NATION

PASSWORD

[DEFEATED] Protection of Partially Born

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Liagolas
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Dec 18, 2015
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Liagolas » Sun Apr 24, 2016 3:05 pm

Christian Democrats wrote:
Excidium Planetis wrote:"Her." Cornelia Schultz says.

:oops:

The Mouth points at its hood.

"Invest," it says.
The Place Without a PeopleThe Dominion, brieflyThe Liagolas (leader) • MT. The dystopia pretending to be a hivemind. • When NS stats make your nation look freer than it's meant to be. • Security Council: *dips toe into roleplaying* General Assembly: *slaps SC*
In insisting it's a political simulation, NS ignores its reality as a political simulation game. Games have boundaries, and modern roleplaying games have safety tools. NS has neither, leaving it stuck as a badge-collecting pay-to-win where causticness is excused as "character," griefing/raiding is "just politics," and F7 is more courteous than General Assembly.

Ovybia
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 25, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Ovybia » Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:39 pm

We have less than 21 hours to get the support of 88 more delegates. If you support this, please ask your WA delegate to approve it here: http://www.nationstates.net/page=UN_vie ... 1461369507

We reached quorum before so I know we have the support out there. We just need to let the delegates know about it.
Please approve Child Destruction Ban. If you don't, the Ovybian dragon will come eat you.
Prolife? Consider joining Right to Life, one of the 100 largest regions of NS
Signature Details
Practicing courteousness in an NS argument never hurt anyone.
Disclaimer: Admittedly sometimes I need to take my own advice.

Louisistan
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 10, 2012
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Louisistan » Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:52 pm

I'm not touching this with a ten foot limbo pole.
Knight of TITO

Excidium Planetis
Powerbroker

Founded: May 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Excidium Planetis » Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:23 am

This will not make it to vote.

I told you you should have named it Partial Birth Termination.
Current Ambassador: Adelia Meritt
Ex-Ambassador: Cornelia Schultz, author of GA#355 and GA#368.
#MakeLegislationFunnyAgain
Singaporean Transhumans wrote:You didn't know about Excidium? The greatest space nomads in the NS multiverse with a healthy dose (read: over 9000 percent) of realism?
Saveyou Island wrote:"Warmest welcomes to the Assembly, ambassador. You'll soon learn to hate everyone here."
Imperium Anglorum wrote:Digital Network Defence is pretty meh
Tier 9 nation, according to my index.Made of nomadic fleets.

News: AI wins Dawn Fleet election for High Counselor.

Happy People Land
Secretary

Founded: Jan 25, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Happy People Land » Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:05 pm

It's not at all commendable to approve every proposal, if everyone was like him the WA would be terrible. I'm sure he has done great things for the region, but he is also undermining a portion of the WA

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Separatist Peoples » Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:27 pm

Happy People Land wrote:It's not at all commendable to approve every proposal, if everyone was like him the WA would be terrible. I'm sure he has done great things for the region, but he is also undermining a portion of the WA

OOC: do you mean to post to the Commend Vancouvia thread?

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 29, 2009
New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:19 pm

Ovybia wrote:We have less than 21 hours to get the support of 88 more delegates. If you support this, please ask your WA delegate to approve it here: http://www.nationstates.net/page=UN_vie ... 1461369507

We reached quorum before so I know we have the support out there. We just need to let the delegates know about it.

Yeah, you'll need to submit this proposal again in a week or two and campaign for it.
Leo Tolstoy wrote:Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it.
GA#160: Forced Marriages Ban Act (79%)
GA#175: Organ and Blood Donations Act (68%)^
SC#082: Repeal "Liberate Catholic" (80%)
GA#200: Foreign Marriage Recognition (54%)
GA#213: Privacy Protection Act (70%)
GA#231: Marital Rape Justice Act (81%)^
GA#233: Ban Profits on Workers' Deaths (80%)*
GA#249: Stopping Suicide Seeds (70%)^
GA#253: Repeal "Freedom in Medical Research" (76%)
GA#285: Assisted Suicide Act (70%)^
GA#310: Disabled Voters Act (81%)
GA#373: Repeal "Convention on Execution" (54%)
GA#468: Prohibit Private Prisons (57%)^

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution
#360: Electile Dysfunction
#452: Foetal Furore
#560: Bicameral Backlash
#570: Clerical Errors

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:35 pm

Ovybia wrote:We have less than 21 hours to get the support of 88 more delegates. If you support this, please ask your WA delegate to approve it here: http://www.nationstates.net/page=UN_vie ... 1461369507

Yeah, you'll need to submit this proposal again in a week or two and campaign for it.

OOC: Waiting is not a requirement in this case. A submission can be made immediately if there is no legality contest to adjust for.

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:39 pm

Separatist Peoples wrote:
Christian Democrats wrote:Yeah, you'll need to submit this proposal again in a week or two and campaign for it.

OOC: Waiting is not a requirement in this case. A submission can be made immediately if there is no legality contest to adjust for.

OOC: Ovybia and United Massachusetts did a partial TG campaign, and I don't think they ought to bother delegates with telegrams about the same proposal twice in one week. They don't want to burn delegates out.
Leo Tolstoy wrote:Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it.

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution

Ovybia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Ovybia » Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:59 pm

Separatist Peoples wrote:OOC: Waiting is not a requirement in this case. A submission can be made immediately if there is no legality contest to adjust for.

OOC: Ovybia and United Massachusetts did a partial TG campaign, and I don't think they ought to bother delegates with telegrams about the same proposal twice in one week. They don't want to burn delegates out.

OOC: Good point. I need to get an API going. I just learned that it's practically impossible to get anything to quorum without an API.

Thoughts on changing the name? I am leaning towards keeping the current one since it's already been campaigned for before and last time, not only reached but exceeded quorum in less than a day (before the mods pulled it.)
Please approve Child Destruction Ban. If you don't, the Ovybian dragon will come eat you.
Signature Details

Excidium Planetis
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Excidium Planetis » Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:08 pm

Ovybia wrote:OOC: Good point. I need to get an API going. I just learned that it's practically impossible to get anything to quorum without an API.

I passed GA#338 with a manual telegram campaign. But that was when the requirement was only like 80 delegates, not the nearly 130 today. Also, I don't recommend manually sending hundreds of telegrams.

Another easy way is to spend the $3 for the stamps necessary to hit every delegate.
Singaporean Transhumans wrote:You didn't know about Excidium? The greatest space nomads in the NS multiverse with a healthy dose (read: over 9000 percent) of realism?
Saveyou Island wrote:"Warmest welcomes to the Assembly, ambassador. You'll soon learn to hate everyone here."

Ovybia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Ovybia » Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:31 pm

Excidium Planetis wrote:
Ovybia wrote:OOC: Good point. I need to get an API going. I just learned that it's practically impossible to get anything to quorum without an API.

I passed GA#338 with a manual telegram campaign. But that was when the requirement was only like 80 delegates, not the nearly 130 today. Also, I don't recommend manually sending hundreds of telegrams.

Another easy way is to spend the $3 for the stamps necessary to hit every delegate.

As a general rule, I don't spend money on online games but using an API should be fine, I think it'll get it to quorum. I'd estimate that together my coauthor, myself, and a few other members from my region sent out about 600 telegrams (we're not going through that again). Right now we have 62 approvals (about 50% of the necessary number) so we had a recruit rate of about 1%. Not bad, considering that many of those telegrams were sent in the last day or two.

Another thing I learned: Don't submit a proposal over a weekend.
Signature Details

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:10 pm

Ovybia wrote:Thoughts on changing the name?

Keep the current name.

Ovybia wrote:Another thing I learned: Don't submit a proposal over a weekend.

The main thing to remember is to submit your proposals right after the update so that you maximize your time to obtain approvals. The update times are 12 AM and 12 PM ET respectively.

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:45 am

Ovybia wrote:Thoughts on changing the name?

Keep the current name.

Change the name as was suggested before. The current one smells too much of trying to sneakily ban abortions of all sorts.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Ovybia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Ovybia » Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:15 am

Araraukar wrote:
Christian Democrats wrote:Keep the current name.

Change the name as was suggested before. The current one smells too much of trying to sneakily ban abortions of all sorts.

I'm starting to agree with that notion despite the fact that I have widely publicized the previous name. How about "Partial Birth Protection"?

I was told earlier that a proposal can only have one co-author. However upon reviewing the rules, I found the maximum co-authors to be three so I have re-added CD as a co-author. If I am wrong on this, please let me know and give a link to the rule.
Signature Details

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:24 am

Ovybia wrote:I'm starting to agree with that notion despite the fact that I have widely publicized the previous name. How about "Partial Birth Protection"?

That sounds like you wanted to protect births that only happen partially (aka the baby gets stuck in the birth canal). :P

EP had, I think, the best suggestion:
Excidium Planetis wrote:I told you you should have named it Partial Birth Termination.

Of course, if you want to annoy some people, you could always make it "On Partial Birth Termination". Even "Partial Birth Termination Act" is just (at 29 marks) short enough for a name. After all, you're wanting to (OOC: against all sensibility and mods saying it still counts as an abortion and thus contradicts previous legislation, I might add) to make the partial birth termination illegal.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

The Sheika
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 27, 2011
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby The Sheika » Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:28 am

Ovybia wrote:
Araraukar wrote:Change the name as was suggested before. The current one smells too much of trying to sneakily ban abortions of all sorts.

I'm starting to agree with that notion despite the fact that I have widely publicized the previous name. How about "Partial Birth Protection"?

I was told earlier that a proposal can only have one co-author. However upon reviewing the rules, I found the maximum co-authors to be three so I have re-added CD as a co-author. If I am wrong on this, please let me know and give a link to the rule.

I do have to agree that a change of the name would help. I know that you had publicized exactly what you intend, unfortunately there are those who only see the title and only go skin deep. "Partial Birth Protection" is an idea, but look for other suggestions that pop up and get opinions on all of them just to be certain.
Colonel Johnathan "Jack" Austin, Ambassador to the World Assembly
Department of International Affairs
Militaristic Federation of the Sheika
Regional Delegate of Absolution

Ovybia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Ovybia » Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:33 am

Araraukar wrote:
Ovybia wrote:I'm starting to agree with that notion despite the fact that I have widely publicized the previous name. How about "Partial Birth Protection"?

That sounds like you wanted to protect births that only happen partially (aka the baby gets stuck in the birth canal). :P

Excidium Planetis wrote:I told you you should have named it Partial Birth Termination.

Partial Birth Termination is not descriptive enough. It could be anything including an act to allowing child destruction.

Araraukar wrote:Of course, if you want to annoy some people, you could always make it "On Partial Birth Termination". Even "Partial Birth Termination Act" is just (at 29 marks) short enough for a name. After all, you're wanting to (OOC: against all sensibility and mods saying it still counts as an abortion and thus contradicts previous legislation, I might add) to make the partial birth termination illegal.

OOC: Why is it so hard to understand that, using the English language, child destruction is not an abortion? For ease of access, I even included the definition of pregnancy in the proposal to make it blatantly obvious.

The Sheika wrote:

I do have to agree that a change of the name would help. I know that you had publicized exactly what you intend, unfortunately there are those who only see the title and only go skin deep. "Partial Birth Protection" is an idea, but look for other suggestions that pop up and get opinions on all of them just to be certain.

Thanks. Will do. :)
Signature Details

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:03 am

Ovybia wrote:OOC: Why is it so hard to understand that, using the English language, child destruction is not an abortion? For ease of access, I even included the definition of pregnancy in the proposal to make it blatantly obvious.

OOC: So you don't want to criminalize "end[ing] a child's life during birth [which is] the passing of a child from the uterus and through the birth canal"?

Leppikania
Minister

Founded: Apr 13, 2015
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Leppikania » Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:55 am

Ovybia wrote:
Araraukar wrote:Change the name as was suggested before. The current one smells too much of trying to sneakily ban abortions of all sorts.

That was actually a very recent change. When I said to limit it to one co-author, the rules still said one co-author only.
INTP, -4.25 Economic Left/Right, -4.1 Social Libertarian/Authoritarian, tastes like chicken.
I do use NS stats, thank you very much.
Funny Quotes
Pie charts for industries
Request an Embassy

Excidium Planetis
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Excidium Planetis » Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:13 pm

Ovybia wrote:
Araraukar wrote:That sounds like you wanted to protect births that only happen partially (aka the baby gets stuck in the birth canal). :P

Partial Birth Termination is not descriptive enough. It could be anything including an act to allowing child destruction.

That's great. The ambiguity could potentially lure more pro-life voters to your side.

Or, if you want to make it obvious "Partial Birth Termination Ban".

Ovybia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Ovybia » Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:02 pm

Araraukar wrote:
Ovybia wrote:OOC: Why is it so hard to understand that, using the English language, child destruction is not an abortion? For ease of access, I even included the definition of pregnancy in the proposal to make it blatantly obvious.

OOC: So you don't want to criminalize "end[ing] a child's life during birth [which is] the passing of a child from the uterus and through the birth canal"?

And pregnancy according to the common definition is "the state of an individual having an offspring develop within the uterus" as it says in the proposal so killing a child outside of the uterus is, logically, not "termination of pregnancy."

Excidium Planetis wrote:
Ovybia wrote:Partial Birth Termination is not descriptive enough. It could be anything including an act to allowing child destruction.

That's great. The ambiguity could potentially lure more pro-life voters to your side.

I think you mean pro-choice voters. "Partial Birth Protection" is more positive and concise than "Partial Birth Termination Ban." Why do you think "termination" is a better term than "protection"?

And I'm open to other suggestions or thoughts on the name change.
Signature Details

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:21 pm

OOC: nobody is going to mistake this for a pro-choice proposal. I wouldn't even bother tweaking the title to that particular end. You know somebody will run a counter campaign, and you know it's going to come across as a pro-life move to limit abortion, whether that's what it does or not. Name it accurately, as opposed to positively or negatively, and voters won't feel like you're trying to fool them.

Ovybia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Ovybia » Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:50 pm

Separatist Peoples wrote:OOC: nobody is going to mistake this for a pro-choice proposal. I wouldn't even bother tweaking the title to that particular end. You know somebody will run a counter campaign, and you know it's going to come across as a pro-life move to limit abortion, whether that's what it does or not. Name it accurately, as opposed to positively or negatively, and voters won't feel like you're trying to fool them.

I agree and that is why I am trying to change the name. Even though Child Destruction is accurate, many seem to get the wrong impression that it restricts all abortions. A name like "Partial Birth Protection" would be accurate and also descriptive for the general public. And I think many pro-choice voters will agree that the partial birth destruction procedure is unnecessary and disgusting (which is why many real world countries have made it illegal).
Signature Details

Excidium Planetis
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Excidium Planetis » Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:57 pm

Ovybia wrote:
Araraukar wrote:OOC: So you don't want to criminalize "end[ing] a child's life during birth [which is] the passing of a child from the uterus and through the birth canal"?

And pregnancy according to the common definition is "the state of an individual having an offspring develop within the uterus" as it says in the proposal so killing a child outside of the uterus is, logically, not "termination of pregnancy."

Excidium Planetis wrote:That's great. The ambiguity could potentially lure more pro-life voters to your side.

I think you mean pro-choice voters. "Partial Birth Protection" is more positive and concise than "Partial Birth Termination Ban." Why do you think "termination" is a better term than "protection"?

And I'm open to other suggestions or thoughts on the name change.

Sorry, I did mean pro-choice.

"Partial Birth Protection" sounds like you are protecting the right to Partial Birth. Partial Birth Termination Ban is very clear.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives