NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Ban On Capital Punishment

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
United Massachusetts
Minister

Founded: Jan 17, 2016
Ex-Nation

[DRAFT] Ban On Capital Punishment

Postby United Massachusetts » Sat May 07, 2016 10:53 am

The World Assembly,
Recognizing the protection against cruel and unusual punishment as an important right of criminals,
Believing that any attempted killing of a criminal is a cruel punishment,
Noting that violence and murder to not justify more violence and murder by the state,
Contending that a sentence of death does no more good to society than a sentence to life in prison,
Sympathizing with the victims of heinous crimes and their desire for justice,
Understanding the killing of a person as an assault on justice rather than a promotion of it,
Understanding capital punishment as the killing of a criminal as a legal punishment for a crime,
Hereby:
1. Bans capital punishment in all World Assembly member states EXCEPT when all the following demands are met
a. The suspect has committed the murder of multiple people
b. The suspect has been convicted in the past of a felony
c. There is irrefutable evidence pointing to the suspect's guilt
d. It has been proven that all other measures have failed to prevent the escape of the criminal

2. Hopes that more member states will fully ban the procedure

Dooom35796821595
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 11, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby Dooom35796821595 » Sat May 07, 2016 10:59 am

We do not appreciate being told how to deal with our own criminals, and so we are opposed to this resolution.
When life gives you lemons, you BURN THEIR HOUSE DOWN!
Anything can be justified if it is cool. If at first you don't succeed, destroy all in your way.
"Your methods are stupid! Your progress has been stupid! Your intelligence is stupid! For the sake of the mission, you must be terminated!”

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Sat May 07, 2016 11:09 am

It's illegal for contradicting Convention on Execution.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Ryanvillle
Lobbyist

Founded: May 04, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Ryanvillle » Sat May 07, 2016 12:10 pm

I'm not a big fan of executions, but we shouldn't be interfering with countries' rights to run their prisons as they like.

Kryozerkia
Retired Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Kryozerkia » Sat May 07, 2016 12:57 pm

Imperium Anglorum wrote:It's illegal for contradicting Convention on Execution.

Link for convenience - Convention on Execution
Problem to Report?
Game-side: Getting Help
Forum-side: Moderation
Technical issue/suggestion: Technical
A-well-a, don't you know about the bird
♦ Well, everybody knows that the bird is the word ♦
♦ A-well-a, bird, bird, b-bird's the word

Get the cheese to Sickbay

"Ok folks, show's over... Nothing to see here... Show's OH MY GOD! A horrible plane crash! Hey everybody, get a load of this flaming wreckage! Come on, crowd around, crowd around, don't be shy, crowd around!" -- Chief Wiggum

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Sat May 07, 2016 1:38 pm

Kryozerkia wrote:
Imperium Anglorum wrote:It's illegal for contradicting Convention on Execution.

Link for convenience - Convention on Execution

Grants the right of member nations to allow the use of execution in accordance with the regulations of this act, with deference to active regulations in previously passed resolutions;
Was on phone. Now on laptop.
Last edited by Imperium Anglorum on Sat May 07, 2016 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Dreamstar
Civil Servant

Founded: May 02, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Dreamstar » Sun May 08, 2016 7:47 pm

Nope.

The Coalition of the Magical unicorns
Bureaucrat

Founded: Apr 13, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby The Coalition of the Magical unicorns » Mon May 09, 2016 5:20 am

Um, each nation can decide for itself how deal with it's criminals. I fail to see why the WA should interfere.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Mon May 09, 2016 6:33 am

The Coalition of the Magical unicorns wrote:Um, each nation can decide for itself how deal with it's criminals. I fail to see why the WA should interfere.

The WA already has interfered and said that if you give them a fair trial and execute them in a way that doesn't cause undue suffering, you're good to go.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

The Coalition of the Magical unicorns
Bureaucrat

Founded: Apr 13, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby The Coalition of the Magical unicorns » Mon May 09, 2016 7:40 am

Araraukar wrote:The WA already has interfered and said that if you give them a fair trial and execute them in a way that doesn't cause undue suffering, you're good to go.

I will pharse it in a better way. I fail to see why a resolution should be passed on *what* the punishment should be. Of course the criminal must be given a fair trial. I for myself don't mind executions, but I prefer them to be done quickly- But honestly, if a nation wants to decide that it want to give the criminal (this only in case there is no real doubt about him being guilty), I think that the WA shouldn't interfere.
Last edited by The Coalition of the Magical unicorns on Mon May 09, 2016 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Law Enforcers
Envoy

Founded: Jan 06, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Law Enforcers » Wed May 11, 2016 2:54 pm

Why should the WA be determining punishments for criminals in individual nations?

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011

Postby Separatist Peoples » Wed May 11, 2016 5:07 pm

The Coalition of the Magical unicorns wrote:I will pharse it in a better way. I fail to see why a resolution should be passed on *what* the punishment should be. Of course the criminal must be given a fair trial. I for myself don't mind executions, but I prefer them to be done quickly- But honestly, if a nation wants to decide that it want to give the criminal (this only in case there is no real doubt about him being guilty), I think that the WA shouldn't interfere.

"The state's monopoly on violence is one tool through which order is kept. The use of violence which is especially painful and especially final can be used as a tool of oppression. As the World Assembly has a vested interest in limiting tools of oppression, it has an interest in regulating the degree of violence used to exert order."

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

Confederate provinces of the colonies
Political Columnist

Founded: May 11, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Confederate provinces of the colonies » Wed May 11, 2016 6:16 pm

i totally agree with your proposal, i just submitted one myself.

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Grays Harbor » Wed May 11, 2016 6:19 pm

Illegal for contradiction. Here is why.

World Assembly Resolution #112
Postby Imperium Anglorum » Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:01 pm

Convention on Execution
A resolution to improve worldwide human and civil rights.

Category: Human Rights
Strength: Strong
Proposed by: Glen-Rhodes

Description: Understanding the signficiant moral and ethical challenges of capital punishment,

Acknowledging that the extremes of both ends of the debate cannot be fairly applied across the entire World Assembly,

Wishing to uphold the sovereignty of this facet of national penal law, but to also prevent unconscionable use of capital punishment,

The World Assembly hereby

1. Defines for the purpose of this resolution:
a. “Execution” as the lawfully sponsored and orchestrated death of an individual as their punishment for committing a crime;
b. “Summary execution” as the execution of an individual without a trial as stipulated by this resolution;
c. “Extrajudicial execution” as the act of extraditing an individual to or otherwise placing an individual into the custody of a non-member nation, with the intent of allowing that nation to execute that individual outside of the regulations of this resolution;

2. Grants the right of member nations to allow the use of execution in accordance with the regulations of this act, with deference to active regulations in previously passed resolutions;

3. Establishes exceptions to article 2 for the following persons:
a. Those who are pregnant,
b. Those who lack the mental capacity needed to understand the wrongfulness of their crime, or to conform their behavior to the law,
c. Children and those with equivalent mental capacity;

4. Requires that a trial in which execution is a possible punishment be separated into two parts, wherein the first part determines guilt or innocence and the second part decides the applicability and merits of an execution;

5. Prohibits the use of summary execution and extrajudicial execution, and requires that a fair and equitable route of seeking monetary compensation and justice for the family of victims of such executions be devised by each member nation;

6. Encourages any nation that has legalized execution to restrict its use to the most extreme cases and to provide a route for seeking commutation or pardon;

7. Declares that this resolution shall not be construed to deny additional regulations on execution, where seen necessary and proper by the World Assembly to prevent miscarriages of justice.

Co-authored by Unibot.
Last edited by Grays Harbor on Wed May 11, 2016 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Everything you know about me is wrong. Or a rumor. Something like that.

Not Ta'veren

Noveau-Nordicia
Political Columnist

Founded: May 14, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Noveau-Nordicia » Sat May 14, 2016 12:35 pm

I don't appreciate being told how to run my country m8

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011

Postby Separatist Peoples » Sat May 14, 2016 5:26 pm

Noveau-Nordicia wrote:I don't appreciate being told how to run my country m8

"Then you may want to reconsider WA membership. That's rather what we do here."

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

Marxlenia
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jul 25, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Marxlenia » Sun May 15, 2016 7:17 pm

Marxlenia refuses to acknowledge a resolution that would render the accruement of capital legal. We find the proposal preposterous and incompatible with realizing the world communist dream.

Papa Bless
Last edited by Marxlenia on Sun May 15, 2016 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kaboomlandia
Negotiator

Founded: May 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kaboomlandia » Sun May 15, 2016 9:56 pm

Marxlenia wrote:Marxlenia refuses to acknowledge a resolution that would render the accruement of capital legal. We find the proposal preposterous and incompatible with realizing the world communist dream.

Papa Bless

OOC: Whaaaa?
In=character, Kaboomlandia is a World Assembly member and abides by its resolutions. If this nation isn't in the WA, it's for practical reasons.
Author of GA #371 and SC #208, #214, #226, #227, #230, #232
Co-Author of SC #204
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result."
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

"Your legitimacy, Kaboom, has melted away in my eyes. I couldn't have believed that only a shadow of your once brilliant WA career remains."

Varlindar
Civilian

Founded: May 14, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Varlindar » Sun May 15, 2016 10:32 pm

As stated by many people in this thread, it should be up to the nations, suggestions such a law will be overthrowing many nation's right to deal with criminals in their own way.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly