NATION

PASSWORD

[Dead] Travel For Cultural Wisdom

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Brotherland
Civil Servant

Founded: Apr 04, 2013
Ex-Nation

[Dead] Travel For Cultural Wisdom

Postby Brotherland » Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:43 am

I have actually proposed this once already, but it was taken down because it apparently did not match the category I assigned to it. What category should this be? Also, any general feedback is welcome.

Description: Recognizing that member nations are entitled to their own sovereignty, as well as the fact that a government’s policies do not necessarily fully represent the beliefs of that country’s people,

Realizing that education, tourism, and tolerance can be substantially advanced if the citizens of member nations, whatever their nationality, were allowed to travel to other member nations freely, within reason, and strictly for the purpose of learning about the culture of other member nations,

The World Assembly grants citizens of all member nations the privilege to travel to any other member nation for the purpose of learning about different cultures.

The World Assembly defines “culture” as: any artwork, music, A/V presentation, written/printed work, architecture, or customs that are unique to a specific nation.

A citizen’s privilege to travel for the purpose of learning about another country’s culture may be revoked or restricted if the traveller is found guilty of any of the following:
1. Breaking the law in the country they are visiting. A traveller is not to be given any type of immunity and is expected to follow the laws and regulations of the country they are visiting.

2. Lacking proper documentation required to enter the country they wish to visit. It is the traveller’s responsibility to make sure they have all the documents they need to enter a country.

3. Being found as an enemy of the state or a suspected terrorist. If a specific person is believed to be an enemy to a country or is a suspected terrorist, a country has the right to deny that person entry, based on the country’s own discretion.

4. Attempting to use this privilege to immigrate. If someone wishes to immigrate to another country, they will still be required to perform the necessary tasks in order to become a legal citizen. Countries have the right to deport those they believe have used this privilege to immigrate illegally.
Last edited by Brotherland on Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:55 am

Brotherland wrote:The World Assembly grants citizens of all member nations the privilege to travel to any other member nation for the purpose of learning about different cultures.

Parsons: What happens if they don't leave? Are you saying that you want to take away our border controls?

Brotherland wrote:A citizen’s privilege to travel for the purpose of learning about another country’s culture may be revoked or restricted if the traveller is found guilty of any of the following:
1. Breaking the law in the country they are visiting. A traveller is not to be given any type of immunity and is expected to follow the laws and regulations of the country they are visiting.

2. Lacking proper documentation required to enter the country they wish to visit. It is the traveller’s responsibility to make sure they have all the documents they need to enter a country.

3. Being found as an enemy of the state or a suspected terrorist. If a specific person is believed to be an enemy to a country or is a suspected terrorist, a country has the right to deny that person entry, based on the country’s own discretion.

4. Attempting to use this privilege to immigrate. If someone wishes to immigrate to another country, they will still be required to perform the necessary tasks in order to become a legal citizen. Countries have the right to deport those they believe have used this privilege to immigrate illegally.

Parsons: Ah! A massive pile of exceptions to deal with the overarching statement above!

'The Democratic Empire has no reason to support any legislation which would sign over our border controls, even marginally, to the World Assembly. We must stand opposed. Furthermore, the Empire cannot recall any category which would fit this proposal, as we are unaware of a International Tourism or Sign-here-to-cede-all-sovereignty category.'

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Brotherland
Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

Postby Brotherland » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:04 am

I guess my meaning was supposed to be that people should still have the opportunity to learn about other cultures first hand without worrying about being discriminated against. I do see your point now that this has been pointed out to me. Can I get any more input about this draft?
Last edited by Brotherland on Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:17 am, edited 2 times in total.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Separatist Peoples » Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:07 am

"Absolutely not. We have no intention of accepting anything less than full retention of authority over our borders. We will be the sole arbiters over who enters and who does not, regardless of any individual's desire for cultural enrichment."

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

Brotherland
Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

Postby Brotherland » Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:20 am

Okay, I understand that this is probably not going to fly. I will probably just consider this one a dud. I think the sentiment was good, but as a whole, it takes too much power away from individual nations. I appreciate the input I received.

Return to General Assembly