NATION

PASSWORD

[DEFEATED] Mercantile Prizes of War

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Dharmascus the Great
Lobbyist

Founded: Oct 14, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Dharmascus the Great » Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:04 pm

Whovian Tardisia wrote:This legislation would apply to privateers, but not pirates then. That makes sense.

It was brought up earlier that some nations may become elements of chaos by using a loophole in this clause:

Member states are allowed to seize mercantile prizes belonging to belligerents if, and only if, hostilities have already commenced prior to the mercantile prize being seized.

The loophole being that, due to wording, the nation seizing the mercantile prize does not necessarily have to be fighting the belligerent, the belligerent simply has to exist. Perhaps changing "belligerents" to "enemy belligerents" would close this loophole.

Maybe 'hostile belligerent' would work better.

Whovian Tardisia
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 25, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Whovian Tardisia » Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:28 pm

Dharmascus the Great wrote:Maybe 'hostile belligerent' would work better.

All belligerents are hostile, as they are shooting guns at things.
An FT (Class W11) nation capable of space travel, but has never attempted invading another planet. The Space Brigade is for defense only! Also, something happened to Ambassador Pink.
From the desk of Rupert Pink:
The Grand Gallifreyan Republic of Whovian Tardisia
Floor 12, Office 42 of WAHQ
Proud patron of the World Assembly Stranger's Bar.
The Interstellar Cartographers are back! This time, they explore Methuselah.

Excidium Planetis
Powerbroker

Founded: May 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Excidium Planetis » Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:16 pm

Separatist Peoples wrote:Applauding the World Assembly for its constant improvements on wartime legislation,

"What an egotistical preamble." Schultz says.

"Anyways, I find this resolution quite agreeable in every way, and would very much like to see it passed, however... Doesn't this contradict your own resolution, "Wartime Looting and Pillage", Ambassador Bell? After all, the seizure of nonessentials from civilians is banned, yet this proposal seems to allow the seizure of goods from civilian merchant ships as long as they belong to a nation you are at war with. I would like some clarification on this."
Current Ambassador: Adelia Meritt
Ex-Ambassador: Cornelia Schultz, author of GA#355 and GA#368.
#MakeLegislationFunnyAgain
Singaporean Transhumans wrote:You didn't know about Excidium? The greatest space nomads in the NS multiverse with a healthy dose (read: over 9000 percent) of realism?
Saveyou Island wrote:"Warmest welcomes to the Assembly, ambassador. You'll soon learn to hate everyone here."
Imperium Anglorum wrote:Digital Network Defence is pretty meh
Tier 9 nation, according to my index.Made of nomadic fleets.

News: AI wins Dawn Fleet election for High Counselor.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Separatist Peoples » Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:26 am

Excidium Planetis wrote:
Separatist Peoples wrote:Applauding the World Assembly for its constant improvements on wartime legislation,

"What an egotistical preamble." Schultz says.

"Anyways, I find this resolution quite agreeable in every way, and would very much like to see it passed, however... Doesn't this contradict your own resolution, "Wartime Looting and Pillage", Ambassador Bell? After all, the seizure of nonessentials from civilians is banned, yet this proposal seems to allow the seizure of goods from civilian merchant ships as long as they belong to a nation you are at war with. I would like some clarification on this."

"This doesn't deal with personal property, as WLP does. It deals with commercial property, an altogether grayer area. I'm just trying to pare down that grey area.

"And self-satisfying preambles are in vogue right now. Hadn't you heard? They're the new numbered clauses."

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

Sciongrad
Minister

Founded: Mar 11, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Sciongrad » Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:33 pm

Separatist Peoples wrote:"And self-satisfying preambles are in vogue right now. Hadn't you heard? They're the new numbered clauses."

"Ey rapaz, didn't your mother teach you manners. You say 'this new style, que legal,' you say 'numbered clauses are so old, they're out of vogue.' I ask you: why do you disrespect me like this? What did I do to deserve this treatment? When I was a menina, my grandmother, she would write international legislation by cutting the head off of a chicken. It would run around in the coop, hitting the walls, bumping into other chickens. When it finally died, she would inspect the ground, copy the marks the hen left in its frantic death dance on to paper, and submit it without any modifications. Now, I never said 'avó, your style is so outdated.' I never said 'avó, perhaps try writing this using coherent language.' The thought never crossed my mind because my mother taught me respect." Natalia removes her shoe and approaches ambassador Bell. "Now come here, you delinquent. I will teach you respect too."
Last edited by Sciongrad on Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Natalia Santos, Plenipotentiary and Permanent Scionite Representative to the World Assembly

Ideological Bulwark #271

Excidium Planetis
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Excidium Planetis » Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:38 pm

Separatist Peoples wrote:
Excidium Planetis wrote:"What an egotistical preamble." Schultz says.

"This doesn't deal with personal property, as WLP does. It deals with commercial property, an altogether grayer area. I'm just trying to pare down that grey area.

"And self-satisfying preambles are in vogue right now. Hadn't you heard? They're the new numbered clauses."

"YOU MEAN WE COULD HAVE BEEN LOOTING COMMERCIAL PROPERTY THIS WHOLE TIME!?" Schultz says, frantically writing a message to her superiors. "We've just been moping about how we can only steal essential supplies from the primitive civilizations we attack!"

This may have a significant effect on the Excidian economy in a few months.
Last edited by Excidium Planetis on Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Singaporean Transhumans wrote:You didn't know about Excidium? The greatest space nomads in the NS multiverse with a healthy dose (read: over 9000 percent) of realism?
Saveyou Island wrote:"Warmest welcomes to the Assembly, ambassador. You'll soon learn to hate everyone here."

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:23 pm

Sciongrad wrote:
Separatist Peoples wrote:"And self-satisfying preambles are in vogue right now. Hadn't you heard? They're the new numbered clauses."

"Ey rapaz, didn't your mother teach you manners. You say 'this new style, que legal,' you say 'numbered clauses are so old, they're out of vogue.' I ask you: why do you disrespect me like this? What did I do to deserve this treatment? When I was a menina, my grandmother, she would write international legislation by cutting the head off of a chicken. It would run around in the coop, hitting the walls, bumping into other chickens. When it finally died, she would inspect the ground, copy the marks the hen left in its frantic death dance on to paper, and submit it without any modifications. Now, I never said 'avó, your style is so outdated.' I never said 'avó, perhaps try writing this using coherent language.' The thought never crossed my mind because my mother taught me respect." Natalia removes her shoe and approaches ambassador Bell. "Now come here, you delinquent. I will teach you respect too."

Bell visibly shrinks in his seat, "Okay, okay, I take it back! I'll do the chicken thing, just put that shoe back on! Ricardio, help!!"

He throws his lunch money at the advancing diplomat to appease her.

Excidium Planetis wrote:
"YOU MEAN WE COULD HAVE BEEN LOOTING COMMERCIAL PROPERTY THIS WHOLE TIME!?" Schultz says, frantically writing a message to her superiors. "We've just been moping about how we can only steal essential supplies from the primitive civilizations we attack!"

This may have a significant effect on the Excidian economy in a few months.

"Ahem, um...I don't know about that, but I believe there is sufficient grey area when it comes to goods not discretely owned by a specific individual, as is often the case in large businesses, that clarification in this case is not sufficient duplication as to be an issue. Especially considering the comparatively narrow parameters."
Last edited by Separatist Peoples on Wed May 18, 2016 11:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Wed May 18, 2016 11:53 am

OOC: Updated the text.

IPCD
Bureaucrat

Founded: May 08, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby IPCD » Wed May 18, 2016 2:17 pm

Separatist Peoples wrote:3. Member states must offer belligerent mercantile prizes that have lawfully enterd their territory prior to the outbreak of hostilities leave to return to friendly or neutral territory before capture. Upon entering friendly or neutral territory, or upon failing to comply, mercantile prizes are no longer afforded this protection.

The delegation of IPCD, itself being very concerned with maritime law, notes that a military vessel could simply follow a mercantile prize into neutral water and seize it the moment it crosses into said waters. We believe it should be amended to entering friendly territory as to avoid such circumventions of the spirit of the clause.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Wed May 18, 2016 3:40 pm

IPCD wrote:
Separatist Peoples wrote:3. Member states must offer belligerent mercantile prizes that have lawfully enterd their territory prior to the outbreak of hostilities leave to return to friendly or neutral territory before capture. Upon entering friendly or neutral territory, or upon failing to comply, mercantile prizes are no longer afforded this protection.

The delegation of IPCD, itself being very concerned with maritime law, notes that a military vessel could simply follow a mercantile prize into neutral water and seize it the moment it crosses into said waters. We believe it should be amended to entering friendly territory as to avoid such circumventions of the spirit of the clause.

"A very fair point, but military trespass into neutral territory is generally considered a hostile act in violation of Rights of Neutral States. For clarity, however, I will make sure this specifies territory of a neutral nation and not international waters."

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Sat May 21, 2016 1:11 pm

OOC: Edited. Please note the last clause, which specifically allows interning or detention of ships without taking the vessel or cargo as a prize. This should solve the issue that IA and I were having at the start, where, I believe there was a misunderstanding on the distinction between seizing a craft as a prize and detaining it.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Sun May 29, 2016 5:41 am

OOC: bump. Silence is acceptance, people.

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Sun May 29, 2016 11:36 am

Separatist Peoples wrote:OOC: bump. Silence is acceptance, people.

Two concerns. The first one is about parallel construction, namely, in the list form, there isn't any. The second one is about this clause:

5. Member states may not consider the crew of such a vessel to be themselves prizes of war. Such crews are entitled to the same rights and protections as Prisoners of War upon their capture or surrender, as defined by international law.

Really, the question is simply: why should civilian merchants be considered prisoners of war? And, more importantly, are the crew prisoners of war? This is unclear in the proposal.
Last edited by Imperium Anglorum on Sun May 29, 2016 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Excidium Planetis
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Excidium Planetis » Mon May 30, 2016 11:32 am

Imperium Anglorum wrote:The second one is about this clause:

5. Member states may not consider the crew of such a vessel to be themselves prizes of war. Such crews are entitled to the same rights and protections as Prisoners of War upon their capture or surrender, as defined by international law.

Really, the question is simply: why should civilian merchants be considered prisoners of war? And, more importantly, are the crew prisoners of war? This is unclear in the proposal.

"I'm mainly concerned that, and I don't believe this is the first time you have done so, Ambassador Bell, you are creating a house of cards with these war resolutions. Not in the sense that they are illegal for requiring prior resolutions to function, but because they rely on your earlier resolutions for specific functions. Like here, where the crew of mercantile vessels are afforded the rights of POWs as defined by international law. But if the relevant resolution is repealed, that leaves the crew with no rights or protections."

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Mon May 30, 2016 12:48 pm

OOC: IA, I'll address your issue when I have a computer in front of me.

EP: the alternative is to rewrite the POW Accord every time. That's just not going to work. If POW Accord is ever repealed, a replacement will invariably use the term POW, and bases will be covered again.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Tue May 31, 2016 10:22 am

Separatist Peoples wrote:OOC: EP: the alternative is to rewrite the POW Accord every time. That's just not going to work. If POW Accord is ever repealed, a replacement will invariably use the term POW, and bases will be covered again.

OOC: And even if there's no replacement, reasonable nations would have some sort of international agreement on POWs. It just might not be a WA-wide agreement.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Excidium Planetis
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Excidium Planetis » Tue May 31, 2016 10:27 am

Araraukar wrote:
Separatist Peoples wrote:OOC: EP: the alternative is to rewrite the POW Accord every time. That's just not going to work. If POW Accord is ever repealed, a replacement will invariably use the term POW, and bases will be covered again.

OOC: And even if there's no replacement, reasonable nations would have some sort of international agreement on POWs. It just might not be a WA-wide agreement.

You'd be surprised by the lack of international law in the FT community.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Tue May 31, 2016 10:49 am

Excidium Planetis wrote:
Araraukar wrote:OOC: And even if there's no replacement, reasonable nations would have some sort of international agreement on POWs. It just might not be a WA-wide agreement.

You'd be surprised by the lack of international law in the FT community.

OOC: can't speak to that, but it's unlikely to be an issue in the GA, divorced as we are from II. I wish more roleplayers observed GA law. I would love to RP as a WA entity concurrent with an II or NS conflict.

Sierra Lyricalia
Senator

Founded: Nov 29, 2008
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Sierra Lyricalia » Tue May 31, 2016 12:33 pm

Excidium Planetis wrote:You'd be surprised by the lack of international law in the FT community.

OOC: can't speak to that, but it's unlikely to be an issue in the GA, divorced as we are from II. I wish more roleplayers observed GA law. I would love to RP as a WA entity concurrent with an II or NS conflict.

Off topic, but... I have some background stuff sitting around that's relevant to that MT humanitarian naval task force thing. Nothing major as measured by the scale I understand some of these things can get to, but more than one could safely sneeze at.

IC: "This looks good. The end of Paragraph 4 needs a tweak - say, '...may detain them for return to the nation of origin...' Also, Paragraph 6 needs a small change - perhaps try 'Member states shall consider actions or orders contrary to these provisions to be unlawful and a war crime...'"

"Oh, and Paragraph 1 doesn't need the word 'through.' And Paragraph 2 needs 'prior to the mercantile prize being seized.' And 7: 'it's' -> 'its.'"

"Other than that, we believe this is ready."

OOC: sorry for the shitty structure of that, I'm on my phone.
Principal-Agent, Anarchy; Squadron Admiral [fmr], The Red Fleet
The Semi-Honorable Leonid Berkman Pavonis
Author: 354 GA / Issues 436, 451, 724
Ambassador Pro Tem
Tech Level: Complicated (or not: 7/0/6 i.e. 12) / RP Details
Jerk, Ideological Deviant, Roach, MT Army stooge, & "red [who] do[es]n't read" (various)
Illustrious Bum #279

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Tue May 31, 2016 1:11 pm

Imperium Anglorum wrote:

"The POW Accord makes a determination between civilian internees, military internees, and prisoners of war. However, the rights and protections associated with them are functionally identical. The only difference is that Prisoners of War may be compelled to perform non-essential labor, while civilian internees cannot. However, as ambassador Schultz has pointed out, these resolutions necessarily build off of each other. My rejoinder was simply that, without repeating the relevant sections of the POW Accord at every step, such reliance was necessary. The advantages outweigh the disadvantages: It cuts down on character count, the POW Accord is not a very tempting target to repeal, and a replacement will almost certainly use the term Prisoner of War. Even if it is repealed, a follow-up will fill the gap appropriately.

"Unfortunately, the same cannot be said for the term "civilian internee", which places me in the position of making a call: subject captured crew to legal compelled labor, or run the risk of having them excluded entirely as a result of an otherwise reasonable oversight. In the interest of preserving lives, I opted for the former.

"One could potentially argue that my wording of appending the rights and protections but not necessarily the duties would prevent this, and I admit, that was part of my intention with that particular wording, but I'll freely admit that its a tenuous argument to make. Its much more likely that nations that capture commercial ships, aircraft, spacecraft, or vehicles will choose not to consider that particular nuance. Though, I suppose if I tuck a note in there regarding the crews as not lawful belligerents (as opposed to unlawful belligerents), this would be less a concern. I would, of course, appreciate input on that."

Sierra Lyricalia wrote:Off topic, but... I have some background stuff sitting around that's relevant to that MT humanitarian naval task force thing. Nothing major as measured by the scale I understand some of these things can get to, but more than one could safely sneeze at.

OOC: That would have been fun, but then life precluded such an endeavor on my end. :(

IC: "This looks good. The end of Paragraph 4 needs a tweak - say, '...may detain them for return to the nation of origin...' Also, Paragraph 6 needs a small change - perhaps try 'Member states shall consider actions or orders contrary to these provisions to be unlawful and a war crime...'"

"Oh, and Paragraph 1 doesn't need the word 'through.' And Paragraph 2 needs 'prior to the mercantile prize being seized.' And 7: 'it's' -> 'its.'"

"Other than that, we believe this is ready."

OOC: sorry for the shitty structure of that, I'm on my phone.

"Thank you for the observations. I'll dig out my red pen and fix it. Nobody will mind some red scribbles on the final copy, will they? No? Good."
Last edited by Separatist Peoples on Tue May 31, 2016 1:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Excidium Planetis
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Excidium Planetis » Tue May 31, 2016 5:23 pm

Excidium Planetis wrote:You'd be surprised by the lack of international law in the FT community.

OOC: can't speak to that, but it's unlikely to be an issue in the GA, divorced as we are from II. I wish more roleplayers observed GA law.

I think that is directly related to the lack of international law. FT nations seem to be opposed to any kind of international law more than MT nations. Combine that with a common misconception that the WA is an Earth-centric thing, and very few FT nations I've seen roleplay with the GA.

I would love to RP as a WA entity concurrent with an II or NS conflict.

Because the WA is in Excidian canon, references to the GA have been fairly frequent in my roleplays. Mostly discussions with Tinfect, who also acknowledges the GA in RP.

Tinfect
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 04, 2014
Democratic Socialists

Postby Tinfect » Tue May 31, 2016 6:07 pm

Excidium Planetis wrote:I think that is directly related to the lack of international law. FT nations seem to be opposed to any kind of international law more than MT nations. Combine that with a common misconception that the WA is an Earth-centric thing, and very few FT nations I've seen roleplay with the GA.

OOC:
For the record, this is at least partially because FT, while theoretically better set-up for International contact between vastly disparate civilizations than MT's prevailing 'International Waters' idea, many FT Rpers have very different Canons, often relating to the origin of the FT Nations in question.

For example, Excidium Planetis has in their history, that they abandoned Earth due to a horrible cataclysm, or somesuch. Due to this, any RPs that involve Earth, or other Humans, are generally a bit difficult to work with. This assumes not using fractal earth theory, but frankly, I've always found that one a bit silly. The Imperium of Tinfect gets around this by simply not being on Earth, and not having any contact with Earth-Based Civs. In this sense, Tinfect could actually fit into Excidium Planetis' canon.

Which brings up another point, closed-canons. While this may not seem necessary, seeing as how space is actually quite large, certain conditions can necessitate this, notably, if you happen to know/be one of those supermassive galactic empire types, where it is more or less impossible to work with FT Prime. It can also come up, if you aren't the sort that wants RPs to be crashed by people that deploy hundreds of 200 kilometer superdreadnoughts to every single engagement, or if you want exactly that to happen, as that is a thing, for some reason.

Basically, due to the scale on which they operate, FT-Canon is a clusterfuck of epic proportions, and most people resort to Multiverse theory to keep the nonsense away. Of course, this created the -verse wankers, but lets move past them lest they discover us. Anyway, due to this, the fairly low numbers of FT Roleplayers, the even lower numbers of decent FT Rpers, nations that really should be on the absolute ass-end of what is even slightly acceptable, like the Imperium, with all its Subspace Handwavium, Powered Armour Spam, and full planet-cracking, end up with nations like Excdium Planetis, with their somewhat unique premise, tech that is practically PMT if you squint at it, and reasonable ship design, for the most part.

All of that, means that no-one could agree on what International Laws should constitute, or they don't see why/how anyone would follow/enforce them, or they don't see why/how they would follow/enforce them, or why anyone should even bother in the first place. The most you get is organizations like the GESO (Galactic Economic and Security Organization), which, for the most part, are all quite similar, and are usually treated as RP groups more than anything else.
Raslin Seretis, Imperial Diplomatic Envoy, He/Him
Tolarn Feren, Civil Oversight Representative, He/Him
Jasot Rehlan, Military Oversight Representative, She/Her

Bisexual, Transgender (She/Her), Native-American, and Actual CommunistTM.

Imperium Central News Network: EMERGENCY ALERT: ALL CITIZENS ARE TO PROCEED TO EVACUATION SITES IMMEDIATELY | EMERGENCY ALERT: ALL FURTHER SUBSPACE SIGNALS AND SYSTEMS ARE TO BE DISABLED IMMEDIATELY | EMERGENCY ALERT: THE FOLLOWING SYSTEMS ARE ACCESS PROHIBITED BY STANDARD/BLACKOUT [Error: Format Unrecognized] | Indomitable Bastard #283
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Excidium Planetis
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Excidium Planetis » Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:51 am

Tinfect wrote:
For example, Excidium Planetis has in their history, that they abandoned Earth due to a horrible cataclysm, or somesuch. Due to this, any RPs that involve Earth, or other Humans, are generally a bit difficult to work with.

Actually, (and I'm sure I've explained this before but I can't expect you to keep track of my canon, now, right?), the ancestors of Excidium fled a totally non-Earth collection of planets in an unspecified corner of the Milky Way. There is an Earth in Excidian canon, but all records of it after the year 2016 basically don't exist.

I could, theoretically, accept an Earth-based nation's canon into mine. The problem is I could only do that one time, and after that problems would arise with conflicting canons. Which is why I avoid Earth at all costs.

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:13 am

Imperium Anglorum wrote:

"The POW Accord makes a determination between civilian internees, military internees, and prisoners of war. However, the rights and protections associated with them are functionally identical. The only difference is that Prisoners of War may be compelled to perform non-essential labor, while civilian internees cannot. However, as ambassador Schultz has pointed out, these resolutions necessarily build off of each other. My rejoinder was simply that, without repeating the relevant sections of the POW Accord at every step, such reliance was necessary. The advantages outweigh the disadvantages: It cuts down on character count, the POW Accord is not a very tempting target to repeal, and a replacement will almost certainly use the term Prisoner of War. Even if it is repealed, a follow-up will fill the gap appropriately.

"Unfortunately, the same cannot be said for the term "civilian internee", which places me in the position of making a call: subject captured crew to legal compelled labor, or run the risk of having them excluded entirely as a result of an otherwise reasonable oversight. In the interest of preserving lives, I opted for the former.

"One could potentially argue that my wording of appending the rights and protections but not necessarily the duties would prevent this, and I admit, that was part of my intention with that particular wording, but I'll freely admit that its a tenuous argument to make. Its much more likely that nations that capture commercial ships, aircraft, spacecraft, or vehicles will choose not to consider that particular nuance. Though, I suppose if I tuck a note in there regarding the crews as not lawful belligerents (as opposed to unlawful belligerents), this would be less a concern. I would, of course, appreciate input on that."

OOC: I will admit that I don't entirely follow this response. However, what I got from it was basically that you said PoW because it is already defined and probably won't get repealed. I'm still unsure whether civilian merchants are considered prisoners of war. And while I see why using PoW is a helpful definition, I don't see why that is a reason for affirmative action.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:22 am

Imperium Anglorum wrote:OOC: I will admit that I don't entirely follow this response. However, what I got from it was basically that you said PoW because it is already defined and probably won't get repealed. I'm still unsure whether civilian merchants are considered prisoners of war. And while I see why using PoW is a helpful definition, I don't see why that is a reason for affirmative action.

OOC: What didn't you follow? It was all very straightforward strategic planning. Civilian merchants are granted the same rights and protections as prisoners of war, which makes them de facto prisoners of war. This is helpful because, if POW Accord was repealed, a replacement will likely use POW instead of "civilian internee", as the current POW Accord does. As such, considering them POWs as opposed to civilian internees makes more sense strategically from an authorship perspective.

I don't see how that isn't worth affirmative action. It prevents gaps in future legislation. This is a good thing. The rest of this was me predicting counterarguments and settling them.
Last edited by Separatist Peoples on Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives