NATION

PASSWORD

Summer Short Story Contest! (2012) Winners announced!

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Norstal
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 07, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:25 am

Conserative Morality wrote:
Norstal wrote:Short stories are usually 7500 words, so I would say yes.

However, if CM doesn't want to increase the limit to at least 6000 then I would say no.

I've changed it. :?

I feel a little guilty changing the rules midway through like this.

Might want to announce that in the thread title so that others are aware.

No worries though. I bet everyone is procrastinating. *nods*
Toronto Sun wrote:Best poster ever. ★★★★★

New York Times wrote:No one can beat him in debates. 5/5.

IGN wrote:Literally the best game I've ever played. 10/10

NSG Public wrote:What a fucking douchebag.

Supreme Chairman for Life of the Itty Bitty Kitty Committee

Krasny-Volny
Minister

Founded: Nov 20, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Krasny-Volny » Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:36 am

No worries though. I bet everyone is procrastinating. *nods*

I am. Busy juggling two other similar competitions at the moment, one online and one at a local community centre. NS can always be pushed to later, since the deadline's July 30.

Expect a rush of entries July 29, folks. Possibly even most of them.
Krastecexport. Cheap armaments for the budget minded, sold with discretion.

The Ben Boys
Senator

Founded: Apr 16, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Ben Boys » Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:42 am

Could we have stories about our nations? I don't plan on it, but asking out of curiosity.

"Both Religion and science require a belief in God. For believers, God is in the beginning, and for physicists He is at the end of all considerations"-Max Planck

Packers Nation

Metanih
Senator

Founded: Jan 21, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Metanih » Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:29 am

I started! I got about 20-25% done!
Nationstates Ninja
Second to Reploid Productions...
Everyone should watch this excellent show, and the movie Serenity.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0303461/

If you don't know me well, talk to me more. I have a DeviantArt account here. http://merin593.deviantart.com
Also, I am a pansexual genderfluid individual. If you don't know what that means, look it up. I deal with enough people asking in real life. . ;)

Nazi Flower Power
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 24, 2010
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Nazi Flower Power » Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:10 pm

Norstal wrote:Short stories are usually 7500 words, so I would say yes.

However, if CM doesn't want to increase the limit to at least 6000 then I would say no.

I've changed it. :?

Uh, yeah... I'd prefer you had left this alone, but done a contest with a longer word count limit for the fall.

I did go ahead and add a few sentences to clear up one thing in my story that was really not explained properly, so please keep the new word count limit, but next time please don't make changes after people have entered. I cut about 400 words from my story before posting it, and I have no way to get those back.
Last edited by Nazi Flower Power on Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Serene and Glorious Reich of Nazi Flower Power has existed for longer than Nazi Germany! Thank you to all the brave men and women of the Allied forces who made this possible!

Norstal
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:16 pm

The Ben Boys wrote:Could we have stories about our nations? I don't plan on it, but asking out of curiosity.

As long as it's new and original. I would allow prequels or sequels.

Norstal
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:22 pm

Nazi Flower Power wrote:
Conserative Morality wrote:I've changed it. :?

Uh, yeah... I'd prefer you had left this alone, but done a contest with a longer word count limit for the fall.

I did go ahead and add a few sentences to clear up one thing in my story that was really not explained properly, so please keep the new word count limit, but next time please don't make changes after people have entered. I cut about 400 words from my story before posting it, and I have no way to get those back.

Your opinions are noted and disregarded with impunity. :)

I think that during the first or second week of announcement, CM should allow suggestions to be made and change the rules accordingly. I only support increasing the word limit because the standard is way higher and it seems unfair to cap it at 5000.

But alright, no more changes to the rules from here on out. What you get is what you got.

Nazi Flower Power
Postmaster of the Fleet

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Nazi Flower Power » Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:53 pm

Norstal wrote:
Nazi Flower Power wrote:

Your opinions are noted and disregarded with impunity. :)

I think that during the first or second week of announcement, CM should allow suggestions to be made and change the rules accordingly. I only support increasing the word limit because the standard is way higher and it seems unfair to cap it at 5000.

But alright, no more changes to the rules from here on out. What you get is what you got.

This wasn't in the 1st or 2nd week. It was more like a month in.
The Serene and Glorious Reich of Nazi Flower Power has existed for longer than Nazi Germany! Thank you to all the brave men and women of the Allied forces who made this possible!

Norstal
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:25 pm

Nazi Flower Power wrote:
Norstal wrote:Your opinions are noted and disregarded with impunity. :)

This wasn't in the 1st or 2nd week. It was more like a month in.

I'm well aware of that. Hence why I said I only support the change because...

Nationstatelandsville
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 27, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Nationstatelandsville » Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:36 pm

I've complained of it before. I'm surprised CM actually listened.
"Then I was fertilized and grew wise;
From a word to a word I was led to a word,
From a work to a work I was led to a work."
- Odin, Hávamál 138-141, the Poetic Edda, as translated by Dan McCoy.

I enjoy meta-humor and self-deprecation. Annoying, right?

Goodbye.

Page
Post Marshal

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Page » Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:57 pm

Here is my submission. Yes, it is anachronistic and that is intentional, it shouldn't be too hard to follow and if it is then I hope it contributes to a sense of intrigue.

Although they had agreed to sleep in alternate shifts, Jenn and Chris had each lost their will to stay awake any longer, and had spent the last hour asleep on the park bench at the rest stop they spent four hours from the night before walking to.

That was a three hour walk, and one hour freezing in place off the side of the road every time headlights in parallel traffic appeared behind them. Because of the lack of exits and the divided road, Chris had decided to not take the same precaution with oncoming traffic, not likely to see them anyway, unless they saw police lights, which they only encountered once. That they were dressed in mostly black was a coincidental advantage they found themselves grateful for.

Chris woke up first, when the rising sun pierced through his eyelids. He sat up and looked around; the only movement was a family exiting a minivan with Tennessee plates, and three unsurprisingly loud children running ahead of their parents, either towards the public restrooms or vending machines. The father gave Chris a slight glance, but seemed to show no interest in him. "Civil inattention", this was a concept Chris remembered from AP Psychology, essentially the idea that a person will ever so briefly look at you so they can proceed to not look at you without feeling nervous.

He was a "straight A student", but despite the universities that would give him a nearly free ride and the good friends and family he had back home, he did not regret leaving his life in Florida behind. From time to time before the incident, he had found himself wishing he had put more effort into his goodbye note to his mom, but he always rationalized he could never adequately explain "why" to her anyway. It was all for the girl asleep next to him.

--------

"Why can't you just not know something and fucking deal with it?" David snapped at Chris between bites of the Big Mac he had just been handed, while Chris found his way back on to the main road after pulling off for a midafternoon dinner at the first McDonalds for one hundred miles.

"Shit" David continued with his mouth half full, "you didn't keep pressing this yesterday." Chris accelerated quickly in a way that made Jenn realized she hadn't buckled up. She quickly strapped on her seatbelt before David yelled at her about it. "You do not want to go down for stupid shit like not wearing your seatbelt which you should be doing anyway" David had lectured Chris on the first day on the road.

Chris merged into the far left lane and said "It matters to me because I'm driving, I want to know what I might go to prison for. Besides, I saved your ass back during spring break, you fucking owe me."

"I'm repaying that debt right now by driving you and your girlfriend up here. You're lucky your cousin up here is such a fucking hippie too, I wouldn't put up with you two sleeping on my couch for an afternoon nap, much less moving the fuck in" David said, irritated.

Jenn was dead quiet most of the trip. She broke a few hours of her silence by timidly saying "I want to know too."
David groaned loudly and said "You know those dye packs banks put in those bags when people rob them?" Chris and Jenn didn't verbally respond, they just waited for him to continue his explanation.

"Well once they go off, the money's fucked. You may get it out of your skin after a long time if you lay low, but you'll never get it out of the cash."
"You have inked up money?" Jenn asked.
"Had inked up money. Let's just say my buddy in Atlanta is a very, very dirty fed. Now I have good money, and a 5% cut of it when I take it back to my associates. A lot easier than smuggling drugs since the dogs don't smell it, but I'd still rather not risk being pulled over because someone is 9 over the speed limit again." David finished saying while growling the last words at Chris, who immediately pulled his foot off the gas.

--------

David's gun was now on the ground. Chris hadn't meant to drop it, but his muscles seemed to have given up on him, or maybe his mind had. David was shivering, on the edge of the road with his limbs sprawled out. The cop wasn't moving.

Approaching the cop with the caution of someone trying to pick up a rattlesnake with his bare hands, Chris knelt down and felt his pulse. He felt nothing. He looked over his chest and couldn't see the entry wound. "Is he faking?" he irrationally thought to himself as adrenaline flooded him and made him feel weightless.

Then, as he moved his eyes up, he saw. The shot went straight through the man's forehead. "How? The recoil must have aimed it up..." Suddenly, he felt a voice inside his mind, instructing him. As if he were possessed by an entity much colder and wiser than he was, he knew what he had to do. The patrol car's door was open, and Chris found the dashboard cam. He ripped it out and smashed it against the road and stomped on it repeatedly until it finally started to fracture and break into pieces. He put the remnants in his pocket.

He walked back towards David, who had been shot in the chest. He was gasping for air, it looked to Chris like one or both of his lungs had collapsed.

"Chris, help." David croaked. Chris ignored his plea and walked to the front of the car. Jenn was sitting there, her face down toward the floor, looking catatonic.

Chris pulled the keys out of the ignition and opened the trunk, and saw a single backpack. He unzipped it and peered in at stacked cash. He zipped it back up and hoisted it around his back, it was heavier than he thought. He walked up to the passenger side of the car. "Jenn. Jenn. Listen to me, we have to go. David shot the cop, got hit back. They're dead, Jenn. I don't think anyone knew he was out here but we need to get the fuck out of here. We can't stay with this car, we have to walk."

After a minute of pleading, Chris coaxed her out of the car and convinced her to follow him.

--------

Chris put his hand on Jenn's shoulder and shook her a little. Her eyes opened and she gasped. "Jenn, it's alright" Chris said, keeping his hand on her and looking over her with concern. She looked around and observed settings that were momentarily unfamiliar in the light of day. "I'm sorry, I just keep thinking about last night and, you know, I never knew David was like that, and he'd shoot a cop, oh God."
She hugged Chris with her hands shaking.

--------

The faded maroon colored 1994 Saturn SC1 sat idling at the side of the highway, lit up only by the cellphone flashlight David kept on in the back seat and alternating blue and red of the West Virginia highway patrol car parked right behind them. Its floor was littered with fast food bags and its trunk was carrying precious cargo, but despite the stakes David remained untouched by fear, at least on the surface.

After the typical "license, registration, and insurance" demand, the cop walked back to his car to run the plates. In a pocket on the rear side of the front seat was David's gun. The Glock made a noticeable outline. "Why do you have that light on?!" Chris whisper-yelled back at David from the driver's seat while watching the highway patrol officer through the rear window.

"I've been pulled over before, you haven't, there's protocol. Right now he thinks we haven't broken any laws except for speeding, you don't want to stay in the shadows, give him a reason to think we're hiding something." David explained. Older than Jenn and Chris, David was once a friend of Chris's stepbrother. He was involved with dealing but in regards to himself he was strictly clean, so much so that he made Jenn throw out her dimebag back in Georgia, or else threatening to throw her and Chris out of the car for good.

"If the car smells like weed, you can bet they'll shake it down. I'm a professional." David had stated earlier. But David's rules hadn't prevented them from being pulled over. Chris already had a sinking feeling, and David only made it worse with what he said next.

"Listen up, Jenn. They're going to ID you, and since you're still underage they're probably going to take you back, if your dad reported you as a runaway. I'm sorry, but there's nothing I can do about that."

Jenn froze with fear. "No, no, no, please David I can't go back there, Chris told you. Please David do something, help me. Please" she began to stammer. Chris looked over at her and said "Don't worry, that's nothing going to happen."

--------

Chris ran his hand through Jenn's hair, giving her a moment in silence to calm down. "You didn't see it happen, did you?" Chris asked. This was a question he asked three times so far, although he was very interested if her answer would change after the initial trauma faded. He remembered another idea from psychology class that REM sleep is when people "processed" their long term memories, their mind deciding what to file and what to shred.

"No, I just put down my head and tried to cover my ears. I thought it was you, I thought you were all gone, I wish you had just stayed in the car." Jenn answered in a way that sounded like she was lecturing him. Chris smiled very slightly, though she couldn't see it.
He reached over and grabbed the backpack. He didn't dare open it, only lifted it to feel the weight was the same. "So what do you want for your birthday?" Chris asked her. "I know it's still six weeks away, but you know, it'll be easier after that. No one ever knew we were with David. You and I can go wherever we want." Jenn looked at him with some disbelief. She opened her mouth to say something but went silent again.

-------

Jenn tossed a small, packed suitcase into the backseat and sat back there opposite it.
"You can sit up front, if you want" Chris offered. Seeing Jenn with the bruise on her arm and the cut on her nose made him want to kill her father every time he noticed her.

"No, it's fine, I'm fine back here for now" Jenn answered. "Maybe tomorrow when you and David switch driving shifts."
She put on her music and began to daydream. She wished she could forget what was done to her; she wished she could forget the years of abuse. Most of all, she wished she could one day forget Chris. It wasn't that she didn't love him, he was there for her over the last seven years, and he was the only one who ever treated her like a human being.

Jenn knew what Chris was risking for her, and what he was giving up. And now she sat in the backseat of a car with the boy who always loved her and a criminal she had not met up until a minute ago, with a mindset of "anywhere but here." And she was so grateful to Chris, but how could she love him, that was the thought the kept haunting her - when he was a constant reminder of a life she wanted to erase from her memory.

--------

"Officer, mind if we step out of the car for a moment, for a cigarette? I really am craving one but don't like smoking inside the car." David asked the cop.

"Yeah, fine, just stay right here" the cop shouted back to them.

"Chris, come out here for a cigarette." David said to him in a way that was clearly an order and not a request. Chris pulled the seat in and opened the door. David stepped out, leaving his gun in the pouch. It was now glaringly visible, the cop would see it. Impulsively, Chris grabbed it and stuffed it in his own waist. David hadn't seen him, neither had the cop.

David light both cigarettes in his mouth at one time and handed one to Chris, and berated him over the thoughts he could read on Chris' face.

"You know I like you buddy, but this money is a fuck lot more important than this girl to me, and I know you're thinking of getting back in that car and flooring it. Know this - I will kill you. Not a metaphor, buddy, got it?"

Chris didn't think David would be moved by any pleas, but he proceeded to beg for him to help anyway. "Then give him $10,000, you have a shitload more and this hick'll take a bribe" he whispered. "And my boss will make me pay back that $10,000 with one of my kidneys on the black market, we aren't bribing this pig, don't even fucking joke about that." David snapped back.

"She can't go back to her father, David. He does more than beat her, he fucking touched her, you get that? It's not right, I'm not letting her be dragged back to that house."

"Call DCF." David replied coldly. "She'll be 18 in a month or so anyway, right?"

"Yeah and what will he do to her while they investigate and file their fucking paperwork? No, I refuse."

David was on the brink of slugging Chris in the jaw if not for the cop approaching them again. "Sir, are you aware this girl with you is a reported runaway in Florida?"

From behind David, Chris drew the pistol and fired at the cop. The return fire let him know that he had missed. Shots pierced David's body and he fell to the ground. Whether the cop didn't know, didn't care who shot, or simply missed Chris, it didn't matter - Chris took another shot and the cop too collapsed, dead.

--------

"How much farther?" Jenn asked, panting. They were both drenched in sweat, they had been walking along the side of the highway for hours.

"I saw a sign, there's a rest stop just 2 more miles ahead" Chris said.
"You think they're looking for us?" Jenn asked.
"I told you, they don't even know we're here. David drew on the cop, they both shot, they're both dead. Case closed by now, I'd think." Chris replied in a way that was meant to be reassuring, although he was still very nervous they'd be spotted and taken in. And with the money around his back, they'd have no way out.

"We'll make it, we have to."

--------

"So, what are you and your girlfriend going to do in Seattle?" the thick bearded man who picked up the two teenage hitchhikers earlier in the morning at the rest stop where they were stranded had asked them.

"Just going to explore, have a good time. Then we'll probably make our way down to LA, might even go to Mexico." Chris answered while the two were standing at adjacent urinals in the men's room an Indiana reststop.

"Jenn always wanted to see Cancun" Chris said pensively.

"You look troubled" the man who picked them up said observantly.
Chris zipped up and walked to the sink.

"Have you ever loved someone so much, you made the biggest sacrifice ever for them, but if you want them to keep loving you, then they can never, ever know what you did?"

The man laughed a little nervously and said "Reminds me of my ex-wife, I once pawned her mother's bracelet to pay some bills. Had no choice, but she never forgave me. You mean something like that?"

"Yeah man" Chris answered as he exited and saw Jenn exiting the women's restroom. "Something just like that."
Anarcho-Communist Against: Bolsheviks, Fascists, TERFs, Putin, Autocrats, Conservatives, Ancaps, Bourgeoisie, Bigots, Liberals, Maoists

I don't believe in kink-shaming unless your kink is submitting to the state.

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:01 am

Thirteen days, and such.
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

Nationstatelandsville
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 27, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Nationstatelandsville » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:59 pm

Conserative Morality wrote:Thirteen days, and such.

Getting to it now, CM.

This is either a really good idea or a really bad one. Probably bad, but eh.
"Then I was fertilized and grew wise;
From a word to a word I was led to a word,
From a work to a work I was led to a work."
- Odin, Hávamál 138-141, the Poetic Edda, as translated by Dan McCoy.

I enjoy meta-humor and self-deprecation. Annoying, right?

Goodbye.

Page
Post Marshal

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Page » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:02 pm

Nationstatelandsville wrote:This is either a really good idea or a really bad one. Probably bad, but eh.

I had similar thoughts because I often write something thinking it's a stroke of genius and end up hating it a day later.
Anarcho-Communist Against: Bolsheviks, Fascists, TERFs, Putin, Autocrats, Conservatives, Ancaps, Bourgeoisie, Bigots, Liberals, Maoists

I don't believe in kink-shaming unless your kink is submitting to the state.

Costa Fiero
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Fiero » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:26 pm

Can I write a creative travel story?

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:27 pm

Costa Fiero wrote:Can I write a creative travel story?

I don't see why not.
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

Costa Fiero
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Fiero » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:29 pm

Costa Fiero wrote:Can I write a creative travel story?

I don't see why not.

Good. Expect a story about the catacombs in Paris.

Havl
Minister

Founded: Dec 06, 2004
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Havl » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:38 pm

I'm interested in reading what others have to write. I'm also curious as to what others will think of this story. I enjoyed writing it. Thank you for your consideration.

Accounting was one thing Edward Angestelter really understood. It was a completely concrete task. The more he practiced, the better he became. Not like love, or life. The more he loved or lived, the more he wondered if he was really doing it right. At his job, there was one way to do things, one way to accomplish something, and that one way was well documented and always available. Edward succeeded at his job, but he failed at most other things.

It’s not for lack of trying that Edward’s wife left him. Had love been more of an absolute practice, he would have no doubt been as successful a lover as he was an accountant. He didn’t keep books about it, or try to calculate or analyze love as he would an account, but he did try to make his marriage work. He thought about it a lot. While working, he would wonder why life wasn’t as easy as expenditure reports, and why calculating the gross domestic dividends of the Dyerson account was easier than guessing Laura’s mood.

He was always afraid she’d leave him. She’d all but given up on him after their first year of marriage,. and he was sure she was cheating on him, but he brought in steady income and treated her with care, so she stuck around. When the firm let him go, they blamed downsizing and commemorated his ten-plus years of service by letting him keep his company mug. They kept his nametag. Laura was completely moved out within the week.

Edward had an interview the next day, and the next day. For a few months, the daily interviews kept him too occupied to size up the turn his life had made. It wasn’t until the new job opportunities stopped coming that he acted out. He shattered his company mug against the wall and said, “Fuck downsizing,” as he slumped to the ground. It was a Wednesday. Edward was thirty-one years old.

Finding cheap and steady work, he moved back into the city, sharing an apartment with a roommate he rarely saw, reading old school books, trying to find an interest in sports. He thought about Laura, but he never heard from her. He drove past the old firm on his way to work at the bus station.

On a bright January morning, after a midnight shift, he opened a letter from Mr. J. Geber, a man whom Edward had apparently sent an application to some time before. In the letter, Geber congratulated Edward that he had been allotted an interview, told him he was to arrive on time at the mansion outside of the city the next day, and that he should be excited at such a marvelous opportunity. Edward didn’t remember mailing an application to Geber. He was excited.

As he drove to the address the next day, Edward turned on the radio and sang along. He hadn’t done that since he was a child. He found the place without much trouble, and pulled into the driveway through an iron gate that stood open. As he hummed part of the tune from the radio, he rang the doorbell. An attendant opened the door, greeted Edward, and guided him in.

“Mister Geber will be waiting for you up these stairs, Mr. Angestelter.”

“Ah, yes, thank you,” said Edward. He straightened his suit.

The walls of the main parlor were deep red with intricate patterns, and Edward recognized the scent of papaya.. He dusted his feet and followed the stairs up to a foyer. A gold etching outside of a door indicated the office. Edward knocked on the open door. A seated man wheeled around behind an intricate wooden desk. Edward remarked to himself that the desk was twice as large as his had been at Smith-Jones.

“Mr. Angestelter, come in. I’m Joshua Geber. I’m pleased to meet you.”

“It’s an honor, Mr. Geber,” said Edward.

Geber motioned towards the chairs in front of the desk, and Edward sat.

“I hope you don’t mind if I call you Ed, because I’m going to,” said Geber. “What I run here is a delicate business that creates a lot of paperwork and a lot of problems for my accounting staff, and your firm told me you’re top notch.”

Edward smiled and politely nodded.

“You’re hired, Ed,” said Geber, “and you’re going to need to pay attention. I’ve read up about you, your school records, your ten-plus years at the firm. You’re good, and I’d like to have you on the team. Now, you’re wondering what we do here, and that’s good, but it’s not important. We run a business the same as any company, and you’ll find that it’s much the same as your work at the firm. Understood?”

“Yes sir,” said Edward.

“Good. We’re completely self-operating, which is why I need my own accountants. I need to trust you. You’ll be paid forty-nine hundred a week. You need to be here most of the day, and you’ll keep all of your equipment and everything you need here at your office. Clear?”

“Yes. Clear,” said Edward.

Just then, Edward felt the air in the room change. It felt as if the atmosphere had picked up, that the air had lifted and taken gravity with it. Edward turned slowly to watch a tall, blonde woman enter the room at half speed. She took her time to cross the room, walking from the door to the desk. She didn’t carry herself with the weightlessness that Edward felt, but instead seemed to drag through heavy air. Each footstep she planted with determination, and yet she seemed to be pulled across the room like a delicate marionette. Her flowing black dress flapped as she moved and outlined her pregnant stomach.

Geber continued to speak, but Edward heard nothing of it. He was mesmerized, and as she left the room, the weight of the atmosphere fell back on him in one big drop.

“…and these documents are extremely important. That was my wife,” Geber said. “She’s pregnant. Don’t pay her too much attention.”

Edward nodded, though his mind was far from thoughts of what Geber had in mind for him. His mouth felt dry.

“As I was saying, Ed, I need to trust you,” said Geber. “I need to see that I can trust you.”

“You can trust me,” said Edward. “Especially with your account.”

“I need to trust you completely, aside from the account. I need to know you can be everything we need you to be. I need to know you will do what’s needed to be done.”

Edward cautiously nodded.

“You need to be able to do this work for this money without knowing why. You need to be able to feel like part of this company without feeling the need to ask questions. You need to be able to trust yourself when things get complicated.”

Edward shifted in his seat. He was focused on Geber, who was making eye contact for the first time.

“You need to be able to commit a crime.”

“I can be what you need,” said Edward. “I mean, I can be trusted. Account work is what I do, there’s no question there.”

“I need more than that,” said Geber.

His eyes were fixed on Edward.

“You are part of a team here that I know I can trust, and I need you to understand that.”

Geber moved in his chair, and Edward could see that he was in a wheelchair.

“Ed, I need you to stand up and put this on.”

He handed him a rubber Halloween mask of a wild boar. Edward stood and hesitated.

“Put on that mask,” said Geber. “You’re going to show me I can trust you”

The two moved into the hallway, where Edward put on the mask.

“These three doors represent what I will be needing from you,” said Geber.

He handed Edward a pistol. Its heft surprised him.

“I need to know that you can commit any act for me,” said Geber. “A crime, an act of violence, or an act of self-restraint. And you need to know what I’m calling for each time.”

He motioned Edward toward the doors.

“Go to the doors. Show me I can trust you.”

Edward moved to the first door on the left. He could hardly see out of the mask. He opened the door and entered the dimly lit room. On the left, he could see a steel desk covered with papers beside file cabinets. At the far end of the room was a projector screen showing various targets, like a shooting range. He moved out of the room. Geber watched him closely.

Edward moved closer to the next door, but he heard something in the third door. He pressed his ear against the wood. Singing and running water. Cautiously, he opened the door. Inside, he saw a bathroom, large and open with white tiles, muted light pouring in through two opaque windows, and a four-footed claw bathtub in the middle of the room. He moved further inward.

Geber’s wife was bathing in the tub, her large belly sticking up from the water, her legs hanging out from one end. One arm supported her head. The other was unseen under the water. She was softly humming the song from the radio, and the room smelled like papaya. Geber dropped the gun, which fell silently on the thick carpet by the sink. Edward was enchanted. Geber watched from the hall.

Edward moved gradually toward the tub. It was as if she couldn’t see him as she continued to bathe, relaxed. Edward moved closer still, circling the tub. He peered at her. He paused by her side at the tub, and then knelt close. His arms reached in around her in an embrace, and she fell limp. He picked her up and pulled her flaccidly out of the tub. She languidly rose in a black bathing suit that clung to her wet skin. She did not look at him.

He didn’t know what to do. He pulled at the mask as the strange nature of the entire occasion struck him. She wandered off out of the bathroom, taking the scent of papaya and the warm glow from the windows with her. Edward stood wet and confused and dropped the mask.

“I can trust you, my friend,” said Geber. “Come, let’s talk about business.”

Edward labored out of the bathroom, dripping in his good suit. His foot knocked the pistol into a corner. His mind raced, and his body was exhausted. He tried not to make things make sense in his mind. He followed Geber to a small elevator at the end of the hall.

The mirror-lined elevator walls reflected Edward’s white and sagged face. He looked equally confused and fatigued.

“I’m really not sure about any of this,” he said. “I don’t even know what’s going on.”

Geber smiled as they reached the ground floor.

“I told you, Ed. You don’t need to understand. You don’t need to know. You just need to do what’s necessary.”

Geber showed Edward to the front door, and thanked him for his time. Reminding him to show up on Monday at seven sharp, he smiled an unnerving smile and closed the large, ornate door.

Ed climbed into his car and navigated through the mossy road to the open iron gate. Although he had just been hired, had been complemented on his accounting abilities and been offered a salary larger than he had ever imagined, he didn’t turn on the radio. He didn’t sing along, and didn’t hum as he opened his front door. He went inside, lit the papaya candle and drifted to sleep.

Nazi Flower Power
Postmaster of the Fleet

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Nazi Flower Power » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:03 pm

Havl wrote:I'm interested in reading what others have to write. I'm also curious as to what others will think of this story. I enjoyed writing it. Thank you for your consideration.

Accounting was one thing Edward Angestelter really understood. It was a completely concrete task. The more he practiced, the better he became. Not like love, or life. The more he loved or lived, the more he wondered if he was really doing it right. At his job, there was one way to do things, one way to accomplish something, and that one way was well documented and always available. Edward succeeded at his job, but he failed at most other things.

It’s not for lack of trying that Edward’s wife left him. Had love been more of an absolute practice, he would have no doubt been as successful a lover as he was an accountant. He didn’t keep books about it, or try to calculate or analyze love as he would an account, but he did try to make his marriage work. He thought about it a lot. While working, he would wonder why life wasn’t as easy as expenditure reports, and why calculating the gross domestic dividends of the Dyerson account was easier than guessing Laura’s mood.

He was always afraid she’d leave him. She’d all but given up on him after their first year of marriage,. and he was sure she was cheating on him, but he brought in steady income and treated her with care, so she stuck around. When the firm let him go, they blamed downsizing and commemorated his ten-plus years of service by letting him keep his company mug. They kept his nametag. Laura was completely moved out within the week.

Edward had an interview the next day, and the next day. For a few months, the daily interviews kept him too occupied to size up the turn his life had made. It wasn’t until the new job opportunities stopped coming that he acted out. He shattered his company mug against the wall and said, “Fuck downsizing,” as he slumped to the ground. It was a Wednesday. Edward was thirty-one years old.

Finding cheap and steady work, he moved back into the city, sharing an apartment with a roommate he rarely saw, reading old school books, trying to find an interest in sports. He thought about Laura, but he never heard from her. He drove past the old firm on his way to work at the bus station.

On a bright January morning, after a midnight shift, he opened a letter from Mr. J. Geber, a man whom Edward had apparently sent an application to some time before. In the letter, Geber congratulated Edward that he had been allotted an interview, told him he was to arrive on time at the mansion outside of the city the next day, and that he should be excited at such a marvelous opportunity. Edward didn’t remember mailing an application to Geber. He was excited.

As he drove to the address the next day, Edward turned on the radio and sang along. He hadn’t done that since he was a child. He found the place without much trouble, and pulled into the driveway through an iron gate that stood open. As he hummed part of the tune from the radio, he rang the doorbell. An attendant opened the door, greeted Edward, and guided him in.

The walls of the main parlor were deep red with intricate patterns, and Edward recognized the scent of papaya.. He dusted his feet and followed the stairs up to a foyer. A gold etching outside of a door indicated the office. Edward knocked on the open door. A seated man wheeled around behind an intricate wooden desk. Edward remarked to himself that the desk was twice as large as his had been at Smith-Jones.

“I hope you don’t mind if I call you Ed, because I’m going to,” said Geber. “What I run here is a delicate business that creates a lot of paperwork and a lot of problems for my accounting staff, and your firm told me you’re top notch.”

“You’re hired, Ed,” said Geber, “and you’re going to need to pay attention. I’ve read up about you, your school records, your ten-plus years at the firm. You’re good, and I’d like to have you on the team. Now, you’re wondering what we do here, and that’s good, but it’s not important. We run a business the same as any company, and you’ll find that it’s much the same as your work at the firm. Understood?”

“Yes sir,” said Edward.

“Good. We’re completely self-operating, which is why I need my own accountants. I need to trust you. You’ll be paid forty-nine hundred a week. You need to be here most of the day, and you’ll keep all of your equipment and everything you need here at your office. Clear?”

Just then, Edward felt the air in the room change. It felt as if the atmosphere had picked up, that the air had lifted and taken gravity with it. Edward turned slowly to watch a tall, blonde woman enter the room at half speed. She took her time to cross the room, walking from the door to the desk. She didn’t carry herself with the weightlessness that Edward felt, but instead seemed to drag through heavy air. Each footstep she planted with determination, and yet she seemed to be pulled across the room like a delicate marionette. Her flowing black dress flapped as she moved and outlined her pregnant stomach.

Geber continued to speak, but Edward heard nothing of it. He was mesmerized, and as she left the room, the weight of the atmosphere fell back on him in one big drop.

“…and these documents are extremely important. That was my wife,” Geber said. “She’s pregnant. Don’t pay her too much attention.”

Edward nodded, though his mind was far from thoughts of what Geber had in mind for him. His mouth felt dry.

“As I was saying, Ed, I need to trust you,” said Geber. “I need to see that I can trust you.”

“I need to trust you completely, aside from the account. I need to know you can be everything we need you to be. I need to know you will do what’s needed to be done.”

“You need to be able to do this work for this money without knowing why. You need to be able to feel like part of this company without feeling the need to ask questions. You need to be able to trust yourself when things get complicated.”

Edward shifted in his seat. He was focused on Geber, who was making eye contact for the first time.

“I can be what you need,” said Edward. “I mean, I can be trusted. Account work is what I do, there’s no question there.”

“You are part of a team here that I know I can trust, and I need you to understand that.”

He handed him a rubber Halloween mask of a wild boar. Edward stood and hesitated.

“I need to know that you can commit any act for me,” said Geber. “A crime, an act of violence, or an act of self-restraint. And you need to know what I’m calling for each time.”

Edward moved to the first door on the left. He could hardly see out of the mask. He opened the door and entered the dimly lit room. On the left, he could see a steel desk covered with papers beside file cabinets. At the far end of the room was a projector screen showing various targets, like a shooting range. He moved out of the room. Geber watched him closely.

Edward moved closer to the next door, but he heard something in the third door. He pressed his ear against the wood. Singing and running water. Cautiously, he opened the door. Inside, he saw a bathroom, large and open with white tiles, muted light pouring in through two opaque windows, and a four-footed claw bathtub in the middle of the room. He moved further inward.

Geber’s wife was bathing in the tub, her large belly sticking up from the water, her legs hanging out from one end. One arm supported her head. The other was unseen under the water. She was softly humming the song from the radio, and the room smelled like papaya. Geber dropped the gun, which fell silently on the thick carpet by the sink. Edward was enchanted. Geber watched from the hall.

Edward moved gradually toward the tub. It was as if she couldn’t see him as she continued to bathe, relaxed. Edward moved closer still, circling the tub. He peered at her. He paused by her side at the tub, and then knelt close. His arms reached in around her in an embrace, and she fell limp. He picked her up and pulled her flaccidly out of the tub. She languidly rose in a black bathing suit that clung to her wet skin. She did not look at him.

He didn’t know what to do. He pulled at the mask as the strange nature of the entire occasion struck him. She wandered off out of the bathroom, taking the scent of papaya and the warm glow from the windows with her. Edward stood wet and confused and dropped the mask.

Edward labored out of the bathroom, dripping in his good suit. His foot knocked the pistol into a corner. His mind raced, and his body was exhausted. He tried not to make things make sense in his mind. He followed Geber to a small elevator at the end of the hall.

The mirror-lined elevator walls reflected Edward’s white and sagged face. He looked equally confused and fatigued.

“I’m really not sure about any of this,” he said. “I don’t even know what’s going on.”

“I told you, Ed. You don’t need to understand. You don’t need to know. You just need to do what’s necessary.”

Geber showed Edward to the front door, and thanked him for his time. Reminding him to show up on Monday at seven sharp, he smiled an unnerving smile and closed the large, ornate door.

Ed climbed into his car and navigated through the mossy road to the open iron gate. Although he had just been hired, had been complemented on his accounting abilities and been offered a salary larger than he had ever imagined, he didn’t turn on the radio. He didn’t sing along, and didn’t hum as he opened his front door. He went inside, lit the papaya candle and drifted to sleep.

The last names are a bit obvious, but if they're meant to be obvious, then hey, whatever floats your boat. I do take you seriously as competition.

A lot of writers in here -- not just in this thread, but in A&F generally -- are just trying to do things that are far beyond their abilities; but it looks like you more or less had the story under control and got it to do what it was supposed to do.

Forsher
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 30, 2012
New York Times Democracy

Postby Forsher » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:16 pm

Nazi Flower Power wrote:
Havl wrote:I'm interested in reading what others have to write. I'm also curious as to what others will think of this story. I enjoyed writing it. Thank you for your consideration.

“Yes sir,” said Edward.

The last names are a bit obvious, but if they're meant to be obvious, then hey, whatever floats your boat. I do take you seriously as competition.

A lot of writers in here -- not just in this thread, but in A&F generally -- are just trying to do things that are far beyond their abilities; but it looks like you more or less had the story under control and got it to do what it was supposed to do.

Tell me, am I in the story I added here?
That it Could be What it Is, Is What it Is

Stop making shit up, though. Links, or it's a God-damn lie and you know it.

The normie life is heteronormie

We won't know until 2053 when it'll be really obvious what he should've done. [...] We have no option but to guess.

Nazi Flower Power
Postmaster of the Fleet

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Nazi Flower Power » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:22 am

Forsher wrote:
Nazi Flower Power wrote:

Maybe a little. The ridiculous prose does look like it was a deliberate stylistic choice, but I am not sure you got exactly the effect you were going for.

I've been reading the "Writing Discussion" thread where there are a lot of first chapters of novels that people are working on, and most of those novels will never get written; or if they do get written they won't be any good.

Cosumar
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 14, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Cosumar » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:32 am

Thinking about entering. I have a story I've been working on for awhile that has about 1,600 right now. If I finish it in time for this, I'll edit it in here.
Qualified: World Cups 54-59, 62, 73-83
President, World Lacrosse Fed.
World Bowl VP

Champions: DBC 35/44/45, AOCAF 54, Eagle Cup VII, WCoH 33, CoH 64, IBC 18, NSCF 10/11/15/16, WLC 20/21/26, Arena Bowl I & III
2nd Place: AOCAF 57, NSCF 13, WBC 34, WLC 12/19/23, AOHC VI, Arena Bowl V
3rd Place: AOCAF 55, CoH 45 & 62, WLC 18 & 24, BoI VI

Host: WC 78 & 82, CoH 69 & 74, BoF 62, World Bowl 27, WLC 20, Beach Cup II & V
NEWSWIRE
Your friendly neighborhood Metalhead
Last.fm | RYM | Essential Cosumarcore
Political Compass
U of Texas grad livin in NC
Dallas sports
Secularist, Environmentalist, LGBT/BLM/feminist ally, Whovian
Author, Issue 319: Sizing Up The Competition

Forsher
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 30, 2012
New York Times Democracy

Postby Forsher » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:35 am

Nazi Flower Power wrote:
Forsher wrote:

Maybe a little. The ridiculous prose does look like it was a deliberate stylistic choice, but I am not sure you got exactly the effect you were going for.

I've been reading the "Writing Discussion" thread where there are a lot of first chapters of novels that people are working on, and most of those novels will never get written; or if they do get written they won't be any good.

I tend to write first pages or paragraph. The only things I finish are originally for school (like this story and the one for the other one of these I was in) or my nonsense poems.
That it Could be What it Is, Is What it Is

Stop making shit up, though. Links, or it's a God-damn lie and you know it.

The normie life is heteronormie

We won't know until 2053 when it'll be really obvious what he should've done. [...] We have no option but to guess.

Nazi Flower Power
Postmaster of the Fleet

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Nazi Flower Power » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:01 am

Forsher wrote:
Nazi Flower Power wrote:

I tend to write first pages or paragraph. The only things I finish are originally for school (like this story and the one for the other one of these I was in) or my nonsense poems.

I tend to start things and not finish them as well. I've been known to get as far as 100 pages in, and then lose track of what I was writing or just realize that the story sucks and give up on it. Usually it's more like 2 pages.

The only reason I managed to finish a story for this contest was because I am between jobs. It's really difficult to give writing the time it deserves when I also have to work 8 hrs a day and sleep 8 hrs a night.

I actually wrote a sequel to the story I entered here. The sequel has better development of the setting and more backstory, but a less interesting plot.

Havl
Minister

Founded: Dec 06, 2004
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Havl » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:37 am

Nazi Flower Power wrote:I actually wrote a sequel to the story I entered here. The sequel has better development of the setting and more backstory, but a less interesting plot.

Post the sequel at some point. I just finished your story, and I feel like the end would make for a good beginning. By the way, what's the title of your story?
Same flag, same motto, same whatever since 2004.
Champions: World Cup of Hockey 20, 21, 22, 25
Hosts: NationStates Sports Car Series 1, 2, 3, 4

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction