NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] Liberate Christmas

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Skyrim Diplomacy
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 25, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Skyrim Diplomacy » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:36 pm

Shemiki wrote:I'd love to know their opinions. I value their opinions. However, until they make their opinions known, I can't argue for them, and therefore can't balance them with the nations who HAVE spoken their opinion. Trust me, if it turns out the majority of natives want this refound, I'll vote against the lib. Until then, most natives say FOR, and so I vote FOR.

That, however, brings this debate full circle. If only 20% of your region wanted to be raided (for some reason) and the other 80% were silent, would you be in favor of being raided? Simply basing your vote on the voiced opinions is a poor line of logic for SC Liberations. You need to look at the deeper motives here. This region will be safer with a founder. The current natives have nothing to lose (inb4natsovargument) from being inactive as they are now in a new region.

Shemiki
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 08, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Shemiki » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:40 pm

Skyrim Diplomacy wrote:
Shemiki wrote:I'd love to know their opinions. I value their opinions. However, until they make their opinions known, I can't argue for them, and therefore can't balance them with the nations who HAVE spoken their opinion. Trust me, if it turns out the majority of natives want this refound, I'll vote against the lib. Until then, most natives say FOR, and so I vote FOR.

That, however, brings this debate full circle. If only 20% of your region wanted to be raided (for some reason) and the other 80% were silent, would you be in favor of being raided? Simply basing your vote on the voiced opinions is a poor line of logic for SC Liberations. You need to look at the deeper motives here. This region will be safer with a founder. The current natives have nothing to lose (inb4natsovargument) from being inactive as they are now in a new region.

For your question about the 10000 Islands (my region), no, because I am a native as well and could express my own opinion. However, if natives of other regions don't want to be raided, I generally don't want that region to be raided. Because the way I see it, those natives know what's best for their region a lot better than Asgard ever could. Perhaps they do prefer having no founder? They can't make their own decisions, not Asgard.

Ambroscus Koth
Ambassador

Founded: May 06, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Ambroscus Koth » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:41 pm

☀ Pharaoh Emeritus of Osiris (x2) ☀
Lieutenant of The Black Hawks | Sovereign General of the DEN
♥ Drunk married to Aurum Rider | Author of SC#172

Miniluv: Stability is Stagnation!

Shemiki
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Shemiki » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:43 pm

Bundabunda
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 14, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Bundabunda » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:44 pm

So your percentage theory may or may not work here.
I speak for myself and myself only.

Ambroscus Koth
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Ambroscus Koth » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:44 pm

I figured you guys who were discussing percentages like it was your job may have wanted to know.

Skyrim Diplomacy
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Skyrim Diplomacy » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:44 pm

Shemiki wrote:For your question about the 10000 Islands (my region), no, because I am a native as well and could express my own opinion. However, if natives of other regions don't want to be raided, I generally don't want that region to be raided. Because the way I see it, those natives know what's best for their region a lot better than Asgard ever could. Perhaps they do prefer having no founder? They can't make their own decisions, not Asgard.

Now your argument is they prefer to have no founder?! :blink: What happened to Asgard being unsafe, and this Liberation allowing the defenders, those who truly know what is best for the region (lol), to come in and "save" the defenseless natives? Now you are just turning this entire argument upside down and side-stepping my points. You argue Asgard is bad for the region, but think they are more safe without a founder?

Shemiki
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Shemiki » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:45 pm

Alright then...thanks...I think...

Shemiki
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Shemiki » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:47 pm

Skyrim Diplomacy wrote:
Shemiki wrote:For your question about the 10000 Islands (my region), no, because I am a native as well and could express my own opinion. However, if natives of other regions don't want to be raided, I generally don't want that region to be raided. Because the way I see it, those natives know what's best for their region a lot better than Asgard ever could. Perhaps they do prefer having no founder? They can't make their own decisions, not Asgard.

Now your argument is they prefer to have no founder?! :blink: What happened to Asgard being unsafe, and this Liberation allowing the defenders, those who truly know what is best for the region (lol), to come in and "save" the defenseless natives? Now you are just turning this entire argument upside down and side-stepping my points. You argue Asgard is bad for the region, but think they are more safe without a founder?

I'm saying the natives don't want Asgard in the region, and its not their place, your place, or anyone else's place to tell them they do. Respect the natives and get out (to Asgard, not you).

Skyrim Diplomacy
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Skyrim Diplomacy » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:49 pm

Shemiki wrote:I'm saying the natives don't want Asgard in the region, and its not their place, your place, or anyone else's place to tell them they do. Respect the natives and get out (to Asgard, not you).

All two of them. Out of ten or so. This argument keeps coming back, so maybe I will sit back for a while until the whole "Some of the natives dislike the idea of a refound" stops coming up...

Drop Your Pants
Senator

Founded: Apr 17, 2005
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Drop Your Pants » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:09 pm

Skyrim Diplomacy wrote:
Shemiki wrote:I'm saying the natives don't want Asgard in the region, and its not their place, your place, or anyone else's place to tell them they do. Respect the natives and get out (to Asgard, not you).

All two of them. Out of ten or so. This argument keeps coming back, so maybe I will sit back for a while until the whole "Some of the natives dislike the idea of a refound" stops coming up...

If it was your region and you were the sole person who spoke out against a refound by a foreign power would you like people to care about your opinion? Or would you like them to ignore you because there's not enough of you?

It doesn't mater if its 2 or 10, they don't want to be kicked out of their region by people trying to "help" them.
Happily oblivious to NS Drama and I rarely pay attention beyond 5 minutes

Ambroscus Koth
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Ambroscus Koth » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:23 pm

Drop Your Pants wrote:If it was your region and you were the sole person who spoke out against a refound by a foreign power would you like people to care about your opinion? Or would you like them to ignore you because there's not enough of you?

It doesn't mater if its 2 or 10, they don't want to be kicked out of their region by people trying to "help" them.

I'd probably realize I don't speak for the whole region.

United States of Natan
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 21, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby United States of Natan » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:45 pm

why cant you just accept the fact that they should not be taken over?
Then it's a lie. Everything Fox News says is a lie.
Even true things once said on Fox News become lies.
(Family Guy: Excellence in Broadcasting)

Come check out the Natan Region, a fun, democratic region|Biden/Harris 2020|
Liberal|Progressive|Hillary Supporter|Jew|Pro-Israel|Anti-Trump|Anti-Sanders|Anti-Bigotry

Skyrim Diplomacy
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Skyrim Diplomacy » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:52 pm

United States of Natan wrote:why cant you just accept the fact that they should not be taken over?

Since when is that a fact, not an opinion?

Mahaj
Senator

Founded: Dec 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Mahaj » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:02 pm

Ambroscus Koth wrote:
Drop Your Pants wrote:If it was your region and you were the sole person who spoke out against a refound by a foreign power would you like people to care about your opinion? Or would you like them to ignore you because there's not enough of you?

I'd probably realize I don't speak for the whole region.

So your opinion doesn't matter?

Since you're not the only person in NationStates, can I conclude that your opinion on *anything* is absolutely irrelevant and worthless?

Skyrim Diplomacy wrote:
Mahaj wrote:Argument 1. No natives have supported. I never asked for native support
Argument 2. Only one native supported. I still never asked for native support, and I still hold that the one native was goaded into replying.
Argument 3. Only two natives supported. Have I asked for native support yet? *crickets* Nope. 1/5 of the natives is not a useable argument.
Please stop making this argument.

When you get a substantial amount of natives (let's say 50+%), I'll stop. And yet...oh, there's my point about the natives not being hurt by a refound, addressed waaaaaay down there....

I'm not going to follow your various demands because they never cease and they don't matter. And while you may not have asked, other supporters have, so this was addressed moreso at them.

Your point about the natives not being hurt is insanely silly.

Mahaj wrote:Because the UDL plan isn't "lets hostilely refound this and build a culture in it... we admit we've never done this before and we don't have details finalized because we really don't know what we're doing but oh god please god oh god please trust us that our intentions are noble just ignore all our raids and griefs and the fact that only griefers supported us oh god please god no no no please you must trust us"

That's why. But I expect that comment from you, so w/e.

That still didn't answer my point, drat. All this post does is personify Asgard and their supporters in a light that you dislike. :( Allow me shrink that post down: "Let's take over a region, even though we are inexperienced and only have raider support."

That sounds more accurate. The UDL is the exact same way, just switch out griefers with "pretentious mightier-than-thous." How is it hostile to refound a region a with no community, activity, or protection? :unsure: Oh wait, it isn't.

How is it hostile? Those things you mentioned have nothing to do with whether its hostile or not.

And we've seen activity in natives opposing it.

If the american government was coming in to kick out native americans and the native americans did not like it and protested, would you still consider it hostile because you were stronger than them?
Aal Izz Well: UDL
<Koth> I'm still going by the assumption that Mahaj is Unibot's kid brother or something
Kandarin(Naivetry): You're going to have a great NS career ahead of you if you want it, Mahaj. :)
<@Eluvatar> Why is SkyDip such a purist raiderist
<+frattastan> Because his region was never raided.
<+maxbarry> EarthAway: I guess I might dabble in raiding just to experience it better, but I would not like to raid regions of natives, so I'd probably be more interested in defense and liberations

SunRawr
Ambassador

Founded: May 30, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby SunRawr » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:35 pm

They are puppets who apparently didn't care much about the region before the UDL told them they should be outraged. They made no effort to protect the region and they made no effort to even be active within the region. All they did was sit back and shut up, so their ability to play the game how they see fit is not affected. Since they were just about as active in Christmas as I was, they have no more claim over it than anyone else. It'd be like DYP trying to claim cit in every one of those regions where he has a puppet stored.
Last edited by SunRawr on Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Crushing Our Enemies
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 16, 2004
Corporate Police State

Postby Crushing Our Enemies » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:19 pm

Oh, who can say what a native is!
[violet] wrote:You are definitely not genial.
[violet] wrote:Congratulations to Crushing Our Enemies for making the first ever purchase. :)

East Berliner Peasants
Civil Servant

Founded: Jul 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby East Berliner Peasants » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:34 pm

Glad to see a Black Hawk agrees with me.
Regardless of the matter, only 2 natives are real people. If they want, they can move to the refounded (or soon to be) region.

Goon Sack
Political Columnist

Founded: Jul 13, 2012
Ex-Nation

Christmas belongs to the People!

Postby Goon Sack » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:16 pm

... and if they want to piss around with it, good.

Imperialists walking in with their jack boots and rationalisations for oppression need to be stopped.

Especially if they plan to rebuild Christmas. I was happy when I could just ignore it, or at best make an appearance, get shattered on beer and punch, and then stumble away from that scene of destruction.

Voting: FOR

Bundabunda
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Bundabunda » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:18 pm

Goon Sack wrote:... and if they want to piss around with it, good.

Imperialists walking in with their jack boots and rationalisations for oppression need to be stopped.

Especially if they plan to rebuild Christmas. I was happy when I could just ignore it, or at best make an appearance, get shattered on beer and punch, and then stumble away from that scene of destruction.

Voting: FOR

"Pissing around with it" means that they'll fall prey to a raid. Maybe the next raiders won't be as nice as Asgard.

Baubles
Political Columnist

Founded: Jun 16, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Baubles » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:29 pm

Bundabunda wrote:"Pissing around with it" means that they'll fall prey to a raid. Maybe the next raiders won't be as nice as Asgard.

Well, the previous raiders have all been nicer than Asgard...none of them have tried to refound us. As for others not being as nice; if this passes they will have to repeal the liberation before they can stand a chance of successfully refounding our region. There will come at least one time when the defenders are able to liberate our region before it comes even close to being refounded.

Bundabunda
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Bundabunda » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:59 pm

Baubles wrote:
Bundabunda wrote:"Pissing around with it" means that they'll fall prey to a raid. Maybe the next raiders won't be as nice as Asgard.

Well, the previous raiders have all been nicer than Asgard...none of them have tried to refound us. As for others not being as nice; if this passes they will have to repeal the liberation before they can stand a chance of successfully refounding our region. There will come at least one time when the defenders are able to liberate our region before it comes even close to being refounded.

So you've been raided numerous times before?
Let me ask: What's the logic behind not electing a Delegate so you could've at least temporarily passworded it?

This should be a lesson to you: Either you recruit or you password if you don't want invaders. You obviously were not quick to learn and instead choose to make a plea bargain on a region nice enough not to hold it up like a trophy (Or at the very least, keep it open).

Baubles
Political Columnist

Founded: Jun 16, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Baubles » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:21 am

Bundabunda wrote:So you've been raided numerous times before?
Let me ask: What's the logic behind not electing a Delegate so you could've at least temporarily passworded it?

This should be a lesson to you: Either you recruit or you password if you don't want invaders. You obviously were not quick to learn and instead choose to make a plea bargain on a region nice enough not to hold it up like a trophy (Or at the very least, keep it open).

Locking the region up is hardly in the Christmas spirit now is it?

Either I'm reading your post wrong, or you are really wrong in your assumptions. We didn't ask Asgard to come and raid us. We didn't ask them to password our region. We didn't ask them to try to refound our region. We didn't "choose to make a plea bargain", Asgard has made a decision and thrust it upon us.

Christmas Bunny
Civilian

Founded: Dec 24, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Christmas Bunny » Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:34 am

I'm not against having the region refounded. I am against having the region refounded by a foreign power who decided they want it to be part of their 'empire'.
I would much rather prefer that someone native to Christmas was allowed to refound it.

I support the liberation proposal.

Mahaj
Senator

Founded: Dec 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Mahaj » Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:43 am

And with the newest support, I anticipate the next argument from the supporters as:

"only three natives support this resolution"

:/
Aal Izz Well: UDL
<Koth> I'm still going by the assumption that Mahaj is Unibot's kid brother or something
Kandarin(Naivetry): You're going to have a great NS career ahead of you if you want it, Mahaj. :)
<@Eluvatar> Why is SkyDip such a purist raiderist
<+frattastan> Because his region was never raided.
<+maxbarry> EarthAway: I guess I might dabble in raiding just to experience it better, but I would not like to raid regions of natives, so I'd probably be more interested in defense and liberations

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives