NATION

PASSWORD

Secretariat's Council (MEMBERS ANNOUNCED)

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Sedgistan
Site Director

Founded: Oct 20, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Sedgistan » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:24 am

Just confirming that SC rulings on proposal legality don't apply to the GA.

Excidium Planetis
Powerbroker

Founded: May 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Excidium Planetis » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:37 am

Gruenberg wrote:The SC has nothing to do with the WA. Its rules and rulings don't apply here. And given how strenuously SC players resisted playing by WA rules when it was first introduced, it would be at best unseemly for them now to force their stuff on us.

Wow. Way to completely ignore everything I wrote.

Sciongrad wrote:
Excidium Planetis wrote:How does SC's Rule 4 vary substantially from our Real World and Metagaming rules?

Are you actually trying to argue that SC rules have any value in the GA? Like, is this a joke? The GA's rules on metagaming are significantly stricter than the SC's.

In what way are they "significantly stricter", and how would they restrict a mention of telegram campaigns in an IC manner?

The logic of Sedgistan's ruling still applies to the GA rules, even if the ruling does not apply to the GA. Were I to draft a proposal here mentioning telegram campaigns, I would make the same argument as I did in the SC. What would cause mods to rule differently?
Last edited by Excidium Planetis on Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Current Ambassador: Adelia Meritt
Ex-Ambassador: Cornelia Schultz, author of GA#355 and GA#368.
#MakeLegislationFunnyAgain
Singaporean Transhumans wrote:You didn't know about Excidium? The greatest space nomads in the NS multiverse with a healthy dose (read: over 9000 percent) of realism?
Saveyou Island wrote:"Warmest welcomes to the Assembly, ambassador. You'll soon learn to hate everyone here."
Imperium Anglorum wrote:Digital Network Defence is pretty meh
Tier 9 nation, according to my index.Made of nomadic fleets.

News: AI wins Dawn Fleet election for High Counselor.

Sciongrad
Minister

Founded: Mar 11, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Sciongrad » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:38 am

Excidium Planetis wrote:The logic of Sedgistan's ruling still applies to the GA rules, even if the ruling does not apply to the GA.

Sedgistan wrote:Just confirming that SC rulings on proposal legality don't apply to the GA.

Were I to draft a proposal here mentioning telegram campaigns, I would make the same argument as I did in the SC. What would cause mods to rule differently?

You've been here long enough to know that the SC rules do not apply to the GA. You're being deliberately contrarian. Quit it, please.
Last edited by Sciongrad on Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
Natalia Santos, Plenipotentiary and Permanent Scionite Representative to the World Assembly

Ideological Bulwark #271

Gruenberg
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 18, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Gruenberg » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:04 am

Excidium Planetis wrote:In what way are they "significantly stricter"

Because the purpose of the WA rules is to actually separate IC and OOC, whereas the purpose of the SC rules is merely to require that any references to OOC actions be done in "Gameplay-IC" language. (Why, I have no idea; Rule 4 was an insipid creation.) You could write, in Gameplay-IC, Rule-4-compliant, language, a reference to region crashing, but such a reference would remain illegal in WA resolutions.
Excidium Planetis wrote:and how would they restrict a mention of telegram campaigns in an IC manner?

Probably depends on context. But in general, acknowledging actions on the forum is illegal, and that could reasonably be extended to actions undertaken through the telegram system.
"Do you mean "coming out"...as a Guardian reader would understand the term?"

Talkistan
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Talkistan » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:19 am

Gruenberg wrote:
Excidium Planetis wrote:and how would they restrict a mention of telegram campaigns in an IC manner?

Probably depends on context. But in general, acknowledging actions on the forum is illegal, and that could reasonably be extended to actions undertaken through the telegram system.

The fact that one can't refer to individual nations (or groups of nations) in GA proposals would make it quite difficult to reference TG campaigns without resorting to extreme circumlocution. Not that I'd put it beyond some of our esteemed members, but it would probably end up being a waste of effort.

Gruenberg
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Gruenberg » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:24 am

Talkistan wrote:
Gruenberg wrote:Probably depends on context. But in general, acknowledging actions on the forum is illegal, and that could reasonably be extended to actions undertaken through the telegram system.

The fact that one can't refer to individual nations (or groups of nations) in GA proposals would make it quite difficult to reference TG campaigns without resorting to extreme circumlocution. Not that I'd put it beyond some of our esteemed members, but it would probably end up being a waste of effort.

I don't think it would be very difficult:

"Noting that the recent diplomatic correspondence sent to WA member nations by the author of the resolution misleadingly implied that the resolution would ban carrots whereas it in fact bans only parsnips"

I just think it would be illegal. (However, the ruling forcing us to recognize the SC does mess up the metagaming rules a lot, so I may well be wrong.)
Last edited by Gruenberg on Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tzorsland
Diplomat

Founded: May 08, 2004
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Tzorsland » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:25 am

The Blaatschapen wrote:And then someone manages to campaign successfully for a repeal later on. And then what?

Is is the hard coded resolution number or the category which is unrepealable (WA 1 is unrepealable and the only Bookkeeping resolution). I tend to forget.
"A spindizzy going sour makes the galaxy's most unnerving noise!"
"Cruise lightspeed smooth and slient with this years sleek NEW Dillon-Wagoner gravitron polarity generator."
AKA Retired WerePenguins Frustrated Franciscans Blue Booted Bobbies A Running Man Dirty Americans

Excidium Planetis
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Excidium Planetis » Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:20 pm

Sciongrad wrote:You've been here long enough to know that the SC rules do not apply to the GA. You're being deliberately contrarian. Quit it, please.

You are deliberately ignoring what I am saying.

Gruenberg wrote:
Excidium Planetis wrote:In what way are they "significantly stricter"

Because the purpose of the WA rules is to actually separate IC and OOC, whereas the purpose of the SC rules is merely to require that any references to OOC actions be done in "Gameplay-IC" language. (Why, I have no idea; Rule 4 was an insipid creation.)

That's GA convention, yes... But how? What specific part of the GA rules differs from Rule 4 in such a way that makes it illegal? How are GA rules worded differently that makes this the case?

I'll argue my case with the current GA rules, ignoring the SC. The first problem is the Real World rule, obviously.
Real World Reference: WA laws are written for the world of NationStates and the fictional countries therein, so your proposal should not contain any real world references. This includes but is not limited to, world leaders, real world persons, places, organizations and/or events. Generic references, however, are permitted, such as religions, political philosophies, languages, general scientific terminology, and phenomena.

But, as Sedgistan pointed out, the reference to telegram campaigns is a reference to the game, not anything in the real world. So this rule does not make it illegal to mention telegram campaigns.

What about metagaming?
Mechanics: There are aspects of gameplay and the game itself that cannot be legislated on, either because it requires a code change or it breaks the 'fourth wall'.
Meta-Gaming: Proposals cannot break the "fourth wall" or attempt to force events outside of the WA itself. This includes and is not limited to forcing the Security Council to carry out specific actions, mandating that regions carry out specific actions, and forcing compliance on non-member nations.

Obviously, mentioning telegram campaigns is not attempting to force events outside the WA, so we can rule that out. That leaves the "fourth wall" breaking aspect. Again, Sedgistan's comments in the SC ruling apply here as well, since the mention of telegram campaigns was not done in a way that referred to the game as a game... it did not break the fourth wall. It referred to events which could plausibly have happened in the world of NationStates.

Can you provide a ruling for that?

Talkistan wrote:The fact that one can't refer to individual nations (or groups of nations) in GA proposals would make it quite difficult to reference TG campaigns without resorting to extreme circumlocution. Not that I'd put it beyond some of our esteemed members, but it would probably end up being a waste of effort.

That's due to the Branding rule, however, not the Metagaming rule. If we return to the original topic of debate, a mention of the Council, no Branding violations would occur.
Singaporean Transhumans wrote:You didn't know about Excidium? The greatest space nomads in the NS multiverse with a healthy dose (read: over 9000 percent) of realism?
Saveyou Island wrote:"Warmest welcomes to the Assembly, ambassador. You'll soon learn to hate everyone here."

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:48 pm

...why are you guys arguing about SC/GA rules on this thread? Go make a discussion thread for it. Mods have previously said we're allowed to do that for issues that are argued about a lot.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Omigodtheykilledkenny
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 14, 2005
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Omigodtheykilledkenny » Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:55 pm

Please don't put EP on the council.
Omigodtheykilledkenny FAQ | "The Biggest Sovereigntist IN THE WORLD" - Chester Pearson

Gruenberg
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Gruenberg » Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:02 pm

Excidium Planetis wrote:Can you provide a ruling for that?

No, obviously I can't. The relevant ruling absolutely exists, in fact it was one of the most important rulings in the development of the current rules, but unfortunately the mods recently ruled that rulings from that era can no longer be cited. It was an asinine and bizarre decision of theirs to do that, but it's what we're stuck with.
Last edited by Gruenberg on Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Excidium Planetis
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Excidium Planetis » Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:24 pm

Omigodtheykilledkenny wrote:Please don't put EP on the council.

No one has nominated me, so obviously that can't happen even if the mods really, really liked me.

And let's face it, no one here is going to nominate me.

Gruenberg wrote:
Excidium Planetis wrote:Can you provide a ruling for that?

No, obviously I can't. The relevant ruling absolutely exists, in fact it was one of the most important rulings in the development of the current rules, but unfortunately the mods recently ruled that rulings from that era can no longer be cited. It was an asinine and bizarre decision of theirs to do that, but it's what we're stuck with.

So, you claim that mentioning actions on the forums is illegal, but the rules don't mention that, and moderators have no official rulings on it.

Sedgistan
Site Director

Anarchy

Postby Sedgistan » Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:40 pm

Please could this discussion continue elsewhere.

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 29, 2009
New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:43 pm

Whoa, I didn't say anything about the SC. All I did is broach the question of putting the new council within or outside the "fourth wall."
Leo Tolstoy wrote:Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it.
GA#160: Forced Marriages Ban Act (79%)
GA#175: Organ and Blood Donations Act (68%)^
SC#082: Repeal "Liberate Catholic" (80%)
GA#200: Foreign Marriage Recognition (54%)
GA#213: Privacy Protection Act (70%)
GA#231: Marital Rape Justice Act (81%)^
GA#233: Ban Profits on Workers' Deaths (80%)*
GA#249: Stopping Suicide Seeds (70%)^
GA#253: Repeal "Freedom in Medical Research" (76%)
GA#285: Assisted Suicide Act (70%)^
GA#310: Disabled Voters Act (81%)
GA#373: Repeal "Convention on Execution" (54%)
GA#468: Prohibit Private Prisons (57%)^

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution
#360: Electile Dysfunction
#452: Foetal Furore
#560: Bicameral Backlash
#570: Clerical Errors

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 29, 2009
New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:40 pm

Leo Tolstoy wrote:Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it.
GA#160: Forced Marriages Ban Act (79%)
GA#175: Organ and Blood Donations Act (68%)^
SC#082: Repeal "Liberate Catholic" (80%)
GA#200: Foreign Marriage Recognition (54%)
GA#213: Privacy Protection Act (70%)
GA#231: Marital Rape Justice Act (81%)^
GA#233: Ban Profits on Workers' Deaths (80%)*
GA#249: Stopping Suicide Seeds (70%)^
GA#253: Repeal "Freedom in Medical Research" (76%)
GA#285: Assisted Suicide Act (70%)^
GA#310: Disabled Voters Act (81%)
GA#373: Repeal "Convention on Execution" (54%)
GA#468: Prohibit Private Prisons (57%)^

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution
#360: Electile Dysfunction
#452: Foetal Furore
#560: Bicameral Backlash
#570: Clerical Errors

Gruenberg
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Gruenberg » Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:57 am

Earlier in the thread, there was an openness to ideas, no matter how far-fetched and unlikely. Does that still apply? I have a far-fetched and unlikely idea, but, if we're passed that stage and it would just be distractingly off-topic, fair enough.

Sedgistan
Site Director

Anarchy

Postby Sedgistan » Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:15 am

You might as well suggest it. If it's liable to start a massive threadjack, it can always be split off into its own thread.

Omigodtheykilledkenny
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 14, 2005

Postby Omigodtheykilledkenny » Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:27 pm

Christian Democrats wrote:Whoa, I didn't say anything about the SC. All I did is broach the question of putting the new council within or outside the "fourth wall."

RP the council any way you freakin' want, just don't try to force RP in proposals. If players don't wish to recognize the council as legitimate RP, they shouldn't be forced to acknowledge it in a WA resolution. Metagaming is metagaming is metagaming.
Omigodtheykilledkenny FAQ | "The Biggest Sovereigntist IN THE WORLD" - Chester Pearson

Mexiklyn
Political Columnist

Founded: Oct 17, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Mexiklyn » Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:19 pm

The World Assembly Has Not prepare any issues to vote on! The Assembly Has a Duty That It Must Comply so Pass More Issues!

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011

Postby Separatist Peoples » Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:38 pm

Mexiklyn wrote:The World Assembly Has Not prepare any issues to vote on! The Assembly Has a Duty That It Must Comply so Pass More Issues!

No, it doesn't. The GA has nothing to do with daily issues. Nobody wants to write anything because there is an impending legality change regarding the rules. Capitalization is for the first letter in the sentence and any proper nouns.

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

Kaboomlandia
Negotiator

Founded: May 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kaboomlandia » Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:05 am

Separatist Peoples wrote:
Mexiklyn wrote:The World Assembly Has Not prepare any issues to vote on! The Assembly Has a Duty That It Must Comply so Pass More Issues!

No, it doesn't. The GA has nothing to do with daily issues. Nobody wants to write anything because there is an impending legality change regarding the rules. Capitalization is for the first letter in the sentence and any proper nouns.

I've been kind of out of the loop lately...what rule does this legality challenge cover? I'm writing something up at the moment.
In=character, Kaboomlandia is a World Assembly member and abides by its resolutions. If this nation isn't in the WA, it's for practical reasons.
Author of GA #371 and SC #208, #214, #226, #227, #230, #232
Co-Author of SC #204
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result."
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

"Your legitimacy, Kaboom, has melted away in my eyes. I couldn't have believed that only a shadow of your once brilliant WA career remains."

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:13 am

Kaboomlandia wrote:
Separatist Peoples wrote:No, it doesn't. The GA has nothing to do with daily issues. Nobody wants to write anything because there is an impending legality change regarding the rules. Capitalization is for the first letter in the sentence and any proper nouns.

I've been kind of out of the loop lately...what rule does this legality challenge cover? I'm writing something up at the moment.

Anything. Depends on the ultimate powers of the Secretariat's Council.

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!

Tzorsland
Diplomat

Founded: May 08, 2004
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Tzorsland » Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:43 am

OH that's nonsense. If I get the time, I'll have the Franciscans write up a proposal and throw it on the queue. Of course no one is going to approve it anyway.
"A spindizzy going sour makes the galaxy's most unnerving noise!"
"Cruise lightspeed smooth and slient with this years sleek NEW Dillon-Wagoner gravitron polarity generator."
AKA Retired WerePenguins Frustrated Franciscans Blue Booted Bobbies A Running Man Dirty Americans

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:51 am

Tzorsland wrote:OH that's nonsense. If I get the time, I'll have the Franciscans write up a proposal and throw it on the queue. Of course no one is going to approve it anyway.

Nobody said you couldn't do it. It just seems that its a major component of why nobody is moving forward with very much. That and October is the Time of the Midterm.

Gruenberg
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Gruenberg » Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:56 am

Separatist Peoples wrote:
Tzorsland wrote:OH that's nonsense. If I get the time, I'll have the Franciscans write up a proposal and throw it on the queue. Of course no one is going to approve it anyway.

Nobody said you couldn't do it. It just seems that its a major component of why nobody is moving forward with very much.

Agreed. For "a few months (at least)" it would seem very unwise to invest very much in a proposal.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly