NATION

PASSWORD

Weapons of Mass Destruction Act

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Victor Exercitus
Civilian

Founded: Jul 16, 2016
Ex-Nation

Weapons of Mass Destruction Act

Postby Victor Exercitus » Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:53 pm

Unnerved at the suspension of military power by the WA, Restricting a nation's military use of WMD,Nuclear and ICBM weapons.

Recognizing the right of member nations to keep and deploy nuclear weapons for the purposes of national defense, and or attacking enemy nations,whilst not intentionally harming civilian targets.

1. DEFINES, for purposes of this resolution:
“Weapons of Mass Destruction” to be considered anything nuclear,biological,or chemical.
"Civilian” to be anyone or anything that has not initiated or threatened explicit violence against your nations or allies.
2. PERMITS nations to carry and use,if they feel necessary, biological weapons and or;WMD’s,ICBM’s,and Nuclear weapons.Only to defend their nation,not to initiate war

3. PROHIBITS the use of any WMD targeted towards civilians,and may only be used for homeland defense or military targets

4. ENCOURAGES nations to seek alternatives to nuclear attack in a situation of combat,and go through a strict series of rules of engagement before using said weapons.

The Greater Siriusian Domain
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 08, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby The Greater Siriusian Domain » Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:59 pm

Teran Saber: "Supportive of the idea, but I have a feeling this won't do very well at vote. Also, I have a gut feeling that this is a duplicate proposal."
"For a mind so determined to reach the sky, on the wings of a dream!" - Sanctity, Zeppo
This nation's factbook supersedes NS stats and issues, but does not completely replace them. If there is a conflict, the Factbook is correct.

Isentran has been DENOUNCED for proposing legislation that would destroy the economy of the Greater Siriusian Domain
The Greater Siriusian Domain is a borderline Class Z9 Civilization according to this scale

Primary Ambassador: Teran Saber, Male Siriusian. Snarky, slightly arrogant.
Substitute Ambassador: Ra'lingth, Male En'gari. Speaks with emphasized "s" sounds.

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:00 am

Violates the Bioweapons legislation which we passed some time ago.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Calladan
Minister

Founded: Jul 28, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Calladan » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:02 am

Victor Exercitus wrote:Unnerved at the suspension of military power by the WA, Restricting a nation's military use of WMD,Nuclear and ICBM weapons.

Recognizing the right of member nations to keep and deploy nuclear weapons for the purposes of national defense, and or attacking enemy nations,whilst not intentionally harming civilian targets.

1. DEFINES, for purposes of this resolution:
“Weapons of Mass Destruction” to be considered anything nuclear,biological,or chemical.

If you are going to define WMD as "nuclear, biological or chemical" then the use of "WMD, nuclear and ICBM" in the first line is somewhat tautologous - should probably be just "WMD"?

"Civilian” to be anyone or anything that has not initiated or threatened explicit violence against your nations or allies.

Arguably speaking this could include any nation's military forces - for example if Calladan has NOT specifically done anything to initiate or threaten violence against your country, then - under your definition - then my entire military structure would classify as civilian. Which I am not sure is what you were aiming for.

2. PERMITS nations to carry and use,if they feel necessary, biological weapons and or;WMD’s,ICBM’s,and Nuclear weapons.Only to defend their nation,not to initiate war

First there is the repetition again - WMD (by your terms) includes biological and nuclear weapons, so you do not need to include them in the list. Second - they are NOT defensive weapons. You can not - by any stretch of the imgination - use a nuclear or biological weapon - as a defensive measure. Nuclear weapons are used to wipe out entire cities in one go - how can that EVER be defensive?? Biological weapons are used to poison an entire race of people - again, not something that can be used defensively.

If you unleash them on someone who is inside your borders, you would be killing your own people as well as the attacker - that would be kind of self-defeating :)

Thirdly - I am fairly sure there are WA resolutions that banned biological warfare a long while back.

3. PROHIBITS the use of any WMD targeted towards civilians,and may only be used for homeland defense or military targets

See above, both in regard to "defensive use" and "civilians"

4. ENCOURAGES nations to seek alternatives to nuclear attack in a situation of combat,and go through a strict series of rules of engagement before using said weapons.

I think you mean "WMD attack" rather than "Nuclear attack" - otherwise it would not cover biological agents or ICBMs.

I realise all this seems picky and - of all of my points - only the one about previous WA resolutions on biological warfare really matter - but sometimes the letter of the law is as important as the spirit.

Plus the idea of using nuclear weapons for defensive purposes is really not logical.
Last edited by Calladan on Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tara A McGill, Ambassador to Lucinda G Doyle III
"Always be yourself, unless you can be Zathras. Then be Zathras"
A Rough Guide To Calladan | The Seven Years of Darkness | Ambassador McGill's Facebook Page
"Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, providing they are Christian & white" - Trump

Noahs Second Country
Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 31, 2016
Anarchy

Postby Noahs Second Country » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:51 am

Seems like a duplicate
needs to be more specific
Westinor wrote:Who knew the face of Big Farma could be the greatest hero of the Cards Proleteriat?
Honeydewistania wrote:Such spunk and arrogance that he welcomes the brigade of hatred!
Orcuo wrote:The plan was foolproof! Unfortunately, I didn’t make it Noah-proof.
WeKnow wrote:I am not a fan of his in the slightest.
Benevolent 0 wrote:You can't seem to ever portray yourself straight.
Bormiar wrote: reckless and greedy, closer to a character issue than something to be rewarded.
Second Best™ - 7x Issues Author, 7x SC Author, Editor, Ex-Minister of Cards of the North Pacific

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:30 pm

More specifically, legalisation of biological weapons would contradict this.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Rutarded
Civilian

Founded: Sep 28, 2016
Ex-Nation

Adding a claws/clause

Postby Rutarded » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:02 pm

Has anyone mentioned suicide bombers? Some of our more adventurous people love running solo missions. :bow: praise be

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011

Postby Separatist Peoples » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:06 pm

Rutarded wrote:Has anyone mentioned suicide bombers? Some of our more adventurous people love running solo missions. :bow: praise be

"Terrorism is already illegal under extant legislation, and I have a hard time seeing suicide units as anything less than an act to deliberately terrorize."

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

Kaboomlandia
Negotiator

Founded: May 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kaboomlandia » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:30 pm

IC (role-played): Ambassador Miller takes a look at the draft before giving Mr. Exercitus a phone call. "On first glance, this appears to duplicate a couple resolutions, namely the Chemical Weapons Accord, Biological Warfare Convention, and a good chunk of the resolutions that already cover nuclear weapons. I don't see where this can go."

OOC (out-of-character, which means I'm speaking as myself and not as my role-played ambassador, Terry Miller): This duplicates quite a few resolutions, which means that if you submit this, it will be ruled illegal by the moderators and removed from the submission queue. I suggest dropping this and reading through the pinned threads at the top of the forum, namely the proposal rules and the list of passed resolutions.

Hope to see you around!
In=character, Kaboomlandia is a World Assembly member and abides by its resolutions. If this nation isn't in the WA, it's for practical reasons.
Author of GA #371 and SC #208, #214, #226, #227, #230, #232
Co-Author of SC #204
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result."
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

"Your legitimacy, Kaboom, has melted away in my eyes. I couldn't have believed that only a shadow of your once brilliant WA career remains."

The Interstellar Federation
Ambassador

Founded: May 09, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby The Interstellar Federation » Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:19 pm

This sounds very familiar. I swear I saw another WMD resolution a few days ago...
Interstellar Federation
Of knowledge and peace
IIWiki l Website l AEGIS Alliance

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly