NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] Preventing Animal Abuse

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:14 am

Tinfect wrote:"The plight of non-sapients is of no concern to the Imperium."

"Ur'rmm, where exactly in the draft's text does it say that the proposal only applies to non-sapient animals, rather than to sapient ones as well?"
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:19 am

"Ur'rmm, where exactly in the draft's text does it say that the proposal only applies to non-sapient animals, rather than to sapient ones as well?"

Losthaven wrote:Hunting is already regulated by other laws.

"And those only urge member nations to ban 'unnecessarily cruel' hunting methods, so you have a contradiction here..."
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Losthaven
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Dec 31, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Losthaven » Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:05 pm

Bears Armed wrote:

Losthaven wrote:Hunting is already regulated by other laws.

"And those only urge member nations to ban 'unnecessarily cruel' hunting methods, so you have a contradiction here..."

We had this conversation back in the first proposal on this subject. You suggested I include the disclaimer that this law is "subject to the rules and laws set by earlier WA resolutions that are still in force" and that that would clear up any apparent conflict with your hunting law. I agreed and that language remains in the present draft.
Once a great nation, a true superpower; now just watching the world go by

Losthaven
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Losthaven » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:19 am

Pre-test run bump
Last edited by Losthaven on Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:10 am

Losthaven wrote:Recognizing that animals are sentient beings capable of experiencing stress, fear, and pain;

Make that non-sapient instead. Otherwise you're looking at a lot of duplication claims.
Last edited by Araraukar on Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Losthaven
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Losthaven » Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:27 am

Araraukar wrote:
Losthaven wrote:Recognizing that animals are sentient beings capable of experiencing stress, fear, and pain;

Make that non-sapient instead. Otherwise you're looking at a lot of duplication claims.

Doesn't "sentient" just mean "able to feel". I'm certainly not suggesting that animals are sapient.

Bananaistan
Senator

Founded: Apr 20, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bananaistan » Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:30 am

I'm no fan of species wanking but my dictionary says that humans are animals, so it would appear that clause 3 has banned sports such as boxing between consenting sapient animals, and indeed, all the clauses apply to all animals, including humans.

Furthermore, why is everyone insistent on military exemptions?

Edit: I'll add my official IC opinion:

"The People's Republic of Bananaistan does not see the treatment of non-human animals as a matter worthy of international concern and, while generally the terms of the proposal are already law in Bananaistan, we will be unable to support codify such matters in international law."

- Mrs Ambassador Mary CP Doe
Last edited by Bananaistan on Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
Delegation of the People's Republic of Bananaistan to the World Assembly
Head of delegation and the Permanent Representative: Comrade Ambassador Theodorus "Ted" Hornwood
General Assistant and Head of Security: Comrade Watchman Brian of Tarth
There was the Pope and John F. Kennedy and Jack Charlton and the three of them were staring me in the face.
Ideological Bulwark #281
THIS

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:15 pm

Losthaven wrote:Doesn't "sentient" just mean "able to feel". I'm certainly not suggesting that animals are sapient.

OOC: Yeah, but like others have said, humans are animals that are sentient and sapient. By saying "non-sapient", you eliminate that problem. If you made it read "Recognizing that animals are non-sapient, living beings capable of experiencing stress, fear, and pain;" it should be kosher.

If an artificial non-sapient thing was able to feel stress, fear and pain, then yeah, it probably should be classed as an animal and treated as such. (And I won't even bring PPU in to point out that non-sapient plants count as sentient, because I feel the word "animal" shouldn't have to be separately defined. :P)
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Losthaven
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Losthaven » Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:56 pm

Araraukar wrote:
Losthaven wrote:Doesn't "sentient" just mean "able to feel". I'm certainly not suggesting that animals are sapient.

OOC: Yeah, but like others have said, humans are animals that are sentient and sapient. By saying "non-sapient", you eliminate that problem. If you made it read "Recognizing that animals are non-sapient, living beings capable of experiencing stress, fear, and pain;" it should be kosher.

If an artificial non-sapient thing was able to feel stress, fear and pain, then yeah, it probably should be classed as an animal and treated as such. (And I won't even bring PPU in to point out that non-sapient plants count as sentient, because I feel the word "animal" shouldn't have to be separately defined. :P)

Good call you two. I'll make this change.

Law Enforcers
Envoy

Founded: Jan 06, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Law Enforcers » Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:44 pm

Something needs to be added to take into account animal testing.

Liagolas
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Dec 18, 2015
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Liagolas » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:37 pm

Law Enforcers wrote:Something needs to be added to take into account animal testing.

"Unless you're scientists are unbalanced or improperly screened, it is the belief of the Dominion that animal testing would not be considered 'cruel' or 'malicious,' and it is the understanding of the Dominion that this resolution only prohibits cruel and malicious injury to an animal," the hooded Mouth of the Dominion to the World Assembly says. "Nonetheless, the Dominion is not yet entirely convinced that this ought to be made a matter of international concern. Why should this not be left to member nations to legislate upon, especially since this regards the rights of non-sapient beings?"
The Place Without a PeopleThe Dominion, brieflyThe Liagolas (leader) • MT. The dystopia pretending to be a hivemind. • When NS stats make your nation look freer than it's meant to be. • Security Council: *dips toe into roleplaying* General Assembly: *slaps SC*
In insisting it's a political simulation, NS ignores its reality as a political simulation game. Games have boundaries, and modern roleplaying games have safety tools. NS has neither, leaving it stuck as a badge-collecting pay-to-win where causticness is excused as "character," griefing/raiding is "just politics," and F7 is more courteous than General Assembly.

Losthaven
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Losthaven » Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:05 am

Bananaistan wrote:I'm no fan of species wanking but my dictionary says that humans are animals, so it would appear that clause 3 has banned sports such as boxing between consenting sapient animals, and indeed, all the clauses apply to all animals, including humans.

Araraukar wrote:OOC: Yeah, but like others have said, humans are animals that are sentient and sapient. By saying "non-sapient", you eliminate that problem. If you made it read "Recognizing that animals are non-sapient, living beings capable of experiencing stress, fear, and pain;" it should be kosher.

This change was made! Thanks to those who recognized this problem and suggested a good fix!
Liagolas wrote:
Law Enforcers wrote:Something needs to be added to take into account animal testing.

"Unless you're scientists are unbalanced or improperly screened, it is the belief of the Dominion that animal testing would not be considered 'cruel' or 'malicious,' and it is the understanding of the Dominion that this resolution only prohibits cruel and malicious injury to an animal," the hooded Mouth of the Dominion to the World Assembly says. "Nonetheless, the Dominion is not yet entirely convinced that this ought to be made a matter of international concern. Why should this not be left to member nations to legislate upon, especially since this regards the rights of non-sapient beings?"

Correct. My last go around with this I tried the "exceptions for everything" route and it didn't work out so well. Because most of those exceptions came down to "yeah, but what if there's a legitimate reason to do such and such to an animal" I've addressed the overarching issue by focusing on the actor's intent. So animal testing is fine under this law so long as you're not cruelly or maliciously harming the animal. I don't imagine any legitimate researchers out there are maliciously harming animals in the name of science. In fact, most animal testing groups go out of their way to minimize pain and suffering in animals whenever possible while still accomplishing the aims of their research.

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:43 am

Bananaistan wrote:"The People's Republic of Bananaistan does not see the treatment of non-human animals as a matter worthy of international concern and, while generally the terms of the proposal are already law in Bananaistan, we will be unable to support codify such matters in international law."

Parsons concurs with their eloquent remarks.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Liagolas
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Dec 18, 2015
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Liagolas » Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:47 am

"It is the inclination of the Dominion to agree with those ambassadors who have said that this subject does not warrant international legislation," the Mouth says. "Why should the people of Losthaven care what happens to animals in the Dominion or in Bananistan or Imperium Anglorum or anywhere else?"
The Place Without a PeopleThe Dominion, brieflyThe Liagolas (leader) • MT. The dystopia pretending to be a hivemind. • When NS stats make your nation look freer than it's meant to be. • Security Council: *dips toe into roleplaying* General Assembly: *slaps SC*
In insisting it's a political simulation, NS ignores its reality as a political simulation game. Games have boundaries, and modern roleplaying games have safety tools. NS has neither, leaving it stuck as a badge-collecting pay-to-win where causticness is excused as "character," griefing/raiding is "just politics," and F7 is more courteous than General Assembly.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:08 am

Liagolas wrote:"It is the inclination of the Dominion to agree with those ambassadors who have said that this subject does not warrant international legislation," the Mouth says. "Why should the people of Losthaven care what happens to animals in the Dominion or in Bananistan or Imperium Anglorum or anywhere else?"

The author probably feels that while animals are non-sapient, they are still sentient, and that being cruel to sentient beings is, or should be, considered morally wrong. Especially considering the category.

Mind you, I don't necessarily agree with it being morally wrong, but rather it being pointless behaviour, because it only teaches sentient creatures as defined in the proposal to fear the sapient being(s) that hurt it. For sapient beings fear can be used effectively to teach desired behaviour models, but this is not always, or even very often, the same case when it comes to merely sentient creatures. Especially not if you want to teach them something, rather than just scare them away.

...although now I'm wondering if hurting them to scare them away would count as "intentional cruelty", or just as "necessary evil"?

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:11 am

A lot of things, Aru, are intentional cruelty. A lot of others are also a necessary evil. Conscription. Taxes. Eminent domain. The greater good is pursued and is sought without recognition to the means. And this world is still better than the alternative.

Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:19 pm

Imperium Anglorum wrote:A lot of things, Aru, are intentional cruelty. A lot of others are also a necessary evil. Conscription. Taxes. Eminent domain. The greater good is pursued and is sought without recognition to the means. And this world is still better than the alternative.

OOC: Was that directed at me?

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:56 pm

Araraukar wrote:
Imperium Anglorum wrote:A lot of things, Aru, are intentional cruelty. A lot of others are also a necessary evil. Conscription. Taxes. Eminent domain. The greater good is pursued and is sought without recognition to the means. And this world is still better than the alternative.

OOC: Was that directed at me?

Yea, should have been Ara.

Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011

Postby Separatist Peoples » Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:01 pm

OOC: Claiming "for the greater good" as a defense without consideration for the impact that mindset actually has is a pretty shameful thing to do. You could as easily tuck eugenics and systemic oppression into that particular weltumblick, but you're going to have a hell of a hard time selling that to anybody with a moral compass.

Just because something is considered a necessary evil doesn't mean we shouldn't take steps to reducing the necessity of that evil, or at least reconsider how necessary it really is. Either way, it hardly follows that deliberate and malicious cruelty to animals is a necessity.

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:05 pm

Imperium Anglorum wrote:
Araraukar wrote:OOC: Was that directed at me?

Yea, should have been Ara.

OOC: So was it OOC or IC? Because calling me by nation name is/should be OOC.

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Sun May 01, 2016 12:05 am

Araraukar wrote:
Imperium Anglorum wrote:Yea, should have been Ara.

OOC: So was it OOC or IC? Because calling me by nation name is/should be OOC.

Yes.

Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley

Wallenburg
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 30, 2015
Democratic Socialists

Postby Wallenburg » Sun May 01, 2016 12:07 am

Imperium Anglorum wrote:
Araraukar wrote:OOC: So was it OOC or IC? Because calling me by nation name is/should be OOC.

Yes.

> Was it this or that?
> Yes.
> ...
While she had no regrets about throwing the lever to douse her husband's mistress in molten gold, Blanche did feel a pang of conscience for the innocent bystanders whose proximity had caused them to suffer gilt by association.

King of Snark, Real Piece of Work, Metabolizer of Oxygen, Old Man from The East Pacific, by the Malevolence of Her Infinite Terribleness Catherine Gratwick the Sole and True Claimant to the Bears Armed Vacancy, Protector of the Realm

Tinfect
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 04, 2014
Democratic Socialists

Postby Tinfect » Sun May 01, 2016 12:37 am

Wallenburg wrote:
Imperium Anglorum wrote:Yes.

> Was it this or that?
> Yes.
> ...

Yes.
Raslin Seretis, Imperial Diplomatic Envoy, He/Him
Tolarn Feren, Civil Oversight Representative, He/Him
Jasot Rehlan, Military Oversight Representative, She/Her

Bisexual, Transgender (She/Her), Native-American, and Actual CommunistTM.

Imperium Central News Network: EMERGENCY ALERT: ALL CITIZENS ARE TO PROCEED TO EVACUATION SITES IMMEDIATELY | EMERGENCY ALERT: ALL FURTHER SUBSPACE SIGNALS AND SYSTEMS ARE TO BE DISABLED IMMEDIATELY | EMERGENCY ALERT: THE FOLLOWING SYSTEMS ARE ACCESS PROHIBITED BY STANDARD/BLACKOUT [Error: Format Unrecognized] | Indomitable Bastard #283
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Herby
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 13, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Herby » Sun May 01, 2016 12:39 am

Not all animals are sentient.
-- Ambassador #53. From the nation of Herby. But you can call me Herby.

Herby's doors and windows are ALWAYS locked when she's in the Strangers' Bar (unless she unlocks them for you). And, she has no accelerator, a mock steering wheel, and no gear shifter. So, no joyrides.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Sun May 01, 2016 7:52 am

Wallenburg wrote:
Imperium Anglorum wrote:Yes.

> Was it this or that?
> Yes.
> ...

OOC: *points a finger at IA* Vorlon!

And I never argued that necessary evil wasn't necessary (though I disagree with conscription being any more "evil" than any other type of army :P), I was just wondering if the proposal text didn't actually just prove that. "Intentional cruelty for cruelty's sake" is not a "necessary evil".

Herby wrote:Not all animals are sentient.

OOC: Name one.
Last edited by Araraukar on Sun May 01, 2016 7:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives