NATION

PASSWORD

A Change in the way we speak

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Warv
Political Columnist

Founded: Aug 16, 2016
Ex-Nation

A Change in the way we speak

Postby Warv » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:50 am

We, The Free Land Of Warv, "humbly" asked the other members of the World Assembly, to change the way we speak to each other in a global scale.

1. Remove formalities in the way we speak to each other
2. A creation of a global language so we can communicate better, but allow speaking using our native language ONLY in a national scale.

Thank you for your time. This is Warv Central Ideas Organization (WCIO) speaking. See you soon!

Redsection
Minister

Founded: Jan 03, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Redsection » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:52 am

No , death to globalism !!!

- Red Faced General

No but in all honesty why do we need such a thing ?
[*]National Syndicalist
[*]Soon to join the American Blackshirt Party
[*]Majority European, Native American ancestry, latino heritage
[*]Anti: Globalism , Communism , Nazism, Satanism
[*]Pro: Fascism, Guns Rights, Militias

The United Colonies of Earth
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 01, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The United Colonies of Earth » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:53 am

We don't mind speaking other species' or nations' languages.
The United Colonies of Earth exists:
to bring about the settlement of all planets not yet inhabited by a sapient species within this Galaxy and Universe by the Human Race, or all members of the species Homo sapiens;
to ensure the observation and protection of the rights of all human beings;
to defend humankind from invasion, catastrophe, fraud and violence;
to represent the interests of humankind to the other governments of the Galaxy;
to facilitate the perpetuation of the unity of human civilization and infrastructure between otherwise self-governing colonies;
and to promote technological advancement and scientific discovery for the perpetuation and expansion of the unity and empowerment of all human beings.
E Stēllīs Lībertās

The Greater Siriusian Domain
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 08, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby The Greater Siriusian Domain » Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:43 am

Teran Saber: "You're not the first person who's tried to implement a universal language. None of the previous attempts passed, what makes you think yours will be different?"
Last edited by The Greater Siriusian Domain on Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
"For a mind so determined to reach the sky, on the wings of a dream!" - Sanctity, Zeppo
This nation's factbook supersedes NS stats and issues, but does not completely replace them. If there is a conflict, the Factbook is correct.

Isentran has been DENOUNCED for proposing legislation that would destroy the economy of the Greater Siriusian Domain
The Greater Siriusian Domain is a borderline Class Z9 Civilization according to this scale

Primary Ambassador: Teran Saber, Male Siriusian. Snarky, slightly arrogant.
Substitute Ambassador: Ra'lingth, Male En'gari. Speaks with emphasized "s" sounds.

Kettering Town
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Dec 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Kettering Town » Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:45 am

-The Emperor Face-palms-
"Fur Dio's Sachen, They tried this with Espernato, It doesn't work! Trust me!"
Από το Λονδίνο μέχρι το Κάιρο και το πρότυπο του τηλεφώνου φτάνει ψηλά!
The Communique you are reading has been altered by [MINIFOR]
Kettroa can into Embassy!
"From London to Cairo! the Standard Flies High!"
Interested? Read my Minicul Approved Factbooks!
A Level 5 civilization, according to this index.
The [MINIFOR] News Bulletin:--Kettroe Warship Squadrons Bomb Gallacia--Molecular Fission Reactor Prototype Sucessful-- WEATHER [Courtesy of [MINIRESDEV]:Heavy Rain Across the Country, Dark Skies, Listening to Lo-Fi Recommended.--[END NEWSFLASH]

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Separatist Peoples » Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:07 am

"Your Excellency, the formalities that stand between us in how we communicate are essential to properly representing our respective nations. Nobody is willing to punch out an individual who goes by "their excellency", regardless of how much an ambassador deserves it, after all."

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

Calladan
Minister

Founded: Jul 28, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Calladan » Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:35 am

Separatist Peoples wrote:"Your Excellency, the formalities that stand between us in how we communicate are essential to properly representing our respective nations. Nobody is willing to punch out an individual who goes by "their excellency", regardless of how much an ambassador deserves it, after all."

We also find that "Her most sagacious" and "Sagacity" give that level of protection as well :)
Tara A McGill, Ambassador to Lucinda G Doyle III
"Always be yourself, unless you can be Zathras. Then be Zathras"
A Rough Guide To Calladan | The Seven Years of Darkness | Ambassador McGill's Facebook Page
"Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, providing they are Christian & white" - Trump

Tzorsland
Diplomat

Founded: May 08, 2004
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Tzorsland » Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:12 am

Warv wrote:We, The Free Land Of Warv, "humbly" asked the other members of the World Assembly, to change the way we speak to each other in a global scale.

So in other words, in a message that is prefaced with the formality of false humbleness you request to remove the formality of useless titles?

I'm sorry if I an not humble in my reply, but speech is a lot like clothing. Some people prefer all that glitz. Some of the people I hate the most were particularly known for flamboyant clothing but I would never deprive them from their fun.
"A spindizzy going sour makes the galaxy's most unnerving noise!"
"Cruise lightspeed smooth and slient with this years sleek NEW Dillon-Wagoner gravitron polarity generator."
AKA Retired WerePenguins Frustrated Franciscans Blue Booted Bobbies A Running Man Dirty Americans

Kryozerkia
Retired Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Kryozerkia » Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:29 am

Warv wrote:We, The Free Land Of Warv, "humbly" asked the other members of the World Assembly, to change the way we speak to each other in a global scale.

2. A creation of a global language so we can communicate better, but allow speaking using our native language ONLY in a national scale.

Thank you for your time. This is Warv Central Ideas Organization (WCIO) speaking. See you soon!

If you want change then share your proposal draft. This is not a proposal but an outline of a proposal's objectives.

On your points: (1) formalities are often tied to culture. You may find an unwillingness by some to part with those. (2) Translators aid with such communication. If you're intent on this, language education with the objective of promoting multilingualism (or even polyglotism) to create more translators and interpreters.
Problem to Report?
Game-side: Getting Help
Forum-side: Moderation
Technical issue/suggestion: Technical
A-well-a, don't you know about the bird
♦ Well, everybody knows that the bird is the word ♦
♦ A-well-a, bird, bird, b-bird's the word

Get the cheese to Sickbay

"Ok folks, show's over... Nothing to see here... Show's OH MY GOD! A horrible plane crash! Hey everybody, get a load of this flaming wreckage! Come on, crowd around, crowd around, don't be shy, crowd around!" -- Chief Wiggum

States of Glory WA Office
Minister

Founded: Jul 26, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby States of Glory WA Office » Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:47 pm

Kettering town wrote:-The Emperor Face-palms-

Neville: 'Espernato', ambassador?

Separatist Peoples wrote:"Your Excellency, the formalities that stand between us in how we communicate are essential to properly representing our respective nations. Nobody is willing to punch out an individual who goes by "their excellency", regardless of how much an ambassador deserves it, after all."

Fairburn: It didn't work for 'Honourable Ambassador'...
Ambassador: Neville Lynn Robert
Assistant: Harold "The Clown" Johnson
#MakeLegislationFunnyAgain

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Separatist Peoples » Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:44 pm

States of Glory WA Office wrote:
Kettering town wrote:-The Emperor Face-palms-

Neville: 'Espernato', ambassador?

Fairburn: It didn't work for 'Honourable Ambassador'...

"It often works for that, too. Often."

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

Warv
Political Columnist

Founded: Aug 16, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Warv » Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:11 pm

Kryozerkia wrote:

If you want change then share your proposal draft. This is not a proposal but an outline of a proposal's objectives.

On your points: (1) formalities are often tied to culture. You may find an unwillingness by some to part with those. (2) Translators aid with such communication. If you're intent on this, language education with the objective of promoting multilingualism (or even polyglotism) to create more translators and interpreters.

May you explain that in the languages i understand? im not really good with formal speaking you see..

Tahkranul
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 24, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Tahkranul » Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:32 pm

Warv wrote:
Kryozerkia wrote:If you want change then share your proposal draft. This is not a proposal but an outline of a proposal's objectives.

May you explain that in the languages i understand? im not really good with formal speaking you see..

"Darling, ah, to whom am I speaking? The Central Ideas Office sounds so terribly formal for conversation, dear. What is it exactly about plain speech that you find difficult? Is it this 'English' itself that they speak here? Were you not provided with a Universal Translator by the World Assembly staff as I was? If that's the case, you should absolutely see them right away. It's essential for participation, darling."

Este looks about the Assembly with a grin on her face and a determined gleam in her eyes for any stray staffers she can once again commandeer for such an errand.
Make all of NationStates RP again! ;)

Kryozerkia
Retired Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Kryozerkia » Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:43 am

Warv wrote:May you explain that in the languages i understand? im not really good with formal speaking you see..

(a) Nations may not give up cultural formalities without a fight. (b) Not everyone is necessarily capable of being bilingual. Those who can are valuable when bridging communication gaps.
Problem to Report?
Game-side: Getting Help
Forum-side: Moderation
Technical issue/suggestion: Technical
A-well-a, don't you know about the bird
♦ Well, everybody knows that the bird is the word ♦
♦ A-well-a, bird, bird, b-bird's the word

Get the cheese to Sickbay

"Ok folks, show's over... Nothing to see here... Show's OH MY GOD! A horrible plane crash! Hey everybody, get a load of this flaming wreckage! Come on, crowd around, crowd around, don't be shy, crowd around!" -- Chief Wiggum

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly