NATION

PASSWORD

Noctur Press Association [CLOSED, NOCTUR ONLY]

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]
Radiatia
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 25, 2011
Ex-Nation

Noctur Press Association [CLOSED, NOCTUR ONLY]

Postby Radiatia » Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:35 am

The regional news source for Noctur. Between you and me, the hint was in the name.

RADIATIANS VOTE TO LEAVE THE HL
"REXIT" REFERENDUM PASSES BY 57%

July 29th LET 39 Last updated 03:35 Exegrad Standard Time
ImageImageImageImage

XERCONIA, FCT
57% of Radiatians have voted to leave the Humanitarian League, following the results of the controversial "Rexit" referendum.
The dove is burnt: Radiatians
have voted overwhelmingly to leave
the Humanitarian League

President Hiroshi Vodotel signed the referendum into law earlier today, following its approval from the Supreme Court as being in line with the constitution.

"We enter a brave new world today," He said in an official statement - his first since being appointed as President. "The days of our involvement in international politics have borne very little fruit. Our attempts at diplomacy, while noble, were ultimately failures. While the nation shall continue to hold alliances with individual nations, I foresee a more neutral, unilateral and isolationist foreign policy likely to develop as a result."

Prime Minister Soden Larssen said that he was "devastated".

"I did not and do not want Radiatia to leave the Humanitarian League," He said. "For the first time in our history as a nation we had positive relations with almost all of our neighbours. I cannot describe my disappointment that the Radiatian people have chosen to reject this opportunity."

However, Mr. Larssen was not entirely supported by his cabinet.

"Radiatia has regained her freedom," Said Foreign Affairs Minister Gregori Fyoderov. "Noble though the HL was, it was a stumbling block for us, and far too restrictive."

The Rexit Referendum was brought about by activists from the Radiatian Destiny Party, who were out in force celebrating their triumph.

"At last, Radiatia is clean of the influence of dirty foreigners!" Said one supporter.

"This is the greatest triumph since the fall of communism!" Said another.

However in spite of their successful engineered referendum, the Radiatian Destiny Party's support in the polls has actually declined down to 4% approval.

- RPNN

Joe (Odering, Skorptsch)
3 HOURS AGO
The Humanitarian League was the worst thing to ever happen to Radiatia. Fuck these leftist liberal traitor politicians who made us join in the first place.
214 likes

Red Fred (Cudshot City, Radia)
4 HOURS AGO
I'm pretty disappointed at all the narrow-minded, bigoted comments on here. The anti-HL crowd are the sort of idiots who can't find their own state on a map.
109 likes

STATES RIGHTS FOR ALL (Tavland, Clode)
2 HOURS AGO
yesss! firSt stop getting rid of Humanitrian League, then we get rid of the federal govermant!!!1!
67 likes

© LET 39 Radiatian People's News Network, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
RPNN is not responsible for the content of external sites.

Mobile Site | Advertise With Us | Ad Choices | Terms of Use | Privacy | Cookies | About the RPNN | RPNN Help | Accessibility Help | Contact Us
Last edited by Radiatia on Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:21 am, edited 11 times in total.

Aazeronia
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 04, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Aazeronia » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:23 am

Humanitarian League in Shambles...Aazeronia Attempts Revitalization

AAZERON - Following Radiatia's departure from the Humanitarian League, the league quickly fell apart due newcomers attempting to change the functions of the Humanitarian League and by pass the regulations already put into place.

This was an awful uprising within the HL. It cost us the good friend of Radiatia being in the league and caused a splinter league altogether lead by the nation of Battalion. Needless to say, there will be some restructuring and stricture procedure for entering the league. I will not have this league fail on my watch nor be usurped by outsiders claiming to be a voice of the people.

That was Federal President Thomas Myrja's statement on the whole incident.

Among some of the new reforms will be: stricter entrance, a new revised charter that goes into greater detail about the function of the league, as well as, numerous other modifications.

Although not located within the HL anymore, both Radiatia and Aazeronia have worked out agreements and have promised mutual cooperation among the two nations.
Monarch: Alexander VIII / Chancellor: Matthias Vaalian, Lord Farcroft / Minister of Foreign Affairs: Tomas Velgible / Minister of Foreign Trade: Gregor Halfthousin
RP population: 265 million
Armed Forces: Imperial Aazeronian Army(200,000), Imperial Aazeronian Armada(205,000), Imperial Aazeronian Air Fleet(355,000), Aazeronian Expeditionary Force(250,000), Black Phoenix Division(100,000), Aazeronian Humanitarian Corp(130,000)
Proud Member of:
Current Conflicts:
None

Faransia
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jul 23, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Faransia » Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:09 pm

THE HUMANITARIAN LEAGUE HITS A NEW LOW
WITH THE SCHISM OCCURRING IN THE HUMANITARIAN LEAGUE, MANY NATIONS FLEE

PARIS, ÎLE-DE-FARANSIE, FARANSIA The regions of Noctur and Nysa have risen from the ashes of what was the Humanitarian League (HL), following what some are calling The Schism.

Not everyone is really quite sure as to how the crisis began at this point, but we can confirm that the result was a feud between those who wanted to keep the region's fundamentals intact (named "Stalwarts" for convenience) and those who wanted a drastic change to occur (called "Progressives").

On the side of the Stalwarts were nations such as Radiatia, Nui-ta, and Aazeronia, undoubtably seen as the leaders of the HL since its inception. The Progressives included nations led by Battlion and Kingborough, followed by Zamonia and Millerainia. An argument arose over the mixture of the regional government and the respective national governments, with the Progressives wanting less interference in a nation's government, and the Stalwarts wanting the opposite.

This naturally led to the argument seen time and time again of national sovereignty. The issues rose one after the other, with the debates only heating up faster. The whole debacle culminated in the climactic Schism. Battlion, Kingborough, Zamonia, and Millerainia fled to Nysa, while Radiatia, Nui-ta, and Aazeronia left to Noctur.

This left nations such as Detectatia, Crata, and Faransia seemingly dazed and confused. The whole problem had gone by as if it were a gust of wind. Faransia eventually followed the Stalwarts and went to Noctur, leaving Detectatia and Crata to pick up the pieces, as Nui-ta and Aazeronia attempted to salvage the operation.

His Most Christian Majesty Louis XX of Faransia tried to take responsibility for the whole thing, stating that it was his nation's fault for the beginning of the split by requesting Battlion be removed from the Finance Council of the HL, a controversy which deeply polarized the region. He has given a public apology and is awaiting a response.
[signed]

His Most Christian Majesty Louis XX, King of Faransia
His Excellency Prime Minister Jean-Marc Ayrault

What if the French First Republic collapsed, but instead of the rise of Napoléon Bonaparte, the Bourbon Monarchy returned?
You unlock this door with the key of imagination. Beyond it is another dimension— a dimension of sound, a dimension of sight, a dimension of mind. You're moving into a land of both constitution and monarchy, of elections and heirs. You've just crossed over into the Kingdom of Faransia.
Tumblig' down Tumblr there's so much to see...
Conpatraia, my other nation (much more delved-into).

Loeitaria
Civil Servant

Founded: Jul 25, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Loeitaria » Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:34 pm

LOEITARIA BACKTRACKS ON JOINING THE HL

Mere days after the Court of magistrates passed a bill to join the Humanitarian League, the Court of Majesty in an emergency meeting vetoed the decision and broke off ties with the League.
Stefan Sigsi (Heisho of Keksmoin) was quoted as saying "The House of Magistrates acted rashly in joining the league, which included unsavoury elements detramentional to the Loeitarian way of life."
Prominent officals from the House of Magistrates responded with outcry and questioned why the Heisho in the Court of Majesty still has the power of Veto; "Those scumbag are only looking after themselves,they are afriad that joining with the Humanitarian League would force them to acknowledge the Alkan as equals! I call for the remove the Heisho's power of Veto!" - Leo Vfen, elected offical of Sidiv.

OCC: I realise when typing this that Loeitaria uses a lot of jargon people would be unfamiliar with so here is a quick run down:
The Court of Magistrates are the elected officals representing the people, the equilivent of the english house of commons.
The Court of Majesty is the equilivent of the english house of lords in the 1800's, still with the power of veto.
Heisho are nobles wholey comprised of the Ylei race.
Alkan is the Loeiarian word for every one not of Ylei descent, traditionally they had very little rights but this changed somewhat with the Alkan Convent.
Last edited by Loeitaria on Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Radiatia
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Radiatia » Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:55 am

"LOUIS XX NOT TO BLAME" SAYS LARSSEN
"HUMANITARIAN LEAGUE WAS A TICKING TIME BOMB"

XERCONIA
Prime Minister Soden Larssen has refused to accept the apology of Faransian King Louis XX - not out of spite, but out of belief that Faransia was not to blame for the schism.
The Prime Minister has stated that he does not believe Faransia was responsible
for the fall of the HL

"Upon reflection of the recent events it has become clear to me that the Humanitarian League was a ticking time bomb," Said the Prime Minister, when asked about his response to Louis XX. "Hindsight is a wonderful and terrible thing, but I see now that it was never going to work. The Faransians had a valid point, and the reaction against this was... well it wasn't how the HL was meant to work."

Mr. Larssen sounded like he was reading from a conspiracy theorist's textbook as he delivered a statement damning the organisation he had once fought to protect - an apparent change of stance that the opposition was quick to capitalise on.

"Soden Larssen has flip-flopped on the HL so much that he shouldn't even be giving these statements." Said Opposition Leader Luther Mikhailov. "He started out in politics calling the HL a waste of money, then he became its greatest supporter and now he tries to sound like he knew all along that it wouldn't work."

Most commentators believe that Radiatia's withdrawal from the league had very little to do with the crisis.

"The fact the HL was able to see Radiatia negotiate with Tuthina, and Crata negotiate with Welsh Cowboy shows that Radiatia could have easily ridden out the international events occuring." Said political analyst Dr. Boris Kahler. "The roots of Radiatia's anti-HL movement go far deeper, and are more to do with conspiracy theories perpetuated by the Radiatian Destiny Party than a reaction to international events.

"The fall of the HL and Radiatia's departure being timed so close are merely coincidental.

"Radiatia wasn't going to last there. The HL is a fundamentally left-wing organisation with views toward creating a regional government. Radiatia has enough problems keeping its states under the authority of the federal government, let alone a supranational union. And, although I wouldn't call Radiatia a right-wing country, we certainly haven't had a left-wing government for over 15 years."

Despite the schism, the Radiatian Federation remains on good terms with the remaining HL nations, with diplomatic relations with Faransia, Poldania and Aazeronia arguably at an all time high.

- RPNN

Nui-ta
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 11, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Nui-ta » Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:49 pm

A Three-Way Cut
An Event Being Called "The Schism" has cut the HL into three parts: Nysa, the Humanitarian League, and Noctur.

It was a nightmare. In the face of decreased leadership from Aazeronia, which was facing its own internal issues, a feud began over power. Two groups: the Stalwarts (who wanted to maintain the League's previous setup) and the Progressives (who wanted to reform the League), fought for control of the League before the organization finally broke into three parts.

The first group, Nysa, was headed by Battlion. The group was full of newer member-nations to the League who sought reform to the Charter.

The second group, headed by Aazeronia, sought a return to the original values and leadership of the league, and adamantly refused to reform the Charter. Nui-ta considers itself a part of this group.

The third schism was Radiatia's departure from the League: after being wronged by the Progressives. Radiatia has since promised cooperation with the stalwart-dominated Humanitarian League.

The League faces heavy reform, for no other reason than to prevent a second schism, and because the population of the League has greatly decreased.
Someone cares? Okay then. Economic Left/Right: -2.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.85

INFP-T personality, quite heavy on the I,P, and T.

Nui-ta
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Nui-ta » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:41 pm

"I Respectfully Disagree"

Prime Minister Evan Isaci responds to Prime Minister Soden Larssen's Latest Statement on the Fall of the HL.

Evan Isaci commented about Soden Larssen's statement last night.

"Let me first make it clear that I have a huge amount of respect, and nothing but respect, towards the Most Honorable Soden Larssen. I don't mean this statement as an attack on him or his nation in the slightest --- I'm merely expressing an opinion."

This was how Evan Isaci started off his statement to the NNN about Soden Larssen's comment that "the Humanitarian League was a ticking time bomb".

It was clear that Isaci, who is usually known for being one of Larssen's most vocal international supporters, was (for once) in total disagreement with Mr. Larssen.

"Firstly, I should note that while the HL is a fundamentally left-wing organization, it had no views towards creating a regional government until the Progressives arrived and set out to take over."

"The only instance I can name where the League as a whole could truly be seen as attempting to step in on national sovereignty would be the incident where the League put pressure on Crata to build up a military. While Radiatia was the hardest on Crata in that regard, cutting military aid, I may add, the other nations were largely in agreement with Radiatia's views that Crata should do its part to defend itself and the League. Nui-ta in particular was in agreement with Radiatia, probably more so than any other HL nation, if I dare say it."

"The other instances were not agreed to. While it is true that other nations in the League sought more regional control ---- those nations were met with opposition, left the League, and moved to Nysa. I cannot name one instance made by these nations that was supported by the current nations of the League. Not one."

"I move again to say that I respectfully disagree with my Radiatian counterpart, and that this statement is not meant as an attack on him whatsoever. I may even be in the wrong. Perhaps the Humanitarian League came across to Radiatia as too aggressive and I didn't see it."

"I also affirm Nui-ta's position that Radiatia is not to be condemned for leaving the League. The people of Radiatia pushed for the referendum, and they know what is best for them. This is what Radiatians want: no nation is justified in condemnation here. Whosoever condemns Radiatia condemns a nation's freedom."

"I personally still have a huge amount of steadfast faith in the HL. I believe that it needs reform, but can be fixed and return to its former glory. Nui-ta heavily considered leaving the HL and joining Noctur, but it was myself who wanted to stay with the HL. I still see potential."

"I will agree with Soden Larssen that King Louis XX should not apologize. Faransia was not to blame for the schism."

Evan Isaci even took a moment to defend Soden Larssen against the accusations of Radiatian Leader of the Opposition, Luther Mikhailov.

"I will admit that Soden did what is known as flip-flopping on an issue in the political realm, but the fact of the matter is that people do that from time to time. There are moments when a change in stance needs to be made --- when done in modderation and with caution, that's called being intelligent."

"And if Luther Mikhailov disagrees with changing stances on an issue, perhaps he would care to show me how he has never changed stances on an issue? Ever? Is he sure? Flip-flopping can be bad, but lying is much worse. If I were him, I would think this last statement over very carefully."

--- NNN, Noctur Press Association Division
Last edited by Nui-ta on Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Radiatia
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Radiatia » Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:17 am

TRAIYAN SILVIU RELEASES AUTOBIOGRAPHY
"MY BIGGEST BATTLE WAS NOT AGAINST COMMUNISM" REVEALS SILVIU

NORTHBANK CITY, ALAYENIA
Exalted Citizen Traiyan Silviu has made a rare public appearance, following the publication of his autobiography, "My War".
Former President, Exalted Citizen Traiyan Silviu has released his long
awaited autobiography

"I don't have much time left, and I owe it to the next generation that I make my memories publicly available to you all before they are lost forever," Said the 77 year old founder of the Radiatian Federation, who was diagnosed with early onset alzheimer's disease in LET 36. "I have a lot of regrets. There's a lot of dark parts, and things I'm ashamed of. But it would be dishonest of me to leave this world without telling anyone."

Indeed, the book paints a vivid, open and surprisingly dark image of a man so often venerated as the "Greatest Radiatian Who Ever Lived".

"Being great is not nearly as important as being good," Said Silviu. "And I only wish I had been the latter rather than the former."

The book revealed secrets such as Silviu's abuse of his now deceased ex-wife, Lyta Masham which drove apart the marriage, and detailed how he was an absentee father to his two sons, Keldon Silviu and Traiyan Silviu Jr.

"People call me the father of the nation, but I wasn't even a proper father to my own childen." Says one part of the book.

Silviu also revealed that his "Biggest Battle" was not against the forces of communism - for which is he widely known - but against a long-standing drug addiction, which plagued him from his army days, right through to the end of his career at R-SOD.

"Some of the things I did back then people thought I did because I was brave. Actually, I was high on cocaine." He wrote.

Silviu's drug addiction became public in LET 25, and led to the downfall of his political career, which saw Derro Vahnsehn replace him as President in LET 26.

Silviu's book also denied that he brought capitalism to Radiatia.

"I did not ever intend for Radiatia to become the capitalistic society it is today," Said the book. "I did not bring capitalism to Radiatia. I brought democracy to Radiatia, and the Radiatian people brought capitalism on themselves, through their own choices."

Silviu's book revealed that, in his private life, he has remained a committed socialist, and says he is "enamoured" by Marxism to this day.

"Radiatia was never communist. It was revisionist, it was totalitarian, it was oppressive, it was the exact opposite of what a communist state should be. I still dream of that. I still support communism as Karl Marx envisioned it, even though increasingly I am finding myself alone on that front."

The book also contains memories of Traiyan Silviu's days serving in R-SOD, including details about secret operations during the Isthmus War, and reveals that he supported Radiatia's brief involvement in the Humanitarian League.

Traiyan Silviu has also made it clear that he plans to be euthanised, rather than endure the full course of his alzheimer's disease.

"I've endured enough," He said when asked about this in our interview. "And I have instructed my nurse than when I am too far gone mentally, she is to euthanise me and put me out of my misery. I've lived a long life, I've done all I could possibly do and more. Frankly, I'm ready for death."

The book goes on sale next week, and pre-orders have already topped the bestseller list.

- RPNN

Nui-ta
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Nui-ta » Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:02 pm

We Hear Wedding Bells

Evan Isaci has announced that he and Maresha Clarton (Isaci?) have entered a civil union

Isaci and Clarton during a celebration at the end of the Holy Season, two months ago.

It was a very odd glimpse into the Prime Minister's private life today when the Prime Minister's office quietly announced that Evan Isaci and Maresha Clarton have entered into a civil union. Indeed, it was a move that has many in Nui-ta scratching their heads about what the Prime Minister plans to do with his life over the next few years.

Marriage for both heterosexual and homosexual couples is fully legal in Nui-ta, with the only conditions being that both parties express informed consent and are above the age of 16. This was very well the case for Isaci, 60, and Clarton, 30. Civil-unions, as a result, are almost unheard of in the Monarchy --- so the Prime Minister's decision to get one has turned some heads.

Amazingly, the NNN was able to get a short period of time to speak with the Prime Minister's spokesman, Alexi Rovison. The transcript of the interview (conducted over the phone) has been made available, and can be seen below.

NNN: Firstly, there are a lot of people who are wondering why the Prime Minister chose a civil union rather than a marriage. Not to say that it's upsetting, it's just unusual.

Rovison: The Prime Minister firstly understand that the whole debacle behind the civil union isn't one of opposition as much as it is confusion. Much of the Nui-tan public is happy for him --- they just don't completely understand what's going on and they want a better explanation. This is a country where civil unions aren't the norm because marriage is easily available for consenting adults. They are a rarity. He understands that most people didn't even know we had civil unions and although he's busy, he's more than happy to have me answer the public's questions on the matter.

There are a lot of personal factors weighing in on the Prime Minister's decision. I think the largest one is the huge age difference between the Prime Minister and his de facto spouse. The fact of the matter is that Mr. Isaci isn't a young man --- he's turning 61 very soon. Maresha, on the other hand, is only 30. Now imagine that 20 years down the road, gods forbid, the Prime Minister isn't around anymore. In a traditional marriage, Maresha Clarton would be left a widow at no older than 50, and it is very difficult for widows and widowers to have social lives, as one can see in our society. It isn't the done thing in Nui-ta for someone to marry again after they are widowed for at least a few years. I'm not saying the Prime Minister is going to die soon, gods forbid he should, but it's inevitable that she's not going to grow old with him. The civil union was largely for Maresha's benefit: she doesn't have the social ties on her that would otherwise inevitably be down the line.

NNN: But the Prime Minister comes from a liberal state, does he not? Marital laws are stricter in places like, say, Sangaur or Alinia, than Rahku, where both Isaci and Clarton are from. Social customs are also weaker. So why would this be a problem?

Rovison: Social customs and holds are weaker in Rahku State and the city, but that doesn't mean they don't exist. In some of the most rural areas of Alinia, I've personally seen widows and widowers who were literally shut-ins: they won't even come out of their house for long periods of time after they lose their spouse. That's unheard of in Rahku state, but it doesn't mean that there aren't still social codes around. Let's say Maresha decided to marry again, it would be much easier for her socially to do so under a civil union than under a traditional marriage. The fact of the matter is, the problem is still there.

NNN: That's understandable. On a less morbid note, why get married at all if they want to avoid social codes.

Rovison: That's an easy one, really. The fact of the matter is that when two people care for each other, that's what they tend to do is get married. Since a marriage had some social stigmas to it, Mr. Isaci and his wife just chose the next best thing.

NNN: I notice you referred to Maresha as his wife, despite them not being married on a technicality.

Rovison: See, I think that's the thing that really confuses people. People are accepting of Mr. Isaci's relationship with Maresha Clarton --- they just don't understand what to call her or how the relationship works. Is she his wife? Is she just his girlfriend? Is she his partner? What's going on.

Maresha is Isaci's wife in everything but a name, basically. She still has all the same privileges and responsibilities of a spouse, just as he does to her. They both still have to be mutually responsible to each other. They both are legally recognized as each other's next-of-kin. They can automatically inherit from each other, all that good stuff. If they decided to have a kid, the child would automatically be assumed to be the Prime Ministers unless a paternity test proved otherwise. The only thing missing in this union is a name change.

NNN: So what do we call her? Ms. Clarton? Mrs. Isaci? Ms. Isaci?

Rovison: She's his de facto wife, so you may as just well leave it at that. The couple haven't decided the specifics of any name changing yet. I do know that she's a Mrs. though, and if I had to guess, I'd put my money on a name change. I wouldn't be surprised if she gets called Mrs. Isaci from now on.

NNN: Another thing, you mentioned children?

Rovison: I know for a fact that he does not plan on having any children, because he's past 60 and doesn't want to be parenting teenagers while touching his 80's. Let's face it, sooner or later, he'll want to retire! I think the couple is considering adoption but they haven't reached a decision yet.

NNN: What about the actual civil union? Was anyone around for that?

Rovison: Oh no, it was a strictly private affair. Only close friends of the couple even knew it happened.
Last edited by Nui-ta on Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Radiatia
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Radiatia » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:12 am

NATIONAL SECURITY ACT PASSES FIRST READING
CIVIL RIGHTS ACTIVISTS ACCUSE GOVERNMENT OF "EMPIRE-BUILDING"

XERCONIA, FCT
The controversial National Security Act has today passed its first reading in the Federal Parliament. The bill will completely reorganise Radiatia's Armed Forces, and create Unified Combatant Commands in an attempt to end inter-service rivalry.
The controversial National Security Act - which aims to reorganise the defence forces - has passed its first reading

The bill has received strong opposition - including from the government's main coalition partner, the NLP, who opposed the bill on the grounds of the cost to taxpayers. The National Security Act may well see defence expenditure rise to 50% of the federal government's budget.

Civil rights activists also accused the government of trying to 'build an empire'.

"This isn't about modernising our defence forces! This is about creating an attack force!" Said one activist.

Many pacifist and civil rights groups highlighted plans for "strategic regional commands" - which activists are calling akin to "military imperialism".

The bill also caused controversy when an initial draft proposed that non-military personnel be excluded from being selected for the office of President. The government has since removed the clause.

The bill does however strip the President of direct command of the armed forces, and place it in the hands of the Federal Cabinet instead - giving the Federal Minister of Defence and the Prime Minister more power to directly command the military.

"I stand by this bill," Said Defence Minister Arkadi Pavlovic. "It increases the efficiency of our defence forces, it addresses fundamental problems with it, and it actually makes our military more democratic by giving parliament increased control over the military."

Civil rights groups have vowed to fight the bill "through every stage of its passage".

The bill was passed with support from the United Democrats, Radiatian Destiny Party and Communist Party.

- RPNN

Radiatia
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Radiatia » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:45 am

JENERI NAZUMI DIAGNOSED WITH CANCER
FORMER PRIME MINISTER REVEALS HE IS UNDERGOING CHEMOTHERAPY

EDDINGTON, XEGFAUSE
Former Prime Minister Jeneri Nazumi has revealed that he is undergoing chemotherapy, after being diagnosed with skin cancer.
Former PM Jeneri Nazumi has been diagnosed with skin cancer

The revelation came shortly after the inauguration of President Hiroshi Vodotel, where Nazumi was seen as the ceremony visibly in poor health.

"For the most part I chose to keep it private. But I suppose it was inevitable that the news would leak out," He said, keeping a smile on his face despite the news.

Jeneri Nazumi led the first - and thus far only - Workers Party government, from LET 18 until LET 26, making him the longest serving Prime Minister.

Since then he has lived in semi-retirement in his ranch in Xegfause, near the small village of Eddington.

"I don't know why I have cancer, and I don't like to speculate. It is what it is." He said, although he added his theories. "I do spend a lot of time out in the sun these days, so that could be it. Or it could be pollution. Who knows?"

Cancer is by far the largest killer in the Radiatian Federation, with 49% of deaths in the country being attributed to the disease.

Nazumi's doctors say he has a 50/50 chance of the chemotherapy being successful.

Prime Minister Soden Larssen says he was "shocked" to hear the news, and said that he wished for Nazumi's full recovery.

- RPNN

Nui-ta
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Nui-ta » Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:20 pm

Campaign Season Starts A Little Early

CRP Kicks Off A VERY Early Campaign

Being a new party that has no seats in Parliament, the CRP needs a huge amount of time to make itself known and get itself organized.

A CRP flag hangs outside of a house in Alinia.

Midterm elections alone are still 8 months away, with most sitting candidates in Parliament not bothering to campaign until the three-month mark (unless they are worried they won't hold their term). As for the A.N 114 Parliamentary Elections....so far, those are just a blip on the far horizon.

The CRP has announced that it has recruited several members across the nation for almost every district election who will be on the ticket. For the midterm elections, most are not expected to win the race --- but this midterm will show whether or not the CRP could have a political future as Nui-ta's "New Left".

Some of the more prominent members are Ultimus Renton, the outspoken leader of the Party and its founder. Eyes also remain on the man believed to be the internal brains behind the curtain, 28 year old Paolo Medici.

Although many were wondering whether or not there would be a power struggle between Renton and Medici, but that debate has largely been quelled by the announcement from the CRP that Ultimus Renton will be handling the party leadership, while Paolo Medici takes a roll as the party's spokesman for internal affairs.

Many other notable individuals have been named to spokesmen and spokeswomen spots on various subjects.

• Spokeswoman for Defense: Kiana Ivers, (former military officer serving in both Elite Corps and King's Guard ---- currently the wife of the Radiatian Ambassador to Nui-ta.
  • Spokesman for Foreign Affairs: Desden Haur ---- current delegate to the Humanitarian League
  • Spokeswoman for Education: Deniva Nevian ---- Daughter of war veteran and posthumous war veteran Colonel Hardel Nevian. Former student (and currently a teacher) at the Royal Academy.
  • Spokesman for Health: Grandin xi-Bailison, a medical school student at the University of Rahku.
  • Spokesman for Economics: Leon Drexiin --- former secretary of the Ministry of Economics.

The party is popular amongst racial minorities and colonist because it is largely composed of them, although it holds members of every class from the nobility down to mixed-class members. If all spokesmen and spokeswomen named were to gain backbench seats, Paolo Medici, Kiana Ivers, and Deniva Nevian would all be the first Hadinian colonists to ever reach Parliament. Desden Haur would be the first Tuvianic colonist to hold a high office. Ultimus Renton would be the first person of mixed-class origin to hold any public office at all.

The CRP is particularly popular in the states of Hephazi, Alinia, and Ocini: poorer areas of the nation with many colonists and mixed-class persons: conversely, the outlook for the state of Sangaur, which is predominantly nobility, is dismal, and many seats in Sangaur do not have CRP representatives running for those areas at all.

Hailing from Ocini, Paolo Medici is expected to have the most luck with elections. People were originally expecting Kiana Ivers to also do well at the polls, but were dismayed to discover that due to her current residency is in Rahku State rather than in Alinia, where she is originally from. Alinia has the strongest amount of support for the CRP, with over 60% of those surveyed stating that they would be willing to vote for the purple party. Her expectations for a district seat in Rahku State are lacking, but if the CRP gains enough seats --- she may find herself on the list seats.

Ultimus Renton is expected to be the only Rahku State delegate to have the possibility of winning a seat, due to his popularity for his involvement in the Propria Manu demonstrations.

Current political leaders have shown some interest in the development.

"I have to say that I am really intrigued with this group. I'm not a left wing man, but I think if I had to choose between seeing the CRP and seeing Leftist Party on the left side of Parliament, I would vote CRP." Prime Minister Evan Isaci told the NNN. Many suspect that this has a lot to do with Isaci's long standing rivalry with Leftist Party leader Gregor Imari.

"I really don't think they should win," said Leftist Party's Gregor Imari. "They claim to represent Nui-ta's left, but the fact of the matter is that they're a one-issue party. I don't think they have what it takes to adapt to the broad subject matter that Parliament addresses. They'll possibly do decent for one midterm election and then flop once people realize that everyone on that party has a one track mind."

Hendri ri-Denshir refused to comment, but Gold Party's leader: Iko o-Parzi, was outright damning.

"Half of the people in this party weren't even citizens when they were born? I think they'll be called out by the courts before they actually hit the ballot tickets."

He raises a valid point: Paolo Medici, Kiana Ivers, Desden Haur, and Deniva Hardel were all colonial citizens born outside of sovereign Nui-tan borders, but the case for their ability to serve in Parliament is that all four of them were still born in Nui-tan territories and were born under the Monarchy's jurisdiction, even if not within the proper borders of Nui-ta. The courts have yet to decide whether or not these spokesmen and spokeswomen can run. If they can't --- the CRP may just be a pipe dream.

---- NNN

Nui-ta
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Nui-ta » Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:31 am

The CRP Speaks: Part 1 --- Paolo Medici

Spokesman for Internal Affairs of the CRP Enlightens Nui-ta About Himself as Part of a Series on the Party's Major Players

The Class Reformation Party of Nui-ta has agreed to have its major players (the spokesmen and women of several key issues sit down with the NNN in a six part series.

The series will start with the party's spokesman on Internal Affairs: Paolo Medici, followed by Defense, Education, Foreign Affairs, Economics, Health, and finally, Party Leader Ultimus Renton.

Before sitting down with Medici and the others to conduct interviews, the NNN did its research and found out as much as it could about the backgrounds of each spokesperson.

Paolo Medici is a 28 year old former postulate (a temple worker). He currently lives in the small town of Kivian, in the state of Ocini. Originally, however, he hailed from the Hadinian village of Kiajara, Alin. Hadin was released from Nui-ta's control just over four years ago: Medici had already left Hadin by that time, having moved to Ocini after the Partition.

He is a single man, having taken an oath of celibacy which he continues to abide by even after leaving the temple that he used to work at.

Born a subject to the monarchy, he gained full-citizenship in A.N 109.

Paolo Medici

Medici's involvement with Ultimus and the Propria Manu protests began long before the actual A.N 110 demonstrations. The two met in A.N 106 while Ultimus Renton left Rahku to seek out work in Ocini.

"We met each other while he came in to visit the temple one day," Medici told the NNN. "One good conversation led to the next, and so forth. Coming from the lower classes, Renton and I were in total agreement that Nui-ta's class system is in serious need of reform. The Late Monarch Vincentius di-Amori III did a lot for Nui-ta's class system by ending apartheid and saving Nui-ta from being destroyed by civil war as class warfare raged across the country and its colonies, but the fact of the matter is, we really think he never got to do enough."

"I do not question the late Monarch's leadership abilities. I think he was one of the greatest Emperors the country and the world had ever seen. He simply didn't get the chance to do more."

Medici has been suspected, and has now confided to the NNN, that he is indeed considered the internal head of the party, even though he is running as Renton's Deputy.

"I wouldn't call Ultimus a figurehead. The man has done so much for this party. He has really gotten us out there. He is the human relations of the CRP, one might say. I make a lot of the internal decisions, but Ultimus is the one who has the stronger executive ability. One might compare him to the Monarchy's role in Nui-ta, and myself to Parliament."

Medici denied having strong connections with any of the other CRP members outside of the current political movement.

"Obviously, now that we're all working together, we have gotten to know each other and we have those political ties, but I don't have particularly close connections to any of the other spokesmen or spokeswomen. I will admit that I grew up with Defense Spokeswoman Kiana Ivers when I was young, but that was as a child. We had long since lost contact after the Partition, and the only reason I even found her was through the grapevine. It was chance that I recruited her, especially. A huge stroke of luck, but chance all the same."

Medici went on to detail his political views for Nui-ta as far as the department of Internal Affairs goes.

"I won't be so bold to attack or accuse the Ministry of Internal Affairs, nor will I berate the current Minister of Internal Affairs. I think Minister i-Harendo is extremely good at her job, and I'd be a complete fool to say that I aim to snatch her Minister-ship. I'm not on par with that woman. Not yet."

"That being said, I think the Ministry as a whole could be more useful. i-Harendo's move to reform the census was brilliant, and it was the springboard from which her political career really unfolded. The Ministry of Internal Affairs, however, is nothing more than a glorified statistician's bureau. It's only real jobs are to collect data on the Nui-tan populace so that Parliament can determine what needs to be done for the people at that time, and also to control ILOP so it doesn't get too errant."

"I will admit that I think ILOP is a tad over-powerful. I would not advocate cutting funding or dismantling the police force, but I do advocate regulations on it...and more importantly, transparency, which the police force does not have at all."

"I think that the Ministry of Internal Affairs as a whole could also do with gaining some more executive powers. It may be the eyes of Parliament, but it also needs a set of hands. I would push for greater executive power."

This ends our report on Paolo Medici. Our next part of the series will be focused on Defense.

--- NNN
Last edited by Nui-ta on Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Radiatia
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Radiatia » Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:50 am

NORTH CORPSHIRE BANS NUCLEAR POWER
FEDERAL GOVERNMENT THREATENS VETO

SHINARAKKU, NORTH CORPSHIRE
The State of North Corpshire has enacted legislation to ban nuclear power - causing an uproar from the federal government.
The State of North Corpshire has banned nuclear power, triggering a row with the federal government

The Nuclear Power Abolishment Act was passed by the North Corpshire State Legislature with a two vote majority, and signed into law by the state's increasingly controversial Premier, Zora Tavish.

"Nuclear power is dangerous man, and I want this state to be all about nature," She said.

North Corpshire is said to be the most environmentally friendly state in the Radiatian Federation, and has earned the nickname "The Hippy State".

However, the state's decisions are not sitting well with the federal government, who are threatening to overturn the law using rare constitutional powers.

"North Corpshire contains several large nuclear power stations, and shutting them down could plunge us into an energy crisis," Said Federal Minister of Energy, Takahiro Daskalov. "At this point the federal government may have to veto the legislation on the grounds of it negatively impacting other states in the federation."

However opposition groups have siezed on the government's plans to veto, and accused them of turning their back on state sovereignty.

"This is a party who have talked non stop about state rights and about the federal government strangling the rights of the states, and now they're hypocritical enough to do something which will directly interfere in the legislation of a state!" Said Opposition Leader Luther Mikhailov.

The constitution does grant the federal government the power to overturn laws made by state governments, although so far no government has chosen to exercise this power before.

The Prime Minister was not available for comment.

- RPNN

Nui-ta
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Nui-ta » Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:44 am

The CRP Speaks --- Part 2: Kiana Ivers

The CRP's Spokeswoman for Defense...Is She The Right-Wing of the CRP?

Originally hailing from Kiajara, Alin (the same hometown as Paolo Medici), Kiana Ivers seems like a typical Hadinian woman in almost every regard. The 24 year old woman dresses very conservatively. There is little to no embellishment on her clothing. She's wearing pants, which is unusual for a woman from the west, but understandable due to her military service.

Military service: the only unusual thing about such a woman. West of Rahku state, women in the military is downright unheard of, and almost every woman either lives the life of a housewife or works from home.

Ivers herself is "normal" in many regards. She has little formal education, and the brunt of it is her time at Rahku Military for Girls. Military school. The rest was at Lura Academy --- and the amount of time is absolutely astounding: only four years total at both schools. Coming from Hadin, she has a heavy Latin accent. Her blonde hair and trademark violet eyes emphasize the sheer amount of beauty that she commands. Outside of the military, she has known one other occupation: a housewife to a former Radiatian Minister. She's a mother at her young age, with a three month old baby at home. Her husband, on the other hand, is almost twice her age.

Despite this, in a strange way, Ivers is something of a genius and an oddity. She speaks four languages fluently (Melodian, Latin, English, and Radiatian), and can write in all four as well. She passed her NSETS at age 16 despite having almost no formal education. She's a physically and mentally strong woman --- able to spar with men twice her size in height and weight and win without batting an eyelash.

Kiana Ivers

There is also a strange strength to her: something that isn't seen in most conservative Alinian women. She stands on her own two legs as she speaks and makes it clear immediately that she isn't afraid to speak her mind.

This is critical considering that out of all the spokesmen and spokeswomen in the CRP, Ivers is easily the most right-wing. In direct contrast to Paolo Medici, Ivers advocates that ILOP retain the powers it already has.

"I can easily say that I believe security is one of the most important things Nui-ta can invest in. I am not one of those far-right warmongers that states that we must go out and impose our control on other nations. Despite being a colonist, I do not believe in colonialism, although I leave it to the remaining colonies of Nui-ta as to whether or not they seek independence or to continue under Nui-ta's rule."

"I know it may seem hard to believe, but I consider myself largely in alignment with the military views of the current Minister of Defense, Hendri ri-Denshir."

"I think he is a man who is fully dedicated to the military, and that makes him one of the most respectable men I have ever met, even though I disagree with him on many other issues and would thus make a terrible Derch Party candidiate."

"I think that anyone who takes on the issue of Defense should be able to be fully dedicated to the military. I personally was a Cadet at age 11, and serving as a combat-ready soldier by 14. I served in the Partition and I served in the Hadinian War. I also have experience with the King's Guard and have served as an attachee at the military base in Xerconia FCT. If it weren't for the fact that I'm a new mother...I'd probably still be looking at wearing a uniform."

"I am not a gun-happy idiot. I think that diplomacy is a peaceful shield to use during Defense, and I wish for all efforts to be made to ensure that we can solve things diplomatically. A gun isn't the best way to do things, and in a perfect world, I would dismantle the army completely."

"But we don't live in a perfect world. This is a world where you must be kind but firm. This is a world where you must seek to solve problems diplomatically, but understand that it doesn't hurt to keep military muscles to ensure order. The military is very much like a self-defense weapon: you never want to use it, and hopefully you never have to, but you should always have one and keep it in the best condition as possible, because if you do need it, you are really going to need it."

"The same goes for ILOP, although not part of the military and not part of my portfolio. ILOP serves a similar purpose. I will admit that I wish they were transparent, but if that diminishes their performance, it should not be done. Nui-ta has some of the lowest crime rates in the League, in Noctur, and in the world. This is how you know that ILOP is doing a good job."

"We also need a military to ensure that our allies are protected as well. Nui-ta should be a humble but selfless nation. We should never boast about our forces to our allies or seek to control them, but at that same time, we should always be there to give them a hand. You cannot attack the League without arousing Nui-ta, nor can you attack our non-League allies without awakening our duty to defend them."

"And you cannot attack Nui-ta in any way, shape, or form, without arousing the appropriate measures that will happen. All Nui-tans, from a baron in Sangaur to a nomadic Tuvianic colonist out in the west. I stand for everyone when I say that I support the defense of this nation by whatever means necessary."

"Honestly I sound like a broken record on the matter, but that is what I feel."

---- NNN

ArghNeedAName
Minister

Founded: Feb 17, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby ArghNeedAName » Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:54 am

BACON TO RETIRE TO BACKBENCHES AFTER NEXT FEDERAL ELECTION
Prime Minister to resign as Labour Party leader

Prime Minister Tony Bacon announced at a press conference today that he will not seek a fourth term and will retire to the backbenches.

I have decided that after ten years in office, I will retire from frontline politics and will step down as leader of the Labour Party for the campaign in the upcoming federal election. I plan to continue to represent Oteil, my hometown, for at least one more parliamentary term and will remain in Merstham Manor [the Prime Minister's office] until the formation of the next government.

It will be the first time in 14 years that neither of the two main parties are being led by an incumbent Prime Minister and both will hold leadership elections for their candidate. The Reformist Party is currently led by David Lesley, who has already stated he would not run for Prime Minister a second time. The Green Party are also holding an open leadership election.

The announcement has not been considered a surprise. The Prime Minister's approval rating is currently a record low of 42% due to the current recession and Labour are currently polling only 22% of the vote, seven points behind the Reformists. Prior to the announcement, 66% of voters believed Bacon should not run for a fourth term (Source: Linton Polls) though only 14% believed he should resign immediately. After serving for 10 years, Bacon will become ArghNeedAName's joint-second-longest serving Prime Minister, after Joseph Caterham (12 years) and on par with Michael Bentliff (10 years).

Immediately, Defence Minister Robert Michaelson and Health Minister Patrick Leroy both announced their candidacies for party leadership, with more to potentially follow. Bacon has not pledged to officially support anyone, but Michaelson has already won backing from former Prime Minister Bill Gurr and so far appears to be the favourite to win. A poll showed that so far Michaelson is favoured by 60% of voters to Leroy's 40%. However, when asked which candidate was more trusted on economic issues, Leroy was more trusted by 64%-36%. It was also found that 30% of voters were "not satisfied" by either candidate and more candidates will almost certainly emerge.

Meanwhile, the Green Party leadership campaign is in full swing with four candidates. However, Communities Minister Sarah Wood is slated to win by a landslide, being favoured by 55% of voters and benefiting by her current standing in the government. In a distant second place is James Kelly, a former Minister of Education, who is favoured by 20% of voters.

The Reformist Party contest may be much less predictable. So far, three candidates have joined the race. So far, Michael Barton from the party's pro-business wing is leading, polling 40% of the vote. The former Governor of Hoelland is the best at winning over swing voters, but he is hampered by his unsuccessful stint at leader of the Reformists six years ago. Mark Robinson, a former Governor of Chirmland, is polling 34%, representing the party's more social conservative and Christian support base. Former Education Minister Joan Guiseley is polling 26% of the vote and comes from the more hardline fiscal conservative ranks.

All three parties have a run-off system where the top two candidates face each other off in a second round. The exception is if one candidate wins the majority of the vote on the first round or wins by a 20-point margin.

So what's happening in the other parties? The CDP, PDV and Socialists are expected to reelect their respective leaders Helen Baker, David Gellert and Walter Spencer without any serious challenge. The newly-formed Liberal Party, formed by the merger of the Free Republic Party and Party for Freedom, will most likely elect Martin Lubbers as their leader, but alternative candidates may yet emerge.
President: Malcolm Whitacre
Prime Minister: Mark Robinson
Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Foreign Affairs: Michael Barton
1 (Ignore) - 2 (Grumble) - 3 (Threaten) - 4 (Invade) - 5 (Lose)
United Provinces of ArghNeedAName (Note the change!)
Adjective: ArghNeedANamic; Demonym: ArghNeedANamer
Wiki Page Constitution Glossary Hansard
RP Population: 104 million
Embassy program now still open!
Interested in creating a parliamentary diagram? View my guide here!

Radiatia
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Radiatia » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:53 pm

RADIATIAN SCIENTISTS INVENT "TORTURE PILL"
CIVIL RIGHTS ACTIVISTS CALL FOR ITS IMMEDIATE BAN

August 7th LET 39 Last updated 20:58 Exegrad Standard Time
ImageImageImageImage

KUREI, TCHORT
Scientists at Tchort State University have controversially developed a torture drug.
Scientists have invented a controversial torture pill

The drug, which was tested on a convicted criminal after years of animal testing, apparently triggers all pain receptors in the body at once, causing the victim so much agony that eventually it kills them.

"I've created a monster," Said the project's chief scientist, Dr. Jonatan Larenz. "I wish I could say I'm proud of this but... what have I done?"

Civil rights activists staged a large protest outside of the university, while the opposition is urging the government to ban the pill.

"This violates every code of ethics ever written," Said Opposition Leader Luther Mikhailov. "Animal testing? Torturing someone to death for science? The project should have been scrapped a long time ago, and the results of the experiment should be destroyed and the pill banned. I implore the government to do so."

The Greens Party were even more damning.

"Considering how much talent we clearly have in our scientific community, why are our scientists not working on cures for diseases or hunger?" Said Greens Leader Lukas Matic. "Instead we constantly work on bombs, guns, killing machines and ways to harm people. This is absolutely disgusting."

The Federal Ministry of Defence, and R-SOD have both issued statements categorically denying that they funded the project.

Federal Minister of Law and Order Maynard Yordanov declined to comment when asked if the pill would be used on convicted criminals.

The government have not yet confirmed whether or not they will ban the pill, however several backbench Conservative MPs have indicated that they would vote in favour of a bill banning the pill, if put forward by the opposition.

The Workers Party, Greens, United Democrats and Communist Party have all vowed that they intend to ban the pill, and Luther Mikhailov has stated he is drafting a private members bill regarding it.

- RPNN

© LET 39 Radiatian People's News Network, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
RPNN is not responsible for the content of external sites.

Mobile Site | Advertise With Us | Ad Choices | Terms of Use | Privacy | Cookies | About the RPNN | RPNN Help | Accessibility Help | Contact Us
Last edited by Radiatia on Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:00 am, edited 4 times in total.

Faransia
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Faransia » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:11 pm

ELECTION MONTH IN FARANSIA
PS AND UMP SQUARE OFF IN ASSEMBLY ELECTIONS

It is time for the biennial elections to occur in Faransia again. We were put in this same situation back in February of this year, but back then the Union for a Popular Movement (UMP) was in power. When austerity was imposed on people all over the region, Faransia decided that they didn't like those economics. The Socialist Party (PS) swept the government and everyone in the region was shocked. Never before had such an astounding change occurred in a government election.

UMP leader François Fillon pictured here, in front of the UMP logo

This time around, however, it is unsure which direction the tables will turn. Faransia has not seen much economic growth, although welfare and education spending has gone up. MP François Fillon, leader of the UMP and former Prime Minister, is trying to regain support for his conservative party by touting the slight economic growth during his tenure as Prime Minister. But do his statements really hold up?

In the early 2000s, the UMP took the government from the PS, and with that cut spending and deregulated the banking industry, among other industries. Economic growth shot up after that, solidifying the UMP power hold in the National Assembly.

But then, last year, the Humanitarian League (HL) entered into an economic downturn, and that also hit Faransia. The UMP-controlled National Assembly struggled to keep up the GDP growth, using methods such as lowering taxes and imposing austerity.

When the economy responded opposite to their expectations, voters decided to vote the majority of the UMP Assembly members out of office. François Fillon had lost his majority, and Jean-Marc Ayrault, leader of the PS, was named Prime Minister. For the first time in nearly a decade the PS had gained a majority in the National Assembly.

The PS and their new supermajority immediately raised welfare and government spending, bailing out multiple companies and doing whatever possible to keep job rates up and unemployment down. The economy stopped its downward spiral, but did not start going up.

PS legislators expected their actions to lead to economic growth, but to no avail. The downward spiral that began under the UMP flattened out, but it did not bounce back up. The UMP capitalized on this opportunity, saying they knew that it was only a matter of time before their ideas worked, and that the PS only interrupted their work.

Now, the voters of Faransia have to choose between the seemingly inefficient Socialist Party and the Union for a Popular Movement party that led them into this economic instability.
Last edited by Faransia on Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
[signed]

What if the French First Republic collapsed, but instead of the rise of Napoléon Bonaparte, the Bourbon Monarchy returned?
You unlock this door with the key of imagination. Beyond it is another dimension— a dimension of sound, a dimension of sight, a dimension of mind. You're moving into a land of both constitution and monarchy, of elections and heirs. You've just crossed over into the Kingdom of Faransia.

ArghNeedAName
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby ArghNeedAName » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:31 am

PLANS TO JOIN THE HUMANITARIAN LEAGUE PUT ON HOLD
Membership talks stopped cold by recent schism

Foreign Minister Bill Baxter (Greens-AM), who is currently recovering from a cycling accident, has said that the Bacon Cabinet has temporarily shelved plans to join the Humanitarian League. At a press conference, dressed in a sling bandage, he stated that:

ArghNeedAName has been planning to join the Humanitarian League and we have been holding talks with the Chancellor of Aazeronia for some time, as you know. We hoped to do it during the duration of the Bacon III Cabinet. However, the recent turn of events, with the split of NYSA and the departure of Radiatia has dramatically altered the Humanitarian League into a different organisation than the one we have been planning to join. The Cabinet have decided that ArghNeedAName should 'wait for the smoke to clear' and for the new Humanitarian League to take shape. We also believe we should wait until after the next federal election so that ascension to the Humanitarian League will have a mandate - though we can also hold a referendum.

He added that he maintained his support for Humanitarian League membership.

The Green Party have strongly supported joining the Humanitarian League and plan to campaign for it in the election, though I won't be leading them into it. The Prime Minister also personally supports membership, though the Labour Party are electing a new leader and we don't know what their new policies will be. We agreed though that we should wait because we want to see if the Humanitarian League will survive the split in the long run.

The Party of Democratic Values and the Liberal Party both oppose membership to the Humanitarian League, arguing it will lead to loss of sovereignity. The Christian Democratic Party supports joining it, but wants a referendum. The Reformists and Socialists have not yet taken an official position. In the Reformists' leadership election, Michael Barton has campaigned in favour of joining the HL, while Mark Robinson stated that he is moderately opposed:

I don't think ArghNeedAName should join the Humanitarian League. I believe we should take a more bilateral approach to diplomacy as a means to advance our relations. I also believe that is more important to develop our relations with Radiatia. If a referendum were to be held on HL membership, I would campaign for a 'No' vote but if a clear majority of voters want to join, I would accept their decision.

Baxter broke a collar bone last week while cycling in the Embassy District. When forced to stop suddenly at a road crossing, he pulled the front brake by accident and was thrown over the handlebars onto the tarmac. He wore his arm in a sling at the conference and assured that he was now able to return to his job.

On the subject of the Radiatian Green Party, he said that:

We believe that we should support the Radiatian Green Party in their campaigns. Radiatia has enormous problems with pollution and environmental damage and it is pleasing that a new political movement has emerged to tackle it. However, the Radiatian Greens need to be more pragmatic in order to gain ground. For example, the fact they're trying to immediate shut down nuclear power stations in North Corpshire is very irresponsible, as it will cut off 5 Gigawatts worth of power from the Radiatian grid. The ArghNeedANamic Green Party believes that nuclear power should be phased out within the space of 10-15 years, but without causing energy crises in the process. Some of the other legislation they've passed in North Corpshire has made me cringe.

The Foreign Minister said that the "torture pill" recently invented in Radiatia will be "banned immediately".
Last edited by ArghNeedAName on Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

Nui-ta
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Nui-ta » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:35 pm

Resignation

Prime Minister Evan Isaci To Leave Office --- Citing Health

"My fellow Nui-tans, it is with great sorrow that I confess to you today that I am no longer fit to hold office."

These were the words that began Prime Minister Evan Isaci's televised speech in Central Rahku.

"I have recently learned that I am suffering from heart failure. The fact of the matter is simply that I am slowly weaking and will soon no longer have what it takes to run this wonderful country."

"Heart failure is fairly slow. I don't have much in the way for my chances of survival, and to tell all of you the truth, I am not surprised. I am shocked, but understanding that my time in this Earth is coming to a close."

"I have gained permission to continue serving in Parliament until the A.N 114 elections or until my health takes a turn for the worst, whichever comes first."

"I havw yet to name a successor for Central Party but I am confident that they will be someone who the party could benefit from."

"I will also work to finish a few key events before leaving, such as a joint military exercise with out soldiers and Radiatian soldiers as a show of respect and alliance for the 5 year FTA agreement."

"All that matters now is seeing this through to the end."

--- NNN

Radiatia
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Radiatia » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:16 am

RADIATIA AND NUI-TA TO HOLD JOINT MILITARY EXERCISE
"NUI-RA" WAR GAMES TO BE LARGEST JOINT MILITARY DRILL IN NOCTUR HISTORY

MIZNEO, GYANBERK
Radiatia and Nui-ta have confirmed that they will be holding the largest joint military exercise in Noctur history, an exercise codenamed as "Nui-Ra".
A Radiatian soldier (left) with a Nui-tan soldier (right) as they prepare for the joint exercise

More than 200,000 troops from all branches of both nations are to take part in the exercises, which will last for 10 days across three theaters of operation. The RFA and the Nui-tan Army will both be excercising in the Radiatian State of Gyanberk, along with the RFAF and Nui-tan Air Force.

The RFSF and Nui-tan Navy will be conducting operations off the coast of Nui-ta, while the RSEF and Nui-tan Elite Corps will be embarking on a training mission in the jungles of Hephazi, Nui-ta, an area known as "Restricted Biome H".

The main focus of the war games will actually be region-wide defence, with the Radiatian Federation and Nui-ta both ranking as having the best equipped defence forces in the region.

"In the past military strategy has focussed on nations within Noctur, and of conflicts within the region," Said Radiatian Defence Minister Arkadi Pavlovic. "However these days we need to band together in order to ensure we aren't threatened by greater and more hostile powers from beyond the region."

The Nui-Ra exercises are being held on the anniversary of the Nui-ta-Radiatia Free Trade and Defence Pact which was signed 5 years ago and has seen the two nations become very close allies. The Federal Ministry of Defence has repotedly requested of the Nui-tan government that Restricted Biome H be made available in future for RSEF training purposes.

In Radiatia, Nui-tan troops will be given the opportunity to use Radiatian equipment, including Radiatian Main Battle Tanks (MBTs) during the exercises in Gyanberk.

Likewise, aging RFSF Frigates are to be used as target practice for the Nui-tan Air Force and Navy.

The Nui-Ra games are not the only war games planned by the Radiatian Federation, with the government planning to involve other nations in future joint military exercises.

The government has suggested the formation of the Noctur Defence Treaty Organisation to replace the increasingly defunct Humanitarian League Council of Defence, with the government hoping to involve itself in similar joint exercises with other allies such as ArghNeedAName, Poldania, Aazeronia and Detectatia.

- RPNN
Last edited by Radiatia on Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

ArghNeedAName
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby ArghNeedAName » Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:17 am

PRESIDENT SUPPORTS NOCTUR DEFENCE ALLIANCE
"We need a unifying organisation and structure"

President Malcolm Whitacre today stated that he strongly supported the creation of a multilateral defensive alliance in the Noctur region, joining several key figures in both the government and opposition in supporting the proposal.

We have cooperated well with our allies such as Radiatia in ensuring the safety of the region, but I am convinced now that we need a unifying organisation and structure in order to allow cooperation for defence. This is why I agree to the proposals to create a "Noctur Defence Treaty Organisation". I think it would help bring stability and strong relations to our region. There is a risk of increased tension with Tuthina and potentially other countries, but I don't think there's a real risk of sliding back into the previous situation. I would also support having joint military exercises with our allies.

So far Defence Minister Robert Michaelson and Interior Minister Helen Baker have both voiced support for joining a multilateral alliance. The Prime Minister has said that "the government is in the process of investigating and considering options for regional defence and stability". In the Reformist Party, both Michael Barton and Mark Robinson have voiced support for a treaty organisation, while Guiseley opposed it. Barton stated that:

In the past the Humanitarian League Defence Council sort of served this purpose and we ourselves used it as a line of communication with our allies. Since the "Rexit" it is now apparent that it cannot serve this purpose. This is why we suggest taking a new and stronger step and that this time, we should be part of it.

The office of President of ArghNeedAName has relatively limited powers except for foreign policy, where he shares power with the Cabinet. His powers include to command the Armed Forces, sign treaties and appoint ambassadors, though the Senate has checks over these powers. Recently, the Reformist Party proposed that ArghNeedAName's relations wtih the Noctur region should become the entire responsibility of the Cabinet. The Labour Party rejected the proposal, accusing them of trying to take away powers from the president simply because the incumbent president comes from the opposite party.

Martin Lubbers said the Liberal Party believed that the alliance was "the right idea for the wrong countries" though said he did support being allied with Radiatia. David Gellert said that the Party of Democratic Values also opposed joining such an alliance.
I don't agree with the government's plans to join the Humanitarian League or a Noctur defensive alliance. I believe ArghNeedAName's foreign policy would be more effective if we were not bound to commitments. Given a choice between the two I would rather join the defensive alliance, since the limits of its powers are more clearly defined.
Last edited by ArghNeedAName on Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Radiatia
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Radiatia » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:54 am

CONTROVERSIAL HEALTHCARE REFORMS GIVEN GREEN LIGHT
OPPOSITION ACCUSES GOVERNMENT OF ATTEMPTING TO PRIVATISE FHS

XERCONIA, FCT
The controverisal "Healthcare and Funding Bill" has today passed its first reading in the Federal Parliament, following an extended debate.
Federal Minister of Health, Tony Randall, has denied that the government intends to privatise the FHS

The bill passed its first reading 440 votes to 321, with the Radiatian Destiny Party choosing to abstain.

The Conservatives and the NLP were the only parties to support the bill, which the Workers Party referred to as a "covert attempt to privatise the Federal Health Service."

The bill has two main clauses. The first is the creation of a wholly private health insurance and healthcare provider, to be named the "Radiatian Private Healthcare Providers, or RPHP. The RPHP is designed as a means of creating competition for the FHS, and allowing citizens who can afford to, or who have private health insurance, to be able to skip the long waiting lines.

"The constitution guarantees the right to free healthcare, and yet by having a single, government run health service we are seeing people dying while on waiting lists," Said Federal Minister of Health, Tony Randall.

The second - and more controversial clause - which was added into the bill by the NLP as part of their confidence and supply agreement, was that the FHS would no longer be a single-payer healthcare system, with a new compulsory health insurance scheme to be introduced to replace the FHS tax.

Likewise, the FHS would no longer be regulated directly by the Federal Ministry of Health, but would be run by competing private companies under a federal government voucher system, much the same way that military procurement works.

It is this which has drawn criticism from the opposition, with Workers Party MP Atamas Huemi saying that the bill "will only benefit corporations and oligarchs, at the expense of everybody else."

Likewise, United Democrats MP Adelle Ruskin - the previous Federal Minister of Health - called the bill "utterly illogical."

"Healthcare is not a fungible good. Competition cannot assure quality, because you can't create true market competition in the industry. That's why it needs to remain a government-owned monopoly."

The opposition have also referred to the Prime Minister's controversial statements that he made in LET 32, when he said that the FHS would be "gone by lunchtime" if he was elected.

When he appeared on a breakfast talk show, Prime Minister Soden Larssen deflected questions regarding his comments and said that the bill "was not a privatisation of the FHS. Simply a modernisation to get it out of the hands of bureaucrats and into the business of actually providing healthcare."

The Radiatian Medical Association has expressed "grave doubts" about the planned reforms and has stated that it will not rule out protesting against the legislation should "significant amendments" not be made.

- RPNN

Faransia
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Faransia » Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:19 pm

AYRAULT BASHES RADIATIAN HEALTHCARE REFORM
SIDES WITH GOVERNMENT OPPOSITION
Prime Minister Ayrault disagrees with the recent healthcare reform made in the
Radiatian Federal Parliament.

PARIS, ÎLE-DE-FARANSIE, FARANSIA Prime Minister Jean-Marc Ayrault was in a press conference today with the other members and leaders of the Parti socialiste, laying out their plans to the public for the upcoming elections, presumably to create an aura of transparency around them. The end of the questions consummated in a shift from domestic policy questions to questions about foreign affairs.

A reporter from VRT News asked Ayrault directly, "Prime Minister Ayrault, what is your opinion on the recent healthcare reform law passed in the Radiatian Federal Assembly [sic]? Critics say it could end up privatizing the entire industry."

Ayrault responded,
As we have stated before, the Socialist Party is completely opposed to any attempt at privatizing the healthcare industry. Since the modern universal healthcare system was introduced under Prime Minister Jospin, we have been rated by numerous non-biased foreign research groups that say we have the best overall healthcare system in the world.

So, yes. Studies and evidence show that government-controlled healthcare is superior to privatized healthcare. The people deserve to be treated equally by their healthcare provider, not judged upon by their wealth. We agree with the Workers' Party in Radiatia, if this legislation leads to more-privatized healthcare, it could be terrible for the Radiatian people.

There has not been response thus far from UMP officials and representatives, although they are expected to sit this debate out for the time being, as Faransians favor the current healthcare system in the country.

This response to the Radiatian legislation appears to be giving Ayrault and the Socialists a boost in the polls, so some strategists are saying that Ayrault is attacking the Radiatian Conservatives' healthcare plan for the sake of solidifying his place as Prime Minister.
[signed]

Radiatia
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Radiatia » Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:06 am

RADIATIA COMMISSIONS FIFTH AIRCRAFT CARRIER
RFS DERRO VAHNSEHN PUTS RFSF EN ROUTE TO BEING A BLUE WATER NAVY

KIKEN, CHONGLUNTZ
The Radiatian Federal Sea Force has commissioned its fifth nuclear powered aircraft carrier, in a ceremony in southwestern Chongluntz.
Derro Vahnsehn walks aboard his namesake at the commissioning ceremony.

Radiatia's newest aircraft carrier, CVN-5 has been christened the RFS Derro Vahnsehn, and puts the Radiatian Federal Sea Force another step closer to achieving its blue-water navy ambitions.

The carrier is over 330m long, weighs over 101,000 long tons and is to have a crew of over 5000 people. It is the second of Radiatia's new Traiyan Silviu-class nuclear powered supercarriers. The ship was built by Fukuyama Shipwrights, based in Kiken, Chongluntz.

Five other Traiyan Silviu-class supercarriers are scheduled for delivery over the next few years, as part of the "Ten Carriers in Ten Years" plan begun by United Democrats Defence Minister Feodor Schindler.

As with seemingly all aspects of Derro Vahnsehn's life, the aircraft carrier has already attracted controversy - with Shadow Minister of Defence Leon Peyton criticising the RFSF for choosing to name the ship after Derro Vahnsehn.

"To name a ship after someone who is currently a member of parliament will surely create some sort of political bias," Said Peyton. "Furthermore, Derro Vahnsehn had no connections to the navy, and he's someone who has been controversial for all the wrong reasons."

However, an RFSF spokesperson said that Vahnsehn's parliamentary career as leader of the far right Radiatian Destiny Party had no bearing on the decision to name the carrier after him - rather the decision was based on Vahnsehn's term as President between LET 26 and LET 31.

"We're sticking with a Presidents theme. The last one was named after Traiyan Silviu. This one is being named after Derro Vahnsehn." Said the spokesperson, who revealed that the next carrier, CVN-6, is being tentatively titled the "RFS Yerkal Nathus".

Many people have come forward supporting the choice of name.

"The name suits it perfectly," Said one man, who was present at the ceremony. "It's a big machine designed to kill foreigners - I mean, if that doesn't sound like Derro Vahnsehn to you, I don't know what does!"

"I have no problem with the ship's name," Said Defence Minister Arkadi Pavlovic at the commissioning ceremony. "I can't help but feel that it will strike fear into the hearts of our enemies should they find out that Derro Vahnsehn has been sighted off shore!"

Derro Vahnsehn himself was present to give the ship's first orders, "Man her up and bring her to life."

Mr. Vahnsehn said it was an "absolute honour" to have the aircraft carrier named after him.

"It will be nice to know that even when I die, I will live on via this ship and continue to defend our federation from attack."

The former President's boost in media exposure has not however managed to boost the ratings of his Radiatian Destiny Party - with the party now trailing on a record low 2% of public support - below the Greens who are on 3%.

Polls show that if an election were held today, the Radiatian Destiny Party would be unlikely to gain a single seat.

In other news, the Federal Minister of Health, Tony Randall, has stated that he "welcomes" the views of the Faransian government on the government's proposed healthcare reforms. "We will be receiving submissions on the bill shortly and I strongly advice those in Faransia who have strong views on the bill to put their thoughts forward for consideration."

The Minister has stated that the government "will not go into these reforms lightly" and has pledged that he plans to "listen to everyone and be as democratic as possible about this."

- RPNN

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Factbooks and National Information