NATION

PASSWORD

Garrote Tax Rate Regulation [DRAFT] (scrapped)

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Consigahria
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 03, 2007
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Garrote Tax Rate Regulation [DRAFT] (scrapped)

Postby Consigahria » Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:15 am

Original text
We, the myriad body of the World Assembly,

understanding the importance and necessity of the expenditure of money for the purpose of a nation's wealth in amenities such as public transportation, public education, etc.,

yet dismayed at the heartless actions of some member nations who have chosen to collect 100% of the incomes of their working classes in taxes,

and further aghast at the greed and selfishness that the administration of some member nations have exhibited in also choosing to enact and enforce abusive and excessively harsh laws which make payment of a 100% income tax rate compulsory and laws which make the resistance of such a legally reprehensible act, punishable by imprisonment or fines,

recognize the poverty, hunger, destitution, famine, death, pain, and other damages suffered by the victims of these aforementioned atrocities, which number in many thousands of billions,

mandate that no member nation of the World Assembly shall take more than 99.0% of the incomes of their working class, through taxation or any other means,

and exclude from this law individuals and companies which voluntarily give more than that amount.

Source
Code: Select all

[b]understanding[/b] the importance and necessity of the expenditure of money for the purpose of a nation's wealth in amenities such as public transportation, public education, etc.,

[b]yet dismayed[/b] at the heartless actions of some member nations who have chosen to collect 100% of the incomes of their working classes in taxes,

and [b]further aghast[/b] at the greed and selfishness that the administration of some member nations have exhibited in also choosing to enact and enforce abusive and excessively harsh laws which make payment of a 100% income tax rate compulsory and laws which make the resistance of such a legally reprehensible act, punishable by imprisonment or fines,

[b]recognize[/b] the poverty, hunger, destitution, famine, death, pain, and other damages suffered by the victims of these aforementioned atrocities, which number in many thousands of billions,

[b]mandate[/b] that no member nation of the World Assembly shall take more than 99.0% of the incomes of their working class, through taxation or any other means,

and [b]exclude[/b] from this law individuals and companies which voluntarily give more than that amount.

Hello everyone! Pleasure to meet you. I'm new at writing proposals, and my goal is to learn how to do it properly. I recently submitted this proposal to the GA, but moderators removed it because it's not within specifications. They said it is fourth-wall-breaking and "seems to be targeting an aspect of game mechanics."

As I understand it, WA resolutions only affect WA nations, so it isn't intended to target mechanisms of the game. It's not precisely easy to drop taxes, but it's not impossible either--after all, I did it. Consigahria used to have a constant 70-90% tax rate, and today it stays below 25%. Realistically, as per the resolution I wrote, there are socioeconomic problems with a tax rate higher than a certain percentage, although which value percent for which this is true is debatable. What is plain and simple is, a 99% tax rate while mostly unsustainable to life allows a burgeoning black market, while a 100% tax rate eliminates that chance.

So how can we modify this so that it meets specifications?

I can't help but wonder which part they referred to when they said I broke the fourth wall. I didn't mean to do it.
Last edited by Consigahria on Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Os iusti meditabitur sapientiam
NSWiki article
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Any resemblance of any post created by this nation to a real character, place, or idea is completely coincidental and unintentional.
The Scribe of the Prime Minister of the Just Monocracy of the Consigahrian Commonwealth and the Vermillion Plantations
c/o Vermillion City Capital Building
45859 Rural Drive NE
Vermillion City, Capitol Territory
Consigahria

The Greater Siriusian Domain
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 08, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby The Greater Siriusian Domain » Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:18 am

Consigahria wrote:Original text

understanding the importance and necessity of the expenditure of money for the purpose of a nation's wealth in amenities such as public transportation, public education, etc.,

yet dismayed at the heartless actions of some member nations who have chosen to collect 100% of the incomes of their working classes in taxes,

and further aghast at the greed and selfishness that the administration of some member nations have exhibited in also choosing to enact and enforce abusive and excessively harsh laws which make payment of a 100% income tax rate compulsory and laws which make the resistance of such a legally reprehensible act, punishable by imprisonment or fines,

recognize the poverty, hunger, destitution, famine, death, pain, and other damages suffered by the victims of these aforementioned atrocities, which number in many thousands of billions,

mandate that no member nation of the World Assembly shall take more than 99.0% of the incomes of their working class, through taxation or any other means,

and exclude from this law individuals and companies which voluntarily give more than that amount.

Source

[b]understanding[/b] the importance and necessity of the expenditure of money for the purpose of a nation's wealth in amenities such as public transportation, public education, etc.,

[b]yet dismayed[/b] at the heartless actions of some member nations who have chosen to collect 100% of the incomes of their working classes in taxes,

and [b]further aghast[/b] at the greed and selfishness that the administration of some member nations have exhibited in also choosing to enact and enforce abusive and excessively harsh laws which make payment of a 100% income tax rate compulsory and laws which make the resistance of such a legally reprehensible act, punishable by imprisonment or fines,

[b]recognize[/b] the poverty, hunger, destitution, famine, death, pain, and other damages suffered by the victims of these aforementioned atrocities, which number in many thousands of billions,

[b]mandate[/b] that no member nation of the World Assembly shall take more than 99.0% of the incomes of their working class, through taxation or any other means,

and [b]exclude[/b] from this law individuals and companies which voluntarily give more than that amount.

Hello everyone! Pleasure to meet you. I'm new at writing proposals, and my goal is to learn how to do it properly. I recently submitted this proposal to the GA, but moderators removed it because it's not within specifications. They said it is fourth-wall-breaking and "seems to be targeting an aspect of game mechanics."

As I understand it, WA resolutions only affect WA nations, so it isn't intended to target mechanisms of the game. It's not precisely easy to drop taxes, but it's not impossible either--after all, I did it. Consigahria used to have a constant 70-90% tax rate, and today it stays below 25%. Realistically, as per the resolution I wrote, there are socioeconomic problems with a tax rate higher than a certain percentage, although which value percent for which this is true is debatable. What is plain and simple is, a 99% tax rate while mostly unsustainable to life allows a burgeoning black market, while a 100% tax rate eliminates that chance.

I can't help but wonder which part they referred to when they said I broke the fourth wall. I didn't mean to do it.

OOC: It doesn't matter if you're only targeting WA nations, Tax rates are calculated by the NationStates servers. You can't make a proposal that directly changes that.
"For a mind so determined to reach the sky, on the wings of a dream!" - Sanctity, Zeppo
This nation's factbook supersedes NS stats and issues, but does not completely replace them. If there is a conflict, the Factbook is correct.

Isentran has been DENOUNCED for proposing legislation that would destroy the economy of the Greater Siriusian Domain
The Greater Siriusian Domain is a borderline Class Z9 Civilization according to this scale

Primary Ambassador: Teran Saber, Male Siriusian. Snarky, slightly arrogant.
Substitute Ambassador: Ra'lingth, Male En'gari. Speaks with emphasized "s" sounds.

Consigahria
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 03, 2007
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Consigahria » Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:22 am

The Greater Siriusian Domain wrote:
Consigahria wrote:Original text

Source

OOC: It doesn't matter if you're only targeting WA nations, Tax rates are calculated by the NationStates servers. You can't make a proposal that directly changes that.

You misunderstand me. Grossly. Once again, I'm not talking about game mechanisms. Nations are able to eventually change and lower their own tax rates through the issues. Why should a WA nation voluntarily have a 100% income tax rate? Nonsensical.
Os iusti meditabitur sapientiam
NSWiki article
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Any resemblance of any post created by this nation to a real character, place, or idea is completely coincidental and unintentional.
The Scribe of the Prime Minister of the Just Monocracy of the Consigahrian Commonwealth and the Vermillion Plantations
c/o Vermillion City Capital Building
45859 Rural Drive NE
Vermillion City, Capitol Territory
Consigahria

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Separatist Peoples » Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:37 am

"Category? Strength?"

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

Kryozerkia
Retired Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Kryozerkia » Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:37 am

Separatist Peoples wrote:"Category? Strength?"

When it was originally submitted, it was 'Free Trade'.

I am see no difference between the draft submitted prior to the creation of this thread and the draft posted here.

The taxation rate is set by the game's code based on how an individual answers daily issues facing the nation. Stating that member nations must be below X% is impossible as it's coded into the game. As this stands, the proposal is one big game mechanics violation.
Problem to Report?
Game-side: Getting Help
Forum-side: Moderation
Technical issue/suggestion: Technical
A-well-a, don't you know about the bird
♦ Well, everybody knows that the bird is the word ♦
♦ A-well-a, bird, bird, b-bird's the word

Get the cheese to Sickbay

"Ok folks, show's over... Nothing to see here... Show's OH MY GOD! A horrible plane crash! Hey everybody, get a load of this flaming wreckage! Come on, crowd around, crowd around, don't be shy, crowd around!" -- Chief Wiggum

Tahkranul
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 24, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Tahkranul » Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:32 am

Consigahria wrote:
The Greater Siriusian Domain wrote:

You misunderstand me. Grossly. Once again, I'm not talking about game mechanisms. Nations are able to eventually change and lower their own tax rates through the issues. Why should a WA nation voluntarily have a 100% income tax rate? Nonsensical.

OOC: Yes, you are talking game mechanisms. That's why I have to respond Out Of Character (OOC) instead of RolePlaying (RP) my responses In Character (IC). Your proposal is targeting the game mechanics of the Taxation stats as they are influenced by issues, which come up in gameplay in a resolution that would otherwise be confined to RP. You are also trying to mandate other player's choices in responding to those issues -- which is unacceptable.
The game mechanics can't handle the real life budgetary response of reallocation of funding, so it automatically spikes taxes with a lot of issue responses. You can't change that. You also cannot dictate your choices in issue responses to other players. If you think you have a system working out that's perfect for a nation that wants low taxes while prioritizing, say, Healthcare, Welfare, and Education, then what you do is write up a Dispatch in your Factbook and promote the hell out of it.
Does that clear things up? Take a look through the passed resolutions, or through other drafts being debated. Rights of the Quarantined, Foreign Patent Act, or Nuclear Weapons Accord. Those should give you an idea of how resolutions are proposed, debated, and hopefully passed. The Passed Resolutions will let you see what gaps you might be interested in filling.
Make all of NationStates RP again! ;)

Krioval
Minister

Founded: Jan 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Krioval » Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:18 am

The World Assembly should not be in the business of regulating the taxation of garrotes. Frankly, the Imperial Chiefdom feels that such narrow regulation is...um...well. I have just been informed that the garrote is meant to be metaphorical. In that case, the Imperial Chiefdom must regretfully lodge its opinion as against the direct regulation of taxes in its member states. And I have at least one prankster among my staff that might need to be acquainted with a decidedly non-metaphorical garrote. Please excuse me.

Tau Kriov
Imperial Chiefdom of Krioval

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:01 pm

Setting national tax rates is (1) a violation of 17 GA and (2) a violation of the Game Mechanics rule. These are quite clear.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

States of Glory WA Office
Minister

Founded: Jul 26, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby States of Glory WA Office » Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:51 pm

Neville: What's a "garrote"?

Fairburn: The same thing as a "trill", I'm assuming. The literacy rate in these halls is appalling.

Neville: If you're trying to regulate taxes on carrots, Ambassador Whatshisname, it should be spelt with a 'c'.

Fairburn: Also, having the WA regulate taxes on carrots is pretty stupid.

OOC: Before anyone responds, I'd just like to make clear that I do know what a garrote is.
Ambassador: Neville Lynn Robert
Assistant: Harold "The Clown" Johnson
#MakeLegislationFunnyAgain

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:43 pm

States of Glory WA Office wrote:Neville: What's a "garrote"?

Fairburn: The same thing as a "trill", I'm assuming. The literacy rate in these halls is appalling.

Garrote: a wire, cord, or other implement used for [ killing (someone) by strangulation, especially with a length of wire or cord ].

Also, trills are quite clear. So clear in fact that people have had entire debates over them.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

States of Glory WA Office
Minister

Founded: Jul 26, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby States of Glory WA Office » Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:11 pm

Imperium Anglorum wrote:Also, trills are quite clear. So clear in fact that people have had entire debates over them.

Neville: Since when did we have debates over musical ornaments?

Fairburn: I think that Lord Colonel His Grace Cyril Parsons, 1st Duke of Geneva, 1st Earl Parsons of Eastminster, 8th Viscount Parsons of Eastminster, 1st Baron Markenshire of Concilium, Knight of the Garter, Grand Cross of St Michael and St George, Privy Councillor, Member of Parliament for Those-Across-the-Seas; Proconsul Decimus; Permanent Representative to the World Assembly is referring to a type of consonantal sound which is utilised in some languages. What we're obligated to do with them, I don't know.
Ambassador: Neville Lynn Robert
Assistant: Harold "The Clown" Johnson
#MakeLegislationFunnyAgain

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly