NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Automatic Weapons Act [I redid it]

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Is this written well enough to be taken seriously in the WA? (Neutral standpoint)

Yes, yes it is.
11%
No, go burn it.
89%

Total votes : 18

Republic of Tacos
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jan 11, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Republic of Tacos » Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:15 pm

Separatist Peoples wrote:"Since the author hasn't been willing to address my concerns or criticism, the C.D.S.P. will oppose this and plans to campaign against it at every step with our considerable resources."

Sorry, ambassador, I've been overwhelmed with others' concerns, could you please state your's once again?
I'm a Browns fan. PERFECT SEASON, BABY!

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Separatist Peoples » Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:29 pm

Separatist Peoples wrote:"So why is this necessary? Why can't member states deal with this themselves? What possible international benefit is there to turning this over to the WA?"
Last edited by Separatist Peoples on Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

Republic of Tacos
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Republic of Tacos » Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:47 pm

Separatist Peoples wrote:
Separatist Peoples wrote:"So why is this necessary? Why can't member states deal with this themselves? What possible international benefit is there to turning this over to the WA?"

Thank you. Though I do believe in the rights of the member state, these steps to responsible gun ownership need to be taken by all nations, and some are not taking such steps. The benefit of this is personal, national and international security.

The Cheeki Breeki Anarchists
Envoy

Founded: Feb 03, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby The Cheeki Breeki Anarchists » Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:44 pm

But you must admit, for self defense, doesn't a SMG or AR seem rather... Overkill?
The Cheeki Breeki Anarchists is Open now....
Follow your instincts.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:13 pm

Imperium Anglorum wrote:PARSONS: I hold the title of Lord. It is unbefitting of my station as the holder of a Duchy to be referred to as a Lord. Rather, as a courtesy title, my son holds the title Lord because he is Viscount Parsons. I am rather The Duke of Geneva and The Viscount Parsons, amongst other things.

And here's me side-stepping all that by calling you Cyril. *grins*

As for the draft, though it may be obvious, having the category and all the usual trappings would help. And it seems to not give licences to anyone, since checking backgrounds does not equal licencing, and wants to only give those weapons to lincenced people, so... nobody gets the weapons? Works for me.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Republic of Tacos
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Republic of Tacos » Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:41 pm

The Cheeki Breeki Anarchists wrote:But you must admit, for self defense, doesn't a SMG or AR seem rather... Overkill?

Quite, but I still wanted gun control, and this is the closest I could get without everyone ripping this resolution to shreds.

Excidium Planetis
Powerbroker

Founded: May 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Excidium Planetis » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:13 pm

The Cheeki Breeki Anarchists wrote:But you must admit, for self defense, doesn't a SMG or AR seem rather... Overkill?

"Perhaps, but those are hardly the only automatic weapons one may own. A two-round burst handgun would be an automatic weapon."
Current Ambassador: Adelia Meritt
Ex-Ambassador: Cornelia Schultz, author of GA#355 and GA#368.
#MakeLegislationFunnyAgain
Singaporean Transhumans wrote:You didn't know about Excidium? The greatest space nomads in the NS multiverse with a healthy dose (read: over 9000 percent) of realism?
Saveyou Island wrote:"Warmest welcomes to the Assembly, ambassador. You'll soon learn to hate everyone here."
Imperium Anglorum wrote:Digital Network Defence is pretty meh
Tier 9 nation, according to my index.Made of nomadic fleets.

News: AI wins Dawn Fleet election for High Counselor.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:03 pm

Republic of Tacos wrote:

Thank you. Though I do believe in the rights of the member state, these steps to responsible gun ownership need to be taken by all nations, and some are not taking such steps. The benefit of this is personal, national and international security.

"But what, exactly, is the international security benefit? How does it benefit your nation if the C.D.S.P. regulates domestic automatic weapons? How is the C.D.S.P. harmed if your nation doesn't? All you have as a justification is a vague sense of paternalistic nannying, which we have a strong national interest, and international interest at that, to resist. Not once have you managed any coherent argument as to 1. What the international benefit is, and 2. Why national security is an international concern, and not a national one."

Republic of Tacos wrote:Quite, but I still wanted gun control, and this is the closest I could get without everyone ripping this resolution to shreds.

"Control guns in your nation. Leave ours the hell alone."

"There is no such thing as overkill. There is only "open fire" and "I need to reload." Anybody who tells you otherwise is probably looking to eventually shoot you."

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:49 pm

Separatist Peoples wrote:"There is no such thing as overkill. There is only "open fire" and "I need to reload." Anybody who tells you otherwise is probably looking to eventually shoot you."

You would be much easier to kill with a poisoned drink than a bullet, Ben. And all guns are an overkill for a simple bar fight.
Last edited by Araraukar on Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Aclion
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Aclion » Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:31 am

Depends on the circumstances. Remember not all nations have the same threats as your own. For some of us even burglars are rare, for others there are criminal cartels that will abduct people for ransom. I won't even get into the sorts of horrors some of the space-faring nations have to put up with.
Gun control really is something that is only ever appropriate at the national level, if then.
A popular Government, without popular information, or the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy; or, perhaps both. - James Madison.

The Cheeki Breeki Anarchists
Envoy

Founded: Feb 03, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby The Cheeki Breeki Anarchists » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:18 am

Republic of Tacos wrote:

Talking about gun control is a somewhat risky business. And although I do not support the use of rapid fire guns in my nation, Some Nations pride themselves with strange or otherwise bad things. And while I am not calling any opinion nonsensical in this thread, I must say that Gun control should only be left in the hands of the Nations rather that that of the WA. If a nation allows or wants it's civvies to carry around RPGs I say that is their choice. Therefore I think that this proposal should not be approved or take effect in the WA, and by extension, Member Nations.
The Cheeki Breeki Anarchists is Open now....
Follow your instincts.

Halcyonis
Spokesperson

Founded: Nov 20, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Halcyonis » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:22 am

Private weapon-owners in Halcyonis are allowed "automatic" weapons, seeing the only weapon that fits this description and is civilian-available is the Lodestone Systems LTC-50, a nonlethal training coilgun used by citizens and cadets alike. Please make the next AWA draft considering that some nations may already have solutions.
A I R S U P E R I O R I T Y
A highly advanced democracy built on a flying archipelago. Airships, hoverbikes, spacecraft, AI, all that. A dream come true.

I’m a libtard and I’m not online often so this nation is coming together at a snail’s pace. Feel free to TG though!

BREAKING NEWS: |The Department of the Environment has laid out plans to build “carbon sweepers,” large airships that artificially photosynthesize and remove CO2 from the atmosphere|A luxury sky-yacht was hijacked from its slip by partying teenagers, and somehow outflew law enforcement. Perpetrators were captured after an hour-long chase by the Armada corvette Tranquil and are being charged with grand theft airship, public endangerment, and drunk captaining of an airgoing vessel.

Deimosan
Secretary

Founded: Oct 18, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Deimosan » Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:24 pm

I am strongly against this, as all adults (but not children or teenagers) in Deimosan are permitted to own almost any sort of firearm, be it single shot, semi or fully automatic weapons. Exemptions include grenades, grenade launchers, rocket launchers, mortars and anti-material rifles.

-Deimosan Ministry of Foreign Affairs

Republic of Tacos
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Republic of Tacos » Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:34 pm

I don't want your opinion on what the resolution is fighting for when you answer this question. Is this proposal written well enough to be taken seriously as a proposal?
Last edited by Republic of Tacos on Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:18 pm

Republic of Tacos wrote:I don't want your opinion on what the resolution is fighting for when you answer this question. Is this proposal written well enough to be taken seriously as a proposal?

"No. Its reasoning is unfounded in international policy and is fueled by domestic partisanship, and your definition of an automatic firearm could apply to multi-stage fireworks, double-action revolvers, and certain flare guns. You've made absolutely no effort to justify the policy behind your decision beyond a half-baked appeal to security. If you submit this, I would bet my office desk it would go nowhere."

Aclion
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Aclion » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:35 pm

Republic of Tacos wrote:I don't want your opinion on what the resolution is fighting for when you answer this question. Is this proposal written well enough to be taken seriously as a proposal?

Well fine, no it's not. But I'm drunk, have nothing better to do and can use the practice.

Try this:

Believing that civilians do need firearms to protect themselves, and that these firearms should be distributed in a responsible manner.

Noting that possession of such a device is acceptable when possessed by military personnel during war or peacetime.

This assembly hereby;

Defines an automatic weapon as a device that can fire a lethal projectile, go through automatic-cycling without action from the operator and continue firing until its ammunition is depleted or the trigger or firing button is released.

Clarifies that nothing in this resolution shall be interpreted in such a way as to prevent member nations placing further restrictions on ownership of automatic weapon, including but not limited to prohibiting such ownership outright.

Requires member states to;
1. Criminalize all un-licensed ownership of automatic weapons by civilians.

2. Perform background checks upon all those who own or are purchasing such weapons.

3. Prohibit transfer of such weapons in the hands of those who have not passed such background checks and received licenses to own them.

4. Prohibit ownership of such weapons by persons below the age of majority.

But it wont pass. There is no justification for WA interference in domestic weapons policy.

OOC: and no, do not name me as a coauthor, people might think I approve.

Deimosan wrote:Exemptions include grenades, grenade launchers, rocket launchers, mortars and anti-material rifles.

Captain buzzkill over here.
Last edited by Aclion on Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.
A popular Government, without popular information, or the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy; or, perhaps both. - James Madison.

Calladan
Minister

Founded: Jul 28, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Calladan » Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:32 am

It depends on what you mean -

As proposals go, it is well written, well presented, well argued and coherent and logical. From a purely neutral standpoint it is quite good.

However.

Given the subject matter, I would guess (and this is purely a guess based on previous observations) it will get about eight or nine endorsements at most and it won't make it to the floor for a vote. But - on the off chance I was wrong and somehow there was a MASSIVE show of support and it picked up the 106 (I think) it needed, I think it would probably lose by around 85 to 89% of the vote if it did make it to the floor, because between the nations like Calladan that do not want our citizens to carry guns at all, the nations at the other end of the spectrum who believe ANY form of gun control of an offence against god and their mother, the nations who think putting automatic weapons in the hands of civilians (even after background checks) is more than a little insane and the nations who think this is a NatSov matter, I would guess that is far more than 50% of the active WA members.

Sorry to be so honest, but I really would suggest that this is not going anywhere - I am fairly sure it won't even come to a vote.
Tara A McGill, Ambassador to Lucinda G Doyle III
"Always be yourself, unless you can be Zathras. Then be Zathras"
A Rough Guide To Calladan | The Seven Years of Darkness | Ambassador McGill's Facebook Page
"Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, providing they are Christian & white" - Trump

Cogoria
Attaché

Founded: Jul 18, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Cogoria » Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:24 am

This law would disrupt our national defence system greatly. Citizens would have to get permits for the machine guns mounted on their privately owned tanks? But while your at it why don't you make us get licences for the whole tank and our backyard artillery batteries! Next you'll want us to regulate our MLRS firework/defence weekend giveaways!

States of Glory WA Office
Minister

Founded: Jul 26, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby States of Glory WA Office » Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:21 pm

Calladan wrote:Sorry to be so honest, but I really would suggest that this is not going anywhere - I am fairly sure it won't even come to a vote.

Fairburn: Never say never, Ambassador. World Space Administration got passed, after all.
Ambassador: Neville Lynn Robert
Assistant: Harold "The Clown" Johnson
#MakeLegislationFunnyAgain

Aclion
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Aclion » Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:30 am

Calladan wrote:Sorry to be so honest, but I really would suggest that this is not going anywhere - I am fairly sure it won't even come to a vote.

Well I'm pretty sure it's legal, if he submitted during the US winter break and did a telegram campaign then he's got a decent chance at hitting the magic number. It will still lose at vote though, since he's working against both the people who are progun and the people just opposed to WA involvement in intra-national matters and he has to deal with people who might be inclined towards his proposal but will object, either because they oppose a specific part or think the whole thing should be stronger.
Last edited by Aclion on Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly