought about the idea that the OOC FT thread would one day have to be locked and a new one made.
The Basics of New Amerik
Factbook | Portfolio | Resurrection Offered (Storefront) | Embassy
Founder of the ROUS
*NALOW 5 = Open Peace
NALOW 4 =
NALOW 3 = Defensive Actions
NALOW 2 = Open War
NALOW 1 = Total War
NALOW 0 = Blackout

Kreanoltha
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 25, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Kreanoltha » Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:25 pm

New Amerik wrote:
Kreanoltha wrote:

I believe its somewhere along the line of 500 pages or so, with most of the threads doing so being in Arts, General, or F7. I must admit, never even thought about the idea that the OOC FT thread would one day have to be locked and a new one made.

It was quite a pleasant surprise. This entity of a thread has been quite helpful to me.
I'M BACK!!!

"The size of ones internet spaceboats are inversely proportional to the size of ones penis."

FT only.
#NSLegion. For all your NS-FT RPing needs.

Euroslavia
Retired Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Euroslavia » Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:25 pm

New Amerik wrote:
Kreanoltha wrote:

Correct. II was overlooked in that aspect, but we'll keep a better eye on it.
BRAVE ENOUGH

BRAVE ENOUGH

BRAVE ENOUGH

Ularn
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 23, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Ularn » Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:08 pm

Euroslavia wrote:
New Amerik wrote:

Correct. II was overlooked in that aspect, but we'll keep a better eye on it.

So no more keeping our lengthy thread open on the sly? Gutted! :P
ULARN INTERSTELLAR FEDERATION
Many Worlds; One Ring!
FACTBOOK | Q&A | EMBASSIES & FOREIGN OFFICE | #NSFT | #NSLegion | TRIPLICATE DEFENCE INDUSTRIES
P2tM
Broken World: Beastmasters | Of Zombies and Men
Jesus was a carpenter, so really I'm the one doing God's work - all anyone else cares about is what he got up to on the dole!

OMGeverynameistaken
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 24, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby OMGeverynameistaken » Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:10 pm

Ularn wrote:
Euroslavia wrote:Correct. II was overlooked in that aspect, but we'll keep a better eye on it.

So no more keeping our lengthy thread open on the sly? Gutted! :P

You there!
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=191189

Avenio's got a post up! Present to me your aliens!

Other people are welcome to send delegates as well, of course. Just post in the OOC thread and arrangements will be made.
I AM DISAPPOINTED

Strykla
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 30, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Strykla » Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:11 pm

Well, we're all here now, so I'll have the honor of asking the first question:

Does a caesium/water reaction have the potential to dramatically change the course of a supercarrier-sized vessel in space?
Lord Justice Clerk of the Classical Royalist Party, NSG Senate. Hail, Companion!

Vocenae
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 19, 2006
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Vocenae » Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:12 pm

Well, time for a drink to salute the old.

Not like the last two hundred pages of it didn't kill enough braincells.

On with the new!

Mechs vs Tanks witch iz beter guise.
The Imperial Star Republic
18:34 <Kyrusia> Voc: The one anchor of moral conscience in a sea of turbulent depravity.

Ularn
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Ularn » Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:17 pm

OMGeverynameistaken wrote:
Ularn wrote:So no more keeping our lengthy thread open on the sly? Gutted! :P

You there!
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=191189

Avenio's got a post up! Present to me your aliens!

Other people are welcome to send delegates as well, of course. Just post in the OOC thread and arrangements will be made.

Oops! Forgot about that. I'll try and get a post up this weekend

Vocenae wrote:Well, time for a drink to salute the old.

Not like the last two hundred pages of it didn't kill enough braincells.

Should old acquaintance be forgot, and never brought to mind? :P

Strykla wrote:Well, we're all here now, so I'll have the honor of asking the first question:

Does a caesium/water reaction have the potential to dramatically change the course of a supercarrier-sized vessel in space?

I think you'd need so much water ans casium that the extra mass just wouldn't be worth it. Assuming this is still a question of your backup drive system, I'd honestly just go for having multiples of whatever drive you use presently. For example, if you currently have a single phlebotnium drive capable of producing 100 Whatsits of thrust, then replace it with four smaller drives delivering 25 Whatsits. That way, even if one drive fails then you can still travel at 75% of your total power.
Many Worlds; One Ring!
FACTBOOK | Q&A | EMBASSIES & FOREIGN OFFICE | #NSFT | #NSLegion | TRIPLICATE DEFENCE INDUSTRIES
P2tM
Jesus was a carpenter, so really I'm the one doing God's work - all anyone else cares about is what he got up to on the dole!

Bajireyn
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 27, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Bajireyn » Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:22 pm

So,which would make a better armored vehicle (60 ton modular tank series in this case) powerplant,a microfusion generator or some sort of hydrogen-electric device?
Right behind you...: UDL

Strykla
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Strykla » Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:36 pm

Ularn wrote:
Strykla wrote:Well, we're all here now, so I'll have the honor of asking the first question:

I think you'd need so much water ans casium that the extra mass just wouldn't be worth it. Assuming this is still a question of your backup drive system, I'd honestly just go for having multiples of whatever drive you use presently. For example, if you currently have a single phlebotnium drive capable of producing 100 Whatsits of thrust, then replace it with four smaller drives delivering 25 Whatsits. That way, even if one drive fails then you can still travel at 75% of your total power.

Actually, its an emergency thruster system: I'm using a VASIMR for the normal engine. The caesium/water reaction would just blast the ship onto a new course.
Lord Justice Clerk of the Classical Royalist Party, NSG Senate. Hail, Companion!

Zebian Syndicate
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 07, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Zebian Syndicate » Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:38 pm

Tag'n the new with a GPS tracker!

Man, this sure feels weird. To think, some time in the future some newbie might look back at these posts looking for information on their own tech!

Bajireyn wrote:So,which would make a better armored vehicle (60 ton modular tank series in this case) powerplant,a microfusion generator or some sort of hydrogen-electric device?

Lol whut? You're asking this question,....... why? I seriously doubt that even with future technologies that hydrogen power would be able to support a battle tank of even a low class considering all they systems and mechanisms to keep the thing functioning, let alon run the engine or manage to sustain it during combat.

Now, specs! What kind of engine does this thing got in it, as in how much power does this thing eat and how much force does it put out? Computers and other fancy electronics might also be nice benchmarks to know about, for instance, EW devices, trackers and targeters, communications, etc etc. Armament also effects power drain, after all, you usually have to rotate a big and heavy ass turret in most tanks, since that's pretty much the universal image of them.
The "Crazy Mafia esque rebel government"
Member of Battle Critters!
G-Tech Corporation wrote:
Zebian Syndicate wrote:Hooray, new blood! Welcome to the wonderful (not at ALL) universe (bajillion convoluted dimensions) of NS FT! (massive tech wankers)

Hey now, at least when we wank its beautiful stellar jizz that shines in the rainbow light of the nebulae of the multiverse.
NS FT. Period.

Ularn
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Ularn » Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:52 pm

Strykla wrote:
Ularn wrote:

Actually, its an emergency thruster system: I'm using a VASIMR for the normal engine. The caesium/water reaction would just blast the ship onto a new course.

Yeah, but I'm saying that rather than having a mass-expensive emergency thruster, you'd be better off with replacing your single thruster with several smaller ones so that you have redundancy. You don't suffer the mass penalty of lugging a big block of caesium and tons of water around, and one hit to the engines still won't cripple your ship.
Many Worlds; One Ring!
P2tM

Strykla
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Strykla » Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:08 pm

Ularn wrote:
Strykla wrote:Actually, its an emergency thruster system: I'm using a VASIMR for the normal engine. The caesium/water reaction would just blast the ship onto a new course.

Yeah, but I'm saying that rather than having a mass-expensive emergency thruster, you'd be better off with replacing your single thruster with several smaller ones so that you have redundancy. You don't suffer the mass penalty of lugging a big block of caesium and tons of water around, and one hit to the engines still won't cripple your ship.

Okay.... What about a modified APCP? I need a high Isp and low burn time, really.

Heliocalypse
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 11, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Heliocalypse » Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:09 pm

APCP..that's old stoff nao D:< i do some MT propellant research and yes, APCP is now a few ladders down in the face of new energetic rocket propellants.

FT is the realm of fancy energetic materials (or limited to your imagination), why not trying to drop a bomb on the side of your ship, and hopefully your ship survive to ride the blast? 8)
Last edited by Heliocalypse on Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Forged from Weapons, United by Diplomacy
A FT nation. I r electron D:<

Misc Links : - Dangerous Species Index[FT] Dangerous Species Index[FT] Application Thread Shields & Swords of Principality
RPs : - The Arrival (Intro) , Trouble In Paradise
<Vernii>Helio how does your nation even work, lol
<Vernii>seems like its full of crazies

So much true. A dash of insanity, a puff of recklessness with a tinge hint of zesty lime flavor my nation.
The State of the Galaxy

Vocenae
Ambassador

Postby Vocenae » Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:18 pm

Also I think that this would be a good time to recommend Space Engine to everyone.

It's a sandbox 'game' that, while still pretty Alpha, it generates the ENTIRE UNIVERSE with random stars and planets, so if you want to break away from having to use established sci-fi franchise planets or use planetary art from, say, DeviantArt, you can now wander out into the universe and find a planet that you feel fits your nation perfectly. All you have to do is take a screenshot from orbit, and if you feel like getting some geographical shots, just land on the planet's surface and wander around. Or you can grab a spaceship and cruise around, though the controls for those are pretty rough at the moment.

http://en.spaceengine.org/

While crashy and you do kinda need a PC with some muscle to run it well, I've found it to be an invaluable resource for nation building. It seems to be easily moddable, so those of us that make our own ships can even use that to not only create good images for factbooks, but general artsy scenes as well for sprucing up posts (although you should rely more on your words to do the scene setting for you).
Last edited by Vocenae on Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
18:34 <Kyrusia> Voc: The one anchor of moral conscience in a sea of turbulent depravity.

OMGeverynameistaken
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 24, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby OMGeverynameistaken » Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:22 pm

Vocenae wrote:Also I think that this would be a good time to recommend Space Engine to everyone.

It's a sandbox 'game' that, while still pretty Alpha, it generates the ENTIRE UNIVERSE with random stars and planets, so if you want to break away from having to use established sci-fi franchise planets or use planetary art from, say, DeviantArt, you can now wander out into the universe and find a planet that you feel fits your nation perfectly. All you have to do is take a screenshot from orbit, and if you feel like getting some geographical shots, just land on the planet's surface and wander around. Or you can grab a spaceship and cruise around, though the controls for those are pretty rough at the moment.

While crashy and you do kinda need a PC with some muscle to run it well, I've found it to be an invaluable resource for nation building. It seems to be easily moddable, so those of us that make our own ships can even use that to not only create good images for factbooks, but general artsy scenes as well for sprucing up posts (although you should rely more on your words to do the scene setting for you).

Oh man, a spiritual successor to Noctis? About time, dammit.
I AM DISAPPOINTED

Ularn
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Ularn » Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:23 pm

Vocenae wrote:Also I think that this would be a good time to recommend Space Engine to everyone.

Since I'm running on a three-year-old netbook I'm probably going to regret saying this but, "That looks interesting and I think I'll look into it,"
Many Worlds; One Ring!
P2tM

Rethan
Minister

Founded: Aug 09, 2006
Corporate Police State

Postby Rethan » Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:25 pm

I can also recommend this, since I've played with Space Engine. Never thought about using it for NS though, that's genius.
As Was Devoured Shall Devour | As Was Buried Shall Bury

Vocenae
Ambassador

Postby Vocenae » Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:35 pm

Where have all you people been when I've been talking about it on the IRC D:<

There's also a travel log and the ability to favorite planets you like (along with easter egg planets like Pandora and Polyphemus from Avatar) so you can always go back to them from anywhere in the universe.

Also, with older computers I just recommend that you take it slow, and when around planet just let everything load before you start moving around because it'll crash if you push the program too hard. My advice would be that once you find a planet you like, set the time option to where the planet rotates at a decent speed (if your PC can handle that). That'll help the entire planet mesh generate before you start taking pictures and honestly one long loading session is better than frequent ones.

Also try not to go INSIDE planets and stars, because those will cause crashes. Going into a Black Hole is also crashy, but I suppose that's to be expected.

It's a good program, but like I said, still in development and kinda fragile, so just be patient with it.
Last edited by Vocenae on Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Ularn
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Ularn » Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:51 pm

Vocenae wrote:Where have all you people been when I've been talking about it on the IRC D:<

Not on the IRC :P
Last edited by Ularn on Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Many Worlds; One Ring!
P2tM

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents