NATION

PASSWORD

(PASSED) Missing Individuals Act

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.
Mousebumples
Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

(PASSED) Missing Individuals Act

Postby Mousebumples » Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:02 pm

Knootoss wrote:Someone should write a polite blocker proposal on missing/abducted children. Something that does something constructive yet leaves it the responsibility of member states and (importantly) costs nothing or virtually nothing.

This - admittedly - is largely geared at blocking further legislation on this subject and allow the specifics to be determined by individual member nations. There are enough "active" clauses in this proposal's text to make it a legal blocker. As we've already had two passed resolutions that needed to be repealed due to shortcomings in the text, I think this is the best way to go, to prevent us from having to continuously having to revisit this subject.

MISSING INDIVIDUALS ACT

A resolution to improve world security by boosting police and military budgets.

CATEGORY: International Security | STRENGTH: Mild | PROPOSED BY: Mousebumples

DESCRIPTION:
THE WORLD ASSEMBLY:

UNDERSTANDS that individuals of all genders and ages are reported missing,

REALIZES that most nations have procedures already in place to assist in the safe recovery of all missing individuals,

REQUIRES that all WA member nations have reasonable protocols in place that both prevent abductions of their residents and also aid in the safe recovery of all missing individuals,

SPECIFIES that member states may determine whether runaways from within their jurisdiction should be returned to their home,

URGES for the creation and utilization of a family counseling program to be used in all cases where a runaway is returned to their home,

CREATES the Missing Individuals Archive (MIA) in order to facilitate cooperation between local, national, and international law enforcement agencies with regards to individuals who have been lost, abducted, or run away,

MANDATES that the relevant local and national agencies share relevant information through MIA and also cooperate with other WA member nations whenever it is suspected or known that a missing individual has moved across a national border,

ENCOURAGES the development of strong working relationships between WA member nations and any neighboring nations in order to better coordinate international efforts in the event of an international missing persons case.

STIPULATES that all who were knowingly involved in the abduction of an individual shall be prosecuted to the full extent of national and international law,

ALLOWS for WA member nations to add additional protocols and procedures within their own borders as appropriate for their nation's population and cultural needs.

MISSING INDIVIDUALS ACT
CATEGORY: International Security | STRENGTH: Mild | PROPOSED BY: Mousebumples

DESCRIPTION:

THE WORLD ASSEMBLY -

UNDERSTANDS that abductions are tragedies that occur across the universe to individuals of all genders and ages are reported missing, (Wording changed since this proposal does not focus SOLELY on abductions, and I wanted to make it clear that this is a broader document in scope and purpose)

REALIZES that most nations have procedures already in place to assist in the location safe recovery of all missing individuals of all ages,

REQUIRES that all WA member nations have reasonable protocols in place that both prevent abductions of their residents and also aid in the safe recovery of all missing individuals,

SPECIFIES that member states may regulate the return of determine whether runaways from within their jurisdiction should be returned to their home,

URGES for the creation and utilization of a family counseling program to be used in all cases where a runaway is returned to their home,

CREATES the Missing Individuals Archive (MIA) in order to facilitate international cooperation between local, national, and international law enforcement agencies with regards to individuals who have been lost, abducted, or run away, which may have involved crossing an international border,

MANDATES that the relevant local and national agencies share relevant information through MIA and also cooperate with other WA member nations whenever it is suspected or known that a missing individual has moved across a national border,

ENCOURAGES the development of strong working relationships between WA member nations and any neighboring nations in order to better coordinate international efforts in the event of an international missing persons case.

STIPULATES that all who were knowingly involved in the abduction of an individual shall be prosecuted to the full extent of national and international law,

ALLOWS for WA member nations to add additional protocols and procedures within their own borders as appropriate for their nation's population and cultural needs.

MISSING INDIVIDUALS ACT

CATEGORY: International Security
STRENGTH: Mild
DESCRIPTION:

THE WORLD ASSEMBLY -

UNDERSTANDS that abductions are tragedies that occur across the universe to individuals of all genders and ages,

REALIZES that most nations have procedures already in place to assist in the location of missing individuals of all ages and the persecution of their captors,

SPECIFIES that member states may regulate the return of runaways from within their jurisdiction,

CREATES the Missing Individuals Archive (MIA) in order to facilitate international cooperation between national law enforcement agencies with regards to individuals who are have been lost, abducted, or run away, and taken across which may have involved crossing an international border,

MANDATES that national agencies share relevant information through MIA and cooperate with other WA member nations whenever it is suspected or known that a missing individual has been taken moved across a national border.

ENCOURAGES the development of strong working relationships between WA member nations and any neighboring nations in order to better coordinate international efforts in the event of an international abduction missing persons case.

STIPULATES that all who were involved in the abduction of an individual shall be prosecuted to the full extent of national and international law,

MISSING INDIVIDUALS ACT

DESCRIPTION:

THE WORLD ASSEMBLY -

UNDERSTANDS that abductions are tragedies that occur across the universe to individuals of all genders and ages,

REALIZES that most nations have procedures already in place to assist in the location of all missing individuals and the persecution of their captors,

CREATES the Missing Individuals Archive (MIA) in order to facilitate international cooperation between national law enforcement agencies with regards to individuals who are abducted and taken across a national border,

MANDATES that national agencies share relevant information through MIA and cooperate with other WA member nations whenever it is suspected or known that a missing individual has been taken across a national border.

ENCOURAGES the development of strong working relationships between WA member nations and any neighboring nations in order to better coordinate international efforts in the event of an international abduction.

STIPULATES that all who were involved in the abduction of an individual shall be prosecuted to the full extent of national and international law,

A lot of the language is a bit rough and not quite where I want it, for final submission. I'm certainly open to suggestions.

I also am wondering if I have the proposal too "focused" on abduction with not enough text or reference to otherwise missing individuals - runaways, lost children in public places, older individuals with dementia who wander off, etc. I'd be willing to add in additional clauses on those topics, if that's determined to be beneficial to the overall aim of the proposal.

Yours thoughts are greatly appreciated on this matter.

Respectfully yours,
Nikolas Eberhart
Ambassador for the Doctoral Monkey Feet of Mousebumples
WA Delegate for Monkey Island
Last edited by Mousebumples on Mon May 23, 2011 9:20 am, edited 11 times in total.
Leader of the Mouse-a-rific Mousetastic Moderator Mousedom of Mousebumples
Past WA Delegate for Europeia & Monkey Island
Proud Member of UNOG
I'm an "adorably marvelous NatSov" - Mallorea and Riva
GA Resolutions (sorted by category) | Why Repeal? | Reppy's Sig Workshop

Darenjo
Minister

Founded: Mar 31, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Darenjo » Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:35 pm

It looks pretty good, considering that a blocker on this would be wonderful.

One problem: the first time I read through the second-to-last clause, it appeared to be that those who were unwillingly assisting in abducting people would be prosecuted. You may wish to make that part clearer.
Dr. Park Si-Jung, Ambassador to the World Assembly for The People's Democracy of Darenjo

Proud Member of Eastern Islands of Dharma!

Mousebumples
Game Moderator

Postby Mousebumples » Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:43 pm

Darenjo wrote:It looks pretty good, considering that a blocker on this would be wonderful.

One problem: the first time I read through the second-to-last clause, it appeared to be that those who were unwillingly assisting in abducting people would be prosecuted. You may wish to make that part clearer.

I'd think that any abduction of an individual can be presumed to be against the will of an abducted individual, yes? As such, the inclusion of "against their will" in that clause is likely superfluous.

As such, I'd figure that I could change it to "STIPULATES that all who were involved in the abduction of an individual shall be prosecuted to the full extent of national and international law"

Thoughts?
Proud Member of UNOG

Darenjo
Minister

Founded: Mar 31, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Darenjo » Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:51 pm

(OOC: sorry I can't quote since I'm on an iPod)

That sounds a lot better.
Dr. Park Si-Jung, Ambassador to the World Assembly for The People's Democracy of Darenjo

Proud Member of Eastern Islands of Dharma!

Mousebumples
Game Moderator

Postby Mousebumples » Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:53 pm

Darenjo wrote:(OOC: sorry I can't quote since I'm on an iPod)

That sounds a lot better.

No worries. It's not like this thread is so busy that I can't look up a post to see what you're replying to ... ;)

Thanks for the suggestion!
Proud Member of UNOG

Charlotte Ryberg
The Muse of the Westcountry

Founded: Mar 14, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:46 am

Ms. Harper can show what the Minoan delegation came up with a few weeks ago:

UNDERSTANDING the anguish and complexities involved with the search for missing individuals where multiple countries are involved;

Hereby;

DEFINES, for the purpose of this resolution:
A “vulnerable person” as a person (such as a minor or a disabled person) who is an easy target for kidnapping and/or whose disappearance are likely to trigger concern for their safety;
An “abductor” as a person who knowingly kidnaps a vulnerable person, against the victim's wishes;
A “runaway” as a person who voluntarily goes missing for various reasons such as escaping from violence, forced marriage, etc;

HEREBY establishes the International Missing Persons Database (IMPD) for the purpose of monitoring cross-border abductions;

SPECIFIES the following:
1. The IMPD shall be internet-based;
2. Access to the database shall be restricted to only those with the appropriate credentials (e.g. police, child welfare authorities and social workers) – the database shall not be made accessible by general members of the public or commercial organizations;
3. A record of a missing individual shall at least consist of the following: name, gender, date of birth, physical description along with a visual image (or reasonable facsimile or sketch), their last known whereabouts including where they may have been abducted from or whether they have run away, factors which may consider the missing individual as vulnerable, and any other information consider important to locating the individual;

MANDATES that member countries will train, provide or have access to trained detectives to find missing individuals and (where applicable) their abductor(s);

MANDATES that in cases of an internationals abduction, member countries involved should work together to locate the missing individual and the abductor – methods may include forensic investigation and ;

INSISTS that if the individual was a runaway, the authorities must not return the person to their carer if abuse or negligence was suspect (such as child abuse or forced marriages) – all options for ensuring the future safety and wellbeing of the minor must be explored;

MANDATES that if the abductee is found dead, member countries involved must make every effort to repatriate the body to their next of kin;

MANDATES that criminal charges must be considered against those involved in the abduction depending on the magnitude of malignance;

ALLOWS non-member countries to access or contribute to the IMPD, subject to the same access conditions as specified in Section 2.

Now it's the task of merging, cutting, then deciding who will hold the torch.

The Ainocran Embassy
Envoy

Founded: Jul 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Ainocran Embassy » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:34 am

not a bad idea, perhaps an international missing persons database could be useful
"From far, from eve and morning and yon twelve-winded sky, the stuff of life to knit blew hither: here am I. ...Now--for a breath I tarry nor yet disperse apart--take my hand quick and tell me, what have you in your heart." --Roger Zelazny
1 2 3 4 5

Quelesh
Minister

Founded: Jun 09, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Quelesh » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:33 pm

I certainly don't think the proposal focuses too much on abducted individuals; I think it doesn't focus enough on abducted individuals. Most, or at least many, "missing" individuals are voluntarily missing. Nations should not be required to do anything at all regarding voluntarily missing individuals.

Mousebumples wrote:REALIZES that most nations have procedures already in place to assist in the location of all missing individuals and the persecution of their captors,

I know that this is merely a preambulatory clause, but, again, many or most missing individuals are not abducted and have no captors.

Mousebumples wrote:REQUIRES that all WA member nations have reasonable protocols in place that both prevent abductions of their residents and also aid in the safe recovery of all missing individuals,

I think "all missing individuals" should be changed to "all abducted individuals" here. The current wording would force states to "recover" all missing individuals, even individuals who went missing voluntarily and do not want to be "recovered."

Mousebumples wrote:CREATES the Missing Individuals Archive (MIA) in order to facilitate international cooperation between national law enforcement agencies with regards to individuals who are abducted and taken across a national border,

MANDATES that national agencies share relevant information through MIA and cooperate with other WA member nations whenever it is suspected or known that a missing individual has been taken across a national border.

Since this archive only deals with internaional abductions, perhaps it should have a name which more clearly expresses its purpose. Also, in the second clause, "missing individual" should be changed to "abducted individual," since the archive only deals with international abductions.

Also, does the requirement to "cooperate" here require extradition? Even to nations that may employ the death penalty?

Mousebumples wrote:STIPULATES that all who were involved in the abduction of an individual shall be prosecuted to the full extent of national and international law,

This would still require the prosecution of those who were unknowingly or involunarily involved in an abduction; in fact, the literal wording would require the prosecution of the person who was abducted (since he or she was "involved" in his or her own abduction).

I will also address the Minoan draft:

Charlotte Ryberg wrote:A “vulnerable person” as a person (such as a minor or a disabled person) who is an easy target for kidnapping and/or whose disappearance are likely to trigger concern for their safety;

So abductions, even international abductions, of people who are not "vulnerable" people are outside the scope of the proposal? I think it should cover all international abductions, but only international abductions, not domestic abductions and certainly not "runaways."

Charlotte Ryberg wrote:A “runaway” as a person who voluntarily goes missing for various reasons such as escaping from violence, forced marriage, etc;

Runaways, and therefore this clause, should be excluded entirely.

Charlotte Ryberg wrote:HEREBY establishes the International Missing Persons Database (IMPD) for the purpose of monitoring cross-border abductions;

Is this database to contain only records of those who have been abducted and taken across international borders, or of all missing individuals?

Charlotte Ryberg wrote:1. The IMPD shall be internet-based;

Some nations don't have internet infrastructure.

Charlotte Ryberg wrote:3. A record of a missing individual shall at least consist of the following: name, gender,

What if gender is unknown or ambiguous, or the nation does not formally recognize gender?

Charlotte Ryberg wrote:date of birth,

This could be a problem in Quelesh. Quelesians generally do not keep birth records, and the exact date of birth of most Quelesians is unknown. I imagine other nation's cultures may be similar.

Charlotte Ryberg wrote:physical description along with a visual image (or reasonable facsimile or sketch), their last known whereabouts including where they may have been abducted from or whether they have run away, factors which may consider the missing individual as vulnerable, and any other information consider important to locating the individual;

So all missing individuals, including runaways, are to be included in a database the function of which is to track international abductions?

Charlotte Ryberg wrote:MANDATES that member countries will train, provide or have access to trained detectives to find missing individuals and (where applicable) their abductor(s);

"Missing individuals" should be "abducted individuals" here, as the proposal should only involve those missing individuals who have been abducted and did not go missing voluntarily.

Charlotte Ryberg wrote:MANDATES that in cases of an internationals abduction, member countries involved should work together to locate the missing individual and the abductor – methods may include forensic investigation and ;

Forensic investigation and what?

Charlotte Ryberg wrote:INSISTS that if the individual was a runaway, the authorities must not return the person to their carer if abuse or negligence was suspect (such as child abuse or forced marriages) – all options for ensuring the future safety and wellbeing of the minor must be explored;

This clause should be removed entirely. Also, the word "minor" is included toward the end of the clause, but according to your own definition earlier runaways need not be minors.
"I hate mankind, for I think myself one of the best of them, and I know how bad I am." - Samuel Johnson

"Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it." - George Bernard Shaw
Political Compass | Economic Left/Right: -7.75 | Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -10.00

Knootoss
Senator

Left-Leaning College State

Postby Knootoss » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:48 pm

I really enjoy seeing this suggestion translated into an effective and eminently readable draft resolution. I endorse the Mousebumples draft.

Ambassador Aram Koopman
World Assembly representative for the Dutch Democratic Republic of Knootoss

Ideological Bulwark #7 - RPed population preserves relative population sizes. Webgame population / 100 is used by default. If this doesn't work for you and it is relevant to our RP, please TG.

Mousebumples
Game Moderator

Postby Mousebumples » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:51 pm

Charlotte Ryberg wrote:Ms. Harper can show what the Minoan delegation came up with a few weeks ago:

*snip*

Now it's the task of merging, cutting, then deciding who will hold the torch.

While I appreciate the efforts of the Minoan individuals, I am not interested in merging the drafts at this time. You are welcome to move forward with your draft, if you'd like, of course. If you wish to do so, I'd prefer if you started your own thread.

Knootoss wrote:I really enjoy seeing this suggestion translated into an effective and eminently readable draft resolution. I endorse the Mousebumples draft.

Many thanks. I think there are still some tweaks that are needed - perhaps some along the lines of what was suggested by Quelesh, but that will be addressed later, perhaps tomorrow.

I was happy to make your "vision" a reality ... :)
Proud Member of UNOG

Burkenation
Political Columnist

Founded: Jan 12, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Burkenation » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:05 pm

This is the MMA proposal I tried to pass a few weeks ago. Luckily I saved it on ms word. Feel free to look at it for any ideas.

NOTING that missing children is a serious problem
ACKNOWLEDGING that previously failed legislation has failed to fix this problem
HOPING to solve the problem in the following way

DEFINING:
Minor-any person who is not recognized as an adult due to age by his/her nation
Runaway-any minor who voluntarily leaves his/her home without any intent of returning to his/her legal guardian
Missing child-any minor who involuntarily leaves his/her home via abduction
Accidental missing child(AMC)-any minor who goes missing involuntarily, but was not abducted but was instead lost

The World Assembly hereby:

1)REQUIRES all WA members to create a Missing Minor Agency(MMA), which shall:

a)Be provided with highly trained detectives to look for any missing children

b)Include an MMA database available ONLY to MMA detectives

c)Be adequately funded by all WA nations

2)DECLARES any child who goes missing to be defined as a missing child until found and proven to have left either voluntarily or involuntarily

3)REQUIRES all WA nations to have some age limit to define a minor

4)REQUIRES runaways who are found to undergo counseling along with his/her legal guardian

5)URGES nations to place any missing children who are found to be placed under protection until the abductor(s) is captured

6)DECLARES that the legal guardians of children who ran away due to physical abuse from said guardians to be responsible for the child missing and are subject to punishment

7)ALLOWS exceptions in the case of:

a)Accidental missing children, who will not be subject to counseling or police protection

b)If the child's legal guardian(s) is determined to have been responsible for the child going missing, the child will be placed in a foster home, and the legal guardian will be punished

c)If a runaway voluntarily returns to his/her legal guardian(s), it is not required the child and guardian undergo counseling, however it is recommended

d)If the abductor of a missing child returns the child and turns him/herself in to the police, police protection is not required unless the abductor reveals any accomplices to the abduction

e)In the event that nations are unable to sufficiently fund an MMA, that nation may apply to the WA for funding

Beldonia
Senator

Founded: Jan 07, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Beldonia » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:09 pm

I actually like these missing people acts. But no one else seems to. Why? It's a good thing!

Mousebumples
Game Moderator

Postby Mousebumples » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:03 am

Draft updated ...

MISSING INDIVIDUALS ACT

DESCRIPTION:

THE WORLD ASSEMBLY -

REALIZES that most nations have procedures already in place to assist in the location of missing individuals of all ages,

SPECIFIES that member states may regulate the return of runaways from within their jurisdiction,

CREATES the Missing Individuals Archive (MIA) in order to facilitate international cooperation between national law enforcement agencies with regards to individuals who have been lost, abducted, or run away, which may have involved crossing an international border,

MANDATES that national agencies share relevant information through MIA and cooperate with other WA member nations whenever it is suspected or known that a missing individual has moved across a national border,

Further thoughts are welcome. I tried to allow for the "runaway"-related objections of the Queleshian Ambassador; however, I am unwilling to create such a large loophole in the draft with regards to runaways to make his thoughts on the subject apply to all member nations. I hope that the NatSov-friendly blocking clause in that arena is to his satisfaction.
Proud Member of UNOG

Cool Egg Sandwich
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 04, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Cool Egg Sandwich » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:42 am

Mousebumples wrote:STIPULATES that all who were involved in the abduction of an individual shall be prosecuted to the full extent of national and international law,

I would like to give this draft my stamp of approval; however, I would like to comment that this clause does not allow for domestic / international courts to mitigate punishments for individuals who were unwillingly involved in the abduction of an individual. I understand you want to enforce harsh penalties, but I would prefer if national governments/courts were able to mitigate punishments, provided it can be shown that an individual was unwillingly involved in an abduction.

Does this make sense?

Perhaps you could say instead:
STIPULATES that all who were knowingly involved in the abduction of an individual shall be prosecuted to the full extent of national and international law

Thoughts?

Rgds.,
Mr. Mickey Darke,
Ambassador to the World Assembly from Cool Egg Sandwich

WA Delegate from The Dirty South
Phish phan and Student of History
Member of NatSov 2.0
Author
: GAR #139, GAR #152 (Repeal)

Charlotte Ryberg
The Muse of the Westcountry

Founded: Mar 14, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:27 pm

Cool Egg Sandwich wrote:

I would like to give this draft my stamp of approval; however, I would like to comment that this clause does not allow for domestic / international courts to mitigate punishments for individuals who were unwillingly involved in the abduction of an individual. I understand you want to enforce harsh penalties, but I would prefer if national governments/courts were able to mitigate punishments, provided it can be shown that an individual was unwillingly involved in an abduction.

Does this make sense?

Perhaps you could say instead:
STIPULATES that all who were knowingly involved in the abduction of an individual shall be prosecuted to the full extent of national and international law

Thoughts?

Rgds.,

I think that would be a better wording because common sense should be used. For example, where a school bus driver simply forgot to drop off a child and had to look after them for the night to ensure their welfare.

- Ms. S. Harper.

Cool Egg Sandwich
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Cool Egg Sandwich » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:34 pm

Charlotte Ryberg wrote:I think that would be a better wording because common sense should be used. For example, where a school bus driver simply forgot to drop off a child and had to look after them for the night to ensure their welfare.

- Ms. S. Harper.

I just don't want to see a situation where my domestic courts are forced to prosecute all involved to the fullest extent of the law, regardless of their knowledge of involvement.
Mr. Mickey Darke,

Member of NatSov 2.0
Author

Ushiromiya
Political Columnist

Founded: Mar 14, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Ushiromiya » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:13 am

This is good, I support this proposal.

Cool Egg Sandwich
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Cool Egg Sandwich » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:15 pm

Mousebumples wrote:

I also wanted to note, for consistency of language this clause should read:

SPECIFIES that member nations may regulate the return of runaways from within their jurisdiction

In addition to that minor edit, was your intention for member nations to only regulate the return of runaways, and not all missing individuals?

Rgds.,
Mr. Mickey Darke,

Member of NatSov 2.0
Author

Parti Ouvrier
Minister

Founded: Aug 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Parti Ouvrier » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:42 pm

Cool Egg Sandwich wrote:
Charlotte Ryberg wrote:I think that would be a better wording because common sense should be used. For example, where a school bus driver simply forgot to drop off a child and had to look after them for the night to ensure their welfare.

- Ms. S. Harper.

I just don't want to see a situation where my domestic courts are forced to prosecute all involved to the fullest extent of the law, regardless of their knowledge of involvement.

I feel the same way about this, that is to say we have the same misgivings.

Just to clarify..

Opposed

Envoy CJ
Last edited by Parti Ouvrier on Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
For a voluntary Socialist democratic republic of England, Scotland, Wales and a United Socialist Democratic Federal Republic of Ireland in a United Socialist Europe.
Leave Nato - abolish trident, abolish presidential monarchies (directly elected presidents) and presidential Prime Ministers

Mousebumples
Game Moderator

Postby Mousebumples » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:40 am

Draft updated! As per usual, editing notes can be found in the OP, but here is the latest draft without all the markup.

I've edited the clause regarding prosecution for abductions to include "knowingly." I think that's sufficient to cover the objections made thus far in the debate, but I'm open to further critiques, if necessary.

MISSING INDIVIDUALS ACT

DESCRIPTION:

THE WORLD ASSEMBLY -

UNDERSTANDS that individuals of all genders and ages are reported missing,

REALIZES that most nations have procedures already in place to assist in the safe recovery of all missing individuals,

SPECIFIES that member states may determine whether runaways from within their jurisdiction should be returned to their home,

CREATES the Missing Individuals Archive (MIA) in order to facilitate cooperation between local, national, and international law enforcement agencies with regards to individuals who have been lost, abducted, or run away,

The only other clause I'm really looking at adding, at this time, is something regarding prevention of lost individuals - whether children wandering off or older individuals with conditions such as dementia, etc. However, I'm not quite sure how to word such a thing without being overly specific, so I'm leaning more towards leaving it out at this time. Certainly, if you (or anyone else) feel strongly on the subject, please feel free to comment.

If no other major objections are made, I'll probably look at submitting sometime early next week (probably Monday?) ...
Proud Member of UNOG

Sanctaria
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 12, 2008

Postby Sanctaria » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:26 pm

As the Ambassador knows very well, he has my complete support in his endeavours. I support the proposal as written.

Rgds.,
Divine Federation of Sanctaria

Ideological Bulwark #258

Dr. Bethany Greer CMD, Sanctarian Ambassador to the World Assembly
Author of:
GA#109 GA#133 GA#176 GA#201 GA#222 GA#297
GA#590 (Co)
Frisbeeteria wrote:Do people not realize that moderators can tell when someone is wanking?

Luna Amore wrote:Sanc is always watching. Ever vigilant.

Auralia wrote:Your condescending attitude is remarkably annoying.

Bidderskinlandia
Lobbyist

Founded: Mar 16, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Bidderskinlandia » Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:58 pm

I like the proposal and it has my support. As to the prevention of lost individuals, I don't know if you can really prevent missing people. The person goes about their regular buisiness, and then just disappears. Anything that gets invovled with keeping track of older people with dementia would probably get too intrusive.
Last edited by Bidderskinlandia on Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:05 am, edited 2 times in total.

Mousebumples
Game Moderator

Postby Mousebumples » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:48 pm

Sanctaria wrote:As the Ambassador knows very well, he has my complete support in his endeavours. I support the proposal as written.

As always, I thank you greatly for your support, Ambassador.

Bidderskinlandia wrote:I like the proposal and it has my support. As to the prevention of lost individuals, I don't know if you can really prevent missing people. The person goes about there regular buisiness, and then just disappears. Anything that gets invovled with keeping track of older people with dementia would probably get too intrusive.

Thank you for your support as well, Your Excellency. Your train of thought is about what I was thinking, so I will probably leave that area to be covered by the "ALLOWS for WA member nations to add additional protocols and procedures within their own borders as appropriate for their nation's population and cultural needs."
Proud Member of UNOG

Imperial Yamea
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Imperial Yamea » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:34 pm

As we have said before we support this.
Member of The Commonwealth of Crowns

United NW Canada
Osberg-Thitania
Member of the Commonwealth of Crowns

Quelesh
Minister

Founded: Jun 09, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Quelesh » Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:29 pm

Mousebumples wrote:REQUIRES that all WA member nations have reasonable protocols in place that both prevent abductions of their residents and also aid in the safe recovery of all missing individuals,

If the police track down a missing individual and learn that she does not wish to be recovered, does the fact that the government now knows where she is meet the "safe recovery" requirement? I suppose this isn't such a big deal, since this clause only requires "reasonable protocols" that "aid" a safe recovery; it does not require that any "recovery" actually take place.

Mousebumples wrote:SPECIFIES that member states may determine whether runaways from within their jurisdiction should be returned to their home,

I do like this clause, at least insofar as it allows us to leave runaways alone, at least so long as they are not "suspected or known" to have crossed a national border.

Mousebumples wrote:MANDATES that the relevant local and national agencies share relevant information through MIA and also cooperate with other WA member nations whenever it is suspected or known that a missing individual has moved across a national border,

If someone from another member state runs away and makes his way to Quelesh, and our law enforcement is notified by MIA or by the other member state that he may be in our nation, would we be required to apprehend him? Would we be required to force him to return to his nation of origin if he does not want to go back? Would this affect our ability to grant him asylum?

Also, does the requirement to "cooperate with other WA member nations" compel us to extradite any individuals that the other nation believes were involved in an abduction, even if there is a possibility that they will be put to death?

Mousebumples wrote:STIPULATES that all who were knowingly involved in the abduction of an individual shall be prosecuted to the full extent of national and international law,

I appreciate the addition of the word "knowingly" to this clause; however, this wording could still require the prosecution of someone who was unwillingly involved. If Person A holds a gun to Person B's head and demands that Person B participate in an abduction, we should not be required to prosecute Person B for complying with Person A's demand, even though Person B was "knowingly involved."

Granted, there is somewhat of a loophole in this clause, in that it only requires prosecution "to the full extent of... [the] law." If our law does not allow for the prosecution of those who were unwillingly involved in an act (the full extent of the law does not allow any prosecution at all), then the requirement of the clause has been met. However, I would still be happier with the inclusion of the word "willingly" or something similar.
"I hate mankind, for I think myself one of the best of them, and I know how bad I am." - Samuel Johnson

"Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it." - George Bernard Shaw
Political Compass | Economic Left/Right: -7.75 | Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -10.00

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives