NATION

PASSWORD

PASSED: Assistance Givers Protection

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.
Bergnovinaia
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 26, 2009
Ex-Nation

PASSED: Assistance Givers Protection

Postby Bergnovinaia » Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:14 pm

Any comments are appreciated... the proposal can be found here: http://www.nationstates.net/page=UN_proposal/new_proposal=4/council=1

Assitance Givers Protection

Category: Advancement of Industry
Strength: Tort Reform

The WA:

RECOGNIZES that in the event of an emergency, first responders and trained personnel typically handle the situation in attempt to save the person(s) in danger,

REALIZING that in certain instances, first responders may not immediately be on the scene of the emergency. Nonetheless, the emergency victims need immediate attention so passer-by step in to help,

DEFINES these passer-by as “Assistance Givers (AGs)”,

APPALLED that even after the AG’s attempt to help the emergency victims, occasionally the victims will file a civil suit against the AG’s, even if no harm was caused by the AG,

NOTES that it should be every nations right to determine if citizens can or cannot file civil suits against other citizens, organizations, or other establishments for certain reasons,

BELIEVES however, that protection against said lawsuits toward a AG should be implemented in those nations that allow civil suits,

MANDATES the following:
Article I:
1) Any AG who attempts to help an emergency victim in need shall be exempt from a civil suit towards them from the emergency victim, their family, or any person(s) or organization(s) that represent them provided the information in article 1, sections 2 and 3 are adhered to.
2) Any AG shall not attempt to help an emergency victim if a) They are unsure of what actually occurred in the situation at hand or b) Do not have proper training to perform any tasks that need to happen in order to help the emergency victim.
3) A AG forfeits this right if harm is caused to the emergency victim and if the emergency victim, or another other person(s) or organization(s) have viable proof that the harm was intentional.
Article II:
1) Any trained medical professional who arrives at the scene of an emergency by chance and is confident that they can in some way help an emergency victim is required to help the emergency victim to the best of their ability until other trained personnel arrive.
2) If this trained medical person does not have proper apparatus and is not confident that they can improvise, they are not required to help any emergency victim if the procedure could potentially harm them.
3) All of Article 1 applies to medical professionals who are not called to an emergency scene.
Article III
1a) Requires member states to provide basic education of certain situations and first aid to those who seek it;
1b) Allows for member states to implement mandatory basic education of certain situations and first aid training for citizens to partake in.
2)The content of these courses may be determined by the nation based on common emergency situations but the following are highly encouraged: treatment of open sore wounds (i.e. gunshots), CPR, treatment of infectious poisons, and how to operate life saving equipment.
Last edited by Flibbleites on Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:07 pm, edited 27 times in total.
I am pursuing my undergraduate degree from Texas A&M University in Psychology and Spanish. My goal in life is to be a marriage and family counselor. If you have questions about me or my life, just ask!

My girlfriend and I blog about Christian & general marriage, relationship, and dating advice!

NS member since 2009. WA Resolution Author (mostly all repealed), NS sports fanatic.

Poree
Envoy

Founded: Feb 07, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Poree » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:45 pm

I think the Mandates, as written, are too vague and open ended. You should spend some time and re-write them.

My suggestion is to take a look at what kinds of obligations a good samaritan should have and what restrictions should there be. Is there a point where they must have training in order to be protected?

This is a good start but needs quite a bit more for us to think about supporting it.
Sarah Woodman
Representative of The Empire of Poree
Regional Delegate

Bergnovinaia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Bergnovinaia » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:33 pm

Poree wrote:I think the Mandates, as written, are too vague and open ended. You should spend some time and re-write them.

My suggestion is to take a look at what kinds of obligations a good samaritan should have and what restrictions should there be. Is there a point where they must have training in order to be protected?

This is a good start but needs quite a bit more for us to think about supporting it.

While I agree, vague is the name of the game in the WA becaue if you get to specific it flips people out.
I am pursuing my undergraduate degree from Texas A&M University in Psychology and Spanish. My goal in life is to be a marriage and family counselor. If you have questions about me or my life, just ask!

My girlfriend and I blog about Christian & general marriage, relationship, and dating advice!

NS member since 2009. WA Resolution Author (mostly all repealed), NS sports fanatic.

Zeyad
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 16, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Zeyad » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:35 pm

That being said though, Laws can be the most tightly packed piece of literature you'll ever read. Most open ended laws can get taken advantage of.
KonataLand wrote:
Tergnitz wrote:OMG! The new Rebecca black song is almost as good as the death of Osama!

Seven in mornin', gotta get outta bed.
OSHITITSAMERICA *Shot in the head*

Tubbsalot wrote:
Folder Land wrote:In my opinion

And therein lies the problem, because your opinion is wrong.

Cannot think of a name wrote:You ever see a guy walking down the street, just swingin' his arms and yelling and you think, 'Man, is that guy getting swarmed by flies?' but you get up close to him and he's not. And you want to help out and go, 'Hey man, flies are pretty annoying and all, but...I don't see any flies,' but you know you're just as likely to take an elbow to your eyebone so you just keep walking?

Poree
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Poree » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:37 pm

Bergnovinaia wrote:
Poree wrote:I think the Mandates, as written, are too vague and open ended. You should spend some time and re-write them.

While I agree, vague is the name of the game in the WA becaue if you get to specific it flips people out.

Sadly then, we will not be able to support this proposal.
Sarah Woodman
Regional Delegate

Bergnovinaia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Bergnovinaia » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:13 pm

So any specific suggestions for change, not just "it's too vague..."?

Bergnovinaia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Bergnovinaia » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:33 am

bump

Serrland
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 30, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Serrland » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:40 pm

APPALED that even after the GS’s attempt to help the emergency victims, occasionally the victims will file a civil suit against the GS’s, even if no harm was caused by the GS,

NOTES that it should be every citizens right to file civil suits against other citizens, organizations, or other establishments for certain reasons,

BELIEVES however, that protection against said lawsuits toward a GS should be implemented,

Serrland agrees strongly with the need to protect against frivolous lawsuits, but believes that it is a domestic matter. While Serrland usually isn't usually a proponent of the "slippery slope" fallacy, the delegation is somewhat concerned that this will set an unfortunate precedent that the WA can interfere in domestic lawsuit matters, which Serrland strongly opposes.

Bergnovinaia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Bergnovinaia » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:49 pm

Serrland wrote:
APPALED that even after the GS’s attempt to help the emergency victims, occasionally the victims will file a civil suit against the GS’s, even if no harm was caused by the GS,

NOTES that it should be every citizens right to file civil suits against other citizens, organizations, or other establishments for certain reasons,

BELIEVES however, that protection against said lawsuits toward a GS should be implemented,

Serrland agrees strongly with the need to protect against frivolous lawsuits, but believes that it is a domestic matter. While Serrland usually isn't usually a proponent of the "slippery slope" fallacy, the delegation is somewhat concerned that this will set an unfortunate precedent that the WA can interfere in domestic lawsuit matters, which Serrland strongly opposes.

Isn't what you just said a huge contradiction...?

American MapleStory
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 25, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby American MapleStory » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:56 pm

I would vote Nay on this issue. There is no regulation or anything. Too Open its like the 1962 Civil Rights Act of Public Accommodation.
Largest Metropolitans In ROM
Henesys
Leafre
Ludi
Perion
Kerning City
Ellinia
Lith Harbor
Nautilius
Ariant
Magatia
El Nath
Rien
Ereve
New Leaf City
Crimsonwood Keep
Orbis
Oros
Cras
Kokonia
Moonplace

DEFCON: 5 4 3 2 1 0
Economic Left/Right: +8.77
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: +3.67

Bergnovinaia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Bergnovinaia » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:03 pm

American MapleStory wrote:I would vote Nay on this issue. There is no regulation or anything. Too Open its like the 1962 Civil Rights Act of Public Accommodation.

What needs to be regulated... the legal system? All this is trying to do is prevent lawsuits against good samaritans.

Freeoplis
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 18, 2009
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Freeoplis » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:59 pm

We agree with the ethos of such a proposal.
The Republic of Freeoplis
Region of Absolution

South Wienda
Secretary

Founded: Apr 01, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby South Wienda » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:22 pm

I would support it, but it needs some other word besides "Good Samaritan". A less vague one, because a Good Samaritan could also be the one who volunteers at the soup kitchen, etc. etc.
I Took The Oath: UDL
Economic Left/Right: 4.38 ● Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.64
~North Wiedna~

New Rockport
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 09, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby New Rockport » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:53 pm

This looks like tort reform rather than moral decency.
The Federal Republic of New Rockport

Bergnovinaia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Bergnovinaia » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:32 pm

South Wienda wrote:I would support it, but it needs some other word besides "Good Samaritan". A less vague one, because a Good Samaritan could also be the one who volunteers at the soup kitchen, etc. etc.

Well, I agree, but I really don't know what to call them...

Ifsenwich
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Ifsenwich » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:31 pm

The phrase Good Samaritan is mis-used. Unless the only helpers are intended to be hated foreigners.

American MapleStory
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby American MapleStory » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:57 pm

Bergnovinaia wrote:
American MapleStory wrote:I would vote Nay on this issue. There is no regulation or anything. Too Open its like the 1962 Civil Rights Act of Public Accommodation.

What needs to be regulated... the legal system? All this is trying to do is prevent lawsuits against good samaritans.

There has to be a way of addressing and distinguishing good samaritans and suspects. Under some situations it is very difficult to determine. The defense in the criminal courts could use this to their advantage in the second and third degree cases. This is what I mean by abuse.
Largest Metropolitans In ROM
Henesys
Leafre
Ludi
Perion
Kerning City
Ellinia
Lith Harbor
Nautilius
Ariant
Magatia
El Nath
Rien
Ereve
New Leaf City
Crimsonwood Keep
Orbis
Oros
Cras
Kokonia
Moonplace

DEFCON: 5 4 3 2 1 0
Economic Left/Right: +8.77
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: +3.67

Poree
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Poree » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:15 am

American MapleStory wrote:
Bergnovinaia wrote:

There has to be a way of addressing and distinguishing good samaritans and suspects. Under some situations it is very difficult to determine. The defense in the criminal courts could use this to their advantage in the second and third degree cases. This is what I mean by abuse.

OC: This is why RL good samaritan laws are always tied to emergency/medical training and intent. The more training you have the more obligation the law gives you to help in exchange for limited liability. Also in order to sue they have to show your intent was negative otherwise the intent is always assumed to be posative. The way this act is written it means anyone can do more harm then good and be exempted regardless of their intent.
Sarah Woodman
Regional Delegate

Bergnovinaia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Bergnovinaia » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:28 pm

Poree wrote:
American MapleStory wrote:
Bergnovinaia wrote:

OC: This is why RL good samaritan laws are always tied to emergency/medical training and intent. The more training you have the more obligation the law gives you to help in exchange for limited liability. Also in order to sue they have to show your intent was negative otherwise the intent is always assumed to be posative. The way this act is written it means anyone can do more harm then good and be exempted regardless of their intent.

You're correct... although, usually the good samaritans have good intent, unless they are the rare, sadistic person who wants to inflict more harm to a person who could potentially have life-threatening injuries. It's the person who's injured who typically sues, because they're assholes. It's as simple as that.
Last edited by Bergnovinaia on Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Enn
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 26, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Enn » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:48 pm

Bergnovinaia wrote:You're correct... although, usually the good samaritans have good intent, unless they are the rare, sadistic person who wants to inflict more harm to a person who could potentially have life-threatening injuries.

"The road to hell is paved with good intentions." I don't see why someone, trying to do good, is automatically exempt from prosecution if they make matters worse.
It's the person who's injured who typically sues, because they're assholes. It's as simple as that.

Or, potentially, because they are significantly worse off than they otherwise would have been.

Stephanie Fulton, of Enn
I know what gay science is.
Reploid Productions wrote:The World Assembly as a whole terrifies me!
Pythagosaurus wrote:You are seriously deluded about the technical competence of the average human.

Poree
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Poree » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:29 pm

Bergnovinaia wrote:
You're correct... although, usually the good samaritans have good intent, unless they are the rare, sadistic person who wants to inflict more harm to a person who could potentially have life-threatening injuries. It's the person who's injured who typically sues, because they're assholes. It's as simple as that.

Sadly no, it is clear you and I are not communiating. The key is that just because someone wants to help does not mean they should. If I do not have emergency medical training I could cause more hardm then good. what you do not undestand is that the intent is not applied until after the correct amount of training for the situation has been met. So if I have CPR traing and try to save someone who stopped brething tand they die anyway then the family would have to prove I had ill intent to sue me. But if I lacked that traing then regardless of my intent I could be sued because I did not know what I was doing. Does that make more sense? Right now, I could operate on someone and the fact I am not a doctor does not matter. I am covered by this proposal as written.
Sarah Woodman
Regional Delegate

Bergnovinaia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Bergnovinaia » Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:06 pm

Poree wrote:
Bergnovinaia wrote:

Sadly no, it is clear you and I are not communiating. The key is that just because someone wants to help does not mean they should. If I do not have emergency medical training I could cause more hardm then good. what you do not undestand is that the intent is not applied until after the correct amount of training for the situation has been met. So if I have CPR traing and try to save someone who stopped brething tand they die anyway then the family would have to prove I had ill intent to sue me. But if I lacked that traing then regardless of my intent I could be sued because I did not know what I was doing. Does that make more sense? Right now, I could operate on someone and the fact I am not a doctor does not matter. I am covered by this proposal as written.

So perhaps a clausing saying essentially that "no GS shall help beyond their A)knowledge of what's actually occuring in the situation and B) their training" would be beneficial to the bill... (worded differently though).

Poree
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Poree » Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:40 pm

Bergnovinaia wrote:
Poree wrote:
Bergnovinaia wrote:
So perhaps a clausing saying essentially that "no GS shall help beyond their A)knowledge of what's actually occuring in the situation and B) their training" would be beneficial to the bill... (worded differently though).

I would like to see something like that. I think it would hlp draw some responsability for the GS and yet also help them feel protected within their ability levels.
Sarah Woodman
Regional Delegate

Bergnovinaia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Bergnovinaia » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:45 pm

O, slightly edited. Tell me if it needs to be changed because my allergies are up which doesn't allow me to think really.

Ashterotopia
Political Columnist

Founded: Apr 29, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Ashterotopia » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:37 pm

In the Part of The bill which States "their family, or any person(s) or organization(s) that represent them provided the information in section 2 is adhered to." I would make the following changes.. "them provided the information in section 2 and 3 is adhered to." The Current Draft Leaves out Section 3 of the Mandate which Covers Injury If found to be intentional.

Also the part "3) A GS forfeits this right if harm is caused to the emergency victim and the emergency victim This part is Needs an "And if" it is a bit confusing the way it is written now.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives