NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] Missing Minors Protection Act

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.
Wildeson
Attaché

Founded: Sep 09, 2010
Ex-Nation

[PASSED] Missing Minors Protection Act

Postby Wildeson » Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:55 pm

Missing Minors Protection Act

Category: International Security
Strength: Mild

Believing in the sovereign right of minors to their own safety and well-being;

Concerned that there are individuals who still willingly and deliberately abduct minors against their will;

Noting that the abductor can be anyone, whether a stranger, trusted parent, family member or friend;

Defines, for the purposes of this resolution:

Minor: a citizen who is under a nation's established age of majority;
Abductee: a minor who has been abducted by an individual or group of;
Abductor: an individual who has willingly and knowingly kidnapped a minor;
Abduction: the act of kidnapping of a minor or group of minors by force for any reason.

Considers runaways as missing minors, for the purpose of this resolution: such cases will be tagged as such to distinguish from abductions;

Hereby establishes the Return Home Safe Agency (RHSA) to create and maintain the missing minors database and alert system which will track the whereabouts of minors who have been reported as missing or abducted.

Mandates that each member nation shall maintain their own database that shall be accessible only to the law enforcement authorities of the nation.

Urges each member nation to make available their database to RHSA whether or not there is reasonable belief that the missing juveniles have been taken across internationally recognized borders.

Requires that where a minor has more than one parent or guardian, that the accompanying guardian or parent have an authorized notice from the other stating that they are permitted to take the minor across the international border.

Permits non-member participation and cooperation in RHSA for the benefit of safely returning home abducted minors who have been taken across international borders into non-member nations, with the mutual understanding that sovereignty will be respected.

Suggests that upon the safe return of the abductee that the case be considered resolved.

Recommends that should the abductee, unfortunately, be murdered by the abductor, efforts should be made to return the body to the family for an appropriate funeral and to bring the abductor to justice.

The database shall contain the following information but is not limited to:
  • The minor's last known whereabouts; where they were kidnapped from
  • A physical description of the juvenile; weight, height, unique features
  • Their age, date of birth
  • Languages known and/or spoken
  • A recent photograph (or if unavailable, a sketch) preferably dated within the last three months before the abduction

The alert system shall include but is not limited to broadcasts across all available media (such as TV news), mass notification with alerts going out to all border crossings, transportation hubs and notification to all other legal enforcement authorities in the nation.

The notification shall contain a brief description and a recent photo or sketch of the abductee and information on the abductor if it is available.

Law enforcement authorities of the abductee's nation shall not cross the internationally recognized border without first receiving clearance from the other nation if ever they wish to conduct an investigation abroad.

Co-authored by Meekinos
===========================================================================================================================================
Thank you also for the others who have been giving me very useful advice!

MODEDIT: At Vote discussion begins here.
Last edited by Flibbleites on Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:42 pm, edited 13 times in total.

Freeoplis
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 18, 2009
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Freeoplis » Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:14 pm

We fail to see the solution to the problem raised in the creation of a database. Border and port authority controls are a practical solution as are the confiscation of passports etc, merely creating a database we feel wouldn't solve much, more practical steps should be built into the proposal.
The Republic of Freeoplis
Region of Absolution

Holy Roman Confederate
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Holy Roman Confederate » Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:34 pm

While the HRC values our children as future leaders we cannot support this measure. It is incomplete in its current form, and to compensate for that overcompensates in regards to safe guarding schools and other education facilities. Perhaps, were the framework of this proposal totally reworked we might change our stance.
http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=78531
http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=79073&p=3753933#p3753933

Hegstoria
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Hegstoria » Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:37 pm

Well if I were a kidnapper, wouldn't it be easier to just go to a non WA nation?
"Quotation is a serviceable substitute for wit."-Oscar Wilde

Defcon 5: Pax Hegstoriana
Defcon 4: Ehh, things are pretty good, but a bit heated
Defcon 3: War seems near, but not at the moment, and far from the mind
Defcon 2: Get a helmet
Defcon 1: Put on said helmet

Colonies: South-West Hegstodia, The Hegstoria Rhodesian Confederacy(3 independent colonies), Fuair

Major Leaders: President Jonathan F. Shepherd, Vice President Francis P. Sinclair, Minister of the Interior Samuel D. Lisbon, Minister of the Armed Forces General Stanley C. McAlister

Map: -currently under a redesign-

Size: 7,825,600 km^2

Life Expectancy: 84.59 years Courtesy of Unibot

Alliances: Skyguard Defense Network

embassy program

Quelesh
Minister

Founded: Jun 09, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Quelesh » Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:24 pm

The vast majority of "missing children" are runaway teenagers, and the vast majority of kidnapped children are abducted by a parent as part of a custody dispute. This is a solution in search of a problem. It's a particularly ineffectual one at that, since all it does is "create a database."
"I hate mankind, for I think myself one of the best of them, and I know how bad I am." - Samuel Johnson

"Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it." - George Bernard Shaw
Political Compass | Economic Left/Right: -7.75 | Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -10.00

Glen-Rhodes
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 25, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Glen-Rhodes » Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:19 am

Quelesh wrote:The vast majority of "missing children" are runaway teenagers, and the vast majority of kidnapped children are abducted by a parent as part of a custody dispute. This is a solution in search of a problem. It's a particularly ineffectual one at that, since all it does is "create a database."

And then there are the vast numbers of actual missing children who are thrown out with the runaway bathwater.

- Dr. B. Castro

Quelesh
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Quelesh » Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:01 am

Glen-Rhodes wrote:
Quelesh wrote:The vast majority of "missing children" are runaway teenagers, and the vast majority of kidnapped children are abducted by a parent as part of a custody dispute. This is a solution in search of a problem. It's a particularly ineffectual one at that, since all it does is "create a database."

And then there are the vast numbers of actual missing children who are thrown out with the runaway bathwater.

I am not at all convinced that the number of children kidnapped by strangers is "vast," or that it requires WA intervention. Stranger abductions are exceedingly rare.
"I hate mankind, for I think myself one of the best of them, and I know how bad I am." - Samuel Johnson

"Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it." - George Bernard Shaw
Political Compass | Economic Left/Right: -7.75 | Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -10.00

Unibot
Senator

Founded: May 25, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot » Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:40 am

We are opposed to this "Missing Children Database", due to this resolution's despicable encroachment on national sovereignty. For too long has the WA frowned upon my nation's toddlers being found in dumpsters and large KFC containers.. for this frown is unwarranted.

Yours,
Eduard Heir

Glen-Rhodes
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Glen-Rhodes » Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:22 pm

Quelesh wrote:I am not at all convinced that the number of children kidnapped by strangers is "vast," or that it requires WA intervention. Stranger abductions are exceedingly rare.

OOC: Erm... Maybe in a single nation in the real world, which consists of only about 195 nations (depending on your source and political opinion), most of which have generally effective police. Let's not forget that the World Assembly alone consists of ~11,185 nations, many of which lack substantial domestic security of any kind. Let's also not forget that the population of the NSWA universe is several magnitudes greater than that of Earth.
Last edited by Glen-Rhodes on Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mousebumples
Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Mousebumples » Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:10 pm

Here's a decent question -

Category and Strength?

And, yes, I don't believe that this is a topic that needs to be covered by the WA, as currently written.
Leader of the Mouse-a-rific Mousetastic Moderator Mousedom of Mousebumples
Past WA Delegate for Europeia & Monkey Island
Proud Member of UNOG
I'm an "adorably marvelous NatSov" - Mallorea and Riva
GA Resolutions (sorted by category) | Why Repeal? | Reppy's Sig Workshop

Glen-Rhodes
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Glen-Rhodes » Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:49 pm

Mousebumples wrote:Category and Strength?

International Security: Mild.

Quelesh
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Quelesh » Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:32 pm

Glen-Rhodes wrote:
Quelesh wrote:I am not at all convinced that the number of children kidnapped by strangers is "vast," or that it requires WA intervention. Stranger abductions are exceedingly rare.

OOC: Erm... Maybe in a single nation in the real world, which consists of only about 195 nations (depending on your source and political opinion), most of which have generally effective police. Let's not forget that the World Assembly alone consists of ~11,185 nations, many of which lack substantial domestic security of any kind. Let's also not forget that the population of the NSWA universe is several magnitudes greater than that of Earth.

OOC: Sure, the NS world could have a significant rash of stranger abductions of children that requires international legislation to address. But someone could also have invented a mind control ray that governments around the world are using to control their populations. Why doesn't someone draft a proposal regulating mind control?

Glen-Rhodes
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Glen-Rhodes » Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:54 am

Quelesh wrote:OOC: Sure, the NS world could have a significant rash of stranger abductions of children that requires international legislation to address. But someone could also have invented a mind control ray that governments around the world are using to control their populations. Why doesn't someone draft a proposal regulating mind control?

OOC: That argument doesn't follow any sort of logic. It is logical, however, to assume that the rates of abductions on real-life Earth can then be extrapolated to the NSWA universe, taking consideration that the NSWA population is several magnitudes greater than that of Earth. Then, I repeat myself, when you take into consideration how many nations lack any kind of police, the number of abductions increases.

Saying that some nation could have invented mind-control rays is a red herring, which shows that you know your argument is sub-par, and that there really is no decent reason why the World Assembly should not do something like this.
Last edited by Glen-Rhodes on Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Quelesh
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Quelesh » Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:53 pm

Glen-Rhodes wrote:
Quelesh wrote:OOC: Sure, the NS world could have a significant rash of stranger abductions of children that requires international legislation to address. But someone could also have invented a mind control ray that governments around the world are using to control their populations. Why doesn't someone draft a proposal regulating mind control?

OOC: That argument doesn't follow any sort of logic. It is logical, however, to assume that the rates of abductions on real-life Earth can then be extrapolated to the NSWA universe, taking consideration that the NSWA population is several magnitudes greater than that of Earth. Then, I repeat myself, when you take into consideration how many nations lack any kind of police, the number of abductions increases.

Saying that some nation could have invented mind-control rays is a red herring, which shows that you know your argument is sub-par, and that there really is no decent reason why the World Assembly should not do something like this.

What I was saying there is that if we can assume that stranger abductions of children are a serious problem in the NS world, unlike in real life, then we can assume that anything is a serious problem in the NS world. There are a lot of nations in the real world that do not have particularly effective police, and stranger abductions of children (either by pedophiles intent on molesting them, which is what most people think of when they think of child abduction, or for ransom) is not all that common in those nations either. More frequent is stranger abductions of adults for ransom, or related to drug trafficking or some other black market industry.

The WA shouldn't do this because it doesn't actually do anything. It creates a database which is going to be filled mostly with runaway teenagers that don't want to be found. That's it.

Charlotte Ryberg
The Muse of the Westcountry

Founded: Mar 14, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:56 am

What about children who run away from their captors? If such a database existed then the captors would be able to locate them and make them go through the ordeal again.

- Ms. Sarah Harper.

Meekinos
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 10, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Meekinos » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:58 am

Wildeson wrote:Topic: Unknown

CONCERNED about the recent number of children being kidnapped from their own neighborhoods throughout the world.

BELIEVING that children have the right to be free from harm and should not be in the hands of kidnappers.

ACCEPTING that creating an international database for missing children will help find them and lower down the kidnapping rate.

ALLOWING for this set of rules to be followed:
a.) Creating an international database for missing children funded by the countries of the World Assembly.
b.) Encouraging the members of the WA to increase security around schools wherein most children are to be found.
c.) Encouraging the members of the WA to have seminars, concerning children's security and aimed at students and parents, in schools so that the children themselves may avoid being kidnapped and the parents can help their children keep safe.

CONCLUDING that we must make the world a safer place especially for our country's next generation, our children.

I need help choosing a topic for this one and also some revising would help too.

Here's our rewrite. Feel free to adopt it. Anyone else here is free to modify this.

Category: International Security (though Social Justice may cover it as well)
Strength: Significant Mild (on Ms Harper's suggestion, which we agree with)

Concerned that there are individuals who still willing and deliberately abduct minors against their will;

Acknowledging that the abductor can be anyone, whether a stranger, trusted parent, family member or friend;

Abductee: a juvenile who has been abducted by an individual or group of;
Abductor: an individual who has willingly and knowingly kidnapped a juvenile;
Abduction: the act of kidnapping of a minor or group of minors by force for any reason.

Hereby tasks the World Assembly in establishing the Return Home Safe Agency (RHSA), to create and maintain missing minors database and alert system with the intent to track minors who have been reported as missing or abducted.

Mandates that each member nation shall maintain their own database that shall be accessible only to police or other enforcement authorities of the nation.

Urges each member nation to make available their database to RHSA whether or not there is reasonable belief that the missing juveniles have been taken across internationally recognized borders.

Requires that where a minor has more than one parent or guardian, that the accompanying guardian or parent have an authorized notice from the other stating that they are permitted to take the minor across the international border.

• The juvenile's last known whereabouts; where they were kidnapped from
  • A recent photograph, picture or image, preferably dated within the last three months before the abduction
  • Any thing else a member nation feels will aid in the safe return of the abductee.

The alert system shall include but not be limited to broadcasts across all available media, mass notification with alerts going out to all border crossings, transportation hubs; notification to all other legal enforcement authorities in the nation.

The notification shall contain a brief description of the abductee and information on the abductor if it is available.

Law enforcement authorities shall not across the internationally recognized border without first receiving clearance from the other nation and shall whether or not they are given clearance, immediately alert the authorities in the other nation of the abduction.
Last edited by Meekinos on Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ambassador Gavriil Floros
Meekinos' Official WA Ambassador
Deputy Treasurer, North Pleides Merchant's Syndicate
CEO & Financial Manager of Delta Energy Ltd.
Madame Elina Nikodemos
Executive Senior Delegate
Educator
The Hellenic Republic of Meekinos
Factbook: Your Friendly Guide to Meekinos
The paranoid, isolationist, xenophobic capitalists.

Charlotte Ryberg

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:08 am

Mild, I think. While it is certainly to do with the police the range of effect is not as large as a universal missing persons database, which was considered by us to be too heavy to handle.

Meekinos
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Meekinos » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:44 am

Charlotte Ryberg wrote:Mild, I think. While it is certainly to do with the police the range of effect is not as large as a universal missing persons database, which was considered by us to be too heavy to handle.

It could be too much but there's little harm in proposing an idea.
Madame Elina Nikodemos
Educator

Wildeson
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Wildeson » Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:11 am

Meekinos wrote:
Wildeson wrote:Topic: Unknown

CONCERNED about the recent number of children being kidnapped from their own neighborhoods throughout the world.

BELIEVING that children have the right to be free from harm and should not be in the hands of kidnappers.

ACCEPTING that creating an international database for missing children will help find them and lower down the kidnapping rate.

ALLOWING for this set of rules to be followed:
a.) Creating an international database for missing children funded by the countries of the World Assembly.
b.) Encouraging the members of the WA to increase security around schools wherein most children are to be found.
c.) Encouraging the members of the WA to have seminars, concerning children's security and aimed at students and parents, in schools so that the children themselves may avoid being kidnapped and the parents can help their children keep safe.

CONCLUDING that we must make the world a safer place especially for our country's next generation, our children.

I need help choosing a topic for this one and also some revising would help too.

Here's our rewrite. Feel free to adopt it. Anyone else here is free to modify this.

Concerned that there are individuals who still willing and deliberately abduct minors against their will;

Acknowledging that the abductor can be anyone, whether a stranger, trusted parent, family member or friend;

Hereby tasks the World Assembly in establishing the Return Home Safe Agency (RHSA), to create and maintain missing minors database and alert system with the intent to track minors who have been reported as missing or abducted.

Mandates that each member nation shall maintain their own database that shall be accessible only to police or other enforcement authorities of the nation.

• A recent photograph, picture or image, preferably dated within the last three months before the abduction
  • Any thing else a member nation feels will aid in the safe return of the abductee.

The alert system shall include but not be limited to broadcasts across all available media, mass notification with alerts going out to all border crossings, transportation hubs; notification to all other legal enforcement authorities in the nation.

The notification shall contain a brief description of the abductee and information on the abductor if it is available.

Law enforcement authorities shall not across the internationally recognized border without first receiving clearance from the other nation and shall whether or not they are given clearance, immediately alert the authorities in the other nation of the abduction.

Ok, thank you. I shall adopt it and put you as co-writer. :)

Thank you all for your help. :)
Last edited by Wildeson on Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Quadrimmina
Minister

Founded: Mar 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Quadrimmina » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:02 am

We feel the weakness of this legislation is that if there is an international kidnapper, they will most likely just take the child to a non-WA nation. This will create safe-haven nations outside of the WA. I feel that this system should include a clause that makes it available to non-WA nations to post missing children and have access to if they cooperate with the rest of the provisions as though they are part of the WA.
Sincerely,
Alexandra Kerrigan, Ambassador to the World Assembly from the Republic of Quadrimmina.
National Profile | Ambassadorial Profile | Quadrimmina Gazette-Post | Protect, Free, Restore: UDL

Authored:
GA#111 (Medical Research Ethics Act)
SC#28 (Commend Sionis Prioratus)
GA#197 (Banning Extrajudicial Transfer)

Co-authored:
GA#110 (Identity Theft Prevention Act)
GA#171 (Freedom in Medical Research)
GA#196 (Freedom of Information Act)

Charlotte Ryberg

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:05 am

Quadrimmina wrote:We feel the weakness of this legislation is that if there is an international kidnapper, they will most likely just take the child to a non-WA nation. This will create safe-haven nations outside of the WA. I feel that this system should include a clause that makes it available to non-WA nations to post missing children and have access to if they cooperate with the rest of the provisions as though they are part of the WA.

Better still, we think that in this case the suggestion of access fees should be ignored: that's probably a best measure without forcing non-members to participate.

Meekinos
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Meekinos » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:17 am

Here's a rough clause to cover that. It could be better though...

Permits non-member participation and cooperation in RHSA for the benefit of safely returning home abducted minors who have been taken across international borders into non-member nations, with the mutual understanding that sovereignty will be respected.

EDIT -- we feel it's been submitted too soon and it still needs work.
Last edited by Meekinos on Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Madame Elina Nikodemos
Educator

Wildeson
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Wildeson » Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:10 am

Meekinos wrote:Here's a rough clause to cover that. It could be better though...

Sorry about that. If the bill doesn't pass, we'll update it with a better one.

Charlotte Ryberg

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:27 am

Wildeson wrote:
Meekinos wrote:Here's a rough clause to cover that. It could be better though...

Sorry about that. If the bill doesn't pass, we'll update it with a better one.

Honoured ambassador, you could ask the moderators to voluntarily delete the current version of the proposal from the queue by filing a Getting Help Request if you wish.

- Ms. S. Harper.

Wildeson
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Wildeson » Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:49 am

Concerned that there are individuals who still willingy and deliberately abduct minors against their will;

[/quote]

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives