NATION

PASSWORD

[Draft] Repeal Digital Network Defense

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Cresenthia
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 03, 2015
Ex-Nation

[Draft] Repeal Digital Network Defense

Postby Cresenthia » Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:01 pm

Recognizing the good efforts of the World Assembly to secure digital devices,

Further more pleased by the restrictions placed upon governments to keep said devices secure,

But concerned that the term “cyberattack” is to be “any act of unlawful access to or alteration of numerical information stored on digital devices” actions so diverse as editing one’s own digital shopping list, and unauthorized access to a government network.

Further concerned that “cyberattacks” must be considered “acts of violence” and mandates that “individuals committing cyberattacks be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law,” which may be well out of proportion to the actual offense, and regardless of the actual offense, may vary wildly between member states.

Also faulting the resolution for terms such as “digital security threats” and “unlawful access to or alteration of numerical information” that are not defined, and may be interpreted by member governments in inconsistent and damaging ways.

Perturbed by the proposition that this resolution may hinder or discourage further advances in the field of information technology, for fear for violating the resolution.

Believing that this resolution is misguided, and damaging,

Hereby repeals GA Resolution #378: Digital Network Defense.

Calladan
Minister

Founded: Jul 28, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Calladan » Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:32 pm

Cresenthia wrote:Recognizing the good efforts of the World Assembly to secure digital devices,

Further more pleased by the restrictions placed upon governments to keep said devices secure,

But concerned that the term “cyberattack” is to be “any act of unlawful access to or alteration of numerical information stored on digital devices” actions so diverse as editing one’s own digital shopping list, and unauthorized access to a government network.

Further concerned that “cyberattacks” must be considered “acts of violence” and mandates that “individuals committing cyberattacks be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law,” which may be well out of proportion to the actual offense, and regardless of the actual offense, may vary wildly between member states.

Also faulting the resolution for terms such as “digital security threats” and “unlawful access to or alteration of numerical information” that are not defined, and may be interpreted by member governments in inconsistent and damaging ways.

Perturbed by the proposition that this resolution may hinder or discourage further advances in the field of information technology, for fear for violating the resolution.

While I accept the general idea, I would point out that - depending what you hack into and change in any given network, you can do a lot of damage, either to one person or to a whole bunch of people.

If you change someone's medical record to remove an allergy to penicillin, for example, then the next time that person gets treated they could EASILY be killed by the doctors through no fault of either the person or the medical staff treating them.

So I don't think that "acts of violence" is too excessive a description in some cases, given that changing even a small bit of information about someone's life can have massive, sometimes fatal consequences.
Tara A McGill, Ambassador to Lucinda G Doyle III
"Always be yourself, unless you can be Zathras. Then be Zathras"
A Rough Guide To Calladan | The Seven Years of Darkness | Ambassador McGill's Facebook Page
"Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, providing they are Christian & white" - Trump

Cresenthia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Cresenthia » Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:38 pm

Calladan wrote:
Cresenthia wrote:Recognizing the good efforts of the World Assembly to secure digital devices,

While I accept the general idea, I would point out that - depending what you hack into and change in any given network, you can do a lot of damage, either to one person or to a whole bunch of people.

If you change someone's medical record to remove an allergy to penicillin, for example, then the next time that person gets treated they could EASILY be killed by the doctors through no fault of either the person or the medical staff treating them.

So I don't think that "acts of violence" is too excessive a description in some cases, given that changing even a small bit of information about someone's life can have massive, sometimes fatal consequences.

I agree that it is certainly possible to do damage by gaining unauthorized access to data. However, stealing someone's credit card would probably not be considered an act of violence, albeit it is criminal. My main point is that all cyberattacks must be considered violent under DND, despite what the cyber attack actually is.

Calladan
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Calladan » Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:25 am

Cresenthia wrote:
Calladan wrote:

I agree that it is certainly possible to do damage by gaining unauthorized access to data. However, stealing someone's credit card would probably not be considered an act of violence, albeit it is criminal. My main point is that all cyberattacks must be considered violent under DND, despite what the cyber attack actually is.

Well - I could post some philosophical nonsense about violence against the soul and emotional violence against each other, but since I am not my mother, I won't.

But do you have a suggestion as to what could replace this? Something that would do more or less what the current one does, even if it does it in a more balanced and logical manner than the current one? (A stiletto rather than a hammer?)
A Rough Guide To Calladan | The Seven Years of Darkness | Ambassador McGill's Facebook Page
"Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, providing they are Christian & white" - Trump

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Separatist Peoples » Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:55 am

Cresenthia wrote:But concerned that the term “cyberattack” is to be “any act of unlawful access to or alteration of numerical information stored on digital devices” actions so diverse as editing one’s own digital shopping list, and unauthorized access to a government network.

"If editing one's own digital shopping list is a crime, why shouldn't people be prosecuted for it? It would be a stupid law, but it would, nonetheless, be illegal to engage in. Your example is poor."

"While there are plenty of reasons to be upset with placing cyberattacks on par with physical assault, this is the worst of them. Prosecuting somebody to the fullest extend means that the state brings all possible, applicable charges against the perpetrator. It does not mean you slap them in jail for as long as you can get away with, as that would be "sentencing to the fullest extent of the law". You have a fundamental misunderstanding of the phrase."

"Digital security threats are threats to the security of digital devices. Unlawful access or alteration of numerical information is the alteration of information, which is numerical, that is illegal. These terms do not require definitions any more than "prosecution to the fullest extent of the law" requires a definition."

"That's...okay, that's a fair argument.

"It isn't a bad proposal, but you have a couple fatal flaws you should address, ambassador."

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:57 am

Separatist Peoples wrote:"Prosecuting somebody to the fullest extend means that the state brings all possible, applicable charges against the perpetrator. It does not mean you slap them in jail for as long as you can get away with, as that would be "sentencing to the fullest extent of the law". You have a fundamental misunderstanding of the phrase."

"Or, maybeso, a temporary confusion between the terms 'prosecuting' and 'persecuting'?"

Artorrios o SouthWoods,
ChairBear, Bears Armed Mission at the World Assembly.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Cresenthia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Cresenthia » Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:42 am

Calladan wrote:
Cresenthia wrote:I agree that it is certainly possible to do damage by gaining unauthorized access to data. However, stealing someone's credit card would probably not be considered an act of violence, albeit it is criminal. My main point is that all cyberattacks must be considered violent under DND, despite what the cyber attack actually is.

Well - I could post some philosophical nonsense about violence against the soul and emotional violence against each other, but since I am not my mother, I won't.

But do you have a suggestion as to what could replace this? Something that would do more or less what the current one does, even if it does it in a more balanced and logical manner than the current one? (A stiletto rather than a hammer?)

The number one difference would be in the definition of cyberattack, and it would be changed in all likelihood to simply unauthorized access. The definition of digital device would also be changed, but to just what, I'm not sure of as of now.
Separatist Peoples wrote:
Cresenthia wrote:But concerned that the term “cyberattack” is to be “any act of unlawful access to or alteration of numerical information stored on digital devices” actions so diverse as editing one’s own digital shopping list, and unauthorized access to a government network.

"If editing one's own digital shopping list is a crime, why shouldn't people be prosecuted for it? It would be a stupid law, but it would, nonetheless, be illegal to engage in. Your example is poor."

Because why would the WA want to be known for helping prosecute people for such frivolous crimes? Do you have a better example? :blink:

"Digital security threats are threats to the security of digital devices. Unlawful access or alteration of numerical information is the alteration of information, which is numerical, that is illegal. These terms do not require definitions any more than "prosecution to the fullest extent of the law" requires a definition."

Here I'm mostly picking an issue with the phrasing of the resolution, as depending on how you read it, it can be mildly ambiguous. Depending on your reading, it could be interpreted as any alteration of numerical information is forbidden, which, I hope, is not what the author of this resolution intended.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:28 am

Cresenthia wrote:Because why would the WA want to be known for helping prosecute people for such frivolous crimes? Do you have a better example? :blink:

"Upsetting the rule of law should be avoided unless absolutely necessary, because it breeds instability. Occasionally, this is justified. Mostly, it is not, and serves as an unnecessary intrusion. Making it illegal to change one's digital shopping list is undeniably frivolous, but the underlying principal of the law and the relation that the example has to it deals with illegal digital access. The issue is not that the list was changed, it was that, in order to change it, an individual violated a digital security protocol's integrity, and the state - and the WA as it happens - has a vested interest in reducing that activity. Neither should be barred from enforcing standards that improve the security of digital networks as a whole. You might benefit from stating that the strict conditions that this law requires can lead to disproportionate responses, but a violation of the integrity of any digital system, regardless of how minor, is worthy of being discouraged."

Here I'm mostly picking an issue with the phrasing of the resolution, as depending on how you read it, it can be mildly ambiguous. Depending on your reading, it could be interpreted as any alteration of numerical information is forbidden, which, I hope, is not what the author of this resolution intended.

"Such an interpretation would be contrary to any state's goals of being able to actually use a digital system. Unless nations are looking for another excuse to ban the use of computers, an endeavor already totally legal, no state will reasonably rely on that interpretation. You would benefit from changing this argument to suggest that the wording is awkward, but suggesting an absurd interpretation as common among nations is too easy to rebut to justify keeping."

Bears Armed wrote:
Separatist Peoples wrote:"Prosecuting somebody to the fullest extend means that the state brings all possible, applicable charges against the perpetrator. It does not mean you slap them in jail for as long as you can get away with, as that would be "sentencing to the fullest extent of the law". You have a fundamental misunderstanding of the phrase."

"Or, maybeso, a temporary confusion between the terms 'prosecuting' and 'persecuting'?"

Artorrios o SouthWoods,
ChairBear, Bears Armed Mission at the World Assembly.

"Mayhaps that was the case, but, in contravention of Poe's Law, I'm going to ascribe "malice"* before ignorance, seeing as we're all professionals."

* Where malice more accurately means intention rather than actual malicious inclusion
Last edited by Separatist Peoples on Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!

Cresenthia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Cresenthia » Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:35 am

"Such an interpretation would be contrary to any state's goals of being able to actually use a digital system. Unless nations are looking for another excuse to ban the use of computers, an endeavor already totally legal, no state will reasonably rely on that interpretation. You would benefit from changing this argument to suggest that the wording is awkward, but suggesting an absurd interpretation as common among nations is too easy to rebut to justify keeping."

Out of curiosity, which resolution permits governments to ban the usage of computers, or is there nothing on that subject?

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:36 am

Cresenthia wrote:

Out of curiosity, which resolution permits governments to ban the usage of computers, or is there nothing on that subject?

"There isn't any explicit law on the subject, and we all know what the mice do when the cat is away."

Cresenthia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Cresenthia » Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:59 am

Cresenthia wrote:Out of curiosity, which resolution permits governments to ban the usage of computers, or is there nothing on that subject?

"There isn't any explicit law on the subject, and we all know what the mice do when the cat is away."

"Then perhaps I'll include some language on the matter in a replacement, if I get this repeal passed. Does anyone see any posssible issues with legality?"

Calladan
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Calladan » Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:54 am

This isn't so much legality as interpretation.

“any act of unlawful access to or alteration of numerical information stored on digital devices”

From the text of the repeal, it would appear that you are only applying the word "unlawful" to the "access" part of the clause, whereas I would have thought it applied to all of it :-

"any act of unlawful access to or unlawful alteration of numerical information stored on digital devices"

If this is the interpretation that applies, then your example of changing your shopping list doesn't hold water any more - it would only be if someone changed it without your permission by hacking in to your phone/tablet/etc to do it.

Of course, the fact that it can be looked at both ways is probably a sign of REALLY badly written clause - one that should almost certainly be looked at again - but I just thought I would mention it, since it does seem to be the foundation of your repeal (to some degree).

Also - to get back to the "acts of violence" thing, the fact that we are required to prosecute to the fullest extent of the law doesn't really stand up as a reason to repeal it.

In Calladan we have various punishments for "acts of violence" depending on the violence in question. If you hit someone, it's considered a very mild act and (this is just an example, not an exact explanation of Calladan's legal system) generally you get a fine. But if you hit someone with an iron bar, you get a more severe punishment (such as going to jail for a little while). And if you hit someone with a car...... well - you get the idea.

As such, we rate "digital violence" on similar scales. Minor acts are treated as minor acts and prosecuted as such - to the full extent of the law, which does not extend very far. But for major acts the law extends a great deal further.

Now the fact that different nations might do this differently is not really a concern of my government. A lot of nations will have the death penalty, while Calladan abolished that at the start of the DE. A lot of nations have severe punishments for not worshipping their deities, while Calladan finds that crazy and insane. And a lot of nations have severe punishments for not going to the pub on a Saturday night, while on Calladan we only put you in jail if you don't go on a Friday night - Saturday night you can do what you want.

Yes - it does mean some nations might execute people for hacking. But - quite honestly - the government of Calladan finds executing people for murder, mass murder and genocide offensive, so the fact people might get put to death for hacking is neither here not there.

(Again - this is not so much legality as presenting my opinion. Because, after reviewing the reasons for repeal, me and my Tri-Arch can not find any compelling reasons to support it. Sorry)
Last edited by Calladan on Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:00 am

Calladan wrote:This isn't so much legality as interpretation.

“any act of unlawful access to or alteration of numerical information stored on digital devices”

From the text of the repeal, it would appear that you are only applying the word "unlawful" to the "access" part of the clause, whereas I would have thought it applied to all of it :-

"any act of unlawful access to or unlawful alteration of numerical information stored on digital devices"

If this is the interpretation that applies, then your example of changing your shopping list doesn't hold water any more - it would only be if someone changed it without your permission by hacking in to your phone/tablet/etc to do it.

Of course, the fact that it can be looked at both ways is probably a sign of REALLY badly written clause - one that should almost certainly be looked at again - but I just thought I would mention it, since it does seem to be the foundation of your repeal (to some degree).

"I agree, the argument can absolutely be made that the clause is written poorly. I, at least, am neither disputing nor agreeing with that. It's how the argument approaches the issue that gives you problems. At worst, that could signify an Honest Mistake violation, because it assumes an interpretation at odds with the accepted interpretation.

"I grant you that the current application of the Honest Mistake rule generally requires that an interpretation be valid, not necessarily accepted, but this particular interpretation is particularly tenuous. The context clearly supports 'unlawful' modifying the following two actions, because the assumption that lawful alteration is banned is not only unreasonable, it's nonsensical."

States of Glory WA Office
Minister

Founded: Jul 26, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby States of Glory WA Office » Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:42 pm

Separatist Peoples wrote:"Mayhaps that was the case, but, in contravention of Poe's Law, I'm going to ascribe "malice"* before ignorance, seeing as we're all professionals."

OOC: You're mixing up Poe's Law with Hanlon's razor. Poe's Law is about how difficult it can be to tell genuine extremism from parodies of extremism.
Ambassador: Neville Lynn Robert
Assistant: Harold "The Clown" Johnson
#MakeLegislationFunnyAgain

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:54 am

States of Glory WA Office wrote:
Separatist Peoples wrote:"Mayhaps that was the case, but, in contravention of Poe's Law, I'm going to ascribe "malice"* before ignorance, seeing as we're all professionals."

OOC: You're mixing up Poe's Law with Hanlon's razor. Poe's Law is about how difficult it can be to tell genuine extremism from parodies of extremism.

OOC: Bell doesn't spend a ton of time on the internet. That was a deliberate mistake on my part, though accidental on his.

Kryozerkia
Retired Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Kryozerkia » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:11 am

Just a couple of observations.

(a) Your interpretation of: ""cyberattack" as any act of unlawful access to or alteration of numerical information stored on digital devices. For the purposes of cooperation with other WA legislation, such acts are to be considered acts of violence.". The 'unlawful' element applies to both "access" and "alternation". Your examples could be seen as an honest mistake or deliberate misinterpretation.

(b) You may also want to review the resolution your repeal is targeting. You say it mandates that cyberattacks be treated as "acts of violence" but GAR#378 does mandate that they be considered "criminal offenses". Not all crimes are violent.
Problem to Report?
Game-side: Getting Help
Forum-side: Moderation
Technical issue/suggestion: Technical
A-well-a, don't you know about the bird
♦ Well, everybody knows that the bird is the word ♦
♦ A-well-a, bird, bird, b-bird's the word

Get the cheese to Sickbay

"Ok folks, show's over... Nothing to see here... Show's OH MY GOD! A horrible plane crash! Hey everybody, get a load of this flaming wreckage! Come on, crowd around, crowd around, don't be shy, crowd around!" -- Chief Wiggum

Excidium Planetis
Powerbroker

Founded: May 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Excidium Planetis » Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:30 am

Kryozerkia wrote:(b) You may also want to review the resolution your repeal is targeting. You say it mandates that cyberattacks be treated as "acts of violence" but GAR#378 does mandate that they be considered "criminal offenses". Not all crimes are violent.

OOC:
Actually, GA#378 does say that for the purposes of cooperation with other WA resolutions, cyber attacks are to be considered acts of violence. That doesn't necessarily mean that they be punished as acts of violence, however.

(The purpose of this was to allow some kinds of cyberattacks to fall under the definition of terrorism in GA#25, which specifies that use of violence is terrorism.)
Current Ambassador: Adelia Meritt
Ex-Ambassador: Cornelia Schultz, author of GA#355 and GA#368.
#MakeLegislationFunnyAgain
Singaporean Transhumans wrote:You didn't know about Excidium? The greatest space nomads in the NS multiverse with a healthy dose (read: over 9000 percent) of realism?
Saveyou Island wrote:"Warmest welcomes to the Assembly, ambassador. You'll soon learn to hate everyone here."
Imperium Anglorum wrote:Digital Network Defence is pretty meh
Tier 9 nation, according to my index.Made of nomadic fleets.

News: AI wins Dawn Fleet election for High Counselor.

Europe and Oceania
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 07, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Europe and Oceania » Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:56 am

We support this.
"For after all what is man in nature? A nothing in relation to infinity, all in relation to nothing, a central point between nothing and all and infinitely far from understanding either" --Blaise Pascal

"The Republican Party is not even a party anymore, it's just a group of Christian Fundamentalists and representatives for Corporate America."
--Kyle Kulinski, Host of Secular Talk

WA Delegate and Founder of New Utopian World

Kryozerkia
Retired Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Kryozerkia » Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:06 pm

Excidium Planetis wrote:
Kryozerkia wrote:(b) You may also want to review the resolution your repeal is targeting. You say it mandates that cyberattacks be treated as "acts of violence" but GAR#378 does mandate that they be considered "criminal offenses". Not all crimes are violent.

OOC:
Actually, GA#378 does say that for the purposes of cooperation with other WA resolutions, cyber attacks are to be considered acts of violence. That doesn't necessarily mean that they be punished as acts of violence, however.

(The purpose of this was to allow some kinds of cyberattacks to fall under the definition of terrorism in GA#25, which specifies that use of violence is terrorism.)

Why did my brain shut down on reading that line?
Problem to Report?
Game-side: Getting Help
Forum-side: Moderation
Technical issue/suggestion: Technical
A-well-a, don't you know about the bird
♦ Well, everybody knows that the bird is the word ♦
♦ A-well-a, bird, bird, b-bird's the word

Get the cheese to Sickbay

"Ok folks, show's over... Nothing to see here... Show's OH MY GOD! A horrible plane crash! Hey everybody, get a load of this flaming wreckage! Come on, crowd around, crowd around, don't be shy, crowd around!" -- Chief Wiggum

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly