NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] PARENTAL CONSENT ACT

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.

Which of the following do you support concerning abortion for minors?

Parental Consent Laws
17%
Parental Notification Laws
14%
Neither of the Above
69%

Total votes : 153

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 29, 2009
New York Times Democracy

[DRAFT] PARENTAL CONSENT ACT

Postby Christian Democrats » Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:32 pm

PARENTAL CONSENT ACT
Council: General Assembly
Category: Moral Decency
--------------------------------
[DRAFT 7]

SECTION I

The General Assembly recognizes that member nations have different laws regarding the legality of abortion and that different restrictions presently exist in member nations, and that in some nations, no restrictions exist.

SECTION II

DIRECT ABORTION is the intentional, or induced, termination of a pregnancy for reasons other than preserving the life or health of a pregnant person.

PREGNANCY is the condition of carrying a developing offspring within the body.

A PREGNANT MINOR is someone pregnant who is younger than the age of majority in a given nation.

SECTION III

A pregnant minor must obtain the informed, written consent of a biological parent or legal guardian (herein this procedure shall be known as "parental consent") before procuring a direct abortion.

If it is impossible for a pregnant minor to obtain parental consent, then consent may be obtained from a judge (or an equivalent authority) by court order (or an equivalent order) for good cause shown. A pregnant minor may first seek such consent without trying to obtain parental consent if a parent or guardian is responsible for impregnating the minor.

The provisions of this resolution do not apply to legally married pregnant minors and pregnant minors who are legally emancipated from their parent(s)/guardian(s) and, hence, are no longer dependents.

SECTION IV

This resolution does not affect the ability of member states to enact more restrictive legislation pertaining to abortion, including their ability to prohibit abortion.
Last edited by Christian Democrats on Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:32 pm, edited 32 times in total.

Nova Caeli
Spokesperson

Founded: Nov 15, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Nova Caeli » Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:06 pm

what are you thinking? do you not realise that your proposal means that if the child wants an abortion but her parent doesnt she will be forced to bear child. That is a terrible thing in so many ways imagine how it shall be used for instance parent wants a new kid but cant have one so gets their kid raped and then she is forced by the parent to have the baby. Obviously I am not suggesting this will happen alot yet just an example of how it could be used
Last edited by Nova Caeli on Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mousebumples
Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Mousebumples » Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:15 pm

Check your character count. I'm pretty sure you're over the limit.

As a result, there will have to be some cuts so I will wait to make any comments until after that point.

Suffice to say, though, I am opposed.
Leader of the Mouse-a-rific Mousetastic Moderator Mousedom of Mousebumples
Past WA Delegate for Europeia & Monkey Island
Proud Member of UNOG
I'm an "adorably marvelous NatSov" - Mallorea and Riva
GA Resolutions (sorted by category) | Why Repeal? | Reppy's Sig Workshop

Grand Europic States
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 07, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Grand Europic States » Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:22 pm

Of all the draconian proposals I've seen lately, this is by far, without exception the very worst.
Ambassador Tristan Winstrom
Permanent Representative of The New Republic of Grand Europic States to the World Assembly
Minister of State for the Europic Diplomatic Corps
President of the Council of Europic Diplomats

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:24 pm

:eyebrow:
Parental involvement in a child's decision to procure an abortion isn't that crazy. :o (There such laws in a majority of U.S. states.) Currently, 24 states require consent from one or both parents, and 11 states require one or both parents to be notified. My proposal isn't that nuts. (24+11=35 :eek: ; 35/50 = 70% of U.S. states)
Last edited by Christian Democrats on Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Eireann Fae WA Mission
Envoy

Founded: Nov 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Eireann Fae WA Mission » Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:33 pm

Christian Democrats wrote::eyebrow:
Parental involvement in a child's decision to procure an abortion isn't that crazy. :o (There such laws in a majority of U.S. states.) Currently, 24 states require consent from one or both parents, and 11 states require one or both parents to be notified. My proposal isn't that nuts. (24+11=35 :eek: ; 35/50 = 70% of U.S. states)

"We have read of this fictional 'United States'. We do not agree with many of their policies, including this one."

(OOC: Real World references are bad, mm'kay?)
"An it harm none, do what ye will"
“Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive.” -C. S. Lewis
Click here for a list of existing resolutions!

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:36 pm

Nova Caeli wrote:what are you thinking? do you not realise that your proposal means that if the child wants an abortion but her parent doesnt she will be forced to bear child. That is a terrible thing in so many ways imagine how it shall be used for instance parent wants a new kid but cant have one so gets their kid raped and then she is forced by the parent to have the baby. Obviously I am not suggesting this will happen alot yet just an example of how it could be used

You're sick :!:

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:40 pm

Eireann Fae WA Mission wrote:
Christian Democrats wrote::eyebrow:

"We have read of this fictional 'United States'. We do not agree with many of their policies, including this one."

(OOC: Real World references are bad, mm'kay?)

In said "real world," what is your home country? If the U.S., then what state? :geek:
Leo Tolstoy wrote:Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it.
GA#160: Forced Marriages Ban Act (79%)
GA#175: Organ and Blood Donations Act (68%)^
SC#082: Repeal "Liberate Catholic" (80%)
GA#200: Foreign Marriage Recognition (54%)
GA#213: Privacy Protection Act (70%)
GA#231: Marital Rape Justice Act (81%)^
GA#233: Ban Profits on Workers' Deaths (80%)*
GA#249: Stopping Suicide Seeds (70%)^
GA#253: Repeal "Freedom in Medical Research" (76%)
GA#285: Assisted Suicide Act (70%)^
GA#310: Disabled Voters Act (81%)
GA#373: Repeal "Convention on Execution" (54%)
GA#468: Prohibit Private Prisons (57%)^

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution
#360: Electile Dysfunction
#452: Foetal Furore
#560: Bicameral Backlash
#570: Clerical Errors

Glen-Rhodes
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 25, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Glen-Rhodes » Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:40 pm

Why is it that you are so intent on 'reducing' abortion? We already have a resolution on that. Why not just go for broke and try to ban abortion altogether? At least then we'll know you're being genuine.

- Dr. B. Castro

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:43 pm

Glen-Rhodes wrote:Why is it that you are so intent on 'reducing' abortion? We already have a resolution on that. Why not just go for broke and try to ban abortion altogether? At least then we'll know you're being genuine.

- Dr. B. Castro

A) Why not?

B) What resolution regulates abortions?

C) Chances of WA completely banning abortion :rofl: . . . 0.0000000001%
Leo Tolstoy wrote:Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it.
GA#160: Forced Marriages Ban Act (79%)
GA#175: Organ and Blood Donations Act (68%)^
SC#082: Repeal "Liberate Catholic" (80%)
GA#200: Foreign Marriage Recognition (54%)
GA#213: Privacy Protection Act (70%)
GA#231: Marital Rape Justice Act (81%)^
GA#233: Ban Profits on Workers' Deaths (80%)*
GA#249: Stopping Suicide Seeds (70%)^
GA#253: Repeal "Freedom in Medical Research" (76%)
GA#285: Assisted Suicide Act (70%)^
GA#310: Disabled Voters Act (81%)
GA#373: Repeal "Convention on Execution" (54%)
GA#468: Prohibit Private Prisons (57%)^

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution
#360: Electile Dysfunction
#452: Foetal Furore
#560: Bicameral Backlash
#570: Clerical Errors

Mousebumples
Game Moderator

Postby Mousebumples » Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:10 pm

Christian Democrats wrote:B) What resolution regulates abortions?

Call me crazy, but I'm thinking it might be the Reduction of Abortion Act. Or maybe the International Radio Act? It is so hard to figure out what resolutions are about when authors insist on using such non-specific titles! [/sarcasm]
Leader of the Mouse-a-rific Mousetastic Moderator Mousedom of Mousebumples
Past WA Delegate for Europeia & Monkey Island
Proud Member of UNOG
I'm an "adorably marvelous NatSov" - Mallorea and Riva
GA Resolutions (sorted by category) | Why Repeal? | Reppy's Sig Workshop

Bergnovinaia
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 26, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Bergnovinaia » Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:13 pm

Mousebumples wrote:

Call me crazy, but I'm thinking it might be the Reduction of Abortion Act. Or maybe the International Radio Act? It is so hard to figure out what resolutions are about when authors insist on using such non-specific titles! [/sarcasm]

This ^^^
I am pursuing my undergraduate degree from Texas A&M University in Psychology and Spanish. My goal in life is to be a marriage and family counselor. If you have questions about me or my life, just ask!

My girlfriend and I blog about Christian & general marriage, relationship, and dating advice!

NS member since 2009. WA Resolution Author (mostly all repealed), NS sports fanatic.

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Postby Grays Harbor » Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:38 pm

Mousebumples wrote:

You, Sir, owe me a new briefcase, as my assistant has just spat his tea all over mine upon hearing your most recent comment. :roll:

OOC: Seriously, the passed resolutions are not that difficult to find. They are stickied at the top of the GA forum, with all the titles listed in order and links to the text of each. One would think they were hidden in a dark closet behind a locked cabinet under the hedges for all that some folk seem to not read them prior to proposing duplicate drafts.
Everything you know about me is wrong. Or a rumor. Something like that.

Not Ta'veren

Flibbleites
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jan 02, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Flibbleites » Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:41 pm

Mousebumples wrote:Check your character count. I'm pretty sure you're over the limit.

As a result, there will have to be some cuts so I will wait to make any comments until after that point.

Suffice to say, though, I am opposed.

And I suggest that the first thing to go be that fraking glossary (aka Section I).

Of course, since The Rogue Nation of Flibbleites stands firmly in the NatSov camp and this is definitely not an international issue I'd follow removing the glossary with the removal of the rest of the proposal.

Bob Flibble
WA Representative

Quelesh
Minister

Founded: Jun 09, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Quelesh » Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:27 am

No, no, a thousand times no.

Nations that have an age of majority should not be forced to deny such a fundamental right to an entire segment of their population.

Vehemently opposed.
"I hate mankind, for I think myself one of the best of them, and I know how bad I am." - Samuel Johnson

"Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it." - George Bernard Shaw
Political Compass | Economic Left/Right: -7.75 | Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -10.00

Shripati
Lobbyist

Founded: Nov 13, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Shripati » Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:39 am

Parents that children are dependant on do have a right, (in my opinion) to know what a child is getting up to, however a pregnant child needing to have consent from said parent is a huge controversial (as we can see) issue. I do see where your coming from though and as a parent is responsible for their child when they are below the legal age, I'd be willing to support this act.

Southern Dixiecrats
Secretary

Founded: Oct 18, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Southern Dixiecrats » Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:14 am

I hate the current rules. This actually is good, but because of technicalities, they could say it discriminates based on age.

Nova Caeli
Spokesperson

Founded: Nov 15, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Nova Caeli » Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:24 am

I am not sick just showing faults in your proposal if the bearer is forced to bear child imagine the breaches of human rights and freedoms which would be put in place, and your poor response to my question doesnt just show the faults in this proposal but the faults of you in making proposals you see your supposed to be on the potential voters side not calling him sick for just for saying a way in which your proposal can be used to better some but mainly not others.
Why do you even think that this should be a WA argument abortion is a very.. edgy subject it really no one should be trying to make laws about it on either side of the argument

Urgench
Minister

Founded: May 21, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Urgench » Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:42 am

This resolution is nonsense, largely illegal, and obscenely immoral. The notion of a pregnant married child (in itself an odious concept) obtaining an abortion while her unmarried pregnant corrolary must obtain parental consent is morally and logically inexplicable.

We oppose it absolutely.

Yours,
Last edited by Urgench on Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
- Mongkha, Khan of Kashgar, Ambassador in Plenipotentiary to the World Assembly for the Federated Sublime Khanate of Urgench -

Exchange Embassies with the FSKU here - http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=67

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:33 am

Mousebumples wrote:

When I posed my question, I was quite aware of what your response would be, but the Reduction of Abortion Act does nothing to regulate abortions and in no way blocks future restrictions from being placed on abortions by the GA. :geek: Find something that makes my proposal illegal.

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:36 am

Shripati wrote:Parents that children are dependant on do have a right, (in my opinion) to know what a child is getting up to, however a pregnant child needing to have consent from said parent is a huge controversial (as we can see) issue. I do see where your coming from though and as a parent is responsible for their child when they are below the legal age, I'd be willing to support this act.

^ Exactly what I'm saying.

Parents have a right to make medical decisions for their dependent children. Why should abortion be an exception?

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:40 am

Urgench wrote:This resolution is nonsense, largely illegal, and obscenely immoral. The notion of a pregnant married child (in itself an odious concept) obtaining an abortion while her unmarried pregnant corrolary must obtain parental consent is morally and logically inexplicable.

We oppose it absolutely.

Yours,

How is it illegal?

To give a REAL WORLD EXAMPLE:
In the U.S., the age of majority is 18. In most places, at 16, you can marry with parental consent. (My grandmother did so and became pregnant a few months after being married . . . she gave birth to my mother a week before her 17th birthday.)

A married child is no longer a dependent of her parents, so her parents do not have a right to make medical decisions for her.

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:45 am

Nova Caeli wrote:I am not sick just showing faults in your proposal if the bearer is forced to bear child imagine the breaches of human rights and freedoms which would be put in place, and your poor response to my question doesnt just show the faults in this proposal but the faults of you in making proposals you see your supposed to be on the potential voters side not calling him sick for just for saying a way in which your proposal can be used to better some but mainly not others.
Why do you even think that this should be a WA argument abortion is a very.. edgy subject it really no one should be trying to make laws about it on either side of the argument

A) Suggesting that a parent would have someone rape his/her own child just so he/she can have a grandchild is disgusting.

B) Isn't this a political themed online video game? Why not debate and try to pass laws concerning edgy subjects? If we don't debate and pass laws on edgy subjects (cf. The Freedom of Marriage Act, GA Resolution #15), then what fun is this game?

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:49 am

Southern Dixiecrats wrote:I hate the current rules. This actually is good, but because of technicalities, they could say it discriminates based on age.

Many laws discriminate in some way.

E.g.

Progressive taxation discriminates against the rich. (By the way, I support flat taxes, but do I believe progressive taxes are illegal . . . NO)

Having "separate but equal" restrooms for men and women is discriminatory. (I support having separate restrooms.)

Etcetera

Urgench
Minister

Founded: May 21, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Urgench » Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:17 pm

Christian Democrats wrote:
Urgench wrote:This resolution is nonsense, largely illegal, and obscenely immoral. The notion of a pregnant married child (in itself an odious concept) obtaining an abortion while her unmarried pregnant corrolary must obtain parental consent is morally and logically inexplicable.

We oppose it absolutely.

Yours,

How is it illegal?

To give a REAL WORLD EXAMPLE:
In the U.S., the age of majority is 18. In most places, at 16, you can marry with parental consent. (My grandmother did so and became pregnant a few months after being married . . . she gave birth to my mother a week before her 17th birthday.)

A married child is no longer a dependent of her parents, so her parents do not have a right to make medical decisions for her.

Your Excellency should familiarise themselves with the rules for resolutions writing, then read the passed resolutions of this organisation, and not use fables of the entirely mythical Real World as a guide to making laws for this organisation.

Yours,
- Mongkha, Khan of Kashgar, Ambassador in Plenipotentiary to the World Assembly for the Federated Sublime Khanate of Urgench -

Exchange Embassies with the FSKU here - http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=67

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly