NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Cyber Weapons Security Act

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:04 pm

Cyber weapons are not physical objects and ought not be treated as if they were. Hyper-literalism...
Last edited by Imperium Anglorum on Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 18, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp » Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:09 pm

Imperium Anglorum wrote:Cyber weapons are not physical objects and ought not be treated as if they were. Hyper-literalism...

"They may not be physical objects, but they can be stored in physical objects. Therefore, we should treat them as such."
Last edited by The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp on Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011

Postby Separatist Peoples » Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:07 pm

The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp wrote:
Imperium Anglorum wrote:Cyber weapons are not physical objects and ought not be treated as if they were. Hyper-literalism...

"They may not be physical objects, but they can be stored in physical objects. Therefore, we should treat them as such."

"That is nonsensical. They are intangible, and operate in an intangible medium. They shouldn't be treated like something they aren't."

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp » Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:05 pm

Separatist Peoples wrote:

"That is nonsensical. They are intangible, and operate in an intangible medium. They shouldn't be treated like something they aren't."

"But they can be physical, should that be the form the manufacturer chooses."

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp » Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:15 pm

Separatist Peoples wrote:

"I have re read the draft, It lacks the word 'physical'."

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:29 pm

3. Requires that member nations in possession of cyber weapons must
a. To the best of their ability secure the location where cyber weapons are stored,
b. Have a proper training program for safe storage and handling of cyber weapons,
c. Refuse entering the training program for any person known to be a terrorist or known to having strong ties to any terrorist group,
d. Restrict access to the cyber weapons to staff who have successfully completed the training program,

OOC: 3a is impractical, because it is the case that cyber weapons are stored and transmitted on computer networks. This means that you would have to secure the entire computer network. This is nonsensical. It is also an example of you pretending that cyber weapons can be treated as if they are normal physical objects which are expended like normal munitions and therefore, can be secured.

3b is also impractical. One does not need to have a training programme for safe storage. These things are not chemical, biological, or nuclear weapons. They do not function if they are not executed by the computer. Storage is literally keeping them on an unplugged hard drive. This is another case of how you're pretending that they are like normal physical munitions.

3c should be 'Refuse entrance of [object] to the training programme'.

3d is impractical and also means that we can't actually use cyber weapons, because to use them requires storage thereof. If a computer gets a virus, it has to be stored on that computer somewhere. And if we are to restrict access to staff, then we cannot also use them, i.e. store and execute them on an enemy machine to prevent them from refining uranium or something like that. Also, how are nations going succeed in restricting access when computer viruses can self-duplicate? This is again, a case where you are treating these weapons as if they were physical munitions which have to be stored, transported (Ha.), guarded, and secured. These are virtual programs whose security protocols should not be based on physical paradigms, but rather, have to be rooted in a real understanding of how computer networks work and what exactly they can do.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:26 am

Imperium Anglorum wrote:Cyber weapons are not physical objects.

OOC: This thread has been moving -- and the drafts have been changing -- faster than I've been able to keep up with. Am I to take it that EMP attacks would still be legal?
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Cogoria
Attaché

Founded: Jul 18, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Cogoria » Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:53 am

So as long as we utilise a sapient programming we can legally attack our enemies systems with no repercussions? Haha! Time to shut down all if the Royalists hospitals and cause a few nuclear meltdowns!

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:08 am

OOC: Not ignoring this, but I came down with a stomach bug, so I'm making Derpy do most of the fact-checking and he's not as used to it as me, so it may take us a little time to address the points raised, in proper fashion.

*needs to run back to the toilet*

EDIT: Quick point to Cogoria: AIs are sapients and have human rights.
Last edited by Araraukar on Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011

Postby Separatist Peoples » Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:20 am

Separatist Peoples wrote:"That is nonsensical. They are intangible, and operate in an intangible medium. They shouldn't be treated like something they aren't."

"But they can be physical, should that be the form the manufacturer chooses."

"Whether or not it's pertinent to the draft, that is entirely untrue. Software is not physical. It cannot be. It is inherently abstract, regardless of what a manufacturer wants. The medium it is stored on can by physical, but software itself is totally intangible."

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

Cogoria
Attaché

Founded: Jul 18, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Cogoria » Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:04 am

What to human rights have to do with it? AIs may serve the military freely, and if they're ordered to melt down a powerplant or two?

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:10 am

Cogoria wrote:What to human rights have to do with it? AIs may serve the military freely, and if they're ordered to melt down a powerplant or two?

OOC: If they are soldiers, they're bound by all the legislation that affects human soldiers as well, and can be guilty of committing war crimes. Also, they can refuse to follow illegal orders. But that's not really got anything to do with the proposal here, as the cyber weapons are defined as non-sapient.

This stomach bug is making me hate my body more than normally... *whimpers*
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp » Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:40 am

Bears Armed wrote:
Imperium Anglorum wrote:Cyber weapons are not physical objects.

OOC: This thread has been moving -- and the drafts have been changing -- faster than I've been able to keep up with. Am I to take it that EMP attacks would still be legal?

OOC: I'd think so.

States of Glory WA Office
Minister

Founded: Jul 26, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby States of Glory WA Office » Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:43 am

Bears Armed wrote:OOC: This thread has been moving -- and the drafts have been changing -- faster than I've been able to keep up with. Am I to take it that EMP attacks would still be legal?

OOC: That's not very encouraging considering the fact that this is your draft.
Ambassador: Neville Lynn Robert
Assistant: Harold "The Clown" Johnson
#MakeLegislationFunnyAgain

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp » Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:47 am

States of Glory WA Office wrote:

OOC: That's not very encouraging considering the fact that this is your draft.

OOC: I know it won't beacuse they don't match up with the definition of Cyber weapons.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:21 am

States of Glory WA Office wrote:OOC: That's not very encouraging considering the fact that this is your draft.

OOC: It's now a co-effort, we're talking via TGs, and please don't blame Derpy for me getting sick and thus not having much energy/time to waste on NS today. :(

Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby States of Glory WA Office » Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:24 am

Araraukar wrote:
States of Glory WA Office wrote:OOC: That's not very encouraging considering the fact that this is your draft.

OOC: It's now a co-effort, we're talking via TGs, and please don't blame Derpy for me getting sick and thus not having much energy/time to waste on NS today. :(

OOC: This is going to end up like Pesticide Regulations, isn't it?

I really don't know why you don't post a draft on PPU. Your lack of badges belies your activity.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:32 am

States of Glory WA Office wrote:OOC: This is going to end up like Pesticide Regulations, isn't it?

OOC: No. That's why this will be slow. I'm actually making Derpy do his half of the work. :P

I really don't know why you don't post a draft on PPU. Your lack of badges belies your activity.

Because I don't care about the badges. My "badge" is the mention in my forum siggy. ;)
Last edited by Araraukar on Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby States of Glory WA Office » Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:39 am

Araraukar wrote:
States of Glory WA Office wrote:OOC: This is going to end up like Pesticide Regulations, isn't it?

OOC: No. That's why this will be slow. I'm actually making Derpy do his half of the work. :P

OOC: That...was a pretty solid burn. May I sig that?

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:48 am

States of Glory WA Office wrote:
Araraukar wrote:OOC: No. That's why this will be slow. I'm actually making Derpy do his half of the work. :P

OOC: That...was a pretty solid burn. May I sig that?

OOC: Please don't, at least not without replacing "Derpy" with "him".

And it's not a dig at Derpy specifically. It would've been about 5 times as slow as it was, if I'd bothered to do it with ND back then. But, I didn't care. And he didn't learn anything, he just got a badge.

Umeria I bullied into becoming a resolution writer without wanting to become a co-author, mostly because I didn't like the premise of the proposal. But I'd like to think he's better than he was, thanks to my bullying.

So I'm trying a middle road this time, with Derpy. I'll be able to perfect this one day, but it may take a few more newbie authors. ;)
Last edited by Araraukar on Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp » Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:28 pm

Imperium Anglorum wrote:
3c should be 'Refuse entrance of [object] to the training programme'.

"When you say 'object', could you clarify that?"

Excidium Planetis
Powerbroker

Founded: May 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Excidium Planetis » Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:18 pm

"While the current draft is free of any outstanding flaws, it does not seem as if it really does anything. The requirements are pretty reasonable requirements which any competent nation would likely already be complying with. I can't imagine a military that does not train the personnel who will being handling weapons in the use and care of those same weapons. And nations who are already complying with existing WA law will not be training known terrorists anyways."
Current Ambassador: Adelia Meritt
Ex-Ambassador: Cornelia Schultz, author of GA#355 and GA#368.
Singaporean Transhumans wrote:You didn't know about Excidium? The greatest space nomads in the NS multiverse with a healthy dose (read: over 9000 percent) of realism?
Saveyou Island wrote:"Warmest welcomes to the Assembly, ambassador. You'll soon learn to hate everyone here."
Imperium Anglorum wrote:Digital Network Defence is pretty meh
Tier 9 nation, according to my index.Made of nomadic fleets.

News: AI wins Dawn Fleet election for High Counselor.

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp » Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:07 pm

Excidium Planetis wrote:"While the current draft is free of any outstanding flaws, it does not seem as if it really does anything. The requirements are pretty reasonable requirements which any competent nation would likely already be complying with. I can't imagine a military that does not train the personnel who will being handling weapons in the use and care of those same weapons. And nations who are already complying with existing WA law will not be training known terrorists anyways."

"Thank you for your support, Ambassador Blackbourne."

Excidium Planetis
Powerbroker

Founded: May 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Excidium Planetis » Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:56 pm

Excidium Planetis wrote:"While the current draft is free of any outstanding flaws, it does not seem as if it really does anything. The requirements are pretty reasonable requirements which any competent nation would likely already be complying with. I can't imagine a military that does not train the personnel who will being handling weapons in the use and care of those same weapons. And nations who are already complying with existing WA law will not be training known terrorists anyways."

"Thank you for your support, Ambassador Blackbourne."

"That is a rather odd interpretation of my comments."
Current Ambassador: Adelia Meritt
Ex-Ambassador: Cornelia Schultz, author of GA#355 and GA#368.
Singaporean Transhumans wrote:You didn't know about Excidium? The greatest space nomads in the NS multiverse with a healthy dose (read: over 9000 percent) of realism?
Saveyou Island wrote:"Warmest welcomes to the Assembly, ambassador. You'll soon learn to hate everyone here."
Imperium Anglorum wrote:Digital Network Defence is pretty meh
Tier 9 nation, according to my index.Made of nomadic fleets.

News: AI wins Dawn Fleet election for High Counselor.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:28 pm

Excidium Planetis wrote:"That is a rather odd interpretation of my comments."

OOC: Everything's comparative - if other comments are clearly negative and one comment is neutral, in relation it looks positive. But no real support is yet assumed.

The draft has been updated, by the way, we tried to address some of the issues raised.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly