NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] Protected Status in Wartime

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Losthaven
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Dec 31, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Losthaven » Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:02 am

Sobaira wrote:
Losthaven wrote:Taking a step back from genocide, what will this do to domestic spying? (OOC: Think how effective James Bond would be if he were prohibited from dressing as a civilian).

The ambassador for Sobaira coughed to let her presence be known before chiming in, "Excuse me, honourable ambassador, I do be believing that the legislator has already addressed this issue. If my aide could get me the minutes..." one of her aides handed her some documents and she began to read from them,

Separatist Peoples wrote:"And furthermore, the proposal specifically applies to combatants. That indicates troops who are involved in fighting. Spies don't fight. Their job is to blend and pass along intelligence. They aren't all James Bond imitators who shoot their way through enemy bases, they collect and transmit intel. No fighting. As such, nothing, absolutely nothing, in this resolution prevents human intelligence assets, military or civilian, from changing garb to blend, so long as they don't engage in combat operations."

She handed the documents back, "Thank you for your time, ambassador," and sat back down, trying her best to ignore the plethora of threatening statements lobbed between the ambassador of the UWA and the persons engaged in more 'spirited' discussion with them.

Nonsense. Spies are combatants.
Once a great nation, a true superpower; now just watching the world go by

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Separatist Peoples » Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:07 am

Losthaven wrote:
Separatist Peoples wrote:"And yet the Secretariat has made no attempt to remove or correct this, and this has been in drafting for MONTHS. File a GHR if you feel you must, but this clearly hasn't sent up red flags.

OOC: I didn't mention this in my IC post above, but I'll do so here. Obviously, amidst the backslapping and praise, no one thought to even bring up that you may have selected the wrong category. Neither did I; I personally let it slide because I can see a very distant argument that we are protecting the rights of civilians, medics, etc., by prohibiting soldiers from falsely assuming their protections, as that encourages enemy soldiers to respect those protections. For example, if enemy soldiers are sure that someone who looks like a civilian is not a soldier in disguise they will be less likely to shoot first and ask questions later.

But I think it's a pretty weak argument. And, really, it's really not clear from the preamble or the arguments made in this thread how this improves civil freedoms even in the weak way discussed above. The most direct consequence of this law is that the free actions of soldiers and military commanders are reduced, on the grounds that it is unfair perfidy to allow certain kinds of deception. Either Moral Decency or Political Stability are likely better categories for future resolutions that regulated what militaries can and cannot do tactically.

My IC response to a proposal that passes but in the wrong category (at least in my opinion, but here I think objectively so) is to treat it as a broken promise. That is, Losthaven will behave as if this law promised to improve civil freedoms but has in fact failed to do so. Hence, my IC response above.

OOC: that's a fair assessment, I suppose. My reasoning was, as much earlier stated, it has a very similar effect as Rules of Surrender, which was rules as legal under Human Rights. The goal was for consistency in this endeavor. Regardless of it's' perceived failure at protecting civil rights, it still protects the human rights, mostly the right to not be killed, of non-military entities in a conflict zone. I struggle to see a situation where that can be perceived as a failure.

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:22 am

Losthaven wrote:
Separatist Peoples wrote:"And yet the Secretariat has made no attempt to remove or correct this, and this has been in drafting for MONTHS. File a GHR if you feel you must, but this clearly hasn't sent up red flags.

"As for "good cause", there is no possible definition of good cause that isn't so subjective as to gut this. There is no time it is acceptable to risk drawing in a neutral power by utilizing a neutral party's insignia. There are alternatives available in every situation, and nations are expected to utilize them instead of poorly justifying perfidy. I reject the notion that a nation may act perfidiously in the name of "the greater good", as that greater good is rarely sufficiently objective."

There's no reason to define good cause, but a good cause exception should nonetheless have been allowed. There are always exceptions when it comes to military struggle - frankly, we need only imagine what limits we would respect if a great, evil force threatened to commit some horrible genocide on us to realize that any deception under those circumstances would be justifiable (whether to resist, escape, etc.)

Taking a step back from genocide, what will this do to domestic spying? (OOC: Think how effective James Bond would be if he were prohibited from dressing as a civilian).

Losthaven has no military to speak of and we rely on diplomacy and the goodwill of our neighbors to keep us safe. That said, we remain concerned that our allies will be significantly disadvantaged because this resolution paints with too broad a brush and outlaws activities which - under the right circumstances - could not possibly be viewed as war crimes.

"I believe your concerns regarding espionage were addressed, so I'll focus on your concerns regarding exceptions. I'm sure philosophers will wrestle until the end of time with the question of whether the ends justify the means. It is my position, as my writing reflects it, that doing a good thing in a bad way is still a harm, not only in reference to that particular action, but because of the precedence such an action will have. I an example wherein two powers, one a theological entity and one a secular one, engage in military action, both could, and probably do, consider the other an evil worthy of breaking the rules to defeat. Both would utilize that subjective exception to justify an action that actively corrodes the trust nations rely on to prevent the deaths of innocents. The WA, having allowed such a breach to occur, would be tacitly approving that exception to any power that could conjure a justification for themselves, regardless of the actual validity. And the law would be gutted.

"I'm sure you are well aware of what would happen, but I outline it for the sake of those not as familiar with this line of reasoning. There is just no possible phrasing of exceptions that could possibly cover all reasonable circumstances without also gutting the law. It simply isn't realistic."

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!

Sobaira
Attaché

Founded: Apr 27, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Sobaira » Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:38 am

Losthaven wrote:Nonsense. Spies are combatants.

The ambassador gave the document a reading, before speaking up, "Honourable ambassador, here it says that spies can be indeed considered a combatant, but only if they take direct part in combat. The list of unprivileged combatants covers this, saying:

Spies, mercenaries, child soldiers, and civilians who take a direct part in combat

So we believe this indicates that as long as they do not take direct part in combat, such as they are to be limited to engaging in espionage, gathering and trading intelligence and the like, that they are therefore not combatants by your own source for definition. Thank you for your time, again, ambassador."
Last edited by Sobaira on Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pro: Liberation, Solidarity, Self Defence, Veganism, Environmentalism, Scientific Exploration, GRSM, Proletarian Feminism, Communism
Anti: Colonialism, Imperialism, Racism, Sexism, Transphobia, Homophobia, Cissexism, Binarism, Audism, Ableism, Heteronormativity, Carnism, Religious Bigotry, Islamophobia, Hate Speech, Slavery, Feudalism, Liberalism, Neo-Liberalism, Fascism, Capitalism

Losthaven
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Dec 31, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Losthaven » Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:20 am

Sobaira wrote:
Losthaven wrote:Nonsense. Spies are combatants.

The ambassador gave the document a reading, before speaking up, "Honourable ambassador, here it says that spies can be indeed considered a combatant, but only if they take direct part in combat. The list of unprivileged combatants covers this, saying:

Spies, mercenaries, child soldiers, and civilians who take a direct part in combat

So we believe this indicates that as long as they do not take direct part in combat, such as they are to be limited to engaging in espionage, gathering and trading intelligence and the like, that they are therefore not combatants by your own source for definition. Thank you for your time, again, ambassador."

Erhem... In any event, congratulations to the author on successful passage of this proposal, with a supermajority no less. :clap:

- Yanaria Lanham-Byars, Esteemed Representative and Voice of the People of Losthaven
Last edited by Losthaven on Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
Once a great nation, a true superpower; now just watching the world go by

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:29 am

Losthaven wrote:
Sobaira wrote:

Erhem... In any event, congratulations to the author on successful passage of this proposal, with a supermajority no less. :clap:

- Yanaria Lanham-Byars, Esteemed Representative and Voice of the People of Losthaven

"Thank you, Ambassador. I want to assure you that your concerns were deeply considered by this delegation, and were in no way dismissed. Regardless of our political differences and, indeed, regardless of the outcome of the vote, your input was very much appreciated and highly valued."

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:21 pm

Separatist Peoples wrote:
Losthaven wrote:Erhem... In any event, congratulations to the author on successful passage of this proposal, with a supermajority no less. :clap:

"Thank you, Ambassador. I want to assure you that your concerns were deeply considered by this delegation, and were in no way dismissed. Regardless of our political differences and, indeed, regardless of the outcome of the vote, your input was very much appreciated and highly valued."

Parsons: 'May, I, Your excellency, present to you... a WA Stranger Bar burrito!'

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Caracasus
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 23, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Caracasus » Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:49 am

May we congratulate you ambassador on passing a much needed and well thought out piece of legislation.
As an editor I seam to spend an awful lot of thyme going threw issues and checking that they're no oblivious errars. Its a tough job but someone's got too do it!

Issues editor, not a moderator.

Percussionland
Envoy

Founded: Apr 06, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Percussionland » Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:33 am

Percussionland offers it's congratulations on the passing of an excellent resolution that is sure to promote peace and the success of humanitarian aid missions. :clap:
-From the Desk of Keith Starr, Percussionland Ambassador To the World Assembly

Percussionland President: Ringo Bonham
Vice President: Ronnie Watts
Chairman of The Senate: John Moon
Chairman of The Armed Forces: Charlie Wood

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:26 am

Imperium Anglorum wrote:

Parsons: 'May, I, Your excellency, present to you... a WA Stranger Bar burrito!'

"Well, I was going to share a bottle of pilfered Stellonian booze with you in celebration, but I think a duel is a more appropriate response to that gesture." :p

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:08 pm

Imperium Anglorum wrote:Parsons: 'May, I, Your excellency, present to you... a WA Stranger Bar burrito!'

"Well, I was going to share a bottle of pilfered Stellonian booze with you in celebration, but I think a duel is a more appropriate response to that gesture." :p

Parsons: Are you challenging me? If you are, then I get to pick the weapons and the location, you know, per the rules of duelling. And man, I will be picking some exotic locales and weapons. Secondarily, first blood or death?

Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:47 pm

Imperium Anglorum wrote:
Separatist Peoples wrote:"Well, I was going to share a bottle of pilfered Stellonian booze with you in celebration, but I think a duel is a more appropriate response to that gesture." :p

Parsons: Are you challenging me? If you are, then I get to pick the weapons and the location, you know, per the rules of duelling. And man, I will be picking some exotic locales and weapons. Secondarily, first blood or death?

"Not quite what I meant, but sure. Say, cheap liquor at 20 paces, the Bar, in twenty minutes? First one to puke loses!"

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:00 pm

Imperium Anglorum wrote:Parsons: Are you challenging me? If you are, then I get to pick the weapons and the location, you know, per the rules of duelling. And man, I will be picking some exotic locales and weapons. Secondarily, first blood or death?

"Not quite what I meant, but sure. Say, cheap liquor at 20 paces, the Bar, in twenty minutes? First one to puke loses!"

Parsons: A challenge! Okay. I pick sabres, on horseback, in Oxbridge field at Oxbridge. Or, more dramatically, we can do mortars at 30 paces. But I prefer dreadnoughts in any saltwater ocean. Come to think on it, I think dreadnoughts will be the best option. I'll be picking that.

Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:18 pm

Imperium Anglorum wrote:
Separatist Peoples wrote:"Not quite what I meant, but sure. Say, cheap liquor at 20 paces, the Bar, in twenty minutes? First one to puke loses!"

Parsons: A challenge! Okay. I pick sabres, on horseback, in Oxbridge field at Oxbridge. Or, more dramatically, we can do mortars at 30 paces. But I prefer dreadnoughts in any saltwater ocean. Come to think on it, I think dreadnoughts will be the best option. I'll be picking that.

"Very well. You go to the docks, and I'll go to the Bar, and we'll see who wins. I guess...wait, dreadnaughts? As in, to joust with? Is that what your people do?"

The Defwaen Confederation
Attaché

Founded: Jul 07, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby The Defwaen Confederation » Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:20 pm

Some people just aren't satisfied with an affordable beverage
Last edited by The Defwaen Confederation on Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:41 pm

Imperium Anglorum wrote:Parsons: A challenge! Okay. I pick sabres, on horseback, in Oxbridge field at Oxbridge. Or, more dramatically, we can do mortars at 30 paces. But I prefer dreadnoughts in any saltwater ocean. Come to think on it, I think dreadnoughts will be the best option. I'll be picking that.

"Very well. You go to the docks, and I'll go to the Bar, and we'll see who wins. I guess...wait, dreadnaughts? As in, to joust with? Is that what your people do?"

Parsons: No, good Sir. To duel with.
Intern Elisa: Your Grace, the dreadnought HMS Delenda is here.
Parsons: Ah! Perfect. Anyway, Bell, you'll have some 2 tonne 12-inch projectiles headed at you.

Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley

Whovian Tardisia
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 25, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Whovian Tardisia » Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:40 am

Congratulations, Separatist Peoples! I propose an all round toast, drinks on me.
An FT (Class W11) nation capable of space travel, but has never attempted invading another planet. The Space Brigade is for defense only! Also, something happened to Ambassador Pink.
From the desk of Rupert Pink:
The Grand Gallifreyan Republic of Whovian Tardisia
Floor 12, Office 42 of WAHQ
Proud patron of the World Assembly Stranger's Bar.
The Interstellar Cartographers are back! This time, they explore Methuselah.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives