NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] A Promotion of Basic Education

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.
Unibot
Senator

Founded: May 25, 2008
Ex-Nation

[PASSED] A Promotion of Basic Education

Postby Unibot » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:28 pm

Time to bring out the big guns... Unibot is here, have no fear...

A Promotion of Basic Education

Category: Education and Creativity | Area of Effect: Educational

The General Assembly,

Alarmed at the lack of a primary education for citizens in numerous member nations,

Recognizing that a lack of basic and untainted education prevents literacy, political freedoms, cosmopolitanism and social, political and scientific development,

Alternatively Recognizing that education is a stable catalyst for the growth of economic sectors in national economies that otherwise cannot benefit off scientific and intellectual innovation and astuteness,

Hereby Solemnly:

1. Declares that all citizens have the right to be educated, and thus be provided with the following capabilities through some sort of variation of edification...
• Comprehensive literacy skills and fluency in the official or popular language(s) of their nation;
• An understanding of basic arithmetical operations, geometrics and fundamental mathematics;
• Cognizance of financial mathematics and concepts, currency and economics that is appropriate to the economy of their nation;
• A familiarity with their nation’s governmental policies, processes, civics, rights and freedoms;
• A fair and impartial recollection of historical national and international events, politics and society;
• An accurate understanding of ecological life, nature and the environment;
• A fair and impartial familiarity to common cultural customs, beliefs and ideologies in their nation of residence and abroad;
• Knowledge of the geographical and/or astrographical characteristics of their surrounding environment, including natural, political and demographical characteristics;

2. Further requires that member nations attempt to provide citizens of a nation the aforementioned education in the fullest possible form for any citizen that is mentally incapable, neurologically undeveloped, or otherwise incapable of learning or retaining within reason the fundamental aspects to a basic education;

3. Establishes a division of the WA General Accounting Office (GAO), entitled the Global Initiative for Basic Education (GIBE) to oversee the creation, accuracy and continuance of a registrar that lists all member nations that are currently deemed to be genuinely unable to economically support the requirements of basic edification based on this document;

4. Demands that the Global Initiative organize and provide sufficient financial support from the General Fund for all member nations on the aforementioned registrar;

5. Declares that any donation from the Global Initiative must be used by each recipient nation exclusively to comply with this legislation;

6. Affirms the right of any citizen to leave their nation on their own accord to receive a basic education outside of their nation;

7. Encourages further legislation on the rights and education of the mentally and physical handicapped;

Glen-Rhodes wrote:I expected something with more... bang, Ambassador Harper. Most of the language in this proposal is optional.

BANG!
Last edited by Kryozerkia on Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:26 pm, edited 17 times in total.

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Grays Harbor » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:31 pm

It is our opinion that curriculum and requirements are best determined at school board level, not as a WA resolution.
Everything you know about me is wrong. Or a rumor. Something like that.

Not Ta'veren

Charlotte Ryberg
The Muse of the Westcountry

Founded: Mar 14, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:40 pm

3. Permits member nations to exclude citizens of a nation from receiving the aforementioned education if they are mentally incapable, neurologically undeveloped, or otherwise in capable of learning or retaining within reason the fundamental aspects to a basic education;

I am not quite comfortable with this clause. Member states must endeavour to do what they can to help the mentally incapable at least make the most of their lives.

Sionis Prioratus
Senator

Founded: Feb 07, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Sionis Prioratus » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:42 pm

I actually do like this text; some things that jumped out, though:

Unibot wrote:(h) Any sphere of geography, astrography, social sciences or a branch of knowledge that has not yet been mentioned in this document that could provide more understanding and potentially compassion for their international neighbors;

I'm afraid this as worded allows for the same type of loophole that the Repeal of the current "Right to Education" is being based on; what if a nation declares that teaching to make self-detonation devices "could provide more understanding and potentially compassion for their international neighbors"? Who's to say they cannot do such an hyperbole, to take the words from the current Repeal?

Unibot wrote:3. Permits member nations to exclude citizens of a nation from receiving the aforementioned education if they are mentally incapable, neurologically undeveloped, or otherwise in capable of learning or retaining within reason the fundamental aspects to a basic education;

So discriminatory! And what if a nation declares everybody "mentally incapable [etc]"? These people should also have their right to an education affirmed, adapted to whatever limitations they might possess. (Think CoCR)

Yours,
Last edited by Sionis Prioratus on Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cathérine Victoire de Saint-Clair
Haute Ambassadrice for the WA for
✡ The Jewish Kingdom of Sionis Prioratus
Daughter of The Late King Adrian the First
In the Name of
Sa Majesté Impériale Dagobert VI de Saint-Clair
A simple truth

Unibot
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:44 pm

Grays Harbor wrote:It is our opinion that curriculum and requirements are best determined at school board level, not as a WA resolution.

Thats honorable, but what is asked of schooling in this resolution is fairly basic, and I'd say fair. This resolution is mainly for those nations that cannot determine their curriculum or requirements at a school board level because they cannot economically support primary education at all.

Unibot
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:53 pm

Sionis Prioratus wrote:I actually do like this text; some things that jumped out, though:

Unibot wrote:(h) Any sphere of geography, astrography, social sciences or a branch of knowledge that has not yet been mentioned in this document that could provide more understanding and potentially compassion for their international neighbors;

I'm afraid this as worded allows for the same type of loophole that the Repeal of the current "Right to Education" is being based on; what if a nation declares that teaching to make self-detonation devices "could provide more understanding and potentially compassion for their international neighbors"? Who's to say they cannot do such an hyperbole, to take the words from the current Repeal?

I'll have another look at it, I was really thinking of spiritual or philosophical learning with that additional line.

Unibot wrote:3. Permits member nations to exclude citizens of a nation from receiving the aforementioned education if they are mentally incapable, neurologically undeveloped, or otherwise in capable of learning or retaining within reason the fundamental aspects to a basic education;

So discriminatory! And what if a nation declares everybody "mentally incapable [etc]"? These people should also have their right to an education affirmed, adapted to whatever limitations they might possess. (Think CoCR)

Yours,

I feel another "Rights of Masculists" blow-out on the horizon...

How'll about...

3. Further requires that member nations attempt to provide citizens of a nation the aforementioned education in the fullest possible form for any citizen that is mentally incapable, neurologically undeveloped, or otherwise in capable of learning or retaining within reason the fundamental aspects to a basic education;
Last edited by Unibot on Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unibot
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:59 pm

Edits have been made to 2(H) and 3, in reaction to Sionis and Charlotte's nods and prods...
Last edited by Unibot on Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sionis Prioratus
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Sionis Prioratus » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:01 pm

Unibot wrote:3. Further requires that member nations attempt to provide citizens of a nation the aforementioned education in the fullest possible form for any citizen that is mentally incapable, neurologically undeveloped, or otherwise in capable of learning or retaining within reason the fundamental aspects to a basic education;

Much better; however I do think "attempt" is too "avoidy", I would go with something like "ensure"

Yours,

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Postby Grays Harbor » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:02 pm

Unibot wrote:
Grays Harbor wrote:It is our opinion that curriculum and requirements are best determined at school board level, not as a WA resolution.

Thats honorable, but what is asked of schooling in this resolution is fairly basic, and I'd say fair. This resolution is mainly for those nations that cannot determine their curriculum or requirements at a school board level because they cannot economically support primary education at all.

Which asks the question: If they cannot afford primary education in the first place, how is placing several layers of requirements on them going to help? What services shall they have to cut in order afford these mandates? Police? Fire Protection? Social Services? Public Transportation? Which ones?
Last edited by Grays Harbor on Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Not Ta'veren

Unibot
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:09 pm

Grays Harbor wrote:
Unibot wrote:

Which asks the question: If they cannot afford primary education in the first place, how is placing several layers of requirements on them going to help? What services shall they have to cut in order afford these mandates? Police? Fire Protection? Social Services? Public Transportation? Which ones?

The donations are supplied so that a nation can afford primary education, not so they have to cut funding in other important sectors.

Edit:

Possibly something along these lines could be decent...
4. Establishes a division of the WA General Accounting Office (GAO), entitled the Global Initiative for Basic Education (GIBE) to oversee the creation, accuracy and continuance of a registrar that lists all member nations that are currently deemed to be genuinely unable to economically support the requirements of basic edification based on this document without atleast allocating an unreasonably large portion of their existing funding for civil and public services;
Last edited by Unibot on Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Postby Grays Harbor » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:17 pm

So, more WA handouts, then.

Not Ta'veren

Sionis Prioratus
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Sionis Prioratus » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:22 pm

Grays Harbor wrote:So, more WA handouts, then.

Sarah Harper is paying for (most of) it, why worry?

Unibot
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:33 pm

6. Declares that any donation from the Global Initiative must be used by each recipient nation exclusively to comply with this legislation;

^^ I forgot to include this, it has now been added.

Also I have a question for those in the know, or the Secretariat.. if a member nation receives a donation from the WA, could they just immediately leave the WA and use the money to buy guns for child soldiers, and arms dealing? And if so, is it legal to require the reimbursement of the donation (if financially and socially possible) before leaving the WA?

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Postby Grays Harbor » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:35 pm

Unibot wrote:
6. Declares that any donation from the Global Initiative must be used by each recipient nation exclusively to comply with this legislation;

^^ I forgot to include this, it has now been added.

Also I have a question for those in the know, or the Secretariat.. if a member nation receives a donation from the WA, could they just immediately leave the WA and use the money to buy guns for child soldiers, and arms dealing? And if so, is it legal to require the reimbursement of the donation (if financially and socially possible) before leaving the WA?

It is our understanding that non members nations are not bound by anything the WA decree's, whether they were a member at one time or not, so it would appear that they could indeed use the money as they wish for whatever purpose upon exiting the WA.

Not Ta'veren

Krioval
Minister

Founded: Jan 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Krioval » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:55 pm

The General Assembly,

Alarmed at the lack of a primary education for children in numerous member nations,

Recognizing that a lack of basic and untainted education prevents literacy, political freedoms, cosmopolitanism and social, scientific and economic development,

Determining that certain nations have misguidedly chosen to not provide their citizens with an education because of taxation allocations or reductions or because their nation cannot genuinely support a proper education due to their nation’s current economic status,

Is it the intent of the preamble to appeal most strongly to economically leftist policies? The Imperial Chiefdom could imagine that a stronger argument would be to emphasize the importance of education on national economic prosperity regardless of economic (or political) system.

Hereby Solemnly:

1. Defines an “Age of Basic Edification” for a citizen as the older or more biologically applicable of the following…
(a) The age of minority in their nation of inhabitance;

Age of minority could refer to birth (and does, in Krioval). We think that "age of majority" might work better here.

(b) The average age for the conclusion of brain or cerebral development in the specific citizen’s species;

Fine.

2. Requires that before a citizen of a nation is older then their Age of Basic Edification, they must have been provided with at least a basic education in…
(a) The official or popular language, and literature of their nation;
(b) Mathematics -- particularly summation, and other arithmetic and fundamental operations;
(c) Political ideologies that have been nationally and internationally accepted;
(d) Their nation of residence’s governmental policies, and process;
(e) Social and political history of their national community and the world abroad;
(f) Common spiritual or religious practices and belief systems in their nation of residence;
(g) Ecological, environmental and natural sciences;
(h) Any sphere of geography, astrography, social sciences, theology or philosophy that could provide more understanding and potentially compassion for their international neighbors;

"Astrography"? As in, "astronomy" or "cosmology"? Otherwise, fine.

3. Further requires that member nations attempt to provide citizens of a nation the aforementioned education in the fullest possible form for any citizen that is mentally incapable, neurologically undeveloped, or otherwise incapable of learning or retaining within reason the fundamental aspects to a basic education;

Fine, but unnecessary. The resolution simply mandates that education be provided; nations are required to try this based on clause 2. That said, its inclusion is harmless.

4. Establishes a division of the WA General Accounting Office (GAO), entitled the Global Initiative for Basic Education (GIBE) to oversee the creation, accuracy and continuance of a registrar that lists all member nations that are currently deemed to be genuinely unable to economically support the requirements of basic edification based on this document;

5. Demands that the Global Initiative organize and provide sufficient financial support from the General Fund for all member nations on the aforementioned registrar;

7. Affirms the right of any citizen to leave their nation on their own accord to receive an education outside of their nation;

8. Encourages further legislation on the rights and education of the mentally and physical handicapped;

No major objections here. We might question the need for an international registry for funding education in poor nations; WA resolutions sling money around without it being necessary to describe it in detail.

Ambassador Darvek-kan Tyvok
Imperial Chiefdom of Krioval

Glen-Rhodes
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 25, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Glen-Rhodes » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:08 pm

Unibot wrote:
Glen-Rhodes wrote:I expected something with more... bang, Ambassador Harper. Most of the language in this proposal is optional.

BANG!

I wouldn't be so sure, Ambassador.

2. Requires that before a citizen of a nation is older then their Age of Basic Edification, they must have been provided with at least a basic education in…
(b) Mathematics -- particularly summation, and other arithmetic and fundamental operations;
(c) Political ideologies that have been nationally and internationally accepted;
(e) Social and political history of their national community and the world abroad;
(f) Common spiritual or religious practices and belief systems in their nation of residence;
(h) Any sphere of geography, astrography, social sciences, theology or philosophy that could provide more understanding and potentially compassion for their international neighbors;

The basic question here is "why?" Why must a government teach about political ideologies? Why must a government teach about religion? Why must a government be directed to teach compassion for their international neighbors? This proposal seems very politicized to me. It does not the provide the best possible education, respecting the cultural differences and systematic differences of nations and their educational systems.

[float=left]Dr. Bradford William Castro

Ambassador-at-Large,
Permanent Chief of Mission for World Assembly affairs,
the Commonwealth of Glen-Rhodes
[/float][float=right]Image[/float]
Last edited by Glen-Rhodes on Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unibot
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:12 pm

Krioval wrote:

The General Assembly,

Alarmed at the lack of a primary education for children in numerous member nations,

Recognizing that a lack of basic and untainted education prevents literacy, political freedoms, cosmopolitanism and social, scientific and economic development,

Determining that certain nations have misguidedly chosen to not provide their citizens with an education because of taxation allocations or reductions or because their nation cannot genuinely support a proper education due to their nation’s current economic status,

Is it the intent of the preamble to appeal most strongly to economically leftist policies? The Imperial Chiefdom could imagine that a stronger argument would be to emphasize the importance of education on national economic prosperity regardless of economic (or political) system.

Right, I'll keep the current recognizing clause for leftists, and forge a new clause to appeal to economic liberals.. and reword the determining clause (maybe).

Hereby Solemnly:

1. Defines an “Age of Basic Edification” for a citizen as the older or more biologically applicable of the following…
(a) The age of minority in their nation of inhabitance;

Age of minority could refer to birth (and does, in Krioval). We think that "age of majority" might work better here.

Yep, once again I've mistaken the two.

"Astrography"? As in, "astronomy" or "cosmology"? Otherwise, fine.

From here > Astrography...
As`trog´ra`phy
n.1. The art of describing or delineating the stars; a description or mapping of the heavens.
Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary, published 1913 by C. & G. Merriam Co.

4. Establishes a division of the WA General Accounting Office (GAO), entitled the Global Initiative for Basic Education (GIBE) to oversee the creation, accuracy and continuance of a registrar that lists all member nations that are currently deemed to be genuinely unable to economically support the requirements of basic edification based on this document;

5. Demands that the Global Initiative organize and provide sufficient financial support from the General Fund for all member nations on the aforementioned registrar;

7. Affirms the right of any citizen to leave their nation on their own accord to receive an education outside of their nation;

8. Encourages further legislation on the rights and education of the mentally and physical handicapped;

No major objections here. We might question the need for an international registry for funding education in poor nations; WA resolutions sling money around without it being necessary to describe it in detail.

Ambassador Darvek-kan Tyvok
Imperial Chiefdom of Krioval

Yep, but the money slinging is going to be the prime objection, so I think it would be a good idea to cover our bases on that department and make the donation process be as methodical, and painless as possible on paper.
Last edited by Unibot on Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mousebumples
Game Moderator

Postby Mousebumples » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:26 pm

Unibot wrote:Determining that certain nations have misguidedly chosen to not provide their citizens with an education because of taxation allocations or reductions or because their nation cannot genuinely support a proper education due to their nation’s current economic status,

And nations who decided to not provide their citizens with an education for other reasons are not misguided?

Unibot wrote:(f) Common spiritual or religious practices and belief systems in their nation of residence;

I'd recommend adding something along the lines of "if any" as some nations may be agnostic or atheistic; as such, this clause would not apply to them.

Unibot wrote:5. Demands that the Global Initiative organize and provide sufficient financial support from the General Fund for all member nations on the aforementioned registrar;

Is specifically mentioning the General Fund here a HoC violation? I would think you could excise where the support is coming from without losing any meaning.

Unibot wrote:8. Encourages further legislation on the rights and education of the mentally and physical handicapped;

I do like this clause - if only because it allows for further developments in this sphere.

Best wishes on your future revisions,
Leader of the Mouse-a-rific Mousetastic Moderator Mousedom of Mousebumples
Past WA Delegate for Europeia & Monkey Island
Proud Member of UNOG
I'm an "adorably marvelous NatSov" - Mallorea and Riva
GA Resolutions (sorted by category) | Why Repeal? | Reppy's Sig Workshop

Unibot
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:28 pm

Glen-Rhodes wrote:

The basic question here is "why?" Why must a government teach about political ideologies? Why must a government teach about religion? Why must a government be directed to teach compassion for their international neighbors? This proposal seems very politicized to me. It does not the provide the best possible education, respecting the cultural differences and systematic differences of nations and their educational systems.

Ambassador-at-Large,

Being taught how your nation's government and others work seems like a fairly intellegent and honorable thing to do, it is the way of totalitarian and Canadian governments regimes to do otherwise.

Understanding a brief background and basis on religion seems like the bare minimum one can do, you can interpret that line meaning many things..
(a) Teaching children how religions form, and progress. (An anthropological view)
(b) Teaching children about various religious beliefs. (A cosmopolitan view)
(c) Teaching children specifically about a certain belief system. (A theological view).

..Religion, however theological, scientific or cosmopolitan in nature as you wish to interpret it, should be taught or else a lack of understanding will form -- and misunderstanding is one of the critical evils to be fought by an international entity such as the World Assembly.

Which brings us to your last point, compassion is not to be enforced, understanding from social sciences for other cultures should be taught, compassion is a potential ramification. I didn't realize you were so steadfast against international understanding and compassion, Dr. Castro. A little understanding brought about by education can save a lot more lives than a blindly nationalistic education suffering from tunnel-vision.
Last edited by Unibot on Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Glen-Rhodes
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Glen-Rhodes » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:41 pm

Unibot wrote: I didn't realize you were so steadfast against international understanding and compassion, Dr. Castro. A little understanding brought about by education can save a lot more lives than a blindly nationalistic education suffering from tunnel-vision.

I do believe it is a noble cause, but I do not think an education mandate is where it ought to take place. We should be aiming to provide an education for everybody, regardless of what that education entails. For instance, I don't particularly care if children are being taught that a supernatural being created the universe, so long as they are learning what gravity and red-shift is. We shouldn't be politicizing and proselytizing World Assembly educational mandates.

Ambassador-at-Large,

Unibot
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:55 pm

Glen-Rhodes wrote:
Unibot wrote: I didn't realize you were so steadfast against international understanding and compassion, Dr. Castro. A little understanding brought about by education can save a lot more lives than a blindly nationalistic education suffering from tunnel-vision.

I do believe it is a noble cause, but I do not think an education mandate is where it ought to take place. We should be aiming to provide an education for everybody, regardless of what that education entails. For instance, I don't particularly care if children are being taught that a supernatural being created the universe, so long as they are learning what gravity and red-shift is. We shouldn't be politicizing and proselytizing World Assembly educational mandates.

Ambassador-at-Large,

Education is about understanding, more so than even just scientific knowledge, ambassador.

An existing proposal guarantees access to science in schools, Ambassador. Understanding religion is as important as understanding advanced physics if one looks at the international community as a whole and not as a microcosm governed by scientific laws and numeration. Access to spirituality, or atleast an understanding of religion as a concept, is of equal importance to the harmony of international communities as understanding advanced physics (even more so, considering it is physics that is used to anchor weaponized satellites into the sky and coordinating the trajectories of nuclear weaponry).

It is also the act of totalitarian regimes to demonize religion (that reminds me... this education should be a fair, and accurate portrayal, shouldn't it? :p )

Glen-Rhodes
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Glen-Rhodes » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:01 pm

Unibot wrote:Understanding religion is as important as understanding advanced physics if one looks at the international community as a whole and not as a microcosm governed by scientific laws and numeration. Access to spirituality, or atleast an understanding of religion as a concept, is of equal importance to the harmony of international communities as understanding advanced physics (even more so, considering it is physics that is used to anchor weaponized satellites into the sky and coordinating the trajectories of nuclear weaponry).

So says the Ambassador from Unibot. But the World Assembly is not a homogeneous organization. There are certain cultural variables that one must remember to respect. The World Assembly should not be excessively entangled in the education systems of its member states. You may not like that some cultures think the world works differently, but that does not give you a right to push your views on them. (Using 'your' generally, of course.) And believe me, I detest "Access to Science in Schools" for its inherently prejudiced view.

The only thing the World Assembly ought to concern itself with is if citizens are getting an education that best suits them. If that means something wildly different than what you think an appropriate education is, then so be it. It works for their culture, for their society.

Unibot wrote:It is also the act of totalitarian regimes to demonize religion (that reminds me... this education should be a fair, and accurate portrayal, shouldn't it?

Glen-Rhodes is an officially atheist country. We also happen to be an outstanding example of democracy, if I should say so myself.

Ambassador-at-Large,
Last edited by Glen-Rhodes on Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unibot
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:12 pm

Glen-Rhodes wrote:
Unibot wrote:Understanding religion is as important as understanding advanced physics if one looks at the international community as a whole and not as a microcosm governed by scientific laws and numeration. Access to spirituality, or atleast an understanding of religion as a concept, is of equal importance to the harmony of international communities as understanding advanced physics (even more so, considering it is physics that is used to anchor weaponized satellites into the sky and coordinating the trajectories of nuclear weaponry).

So says the Ambassador from Unibot. But the World Assembly is not a homogeneous organization. There are certain cultural variables that one must remember to respect. The World Assembly should not be excessively entangled in the education systems of its member states. You may not like that some cultures think the world works differently, but that does not give you a right to push your views on them. (Using 'your' generally, of course.) And believe me, I detest "Access to Science in Schools" for its inherently prejudiced view.

The only thing the World Assembly ought to concern itself with is if citizens are getting an education that best suits them. If that means something wildly different than what you think an appropriate education is, then so be it. It works for their culture, for their society.

Unibot wrote:It is also the act of totalitarian regimes to demonize religion (that reminds me... this education should be a fair, and accurate portrayal, shouldn't it?

Glen-Rhodes is an officially atheist country. We also happen to be an outstanding example of democracy, if I should say so myself.

Ambassador-at-Large,

I pushed my views on the WA when I authored a resolution on keeping Outer Space clean of garbage, I don't see what is so different here.

Saying citizens have the right to an education, then leaving it nebulous from there, is well... silly, Dr. Castro. What if Unibot deems that this 'education' will be hard labor, and Uranium Mining 101, twenty five hours a week? Extreme Cultural Relativism with potentially terrible consequences or an education promoting understanding and cultural relativism? Take your pick. I know I have. This proposal obligates nations to fulfill a mildly generalized, and bare minimum of an education criteria -- explain to me how it conflicts with your nation's curriculum? I had totalitarian regimes, tunnel-vision technocracies, and primal communities in mind when I wrote this proposal.

Kryozerkia
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Kryozerkia » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:14 pm

Unibot wrote:Education is about understanding, more so than even just scientific knowledge, ambassador.

An existing proposal guarantees access to science in schools, Ambassador. Understanding religion is as important as understanding advanced physics if one looks at the international community as a whole and not as a microcosm governed by scientific laws and numeration. Access to spirituality, or atleast an understanding of religion as a concept, is of equal importance to the harmony of international communities as understanding advanced physics (even more so, considering it is physics that is used to anchor weaponized satellites into the sky and coordinating the trajectories of nuclear weaponry).

It is also the act of totalitarian regimes to demonize religion (that reminds me... this education should be a fair, and accurate portrayal, shouldn't it? :p )

IC:

The Grand Delegate Weasel briefly considers the points raised by the Ambassador to Unibot when he suddenly finds himself being thoroughly nibbled. Hissing indignantly he turned to the source and found himself pulled from the chair and put on the floor as the previous Grand Weasel Delegate took over.

What's all this now? Well, well, well, looks like we got ourselves someone who don't seem to understand that it don't take just one of them fancy-pants totalitarian regimes to de-mon-ise "reeleegi-on". Never did have much use for it. Ye ol' administrations saw to that. They never put up with that, and now ya'll come in, gun blazin' demandin' we teach some kind of heathen "ree-leegi-on"? The Red Flag Administration is a right ol' democracy it is. We just don't condone no fancy-smancy "reeleegi-on". Or 'theology' as ya'll callin' now. Still mighty similar, I reckon. What'd our weasel-lings stand to learn from such poppycock? It'd be of zero benefit, I tell ya what.

The Grand Weasel Delegate reads through the list briefly while muttering to himself, his whiskers twitching irritably.

Jumpin' jimminy crickets on a three legged dog burin' shit on a frozen pond. Provision two goes too far into micromanaging what must be taught. Especially sub-clauses (f) and (h), why so much emphasis on this "reeleegi-on" thing? It don't account for nations which ain't got no stinkin' fancy-pants "reeleegi-on".

The Grand Weasel Delegate snaps his fancy-smancy suspenders.

His tail is then pounced on by the other delegate. He is promptly kicked out of his seat and the other delegate, the silver-tongued delegate.

Please excuse my esteemed colleague. He was not suppose to sit in on this. He was told that this was left to me. Anyway, that side, he does raise a valid point. Why should non-religious and atheistic nations be forced to include religion in its teachings?

ooc: Yes, I roleplay a nation of batshit insane cheese-loving weasels. I'm just having a bit of fun here. ^_^
Last edited by Kryozerkia on Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Problem to Report?
Game-side: Getting Help
Forum-side: Moderation
Technical issue/suggestion: Technical
A-well-a, don't you know about the bird
♦ Well, everybody knows that the bird is the word ♦
♦ A-well-a, bird, bird, b-bird's the word

Get the cheese to Sickbay

"Ok folks, show's over... Nothing to see here... Show's OH MY GOD! A horrible plane crash! Hey everybody, get a load of this flaming wreckage! Come on, crowd around, crowd around, don't be shy, crowd around!" -- Chief Wiggum

Unibot
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:22 pm

Kryozerkia wrote:
Unibot wrote:Education is about understanding, more so than even just scientific knowledge, ambassador.

Please excuse my esteemed colleague. He was not suppose to sit in on this. He was told that this was left to me. Anyway, that side, he does raise a valid point. Why should non-religious and atheistic nations be forced to include religion in its teachings?

ooc: Yes, I roleplay a nation of batshit insane cheese-loving weasels. I'm just having a bit of fun here. ^_^

Non-religious and atheistic nations can include religion in their teachings in a variety of ways than just exclusively theologically, anthropology classes are a particularly good way of doing so while still separating the classroom or students from belief and relying on observation and critical analysis instead.

An understanding of religion even in its most abstract form provides an understanding of those who believe in their faith that may otherwise be misunderstood by aggressively atheistic nations. We're not talking about mandating that we teach our children straight from the good book, and beat them into believing in the divine walrus ... unless you want to, that is.
Last edited by Unibot on Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives