NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] Missing Minors Act

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.
Mahaj WA Seat
Minister

Founded: Nov 03, 2010
Ex-Nation

[PASSED] Missing Minors Act

Postby Mahaj WA Seat » Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:03 am

This is the Replacement of Missing Minors Database. Below is draft 3, though there have been many edits.

Please approve here.

RECOGNIZING the problem of missing minors,
BELIEVING that the problem of missing minors is a grave one in need of a solution,
RECOGNIZING that a previous resolution to fix this problem, Missing Minors Database, has been repealed by General Assembly Resolution #125,

DEFINING, for the purpose of this resolution:
Minor-a person below the capacity of adulthood according to the country where that person has a legal residency
Runaway- a minor who is reported missing because his\her whereabouts are unknown to the child's legal custodian, the circumstances of whose absence strongly indicates that the child voluntarily left the care and control of his legal custodian without the custodian's consent and without intent to return
Missing Minor- a person below the capacity of adulthood according to the country where that person has a legal residency who cannot be found by the person(s) who have legal stewardship over them within a reasonable amount of time
Individual nations can determine for themselves 'a reasonable amount of time'

THE WORLD ASSEMBLY, in order to solve this problem, hereby requires nations to create Missing Children Organizations (MCOs),
THESE MCOs shall have the following:
• Access to trained detectives to find missing children
• Access to any relevant information about the missing children
• The ability to create a database on the missing children if so desired

RECOMMENDS national governments provide adequate funding to these organizations so they can function properly,
ALLOWS nations to include runaways as missing children for the purposes of this resolution if they so desire,
ALLOWS for Member Nations to have joint MCOs,
DECLARES that if a minor goes missing while in a foreign country, as defined as a country that is not the country where they hold legal residence, the MCO of the foreign country shall have the responsibility of finding the child,
STATES that nations that do not legally have children do not have to create an MCO,
ALLOWING Nations without funds for an MCO to apply to the World Assembly General Fund (WAGF) for funding,
ALLOWING national MCOs to create local branches,

DECLARES that if found, the abductor must be tried in court on charges of abduction of a minor, as well as others if applicable,
MANDATING that after the missing child is found an investigation shall be enacted to determine the reason for the child being missing,
REQUIRES that if the investigation concludes that the child was abducted, the abductor shall be tried under national law for these charges,
REQUIRES that if it is determined the child was a runaway, it shall be investigated the reason for the child running away,
ORDERS that penalties shall be assessed to the parents if they were abusing,
ALLOWS for a relative to have temporary custody of the child instead of the parents during this investigation,
MANDATES parent-child counseling if a runaway is returned.

RECOGNIZING the problem of missing children,
BELIEVING that the problem of missing children is a grave one in need of a solution,
RECOGNIZING that a previous resolution to fix this problem, Missing Minors Database, has been repealed by General Assembly Resolution #125,
DEFINING, for the purpose of this resolution:
Child- A Person who is too young to legally be an adult in their country of residence
Missing Child- A child that has disappeared and cannot be found for one hour.
THE WORLD ASSEMBLY, in order to solve this problem, hereby requires nations to create individual Missing Children Organizations (MCOs),
• Access to any relevant information about the missing children
RECOMMENDS national governments provide adequate funding to these organizations so they can function properly,
ALLOWS nations to include runaways as missing children for the purposes of this resolution if they so desire,
STATES that nations that do not legally have children do not have to create an MCO,
ALLOWING Nations without funds for an MCO to apply to the World Assembly General Assembly (WAGA) for funding,
AWARE the potential for wrong doing by the National MCOs,
BELIEVING that any wrong doing by MCOs could have a devastating impact on the finding of missing children,
THE WORLD ASSEMBLY hereby creates the Missing Children Organizations Inspection Force (MCOIF),
GRANTS MCOIF the following:
• The right to inspect any MCO at any time
• A nation with an MCO MUST let MCOIF do their duty with regards to inspections
• MCOIF MUST inspect EVERY MCO once every six months
• MCOIF will get funds from the WAGA General fund.
DECLARES that if found, the abductor must be tried in court on these charges,
MANDATING that after the missing child is found an investigation shall be enacted to determine the reason for the child being missing,
REQUIRES that if the investigation concludes that the child was abducted, the abductor shall be tried under national law for these charges,
REQUIRES that if it is determined the child was a runaway, it shall be investigated the reason for the child running away,
ORDERS that penalties shall be assessed to the parents if they were abusing,
ALLOWS for a relative to have temporary custody of the child instead of the parents during this investigation,
MANDATES parent-child counseling if a runaway is returned.

ARTICLE I
RECOGNIZING the problem of missing children,
BELIEVING that the problem of missing children is a grave one in need of a solution,
RECOGNIZING that a previous resolution to fix this problem, Missing Minors Database, has been repealed.
DEFINING
Child- A Person who is too young to legally be an adult in their country of residence
Missing Child- A child that has disappeared and cannot be found for twelve hours.
Abductor- The person who captured the Missing Child, if such a capture happened.
ARTICLE II
THE WORLD ASSEMBLY, in order to solve this problem, hereby required nations to create individual Missing Children Organizations (MCOs),
• Access to any information about the missing children
RECCOMENDS national governments provide adequate funding to these organizations so they can function properly,
ALLOWING Nations without funds for an MCO to apply to the World Assembly General Assembly (WAGA) for funding.
ARTICLE III
RECOGNIZING the potential for wrong doing by the National MCOs,
BELIEVING that any wrong doing by MCOs could have a devastating impact on the finding of missing children,
THE WORLD ASSEMBLY hereby creates the Missing Children Organizations Inspection Force (MCOIF)
ARTICLE IV
GRANTS MCOIF the following:
• The right to inspect any MCO at any time
• A nation with an MCO MUST let MCOIF do their duty with regards to inspections
• MCOIF MUST inspect EVERY MCO once every six months
• MCOIF will get funds from the WAGA General fund.
ARTICLE VI
IF FOUND, the Abductor must be tried under National Law.

this is draft 1. suggestions?
Last edited by Mahaj WA Seat on Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:40 am, edited 18 times in total.
Member of The South and Osiris
Representing Mahaj in the World Assembly.
The Mahaj Factbook.

Author of Missing Minors Act (Repealed) and In Regards to Cloning
Mike the Progressive wrote:
Brogavia wrote:Fuck bitches, get money.
You shall be my god.

Georgism wrote:Fuck off you cunt, I'm always nice.

NERVUN wrote:Yog zap!

Cool Egg Sandwich wrote:I am the Urinater..... I'll be back.

Jedi Utopians wrote:5) Now, saying that a nation couldn't be part of OPEC would be bold. AIPEC sounds like something you'd want to get checked out by a physician for.

Kylarnatia
Powerbroker

Founded: Jul 07, 2008
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Kylarnatia » Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:08 am

One question, I know this might not be suitable for the resolution, which I will support if approved. But where will the WAGA gain enough money to fund not only the MCOIF that has to inspect every singal MCO in the world, but the nations that cannot afford the MCO themselves? That could be a slight slump logically...but I don't know if that loophole will actually exsist.
The Ancient Empire of Kylarnatia // Imperium Antiquum Kylarnatiae
Lord of Gholgoth | Factbook (Work in Progress) | Embassy & Consulate Programme
I write mostly in PMT-FaNT, and I enjoy worldbuilding and storytelling. Any questions? Ask away!
NationState's friendly neighbourhood Egyptologist
Come one, come all to my Trading Card Bazaar!
"Kylarnatia is a rare Nile platypus." - Kyrusia

Mahaj WA Seat
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Mahaj WA Seat » Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:11 am

Kylarnatia wrote:One question, I know this might not be suitable for the resolution, which I will support if approved. But where will the WAGA gain enough money to fund not only the MCOIF that has to inspect every singal MCO in the world, but the nations that cannot afford the MCO themselves? That could be a slight slump logically...but I don't know if that loophole will actually exsist.

well, how much money exactly is in the GA Fund? I don't know, you don't know, nobody knows, so I assume there is enough that can cover the financial costs.
The Mahaj Factbook.

You shall be my god.

Jedi Utopians wrote:5) Now, saying that a nation couldn't be part of OPEC would be bold. AIPEC sounds like something you'd want to get checked out by a physician for.

Kylarnatia
Powerbroker

Postby Kylarnatia » Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:15 am

Mahaj WA Seat wrote:
Kylarnatia wrote:One question, I know this might not be suitable for the resolution, which I will support if approved. But where will the WAGA gain enough money to fund not only the MCOIF that has to inspect every singal MCO in the world, but the nations that cannot afford the MCO themselves? That could be a slight slump logically...but I don't know if that loophole will actually exsist.

well, how much money exactly is in the GA Fund? I don't know, you don't know, nobody knows, so I assume there is enough that can cover the financial costs.

Indeed, I guess thats too fine a detail :P

Also, why not a MCO per region, and the countries of the region give money in to support that cost - or can that not be done?
I write mostly in PMT-FaNT, and I enjoy worldbuilding and storytelling. Any questions? Ask away!

Mahaj WA Seat
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Mahaj WA Seat » Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:43 am

Kylarnatia wrote:
Mahaj WA Seat wrote:well, how much money exactly is in the GA Fund? I don't know, you don't know, nobody knows, so I assume there is enough that can cover the financial costs.

Also, why not a MCO per region, and the countries of the region give money in to support that cost - or can that not be done?

it could be done. But then you'd need a really big MCO, and it just makes more sense, I think, to do it per nation. And also, then non WA region members wouldn't have to chip in the money. So I think it makes more sense for nation based MCOs.
The Mahaj Factbook.

You shall be my god.

Kylarnatia
Powerbroker

Postby Kylarnatia » Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:48 am

Mahaj WA Seat wrote:
Kylarnatia wrote:

it could be done. But then you'd need a really big MCO, and it just makes more sense, I think, to do it per nation. And also, then non WA region members wouldn't have to chip in the money. So I think it makes more sense for nation based MCOs.

Fair enough - thats all I ponder at the moment, thanks ;)

Mahaj WA Seat
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Mahaj WA Seat » Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:15 am

Kylarnatia wrote:
Mahaj WA Seat wrote:it could be done. But then you'd need a really big MCO, and it just makes more sense, I think, to do it per nation. And also, then non WA region members wouldn't have to chip in the money. So I think it makes more sense for nation based MCOs.

Fair enough - thats all I ponder at the moment, thanks ;)

no problem.
And if you have any other questions/comments, feel free to post them here or telegram me.
The Mahaj Factbook.

You shall be my god.

Darenjo
Minister

Founded: Mar 31, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Darenjo » Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:14 pm

Runaways count as missing children under this, so could we please have a clause eithr requiring or encouraging parent-child counseling after the runaway is returned? Or, if the parents were abusive, a way for someone else to have at least temporary custody of the child instead of the parents?
Dr. Park Si-Jung, Ambassador to the World Assembly for The People's Democracy of Darenjo

Proud Member of Eastern Islands of Dharma!

Mahaj WA Seat
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Mahaj WA Seat » Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:40 pm

Darenjo wrote:Runaways count as missing children under this, so could we please have a clause eithr requiring or encouraging parent-child counseling after the runaway is returned? Or, if the parents were abusive, a way for someone else to have at least temporary custody of the child instead of the parents?

so something like:

MANDATES that penalties shall be assessed to the parents if they were abusing,
MANDATES parent-child counseling after a runaway is returned.

or should i do it differently?
The Mahaj Factbook.

You shall be my god.

Darenjo
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Darenjo » Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:26 pm

Mahaj WA Seat wrote:
Darenjo wrote:Runaways count as missing children under this, so could we please have a clause eithr requiring or encouraging parent-child counseling after the runaway is returned? Or, if the parents were abusive, a way for someone else to have at least temporary custody of the child instead of the parents?

so something like:

MANDATES that penalties shall be assessed to the parents if they were abusing,
MANDATES parent-child counseling after a runaway is returned.

That would be acceptable. Thank you.
Dr. Park Si-Jung, Ambassador to the World Assembly for The People's Democracy of Darenjo

Mahaj WA Seat
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Mahaj WA Seat » Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:30 pm

Darenjo wrote:
Mahaj WA Seat wrote:so something like:

That would be acceptable. Thank you.

no problem.

i'll add it to the proposal when i make a second draft.
The Mahaj Factbook.

You shall be my god.

Charlotte Ryberg
The Muse of the Westcountry

Founded: Mar 14, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:59 pm

The basic format of the first version was actually better. I wonder if that could still be used as a template?

Thanks,

-Ms. S. Harper.

Darenjo
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Darenjo » Sat Jan 01, 2011 4:06 pm

Charlotte Ryberg wrote:The basic format of the first version was actually better. I wonder if that could still be used as a template?

Thanks,

-Ms. S. Harper.

It can't be called duplication anymore :p

Mahaj WA Seat
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Mahaj WA Seat » Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:01 pm

Charlotte Ryberg wrote:The basic format of the first version was actually better. I wonder if that could still be used as a template?

Thanks,

-Ms. S. Harper.

I assume by first version you mean the original MMD?

I shall take a look and try it out and post the results.
The Mahaj Factbook.

You shall be my god.

Charlotte Ryberg
The Muse of the Westcountry

Founded: Mar 14, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:13 pm

Mahaj WA Seat wrote:

Thanks,

-Ms. S. Harper.

I assume by first version you mean the original MMD?

I shall take a look and try it out and post the results.

It's just the way it was worded which interests us.

Also:
RECOGNIZING that a previous resolution to fix this problem, Missing Minors Database, has been repealed.

That may be a HoC issue as the original has been struck from existence.

Flibbleites
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jan 02, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Flibbleites » Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Charlotte Ryberg wrote:Also:

That may be a HoC issue as the original has been struck from existence.

Not really, technically that line is referring to the repeal and since repeals can't be repealed...

Bob Flibble
WA Representative

(OOC: Don't take that as any sort of ruling, it's more along the lines of thinking out loud.)

Quelesh
Minister

Founded: Jun 09, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Quelesh » Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:17 am

Runaways should be excluded entirely, or at least there should be a clause allowing nations to exclude them. No nation should be forced to expend any police resources hunting down runaways who may have every right to run away in that nation.

I would be more comfortable with a proposal that dealt with abducted children only.

Also, if a nation has no children (by the definition of "child" in this proposal), is it still required to create an MCO and have it inspected once every six months?
"I hate mankind, for I think myself one of the best of them, and I know how bad I am." - Samuel Johnson

"Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it." - George Bernard Shaw
Political Compass | Economic Left/Right: -7.75 | Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -10.00

Mahaj WA Seat
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Mahaj WA Seat » Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:26 am

Quelesh wrote:Runaways should be excluded entirely, or at least there should be a clause allowing nations to exclude them. No nation should be forced to expend any police resources hunting down runaways who may have every right to run away in that nation.

True. But since it seems Darenjo wants runaways to be included and you want runaways to be excluded, I want more people to throw in their opinion here. But such a clause could be
RECOGNIZING that this resolution does not apply to runaways.

Quelesh wrote:Also, if a nation has no children (by the definition of "child" in this proposal), is it still required to create an MCO and have it inspected once every six months?

No. At least, not in this draft.
The Mahaj Factbook.

You shall be my god.

Eireann Fae
Minister

Founded: Oct 15, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Eireann Fae » Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:32 am

Mahaj WA Seat wrote:True. But since it seems Darenjo wants runaways to be included and you want runaways to be excluded, I want more people to throw in their opinion here. But such a clause could be
RECOGNIZING that this resolution does not apply to runaways.

Alexandra rises to speak on this, but is interrupted by the voice of an even younger Fae Human; one who has not spoken up in debate since the original 'Missing Minors' act was passed. "Eireann Fae respects the bodily sovereignty of every one of its inhabitants. We would ask that runaways be excluded." Rowan and her slightly older colleague exchange smiles as the child approaches the desk assigned to Eireann Fae. Epiſkœ is noticeably absent, but there's no time to look for her just yet. Melöʃina welcomes the girl back, and quickly goes over a couple points of the proposal with her.

"Also," continues Rowan, after their little conference, "there are a couple of problems with your proposal. With your definition of 'Missing Child' for one; in twelve hours, an abductor could cross several international borders, depending on method of travel. Even our gliders could have one leaving the Islands of Dharma in that time-frame. If a parent, guardian, or even responsible friend reports a child to be missing, and possibly in danger, we believe the response should be immediate. We would not accept a twelve-hour delay for a missing adult, Ambassador. It will never do for children."

"Also, we believe the statement in the second article should begin '• Access to any relevant information...' There are matters of privacy and efficiency to consider, particularly when lives may be in danger. Every little thing about the child need not be known to pursue them and their abductors."

"Also," says Alexandra, not wanting to be left out, "it's spelled r-e-c-o-m-m-e-n-d-s."

Mahaj WA Seat
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Mahaj WA Seat » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:03 am

Eireann Fae wrote:
Mahaj WA Seat wrote:True. But since it seems Darenjo wants runaways to be included and you want runaways to be excluded, I want more people to throw in their opinion here. But such a clause could be

Alexandra rises to speak on this, but is interrupted by the voice of an even younger Fae Human; one who has not spoken up in debate since the original 'Missing Minors' act was passed. "Eireann Fae respects the bodily sovereignty of every one of its inhabitants. We would ask that runaways be excluded." Rowan and her slightly older colleague exchange smiles as the child approaches the desk assigned to Eireann Fae. Epiſkœ is noticeably absent, but there's no time to look for her just yet. Melöʃina welcomes the girl back, and quickly goes over a couple points of the proposal with her.

"Also," continues Rowan, after their little conference, "there are a couple of problems with your proposal. With your definition of 'Missing Child' for one; in twelve hours, an abductor could cross several international borders, depending on method of travel. Even our gliders could have one leaving the Islands of Dharma in that time-frame. If a parent, guardian, or even responsible friend reports a child to be missing, and possibly in danger, we believe the response should be immediate. We would not accept a twelve-hour delay for a missing adult, Ambassador. It will never do for children."

"Also, we believe the statement in the second article should begin '• Access to any relevant information...' There are matters of privacy and efficiency to consider, particularly when lives may be in danger. Every little thing about the child need not be known to pursue them and their abductors."

"Also," says Alexandra, not wanting to be left out, "it's spelled r-e-c-o-m-m-e-n-d-s."

Mr. V, the representative from Mahaj and Mahaj WA Seat to the World Assembly, stood up.

Thank you for your opinion in regards to runaways. I ask for more people to give their opinions on this, but it seems like we have a divide right now. I'd like to know whether Darenjo is the only nation that wants runaways included or if there are others as well.
As for the hour thing, what would you suggest? Immediately? One hour? Two?
As for relevant information-- i assume it would be things like a description of the child, name, address, and where the child was last seen? Very well. And we will do a spell check before submitting this. Thanks, though.
The Mahaj Factbook.

You shall be my god.

Parti Ouvrier
Minister

Founded: Aug 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Parti Ouvrier » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:20 am

I wasn't aware we used any money around here, so that question is irrelevant.
For a voluntary Socialist democratic republic of England, Scotland, Wales and a United Socialist Democratic Federal Republic of Ireland in a United Socialist Europe.
Leave Nato - abolish trident, abolish presidential monarchies (directly elected presidents) and presidential Prime Ministers

Kylarnatia
Powerbroker

Postby Kylarnatia » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:33 am

Parti Ouvrier wrote:

I wasn't aware we used any money around here, so that question is irrelevant.

Thats why I said it might not be a suitable question, I just asked it to see how the WA members actually reflect on that concept ;)

Darenjo
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Darenjo » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:41 am

Dr. Park smiles at Rowan, glad to see an old ally back in the assembly.

"My government, should the general opinion be that runaways be excluded, is willing to accept that, on the condition that nations be allowed to include runaways in their MCOs should they wish. Also, we agree with the Faerie government in reducing the time frame of a response. I'm not sure if we want an immediate response - it would cause many false alarms - but 1 hour should certainly be the upper limit on how long a response has to start. Also, to answer another question, the WA reserves are incomprehensively vast."

Mahaj WA Seat
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Mahaj WA Seat » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:52 am

Darenjo wrote:Dr. Park smiles at Rowan, glad to see an old ally back in the assembly.

"My government, should the general opinion be that runaways be excluded, is willing to accept that, on the condition that nations be allowed to include runaways in their MCOs should they wish. Also, we agree with the Faerie government in reducing the time frame of a response. I'm not sure if we want an immediate response - it would cause many false alarms - but 1 hour should certainly be the upper limit on how long a response has to start. Also, to answer another question, the WA reserves are incomprehensively vast."

very well. Perhaps an option to allow runaways in the MCO if so desired.
And yes, i was worried about false alarms. Lets say after an hour, a response starts.
Very nice.
The Mahaj Factbook.

You shall be my god.

Mahaj WA Seat
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Mahaj WA Seat » Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:08 pm

anyone else have suggestions?
The Mahaj Factbook.

You shall be my god.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives