NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] Repeal "Law Enforcement Education"

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Atlae Isles
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 07, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Resolution's "lack of food"

Postby The Atlae Isles » Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:36 pm

The World Assembly General Assembly is voting about "Repeal 'Law Enforcement Education' ."

I find many problems with this resolution, (i.e.: "Rejecting the claim that such relations have deteriorated lately, as this is not the case in most nations," Contrary to what this says, relations have been deteriorated recently, especially from my country, where it has faced an issue of police brutality.

"Believing that this is simply not an international issue, as nations can deal with law enforcement education without World Assembly intervention in crime and judicial procedure" This is an international issue, because even though this resolution says "nations can deal with law enforcement education without World Assembly intervention" which seems absurd, because (1.) some countries are not obliged to do so, since their government either does not care for the citizen's vendetta against the uneducated and untrained police force, or (2.) the government directly benefits from corruption of the police force and the anguish of its citizens. World Assembly intervention is essential in this situation, especially because the purpose of the General Assembly is to improve the world, which cannot be done if the World Assembly is blocked from using its designated power because of questions on its legitimacy of an international issue.)

My main problem with this resolution is as follows:

"Also Disappointed by the resolution's lack of three oranges, peeled and de-veined, two hundred and fifty milliliters of milk or coconut milk, one egg plus two egg yolks (from chickens), five milliliters of vanilla extract, thirty milliliters of raw honey (preferably from Terran bees), and three hundred and seventy-five milliliters of ice, despite the obvious benefits of including these and an electric blender at public meetings, shocked at the target's failure to combine everything except oranges and ice in a blender and mixing for about twenty seconds to create a frothy cream, before adding the oranges and blending for another twenty seconds or until smooth; and at last adding the ice and blending for another twenty seconds."

I am quite confused at why, when the resolution is based on reducing public spending on training police, has a section about why the resolution in question lacks a recipe that contains oranges made a specific way, (coconut) milk, chicken egg (and yolk), vanilla, raw honey, and ice; or cream made by all the previous ingredients not containing the oranges and ice. There seems to be no reason to supply food for the police force with public spending. This resolution at vote is based on the premise that public spending on police is higher than it should be. However, with the food, this adds otherwise frivolous and unnecessary spending to the budget of governments.

For these reasons, I have voted AGAINST the resolution at vote, and I encourage other WA members to do the same.
Author of Issues #752, #816, and #967
Delegate Emeritus of The East Pacific
WA Ambassador: George Williamsen
"Gloria in Terra" | "The pronunciation of "Atlae" is /ætleɪ/. Don't you forget it."
Collecting TEP Cards! - Deputy Steward of TEAPOT

The Lunar Capital
Political Columnist

Founded: Aug 20, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby The Lunar Capital » Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:39 pm

Lord Tsukuyomi sat, contemplating the possible recipe for disaster that this new proposal could cook up, when the Minister for Ludicrous World Assembly Proposals and the Minister for Delicious Recipes burst into his office.

"Lord Tsukuyomi," the Ludicrous World Assembly Proposals minister said, "we can't possibly accept this bill! If we did, we would become one of those countries only known for voting for proposals with recipes!"

"Yes," Lord Tsukuyomi replied, "but this is only a one time thing. We can have some fun, right?"

The Minister for Delicious Recipes began to nod his head a little too violently. "Yes, yes, Lord Tsukuyomi, let us vote for this so that we can put it into our private List of Recipes (Maybe from Grandma)..."

The Minister for Delicious Recipes then began to foam at the mouth, fall to the ground convulsing, and taken away by the Minister of Emergency First Aid and the Minister of Hospitals. The cause of convulsing was an overdose of Orange Julius smoothies...?

OOC: I've never seen a proposal like this. Voted for, just for the sheer hell of it.

Liagolas
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Dec 18, 2015
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Liagolas » Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:45 pm

The Atlae Isles wrote:Contrary to what this says, relations have been deteriorated recently, especially from my country, where it has faced an issue of police brutality.

"How tragic!" the hooded Mouth of the Dominion says. "It is the hope of the Dominion that the matter in your nation is resolved swiftly, Ambassador. However, no such thing has also happened in the Dominion, and many delegates have expressed the same for their nations. While relations between civilians and law enforcement may be deteriorating in you country, the same is not true internationally."

This is an international issue, because even though this resolution says "nations can deal with law enforcement education without World Assembly intervention" which seems absurd, because (1.) some countries are not obliged to do so, since their government either does not care for the citizen's vendetta against the uneducated and untrained police force, or (2.) the government directly benefits from corruption of the police force and the anguish of its citizens. World Assembly intervention is essential in this situation, especially because the purpose of the General Assembly is to improve the world, which cannot be done if the World Assembly is blocked from using its designated power because of questions on its legitimacy of an international issue.)

"The possible scenarios you speak of would be better addressed with legislation more specific than the sweeping effects of the resolution targeted by this repeal," the Mouth says. "That way, nations that have such problems are amended and nations that don't are spared. However, keep in mind that the repeal also explains that the target resolution fails to even effectively accomplish its goals. Even if you believe this to be an international issue, Ambassador, it is the recommendation of the Dominion that you seek a better solution than the targeted resolution."

My main problem with this resolution is as follows:

"So you are not disappointed by the targeted resolution's failure to concoct an Orange Julius?" the Mouth says, suddenly sipping from a glass of Orange Julius that was not there before.
The Place Without a PeopleThe Dominion, brieflyThe Liagolas (leader) • MT. The dystopia pretending to be a hivemind. • When NS stats make your nation look freer than it's meant to be. • Security Council: *dips toe into roleplaying* General Assembly: *slaps SC*
In insisting it's a political simulation, NS ignores its reality as a political simulation game. Games have boundaries, and modern roleplaying games have safety tools. NS has neither, leaving it stuck as a badge-collecting pay-to-win where causticness is excused as "character," griefing/raiding is "just politics," and F7 is more courteous than General Assembly.

The Atlae Isles
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 07, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Orange Julius

Postby The Atlae Isles » Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:10 pm

"Because they are disappointing. Don't you agree that is is disappointing that GA#365 doesn't require Orange Julius at its public meetings?"
"Since when does the governments of most countries supply Orange Julius at public meetings? This is a part of funding that should be cut, because even though Orange Julius might be delicious, the government should not carry the expenses of having to buy Orange Julius. Any supply of Orange Julius should be from the private sector, and would also not only save the government of the expenses of having to supply Orange Julius to each and every public meeting, but also would show a clear message to the private industry that people demand Orange Julius, and will start producing it, and grow the economy.

If your resolution or repeal doesn't show a sense of maturity, your nation itself shouldn't even be allowed to be part of the World Assembly if you can't show that.

"Go back and read General Assembly Resolution #8 'World Assembly Headquarters'. Then tell me I'm not allowed to be a World Assembly member because I wrote a repeal which 'doesn't show a sense of maturity'. How many mature resolutions have you written, hmm?"

"I'm afraid both of these arguments contain ad hominem. Also, the maturity of the person who writes a silly resolution is not a relevant reason for why this resolution should not be passed."

"But GA#365 doesn't lower crime at all. Please explain how it would do that in a way nations cannot do themselves."

"Nations might not be obliged to do so, as discussed in my other comment. Also, please provide proof for why GA #365 doesn't lower crime.

"Concerned that "Law Enforcement Education" requires public funding to be given to law enforcement agencies even in nations that use private police forces instead of public law enforcement agencies"
Your point about this is?? I don't see any problem about this... it's completely irrelevant

"So you believe the government should spend money on programs it doesn't pay for normally? You believe in mandating business subsidies? If a nation doesn't have any police force, GA#365 still requires funds to be set aside for them. It is ridiculous for the government to pay for something that doesn't exist."

"Why wouldn't a nation not have a police force? Even if it's a private police force, it still protects the country. The private police force is still responsible for protecting citizens, and the government would be responsible for paying the police force, private or not. Also, your claim of 'no police force' has not been covered in the resolution at vote. But if there is no police force, then there should be funding to build a police force. If the country is dependent on another country's police force, then there should be some funding to award the police force for their hard work, or, the country can divert this extra money to other things, like its own defense."

The rest is just despicable as to how this repeal got into the resolution...

"Even the author of GA#365 supports the repeal. So I'm not sure why you are defending a resolution even the author won't defend."

"Even if the author of GA #365 wants to repeal the resolution he/she authored, some supporters of GA #365, like me, still support it. It is likely that the author probably switched opinions, perhaps mainly for 'Orange Julius.'

"How tragic!" the hooded Mouth of the Dominion says. "It is the hope of the Dominion that the matter in your nation is resolved swiftly, Ambassador. However, no such thing has also happened in the Dominion, and many delegates have expressed the same for their nations. While relations between civilians and law enforcement may be deteriorating in you country, the same is not true internationally."

"The possible scenarios you speak of would be better addressed with legislation more specific than the sweeping effects of the resolution targeted by this repeal," the Mouth says. "That way, nations that have such problems are amended and nations that don't are spared. However, keep in mind that the repeal also explains that the target resolution fails to even effectively accomplish its goals. Even if you believe this to be an international issue, Ambassador, it is the recommendation of the Dominion that you seek a better solution than the targeted resolution."

"So you are not disappointed by the targeted resolution's failure to concoct an Orange Julius?" the Mouth says, suddenly sipping from a glass of Orange Julius that was not there before.

"I am actually quite amused that you used a format as a conversation with me. However, even if the issues of police brutality have not struck your country quite yet, or are ignoring it, there are quite a few nations who have faced this issue, so it is international. But the point is, some countries are not interested in amending their policy on police brutality, so an international force must be mobilized to make a less corrupt police force. Finally, yes. I am upset that some supporters of the repeal are doing so just for Orange Julius, which should not be a government issue. The private beverage industry should be able to sell it. I am distressed at the possibility that some supporters might, even though they might see the rest of the repeal as wrong, are swayed over by the promise of Orange Julius at every public meeting, even though it is the private sector's and not the government's responsibility to supply any Orange Julius, which should be classified as "an unnecessary expenditure."
Author of Issues #752, #816, and #967
Delegate Emeritus of The East Pacific
WA Ambassador: George Williamsen
"Gloria in Terra" | "The pronunciation of "Atlae" is /ætleɪ/. Don't you forget it."
Collecting TEP Cards! - Deputy Steward of TEAPOT

Liagolas
Chargé d'Affaires

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Liagolas » Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:31 pm

The Atlae Isles wrote:"Even if the author of GA #365 wants to repeal the resolution he/she authored, some supporters of GA #365, like me, still support it. It is likely that the author probably switched opinions, perhaps mainly for 'Orange Julius.'

OOC: Fairly certain it had nothing to do with the Orange Julius recipe; they were just convinced by others that their resolution did more harm than good.

IC: "The Dominion is fairly certain it had nothing to do with the Orange Julius recipe; they were just convinced by others that their resolution did more harm than good.

"I am actually quite amused that you used a format as a conversation with me.

OOC: Wait, what? I'm really sorry, but I honestly have no idea what this sentence is saying.

However, even if the issues of police brutality have not struck your country quite yet, or are ignoring it,

IC: "Or some nations just have different problems?"

there are quite a few nations who have faced this issue, so it is international.

"Quite a few nations have faster than light travel," the Mouth says. "That doesn't mean the World Assembly sets faster than light speed limits for interstellar transit. Doing so would be silly when so many other nations don't confront the same issues."

But the point is, some countries are not interested in amending their policy on police brutality, so an international force must be mobilized to make a less corrupt police force.

"It is the belief of the Dominion that the international force you desire would be better implemented through a superior piece of legislation. The repeal explains why the resolution targeted fails to solve the problems it seeks to address. Although it requires funds be set aside for programs to improve law enforcement relations, it does not actually require that those programs be created in the first place."

Finally, yes. I am upset that some supporters of the repeal are doing so just for Orange Julius, which should not be a government issue. The private beverage industry should be able to sell it. I am distressed at the possibility that some supporters might, even though they might see the rest of the repeal as wrong, are swayed over by the promise of Orange Julius at every public meeting, even though it is the private sector's and not the government's responsibility to supply any Orange Julius, which should be classified as "an unnecessary expenditure."

"It is the concern of the Dominion that you may misunderstand the nature of repeals," the Mouth says. "The repeal does not ensure that Orange Juliuses are provided at public meetings; it cannot. One cannot legislate within a repeal. One can only repeal legislation in a repeal. All the repeal is doing is expressing the World Assembly's collective disappointment that the resolution targeted by the repeal does not proliferate Orange Julius consumption. Compared to what it actually does, that would be a step up, you see."
The Place Without a PeopleThe Dominion, brieflyThe Liagolas (leader) • MT. The dystopia pretending to be a hivemind. • When NS stats make your nation look freer than it's meant to be. • Security Council: *dips toe into roleplaying* General Assembly: *slaps SC*
In insisting it's a political simulation, NS ignores its reality as a political simulation game. Games have boundaries, and modern roleplaying games have safety tools. NS has neither, leaving it stuck as a badge-collecting pay-to-win where causticness is excused as "character," griefing/raiding is "just politics," and F7 is more courteous than General Assembly.

Excidium Planetis
Powerbroker

Founded: May 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Excidium Planetis » Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:11 pm

The Atlae Isles wrote:
"Because they are disappointing. Don't you agree that is is disappointing that GA#365 doesn't require Orange Julius at its public meetings?"
"Since when does the governments of most countries supply Orange Julius at public meetings? This is a part of funding that should be cut, because even though Orange Julius might be delicious, the government should not carry the expenses of having to buy Orange Julius. Any supply of Orange Julius should be from the private sector, and would also not only save the government of the expenses of having to supply Orange Julius to each and every public meeting, but also would show a clear message to the private industry that people demand Orange Julius, and will start producing it, and grow the economy.

" Ah, so you are a supporter of the private sector, and do not wish to see unnecessary government spending? So then shouldn't you support the repeal, as GA#365 requires public spending on private police forces, which surely you can see is an unnecessary waste of taxpayer dollars?"

If your resolution or repeal doesn't show a sense of maturity, your nation itself shouldn't even be allowed to be part of the World Assembly if you can't show that.

"Go back and read General Assembly Resolution #8 'World Assembly Headquarters'. Then tell me I'm not allowed to be a World Assembly member because I wrote a repeal which 'doesn't show a sense of maturity'. How many mature resolutions have you written, hmm?"

"I'm afraid both of these arguments contain ad hominem.

"Good, because I didn't say the first one and the second one was a direct response to the first."

Also, the maturity of the person who writes a silly resolution is not a relevant reason for why this resolution should not be passed."

"Good. We are in agreement there."

"But GA#365 doesn't lower crime at all. Please explain how it would do that in a way nations cannot do themselves."

"Nations might not be obliged to do so, as discussed in my other comment. Also, please provide proof for why GA #365 doesn't lower crime.

"No, the burden of proof is on you. You must prove it lowers crime. My argument is that because GA#365 only requires natons to set aside money for non-existent meetings, there is no possible way it lowers crime. If it did, we would have started setting aside money for non-existent programs years ago, crime would be eliminated."

"So you believe the government should spend money on programs it doesn't pay for normally? You believe in mandating business subsidies? If a nation doesn't have any police force, GA#365 still requires funds to be set aside for them. It is ridiculous for the government to pay for something that doesn't exist."

"Why wouldn't a nation not have a police force? Even if it's a private police force, it still protects the country. The private police force is still responsible for protecting citizens, and the government would be responsible for paying the police force, private or not. Also, your claim of 'no police force' has not been covered in the resolution at vote. But if there is no police force, then there should be funding to build a police force. If the country is dependent on another country's police force, then there should be some funding to award the police force for their hard work, or, the country can divert this extra money to other things, like its own defense."

"Many nations do not have police forces because they don't need them. Potted Plants United does not have a police force because there is only one sapient being in the whole nation. Aeiouia doesn't really have a police force because their citizens are all pacifists and are practically impossible to kill or injure.

"Second, the government has no responsibility to pay a private police force, just as they have no responsibility to pay for private health care or pay for private education. In some nations they do so anyways, but in others they do not."

"Even the author of GA#365 supports the repeal. So I'm not sure why you are defending a resolution even the author won't defend."

"Even if the author of GA #365 wants to repeal the resolution he/she authored, some supporters of GA #365, like me, still support it. It is likely that the author probably switched opinions, perhaps mainly for 'Orange Julius.'

"Completely false. Are you seriously arguing that someone wants to repeal their own resolution on an important topic because of an Orange Julius recipe? That's ridiculous."

However, even if the issues of police brutality have not struck your country quite yet, or are ignoring it, there are quite a few nations who have faced this issue, so it is international. But the point is, some countries are not interested in amending their policy on police brutality, so an international force must be mobilized to make a less corrupt police force. Finally, yes. I am upset that some supporters of the repeal are doing so just for Orange Julius, which should not be a government issue. The private beverage industry should be able to sell it. I am distressed at the possibility that some supporters might, even though they might see the rest of the repeal as wrong, are swayed over by the promise of Orange Julius at every public meeting, even though it is the private sector's and not the government's responsibility to supply any Orange Julius, which should be classified as "an unnecessary expenditure."

"First, if you believe this repeal requires Orange Julius to be provided, you clearly have no idea what you are talking about.

"Second, if you believe that nations which have no need for a police force and no police should be forced to spend money on education programs that don't exist, and that this somehow solves the problem of crime, we are going to get nowhere.

"Third, GA#365 does nothing positive. I have yet to see you argue for anything Law Enforcement Education actually does. Show me one postive thing GA#365 does, backed up by text from the resolution proving it actually does that, and I will vote against my own repeal."
Last edited by Excidium Planetis on Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current Ambassador: Adelia Meritt
Ex-Ambassador: Cornelia Schultz, author of GA#355 and GA#368.
#MakeLegislationFunnyAgain
Singaporean Transhumans wrote:You didn't know about Excidium? The greatest space nomads in the NS multiverse with a healthy dose (read: over 9000 percent) of realism?
Saveyou Island wrote:"Warmest welcomes to the Assembly, ambassador. You'll soon learn to hate everyone here."
Imperium Anglorum wrote:Digital Network Defence is pretty meh
Tier 9 nation, according to my index.Made of nomadic fleets.

News: AI wins Dawn Fleet election for High Counselor.

Arpak
Bureaucrat

Founded: Apr 06, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Arpak » Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:54 pm

The Arpakian People STRONGLY OPPOSE this repeal, for the exact same reasons they detailed in support of the original resolution in question. The Just and Glorious Democratic Republic of Arpak refuses to vote in support of a repeal that doesn't provide viable alternative solutions to the issue at hand and belittles a problem that a great percentage of nations worldwide face.

Finally, and MOST IMPORTANTLY the Valiant Democratic Republic of Arpak refuses to become a part of this travesty, this outright mockery of the GA, just to prove a point, and considers this behavior rather immature and incompatible with the responsibilities the nations involved bear. Even though, we're thankful for our nation's introduction to the delight of a cold Orange Julius, we find the recipe's inclusion in the repeal's text UNACCEPTABLE. We acknowledge that the majority of WA voters tend to either blindly vote or just vote according to what their sometimes equally blind WA Delegates have voted for, understand how crucial and important this issue is, but STRONGLY DISAGREE with the submission of a mock proposal as a proper way to address this issue.

Sincerely,
WA Ambassador of the Arpakian People
Hans Dortman
Last edited by Arpak on Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Liagolas
Chargé d'Affaires

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Liagolas » Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:58 pm

Arpak wrote:Finally, and MOST IMPORTANTLY the Valiant Democratic Republic of Arpak refuses to become part of this travesty, this outright mockery of the GA

"Frankly, it is the finding of the Dominion that more 'serious' proposals are often the greater travesties by sheer terribleness of content," the Mouth says blandly. "At least the Orange Julius recipe is ultimately harmless."

Idzequitch
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 22, 2014
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Idzequitch » Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:01 pm

Liagolas wrote:
Arpak wrote:Finally, and MOST IMPORTANTLY the Valiant Democratic Republic of Arpak refuses to become part of this travesty, this outright mockery of the GA

"Frankly, it is the finding of the Dominion that more 'serious' proposals are often the greater travesties by sheer terribleness of content," the Mouth says blandly. "At least the Orange Julius recipe is ultimately harmless."

"I'm startled by the hostility with which the Orange Julius has met" blathers the Idzian representative. "It really is quite an innocuous drink. Quite good if made correctly. I can't interpret all this metric nonsense though. If anything is an issue here, it's the use of the metric system"
Last edited by Idzequitch on Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Twenty-something, male, heterosexual, Protestant Christian. Politically unaffiliated libertarian-ish centrist.
Meyers-Briggs INFP.
Enneagram Type 9.
Political Compass Left/Right 0.13
Libertarian/Authoritarian -5.38
9Axes Results

I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view, and life went on no matter who was wrong or right. - Billy Joel

Excidium Planetis
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Excidium Planetis » Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:03 pm

Arpak wrote:The Arpakian People STRONGLY OPPOSE this repeal, for the exact same reasons they detailed in support of the original resolution in question. The Just and Glorious Democratic Republic of Arpak refuses to vote in support of a repeal that doesn't provide viable alternative solutions to the issue at hand and belittles a problem that a great percentage of nations worldwide face.

Finally, and MOST IMPORTANTLY the Valiant Democratic Republic of Arpak refuses to become a part of this travesty, this outright mockery of the GA, just
to prove a point, and considers this behavior rather immature and incompatible with the responsibilities the nations involved bear. Even though, we're thankful for our nation's introduction to the delight of a cold Orange Julius, we find the recipe's inclusion in the repeal's text UNACCEPTABLE. We acknowledge that the majority of WA voters tend to either blindly vote or just vote according to what their sometimes equally blind WA Delegates have voted for, understand how crucial and important this issue is, but STRONGLY DISAGREE with the submission of a mock proposal as a proper way to address this issue.

Sincerely,
Hans Dortman

OOC:
1) It is illegal to legislate in a repeal. Therefore there cannot be any "alternative solutions" to provide.

2) Go and read every WA resolution, then come back and tell me that I am making a mockery of the WA.
Singaporean Transhumans wrote:You didn't know about Excidium? The greatest space nomads in the NS multiverse with a healthy dose (read: over 9000 percent) of realism?
Saveyou Island wrote:"Warmest welcomes to the Assembly, ambassador. You'll soon learn to hate everyone here."

Arpak
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Arpak » Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:14 pm

Excidium Planetis wrote:
Arpak wrote:The Arpakian People STRONGLY OPPOSE this repeal, for the exact same reasons they detailed in support of the original resolution in question. The Just and Glorious Democratic Republic of Arpak refuses to vote in support of a repeal that doesn't provide viable alternative solutions to the issue at hand and belittles a problem that a great percentage of nations worldwide face.

Finally, and MOST IMPORTANTLY the Valiant Democratic Republic of Arpak refuses to become a part of this travesty, this outright mockery of the GA, just
to prove a point, and considers this behavior rather immature and incompatible with the responsibilities the nations involved bear. Even though, we're thankful for our nation's introduction to the delight of a cold Orange Julius, we find the recipe's inclusion in the repeal's text UNACCEPTABLE. We acknowledge that the majority of WA voters tend to either blindly vote or just vote according to what their sometimes equally blind WA Delegates have voted for, understand how crucial and important this issue is, but STRONGLY DISAGREE with the submission of a mock proposal as a proper way to address this issue.

Sincerely,
Hans Dortman

OOC:
1) It is illegal to legislate in a repeal. Therefore there cannot be any "alternative solutions" to provide.

2) Go and read every WA resolution, then come back and tell me that I am making a mockery of the WA.

OOC: 1) What we meant to say was that we hope this repeal will be followed by the submission of a resolution intended to replace the one in repeal. Unless that's the case, we'll still vehemently oppose this repeal rather than simply support it in favour of the "unknown" or simply "nothing".

2) That's hell of an argument right here. "Since there are many mock-proposal authors, blind WA Voters and Delegates turning the GA into a joke, why shouldn't we, more devoted RPers have a take on it?". Nice going.
Last edited by Arpak on Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Excidium Planetis
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Excidium Planetis » Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:19 pm

Arpak wrote:OOC: 1) What we meant to say was that we hope this repeal will be followed by the submission of a resolution intended to replace the one in repeal. Unless that's the case, we'll still vehemently oppose this repeal rather than simply support it in favour of the "unknown" or simply "nothing".

It's not an international issue. Nations which have problems with their police to public relationships do jot need outside help, they should take care of it on their own. Can you imagine if the real life UN started telling the US that they need to have better trained cops? That's the nation equivalent of babysitting.

2) That's hell of an argument right here. Since there are many blind WA Voters and Delegates turning the GA into a joke, why shouldn't we, more devoted RPers have a take on it?

The GA is not being turned into a joke by blind voters. The GA always was a joke. Go and read every GA resolution. GA#1 and GA#8 are good places to start. Slowly make your way up to GA#122. By the time you hit GA#349, you should have a good idea of how serious the GA is.
Last edited by Excidium Planetis on Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Liagolas
Chargé d'Affaires

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Liagolas » Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:23 pm

Excidium Planetis wrote:The GA is not being turned into a joke by blind voters. The GA always was a joke. Go and read every GA resolution. GA#1 and GA#8 are good places to start. Slowly make your way up to GA#122.

"While the Dominion would not say that the General Assembly is a joke, it is the belief of the Dominion that its members ought to be able to make jokes. It is good for morale and camaraderie."

EDIT: Didn't quite realize that was OOC. Sentiment's still the same. GA might not BE a joke, but jokes still have their place... and this one is most certainly worth it. At its heart, this is a game that is supposed to be fun.
Last edited by Liagolas on Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Excidium Planetis
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Excidium Planetis » Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:24 pm

Liagolas wrote:
Excidium Planetis wrote:The GA is not being turned into a joke by blind voters. The GA always was a joke. Go and read every GA resolution. GA#1 and GA#8 are good places to start. Slowly make your way up to GA#122.

"While the Dominion would not say that the General Assembly is a joke, it is the belief of the Dominion that its members ought to be able to make jokes. It is good for morale and camaraderie."

That was OOC.

Liagolas
Chargé d'Affaires

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Liagolas » Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:26 pm

Excidium Planetis wrote:That was OOC.

OOC: Whoops; now fixed.

Arpak
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Arpak » Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:32 pm

Excidium Planetis wrote:
Arpak wrote:OOC: 1) What we meant to say was that we hope this repeal will be followed by the submission of a resolution intended to replace the one in repeal. Unless that's the case, we'll still vehemently oppose this repeal rather than simply support it in favour of the "unknown" or simply "nothing".

It's not an international issue. Nations which have problems with their police to public relationships do jot need outside help, they should take care of it on their own. Can you imagine if the real life UN started telling the US that they need to have better trained cops? That's the nation equivalent of babysitting.

2) That's hell of an argument right here. Since there are many blind WA Voters and Delegates turning the GA into a joke, why shouldn't we, more devoted RPers have a take on it?

The GA is not being turned into a joke by blind voters. The GA always was a joke. Go and read every GA resolution. GA#1 and GA#8 are good places to start. Slowly make your way up to GA#122.

OOC: 1) Can't disagree with you here, but we gotta stick to the nation's we-roleplay-as agenda :P.

2) We can't say we didn't appreciate or like the joke :P, but seriously now, how does this make the GA any better? What's the point of it anyway? Just being a huge joke? We, for once, think the debates have been very interesting and fun in the cases they were more serious.

Herby
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 13, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Herby » Sun May 01, 2016 12:20 am

Liagolas wrote:

Herby carefully follows the directions and pours an Orange Julius into his gas tank. In a few moments his tailpipe starts belching puffs of smoke.

AHHHHHHHHH I'm burnin I'm burnin I'm burnin make it stop make it stop stop STOP get it outta me! AHhhhhhhhh................
-- Ambassador #53. From the nation of Herby. But you can call me Herby.

Herby's doors and windows are ALWAYS locked when she's in the Strangers' Bar (unless she unlocks them for you). And, she has no accelerator, a mock steering wheel, and no gear shifter. So, no joyrides.

Liagolas
Chargé d'Affaires

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Liagolas » Sun May 01, 2016 12:23 am

Herby wrote:Herby carefully follows the directions and pours an Orange Julius into his gas tank. In a few moments his tailpipe starts belching puffs of smoke.

AHHHHHHHHH I'm burnin I'm burnin I'm burnin make it stop make it stop stop STOP get it outta me! AHhhhhhhhh................

"Er..." The Mouth starts to mentally backpedal, trying to determine how to justify its comment. "Ah! The recipe is harmless. However, the Orange Julius that might result from following said recipe... not so much."

Reputation spared, fellow colleague suffering... another day in the General Assembly?

Louisistan
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 10, 2012
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Louisistan » Sun May 01, 2016 2:37 am

OOC: Following a shift in the regional poll, I have withdrawn my vote (previously in favour). I invite then author to adress the region here:
http://10000islands.proboards.com/threa ... -education
Knight of TITO

Tinfect
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 04, 2014
Democratic Socialists

Postby Tinfect » Sun May 01, 2016 3:25 am

OOC:
Well, we started strong.
Raslin Seretis, Imperial Diplomatic Envoy, He/Him
Tolarn Feren, Civil Oversight Representative, He/Him
Jasot Rehlan, Military Oversight Representative, She/Her

Bisexual, Transgender (She/Her), Native-American, and Actual CommunistTM.

Imperium Central News Network: EMERGENCY ALERT: ALL CITIZENS ARE TO PROCEED TO EVACUATION SITES IMMEDIATELY | EMERGENCY ALERT: ALL FURTHER SUBSPACE SIGNALS AND SYSTEMS ARE TO BE DISABLED IMMEDIATELY | EMERGENCY ALERT: THE FOLLOWING SYSTEMS ARE ACCESS PROHIBITED BY STANDARD/BLACKOUT [Error: Format Unrecognized] | Indomitable Bastard #283
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Louisistan
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 10, 2012
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Louisistan » Sun May 01, 2016 3:50 am

de Ville:
"Several nations have objected to the recipe included in this proposal. While I appreciate the humour, one can understand that nations would not want such a joke in an unrepealable resolution. In the event that this should fail, I encourage the authoring delegation to re-submit it without the recipe. I'm fairly sure our votes would then be squarely in the Repeal column."
Knight of TITO

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Sun May 01, 2016 5:41 am

Liagolas wrote:OOC: At its heart, this is a game that is supposed to be fun.

OOC: This. A thousand times this.

- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Gandharasila
Lobbyist

Founded: Feb 09, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Gandharasila » Sun May 01, 2016 7:09 am

We can't believe that this joke of a resolution is being voted on.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Sun May 01, 2016 7:28 am

Gandharasila wrote:We can't believe that this joke of a resolution is being voted on.

It's a legal repeal. Which is more than can be said of most repeals that get submitted - most of which don't have any drafting threads at all.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Wallenburg
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 30, 2015
Democratic Socialists

Postby Wallenburg » Sun May 01, 2016 9:23 am

Tinfect wrote:OOC:
Well, we started strong.

Louisistan voting against won't kill this. Not even remotely.
While she had no regrets about throwing the lever to douse her husband's mistress in molten gold, Blanche did feel a pang of conscience for the innocent bystanders whose proximity had caused them to suffer gilt by association.

King of Snark, Real Piece of Work, Metabolizer of Oxygen, Old Man from The East Pacific, by the Malevolence of Her Infinite Terribleness Catherine Gratwick the Sole and True Claimant to the Bears Armed Vacancy, Protector of the Realm

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives