NATION

PASSWORD

[Legality Challenge] Compliance thingy

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Sierra Lyricalia
Senator

Founded: Nov 29, 2008
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Sierra Lyricalia » Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:25 pm

Excidium Planetis wrote:
Excidium Planetis wrote:
Let me take a stab at this:
Glen-Rhodes believes it is legal.
Separatist Peoples believes it is legal.
Sciongrad believes it is legal.
Christian Democrats believes it is illegal but for a different reason.
Bears Armed believes it is illegal for Metagaming
Sierra Lyricalia believes it is illegal for Metagaming.

With the exception of SL being on the side of legality, I called it. Was SL the one who was persuaded to switch sides?

When you made this list I hadn't actually expressed an opinion yet. I'm not sure it's actually "someone was persuaded" so much as "we made up our minds."
Principal-Agent, Anarchy; Squadron Admiral [fmr], The Red Fleet
The Semi-Honorable Leonid Berkman Pavonis
Author: 354 GA / Issues 436, 451, 724
Ambassador Pro Tem
Tech Level: Complicated (or not: 7/0/6 i.e. 12) / RP Details
Jerk, Ideological Deviant, Roach, MT Army stooge, & "red [who] do[es]n't read" (various)
Illustrious Bum #279

Excidium Planetis
Powerbroker

Founded: May 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Excidium Planetis » Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:45 pm

Sierra Lyricalia wrote:
Excidium Planetis wrote:
With the exception of SL being on the side of legality, I called it. Was SL the one who was persuaded to switch sides?

When you made this list I hadn't actually expressed an opinion yet. I'm not sure it's actually "someone was persuaded" so much as "we made up our minds."

This is what we were told earlier:
Glen-Rhodes wrote:We currently don't have a majority opinion, and I'm not sure when we will, to be honest. 2 of us believe it's legal and that noncompliance is fine to acknowledge. 2 do not, and wish to reinstate the ban on acknowledging noncompliance. 1 believes it's illegal for other reasons and hasn't commented on the metagaming/noncompliance question. And the other believes it's legal, but hasn't been able to comment beyond that for RL reasons.

That's 3 people Glen-Rhodes said had decided it was illegal. We now have only 2.
Current Ambassador: Adelia Meritt
Ex-Ambassador: Cornelia Schultz, author of GA#355 and GA#368.
#MakeLegislationFunnyAgain
Singaporean Transhumans wrote:You didn't know about Excidium? The greatest space nomads in the NS multiverse with a healthy dose (read: over 9000 percent) of realism?
Saveyou Island wrote:"Warmest welcomes to the Assembly, ambassador. You'll soon learn to hate everyone here."
Imperium Anglorum wrote:Digital Network Defence is pretty meh
Tier 9 nation, according to my index.Made of nomadic fleets.

News: AI wins Dawn Fleet election for High Counselor.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Separatist Peoples » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:14 pm

Excidium Planetis wrote:
Sierra Lyricalia wrote:

This is what we were told earlier:
Glen-Rhodes wrote:We currently don't have a majority opinion, and I'm not sure when we will, to be honest. 2 of us believe it's legal and that noncompliance is fine to acknowledge. 2 do not, and wish to reinstate the ban on acknowledging noncompliance. 1 believes it's illegal for other reasons and hasn't commented on the metagaming/noncompliance question. And the other believes it's legal, but hasn't been able to comment beyond that for RL reasons.

That's 3 people Glen-Rhodes said had decided it was illegal. We now have only 2.

Does it actually matter? A final decision was rendered. At best, what you were told was a status update of an incomplete process, not a predictive ruling.

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:48 pm

Separatist Peoples wrote:
Excidium Planetis wrote:That's 3 people Glen-Rhodes said had decided it was illegal. We now have only 2.

Does it actually matter? A final decision was rendered. At best, what you were told was a status update of an incomplete process, not a predictive ruling.

And in times past if a mod had said that it was 3-2 illegal but they were waiting for one more vote, wouldn't you be curious how 3 suddenly became 2? :P
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:50 pm

Araraukar wrote:
Separatist Peoples wrote:Does it actually matter? A final decision was rendered. At best, what you were told was a status update of an incomplete process, not a predictive ruling.

And in times past if a mod had said that it was 3-2 illegal but they were waiting for one more vote, wouldn't you be curious how 3 suddenly became 2? :P

Not really. Minds change. All that matters is the number at the time of decision. I went back and forth on this one several times in my head.

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:54 pm

Separatist Peoples wrote:Not really. Minds change. All that matters is the number at the time of decision. I went back and forth on this one several times in my head.

Yeah, how dare you be human. :p

Heh, I can disagree with you guys without hating your guts. You're just doing your best. :hug:
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Excidium Planetis
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Excidium Planetis » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:56 pm

Separatist Peoples wrote:
Araraukar wrote:And in times past if a mod had said that it was 3-2 illegal but they were waiting for one more vote, wouldn't you be curious how 3 suddenly became 2? :P

Not really. Minds change. All that matters is the number at the time of decision. I went back and forth on this one several times in my head.

What does matter is that Glen-Rhodes made it seem as if all opinions were in, and SL is saying that one opinion at least was not in. Both of them can't be right, so we either have one Council member deciding the public opinions of others even when they don't have one, or one Council member saying they hadn't made up their mind when really they had. Both of these are slightly concerning, but the first more so.
Singaporean Transhumans wrote:You didn't know about Excidium? The greatest space nomads in the NS multiverse with a healthy dose (read: over 9000 percent) of realism?
Saveyou Island wrote:"Warmest welcomes to the Assembly, ambassador. You'll soon learn to hate everyone here."

Glen-Rhodes
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 25, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Glen-Rhodes » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:59 pm

The debate thread in the GenSec forum will eventually be moved to the decision archives, illuminating just how the decision was made. You could just wait :P

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:01 pm

Excidium Planetis wrote:
Separatist Peoples wrote:Not really. Minds change. All that matters is the number at the time of decision. I went back and forth on this one several times in my head.

What does matter is that Glen-Rhodes made it seem as if all opinions were in, and SL is saying that one opinion at least was not in. Both of them can't be right, so we either have one Council member deciding the public opinions of others even when they don't have one, or one Council member saying they hadn't made up their mind when really they had. Both of these are slightly concerning, but the first more so.

Simple solution: wait until the greentext is in before banking on speculation on a ruling. GR was commenting on what it looked like, not on what it is. I'm sincerely puzzled as to why that wasn't how people were thinking already. You know we debate the issue. It isn't unforeseeable that mind will be changed, and it isn't unreasonable to expect that minds will be changed or officially made up closer to the last minute than not.

What matters is literally just what comes with the greentext, right? :blink:

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:06 pm

Separatist Peoples wrote:What matters is literally just what comes with the greentext, right?

Yes, but I think the complaint here is giving any information about who's for and who's against, before greentext. (And it annoys me that you've taken my word for PPU's green speech text... XD)

Excidium Planetis
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Excidium Planetis » Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:08 pm

Separatist Peoples wrote:[ You know we debate the issue. It isn't unforeseeable that mind will be changed, and it isn't unreasonable to expect that minds will be changed or officially made up closer to the last minute than not.

I'm not saying it's unreasonable to change minds. In fact, according to SL, no minds were changed.

I'm saying it is unreasonable for one member to say that another member declared it illegal, and that member to say that they hadn't commented either way. One of them has to be incorrect. That doesn't have anything to do with changing minds.

Araraukar wrote:
Separatist Peoples wrote:What matters is literally just what comes with the greentext, right?

Yes, but I think the complaint here is giving any information about who's for and who's against, before greentext. (And it annoys me that you've taken my word for PPU's green speech text... XD)

Exactly. Even the part about greentext.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:14 pm

Araraukar wrote:

Excidium Planetis wrote:I'm not saying it's unreasonable to change minds. In fact, according to SL, no minds were changed.

I'm saying it is unreasonable for one member to say that another member declared it illegal, and that member to say that they hadn't commented either way. One of them has to be incorrect. That doesn't have anything to do with changing minds.

If you (all) would prefer, we can stop discussing pending decision outcomes entirely.
Last edited by Separatist Peoples on Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:18 pm

Separatist Peoples wrote:If you (all) would prefer, we can stop discussing pending decision outcomes entirely.

Yes please.

Excidium Planetis
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Excidium Planetis » Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:19 pm

Araraukar wrote:
Separatist Peoples wrote:If you (all) would prefer, we can stop discussing pending decision outcomes entirely.

Yes please.

Seconded.

Sciongrad
Minister

Founded: Mar 11, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Sciongrad » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:27 pm

Excidium Planetis wrote:
Araraukar wrote:Yes please.

Seconded.

Gladly. But you do realize that if it takes us some time to get our rulings out, as has been the case so far, our response to your questions will simply be "wait." Just to be clear, you find that preferable?
Last edited by Sciongrad on Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Natalia Santos, Plenipotentiary and Permanent Scionite Representative to the World Assembly

Ideological Bulwark #271

Excidium Planetis
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Excidium Planetis » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:58 pm

Sciongrad wrote:
Excidium Planetis wrote:Seconded.

Gladly. But you do realize that if it takes us some time to get our rulings out, as has been the case so far, our response to your questions will simply be "wait." Just to be clear, you find that preferable?

Yes. It makes it exciting. You never know how the ruling will turn out until the end.

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:38 pm

Sciongrad wrote:
Excidium Planetis wrote:Seconded.

I would much rather have decisions told to people once people have made up their minds. Once a majority has been found one way or the other, then issue the ruling, pending further documentation.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:10 am

If a decision drags on, it would be ok to get to know like "two haven't yet made up their mind", so we'll know you're at least discussing it, but other than that, numbers with ruling, please.

Gruenberg
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 18, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Gruenberg » Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:21 am

While I'm satisfied by the ruling - what really matters is how consistently the metagaming rules will be enforced from now on, something I have to admit to still being wildly pessimistic about - the logic underpinning it is jaw-dropping levels of stupidity. Even the Council overseeing the WA rules seems to equate mandatory compliance with magical compliance!
Frisbeeteria wrote:Welcome to Hell. There's a reason there's high turnover in GA mods.

There certainly is. The reason is that you pick rank sycophants, and these people are therefore not well positioned to deal with the realization that there might be people who actually disagree with them.
Last edited by Gruenberg on Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Do you mean "coming out"...as a Guardian reader would understand the term?"

Excidium Planetis
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Excidium Planetis » Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:04 am

Gruenberg wrote:Even the Council overseeing the WA rules seems to equate mandatory compliance with magical compliance!

You have failed to adequately explain the difference in positions, or why such a distinction is relevant to the ruling. If non-compliance is impossible, I would call that magical compliance. If non-compliance is possible, why can it not be mentioned?

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:17 am

Gruenberg wrote:*snip*

Actually I think the main reason the GA mods keep vanishing is because of people like you and me...

Glen-Rhodes
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 25, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Glen-Rhodes » Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:52 am

EP is right. Nobody has ever offered an explanation of mandatory compliance that did not rely on magical Metagaming to enforce it. I've sought out that explanation for years. The majority opinion sums it up nicely:

"In the end, what is more reasonable? That a government can’t cover up a war crime, because a resolution says it can’t, and for some reason we can’t explain in in-world terms, it’s just an impossibility? Or that a government can indeed flout the terms of resolutions with impunity, especially if there’s no enforcement mechanism in a resolution?"

Sedgistan
Site Director

Founded: Oct 20, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Sedgistan » Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:36 am

Araraukar wrote:
Sedgistan wrote:That would be covered under site rules enforced by Moderators, which are separate to the GA proposal rules the Secretariat has jurisdiction over.

Is "GA Secretariat" covered by those? Or just "Secretariat"?

We haven't had cause to rule on that yet, so I don't have an answer for that.

Araraukar wrote:By the way, Sedge, now that I have your attention (no matter how much just that thought makes me want to go hide), do the mods do proposal list sweeps anymore? Or have all the GA-savvy mods just gone MIA all at once?

The latter - Kryo, Mouse and Wrapper all have RL stuff occupying most their time at the moment. It's not that they're avoiding the GA, before anyone suggests that; they don't have time for anything else on the site either. Mouse did manage to remove some proposals last night, but aside from that, it's Fris / myself who are the most GA-ish mods around. I don't think either of us particularly wants to be sweeping the queue, but we're keeping an eye on Secretariat business.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:46 am

Sedgistan wrote:it's Fris / myself who are the most GA-ish mods around.

I'm torn between going "Yeay, at least someone's around!" and "Oh I feel so sorry for you already..." :P

Gruenberg
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 18, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Gruenberg » Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:50 am

Sedgistan wrote:The latter - Kryo, Mouse and Wrapper all have RL stuff occupying most their time at the moment. It's not that they're avoiding the GA, before anyone suggests that

Too late. Your post does rather demonstrate why that's bollocks, though.
"Do you mean "coming out"...as a Guardian reader would understand the term?"

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly