NATION

PASSWORD

[Discontinued] Right to Bear Arms 2.0

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.

Would you support this bill?

Yes, in it's current form
13%
Yes, but it needs some adjustments (please list them bellow)
4%
No, this legislation gives too much power to the WA and infringes on our nation's sovereignty
83%

Total votes : 48

Alvisiror
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jun 03, 2012
Ex-Nation

[Discontinued] Right to Bear Arms 2.0

Postby Alvisiror » Wed May 27, 2015 8:15 am

Seeing as the Right to Bear Arms legislation is going to fail Alvisiror wishes to propose an improved version of the bill.
Description: To ensure that all citizens have to right to defend themselves and to own firearms:
Definitions: Firearm - a weapon from which any projectile can be discharged and that is capable of causing serious bodily injury or death to a person, whether it be made professionally or by the individual.
Professionally made - a firearm that is manufactured by an Arms manufacturing business
Arms manufacturing business - business engaged in the manufacturing of firearms and/or ammunition for purposes of sale or distribution
Individually made or improvised - a firearm manufactured by someone other than an arms manufacturing business and is typically constructed by adapting existing materials.

Mandates:

Background checks and psychiatric evaluations (or equivalent) must be mandatory for all wishing to purchase firearms, whether it be for collection or self defence. This is to prevent mentally unstable individuals, terrorists and other potential criminals from having access to weapons.

That background and psychiatric evaluations done on paramilitary and military personal must be transferable for the purchase of firearms since they already handle them daily.
Members of the military who have returned from an armed conflict must undergo psychiatric evaluations regardless if they wish to purchase firearms.

The weapons that are permitted for personal use should be regulated by each country according to their own laws.

Description: To ensure that all citizens have to right to defend themselves and to own firearms:
Definitions: Firearm - a weapon from which any projectile can be discharged which launches a projectile through chemical energy, magnetic force or fires directed energy and that is capable of causing serious bodily injury or death to a person, whether it be made professionally or by the individual.
Professionally made - a firearm that is manufactured by an Arms manufacturing business
Arms manufacturing business - business engaged in the manufacturing of firearms and/or ammunition for purposes of sale or distribution
Individually made or improvised - a firearm manufactured by someone other than an arms manufacturing business and is typically constructed by adapting existing materials.

Mandates:

Background checks and psychiatric evaluations (or equivalent) must be mandatory for all wishing to purchase firearms, whether it be for collection or self defence. This is to prevent mentally unstable individuals, terrorists and other potential criminals from having access to weapons.

That background and psychiatric evaluations done on paramilitary and military personal must be transferable for the purchase of firearms since they already handle them daily.
Members of the military who have returned from an armed conflict must undergo psychiatric evaluations regardless if they wish to purchase firearms.

The weapons that are permitted for personal use should be regulated by each country according to their own laws.

Due to the recent discovery of a clause in the WA that threatens the sovereignty of our nation we have decided to withdraw from the WA.
The Article in question is:
Section III:
The Role of the World Assembly:
Article 9 § Every WA Member State has the duty to carry out in good faith its obligations arising from treaties and other sources of international law, including this World Assembly, and it may not invoke provisions in its constitution or its laws as an excuse for failure to perform this duty.

Since we do not believe any nation or group of nations should have the power to force policy on another nation this caused our withdrawal. Although we strongly wish that all nations in the multiverse allow their citizens access to firearms we have come to the conclusion that this would be impossible due to the presence of tyrannical dictatorships that infringe upon the basic human rights of their citizens.
Last edited by Alvisiror on Thu May 28, 2015 10:17 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Our main religion is atheism but all other religions are respected.
My Factbook
When I am RPing with you I may use different Army Ranks
I am atheist
Anti-Non prescription drugs (weed, meth, cocaine e.t.c)
Anti-LGBT and transgender/transexual
Pro-Choice within reason
Pro-Death Penalty
I support the US Second Amendment
If you got a problem with any of this than too bad you don't have to like me
5 Peace
4 Battle Ready
3 War
2 WMD use authorized
1 You don't want to know
Economic Left/Right: -2.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.46

IATA Member

The Dark Star Republic
Senator

Founded: Oct 19, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Dark Star Republic » Wed May 27, 2015 8:19 am

OOC: Why does there need to be a version 2.0?

Alvisiror
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Alvisiror » Wed May 27, 2015 8:26 am

The Dark Star Republic wrote:"Amendments are illegal."

~ Daisy Chinmusic
Legislative Intern

The Dark Star Republic wrote:OOC: Why does there need to be a version 2.0?

OOC: Because amendments are illegal and the original version sucks
My Factbook
I am atheist
Pro-Choice within reason
Pro-Death Penalty
5 Peace
4 Battle Ready
3 War
2 WMD use authorized
1 You don't want to know

IATA Member

Flibbleites
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jan 02, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Flibbleites » Wed May 27, 2015 8:31 am

Alvisiror wrote:
The Dark Star Republic wrote:"Amendments are illegal."

~ Daisy Chinmusic
Legislative Intern

The Dark Star Republic wrote:OOC: Why does there need to be a version 2.0?

OOC: Because amendments are illegal and the original version sucks

The original version is not going to pass without a massive shift in the votes so the fact that amendments are illegal is irrelevant. The question is, why does the WA need to legislate on what is an issue best dealt with on a national level?

Bob Flibble
WA Representative

The Dark Star Republic
Senator

Founded: Oct 19, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Dark Star Republic » Wed May 27, 2015 8:33 am

Alvisiror wrote:OOC: Because amendments are illegal and the original version sucks

OOC: It sucks because it exists. Rewriting it won't change that. The WA has twice by overwhelming margin voted against Right to Bear Arms proposals. The lesson shouldn't "let's try again".

Hackonia
Lobbyist

Founded: Oct 30, 2006
Ex-Nation

Opposed

Postby Hackonia » Wed May 27, 2015 8:38 am

No reason to bring this up again, it failed badly the first time and the right to own guns is not something the people of Hackonia are concerned with. Our low crime and virtually non-existent murder rate are points of pride and adding guns to the mix can only make things worse. Our citizens may continue to hunt and have target practice with their traditional bows and arrows, they have no need for firearms.

Alvisiror
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Alvisiror » Wed May 27, 2015 8:40 am

The Dark Star Republic wrote:OOC: It sucks because it exists. Rewriting it won't change that. The WA has twice by overwhelming margin voted against Right to Bear Arms proposals. The lesson shouldn't "let's try again".

OOC: I recently rejoined the WA so I didn't know this legislation existed before. The reason I voted against it is because it was too vague and would make gun control illegal. That is why I rewrote a better version of it in which guns are legal and gun control is mandatory.
My Factbook
I am atheist
Pro-Choice within reason
Pro-Death Penalty
5 Peace
4 Battle Ready
3 War
2 WMD use authorized
1 You don't want to know

IATA Member

Forlini and its Dominion
Envoy

Founded: Feb 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Forlini and its Dominion » Wed May 27, 2015 8:41 am

"We see this second version of the said proposal as redundant and unnecessary."

- Ambassador Montazeri, speaking to fellow permanent representatives at a cafe right across WAHQ

-Larry- (Ancient)
Attaché

Founded: May 24, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby -Larry- (Ancient) » Wed May 27, 2015 8:44 am

OOC: stop using OOC to talk about IC things.

Sierra Lyricalia
Senator

Founded: Nov 29, 2008
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Sierra Lyricalia » Wed May 27, 2015 8:49 am

Alvisiror wrote:...That is why I rewrote a better version of it in which guns are legal and gun control is mandatory.

OOC: If that were what you'd done, perhaps you could make this argument. What I see is three paragraphs about psychological evaluations and one platitude about national regulation. Nowhere did you write anything which makes "guns [] legal and gun control [] mandatory." This does almost exactly as little as the other one, then, just slightly in the opposite direction.
Principal-Agent, Anarchy; Squadron Admiral [fmr], The Red Fleet
The Semi-Honorable Leonid Berkman Pavonis
Author: 354 GA / Issues 436, 451, 724
Ambassador Pro Tem
Tech Level: Complicated (or not: 7/0/6 i.e. 12) / RP Details
Jerk, Ideological Deviant, Roach, MT Army stooge, & "red [who] do[es]n't read" (various)
Illustrious Bum #279

Excidium Planetis
Powerbroker

Founded: May 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Excidium Planetis » Wed May 27, 2015 10:04 am

Firearm - a weapon from which any projectile can be discharged and that is capable of causing serious bodily injury or death to a person, whether it be made professionally or by the individual.

Slingshots are now firearms, apparently.
Current Ambassador: Adelia Meritt
Ex-Ambassador: Cornelia Schultz, author of GA#355 and GA#368.
#MakeLegislationFunnyAgain
Singaporean Transhumans wrote:You didn't know about Excidium? The greatest space nomads in the NS multiverse with a healthy dose (read: over 9000 percent) of realism?
Saveyou Island wrote:"Warmest welcomes to the Assembly, ambassador. You'll soon learn to hate everyone here."
Imperium Anglorum wrote:Digital Network Defence is pretty meh
Tier 9 nation, according to my index.Made of nomadic fleets.

News: AI wins Dawn Fleet election for High Counselor.

Remokistan
Civil Servant

Founded: May 24, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Remokistan » Wed May 27, 2015 10:49 am

:rofl:

That could be true though, depending on what you're firing

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Wed May 27, 2015 12:14 pm

Excidium Planetis wrote:
Firearm - a weapon from which any projectile can be discharged and that is capable of causing serious bodily injury or death to a person, whether it be made professionally or by the individual.

<sarcasm> Our slingshots throw projectiles of self-contained semi-stable antimatter! They are obviously firearms! </sarcasm>

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Alvisiror
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Alvisiror » Wed May 27, 2015 12:30 pm

Excidium Planetis wrote:

If it is not capable of causing serious injury or death than it is not a firearm. So technically a slingshot that just shoots paper is not a firearm but if rocks are used than it is.
My Factbook
I am atheist
Pro-Choice within reason
Pro-Death Penalty
5 Peace
4 Battle Ready
3 War
2 WMD use authorized
1 You don't want to know

IATA Member

Shazbotdom
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 28, 2004
Anarchy

Postby Shazbotdom » Wed May 27, 2015 12:41 pm

Alvisiror wrote:
Excidium Planetis wrote:

If it is not capable of causing serious injury or death than it is not a firearm. So technically a slingshot that just shoots paper is not a firearm but if rocks are used than it is.

Slingshots can be used to propel BB's, Rocks, etc. Which CAN cause serious injury. Therefore by the definition that you have given, they are classified as a "Firearm".
ShazWeb || IIWiki || Discord: shazbertbot || 1 x NFL Picks League Champion (2021)
CosmoCast || SISA || CCD || CrawDaddy || SCIA || COPEC || Boudreaux's || CLS || SNC || ShazAir || BHC || TWO
NHL: NYR 1 - 0 WSH | COL 0 - 1 WPG | VGK 0 - 0 DAL || NBA: NOLA (8) 0 - 1 OKC (1)
NCAA MBB: Tulane 22-18 | LSU 25-16 || NCAA WSB: LSU 35-10

Sierra Lyricalia
Senator

Founded: Nov 29, 2008
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Sierra Lyricalia » Wed May 27, 2015 1:39 pm

Alvisiror wrote:
Excidium Planetis wrote:

...and you don't see why this is an enormous problem for your proposal?

:palm:

Here's a suggestion for something to add to the next draft, then: lighter fluid and a match.
Principal-Agent, Anarchy; Squadron Admiral [fmr], The Red Fleet
The Semi-Honorable Leonid Berkman Pavonis
Author: 354 GA / Issues 436, 451, 724
Ambassador Pro Tem
Tech Level: Complicated (or not: 7/0/6 i.e. 12) / RP Details
Jerk, Ideological Deviant, Roach, MT Army stooge, & "red [who] do[es]n't read" (various)
Illustrious Bum #279

Excidium Planetis
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Excidium Planetis » Wed May 27, 2015 2:41 pm

Alvisiror wrote:
Excidium Planetis wrote:

Please explain the difference between a paper shooting slingshot and a rock shooting slingshot. I was under the impression that you could load pretty much any small object into a slingshot. How would you determine which slingshots are firearms and which ones are not?
Singaporean Transhumans wrote:You didn't know about Excidium? The greatest space nomads in the NS multiverse with a healthy dose (read: over 9000 percent) of realism?
Saveyou Island wrote:"Warmest welcomes to the Assembly, ambassador. You'll soon learn to hate everyone here."

Herby
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 13, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Herby » Wed May 27, 2015 2:53 pm

Wait... what am I reading here? You want to ensure that "all citizens have the right to defend themselves and own firearms"... by mandating background checks and psychiatric evaluations? Are you trying to loosen gun control as per your description, or tighten gun control as per your active clauses?
-- Ambassador #53. From the nation of Herby. But you can call me Herby.

Herby's doors and windows are ALWAYS locked when she's in the Strangers' Bar (unless she unlocks them for you). And, she has no accelerator, a mock steering wheel, and no gear shifter. So, no joyrides.

Alvisiror
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Alvisiror » Wed May 27, 2015 9:03 pm

Herby wrote:Wait... what am I reading here? You want to ensure that "all citizens have the right to defend themselves and own firearms"... by mandating background checks and psychiatric evaluations? Are you trying to loosen gun control as per your description, or tighten gun control as per your active clauses?

Give people the right to own firearms but make sure they go through background checks and psychiatric evaluations.

Excidium Planetis wrote:
Alvisiror wrote:

Please explain the difference between a paper shooting slingshot and a rock shooting slingshot. I was under the impression that you could load pretty much any small object into a slingshot. How would you determine which slingshots are firearms and which ones are not?

OOC:I guess I should change the definition of a firearm since slingshots are not the primary concern. Originally I was thinking of "a weapon that has a barrel through which a projectile can be discharged and that is capable of causing serious bodily injury or death to a person whether it be made professionally or by the individual" but I felt that there may be some nations with firearms that did not use barrels and could have some other delivery system which I hadn't thought of.
My Factbook
I am atheist
Pro-Choice within reason
Pro-Death Penalty
5 Peace
4 Battle Ready
3 War
2 WMD use authorized
1 You don't want to know

IATA Member

Excidium Planetis
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Excidium Planetis » Wed May 27, 2015 9:13 pm

Alvisiror wrote:
Herby wrote:Wait... what am I reading here? You want to ensure that "all citizens have the right to defend themselves and own firearms"... by mandating background checks and psychiatric evaluations? Are you trying to loosen gun control as per your description, or tighten gun control as per your active clauses?

Give people the right to own firearms but make sure they go through background checks and psychiatric evaluations.

Excidium Planetis wrote:

OOC:I guess I should change the definition of a firearm since slingshots are not the primary concern. Originally I was thinking of "a weapon that has a barrel through which a projectile can be discharged and that is capable of causing serious bodily injury or death to a person whether it be made professionally or by the individual" but I felt that there may be some nations with firearms that did not use barrels and could have some other delivery system which I hadn't thought of.

How about "a weapon which either A) launches a projectile through chemical energy or magnetic force or B) fires directed energy"

That should cover all "guns" and rockets as well as railguns, coilguns, and directed energy weapons.

Tinfect
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 04, 2014
Democratic Socialists

Postby Tinfect » Wed May 27, 2015 9:15 pm

"Ambassador, let's not do this again. The original proposal is currently failing by a wide margin, and no modifications you can make to the concept will salvage the inevitable trainwreck of a proposal on this subject. As explained in the earlier discussion, The Imperium sees no reason why a Civilian should be allowed access to Military Technology, when other, non-lethal methods of Self Defence are available, more easily obtained, and, most importantly, Legal. Military Technology, such as Firearms, is something that only the Military should have access to. A Civilian has no more need of a 47th Series D Pulse Rifle, than a T-34 Anti-Vehicle Railgun, and has no right to access either of them. The simplest way to keep Military Technology out of the hands of Criminals, is to ensure that no Firearms enter the Public Service, thus, the only way to obtain such weaponry, would be to either steal it from the Military, which, due to the Criminals lacking weaponry, is impossible, or to construct it themselves, which is quite a large risk, if you want it to be even marginally effective against Military-Grade Technology.
Yours, like all other attempts to write such a proposal, gives no adequate reason for why a Civilian would require use of Lethal Weaponry."
Raslin Seretis, Imperial Diplomatic Envoy, He/Him
Tolarn Feren, Civil Oversight Representative, He/Him
Jasot Rehlan, Military Oversight Representative, She/Her

Bisexual, Transgender (She/Her), Native-American, and Actual CommunistTM.

Imperium Central News Network: EMERGENCY ALERT: ALL CITIZENS ARE TO PROCEED TO EVACUATION SITES IMMEDIATELY | EMERGENCY ALERT: ALL FURTHER SUBSPACE SIGNALS AND SYSTEMS ARE TO BE DISABLED IMMEDIATELY | EMERGENCY ALERT: THE FOLLOWING SYSTEMS ARE ACCESS PROHIBITED BY STANDARD/BLACKOUT [Error: Format Unrecognized] | Indomitable Bastard #283
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Alvisiror
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Alvisiror » Wed May 27, 2015 9:18 pm

Tinfect wrote:"Ambassador, let's not do this again. The original proposal is currently failing by a wide margin, and no modifications you can make to the concept will salvage the inevitable trainwreck of a proposal on this subject. As explained in the earlier discussion, The Imperium sees no reason why a Civilian should be allowed access to Military Technology, when other, non-lethal methods of Self Defence are available, more easily obtained, and, most importantly, Legal. Military Technology, such as Firearms, is something that only the Military should have access to. A Civilian has no more need of a 47th Series D Pulse Rifle, than a T-34 Anti-Vehicle Railgun, and has no right to access either of them. The simplest way to keep Military Technology out of the hands of Criminals, is to ensure that no Firearms enter the Public Service, thus, the only way to obtain such weaponry, would be to either steal it from the Military, which, due to the Criminals lacking weaponry, is impossible, or to construct it themselves, which is quite a large risk, if you want it to be even marginally effective against Military-Grade Technology.
Yours, like all other attempts to write such a proposal, gives no adequate reason for why a Civilian would require use of Lethal Weaponry."

As stated in the draft, it is up to each nation to determine which weapons are accessible to the civilian population. Your nation does not have to provide top of the line military grade hardware to civilians.
My Factbook
I am atheist
Pro-Choice within reason
Pro-Death Penalty
5 Peace
4 Battle Ready
3 War
2 WMD use authorized
1 You don't want to know

IATA Member

Alvisiror
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Alvisiror » Wed May 27, 2015 9:22 pm

Excidium Planetis wrote:
How about "a weapon which either A) launches a projectile through chemical energy or magnetic force or B) fires directed energy"

That should cover all "guns" and rockets as well as railguns, coilguns, and directed energy weapons.

Thanks the second draft has been posted using the first suggested change
My Factbook
I am atheist
Pro-Choice within reason
Pro-Death Penalty
5 Peace
4 Battle Ready
3 War
2 WMD use authorized
1 You don't want to know

IATA Member

Tinfect
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 04, 2014
Democratic Socialists

Postby Tinfect » Wed May 27, 2015 9:23 pm

Alvisiror wrote:As stated in the draft, it is up to each nation to determine which weapons are accessible to the civilian population. Your nation does not have to provide top of the line military grade hardware to civilians.

"And what would you have us provide them with? Decade-Old Technology? That would still provide them access to fully-capable Military Grade hardware. And that still does not address the issue to Criminals obtaining weapons. This law would still make it several hundred times easier to obtain weaponry, with comparatively little risk to our current state. I am not sure how things go in your Nation, but the Imperium has had only one Firearm related crime in the last decade. This proposal would cause such crimes to take place with alarming regularity."
Raslin Seretis, Imperial Diplomatic Envoy, He/Him
Tolarn Feren, Civil Oversight Representative, He/Him
Jasot Rehlan, Military Oversight Representative, She/Her

Bisexual, Transgender (She/Her), Native-American, and Actual CommunistTM.

Imperium Central News Network: EMERGENCY ALERT: ALL CITIZENS ARE TO PROCEED TO EVACUATION SITES IMMEDIATELY | EMERGENCY ALERT: ALL FURTHER SUBSPACE SIGNALS AND SYSTEMS ARE TO BE DISABLED IMMEDIATELY | EMERGENCY ALERT: THE FOLLOWING SYSTEMS ARE ACCESS PROHIBITED BY STANDARD/BLACKOUT [Error: Format Unrecognized] | Indomitable Bastard #283
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Herby
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 13, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Herby » Wed May 27, 2015 9:25 pm

Alvisiror wrote:

One, you did not answer the question -- tighten or loosen gun control? -- and, two, nothing in your active clauses gives anyone the right to own firearms. You have a preamble that states that your goal is to ensure the right to bear arms, but then your legislative clauses don't do that. Not only does this proposal actually take rights away from a subset of citizens by mandating background checks and psychological evaluations, making it harder for some to own guns, but your last paragraph can be taken as a blocker -- you're allowing individual nations to self-regulate.

So, okay, guns are now totally outlawed in my nation. Am I in compliance with this resolution as written? Well, except for the preamble, which is not legislative in nature anyway... yes I am! Sure, if someone in my nation wants to own a gun, I can do a background check and send them out to a shrink, but then... that's it, I can still forbid them from legally owning a gun, whether they pass or fail.
-- Ambassador #53. From the nation of Herby. But you can call me Herby.

Herby's doors and windows are ALWAYS locked when she's in the Strangers' Bar (unless she unlocks them for you). And, she has no accelerator, a mock steering wheel, and no gear shifter. So, no joyrides.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly