NATION

PASSWORD

[Draft?] Linguistic Protection Act

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Mizentia
Spokesperson

Founded: Feb 27, 2014
Ex-Nation

[Draft?] Linguistic Protection Act

Postby Mizentia » Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:14 pm

Linguistic Protection Act
A resolution to promote funding and the development of education and the arts.

Category: Education and Creativity
Area of Effect: Cultural Heritage
Proposed by: Mizentia

Description: The World Assembly,

UNDERSTANDING language is intimately entwined with cultural identity

SEEKING to protect the rich linguistic heritage and diversity of the world community

CONCERNED that every language which goes extinct is an irreplaceable cultural, anthropological, and informational loss

The World Assembly hereby;

PROHIBITS member states from enacting policies aimed at the eradication of any particular language or dialect

RECOMMENDS member states to publish signs, bulletins, and other public notices of the government in the language or dialect of the local inhabitants as well as the official language of administration, where applicable

DECLARES the World Assembly shall provide grants and other endowments to academies, universities, and other institutions of higher learning for the pursuit of the following research objectives:
- to take full account of the languages and dialects of the world, and to issue a regular reporting of languages deemed to be in threat of extinction
- to study and record the structure, syntax, and all other linguistic details of all the languages of the world, prioritizing this endeavor to emphasize languages most in danger of extinction
- to research extinct languages and endeavor to reconstruct their structure, syntax, etc.
- to endeavor, wherever a language is found to have no written or physical representation, to create a written system for representing the language in question

All the findings and results of WA-funded research and field work shall be stored in the WA Universal Library, as a safe, secure, and centralized database for the benefit of all future sapientkind.

SUGGESTS the endeavor of creating and disseminating a single, universal language for the consideration of all member states

I had this idea earlier and I typed it up real quick. This would be Education and Creativity, under Cultural Heritage.

Has anyone done this already? I didn't see any blockers but I'll check again.
Last edited by Mizentia on Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:35 pm, edited 15 times in total.

Jarish Inyo
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Jarish Inyo » Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:18 pm

Been tried and failed. There is no reason for nations to let any language other then a nation's official language(s) be read, taught, or spoken within their borders. Also, this proposal would require any language that children make up to be studied and record the structure, syntax, and all other linguistic details of all the languages of the world, prioritizing this endeavor to emphasize languages most in danger of extinction
Ambassador Nameless
Empire of Jaresh Inyo

Mizentia
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Mizentia » Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:25 pm

Jarish Inyo wrote:Been tried and failed. There is no reason for nations to let any language other then a nation's official language(s) be read, taught, or spoken within their borders. Also, this proposal would require any language that children make up to be studied and record the structure, syntax, and all other linguistic details of all the languages of the world, prioritizing this endeavor to emphasize languages most in danger of extinction

I don't think languages invented by children would really fit the definition but maybe I could just tighten it a little.

Absolutely you should be required to let other languages be read, taught, and spoken. There are no justifications I can think of that don't involve some sort of discriminatory, racist, or genocidal rationalization.

The last attempt failed because it was poorly written. This one will be different
Last edited by Mizentia on Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jarish Inyo
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Jarish Inyo » Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:52 pm

There are no reasons for nations to should be required to let other languages be read, taught, and spoken. Why should they have to have forms in multiple languages? Why should they need to have to have employees have to speak several languages so that they can do their jobs? Why should they cater to people that have come into their nation without learning the nations language? Why should they have to cater to others when their language is part of the nation's cultural identity? Why shouldn't a nation require that anyone living in their borders not speak and read the same language? Why should they not eliminate the expense of printing all their forms in multiple languages?

This proposal will do no better then the last one. This is not written any better. This will be no different. Nor do you make a convincing argument for allowing foreign languages to be used in other nations.

Languages go extinct for a reason. There is no reason to attempt to keep them going if no one speaks them. Nor is there any reason to resurrect extinct languages.

DEFINES for this purpose, a ‘language’ as a distinct organized and structured system of communication used to convey thoughts, feelings, or concepts within a group of people who are of the same community or nation, the same geographical area, or the same cultural tradition

Your definition of language would make any made up language official.
Ambassador Nameless
Empire of Jaresh Inyo

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Separatist Peoples » Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:54 pm

Mizentia wrote:
Jarish Inyo wrote:Been tried and failed. There is no reason for nations to let any language other then a nation's official language(s) be read, taught, or spoken within their borders. Also, this proposal would require any language that children make up to be studied and record the structure, syntax, and all other linguistic details of all the languages of the world, prioritizing this endeavor to emphasize languages most in danger of extinction

I don't think languages invented by children would really fit the definition but maybe I could just tighten it a little.

Absolutely you should be required to let other languages be read, taught, and spoken. There are no justifications I can think of that don't involve some sort of discriminatory, racist, or genocidal rationalization.

The last attempt failed because it was poorly written. This one will be different

"Technically, Freedom of Expression already lets citizens speak in whatever language they want, contrary to what Ambassador Nameless says, but he does have a point about teaching and creating signage in other languages: the C.D.S.P. has zero intention of paying for signage in Bigtopian. Extra signage in extra languages is expensive and makes integration more difficult."

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

Mizentia
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Mizentia » Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:57 pm

Jarish Inyo wrote:
DEFINES for this purpose, a ‘language’ as a distinct organized and structured system of communication used to convey thoughts, feelings, or concepts within a group of people who are of the same community or nation, the same geographical area, or the same cultural tradition

Your definition of language would make any made up language official.

How? If you make up a language, it still doesn't count because there isn't a discrete group of people who speak it on the basis of some tangible identity factor like community, geography, or culture.

Mizentia
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Mizentia » Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:58 pm

Separatist Peoples wrote:
Mizentia wrote:I don't think languages invented by children would really fit the definition but maybe I could just tighten it a little.

"Technically, Freedom of Expression already lets citizens speak in whatever language they want, contrary to what Ambassador Nameless says, but he does have a point about teaching and creating signage in other languages: the C.D.S.P. has zero intention of paying for signage in Bigtopian. Extra signage in extra languages is expensive and makes integration more difficult."

It's just a suggestion; I do suggest it though!

Maybe not for those shady Bigtopians, however....

Jarish Inyo
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Jarish Inyo » Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:05 pm

Sure it counts. As you point out, all it takes is a group of people to speak the made up language. They would be of the same community and geography. Could also be of the same culture. Your definition allows for such things.
Ambassador Nameless
Empire of Jaresh Inyo

Mizentia
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Mizentia » Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:08 pm

Jarish Inyo wrote:Sure it counts. As you point out, all it takes is a group of people to speak the made up language. They would be of the same community and geography. Could also be of the same culture. Your definition allows for such things.

If you invent a language, and a whole culture or community or geographic area of people all begin to speak that language, then isn't it for all intents and purposes a real language, as real as any other? All languages were made up at one point in time...

Jarish Inyo
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Jarish Inyo » Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:13 pm

You definition doesn't require an entire culture or community or geographic area of people to speak the made up language. It just requires a group. That includes children or a group of smart asses.
Ambassador Nameless
Empire of Jaresh Inyo

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:16 pm

Mizentia wrote:
Jarish Inyo wrote:Sure it counts. As you point out, all it takes is a group of people to speak the made up language. They would be of the same community and geography. Could also be of the same culture. Your definition allows for such things.

If you invent a language, and a whole culture or community or geographic area of people all begin to speak that language, then isn't it for all intents and purposes a real language, as real as any other? All languages were made up at one point in time...

"By that logic, the Jarish Inyoans would have to recognize Elvish, as there are individuals of an common ethnic background that read and speak it, and are a part of a multi-ethnic community that may speak it: Tolkien enthusiasts. Ambassador Nameless is correct: your current definition is flawed."

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!

Mizentia
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Mizentia » Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:19 pm

Jarish Inyo wrote:You definition doesn't require an entire culture or community or geographic area of people to speak the made up language. It just requires a group. That includes children or a group of smart asses.

group of people who are of the same community or nation, the same geographical area, or the same cultural tradition

The 'group of people' , by the wording of the sentence, is required to be a group within one of the above listed categories. The group of people may be of the same community or nation, or the group of people may be of the same geographical area, or the group of people may be of the same cultural tradition. If one of these three checks is not met, it isn't a language.

Separatist Peoples wrote:
Mizentia wrote:If you invent a language, and a whole culture or community or geographic area of people all begin to speak that language, then isn't it for all intents and purposes a real language, as real as any other? All languages were made up at one point in time...

"By that logic, the Jarish Inyoans would have to recognize Elvish, as there are individuals of an common ethnic background that read and speak it, and are a part of a multi-ethnic community that may speak it: Tolkien enthusiasts. Ambassador Nameless is correct: your current definition is flawed."

Are they really of the same community? I genuinely don't think they have a unifying identity that fits the definition I wrote. But I do understand the point
Last edited by Mizentia on Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Union of Tentacles and Grapes
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 22, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Union of Tentacles and Grapes » Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:25 pm

Mizentia wrote:
Jarish Inyo wrote:You definition doesn't require an entire culture or community or geographic area of people to speak the made up language. It just requires a group. That includes children or a group of smart asses.

group of people who are of the same community or nation, the same geographical area, or the same cultural tradition

The 'group of people' , by the wording of the sentence, is required to be a group within one of the above listed categories. The group of people may be of the same community or nation, or the group of people may be of the same geographical area, or the group of people may be of the same cultural tradition. If one of these three checks is not met, it isn't a language.

Separatist Peoples wrote:"By that logic, the Jarish Inyoans would have to recognize Elvish, as there are individuals of an common ethnic background that read and speak it, and are a part of a multi-ethnic community that may speak it: Tolkien enthusiasts. Ambassador Nameless is correct: your current definition is flawed."

Are they really of the same community? I genuinely don't think they have a unifying identity that fits the definition I wrote. But I do understand the point

If the same ethnic background is required, then this proposal does absolutely nothing but baggage the world with doomed languages. There are no major languages restricted to single ethnicities - only tribal ones that will die as those tribes are assimilated into modern life or die off in rejection of technological progress. If Sindarin doesn't count as a language, neither does esperanto, and so neither does english. Same cultural definition is too inclusive or it means nothing. Two teens could get together and invent fartese and you'd be forced to preserve it.

Also, the Union will reject this proposal as we actively destroy languages, and you're trying to make it hard for us to create a single global language.
Last edited by The Union of Tentacles and Grapes on Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:27 pm

Mizentia wrote:
Separatist Peoples wrote:"By that logic, the Jarish Inyoans would have to recognize Elvish, as there are individuals of an common ethnic background that read and speak it, and are a part of a multi-ethnic community that may speak it: Tolkien enthusiasts. Ambassador Nameless is correct: your current definition is flawed."

"As much as any diaspora would be considered a community, yes."

Mizentia
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Mizentia » Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:29 pm

The Union of Tentacles and Grapes wrote:
Mizentia wrote:

If the same ethnic background is required, then this proposal does absolutely nothing but baggage the world with doomed languages. There are no major languages restricted to single ethnicities - only tribal ones that will die as those tribes are assimilated into modern life or die off in rejection of technological progress. If Sindarin doesn't count as a language, neither does esperanto, and so neither does english.

Also, the Union will reject this proposal as we actively destroy languages, and you're trying to make it hard for us to create a single global language.

Same ethnic background is one criteria of a few.

I just copied the tail end of the dictionary definition of a language. I understand where some of the confusion is coming from, but at the same time I don't. I feel like these three criteria are pretty agreeable as the necessary basis for a language.

I mean how would you fine ambassadors define a language?

Jarish Inyo
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Jarish Inyo » Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:34 pm

No, the'group of people' by wording of the sentence does not require to be a group within a community, geographical area, or cultural traditions. Atleast not until you tried to change it. Still doesn't stop made up languages from falling under this proposal.

Yes, Tolkien enthusiasts are of the same community. There are several communities similar out there. Believe it or not, according to your definition, my nation would have to recognize Elvish, Klingon, and Vulcan. Klingon even has or had a school to teach it.
Ambassador Nameless
Empire of Jaresh Inyo

Mizentia
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Mizentia » Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:39 pm

Jarish Inyo wrote:No, the'group of people' by wording of the sentence does not require to be a group within a community, geographical area, or cultural traditions. Atleast not until you tried to change it. Still doesn't stop made up languages from falling under this proposal.

Yes, Tolkien enthusiasts are of the same community. There are several communities similar out there. Believe it or not, according to your definition, my nation would have to recognize Elvish, Klingon, and Vulcan. Klingon even has or had a school to teach it.

I think there might be some changes to work around this. I'll sleep on it and try tomorrow

The Dark Star Republic
Senator

Founded: Oct 19, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Dark Star Republic » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:23 am

OOC: You may want to look over Language Preservation and the debate on its repeal.

Goddess Relief Office
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 04, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Goddess Relief Office » Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:37 am

Mizentia wrote:CHARGES the WALA with these duties
- to take full account of the languages and dialects of the world, and to issue a regular reporting of languages deemed to be in threat of extinction
- to study and record the structure, syntax, and all other linguistic details of all the languages of the world, prioritizing this endeavor to emphasize languages most in danger of extinction
- to research extinct languages and endeavor to reconstruct their structure, syntax, etc.
- to endeavor, wherever a language is found to have no written or physical representation, to create a written system for representing the language in question.

It's assumed that at least some of the tasks you listed are already being done by universities all over the NS-sphere. Just like in real life, university professors and students have been and will continue to study, translate, and document lost languages and publish them in academic journals which act as a central repository/report of sorts.

You would have to make a case for why the GA should duplicate or take over those tasks.
Keeper of The World Tree - Yggdrasil
General Assembly:
GA#053 - Epidemic Response Act
GA#163 - Repeal LOTS
GA#223 - Transboundary Water Use Act

Security Council:
SC#030 - Commend 10000 Islands (co-author)
SC#044 - Commend Texas (co-author)
SC#066 - Repeal "Liberate Wonderful Paradise"
SC#108 - Liberate South Pacific
SC#135 - Liberate Anarchy (co-author)
SC#139 - Repeal "Liberate South Pacific"

Former delegate and retired defender
Nice links for easy reference:
Passed WA Resolutions | GA Resolutions (sorted by category) | GA Rules

The Dark Star Republic
Senator

Founded: Oct 19, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Dark Star Republic » Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:35 am

Goddess Relief Office wrote:
Mizentia wrote:CHARGES the WALA with these duties
- to endeavor, wherever a language is found to have no written or physical representation, to create a written system for representing the language in question.

It's assumed that at least some of the tasks you listed are already being done by universities all over the NS-sphere. Just like in real life, university professors and students have been and will continue to study, translate, and document lost languages and publish them in academic journals which act as a central repository/report of sorts.

You would have to make a case for why the GA should duplicate or take over those tasks.

OOC: Because those real universities might be subject to closure or prone to loss or ruin? Whereas the WA's Universal Library would be a safe, timeless resource. Any proposal on this subject would do well to make use of the Universal Library as a resource store, rather than getting the WA into the historical linguistics game, which I agree, would be pretty pointless. Defwa's recurrent ideas about cultural protection also apply here: destroying a language is as damaging as destroying an artifact.

Mizentia
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Mizentia » Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:47 am

I took some of both your ideas; I switched the focus on the research and field work to universities and other research institutions, but I added a clause so that all the findings will be stored in the WA Universal Library as a safe and centralized place for everyone to use

The Union of Tentacles and Grapes
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 22, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Union of Tentacles and Grapes » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:38 am

Mizentia wrote:I took some of both your ideas; I switched the focus on the research and field work to universities and other research institutions, but I added a clause so that all the findings will be stored in the WA Universal Library as a safe and centralized place for everyone to use

The Union still finds this unacceptable. The draft enforces protections on all languages regardless of any context for their loss or possible usage in the future. If this was passed, the WALF would be forced to complete the grammar and syntax of all elvish languages. It would also prevent the extermination of languages, which would make unification under a single global language impossible.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:43 am

Mizentia wrote:I took some of both your ideas; I switched the focus on the research and field work to universities and other research institutions, but I added a clause so that all the findings will be stored in the WA Universal Library as a safe and centralized place for everyone to use

The Union still finds this unacceptable. The draft enforces protections on all languages regardless of any context for their loss or possible usage in the future. If this was passed, the WALF would be forced to complete the grammar and syntax of all elvish languages. It would also prevent the extermination of languages, which would make unification under a single global language impossible.

"Ambassador, unification under a single language is possible without eradicating other languages. Its called multi-lingualism. Besides, you assume nations even want to be so unified. The C.D.S.P. will not, now or ever, conform to a single-world language. The world can conform to us."

Mizentia
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Mizentia » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:46 am

I'm sorry but I think if you advocate destroying languages then this may not be the resolution for you.

I think as written this bill protects IC elvish, as spoken by elvish member states and minorities and the like, yes, absolutely. I really don't think it mandates protection of Tolkien-y fantasy languages but several people now have repeatedly insisted it does so I don't know anymore
Last edited by Mizentia on Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:52 am

OOC: And if 'Star Trek' fandom counts as a cultural tradition then even in RL there's also Klingon'.

^_^
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly