NATION

PASSWORD

[Passed] Anti Cyberterrorism Act

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.
American Capitalist
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 24, 2009
Ex-Nation

[Passed] Anti Cyberterrorism Act

Postby American Capitalist » Thu May 13, 2010 6:10 pm

Anti Cyberterrorism Act
A resolution to restrict political freedoms in the interest of law and order.
Category: International Security Strength: Mild

The World Assembly,

OBSERVING that a single person, known as a cyberterrorist, can potentially cause strife and havoc to the world of information technology, with relatively little funds, equipment or experience;

FURTHER OBSERVING that most cyberterrorists act and plan either individually or in groups on the internet;

BELIEVING that it is crucial to warn member states on potential cyberterror threats that may be directed at them from radical or violent groups or individuals, so they can take action to defend themselves from such attacks;

FURTHER BELIEVING that member states should also respect, as best as possible, civil liberties and the individual right to privacy when tackling cyberterrorism;

Hereby,

DEFINES for the purpose of this resolution:
• Information technology, as the development, implementation, and maintenance of computing devices and software systems to organize and communicate information electronically;
• Cyberterrorism: as any premeditated, politically or ideologically motivated attack, or threat thereof, through the use of information technology, against information or telecommunication networks, computer systems, computer programs, and data, which results in significant disruption, distress or losses of physical, economic, or infrastructural nature to targets, by sub-national groups or agents;
• Internet Service Provider(ISP): as any person or entity that operates or resells and controls any facility used to provide Internet access directly to the public;

DECLARES that conspiring, planning, carrying out, funding or aiding acts of cyberterrorism shall be outlawed in all member states, and that member states will commit to prosecute violators to the fullest extent possible in their jurisdiction;

FORBIDS member states from conspiring, planning, carrying out, funding or aiding acts of cyberterrorism, and requires member states who carry out such activities to cease and desist immediately;

REQUIRES member states and ISPs to do as much as possible within their jurisdiction to prevent and combat cyberterrorism at home and abroad, with respect given to civil liberties and the individual right to privacy under applicable national and international laws;

URGES member states to share information with each other on individuals and organizations who are suspected or known to have a history of cyberterrorism to combat the spread of cyberterrorist activities on to the international level, while respecting applicable national and international laws regarding privacy;

FURTHER URGES member states to coordinate counter-cyberterrorism activities against such cyberterrorist groups;

REQUIRES member states to freeze the assets of cyberterrorist individuals or organizations which may be used to support international cyberterrorist acts - including but not limited to: funds, computers or storage devices;

CALLS FOR member states to shut down ISPs that knowingly hosts and allows cyberterrorist activities to originate from their servers;

RECOMMENDS member states to ban or restrict convicted individual cyberterrorists from computer activity;

FURTHER RECOMMENDS member states to raise awareness about cyberterrorism and educate the general populace about protecting themselves from such attacks.

Co-Authored by Charlotte Ryberg
Last edited by American Capitalist on Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:13 pm, edited 54 times in total.
Economic Left/Right: 6.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.28

Freeoplis
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 18, 2009
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Freeoplis » Thu May 13, 2010 6:15 pm

Considering this proposal will monitor only the medium of the internet we feel this would hinder freedom of speech and civil liberties of citizens, monitoring such activity is not something we could support.
The Republic of Freeoplis
Region of Absolution

A mean old man
Senator

Founded: Jun 27, 2008
Father Knows Best State

Postby A mean old man » Thu May 13, 2010 6:18 pm

My nation is a nation that likes to know what's going on and who's saying what, and I'd certainly support this resolution once it's been fleshed out a bit more. ;)
A: SC#16 - Repeal "Liberate The Security Council"
A: SC#26 - Commend The Joint Systems Alliance
A: SC#30 - Commend 10000 Islands
A: SC#37 - Condemn NAZI EUROPE
A: SC#38 - Repeal "Condemn NAZI EUROPE"
A: GA#149 - On Expiration Dates
C: SC#58 - Repeal "Commend Sedgistan"
A: SC#62 - Repeal "Condemn Swarmlandia"
C: SC#63 - Commend Ballotonia
A: SC#65 - Condemn Punk Reloaded
C: GA#163 - Repeal "Law of the Sea"
A: SC#72 - Repeal "Commend Mikeswill"
C: SC#74 - Condemn Lone Wolves United
C: SC#76 - Repeal "Condemn Thatcherton"
A: SC#81 - Repeal "Condemn Anthony Delasanta"
C: SC#83 - Condemn Automagfreek
C: SC#84 - Repeal "Liberate Islam"
C: SC#111 - Commend Krulltopia ← please forget

Zeppy
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Zeppy » Thu May 13, 2010 6:20 pm

American Capitalist wrote:Cyber Monitoring and Prevention Act

??? -> ???

You need show the strength and what are the effects of the resolution.

NOTING the current times of terror and fear we live in which a single person can cause much strife and havoc with relatively little funds,

ALSO NOTING that most terrorist act and plan in groups on the internet,

BELIEVING that we need to warn WA nation on threats coming from violent groups,

HEREBY ESTABLISHES the Terrorism Monitoring and Prevention Council with the following goals and guidelines :
1) To monitor the internet for groups planning to over throw the Government of WA nations,
2) To warn WA nations of these incidents so that they can plan accordingly,
3) To watch for groups planning attacks on the WA's Headquarters,
4) To stop hackers from attacking the private data of citizens around the globe;

ENCOURAGES nations to share information about terrorist groups.

Some errors.
Last edited by Zeppy on Thu May 13, 2010 6:32 pm, edited 5 times in total.

American Capitalist
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby American Capitalist » Thu May 13, 2010 6:22 pm

Freeoplis wrote:Considering this proposal will monitor only the medium of the internet we feel this would hinder freedom of speech and civil liberties of citizens, monitoring such activity is not something we could support.

Explain in what way would it hurt freedom of speech, or civil liberties? This resolution is purely for monitoring public chat on the internet and informing the government of these activities.

A mean old man wrote:My nation is a nation that likes to know what's going on and who's saying what, and I'd certainly support this resolution once it's been fleshed out a bit more. ;)

Thanks.

Freeoplis
Diplomat

Postby Freeoplis » Thu May 13, 2010 6:25 pm

American Capitalist wrote:
Freeoplis wrote:Considering this proposal will monitor only the medium of the internet we feel this would hinder freedom of speech and civil liberties of citizens, monitoring such activity is not something we could support.

Explain in what way would it hurt freedom of speech, or civil liberties? This resolution is purely for monitoring public chat on the internet and informing the government of these activities.

Given the choice between our citizens being monitored and not monitored we would choose the latter. Such intrusion into the daily activities and communications of individuals in our view cannot be justified regardless of the consequences such a policy seeks to prevent against.
Region of Absolution

American Capitalist
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby American Capitalist » Thu May 13, 2010 6:27 pm

Zeppy wrote:
American Capitalist wrote:Cyber Monitoring and Prevention Act

??? -> ???

You need show the strength and what are the effects of the resolution.

NOTING the current times of terror and fear we live in which a single person can cause much strife and havoc with relatively little funds,

ALSO NOTING that most terrorist act and plan in groups on the internet,

BELIEVING that we need to warn WA nation on threats coming from violent groups,

HEREBY ESTABLISHES the Terrorism Monitoring and Prevention Council with the following goals and guidelines :
1) To monitor the internet for groups planning to over throw the Government of WA nations,
2) To warn WA nations of these incidents so that they can plan accordingly,
3) To watch for groups planning attacks on the WA's Headquarters,
4) To stop hackers from attacking the private data of citizens around the globe;

ENCOURAGES nations to share information about terrorist groups.

Some errors.

Edited accordingly.

American Capitalist
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby American Capitalist » Thu May 13, 2010 6:29 pm

Freeoplis wrote:

Given the choice between our citizens being monitored and not monitored we would choose the latter. Such intrusion into the daily activities and communications of individuals in our view cannot be justified regardless of the consequences such a policy seeks to prevent against.

But it would not do so this resolution would be looking for Terrorist groups not your average Joe on a forum.

A mean old man
Senator

Founded: Jun 27, 2008
Father Knows Best State

Postby A mean old man » Thu May 13, 2010 6:29 pm

Freeoplis wrote:Given the choice between our citizens being monitored and not monitored we would choose the latter.

Good God! How will you maintain your national security!?
The WCL is proud to take any measures possible to keep its people, its government, and its economic well-being as safe as possible, and I think monitoring what is said by potential rambunctious rapscallions who want to take down the righteous and fair government of our great nation is a grand step to take.
Last edited by A mean old man on Thu May 13, 2010 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A: SC#16 - Repeal "Liberate The Security Council"
A: SC#26 - Commend The Joint Systems Alliance
A: SC#30 - Commend 10000 Islands
A: SC#37 - Condemn NAZI EUROPE
A: SC#38 - Repeal "Condemn NAZI EUROPE"
A: GA#149 - On Expiration Dates
C: SC#58 - Repeal "Commend Sedgistan"
A: SC#62 - Repeal "Condemn Swarmlandia"
C: SC#63 - Commend Ballotonia
A: SC#65 - Condemn Punk Reloaded
C: GA#163 - Repeal "Law of the Sea"
A: SC#72 - Repeal "Commend Mikeswill"
C: SC#74 - Condemn Lone Wolves United
C: SC#76 - Repeal "Condemn Thatcherton"
A: SC#81 - Repeal "Condemn Anthony Delasanta"
C: SC#83 - Condemn Automagfreek
C: SC#84 - Repeal "Liberate Islam"
C: SC#111 - Commend Krulltopia ← please forget

Freeoplis
Diplomat

Postby Freeoplis » Thu May 13, 2010 6:31 pm

American Capitalist wrote:1) To monitor the internet for groups planning to over throw the Government of WA nations,

We agree this would be the purpose of the proposed legislation but the practical reality would be innocent civilians would have their conversations monitored and read to fulfill such a purpose. This we cannot support.
Region of Absolution

Freeoplis
Diplomat

Postby Freeoplis » Thu May 13, 2010 6:36 pm

A mean old man wrote:
Freeoplis wrote:Given the choice between our citizens being monitored and not monitored we would choose the latter.

The WCL is proud to take any measures possible to keep its people, its government, and its economic well-being as safe as possible, and I think monitoring what is said by potential rambunctious rapscallions who want to take down the righteous and fair government of our great nation is a grand step to take.

The freedoms of our civilians shall come before intrusive legislative decisions. The freedom to browse and utilize the internet we see as an important civil liberty to preserve free from government interference. Our intelligence agencies are well trained in other methods to identify and deal with potential terrorist threats.
Region of Absolution

American Capitalist
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby American Capitalist » Thu May 13, 2010 6:39 pm

Freeoplis wrote:
A mean old man wrote:

The freedoms of our civilians shall come before intrusive legislative decisions. The freedom to browse and utilize the internet we see as an important civil liberty to preserve free from government interference. Our intelligence agencies are well trained in other methods to identify and deal with potential terrorist threats.

Which they can still do this only monitors and leaves it to individual nations to decide what to do with the information gathered. A world wide organization could monitor it better then any single nation could. Not only that but nations would still be allowed to keep their own intelligence agencies. With this you can have two filters that would dramatically cut the number of terrorist attacks.
Last edited by American Capitalist on Thu May 13, 2010 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grandais
Minister

Founded: Jan 06, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Grandais » Thu May 13, 2010 6:41 pm

AGAINST AGAINST AGAINST

While I see the reasoning behind this proposal, it is poorly written and too broad, which would result in a lot of totalitarianism going on.
DEFCON 5 [4] 3 2 1
Grandais News|Factbook|Embassies

American Capitalist
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby American Capitalist » Thu May 13, 2010 6:43 pm

Grandais wrote:AGAINST AGAINST AGAINST

While I see the reasoning behind this proposal, it is poorly written and too broad, which would result in a lot of totalitarianism going on.

That's where you can help this is a bare bones resolution and help is not only needed but wanted.
Last edited by American Capitalist on Thu May 13, 2010 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nullarni
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 26, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Nullarni » Thu May 13, 2010 7:08 pm

Hmmm... I suppose we could possibly support this. However, we are a bit concerned that without special consideration it may need to be retitled "The Big Brother Act".
Proud founder of the NEW WARSAW PACT. Visitors welcome.

American Capitalist
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby American Capitalist » Thu May 13, 2010 7:09 pm

Nullarni wrote:Hmmm... I suppose we could possibly support this. However, we are a bit concerned that without special consideration it may need to be retitled "The Big Brother Act".

Any additions that could help prevent that?

Nullarni
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Nullarni » Thu May 13, 2010 7:23 pm

Nullarni wrote:Hmmm... I suppose we could possibly support this. However, we are a bit concerned that without special consideration it may need to be retitled "The Big Brother Act".

Honestly, I would remove, "1) To monitor the internet for groups planning to over throw the Government of WA nations," and "4) To stop hackers from attacking the private data of citizens around the globe."

I would focus it on looking for hackers and "cyber terrorists" and merely inform the individual nations of the situation instead of stopping it themselves.

The reason I am against point one, is that it could be easily abused. I say just keep it focused on hackers and cyber terrorists.

American Capitalist
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby American Capitalist » Thu May 13, 2010 7:29 pm

Nullarni wrote:

Honestly, I would remove, "1) To monitor the internet for groups planning to over throw the Government of WA nations," and "4) To stop hackers from attacking the private data of citizens around the globe."

I would focus it on looking for hackers and "cyber terrorists" and merely inform the individual nations of the situation instead of stopping it themselves.

The reason I am against point one, is that it could be easily abused. I say just keep it focused on hackers and cyber terrorists.

I removed the fourth section how ever I kept the first part since it's kind of the whole point of the resolution is to monitor online terrorist. What would you add exactly?

Nullarni
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Nullarni » Thu May 13, 2010 7:41 pm

I understand. I would change #1 to "To monitor the internet for groups or individuals planning the cyber or electrionic disruption government activities, public utilities, and private entities that required for maintaining civil structure."

I am just spitballing.

Nullarni
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Nullarni » Thu May 13, 2010 7:46 pm

Also, while I am thinking about it. I would restructure the last part. Instead of the numbered points, I would break it into two sections, or three sections.

Section one: What does the Terrorism Monitoring and Prevention Council do and what are they looking for and monitering?

Section two: What will the Terrorism Monitoring and Prevention Council do once it has found what it is looking for?

Section three: What can the Terrorism Monitoring and Prevention Council not do? What are their limits?

American Capitalist
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby American Capitalist » Thu May 13, 2010 7:50 pm

I'm gonna add limits tomorrow but thanks for all the advice.

Chrinthanium
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 04, 2006
Democratic Socialists

Postby Chrinthanium » Fri May 14, 2010 1:09 am

At this particular moment in time, the Imperial Federation of Chrinthanium would have to vote against this measure. We believe that, as it stands, it would allow governments to grossly violate the privacy rights of their citizens. Now, if it were to include the limits to which the monitoring could occur, and those limits aren't broad and all encompassing, then we can be persuaded to vote in its favor. We believe the right of the citizen to be secure in his property against illegal search and seizure a very sacred right.

Risley M. Dramtree
Ambassador to the World Assembly
Imperial Federation of Chrinthanium
Last edited by Chrinthanium on Fri May 14, 2010 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
"You ever feel like the world is a tuxedo and you're a pair of brown shoes?" - George Gobel, American Comedian (1919-1991)

Buffett and Colbert
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 05, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Buffett and Colbert » Fri May 14, 2010 4:43 am

Were this proposal submitted to the General Assembly, Buffett and Colbert would have to decline to approve it. This proposal, at the moment, does very little to combat cyber-terrorism. It just creates another committee and just encourages nations to share information about "terrorist groups." In general, committees should only be a mechanism to somewhat enforce the contents of a proposal. Right now, the contents of your proposal is your committee. Also about the last clause of your proposal, you should say cyber-terrorist groups, not terrorist groups since it's the former that you're talking about.

Couple of nitpicking things. Before your first preambulatory clause, you should have "The World Assembly,". Also, you should have "Hereby," before your first operative clause. As well as that, the colon at the end of your first operative clause should be right next to "guidelines."

Hope that helps. :)

Sincerely,

Stephen Jims
WA Delegate
If the knowledge isn't useful, you haven't found the lesson yet. ~Iniika
You-Gi-Owe wrote:If someone were to ask me about your online persona as a standard of your "date-ability", I'd rate you as "worth investigating further & passionate about beliefs". But, enough of the idle speculation on why you didn't score with the opposite gender.

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:Clever, but your Jedi mind tricks don't work on me.

His Jedi mind tricks are insignificant compared to the power of Buffy's sex appeal.
Keronians wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:My law class took my virginity. And it was 100% consensual.

I accuse your precious law class of statutory rape.

Charlotte Ryberg
The Muse of the Westcountry

Founded: Mar 14, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Fri May 14, 2010 5:14 am

The subject in question is going to be a tough nut to crack here, honoured ambassador, but I think that the draft should not just focus on a committee, but I think it is not just member states' governments that should play a part in this (ban them from sponsoring cyber terrorism), but also internet registries to remove and salt offending domains. All must be done with great respect given to civil liberties because if it does not respect such then it is likely to be met with huge opposition by other member states.

Yours etc,

Nullarni
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Nullarni » Fri May 14, 2010 5:39 am

Charlotte Ryberg wrote:The subject in question is going to be a tough nut to crack here, honoured ambassador, but I think that the draft should not just focus on a committee, but I think it is not just member states' governments that should play a part in this (ban them from sponsoring cyber terrorism), but also internet registries to remove and salt offending domains. All must be done with great respect given to civil liberties because if it does not respect such then it is likely to be met with huge opposition by other member states.

Yours etc,

I agree completely. Especially with the point that special attention needs to be given to not trampleing civil liberties.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives