NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] Disaster Preparedness Act

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.
Topid
Minister

Founded: Dec 29, 2008
Capitalizt

[PASSED] Disaster Preparedness Act

Postby Topid » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:53 am

Now known as GA #81!
Disaster Preparedness Act
International Security | Mild

The General Assembly,

Defining ‘disaster’ as an event that causes massive loss of life or property damage,

Noting the vast amounts of wealth spent annually by member states, NGOs, and the World Assembly itself in providing humanitarian aid after disasters,

Recognizing that some of the loss of life and damage to property could be avoided if a nation had some warning a disaster was pending,

Seeking to prevent the loss of as many lives or the damage of as much property as possible when disasters occur,

Hereby:

I. Establishes the Global Organization for Public Safety (GOPS) to which shall be tasked with monitoring public hazards,
(a) Defines ‘public hazard’ as a condition, event, or situation that could become a disaster or makes a disaster possible or likely to occur,
(b) The GOPS shall operate:
(1) Meteorological centers to monitor the weather,
(2) Seismological centers to monitor risks such as earthquakes, tsunamis, and volcanic activity,

II. Authorizes the GOPS to inspect structures such as dams, levees, and high-rise buildings in urban areas, which could cause disasters if the structure was to fail,
(a) All the nations to be effected shall be alerted if there is a likely failure of the structure,

III. Mandates GOPS shall issue warnings to national governments when they suspect a disaster is pending, and shall also notify the various NGOs, WA Organizations, and National Governments which frequently send humanitarian aid, in the hopes the aid will arrive sooner if advanced notice is given;

IV. Declares member states maintain the right to operate their own disaster alert system,
(a) Such an organization must share all information about possible disasters with the GOPS,

V. Mandates member states to respond to alerts in a manner that will protect the lives of as many civilians as possible,
(a) If the GOPS finds a member state to have ignored an alert, or responded insubstantially to an alert, the member state shall be mandated to pay the victims of the disaster an amount determined by the GOPS.

[OOC: Yes, it is me again. :p
This is actually the first GA thing I wrote, but I decided it wouldn't fit into any catagory. Earlier I stumbled across UN90 (from way before my time) and saw that they did something similiar in this catagory. So hopefully it still fits.]
Last edited by Topid on Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:05 pm, edited 24 times in total.

Charlotte Ryberg
The Muse of the Westcountry

Founded: Mar 14, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:32 am

Honoured ambassador, There are no centralised alert systems in the world: that is true, but something is missing: do you think that member states should report known disasters risk assessments to this new committee?

Do also take note that under GA#51:
Member states are required to:
a) Have reasonable and adequate action plans to prepare for, cope with and recover from a variety of foreseeable and realistic disasters;
b) Evaluate and test developed action plans at reasonable and regular intervals and implement all improvements in that the evaluation suggests that can be reasonably accomplished;
c) Stockpile reasonable and adequate supplies for humanitarian aid distribution to civilians to cover immediate and urgent needs in accordance to the developed action plans;

However, the great worldwide disaster alert system would be plausible, but member states should adopt a common alert system but be allowed to keep their alert systems too. Just a thought there to start off.

Also, I note you have mentioned natural disasters, but man-made disasters need to be included in the great worldwide disaster alert system programme. Finally, establishing a committee is not what a resolution should just do, but it is possible to mix the committee clauses with committee-independent clauses as the IPU and the IHACC does, just make sure member states must do something that is independent of a committee.

Yours etc,
Last edited by Charlotte Ryberg on Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Topid
Minister

Capitalizt

Postby Topid » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:59 am

Charlotte Ryberg wrote:Honoured ambassador, There are no centralised alert systems in the world: that is true, but something is missing: do you think that member states should report known disasters risk assessments to this new committee?

Well the last part of the resolution:

"IV. Member states are free to operate their own alert system for natural disasters,
(a) Such an organization is mandated to share all findings with the IOMNH."

Would handle that, no?

Charlotte Ryberg wrote:Do also take note that under GA#51:
Member states are required to:
a) Have reasonable and adequate action plans to prepare for, cope with and recover from a variety of foreseeable and realistic disasters;
b) Evaluate and test developed action plans at reasonable and regular intervals and implement all improvements in that the evaluation suggests that can be reasonably accomplished;
c) Stockpile reasonable and adequate supplies for humanitarian aid distribution to civilians to cover immediate and urgent needs in accordance to the developed action plans;

However, the great worldwide disaster alert system would be plausible, but member states should adopt a common alert system but be allowed to keep their alert systems too. Just a thought there to start off.

They are allowed to keep their alert system by the above-quoted lines.

Charlotte Ryberg wrote:Also, I note you have mentioned natural disasters, but man-made disasters need to be included in the great worldwide disaster alert system programme.

I guess I'm not understanding this point... Do you mean expand the alert system to include acts such as terrorism and such?

Charlotte Ryberg wrote:Finally, establishing a committee is not what a resolution should just do, but it is possible to mix the committee clauses with committee-independent clauses as the IPU and the IHACC does, just make sure member states must do something that is independent of a committee.

I'll see what I can think up.

Charlotte Ryberg

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:39 am

(a) Such an organization is mandated to share all findings with the IOMNH.

The question is, which organization? meteorological or security?

Topid wrote:I guess I'm not understanding this point... Do you mean expand the alert system to include acts such as terrorism and such?

It is the expanding of the system to specifically alert any imminent threats of nuclear accidents, whereas there is enough time for evacuation. Nuclear Disaster Response Act dies not seem to have prior alert systems.

Topid
Minister

Capitalizt

Postby Topid » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:08 pm

Charlotte Ryberg wrote:
(a) Such an organization is mandated to share all findings with the IOMNH.

The question is, which organization? meteorological or security?

The current draft, meteorological (and the other sciences mentioned). But that was only because the entire resolution only dealt with that. I'll change that.

But, as far as alerts for security as opposed to threats to public safety (which is all this resolution is now) go, I think that would be a great addition to this proposal, if it hasn't already been done (and I would think it had by now). I'll include something in the re-write about that, but I think it will require a lot of work to get something like that hammered out.

Charlotte Ryberg wrote:
Topid wrote:I guess I'm not understanding this point... Do you mean expand the alert system to include acts such as terrorism and such?

It is the expanding of the system to specifically alert any imminent threats of nuclear accidents, whereas there is enough time for evacuation. Nuclear Disaster Response Act dies not seem to have prior alert systems.

Ah. Yes this could be useful.

What about inspecting the safety and integrity of certain types of structures whose failure could lead to a disaster? That seems like a good addition. Right now I'm thinking of nuclear plants and large dams, what other types of things should I include in the re-write?
Last edited by Topid on Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
AKA Weed

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:01 am

Topid wrote:What about inspecting the safety and integrity of certain types of structures whose failure could lead to a disaster? That seems like a good addition. Right now I'm thinking of nuclear plants and large dams, what other types of things should I include in the re-write?

Offshore oil rigs?

Levees around any coastal cities that are actually largely below sea-level, especially if they're in areas where hurricanes are likely?
Last edited by Bears Armed on Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Charlotte Ryberg

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:22 am

Bears Armed wrote:
Topid wrote:What about inspecting the safety and integrity of certain types of structures whose failure could lead to a disaster? That seems like a good addition. Right now I'm thinking of nuclear plants and large dams, what other types of things should I include in the re-write?

Offshore oil rigs?

Levees around any coastal cities that are actually largely below sea-level, especially if they're in areas where hurricanes are likely?

That explains why we need an alert system so evacuations in such situations can take place: however, evacuations under workplace may come under the Workplace Safety Standards Act (GA#7), so this draft should aim for something for the general populace.

Flibbleites
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jan 02, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Flibbleites » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:45 am

Bears Armed wrote:

Offshore oil rigs?

Molasses tanks?

Topid
Minister

Capitalizt

Postby Topid » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:09 pm

OOC: Sorry guys haven't forgotten. It's homecoming week / day before my ACT / week back after 1 week of snow days (gotta catch up with schedule in all classes). My work load is big now, and I have other NS priorities.
AKA Weed

Ambassador of Topid
Civil Servant

Founded: Feb 02, 2010
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Ambassador of Topid » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:00 pm

Ahem, the ambassadors have my apologies for the delay! I have not introduced myself here, I am the new ambassador of Topid, unknown ambassador. For security reasons, my name shall be hidden from the transcripts.

I've updated the draft my predecessor left. I hope it addresses most of the suggestions you have voiced. I look forward to hammering out the problems!
Signed,
Unnamed Ambassador
The Secretive Ambassador of Topid

Krioval
Minister

Founded: Jan 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Krioval » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:48 pm

OOC: I think you'd be interested in NSUN Res. 100, and while Groot Gouda is no longer with us, it might do to list that nation as a coauthor, or at least as inspiration for a new version of the "Natural Disaster Act".

Topid
Minister

Capitalizt

Postby Topid » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:59 pm

Krioval wrote:OOC: I think you'd be interested in NSUN Res. 100, and while Groot Gouda is no longer with us, it might do to list that nation as a coauthor, or at least as inspiration for a new version of the "Natural Disaster Act".

OOC: I hadn't even heard of that resolution before! :)

1) Is that okay to say?
2) Is that okay to say even if it's not true? (Can't really say it was an inspiration if I didn't read it till now.)
3) Shouldn't I actually list Grosseschnauzer because I did actually look at his resolution, and Groot appears to have based his resolution of Gross' UN90?

EDIT: If this was the SC and we could list multiple people there would be no problem. But for some reason that's a major taboo here. So, which should I list? The one I actually used and appears to have come up with the idea first, or the one whose proposal looks the most like mine even though I hadn't seen it till now?
Last edited by Topid on Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Krioval
Minister

Founded: Jan 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Krioval » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:41 pm

Topid wrote:1) Is that okay to say?
2) Is that okay to say even if it's not true? (Can't really say it was an inspiration if I didn't read it till now.)
3) Shouldn't I actually list Grosseschnauzer because I did actually look at his resolution, and Groot appears to have based his resolution of Gross' UN90?

EDIT: If this was the SC and we could list multiple people there would be no problem. But for some reason that's a major taboo here. So, which should I list? The one I actually used and appears to have come up with the idea first, or the one whose proposal looks the most like mine even though I hadn't seen it till now?

OOC:

1) Sure, but now you can't claim ignorance now. :p
2) Sure, but the two proposals/resolutions do almost the same thing in a very similar way.
3) I've never cited a historic resolution before, so I suppose you could pick whoever you'd like. I'm not sure if you can just cite the historic resolution as reference, eliminating the need for coauthorship. If it's legal to cite a prior resolution from the NSUN, I'd go for that - nobody ends up left out or upset. If not, I'd pick a nation and list that nation as inspiring yours through historic legislation, or something similar.

Topid
Minister

Capitalizt

Postby Topid » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:30 pm

OOC: Okay Krovial, after actually reading the other proposal (I didn't have time before) Gross is listed as one of the co-authors (I don't know if it was legal then, or what but UN100 got more than one :)). So, that one should be okay.

I'll list the CTEd nation as a co-author then? Seems to me there should be a better way for that...
Last edited by Topid on Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Quintessence of Dust
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 21, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Quintessence of Dust » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:34 pm

OOC: Topid, I have some comments on your proposal I'd like to make tomorrow, but for now:

1. You have absolutely no obligation to list someone as a 'coauthor' if they're not - in fact, it would be wrong to do so.
2. 'Alertness' has a really weird valence to me, like it's Lassie noticing a boy falling down a well or something. Is there a better word? Like 'Response' (which would synch nicely with the two other Disaster Response Acts the WA has passed)?
The fight is long and tough, but together, we can make it. -- José Carlos Mariátegui

Two kinds of pork in one soup? Bring it on. -- Christina Hendricks

Topid
Minister

Capitalizt

Postby Topid » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:40 pm

I don't really know how to comment on a body that died long before my nation did IC, so, I'm sticking OOC.
Quintessence of Dust wrote:OOC: Topid, I have some comments on your proposal I'd like to make tomorrow, but for now:

1. You have absolutely no obligation to list someone as a 'coauthor' if they're not - in fact, it would be wrong to do so.

But they are right, or proposals are very very similar. I didn't know the UN had done something like this (UN died months before I was born, as did Jolt-Forums, and I have only read some of the major UN resolutions).

I'm just thinking it's still got to be plagiarism to steal someones idea even if you didn't know you were doing it.
2. 'Alertness' has a really weird valence to me, like it's Lassie noticing a boy falling down a well or something. Is there a better word? Like 'Response' (which would synch nicely with the two other Disaster Response Acts the WA has passed)?

Yeah, that is a weird word. 'Response' happens after a disaster, most of this resolution deals with pre-disaster preparations. What about Global Disaster Preparedness Act?

EDIT: And of course I look forward to reading your comments.
Last edited by Topid on Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ambassador of Topid
Civil Servant

Postby Ambassador of Topid » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:26 pm

Ahem...
Are there any more comments?

I think surely there is much more to be improved here, but if not submission will occur this weekend.
Last edited by Ambassador of Topid on Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Signed,
Unnamed Ambassador

Topid
Minister

Capitalizt

Postby Topid » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:35 am

OOC: This was pushed off the first page again, it has been three days since anyone commented... I will submit if the drafting stage is over.
AKA Weed

Topid
Minister

Capitalizt

Postby Topid » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:00 pm

Greetings Ambassadors of the world! After six days of inactivity in the drafting room I've decided this proposal's drafting phase is over!

I have submitted this resolution, and I now respectfully ask for all delegates to consider approving. (I've telegramed several already!)

OOC: Yeah... 6 days there was no point in waiting. Also, the title was too long, had to cut 'Global' out.
Last edited by Topid on Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topid
Minister

Capitalizt

Postby Topid » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:55 pm

Quorum met and still no comments here... :shock: EDIT: Although I did meet quorum after only 8 hours which is a record for me.

Thank you to all the ambassadors who have helped me get to this point! Hopefully this proposal will remain above the level of approval needed until it comes to vote! We have a long wait ahead of us, this is a rather long line I find myself in.
Last edited by Topid on Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mysterior
Political Columnist

Founded: Feb 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Mysterior » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:09 am

Greetings Esteemed Tangible Ambassadors,

This proposal has a number of glaringly extant problems, which the barely visible government of Mysterior cannot accept in current form, listed below.
(b) The GOPS shall operate:
(1) Meteorological centers to monitor the weather,
(2) Seismological centers to monitor risks such as earthquakes, tsunamis, and volcanic activity,

This is wasteful. As referenced later in the proposal, nations (can) already operate their own such services. WA funding, ultimately sourced from member nations, should not be directed towards operating completely redundant earth science stations if domestically run stations are already to report to GOPS in the event of emergency. We expend untold mysteries to keep such facilities within this plane of existence, and do not feel it is fair that we should pay for them twice.

II. Authorizes the GOPS to inspect structures such as dams, levees, and high-rise buildings in urban areas, which could cause disasters if the structure was to fail,
(a) All the nations to be effected shall be alerted if there is a likely failure of the structure,
emphasis added.
We have three objections to this section.
First, Mysterior is a democratic nation. Inspection of private property by government officials is carefully regulated by domestic law so as not to infringe upon the rights of the owner. In many circumstances, owners are within their rights not to extend an invitation for the government to enter their premises. This proposal lacks the rigid safeguards enshrined within our own laws. Unless this proposal includes some assurance that this be done in accordance with domestic laws regarding government inspection, and indeed, unless GOPS inspectors are defined in the proposal as agents of each country's own government, Mysterior cannot accept this infringement upon the rights of Mysterior's people.

Second, some sites of military significance cannot reasonably be expected to open their doors to inspectors reporting to a foreign government. Barely audible debate on whether it is acceptable for Mysterior to build and operate both civilian and military nuclear reactors has been ongoing for minutes (which may as well be centuries in our home realm). Our tiny nation does, however, certainly live under the constant specter of invasion. If we were to build military nuclear reactors, inspection by any foreign agency would be untenable. Nevertheless, we fully appreciate the danger that radiation poses to the tangible organisms in this plane. We would, for example, accept radiation detection equipment in the grounds and at the periphery of those nuclear sites that are disclosed to the world, should we choose to go down this route. If the proposal can be redrafted to accept that full inspection of facilities of a sensitive nature cannot be allowed by member nations, and instead allow for sensing equipment to be operated by GOPS at the boundaries of high security areas to at least guarantee containment of environmental dangers such as these, Mysterior could accept the proposal.

Third on this same section, Unless the law seeks to create new nations, the misspelling of "affected" is inexcusable for a proposal in quorum. Please rectify this.

IV. Declares member states maintain the right to operate their own disaster alert system,
(a) Such an organization must share all information about possible disasters with the GOPS,

This is open to interpretation. All information about possible disasters? Does that mean all geological datasets, no matter how removed they may be from active seismology? Limiting this to just seismological data would be an error: To take one small example, new research may determine that certain fracture patterns in minerals are predictive of historical high earthquake activity, meaning even mineralogical data could be considered "information about possible disasters".

And yet, making this so broad is also an error: Most geological datasets can be extremely valuable in the right hands. Geological research carried out by Mysterious scientists could be easily obtained by foreign miners. Small countries like my own could have their most valuable land bought up by foreign corporations whose own budgets exceed our own by an order of magnitude. What they can analyse in weeks would take us years.

Therefore, we seek two amendments. First, a total ban on commercial derivatives of GOPS data. GOPS must be totally non-profit, and may not show any accounts receivable on its balance sheets. Second, mandated compulsion by member nations to report anything but imminently significant data to GOPS should be removed.

V. Mandates member states to respond to alerts in a manner that will protect the lives of as many civilians as possible,
(a) If the GOPS finds a member state to have ignored an alert, or responded insubstantially to an alert, the member state shall be mandated to pay the victims of the disaster an amount determined by the GOPS.

In Mysterior, a massive dam exists. It represents the single biggest investments of mysteries in our nation's short history. Below the dam, reside approximately 100,000 barely tangible Mysterious citizens. At current population growth projections, it is estimated that we will not finish paying it off for a year in the local reckoning. Yet the dam guarantees the entire nation food, water, and electricity. It was built in such a way that, excepting deliberate military assault, or meteor strike, it could retain its integrity for a full 28 hours even in the event of the worst predictable natural disaster. Contrast this with one of our outlying cities, Garrrgh, half of which is built very near sea level. Garrrgh's population: 1.2 million. Under the current law, in the event of a natural disaster, Mysterior would be punished for allocating its limited resources to saving the dam, and therefore our economic viability for tens of years, instead of first seeing to our outlying town. We truly applaud the humanist ideals that lead to the proposal being so drafted, but to Mysterious people, a life of prosperity in this realm is more important than a "death" to prevent ruin for the survivors. The 600,000 people potentially affected by a nation-wide natural disaster would sooner choose to be snatched back to our home realm to ensure viability for the remainder, than live out their existence struggling for mysteries to power themselves. An amendment from "possible" to "practicable" would be acceptable to us.
Respectfully,

The barely tangible ethereal ambassador of Mysterior
Last edited by Mysterior on Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ardchoille
Retired Moderator

Founded: Apr 18, 2004
Democratic Socialists

Postby Ardchoille » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:41 am

OOC: Mysterior, your IC diplomat won't know these details, but just letting you-the-player know:

1. Topid can't change anything in the proposal now. Once it's submitted, that's the way it goes to vote.
  2. If the proposal is adopted and becomes a resolution, the only way it can be changed is by repealing it, writing another and getting that passed. WA resolutions can't be amended. Here's why.
  3. Committees are understood to be staffed by the WA Gnomes, who are neutral, unbribable and incorruptible. This is a polite fiction to save fights, hair-splitting and unnecessary words in writing proposals, which have a 3500-character limit (approx). It doesn't stop you RPing that your national sovereignty's been outraged, but if your ambassador abused the committee members it would sound a bit odd to other IC diplomats.
Ideological Bulwark #35
The more scandalous charges were suppressed; the vicar of Christ was accused only of piracy, rape, sodomy, murder and incest. -- Edward Gibbon on the schismatic Pope John XXIII (1410–1415).

Ambassador of Topid
Civil Servant

Postby Ambassador of Topid » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:35 pm

Ardchoille wrote:OOC: Mysterior, your IC diplomat won't know these details, but just letting you-the-player know:

1. Topid can't change anything in the proposal now. Once it's submitted, that's the way it goes to vote.
  2. If the proposal is adopted and becomes a resolution, the only way it can be changed is by repealing it, writing another and getting that passed. WA resolutions can't be amended. Here's why.
  3. Committees are understood to be staffed by the WA Gnomes, who are neutral, unbribable and incorruptible. This is a polite fiction to save fights, hair-splitting and unnecessary words in writing proposals, which have a 3500-character limit (approx). It doesn't stop you RPing that your national sovereignty's been outraged, but if your ambassador abused the committee members it would sound a bit odd to other IC diplomats.

I am in agreement. Ambassadors, I gave six days to comment since writing [posting] the last draft, plenty long enough. Nothing to do now but wait a week and some odd days for this to go to vote.
Last edited by Ambassador of Topid on Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Signed,
Unnamed Ambassador

Hiriaurtung Arororugul
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Mar 03, 2009
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Hiriaurtung Arororugul » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:51 pm

Would this be in the form of direct cash payments to the victims, or some sort of redevelopment aid to the community at-large?
Hiriaurtung Arororugul
WA Ambassador
The People of Aundotutunagir

WARNING! This account only posts in-character and will treat all posts directed at it as in-character as well.

Wyllhelm
Political Columnist

Founded: Mar 02, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Wyllhelm » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:47 am

That last part is the part that really worries me. It says you will have to pay a fee if you don't respond adequately! I find this quite worrisome.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives