NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] In Regards to Cloning

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.
Mahaj WA Seat
Minister

Founded: Nov 03, 2010
Ex-Nation

[PASSED] In Regards to Cloning

Postby Mahaj WA Seat » Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:01 pm

Category: Human Rights
Strength: Mild

DEFINES cloning as 'the creation of an organism that is an exact genetic copy of another'
DEFINES clone as 'the organism that is an exact genetic copy of another'

RECOGNIZES the risk of cloning mistakes,
URGES nations to take steps to prevent cloning mishaps,
REQUIRES that cloning only be done by trained professionals,
DECLARES that nations cannot classify sentient sapient clones as their own legal class,
REQUIRES sapient clones in member nations be extended all the legal rights, privileges, and opportunities granted to their genetically identical counterparts,
DECLARES that clones cannot be used for the purpose of or as part of a violation of other GA resolutions,
AFFIRMS the right of nations to pursue cloning of sapient beings,
PRESERVES the right of nations to illegalize such cloning in that nation,
REMINDS that nations are allowed to enact further legislation in regards to clones, so long as it does not violate this act.
Co-authored by [nation=short]Cool Egg Sandwich[/nation]

DEFINES cloning as 'the creation of an organism that is an exact genetic copy of another'

DECLARES that nations cannot classify sentient sapient clones as their own class,
REQUIRES nations to treat clones as they would any other person of their nation,
DECLARES that clones cannot be used for the purpose of or as part of a violation of other GA resolutions,
REMINDS that nations are allowed to enact further legislation in regards to clones, so long as it does not violate this act.

I was looking at this, and it seems like a lot of the 'ethical' objections to cloning are purely based on religious bases, something i'm not going to deal with in a resolution on an international scale, which is, of course, the scale of the WA.

Keep in mind cloning is legal as per GA #126

The World Assembly,

REQUIRES nations to treat clones as they would any other person of their nation,

Thoughts about this? A rather short, simple draft in regards to cloning that doesn't do a terribly large amount, but does some nice stuff.

MODEDIT: At Vote debate begins here.
Last edited by Sedgistan on Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:25 am, edited 10 times in total.
Member of The South and Osiris
Representing Mahaj in the World Assembly.
The Mahaj Factbook.

Author of Missing Minors Act (Repealed) and In Regards to Cloning
Mike the Progressive wrote:
Brogavia wrote:Fuck bitches, get money.
You shall be my god.

Georgism wrote:Fuck off you cunt, I'm always nice.

NERVUN wrote:Yog zap!

Cool Egg Sandwich wrote:I am the Urinater..... I'll be back.

Jedi Utopians wrote:5) Now, saying that a nation couldn't be part of OPEC would be bold. AIPEC sounds like something you'd want to get checked out by a physician for.

Cool Egg Sandwich
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 04, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Cool Egg Sandwich » Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:16 pm

Mahaj WA Seat wrote:Category: Human Rights

The World Assembly,

Thoughts about this? A rather short, simple draft in regards to cloning that doesn't do a terribly large amount, but does some nice stuff.

Hmm, I can see a couple things that I might take offense to.

URGES nations to take steps to prevent cloning mishaps

What, exactly do you mean by 'cloning mishaps?' We would need to have clarification on this subject until we can declare support/opposition.

REQUIRES nations to treat clones as they would any other person of their nation

According to this clause, nations would be required to treat all clones as they would any other person, even if the clone in question isn't human/sapient, or the like.

Finally, wouldn't clones of humans/sapient creatures be given the rights guaranteed to those creatures due to their biological/genetic characteristics? What I mean is, since those "clones" are biologically human/sapient wouldn't legislation protecting them be redundant?

Rgds.,
Mr. Mickey Darke,
Ambassador to the World Assembly from Cool Egg Sandwich

WA Delegate from The Dirty South
Phish phan and Student of History
Member of NatSov 2.0
Author
: GAR #139, GAR #152 (Repeal)

Mahaj WA Seat
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Mahaj WA Seat » Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:58 pm

True...

I'm not entirely sure a legislation on cloning would be appropriate...perhaps something about the actual creation and some cloning ethics stuff?

Also...i'm not sure as to what the legal status of clones would be, because they weren't reared in the same way...in a way similar at all...
The Mahaj Factbook.

You shall be my god.

Jedi Utopians wrote:5) Now, saying that a nation couldn't be part of OPEC would be bold. AIPEC sounds like something you'd want to get checked out by a physician for.

Cool Egg Sandwich
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Cool Egg Sandwich » Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:01 pm

Mahaj WA Seat wrote:True...

I'm not entirely sure a legislation on cloning would be appropriate...perhaps something about the actual creation and some cloning ethics stuff?

Also...i'm not sure as to what the legal status of clones would be, because they weren't reared in the same way...in a way similar at all...

I understand your concerns, Ambassador, and I am certainly open to helping you draft a piece of legislation perhaps on 'ethics of cloning.' I just fail to see how 'clones' [human/sapient in this case] would not also be eligible for the same rights humans/sapient creatures are entitled to. They are biologically the same, so there should be no legal reason why they are denied those rights.

Rgds.,
Mr. Mickey Darke,

Member of NatSov 2.0
Author

Mahaj WA Seat
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Mahaj WA Seat » Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:05 pm

Cool Egg Sandwich wrote:
Mahaj WA Seat wrote:True...

I understand your concerns, Ambassador, and I am certainly open to helping you draft a piece of legislation perhaps on 'ethics of cloning.' I just fail to see how 'clones' [human/sapient in this case] would not also be eligible for the same rights humans/sapient creatures are entitled to. They are biologically the same, so there should be no legal reason why they are denied those rights.

Rgds.,

I'm wondering as to whether some nations would perhaps issue a national law classifying clones simply into a class as 'clones' and then being able to deny rights.

In any regards, i'll give this some thought tonight and then work something up for posting Tuesdayish.
The Mahaj Factbook.

You shall be my god.

Cool Egg Sandwich
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Cool Egg Sandwich » Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:08 pm

Mahaj WA Seat wrote:
Cool Egg Sandwich wrote:

Rgds.,

I'm wondering as to whether some nations would perhaps issue a national law classifying clones simply into a class as 'clones' and then being able to deny rights.

In any regards, i'll give this some thought tonight and then work something up for posting Tuesdayish.

Hmmm, I think you may be onto something, Ambassador. Perhaps drafting a piece of 'barring' legislation preventing nations from classifying 'clones' as a separate class, thereby denying [sapient/human] clones their 'basic human rights.'

I would be vehemently in favor of such a piece of legislation, indeed I would aid in drafting if the opportunity presented itself.

Rgds.,
Last edited by Cool Egg Sandwich on Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Mickey Darke,

Member of NatSov 2.0
Author

Baptovia
Envoy

Founded: Mar 05, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Baptovia » Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:12 pm

Ambassador, please also consider that a human/sapient being could perform a major crime and the clone of said human/sapient being could take the fall for it...or the opposite

Mahaj WA Seat
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Mahaj WA Seat » Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:12 pm

Cool Egg Sandwich wrote:
Mahaj WA Seat wrote:I'm wondering as to whether some nations would perhaps issue a national law classifying clones simply into a class as 'clones' and then being able to deny rights.

Hmmm, I think you may be onto something, Ambassador. Perhaps drafting a piece of 'barring' legislation preventing nations from classifying 'clones' as a separate class, thereby denying [sapient/human] clones their 'basic human rights.'

I would be vehemently in favor of such a piece of legislation, indeed I would aid in drafting if the opportunity presented itself.

Rgds.,

Yes indeed. I'll think something and post it for you and others to bat around and see what you think.
The Mahaj Factbook.

You shall be my god.

Mahaj WA Seat
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Mahaj WA Seat » Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:13 pm

Baptovia wrote:Ambassador, please also consider that a human/sapient being could perform a major crime and the clone of said human/sapient being could take the fall for it...or the opposite

The police/government/whatever would be able to identify between the clone and the being, me thinks.

Though hey, thats just a risk inherent with clones.
The Mahaj Factbook.

You shall be my god.

Cool Egg Sandwich
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Cool Egg Sandwich » Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:14 pm

Mahaj WA Seat wrote:
Cool Egg Sandwich wrote:

Rgds.,

Yes indeed. I'll think something and post it for you and others to bat around and see what you think.

We look forward to offering the 'Eggian' Opinion [to parody a famous NatSov'er] on your ideas on sapient clones.

Perhaps that could be the name, "On Sapient Clones," what do you think?

Rgds.,
Mr. Mickey Darke,

Member of NatSov 2.0
Author

Kylarosa
Spokesperson

Founded: Dec 25, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Kylarosa » Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:18 pm

The same risk applies to monozygotic twins.
Also cloning their exact genetic structure wouldn't necessarily produce a clone. You also have to take into account epigenetic expression and telomeric shortening among other things. Which isn't to do with genes exactly put rather the heterochromatic structure surrounding the DNA molecule which allows expression of certain genes and the silencing of others. You could always develop a method of genetically tagging a clone to differentiate its DNA from the host ot more conveniently the mitochondrial DNA of the clone would always be different from thayt of the host because mitochondria always come from the mother.

Thats how you can tell a clone and its host apart so there will never be any confusion in a legal investigation.
Last edited by Kylarosa on Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.

West Guiana
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 25, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby West Guiana » Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:21 pm

The World Assembly,

These two lines are the same thing just re-worded

like as Cool egg said, mishaps?
URGES nations to take steps to prevent cloning mishaps

Ok with this, they couldn't be used as slaves.

I'll be 50/50 on that.

little confusing

it's different, but I really see nothing wrong with it, just that cloning itself how you see it maybe wrong.
Wiki--Factbook
NSCF III Quarter Finalist, WLC XII Quarter Finalist

GO PACK GO

Darenjo
Minister

Founded: Mar 31, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Darenjo » Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:30 pm

For now, I'll abstain. Darenjo has banned cloning of sapient beings, since our clones tend not to have the same sapience - a quality that apparently be copied using Darenjon technology. That, plus the temptations of abuse, led to the banning of cloning within Darenjo.

Since nothing here seems to disallow banning cloning, I guess we could potentially support.

I'll keep an eye on this.
Dr. Park Si-Jung, Ambassador to the World Assembly for The People's Democracy of Darenjo

Proud Member of Eastern Islands of Dharma!

Cool Egg Sandwich
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Cool Egg Sandwich » Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:33 pm

Darenjo wrote:For now, I'll abstain. Darenjo has banned cloning of sapient beings, since our clones tend not to have the same sapience - a quality that apparently be copied using Darenjon technology. That, plus the temptations of abuse, led to the banning of cloning within Darenjo.

Since nothing here seems to disallow banning cloning, I guess we could potentially support.

Might I ask your thoughts on a resolution protecting the rights of sapient clones, Dr. Park Si-Jung? Would you be of the opinion that sapient clones should not be denied rights guaranteed to other sapient beings? i.e. humans, anthropomorphic bears etc.

Edit: I should clarify that the denial of rights in question would be the restult of classifying 'clones' as an entirely separate class, aside from their sapient identical counterpart.

Rgds.,
Last edited by Cool Egg Sandwich on Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Mickey Darke,

Member of NatSov 2.0
Author

Mahaj WA Seat
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Mahaj WA Seat » Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:55 pm

Perhaps that could be the name, "On Sapient Clones," what do you think?

I sort of like it. Believe it or not...I named 'On Abortion' (well...I suggested it and it was chosen...its not actually a big deal). but yeah. :)
The Mahaj Factbook.

You shall be my god.

Darenjo
Minister

Founded: Mar 31, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Darenjo » Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:06 pm

Cool Egg Sandwich wrote:
Darenjo wrote:For now, I'll abstain. Darenjo has banned cloning of sapient beings, since our clones tend not to have the same sapience - a quality that apparently be copied using Darenjon technology. That, plus the temptations of abuse, led to the banning of cloning within Darenjo.

Might I ask your thoughts on a resolution protecting the rights of sapient clones, Dr. Park Si-Jung? Would you be of the opinion that sapient clones should not be denied rights guaranteed to other sapient beings? i.e. humans, anthropomorphic bears etc.

Edit: I should clarify that the denial of rights in question would be the restult of classifying 'clones' as an entirely separate class, aside from their sapient identical counterpart.

Rgds.,

The rights of sapient clones, yes, we would certainly support without question. We just don't want mindless things walking around our streets with the right to vote.
Dr. Park Si-Jung, Ambassador to the World Assembly for The People's Democracy of Darenjo

Proud Member of Eastern Islands of Dharma!

Mahaj WA Seat
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Mahaj WA Seat » Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:13 pm

Darenjo wrote:
Cool Egg Sandwich wrote:

Rgds.,

The rights of sapient clones, yes, we would certainly support without question. We just don't want mindless things walking around our streets with the right to vote.

Since clones are awfully similar to the objects...why would you be cloning mindless things in the first place?

And I won't be giving these clones extra rights, just ensuring they get those of the thing they were cloned from.

And then some stuff on the ethics of cloning...
The Mahaj Factbook.

You shall be my god.

Cool Egg Sandwich
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Cool Egg Sandwich » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:21 am

Title: "On Sapient Clones"
Category: Human Rights
Strength: Mild / Significant

The World Assembly,

DEFINES cloning as the process of creating a genetically identical copy of another organism.

DEFINES sapient clone as a genetically identical copy of a human being, or other sapient being.

AFFIRMS the right of member nations to pursue cloning of sapient beings.

REQUIRES that cloning of sapient beings only be performed by trained professionals.

REQUIRES sapient clones in member nations be extended all the legal rights, privileges, and opportunities granted to their genetically identical counterparts.

DECLARES that member nations shall not enact legislation that classifies sapient clones as a separate legal class from their genetically identical counterparts.

Perhaps something like this, or is this completely different from what you were getting at, Ambassador?

If this doesn't gel with your interests, I could possibly pursue something similar on my own.

Rgds.,
Last edited by Cool Egg Sandwich on Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Mickey Darke,

Member of NatSov 2.0
Author

SlavicRepublics
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 06, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby SlavicRepublics » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:08 am

The USSSR strongly suggest that cloning should be outlawed based on moral and religious grounds
The Federation of Slavic Republics (FSR) is watching you!
Unity Today, Victory Tomorrow
Visitors - Everybody is welcome to live or visit the FSR or its brand new colony Khruschevistan! So get you passport ready and buy your ticket to the FSR today!

Mahaj WA Seat
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Mahaj WA Seat » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:42 am

SlavicRepublics wrote:The USSSR strongly suggest that cloning should be outlawed based on moral and religious grounds

I'm not going to introduce WA legislation banning cloning.
The Mahaj Factbook.

You shall be my god.

Hirota
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 22, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Hirota » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:37 am

Mahaj WA Seat wrote:Since clones are awfully similar to the objects...why would you be cloning mindless things in the first place?

And I won't be giving these clones extra rights, just ensuring they get those of the thing they were cloned from.

And then some stuff on the ethics of cloning...
My understanding of Darenjo's point is that it would be possible to clone a person, and eliminate any sense of mind or sentience.

Some Future-Tech nations have the ability to transfer conciousness into a mindless thing, be that machine or clone, effectively eliminating death. (OOC: A Good example is "The Culture" who have a blase view of copying or backing up conciousness and restoring them into new or copied physical forms.)

Other scenarios that spring to mind could include the cloning of the physical form for replacement organs.

OOC: Also, under this proposal,Dolly the Sheep would have had the full range of rights. Maybe that's something you are seeking to accomplish?
Last edited by Hirota on Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger - Confucius
Known to trigger Grammar Nazis, Spelling Nazis, Actual Nazis, the emotionally stunted and pedants.
Those affected by the views, opinions or general demeanour of this poster should review this puppy picture. Those affected by puppy pictures should consider investing in an isolation tank.

Economic Left/Right: -3.25, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.03
Isn't it curious how people will claim they are against tribalism, then pigeonhole themselves into tribes?

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
I use obviously in italics to emphasise the conveying of sarcasm. If I've put excessive obviously's into a post that means I'm being sarcastic

Cinistra
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Cinistra » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:42 am

Baptovia wrote:Ambassador, please also consider that a human/sapient being could perform a major crime and the clone of said human/sapient being could take the fall for it...or the opposite

By bar coding your citizens you will know their whereabouts at any time. Problem solved.
"Send forth all legions! Do not stop the attack until the city is taken! Slay them all!"
>Can I invade other people's regions?

Yes. The practice of "region crashing," where a group of nations all move to a region with the aim of seizing the WA Delegate position, is part of the game. Certain groups within NationStates are particularly adroit at this, and can attack very quickly.
>Once I've taken over a region, can I eject everyone else?

You can try. Invader Delegates tend to have very little Regional Influence, which makes ejecting long-time residents difficult. But Delegates can be as kind, generous, evil, or despotic as they wish. It's up to regional residents to elect good Delegates.

Embolalia
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 03, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Embolalia » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:23 am

Mahaj WA Seat wrote:I'm not going to introduce WA legislation banning cloning.
Personally, I wouldn't ask you to. I think given the broad spectrum of beliefs on this, and the fact that both sides are completely justified in holding their respective opinions, the WA has no role in banning cloning. However, I also don't think the WA should be requiring that cloning be legal.
It seems to me that this act is silent on (il)legalization. It worries me that it might implicitly be construed as a legalization, despite the final clause. Could it be reworded in a way that would make note of the fact that a nation can, in fact, illegalize the entire practice of sapient cloning? Perhaps "enact further legislation in regards to clones, including a ban, so long as etc."?
Do unto others as you would have done unto you.
Bible quote? No, that's just common sense.
/ˌɛmboʊˈlɑːliːʌ/
The United Commonwealth of Embolalia

Gafin Gower, Prime minister
E. Rory Hywel, Ambassador to the World Assembly
Gwaredd LLwyd, Lieutenant Ambassador to the World Assembly
Author: GA#95, GA#107, GA#132, GA#185
Philimbesi wrote:Repeal, resign, or relax.

Embassy Exchange
EBC News
My mostly worthless blog
Economic Left/Right: -5.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.51
Liberal atheist bisexual, and proud of it.
@marcmack wrote:I believe we can build a better world! Of course, it'll take a whole lot of rock, water & dirt. Also, not sure where to put it."

Mahaj WA Seat
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Mahaj WA Seat » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:25 pm

Embolalia wrote:
Mahaj WA Seat wrote:I'm not going to introduce WA legislation banning cloning.
Personally, I wouldn't ask you to. I think given the broad spectrum of beliefs on this, and the fact that both sides are completely justified in holding their respective opinions, the WA has no role in banning cloning. However, I also don't think the WA should be requiring that cloning be legal.
It seems to me that this act is silent on (il)legalization. It worries me that it might implicitly be construed as a legalization, despite the final clause. Could it be reworded in a way that would make note of the fact that a nation can, in fact, illegalize the entire practice of sapient cloning? Perhaps "enact further legislation in regards to clones, including a ban, so long as etc."?

Problem is one of the GA resolutions mentions cloning (the number is in the OP, I think its 126) so illegalizing it could be a problem.

And draft updated.
The Mahaj Factbook.

You shall be my god.

Cool Egg Sandwich
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Cool Egg Sandwich » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:43 pm

DECLARES that nations cannot classify sentient sapient clones as their own class,

I was looking at this, and it seems like a lot of the 'ethical' objections to cloning are purely based on religious bases, something i'm not going to deal with in a resolution on an international scale, which is, of course, the scale of the WA.

Keep in mind cloning is legal as per GA #126

The World Assembly,

I notice that you liked a couple of the suggestions I proposed in the pseudo-draft I put forth. I would like to call your attention, Ambassador, to a clause in my draft that I think should be included in your prospective draft 'In Regards to Cloning.'

AFFIRMS the right of member nations to pursue cloning of sapient beings.

As this clause would guarantee legalization of cloning in WA member nations, I think it would be beneficial to include something along these lines. Since GAR 126 does not explicitly legalize 'sentient sapient' cloning, I would prefer if the WA took a direct stance on cloning. Furthermore, this clause would not 'require' cloning in WA member nations, but merely allow for sapient cloning to occur seamlessly between all WA member nations.

REQUIRES nations to treat clones as they would any other person of their nation

I still have my reservations about this clause, as this would allow for non-sentient, non-sapient clones to be extended all legal privileges granted to 'persons' of WA member nations. As most WA member nations are populated by human beings, all clones would be extended 'human rights' by the wording of this clause. I think something like this [from my draft :p ] would be better suited to achieve the goal I think you're trying to achieve:

REQUIRES sapient clones in member nations be extended all the legal rights, privileges, and opportunities granted to their genetically identical counterparts.

I will continue to watch this debate closely; I will stop back to offer my opinions throughout the day.

Rgds.,
Mr. Mickey Darke,

Member of NatSov 2.0
Author

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives